Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anna and Samantha and welcome to stuff One Never told you production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And and you I have a question for you. We haven't done this in a while, but have you ever had a work spouse or would you ever say that you actually had a work spouse at any point in time that you called them this. I don't think I've ever called anyone that.
Speaker 1: I would say, given the job we do and how it kind of works, I've never called you that, but I would say you Lauren from Safer and before that, Kristen from stuff one never told you the previous Pounder notes like and it's kind of like your whole days spent somewhat in involved in what they're doing, and you're working together. Then I would say those those three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, you can't have two work spouses any That's not how this works. It's not no, like, this is not a.
Speaker 3: Thing my hands, isn't that it's so funny like according to and we're gonna talk about some of the reasons why you don't want to have it, this is one of those reasons.
Speaker 2: Jealousy within the workplace, because I used to make jokes about this and uh, in my job as a bartender slash h brewer and work in the breweries. I had a dude who he and I were always paired together because we had the same schedule. So I had two people that I worked with specifically, and they're both dudes, and one of them we were just laughing about the fact that we only see each other and this is so weird whatever, and he's like, oh, no, are you my work wife, Like he said that way incredulously, and I was like what, And then the whld joke was that he was my work husband slash the dude the other dude that I was working with with my boyfriend my side piece, is how we joked about it, just because he wasn't around as much as this one. But like the one who said it, the original work spouse was like married, happily with children and all these things, like all all those things, and I never really thought of it outside of we see each other at work and we talk about work. End of story, Like we don't really talk about personal life. We talk about our other job because that was a part time job. His job was difficult, my job was difficult, So we would talk about that, but never anything else. So it wasn't ever a thing outside of that, so it was very innocent to me. And apparently like in my other job, as when I worked as a social worker, I made really good friends with this one dude that I thought nothing about. But according to who is now another good friend of mine from that workplace was like, you stole him from me, and I was like what, Just like, yeah, we used to. One of the things we would do is go around and check up on our kids and make school visits and house visits and make sure that everything was going okay, and he and I would partner up and do this every time. Part of the reason is like he is a six foot seven dude, very big, and I was like, you know, it's kind of nice having this when I'm going to see kids who are on the juvenile list and that I are all bigger than me, So like this was not a bad thing, but I didn't think anything about it. But I think someone had told me at one point that his wife at the time was not happy that I would be in the car with him because we would drive together to these places and he would either mention my name or something like that. So I was like, oh, oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, back and off real quick, back and off real quick. Because in my mind I hung out with married men, which is not a great sentiment, but because they were safe, I did not think of them as again, we've had this conversation of any being available, so therefore we were fine. There would be no attachments, there would be no feelings were good. That is my naivety of like, of course he's married, why would he want to talk to me. This is silly. We are just friends like it. Just it didn't make sense or co work coworkers because we didn't hang out outside of work. We didn't talk or text each other outside of work. That was not a thing. It was all in house. And of course he would tell me a little bit about his wife, but never his problems. It was more about like, oh, this are some things that we're doing. We're building a house, we're moving here, stuff like that. So in my head it wasn't a big deal. Well, y'all, if you can't tell what this Monday Mini is about, I think you've got a hint. And we are talking about the work wife work spouses now essentially, and we're going to cling to that side of the story of like everything is not what it seems. I guess because I've gotten so many tiktoks. Yes, I know, I've talked about TikTok constantly for the past six years, just getting have only bit on a fr a couple of years. But anyway, and in the tech talks, there's a whole about these stories of work wives gone wrong, essentially a lot of cheating, a lot of infidelity, or a lot of problems happening, which I'm not surprised, but I didn't think that as in like I've called people of work spouses where husbands being called the work wife and never had any like ill intent. I will say it that way. So to see it this way, it feels dramatic, like it's a soap opera but apparently goes down, Annie goes down. But of course, yes, I did go down this rabbit hole. But before we talk about it, I'm gonna talk about the brief history. And this is according to the cut dot com and Wikipedia, So those are the two sources I'm pulling from. So, according to the cut dot Com. In a nineteen thirty three story for The New York Times, the British journalist and British liberal Party politician Philip wood Well Wilson attributed the term office wife to Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone, who parl Wilson used it to describe the ideal relationship between a prime minister and his secretary, and by secretary, Gladstone referred not to the person in an office stereotypically a woman who answers phones and completes other administrative tasks, but a person stereotypically a man who serves as an advisor, ghostwriter, schmoozer beneath a prominent politician, and by osmosis, absorbs some of his political power. According to Gladstone, the relationship between politician and secretary should mirror that of husband and wife, except that both should be men. But still, I guess office wife would be derogatory because he has less power the office wife, but still wants to be a man, right well, it goes on to say. The terms modern connotations are most often attributed to the journalist David Owen, who wrote a story called work marriage for the Atlantic in nineteen eighty seven. Like Gladstone's before him, Owen's definition of work marriage is allegedly platonic, but unlike Gladstone, as far as I can tell anyway. According to the writer, Owen explicitly explains that the appeal of a work wife lies in her being very much like your quote home wife, except she doesn't nag you. Your work wife would never ask you why you don't just put your dishes right into the dishwasher instead of leaving them in the sink. She doesn't know you do it, he writes. Also, she would never wedget your car between two others in the parking lot at Bradley's, sign you up to be the pie auction here at a church bazaar, or grab hold of your stomach and ask what's this blubber? She knows you only as you appear between nine and five, recently, fully dressed, largely awake, and in control of your life. In other words, your work wife finds you sexy long after the woman you married does. So you can already kind of tell the problem here. So from the Wikipedia page, it says work spouses is a phrase, mostly in American English, referring to a co worker with whom one shares a special relationship, having bonds similar to those of a marriage. Early references suggest that a work spouse may not just be a coworker, but can also be someone in a similar field who the individual works closely with from a partnering company. A work spouse has been defined as a special platonic friendship with a work colleague characterized by a close emotional bond, high levels disclosure and support, and mutual trust, honesty, loyalty, and respect. So again, all of these are supposed to be platonic friendships, and yes, as you can tell, these are more of the heteronormative ideas. In fact, the cut article also notes that it does bring a layer of hetero sexist ideas. Owen's work marriage and its larger cultural adaptation is also exclusively exhaustingly heterosexist, close but platonic relationships that can exist between coworkers of the opposite sex. The woman coworker is a wife because that's the only way her male superior can conceive of her presence in his place of work, no matter her title. Her primary role is to support him, and she has little to no power in her own right. So obviously this kind of goes hand in hand in that conversation we had about weaponized incompetence, especially with sexism in the workplace. But Again, that's not necessarily the focus here, which we should come back to, because that's a whole different conversation that we need to have and why that's not as qcy as many of us think. But like this conversation in itself about what it is and who it's belonging to and who get is the title, and yeah, it does seem that it's mainly about the work wives being a support and that whole Owen's connentation of her seeing him as sexy right after the many years of marriage with his wife, even after that, which makes me cold, Like, who is this dude? He can't know if he was married, He wasn't married for long, right, There's no way he wrote a whole damn article. Come on, yeah, like at this point the wife was he never was married or he just recently got divorced, was on the cuspod of divorce, Like there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, I mean so much of this sounds like what you hear when you hear about cheating anyway, right, is that you know the usually in what we hear, the woman in very ahead and arm of contacts who the man is cheating with. She is seeing the side of him that is not the side that the wife is getting.
Speaker 2: Right, the disaster of him not being.
Speaker 1: Supportive, like wanting someone to essentially just be like, Wow, you're amazing.
Speaker 2: You're so smart, I love your ideas. Oh yeah, and you know it's it's that question is this title problematic in the first place? And should partners and spouses be worried or jealous? And what does that look like? So there are studies that show that having good relationships and the workplace can be healthy, even for your personal relationship. So in a article written by FastCompany dot com, which we've talked about when it comes to corporate stuff, Interestingly, when you have a strong relationship with colleagues, it tends to spill over into your life with your real spouse. An intriguing study published and Applied Psychology found when you have a great relationship with a friend at work, you'll be more likely to build a strong, positive relationship with your husband, wife, or partner. So that was interesting to me. I was like, really, okay, I mean I think like, as long as you're open, I know for the most part, yes, Annie, I would call you my work spouse as well, because you're the only person I pretty much talk to in our workspace. But in that we also talk about the fact that you're pretty much in a relationship with myself and my partner because you fulfill needs for both of us that aren't given by the other. So like you give the gaming nerdy conversations that he is dying for all day. So when y'all talk about the last of us, when you talk about games, when you talk about D and D and I just sit at there, sit and stare at you with blank faces like I don't know what's happening, but congratulations. I don't mind that at all. I love that he for you, like he will fulfill the world, Like I don't know what's going on in Star Wars, but he loves it it. Wants to go with you to these things, and I love that y'all have fun. Like I literally tried to send him away with you to do the Haunted House. His schedule wouldn't allow it because I didn't want to do it, but I didn't want you to be by yourself. But I ended up doing it, But like that was one of my plans. But also with that, like you and I are very close and we are very like personal. You come over often, well not as much anymore. But you did come over often and we would have Sunday Sunday Sundays and we would have personal conversations about what's going on. I know about your family, you know about my family, all these things, so like that's definitely an open book as well as the fact that my partner knows about everything pretty much we talk about like there's nothing that's really that secretive and unless it's like a surprise gift or something. And that's kind of how I think it's a great relationship because it's open for all of us. Like I don't hide anything I talk to you about to him or you know all that. Of course, I don't tell you everything about me and my partner talk about necessarily because that's a different relationship on that level. But like that's the same way with his coworkers. He will come and tell me most of the things that there's nothing really to like hide, even with the few people that he talks to constantly because they have to be online with each other to help each other work from home. But there are those things that I'm like, Okay, this seems healthy to me, and I think it brings up better conversations the part of that is, like my partner tells me a lot about work, and that's that's a great conversation. That's kind of that common ground that I know nothing about. But I can be supportive, right, So that's different, Like I can see that as a thing. And again Fast Company does make the point that the majority of people, or majority of the friends that people make is through work. It's kind of that proximity and all that. That's all you've got a lot of the times, unless you are creating new adult hobbies, which is awesome, and are actually active in getting out there, most likely the only places that you're able to make friends is through work. And yeah, I think with the closest first, I bring out like two or three friends per workplace I've discovered, Yeah, which is pretty good.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would say probably two thirds of my friends I made through work that I am in constant like contact, right, right, And it's true. I mean, if you're spending your time with them, you have common shared experiences because you have things you can complain about together. Right, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: You're right, we complain a lot too. But again, this proximity thing can be dangerous, especially when it's crossing boundaries. According to a Newsweek art call, many people don't think this type of relationship is appropriate, so they say. According to a poll conducted by Redfield and with Wilton Strategies for Newsweek, U of US adults that is okay to have a work spouse, but forty five percent said it wasn't appropriate, and the study goes on saying that it could be a generational thing. Feelings about work spouses are sharply divided along generational lines. Members of Gen Z and Baby Boomers, which to me this is a huge gap, are most likely to approve of work spouse relationships. The middle cohorts, millennials, and Generation X are more likely to disapprove, which I found is interesting because technically, again I would be gen ic slash millennials. I'm an exllennial whatever that is. I don't have a problem with it necessarily, This again has an underlying aship not necessarily do you trust but are they trustworthy? But the fact that it is like gen Z and baby but was surprising to me. I feel like those are two different reasons to why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my d jerk answer would be, I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong, but I feel like a lot of this feels so like Boomer generation, right, which is, you know, women coming into the workplace, She's still going to be subordinate to me, but she's in here. And then the woman at home, because that was the situation at the time. Most of the time, the wife may be wondering why he's.
Speaker 2: Still not home.
Speaker 1: I can't share that part of her life with him. I remember once this is such a weird story and I still don't know what to make of it. But one time my dad came home late and I kissed him. I was like eight, I was young. I kissed him on the cheek and I had I was like wearing lipstick and it made like a you know, a little kind of lipstick on his cheek.
Speaker 2: And he was like, oh great, now you're your mom's gonna be mad. She's gonna think I'm having an affair. And you know, as a kid, I was like what what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would think it was it would be much more they would think that.
Speaker 2: But right, I don't I agree. I find that odd. I find this like a lot. Then who did they ask? Just a bunch of men who was like hell, yeah, yeah, boomers who were like yeah, absolutely, Like I just think of like a Madman generation of which is like I feel like that was the not the startup, but the beginning of the stereotype of like the secretary of fair things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it is a big trope, and that is true. It is a big trope.
Speaker 2: So I just wonder if I were like the men of that generation was like, yeah, we loved having work wives. You know what this is me? What does that mean? Or maybe it's just like back into that conversation of like having someone who is your subordinate do all your work for you and you get to take credit and its usually a woman, Like is it that too, which is also a part of mad Men? Right, So again, according to Lovepanky dot com, I didn't make you say that, You're welcome. There are some pros and cons to having work spouses, and I feel like that was on everything, and there's even like how to like being like, you know, they were great. But some of the pros would be companionship at work. Obviously, it's nice to have a friend there so it's not an awful day at work being able to collaborate with someone, and then it boosts your confidence when you have someone backing you like, I definitely have really great friends who, like we both would come through and have conversations with about ideas and especially if you need validation of like am I crazy for thinking this was like off or this way and they're like no, no, no, this is this. So having that, But then of course there's the cons There's jealousy from other coworkers, which I dealt with and some that I was like, wow, and then we would just joke like I'm I'm just nicer than you, Just kidding, but no, like having people being jealous of other people's bonds, competition from co workers, and trying to be closer to different people. Maybe it's closer to the boss who knows, and it can cause problems with your actual spouse, which again that's that big question of like who who is being hurt here? Again, there are things that I've seen on TikTok are far more dramatic and life changing than what we were talking about here, especially with the connotations of the conversation, like kind of joking to me, it's such a joke term that didn't really think about what that implies. But yeah, probably not the best to go home to someone and be like, yeah, my work wife and just keep referencing them as a work wife and then that they're too into the joke. I feel like that's a big red flag, like they need to stop. There's something odd going on. There was all these warning signs of them people being too close to their work sposses, workwives, where husbands like the fact that, uh, if they never want you to meet them, that's a huge red flag and I would think that too. Yeah, of course we know when it comes to cheating, there are so many other things that contribute to cheating, and then there's a whole underlying factor. Not that that it's not people's faults. It is, but like we know, oftentimes with trust issues, commitment issues, we don't know how far or what's happening in a marriage or a relationship that could be the catalyst, but this could be the final nail on the coffin or the beginning. And to me again personally, it's discussing unnecessary to cheat, especially if you're in a committed relationship with open conversations of being committed. Of course, again if you're a polyamorous and if you have other open if you have open marriages and such coco cool. But for those who are doing these and lying and hurting people, of course it's gross. Uh yeah, And for some just the level of closeness borders on cheating.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of that conversation. I mean, you would say that this is emotional cheating. Especially if all you do is confide into that work spouse about the problems that of your marriage or your relationship. That's a reflag. If you're doing that, that is emotional cheating. If you're investing in them to get all of your confidence and all of your like, there's something wrong with that too. And then there's this level of conversation that you have again and the personal information that it's being shared. Again, there's a few things that I understand, Like, for sure, if I'm upset or something, we have this conversation, and I guess it really is Like, especially if it's the opposite sex, with you being heterosexual, that's the whole problem. If you're not and you're having this conversation with someone that you're a little too attracted to, also like a big problem too, especially again if it's not agreed upon to be open or to be polly or whatever whatnot. That's the whole level of like h red flag. So definitely some ideals, and then like a lot of conversations and a lot of articles came to like, maybe we should just retire that phrase all together. And I'm like, yeah, maybe it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it served. It serves a purpose. It served a purpose of the person you like, work really closely with. But maybe there's a better way to say it. Also say, because I wasn't entirely sure what the meaning actually meant. I was in a situation once with the guy he's actually gay, but we were very very close and we worked together, but everyone everyone was like, oh, you're in love. They would always tell me like, oh you're in love, or oh you were trying to get ahead, or you were trying to So I also think there's like that situation is the whole thing I could go into. But I also think there is a layer of whenever women are hanging around men that maybe have more power than them, it's seen as oh, I know what you're trying to do, right right?
Speaker 2: Well, then yeah again, everybody has as you're talking about the rumor mill in general, it doesn't matter if they see that I was told repeatedly. Everybody's like, y'all are sleeping together, you know, like what what are you talking about? And being very shocked and yeah, I actually had a similar incident where my coworker uh was gay. He didn't come out at work. He only came out to a few of us, and of course, so it wasn't our business to out him. And so people would be like, y'all are gonna y'all should shoul day, y'all should do these things, and I just be like, I'm not his type, like or he's not my type.
Speaker 4: Like that's just that's just the end of the converce, right, it wouldn't go well, but like but the level of like gossip, which could be a problem in itself, and that could start some trouble obviously with your relationships as well, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole thing. But seeing I don't know if we're coming at the end of this term and it's like down fall. Although again, terms have nothing, no real power honestly when it comes to when people do bad things in general. We know this, but like there's something to be like, yeah, maybe that's just that rhetoric needs to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, listeners, let us know what you think, should it say or should it go? You can email us at Stuff Media, Moomstuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff Podcasts, or on Instagram and TikTok at Steph I Never told you. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christenior executive producer Maya, and your contributor Joey.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you for listening Stuff I Never Told You to production of iHeart Radio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, a podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.