Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations. It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and branding expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Rashan McDonald's host, money Making Conversation masterclass. The interviews and information this show provides off for everyone.
Speaker 4: It's time to stop reading.
Speaker 3: Other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest is Kim Whitley's Nature graduate, activist, author, comedian, and most importantly Amon Kid.
Speaker 4: Was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and I found out raised in Sudan, Africa.
Speaker 2: Seventeen.
Speaker 4: We got talk. We got to talk with her. Her success. No holloist started with.
Speaker 2: Me as a cloud.
Speaker 4: You know, That's all I knew. Then I found out through more research A Copter school teacher.
Speaker 3: We would discuss her career outside of acting the legacy of our differend Uh David Orman this.
Speaker 4: You know, when you know somebody for a long time, you know they talented. Kim Whitley is.
Speaker 3: One of those people where before she started being as talented as she as a stand up coming, people always called me.
Speaker 4: He said, on who you recommend to be a funny hope?
Speaker 3: I said, Kip with me? She knows, I said, I knew she wasn't there's a stand up but she was just gifted. I mean she walked out on stage, nothing bothered her. I remember when we were in the Bermuda and with Earth Wind and Fired, she was like remember that God and the promoter said, who you recommend to come out there and host? I said, Kim Whitley, kick wit me and she came out. Because I always knew there was something about you. First of all, you're not afraid of anything. And then but the fact that I just knew that audience, you know, because it was like about ten thousand people staying at you in Bermuda.
Speaker 4: And Earth when Fire was headlined.
Speaker 2: That was when David David Arnold came with me.
Speaker 3: Yes, and remember Anthony Hamilton was there, Steve Harvey were all there, remember.
Speaker 2: And that's right, Smokey Robinson. That was so excited.
Speaker 4: You remember that because Gladys Knight was hanging out. She came on the side.
Speaker 3: And then little miss Kim really out there hosting this big old event.
Speaker 4: And I said, you come, and she came and paid it, she did everything.
Speaker 3: When did you start getting the stand up bug, which at the early days just walking out there. When did you start putting the thoughts or the seeds of being a stand up?
Speaker 2: I mean, we could really be transparent here because you're my guy, and I probably should have called you a long time ago. This is the truth is this. There's always fear, but I don't want the audience to think there's fear, because if the audience thinks you're afraid, they're not gonna ride with you. You have to be fearless and go out there and be free. And it's interesting. I've always you know, like that improv stand up and just talking to people I've loved. But when you put people think anyone can do stand up, you can't. It really is an art to stand up. And I started writing things down, like right when that movie Harlem Knights was out, and I had this little pad of paper, Dela ree a pad of paper might have been like this big, you know, and I used to write down little things that I thought I might have had three four jokes. And I met Red Fox and Ronaldo Ray and Richard Pryor and of course Eddie Murphy. And the truth is, I've always had I have a funny family, and I grew up with all boys, so you know, they were joning on me all the time. And you know, during that movie, I was the I was the guardian of the little boy in the movie because my friend, his father was an actor, couldn't make it that that day. He said, Kim, could you go to set? And I remember walking around a corner and Ronaldo Rey, you know, Ronaldo Ray trying to be funny. There were no chairs, and Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor and of course Red Fox were sitting in those director's chairs. And I went around, you know, in the set, I went around one of those corners and I saw these greats and I was so nervous I jumped. I was like, oh my god, I went around the wrong corner, Like how do I get you know, I was like, oh my god, cat, I backpedal, and Ronaldo Ray looked at me and say, hat hey, little girl. You know he says, long as I got a face, you got somewhere to sit. No, no, he said that in front of all of them. But you know Kim from Cleveland. And I remember looking at him and saying, and as long as you got a face like that, I guess I'll be standing. And all I know is Red Fox spit his coffee or it was Richard Pryor. They jumped out their seat. Bernaldo Ray was red, he was mad. I was in a sheer panic. Oh my god. And Red Fox came up to me and said, are you a stand up? And I said, I said no, but I want to be. And he said, get ten minutes of material together and I'll help you.
Speaker 5: Don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Master Class, hosted by Rashaan MacDonald.
Speaker 2: And he said, I'm tired of seeing these ugly funny That's what he said to me. I was like, he said, he said, pretty funny. And ten minutes for Sean is a stand up? You a new stand. I was like ten minutes, right, and I did. I was scared because my mother was like sex and rock and roll in La, right, and I didn't know. I was not hungry enough or I was not fearless to say give me your number, let's go.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Didn't do it. Red Fox died. The day he died, he died, I went out and did my first three minutes of stand up because I felt like I missed an opportunity and it pushed me in that direction. And I'm still not where I should be.
Speaker 3: Oh, Rashwan, I'm gonna tell you something and that I know you may not be because you know you always drive, You always driving for the ultimate joke.
Speaker 4: That's when you're a comedian.
Speaker 3: Because there's a lot of people going to say they think they find ady get off state and walk off state like they've done something. Not a blessing to see Cherrs Shepherd and her on tour several dates in the Northeast, and.
Speaker 4: I, you know, because when you saw somebody.
Speaker 3: In a long time and then you see them perform at the level that she was performing, I was like taking aback in a good way.
Speaker 4: And I told her, I said, you're your standard for real, and you.
Speaker 3: Really didn't accept that because you thought I I was just saying something to be with, but you really have That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to get when did it turn?
Speaker 3: When did they click that this is what you could do as a stand up because as an actress you're phenomenal, But as a stand up, that's a whole differ. No script audiens don't know you You have to every certain amount of seconds, you got to generate some type of positive response, where as a laugh or a clap or a gold girl or whatever.
Speaker 4: That's a certain fear that you have to overcome. You do.
Speaker 2: And you know when it clicked. When my dear friend, the late great David Arnold, we went on tour together and I was forced to do stand up. So what David said was, Kim, we're gonna use your celebrity to get in these rights. That's what it was, right. I was like, I don't want to. I'm an improv stand up. I don't like doing the same material. That was the biggest thing to get over. I like talking. He said, Kim, to be a stand up, you have to repeat the joke. And I didn't even like listening to my own voice. So I had to get over that and we would book the date. So I was forced and David, and David was for We have a running joke. We had a running joke that I complained I quit before every show. I was like, I quit, I can't, I can't do it. Two shows a night, one show Thursday, two shows Friday, two shows Saturday, and one show Sunday. Whoa in these clubs? I was like, Oh, that's a lot of work and lazy. So David, he said, We're gonna use your celebrity to get me in these clubs so they'll know me. They don't know me. The radio station never gave him headphones to talk, and they were always with me this one. People don't understand. He was the heavy. I was the name, so I would get them. So I would we would do these clubs. We'd have a person bring us up. I would do first twenty minutes and then I would introduce him because always said, I'm yinga Ross. This is my Michael Jackson coming to the stage. But what they don't realize is I was bringing him up to clothes because I knew he was gonna take it home. And then we went up together and we cut a food. So that's when it happened when I really started developing my act. We did, he said, she said, and y'all did for a number of years, right, Yes, we did. And then he he got so strong and so popular. He was going back to the clubs, selling out and adding shows. I was like, really, just gonna leave me.
Speaker 3: He's gonna leave, yes, because it was funny, you know, when he when I saw his first Netflix field, we talked from David Arnold and it was Shotney Cleveland, and then I saw Kim Whitley.
Speaker 4: I said, what's going over there? And then I called you.
Speaker 3: I said, David, know what's incredible? I said, can you give me his number?
Speaker 4: So I call it and I called him and I just and he just couldn't believe I called him. He said, you calling me? I said, yeah, dude, I gotta tell you man, you funny brother. I said, can I interview? He said, yeah, you can interview me? And it was it was a blessing.
Speaker 3: I think when I look at the whole relationship that you and him had, Okay, he was smart enough to realize, look, I don't nobody know me, but I'm fun they know her, but she needs to understand put and she can be even more funny. So he gifted you with the work that now you're taking advantage of because you got.
Speaker 4: A close a bit that you do on stage.
Speaker 3: Girl as a killer, I'm telling you something. I ain't gonna tell you how something. But first of her whole set is beautiful. The whole set is beautiful. And and as as a stand up and I watched for women to do stand up is even more difficult. It's more difficult for sea young lady who is came into the acting game and then went on stage gifted and prov person.
Speaker 4: And then David said, look stop, we're in this right now. You let Red Fox go. We're gonna we're gonna make it happen right now. And then all of a sudden, you're blasted.
Speaker 3: Now you're able to generate revenue for yourself as a stand up comedian.
Speaker 2: Correct, Absolutely, Sean, you're hitting that one on the head because we are definitely you know, I'm just like, it's it's it's happening. They're like, you don't talk about Joshua in your stand up and people always ask when I was like, I don't find nothing funny about that boy just agitated. Just get her mom, I'm mad at them all the time.
Speaker 3: That's her gift, right when she said that, I'm teasing the breeze of people who are funny.
Speaker 4: When she said that, that made me laugh because once she that's what I'm saying. She's so young in the game.
Speaker 3: That's why I know she gave eighty years old and she was still won't be making people because one day gonna really click in this she just funny and they as a comedian, two plus two really is four. And when she said that, ain't nothing funny about that bar right there, I'm laughing hard because she was funny and she just spoke because she's so brilliant in the way we've seen her on so many scripted shows and HBO and David you know you that was a big blow up for you and blow and just being in prov and being African American and being featured in that way.
Speaker 4: That was huge. But then, like the funny part before we wrap up this interview is a couple of stories.
Speaker 3: I gotta say to her that I didn't know okay, because you know, you read people's bio. And then because of the striker were limited on talking about movies. She's in her TV shows, she's starting in so Rashane had to dig dp.
Speaker 4: Born in Cleveland, raised in Sudan, Africa. How are you right?
Speaker 2: How? And that's when people are like, how did that happen? Yes, you know, well it's interesting. I'm so glad it did happen because I have that part of my life that my father is an architect, had an architectural firm. But back in the day when he first started, my father worked for a company, Dalton and Dalton, and they were building schools in Africa, and they sent over a black family, a white family, and an Asian family. I swear it's the craziest thing.
Speaker 4: It was the.
Speaker 2: Sailors who were still friends with and the maidenans so and they had so we went to Sudan and it was an amazing experience because I remember as soon as we moved in there was a spider. I swear the spider was this big on the wall. Maybe because I was a kid, there was a huge spider. But that's how it happened. We my father was building schools and Sudan and I know my parents said, you know, once you get to high school, we got to leave because they didn't have high school American high school there. But I had an English nursery school teacher that American wreck where we would go over and do all the American holidays. But I wasn't there. Like what happened was there was a civil war and all the Americans had to get out. When I tell you, we left our dog in the yard with a bone, that's all I remember.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is horrible.
Speaker 2: Because we got the dog from another family that had to you know, they brought families in and they gave us the dog. The dog was mean. We couldn't even get that dog for two weeks. We had to leave on a leash and send food over with a stick. But became the best dog ever. But when we left, we had to leave the dog and we had to put our stuff on a ship up and get it back to America. But in between that time, my parents said, well, you know what, let's travel Europe because we we we can't be we had somebody living in the house, so we can't go back.
Speaker 4: It was a lot.
Speaker 2: It was a lot.
Speaker 4: She's my good friend. She's a stand up extraordinary.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We didn't even talk about the podcast, we didn't talk about the wish.
Speaker 4: We've been talking about everything, but because.
Speaker 3: I had to get to sue An talk in, I was not going off the show not talking about Confident School Teaching days and sue An.
Speaker 4: So I'm sorry audience.
Speaker 3: Raseean had the ass some things he never asked the great incredible stand up community, so follow.
Speaker 2: Me on Instagram and on social media. K Y M Whitley across the board.
Speaker 4: I love you and we talked soon again.
Speaker 3: The incredible Kim Whidley took time to talk to us on Money Making Conversation.
Speaker 2: Master Clafe, thank you.
Speaker 5: For joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts