Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are.
Speaker 3: Today, who are very excited for today's guests.
Speaker 2: Welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm pretty pleased by our guest reaction to my pun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very legitimate. Laughs.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do too.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, I feel like a freaking genius right now. Jonah, we're both so excited for our guests today. Not only do we love him, is he a friend, but we've both been to Europe with him, particularly to Amsterdam. And yeah, Jonah, do you remember that trip with Bill to Amsterdam when we were I guess we were on the train Wreck publicity tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the movie came out summer two thousand and fifteen, so yeah, almost I guess ten nine years ago or something. But yeah, I flew over and met you. It's my only time flying on private planes, right, first class. Very exciting for me. I'm sure you two do this stuff all the time, all.
Speaker 3: The time, all the freaking time. Well, you know the other thing that was funny is when I got asked to do the tour. They were like, you can bring someone, and I think they meant a publicist.
Speaker 1: But I was like, cool, I'll bring my brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were like okay, So that worked out for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, worked out great. It was fun. I remember just hanging out with our guests and the other cast members. I think Amy and jud were there, and going to a lot of meals and then going to a lot of premieres of the movie and then everyone leaving as soon as the movie started.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a classic. That's a classic move.
Speaker 3: Well, let's introduce our guests so we can get into all the recount all the fun we had there with him in Amsterdam. Our guest today is an actor, comedian, and writer and producer and director who you may know from stuff he did with me like Saturday Night Live or the movie train Wreck, more from his hit show Barry, which honestly he also did with me for one episode. Please welcome our friend Bill Hayter.
Speaker 4: Hi've been as Hi, Jonah, Hey Bell, Hi.
Speaker 1: Do you remember going to Amsterdam with us?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I remember that very well. Yeah, that was wild. That was like, I mean, Jonah, I had never done that either. Where you know, you do the like rock Star thing where you're walking to a big not a small private jet, like an actual seven forty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they remade it so that they turned it into a commercial plane into a private plane, right yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a massive plane and we were we flew all over Europe in it. And then what I remember is I was reading a book called Amongst the Thugs about soccer huligans. That's a great book, by the way, because I was like, oh, I'm going to be amongst thug.
Speaker 5: Sure, maybe i'll see thugs, okay, like soccer hooligans, right right, of course I.
Speaker 4: Was really, you know, dumb. And then what I remember about those flights was I don't like flying, so I would I would drink hein Agen. I'm not even I'm not a drinker, and so I would drink hein Agin. And then that would lead to us going to Amsterdam. And I don't smoke weed, but I did smoke weed in Amsterdam.
Speaker 5: Both you guys, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like yes, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And you and I.
Speaker 4: I just remember me and Vanessa kind of like everybody else was so cool and walking around and walking in the red light district and like, wow, this is wild and how cool it is and everyone's so cool in Vanessa and I were like holding onto each other like two eighth graders hanging out with seniors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I can't believe we're doing this.
Speaker 3: And then do you remember Bill that you went on seth Myers? You went on his show and I did like a bit with you about it, Yeah, and it was like you were he was interviewing you. And then I remember they were like, do you want to come in and do this bit with Bill? And I was like sure, And then it was truly I mean, it turned out it was so fun, but like when I got there, I was like, okay, so what am I doing? And everyone was like, oh, I thought you knew, like that nobody knew. And it's truly like, you know, how you have night like a nightmare or a classic nightmare would be like you're about to go on TV and you have no idea what you're supposed to do or say. That like sort of happened to me because everyone was like, I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do, and they're like, then, then I think I talked to you a little, and then I talked like we figured it out, but it was, like I do distinctly remember there were like maybe two writers or producers who were like thought the other one had like kind of outlined it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like being at seven out Live, where it's like you how to talk to each other and.
Speaker 5: Go what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember you calling me and I'm like, oh, yeah, it's like the idea that we left you in Amsterdam and you came out, You're like Bill, and you had a sets Ses hat or someone's hat that said Amsterdam on it. You've got a hat that said Amsterdam on it, and you came out You're like, Bill, why didn't you leave me? You just kind of improvised a bunch of stuff, and it was really funny, and I was like, oh no, Vanessa, we left you there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was like I was just getting back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just got back, and you're like, you guys ditched me.
Speaker 1: Well, it was really fun.
Speaker 4: It was very fun. I had a really I had a very good time with you guys. That was And yeah, I remember going to Dublin. Yeah, yeah, that's the first time in Dublin. This is kind of sad, but we got out of the car to go into the premiere and we had just been to like the Guinness factory.
Speaker 5: I remember it was like I don't drink.
Speaker 4: And I remember drinking hot yeah before we went it was like Guinness or you know whatever.
Speaker 5: And I was like, wow, this is so beautiful.
Speaker 4: And the guy was like, oh yeah, so you're having the premiere at this you know, storied theater. And we got out and the first thing I saw was a guy shooting of Heroin right in front of the feeder.
Speaker 1: Oh man, okay, and.
Speaker 5: The guy who was like our attach dude was like, get on it. He was like stay in the car, stay in the car, get on. He just screamed, and then the guy ran off and then he was like okay, now you could come in. It was so funny. Look like was he shooting Heroin? He's like.
Speaker 1: Do you remember too?
Speaker 3: That? Like everywhere we went we like would because like we were, we weren't getting paid to do this publicity tour, but they were trying to be really nice to us. So we would go out to dinner all the time and we would just order like sort of order stuff. I remember Jonah and I ordered caviar because like Amy and Kim were like, you guys should order caviar, like you should just try it.
Speaker 1: Why not it's and so we tried it. We had like two bites and we were like, we.
Speaker 5: Don't like this, and like a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: I think we also had real wasabi. That's right, I remember that. And it was our second dinner of the night. Remember that was when we went to that Japanese place. It was like our second dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was very extravagant. And then I remember going, oh, Amy and I are going to go to this pub where the guy from once right, yeah, And I said I'm not going and he said why. I'm like, because you guys are all gonna everyone's going to break out into song and I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't like it one a song, I think.
Speaker 4: And then there was a viral video of all them singing and everyone's like singing along and stuff and I don't know. I'm part Irish and I don't know what it is. I have like like I want to join in on that.
Speaker 5: I'm going to stay in bed.
Speaker 3: A couple have just gotten married and was there and they like couldn't believe that guy was there, and so they were like let's all sing or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 4: I mean it looked like an amazing time that I did not again. I just was like can I just read in my room and jud was like, you're you know, well, now come out and I was like no, if.
Speaker 1: It makes you feel better.
Speaker 3: I remember them all singing and me being like I should know the words of the song that I don't, so me sort of being like faking, you know, like sort of being like, yeah, we all know this right.
Speaker 5: We were having a great time.
Speaker 4: I just my big feeling was like I started out that thing going, oh, this will be fun, and by the end of it, I was like a total part, Like just it was a lot. I feel like I have a memory of Kim or someone grabbing my book and hiding it like a plane.
Speaker 5: Like so I would talk to people.
Speaker 2: Got well, Bill, I wanted to say, speaking of Judge, I don't know if you remember this. I interviewed you, Yeah, when my first ever Yeah, one of your first interviews ever for Alternative Press about Super Bad in person in New York, and you were dressed up like a cop and you had this makeup to look like you had gotten beaten up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, that was. That was the picture was me like looking like I got beat up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was I think before Vanessa was on SNL and I remember we met and then you were like, do you want to go comic book shopping? We went to Midtown Comics. Yeah, we like hung out and it's so wild that later eight years later we would be hanging out in Europe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember that, like, let's go walk around and I'm going to go to Midtown Comics and yeah, back then I was super in a comic book because it's kind of like taber rough now, but yeah, I was. I was really into it back then. But I remember that it was like one of my first ever. They were like, what do you want the photo to be? And I was like, can I look like I got the shit kicked out of me? Because I read David Sedari's story that Amy Sadaris did that once where she was like I want to want you make me look like.
Speaker 5: I just got to shake down.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, that would be funny, and I did that, but yeah, that was really fun interview and then yeah, then we were there and yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we went off to lunch. I think I remember us talking a lot about music. We talked about you know, because you're from Oklahoma. We talked about the Flaming Lips and.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah one D Perc Yeah yeah, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now I'm texting with those guys. We will text every once in a while, just from the Oklahoma connection.
Speaker 5: It's really cool, amazing.
Speaker 3: I feel like when we when I started at Essenelli, you would be like you were always so plugged into.
Speaker 2: The south Park part.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, the South Park guys.
Speaker 5: You would always yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: I was working there, and it was so I would go there on our breaks sometimes at the show, like we would have like a hiatus week and I would go right out of South Park and then come back, and that was it was really fun. I've learned a lot, like a lot of the stuff because I took his learning experience, because like at SNL, we're writing sketches, but we're not really writing stories, like yeah, you know, and I wanted to learn how to do that. And I would like how they structured stuff. I just thought they're really smart. And so I hung out with those guys and it really was I was getting paid to hang out. Like I said, I really was just hanging out and watching it at work and then would laugh and pitch a joke out every once in a while, but it was really just learning. And then what I learned from being there off and on for almost like ten years, yeah, was.
Speaker 5: Like huge, you know in terms of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure it helps so much with Barry and that.
Speaker 1: How how many seasons was Barry on?
Speaker 5: It was four?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, three and four were like right where it was like one and two were back to back and the pandemic happened, and then like three and four.
Speaker 5: Were back to back.
Speaker 1: Gotcha okay where it.
Speaker 4: Was like you're cutting season three while you're writing season four and it was just like yeah, So like in May when the show finished, I really did not It was like a I don't know, let's do it myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a little little like mini breakdown of like you're like the way I described it, it just felt like for because I mean I was developing that show for Song Too, is like eight or nine years of just like cleinching your.
Speaker 5: Fists as hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And after that time, the last show aired and it was like someone was like, Okay, you can you can unclinch your fist and it was like, oh, you know, like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I've been holding it so tight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like what I can't I can't feel it, I can't move it, you know, it's like my whole body and Psyche felt that way.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm still recovering. Yeah, that's so. It was such an amazing show.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 3: You were so funny and so great on it, and I think it just did such a good job of showing well, just your dark sense of humor, but also how good of an actor you are on top of you know, being such a funny guy. Because I feel like it's really like kind of at odds with like Stefan and by odds, I mean you know other stuff like you're very yeah, but both.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the difference between like acting and performing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to perform.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it's like, oh, oh, it was hard to on SNL to show like behavior, yeah something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you were good at it. The little boy that you would play an update the the Sarments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was so funny because it was like it was like behavior was like part of the like what was funny about it? And it had great jokes, but it wasn't just playing out or whatever, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think you did a lot of that stuff too.
Speaker 3: And I always loved doing sketches with you because I never like knew what I was going to get like, because sometimes you'd be like, you know, like laughing or trying to make all it like you just it was always like so fun.
Speaker 5: You were there once when I had a panic attack. Remember when I got well.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I was getting towards. But I didn't know if you wanted to talk about.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I remember when I grab your arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were having an.
Speaker 5: Arm live on television.
Speaker 3: And was like, I thought because you were having an issue, like yeah, like I think you thought I was having an issue with like the que cards or something, or You're like it was everything okay, And I was like no, I just straight up had it like a yeah, you were like grabbing my arm and you were like is it like? And they was the sketch where I specifically remember. It was a sketch where someone's walking kids are walking down a high school hallway and and then they start walking in slow motion?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Was it that?
Speaker 4: And I was the principal who came up and had to like go into the slow motion thing and I had to walk in slow motion for a bit and then like come out of it. Yeah, and Chris Kelly and Sarah Sarah wrote it and I was like, oh yeah, and then I got out on my mark and suddenly lost all confidence that I could act in the slow motion, like I forgot how to do it, and I just panicked and I grabbed your arm and I was like, wait, I don't know what I'm doing. Like it was just this awful like blank Like I just was so like just so busy in the show and so tired that I just blanked.
Speaker 5: It was like, wait, what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that happens. It happens when you just have those moments.
Speaker 5: And I just froze. I was like, oh god, oh god, I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And you just grabbed my arm. And then I think we did it together, right, We had to go together.
Speaker 4: We both go into it. That's yeah, Yeah, you're right, that was what it was. We both like go and then had like out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's the crazy thing about SNL two is you never know.
Speaker 4: My mind just goes like you're live on television and you just I did Julian Assonage once when Jeff Bridges hosted, and I just I don't know what happened.
Speaker 5: I can't explain it.
Speaker 4: I just was like and Jenna, our stage manager, was like, I would cover my face and I had like a glass of line. I just kept putting it like higher in my face so people couldn't see it into my face because I was like freaking out. So I want to like put my head down, and she was motioning like what the glass down and stop?
Speaker 5: You know yeah, And.
Speaker 4: It's funny because in my mind it was like, oh, it's awful, and she could tell something was wrong. And then when I watch it back, it's I'm just rushing it. It just looks like, yeah, just it doesn't look that bad. It just looks like I can tell midway through the sketch, I just start rushing.
Speaker 5: I'm just like I need to get off their right now. So I'm like not being waiting for laughs.
Speaker 1: I'm just going, you know, yeah, yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 5: But Barry was great because you got to take two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was so impressed with euvanist, because I remember you doing a thing on Update and you're just like cool as a cucumber, and it like some of it worked and some of it didn't. It was like one of your first shows and you're on and I remember being on the floor and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, man, she is just cool as a cute. I'm like I would have rushed just.
Speaker 4: Like I was talking about, or panicked or whatever, and you just stayed it and came off stage. And I think I might even said to you. I was like, how did you do that?
Speaker 5: That was so good? That's like your second episode.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. You've said that to me before. That's really nice.
Speaker 5: I don't how you did that.
Speaker 3: I was probably faking it to an extent because I don't think I was cool as a cucumber.
Speaker 5: I thought you I was.
Speaker 4: I was behind the Wally and the Q cards just watching and I was like.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's so good. She's so good. And I remember at the party talking to like John malaneyly the.
Speaker 4: New girl Vanessa is so good. It was so good, and I was like, she was amazing. Remember I took you guys all out to dinner.
Speaker 5: You and h and Jay Pharaoh.
Speaker 1: You got us a private room.
Speaker 3: It was like we hadn't even started our first season yet, and you took me and Tarin and Jay Farrow and Paul Britton out to dinner.
Speaker 1: It was so nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know what you're laughing about.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what you're laughing about, Vanessa.
Speaker 4: So I remember taking you guys at dinner, and the big thing I remember was Jay Farrow was an amazing and he still has amazing at impressions and he ordered dessert at Gandelf. Yeah, and that's how I met the new the new people, and I was like, oh my gosh. And it was a really good Gandalf. I remember he ordered, like, do you guys want dessert? And he was like, oh I can. I can't do it, but it was really funny. And then yeah, you guys were all so good. And then do you remember your first table read where Fred Armisen told you, hey, before your first table read, you have to stand up and introduce yourself to everybody, right, like really, And.
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, yeah, you got to get up and introduce yourself to everyone. That's like we all had to do that, and you're like, seriously, you were really nervous. And then and then I thought you were going to do it. I was like, the nast he's messing with with you was playing like you don't get up, get up.
Speaker 2: Speaking of impressions, that's a great Fred impression.
Speaker 5: Yeah, heym like you're supposed to get up with everybody, Jona. This is not nice either.
Speaker 4: But when your sister we would be in a table read and she sat next to me in the table at the table read, and there'd be a sketch and she would be reading along and I would whisper for her.
Speaker 5: You're not in this. It was like my version of hazing you.
Speaker 3: Because the thing is like sometimes when you're at that table read and you like realize how much stuff you're not in, it's almost like you want to like start crying or something because you're like, oh my god, nobody thought to.
Speaker 1: Put me in their thing. But it actually took so much of.
Speaker 3: The like seriousness out of it when you would be like, yes, you're not in this, because I was like, yeah, who cares, Like it's all like who cares?
Speaker 1: I don't know the fact that you.
Speaker 5: Were actually joking. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I remember my first season too. I would say my first three seasons, I would have a whole table read where I was. I could leave, Yeah, come back to second half. I'm not in anything in the first half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the thing that I loved about sitting next to you too is you would you would like mess with me like that. And since I started doing comedy, like even when I was in Chicago, like having like the cooler people who've like been doing it longer, like mess with you.
Speaker 1: It's like a sign of love to me.
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like lightly bullying me is like the way that you that.
Speaker 5: People show they respected you. You saw you were good.
Speaker 4: He was like a respect thing, like you know. I was like, oh, you don't need to like pump her up because she's so clearly like so good and doing so well on the show. So it was like, oh, it's fun to kind of be.
Speaker 5: Like you're not and you would and you would go, oh, you're right, I'm not in this, like you would play like you would look at the back of the sketch like maybe for some reason they wrote on the back of the sketch, no, oh, I guess I'm not in it. You're right, thank you. That's really what of.
Speaker 1: Last we had and continue to have today.
Speaker 3: And I guess with that extremely excellent segue, we're going to take a quick commercial break and we'll be right back with Phil Hayter.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Before we get into today's topic, I had one more kind of quick SNL related question for you. I recently rewatched the Crisis of Conformity sketch. I'm very into punk rock, and I noticed I never noticed before that you're actually playing bass. Yeah, You're really playing Yeah? Do you know how to play bass? Did you learn that song just for the sketch or so?
Speaker 4: I also was very much into punk rock music still am, but very much when I was a teenager. And so when we did documentary now the fake bands that we have, no I'm actually playing on those, like for Blueching Committee as pattern, I'm playing as well.
Speaker 2: To be playing on TV with Dave Grohl as like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was fa playing with Dave grole and rehearsing that, and people thought I think it kind of because I remember Kristen looking at me going Kristen Wig going like, wait, Bill, are you actually playing like in between stuff like yeah, And then on air it was crazy because we had to cut that down for time that that that song and and so as we were walking up, they said. Fred just walked up to me and was like, we're cutting the second chorus. Cutting the second chorus, so we're just doing the chorus once. And I turned around and just looked at Dave like we're cutting the second chorus and he went okay, and I just.
Speaker 5: And Fred was like just wat sweet. You know. It was like one of the things.
Speaker 4: And then the thing I remember about that episode was we did that and I was like, wow, man, that went great. And I went upstairs and Ethan Cohen from the Coen Brothers was in the audience, and it was a Jay Todd Anderson. There's the storyboard artist who's also a musician, Like he's a great country musician, and so I was that was a big thrill for me just because I'm a fan of those guys. So it was kind of a mind blower of playing bass with David. It was like if the fifth ten year old me would have been like, you're going to play bass with Dave Grohl and go upstairsing me Dcy Colin and you're gonna be outside alive, I'd be like.
Speaker 5: What you know? It was.
Speaker 4: I was on a high after that for like, yeah, like three weeks. I just thought it was so cool. Yeah that Ariston Kutcher hosted that show, and then Croocket Cultures was the musical guest, and that was one on my yeah, top three SML memories.
Speaker 5: Probably was going to do that.
Speaker 2: It's such an incredible song. I mean it really sounds like an eighties Punks. I mean it's so perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he wrote that, and then I think the Crisis of Conformity and some of it might have been Eric ken word and writers on the show helped out with some of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, we want to get into your topic for today, which we really thought was funny, which is sneaking into movies, which is something that we both did as kids as well. Now, Bill, why did you want to talk about sneaking into movies?
Speaker 4: Well, it was just a very great Well, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed doing that when I was a kid because it was a feeling of I can handle this stuff, you know. Yeah, but he's saying that I'm a kid and I can't handle watching adult movies. But I can handle it. And then you would go in and in my case, most of the time I did it, I would go in and I would find out I couldn't handle. But I was like there was always something in it that, you know, really freaked me out, you know, or but those were like real experiences I'll always remember, you know, as I get Yeah, mine was just turns to mush and it's like it's like two fall and it's like I can't remember things and stuff, but I will remember vividly, you know, sneaking into movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were some of the movies that you snuck into? Do you remember?
Speaker 5: Well? I can.
Speaker 4: Most of them were in tulsok I mean, I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and there was a movie theater called Annex seven that's not there anymore, but I used to go in there and I snuck into. I remember having to see some kids movie and my parents went to go see Bright Lights, Big City with Michael J. Fox, and I was like, you know, a big back to the Future and you know, family ties, and I just he was like my idol when I was a kid, and I couldn't believe he was in a movie that was great a r sure, And my mom goes told me, he does cocaine in the movie.
Speaker 5: You can't watch this because he does cocaine. And so I snuck into the movie and watched him in the back and this is confusing, like all these people moping around. But that was one total recall was one.
Speaker 4: But the big one was when I was nine years old, I got like a ticket to go see the Land Before Time or something like that with my sister, and then I snuck into RoboCop and I was like, this is gonna be awesome, because I thought RoboCop was gonna be like Star Wars or something, but.
Speaker 2: A cop okay.
Speaker 4: And then the ED two nine scene comes up where this ED two o nine robot malfunctions and it shoots this guy in an office, and it was one of the goorioesst most violent things I had ever seen, where I mean, this guy gets shot like a hundred times and it blows his arm off and like you know, blood is just flying everywhere, and I got so scared that the rest of the movie, I was just staring at my feet and I just made a huge mistake. And I just remember so vividly just staring at my shoes, you know, and just waiting for them and just frozen.
Speaker 5: And made a big mistaken. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, yeah, my memory, I've never successfully snuck into a movie. One time, my friends and I decided to go. We wanted to go see Fear, but we were We got there really late, and by the time we got to the theater, like all the movies had started, so the lobby was completely empty. But we were still determined to do it. So we bought tickets to James and the Giant Peach and we were like, we're going to just buy tickets to James and the Giants Peach, and we're going to sneak into this r movie and like no one's gonna be the wiser, even though literally we're the only people in the lobby. Like yeah, So we did that, and like as soon as we sat down, they kicked us out, and so I went So I went up to the like the usher of the person working at the ticket booth, and I was like, just so you know, my dad's a lawyer. He's not, but I said, just you know, my dad's a lawyer, and he's going to come back here and he's going to sue you.
Speaker 1: And so then I went home and.
Speaker 3: Think I was like okay, And then I went home and I told my dad what happened, and he kind of did it.
Speaker 1: He went in and he pretended.
Speaker 3: To be a lawyer the next week because it was the movie theater was really close to his work, so it was like easy for him to do. So he went in and I think it's unclear, but I think he said he was a lawyer. But instead of threatening, he took a different, probably smarter move from an attorney, which was he was like, look, they're just kids. They spent their money on this, can you just like give them refund them or whatever. So we got ticket vouchers, so the person there got ticket boucher's But again unclear if my dad said it as a lawyer or not.
Speaker 5: Like if you put on that persona yeah, your dad went and saw fear.
Speaker 1: Got all the vouchers.
Speaker 5: And they kicked him.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my gosh, I actually snuck into more movies than I'd like to admit. As an adult, I used to I had a routine where I'd get I got a movie pass when that was a thing, and I'd go to the Unions Square theater, use a movie pass, and then stick around once I'm in the in the theater and see other movies, which was pretty good. I remember sneaking this movie called My Bloody Valentine, this horror movie. Oh yeah, I went in. I sat down and realized very quickly it was a three D movie and I had snuck in, so I didn't have the classes. And so if you've ever watched a three D movie without classes in the theater, yeah, it's nausea. It's pretty tough. Yeah, so I had to go down and make up some story like I lost my glasses. I got a pair of it. But yeah, I used to do that kind of good way to kill about six hours.
Speaker 4: No, it's I love it. Wait the Fear has that really a scene on the roller coaster? Right, That's like yeah, that was like, yeah, the stabled scene.
Speaker 3: That's like, yeah, we're Mark Wahlberg, Fingers Reese, Witherspoon and coaster.
Speaker 1: It's actually a really violent movie.
Speaker 3: And every time it's on TV, I start watching it and the ending is sort of like it's one of those movies. Well, I'm so sorry to anyone who's listening who hasn't seen it, but I'm gonna spoil the ending if you want it. But the ending is like they kill Mark Wahlberg and then it's kind of over. Yeah, and it's sort of like, come.
Speaker 2: On, guys, Yeah, what else, Let's.
Speaker 1: See everyone doing great.
Speaker 3: And also it's really shocking to see Alyssa Milano be like kind of like a sexy bad girl when you're used to her being on Who's the Boss.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that must be weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like a movie that was like very that went around. It was like, especially the girls, like oh my god, Fear. It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: I saw it. You know, they'd be just walking around a little shell shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get that you'd be confused with Cape Fear, which I remember seeing in the theater, and that came out in ninety one, so I would have only been like twelve or thirty. Maybe I snuck into that because I feel like that feels like an old movie to see as like a twelve year old. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw that when I was thirty. Yeah, I came out when I was thirteen. Yeah, that movie's really great but also pretty violent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a scene where Robert de Niro bites Illana Douglas's like a cheek, right, Like he bites her face and tears her cheek off, and it's like really disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one was a big one, and for some reason I stuck in to see the movie always.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I think I was seeing Back to the Future two and I didn't like it. So then I walked into all Ways, which was like it's a Steven Spielberg movie. That's it's a good movie called a Guy named Joe. But it was about like Richard Dreyfus and Holly Hunter and John Goodman and they flew planes that like were that put out fourst flat fires, okay, and it's like a I had like amazing plane sequences in it, Like I was like, wow, that was phenomenal.
Speaker 5: Pat sneaking into that one.
Speaker 4: But then I worked at a movie theater, so then I had like when I was twenty said, then my job was like kicking, like I knew all the flats. So then I was like, yeah, guys are sneaking into stuff, and weirdly certain movies like fight should break out on certain movies, and then that were weird like Truman Show. For some reason Truman Show, like people would start fighting in the theater and I was like, this is happening. This is not an aggressive movie at all.
Speaker 5: I remember hearing a guy outside inside the theater, just someone yell, you want to go, and we all went help with We all ran in there and we're like okay, wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 4: And and then a lot of people had sex in the movie theater during.
Speaker 5: The movie. He got game okay, and so he got game would play. Everyone would start.
Speaker 4: It would just be some one going, we got another couple having sex and he got gay, and you would be like, oh my god. This was then tempe Arizona okay, and so it was weird. But yeah, I don't remember, but yeah, I knew everybody, Like I knew the kids would buy like you know something, but then like, yeah, like the kind of darker, weirder r rated movie. You would just be like And sometimes I would be like yeah too, Chae.
Speaker 5: You guys go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, did you have Like what was the setup of your theater because like I, well, I guess the one you grew up with and the one that you worked at, because when we were growing up, Jonah, I'm thinking of the soul In Commons.
Speaker 1: Like there were some.
Speaker 3: Video games and stuff outside of the theater, so it was actually a place where.
Speaker 1: People would kind of hang out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so there was sort of like this whole scene going on, and because no one could drive, it was like I guess you hang out before and after the movie kind of.
Speaker 1: In the theater.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would. Annex seven was that way.
Speaker 4: There was like video you know, video games, and and then it was across the street from the promenade mall, which so that was the thing. You would, you know, walk across the street to the promenade and go to the food court or whatever.
Speaker 5: And it was like whoa, we are adults.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you can believe this. We had a place called cap Ginos by on the movie theater and you could go get like a Cafe Moco with a ton of like chocolate, very sophisticated, very sophisticated, and like if a fight broke out at Cappuccinos, it was like whoa, yeah these are drinking espresso are also Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's like easy. Everybody has Expressos, everybody has cappuccinos. Wait, this is delicate. Yeah, yeah that was a big deal. Is it made you just just sneaking into movies in general? It's just it was just that time when like you weren't they were telling you you weren't old enough to see something.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, I would go up and I remember really wanted to see Boys in the Hood and they were like, no, you know, you can't. And then they had people at I remember they had people stationed wow things, so we couldn't sneak into it because a lot of people would try to sneak into it, you know. Yeah, that was like a big movie at the time, like it was. I mean, I were so badly wanted to see that movie and and you couldn't and then but and uh, but yeah. The thing I miss about going to a lot of movies like that is, yeah, the feeling that you're saying John of like, oh, you go see something and you can go into another thing, or if you didn't like the movie or watching, you would just walk into another one yep, and see how that one was and be like, oh, this is actually pretty good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That Love was always really fun I remember my dad is My dad's pretty funny. And I remember we went to go see the movie My Blue Heaven and we watched that movie and then we had to be someplace, but we still had like three hours to kill so he was like, do you want to see another movie? And we snuck into Dark Man the same Raemi movie with leam Ni Yep, and we went into that film and there was there's only two skater guys in the theater and my dad was like, here, follow me, and we went to the front of the theater and the skater guys were kind of in the middle of the theater and my dad I just went down each row looking up at the screen and You're like, no, this.
Speaker 5: He isn't good. No, this he isn't good. And we just went and he sat right in front of them because oh, these are perfect and we just sat right in front of them and the guys are like, come on, dude, and my dad just thought it was really funny. And then they moved.
Speaker 2: That is so funny.
Speaker 5: But it took a while where he was like, no, let me move, look at the screen. No, no.
Speaker 2: How would you describe the feeling like there's something so satisfying at that age, especially like doing something you're not supposed to do, like like you're told you can't do this, and then you're like, but I can do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there was something that was like a soft version of, you know, of disobeying authority or something. You know. Yeah, it was because at home you could watch those things, right, Yeah, at home they were on television, so it was like why can't like why you know, as a kid, it was I'm seeing you know, R rated films, and you know, my parents are renting stuff, and my parents were not that they didn't really care that much what we want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we just kind of watched whatever. And so it was this kind of like I'm already fucked up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like, you know, you won't let me see boys in the hood. It's like I saw clockwork warnings last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can handle it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm fine, and they're like, you don't look fun.
Speaker 2: It's like those parental advisory stickers and records that area, like I can handle the screen drig record, like they swear.
Speaker 5: To exactly exactly. It's like, it's fine, you're gonna We're gonna be yeah, And then I got it because I you know, you go there and you would really hate some people worked at movie theaters because they're like just getting off on their authority. And then when I worked at movie theater, I just so got off of my authority. I can't bring food in here, put it back, you know.
Speaker 3: The the other thing that's really funny about a movie theater is like everybody goes there. I guess the point I'm getting at is I remember I have such a visceral memory of like being in high school and going to a movie and my fifth grade homeroom teacher was there with his daughter, and I remember being like, what the fuck this guy doesn't live at school, Like I remember just being like, uh, hi'm mister. Like I just remember being like what do I do when I'm in the public life with my teacher, like absolutely losing my mind, and he was like, this is my daughter, And I was like, what, No, did you get school?
Speaker 5: You're like a robot at this like hours down when we leave.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then a rumor started.
Speaker 3: We had someone in our podcast from our high school who a rumor started at the commons, like the area next to the movie theater where two teachers were having dinner together.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Wow.
Speaker 1: And then they ended up getting married, of course.
Speaker 5: But that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: That's like really, Yeah, the movie theater is kind of the hub of a lot of you know, crazy town intrigue. Yes, yeah, because everybody is there to get out, you know. Yeah, yeah, I remember all that stuff. Yes, the same thing where you would see somebody. Yeah, I just remember that. I have nothing like I just remember that, right. I was trying to think about a story, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, No, that's great, that's great. I had a very visceral one.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, look, we're going to take a quick commercial break and we'll be right back with our absolute bud, Bill Hayter.
Speaker 1: And so here we are.
Speaker 3: We're back with our friend, Bill Hater, and we're going to play a fun game. I guess Bill, are you ready for to have an absolute blast with a fun game?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, do you have anything else to say about movies before we move on? And any any do you want to shout out to any other movies you snuck into or.
Speaker 4: I snuck into Misery whoa, Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: That was a big one. I snuck into Sounds of the Lambs when I was thirteen. Whoa, that was a huge one. I teared the shit out of me, especially the end. I was so freaked out. And then the first rate of.
Speaker 4: Movie that that I paid for and was able to go in with pulp fiction. Wow, I was like, wow, it was the first time. I was sixteen by that point, and I was still not technically allowed in, but I think because they drove up and I had like a goatee, they were like they didn't.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of the first movie that I could get into legitimately as an R movie, and I mostly don't see our movies, so I can't think of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh, I snuck into Popcorn. There's like a horror film called Popcorn.
Speaker 5: Look into that.
Speaker 4: Oh and another Georgia Mary movie called The Dark Half, what is based on a Stephen King book.
Speaker 3: It's not going to that too, like go Tea getting in? No, no, go tea. Sorry that was a snake.
Speaker 5: I had a real ben affleck and chasing any kind of look got it, got it, got it?
Speaker 4: And yeah they just let me in. They're like, well, well we didn't know you were here.
Speaker 5: Absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, now we're going to play a really fun game because we love to have fun with you. And so basically this game is called Legit Moan or Unnecessary Grown, And it was inspired by this segment that used to be in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which was like our local newspaper, where people would write in with different complaints.
Speaker 1: It was called Monday moaning, and we always would make fun.
Speaker 3: Of it when we were kids, and now we get into the archives and we still make fun of it. So basically, we picked three of them, and we're gonna decide whether we think they're a legit moan.
Speaker 1: Legit moan meaning it's a legit complaint, or an unnecessary.
Speaker 2: Groan, unnecessary grown.
Speaker 1: Meaning it is not.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can get us started. These are all keep the mind. Also, these are all like ten to twelve years old, right.
Speaker 1: Because it's a now defunct common Oh okay.
Speaker 2: See this first one comes from Westlake, Ohio, and it's related to our topic today. It says, to the self righteous idiot who sat in front of us at the movie theater last night and asked us to stop talking. People were just arriving and the movie was twenty minutes away from starting. I get being quiet during a performance, but I don't see the harm of talking to your friends before the performance. He needs to get a life bill. Do you think this is a legit moan or an unnecessary groan talking before the movie starts?
Speaker 5: Hey, it's a legit moan, right, yeah, legit, I would say, so.
Speaker 3: I just think you don't have to say to the if you start with to the self righteous idiot self.
Speaker 4: Right, idiot, that's you're holding that in for a while, like self like just dickhead, no let me, I can't do it self, Like yeah, moron, Moren's a little soft?
Speaker 2: Where do you two stand on talking like during previews?
Speaker 5: I don't care about that.
Speaker 2: I got confronted by an adult during a movie as me and my friends are being very loud during this Michael Keaton movie, I think my life. It's like a very oh yeah, yeah, it's a very sad movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was me and a bunch of teenage kids going laughing, making jokes. I remember this adult came over us. It was like I'm not scared of you guys, Like was like calling us out, and we were just like laughing so hard. We were so immature. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember someone saying crushing Tiger hitting dragon, and a dad started reading the subtitles out loud to his kid as he's like, I'm princess, but like he was given we must go on a quest, and that quest is a book.
Speaker 4: And I went over to him like can you please stop reading? So he said, who is it? Bothering, and I said, and I just kind of pointed to the whole movie, like all of this, it's bothering, all of this. And then I remember seeing American Beauty and at the beginning of that movie, thora Birch is like, I want to kill my dad. I want my dad dead, and then Wes Bentley goes, you want me to kill him? And she goes would you, and the guy behind me went ooh, I know what that's like? That funny like people talking during the movie like that will never get old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes it works. Yeah, it makes me laugh.
Speaker 5: It's so hard when it's funny.
Speaker 1: That's really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree that this person is in the right in saying that twenty minutes before a movie starts is okay. But I will say I'm guilty of being a person who does talk to your question, Jonah, who does talk during previous, because I find previous hard to not make fun of because I'll always go like like I always think that I've got a real singer, where I'll go like, I'm not going to be seeing that, and then I feel like the people around me are always so annoyed because they're like, who the hell is this person, and why is she talking like I just.
Speaker 1: Always like want to go like, uh huh uh huh not for me.
Speaker 5: I can't wait not to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why the hell would I see that?
Speaker 1: Especially if it's like a like scary torture movie.
Speaker 3: Then I think I personally get sort of offended by those existing and so then I'm just like, am I going to run out here to see this? The answer is no, Like I just I've got to. As you can tell, I've got a lot of versions of it. I've been kind of given him different versus.
Speaker 1: You, but yeah, I do them.
Speaker 5: All of them. I'm sure it looks like I'm gonna skip that one. Hey about I can't wait not to give you my honey.
Speaker 3: How about I'll be at that movie at a quarter to never at a quarter to never.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that, And you go, I didn't even see the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I'm going to see the sequel.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Guess What'll.
Speaker 5: Just keep saying psych. I'll see that psych.
Speaker 1: An opposite day, and guess what.
Speaker 3: It is that that's I love polistic burns And the other thing on this topic that I noticed though, I think it was the last time I was at a movie. You know how they show the Nicole Kidman thing at the beginning of a lot of movies where she's like the theater, like people come here, chios a place to relax or whatever she says at the beginning.
Speaker 5: That's what she does.
Speaker 2: That sounded just like to relax.
Speaker 1: A place.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm going to try and do it the movies, a place to dream, a place to the watch the magic of the screen on your screen, all together in person, coming to the movies to see the movie, to see a film. All here, we all the magic of theater, the movie theater.
Speaker 4: It's like something like it was really like that. People will be like not seeing this thing.
Speaker 3: Well, what was really funny is I think it's gotten Like now everyone's seen that video a thousand times. The last time I went to a movie, everyone cheered for her at the end, which I thought was a collective version of talking during the previous which is like everyone just making fun of it.
Speaker 1: I liked it, Bill, you do it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I don't think I've seen it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I've seen anything.
Speaker 3: Well, it's only AMC Theater, so you have to go to AMC. If you go to an AMC theater. I think because of COVID, they started having her do this intro to it to be like you're doing the right thing by coming to see the movie in person. Like theaters, there's a magic here that only exists here. But it's sort of like they've been using it so long that people haven't memorized now, especially I'm sure people who are like AMC members and exclusively see movies at AMC theaters, and people make fun of it now, But you two seem to be the only two people in the university you've ever seen it. So I guess it's my lucky day. Okay, I'm going to read the book Monday, John, What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, legit?
Speaker 1: Okay, here it comes.
Speaker 3: If your kids are getting the school bus which stops at the end of your driveway to pick them up, they should be there waiting to get on the bus, not standing in the doorway, not waiting in your van. They should be ready and prepared to get on the bus when it arrives. If they aren't, the bus should just leave. Just sign me quote crank shaft. Do your kids take a bus to school? Did they take the bus?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Did you take the bus when you were little, Yeah I did. Were you pretty on time for it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: This bus stop was right across the street from my house, so it was like super easy. I always had a fear that the bus would somehow skip our stop on the way home, so it was always I would always sit very close to the bus driver and every time be like, we're next.
Speaker 3: I feel like you really acted differently than Jonah and I because Jonah and I only had to go to the end of our driveway, and we would we would always miss.
Speaker 2: You'd be rushing, get in the back, back at in your lunch, like almost ready, and then you just see it just drive right by, waiting for those two.
Speaker 3: I was always so upsetting. We would, yeah, we would just not be able to get there on time. And like once in a while, if we got like halfway down the drive, like if they could see us, they would stop for us, but it almost never happened. We would just watch it just drive by, and it was so depressing. And the other thing is we do we're the opposite of you. I can't even count how many times I would be like talking to my friends or whatever on the bus ride home and I would miss my stop, and then I would have to wait for them to do the whole Yeah, they'd have to do every stop, and then they'd come back to your house to drop you off, and you were last, and it was so depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is unnecessary. I agree. I mean it's like, when I drive to work now, it's very cold where I live. I see kids standing waiting for the school bus and I feel so bad for them. You know, it's like thirty degrees out there, just standing there, and it's like for someone for them to wait somewhere warm, and you got to wait in your car for like five extra seconds. Yeah, it's like, yeah, you give these kids a break. That's that's an unnecessary group. Yeah. Thanks on agreement, all right, I'll agre read the last one. Yeah, Garfield Heights. This one says, after all the horrific stories about what happened on Black Friday, let me add one that I see three hundred and sixty five days a year irresponsible moms who keep shopping and walking and being distracted by their own needs. They treat crying, whining kids at their side as if they weren't there. They are a menace to shoppers and to our mental health. So what do you think about this? Do you think this is legit complaint? Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I have three kids, and yeah, sometimes you just got to power through. I mean there's no right, yeah, leave No, I just have been in the position. I mean it's like when you're on an airplane or something and you have a little kid and you see everybody go oh and they like roll their eyes and they're so mad, and you're like, I can't there's nothing to do about this, right Yeah, yeah, you know, and you're trying to.
Speaker 5: You're doing the best you can.
Speaker 4: Ye, but yeah, you affected that in when you're going into those places like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This person comes off I think as a huge asshole and being like the mom's being distracted by their own needs. It's like they're what and then saying that they're a menace to shoppers and to their mental health, like it's yeah, I think I think that's poza.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This was definitely written by a very a guy and a very specific kind of guy, probably the same guy who doesn't want to wait for kids to get on the school bus.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I'm I just can't believe this on a fire off a letter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty uh, pretty rude, pretty rude, loser.
Speaker 2: I agree on that one.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess we've got we've got two we think are stupid and one we think is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're on agreement. That's good.
Speaker 1: Phil, You've done it. This was our podcast.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was so fun.
Speaker 1: It has so much fun with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was so fun fun. Thank you guys, it was.
Speaker 3: So fun to talk to you. Thanks for being here. And by the way, where can people find you find your work? Et cetera at all?
Speaker 5: It's on HBO.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, Bill, HBO. I think I've heard of it. This is a premium in Max Max. Anything else do you do in any goops around town or goops?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going up some places and now I can do any goops, getting out doing some goofs and my homies. Yeah, ticking some bucks?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, okay, So HBO and Max HBO and Max we love We stand HBO.
Speaker 5: Stan.
Speaker 1: By the way, are your daughters using gen z Lingo?
Speaker 4: No, not really, I'm just I'm happy about Yeah. Yeah, I think there they might be on the cusp of that generation.
Speaker 3: That's like right, what's the generation after Gen Z's Alpha.
Speaker 2: I think it's Alpha, maybe Alpha.
Speaker 5: Maybe we're generation alpha. You guys. Wow, Hey, you guys, it's going to be.
Speaker 1: You're tak an impression of your daughters.
Speaker 5: I hope you know we're going into space.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go, we're just generation Alpha. Can you please be cool?
Speaker 5: Look, I'm generation Alpha. I don't know how much your brain weighs. I'm really smart. That's right, all right, it was fun.
Speaker 1: Well, that was really fun.
Speaker 5: You got to give it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks to everyone for listening.
Speaker 3: Please keep an eye up for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird, where we will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones.
Speaker 1: Sneaking into movies. That's what we talked about with you.
Speaker 5: Bill.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Bill, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks