Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. It is the top of the week, almost the end of February. So much weird stuff has been going on. West Virginia is prosecuting librarians for some reason. Science has a lot of questions about stingrays, body parts, just a kimbo, all sorts of strange things in the sky. We're thinking we could start off today, gentlemen, with an update to Tara Nullies. Remember the episode we did quite recently on the quote unquote unclaimed land concept.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, which lands are unclaimed yet maybe being claimed?
Speaker 3: Everybody's going after beer tall Will. Doc Holiday is officially buyed up Beer to Will to start her micronation, Pete and Bazonia. That part is not true, just to be clear, we want to thank everybody took time to write in on various social media platforms to talk about Antarctica, because we received a lot of interest on Antarctica, and it appears that some state powers also have a lot of interest in Antarctica, namely China and most recently are raw That's right, the Iran that is nowhere near Antarctica. They're super down. They're super down to expand on the on the southernmost continent. Have we ever talked about China in Antarctica much lesser rat.
Speaker 4: You mean, talked about China whilst physically in Antarctica. I don't think so. But what no, I'm.
Speaker 3: Jump sorry, no, keep it wild nights.
Speaker 2: I think really, I think we've focused on the United States, the UH, German, Germany's interest a while back, and just some some of the research stations that are going on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so a bit of background with Antarctica. The tricky thing about Antarctica is kind of like it's kind of like the Moon. There are seven state powers that have made territorial claims on that continent, but there are other countries that don't have, you know, geopolitical claims, and they are operating in Antitarctica under the guys or the auspice of scientific research places like India, Italy, Japan, Pakistan, Russia, China, and of course the United States. Because of the treaties involving the treaties applied to Antarctica, you can't really lay a terra nullius claim like not one that will be taken seriously. However, in the global West there, especially in Australia, there are increasing concerns about Chinese activity in Antarctica, and Matt Nole this reminded me a little bit of our conversation in that episode where we were saying, oh, well, global temperatures are increasing. The land that is right now so desolate, and so barren may become you know, the new park place in the Great Monopoly Game of Expansion. I don't know West Arctica, man, the dutchy might happen.
Speaker 2: This is this is really cool to me. Okay, So that treaty is based on the idea that nobody's going to use Antarctica for military stuff, right.
Speaker 3: Nor u mineral exploration or resource extraction. So okay, you can go there and you can say, wow, we're learning a lot about ice. The same way that you could go to say Xinyang and study grass, but nothing else.
Speaker 2: Dude. If we've learned anything from Watchman, okay, and other things like that, Antarctica is a great place for frozen waste, great place to build some kind of underground research and development station for I don't know, uap that in the United States military could be developing.
Speaker 4: It's definitely out of the way. This is especially once you dig down into the ice. It's mega out of the way. Boy.
Speaker 2: I guess what I'm saying is like, any superpower is going to know that every other super or middling power is going to be keeping eyes on whatever you're doing in your territory. Well that's fair if you've got a research base that doesn't do military stuff.
Speaker 3: Come on, guys, it's been an ongoing what corporate America would call a healthy conversation, but it's been an ongoing what the rest of the world would call a beetme here dot a being problem for a while because the Antarctic Treaty System is a bunch of stuff that came on like a series of band aids, right instead of sutures for a wound. And as a result of the treaty system, there is no military activity. Legally, there is no mineral exploration. But what is the line between scientific research and you know those things coming to pass? I read a really great article from several twenty nineteen from ABC dot net Au because Australia probably has the best reporting on this right now, and there is some cenophobia, there is some fear mongering, but I was not aware that there's like a crack team of scientists who travel throughout the Arctic, just like Admiral Bird of Old to try to make sure that people aren't drilling for resources or making super weapons, you know, all his home killers and stuff. So shout out to the journalist Jackson goth Snape no Dash Snape real name, And shout out to the scientist Nicholas Gails, who is in an interview here talking about how he and his team have to fly over Antarctica constantly on the off chance they catch one of these great powers doing something evil. Oh this is, by the way, the base that people are worried about now is the fifth base China has continent, so they've been in the game for a while.
Speaker 2: This one's really close to McMurdo, which is the one we probably hear about the most here in the US, and it's referenced in all kinds of fiction stories, and so I wonder if it's a China trying to make sure they have eyes on, right, like close eyes on to what's going on there? And then was it the United States and New Zealand to the five eyes countries that are keeping an eye then on the China base?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, weirdly enough, Australia is Australia is kicking up media about it. But that's the beauty of five eyes, right, you can shut a few eyes at a time, so, right, so they still have eyes.
Speaker 4: Are still some peeping, Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's still some peeping, just so, and the let's give you the specific statements of the Chinese government. This is coming to us from George Bunn writing for GBN. The headline is trying to open to Antarctic base right next to US site as American sphere. It could be used for espionage. It's a very diplomatic title, and it's quite accurate. I do think they're being a bit generous with the idea of fear it could be used.
Speaker 4: Is it a similar situation where like countries who have agreed not to do nuclear proliferation and not to you know, do nuclear research where they occasionally are asked to be inspected. Would it be that kind of situation because of the agreement, I guess not to use it for a military that people would have to be open to inspection. Or is that again kind of another toothless un type measure.
Speaker 3: It is. It is a good comparison. It's a little a little more toothless even because there's not you know, there's not an I CAN or there's not a global like nuclear monitor you know how there's a nuclear monitoring authority across the world. Right, there's not quite the same thing for antarcticut there are a bunch of very overwork to people flying over the like the worst neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Well, the logistics of it seem very prohibitive, just yeah, with how just to even get boots on the ground to get it done, you know, in terms of like an inspection. And then of course, you know, there's what we're doing is only vaguely military and it's relatively easy to hide perhaps you know, I don't know, I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: But what of the polar bears? How are you going to protect yourself if you don't have some kind of security measures.
Speaker 3: Polar bears are in the North Pole.
Speaker 2: Oh my bad, I mean giant crabs.
Speaker 3: There we go, Yeah, ice crabs. The penguins, you know what I mean, No one ever penglings. There's no penguins as the first trans medium threat.
Speaker 4: Right, you've seen those guys march. They're terrifying. Come at you all on masks, you know, in formation.
Speaker 2: By then they're in the water.
Speaker 3: Little dives.
Speaker 4: No man, look to your left, look to you're right.
Speaker 3: Was there a penguin? That's the question they're asking in Antartan.
Speaker 4: Can't look to your left or right anymore because they've been pecked out by directions.
Speaker 3: They're fast, they're fast. Uh, President jimping Uncle Uncle g H talked about this is called the chin Ling Research Center, and he said this is helping us, the nation of China quote ascend the peak of science. And the official word is that they are still adhering to the Hodgepodge of nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Asked treaties really quickly, How do you spell that just so we can look.
Speaker 3: At Yeah, thank you, q I N L I n G pronuncia. It should be a bit tricky. I certainly butchered it. But the yeah you're looking for q I n l I n G. It's the newest of its type. A spokesperson for the Tendling Stations said, it will quote contribute to enhancing humanity's scientific understanding of Antarctica, provide a platform for China's listen closely, China's cooperation with other countries in the Antarctic scientific exploration, and promote peace and sustainable development in Antarctica. So there are a couple of little slide ins there. There are a couple of little like let's normalize things like development, and let's normalize things like sharing information. Bump.
Speaker 2: They're doing it right there. Everybody's getting ready for the ice to milk. They're just like everybody's doing it right in front of everybody else. And there's like no, no, no scientific research. And for the iss, the ice is gonna melntain. This is going to be a continent again, so we gotta.
Speaker 3: It's like you can smell the pizza and you just happen to go into the kitchen and hang out. You're like, I have no interest in pizza. I'm just here like I just like the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I like that. Let's also not do anything to mid agame the ice melting. We're just gonna, you know, make plans for the inevitability of it.
Speaker 2: We're just in such a weird place because we all know what's coming, we all know what's happening. We're all just aware, but we kind of just put our heads down and like, ah, what's that pop star doing with that football player?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel better now.
Speaker 3: Right right? Yeah, we do love a face on an issue, right, Like how many people only learned about the science or the concept of climate change when they saw memes about Greta Thumberg. It's tut tut to be quite honest. But also Australia, this is something a lot of our fellow conspiracy realists wrote to us about. Based in Australia, we're continually, by the way, getting a lot of input from people who are saying the government there is corrupt, compromised by mining oligarchs and by actions of the Chinese nation abroad, especially their investment arms and intelligence agencies. I was unaware, you guys, Australia has, in their opinion a claim the forty two percent of Antarctica. They're saying we're not. They're saying we're not going to you know, militarize it. We're not going to drill for oil. But forty two percent of this is all OZ dude.
Speaker 2: They just made an announcement about a huge military build up over the next decade, especially with their navy.
Speaker 3: Ye yeah, yeah, they have to, though they're kind of late, if we're being completely brutally honest. Yeah, but yeah, like the biggest build up since World War Two? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: That's well, I've read the story and now it's been in a couple hours, so I think.
Speaker 3: That's it, So you're you're absolutely right. We'll also want to shout out another article that came from The Guardian. This was in April of last year. The Guardian, via Reuters and so on and so on. Satellite imagery is showing the extent of development aims under this new Chinese station. It's built odd. First off, the names in Antarctica, except for that one sneak disc that guy made against his wife, the names in Antarctica are amazing, you guys. They're building the Chinese station on a place called Inexpressible Island.
Speaker 4: WHOA. They can't really describe it, though I imagine it's it's like an HP Lovecraft monster there it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just love the idea of the person who named it or quote unquote discovered it. They were talking to, you know, the first mate or something, and I said, wow, look at this island. What should we call it?
Speaker 4: And the guy went, is it inexpressible because it's like beautiful or it's just kind of unremarkable and there's nothing to even grab onto to help describe it. Unclear. We have to look further into.
Speaker 3: That unclear, but we do know, we do know. First off, we have to say that the idea of building a research station in Antarctica is not itself in any way inherently sinister. There is important science to be done. There are legitimate reasons to have these stations like McMurdo and so on. But the idea of five is getting people a little a little squirrely. The main concern is that, and this is according to washing based think tank, the Center for Strategic and International Studies. They've been waving the flag about this for a while. They said, this station can provide tracking and communications for China's growing array of scientific polar observation satellites. It can concurrently be used for intercepting other nations satellite communications.
Speaker 4: Speaking of building research stations in frozen tundras for non nefarious reasons. Did you guys see the season finale of A True Detective.
Speaker 3: I did. I quite enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I did too. Seems divisive and there were some loose ends that maybe would have been nice to have tied up, but I did like the twist. No spoilers here, check it out. Let us know what you think. Sorry, I didn't mean to derail I just I can't help but think about I think it's one of the great uses of like subarctic kind of research stations where there's sinister stuff going on beneath the ice. I did like that theme quite a lot, and it's something that whenever we talk about this stuff, it's easy for the mind to kind of wander in that direction.
Speaker 3: You know, absolutely absolutely, And remember I got pretty close a lifetime or two would go to exploring Antarctica for those same reasons. It's a it's a mystifying, enigmatic land. There is a plot twist speaking of before we move to the next story. There is a plot twist we should add with expansion in Antarctica. And please again, if you haven't checked out our Terra Nullius episode do so it is a series of successful conspiracies. Here's the end before we before we move on a rod. As we tease at the beginning of tonight's program, Aroan has also decided that they will establish a permanent station in Antarctica. And because of again these this band aid series of treaties, they're legally allowed to do so as long as they're not mining for stuff or doing quote unquote military activities.
Speaker 4: What about like research into elder gods for the purposes of life extension technology.
Speaker 2: That's priority number one.
Speaker 3: Sorry, totally find as long as you don't weaponize it, totally.
Speaker 4: Fin Who's who's to say what canon cannot be weaponized or what will and will not be weaponized. Dude, weaponize the hell out of eternal life.
Speaker 3: And we said we wouldn't have spoilers, but that this is that's.
Speaker 4: Not a spoiler. That's what they that is what it was understood to be the purpose of the research that the scientists are doing. You find that on episode one, So I don't think that accounts as a spoiler.
Speaker 3: So the the idea here for Aroan is at least the West is asking can you, guys, actually do this? Do you have the the means, the wherewithal too to establish a base. Legally, no other state power can stop another country from building a legit research station in Antarctica. However, they can do everything in their power to prevent folks from getting there. And that's the that's the tricky thing, right, It's just like a pursuit of happiness in the US.
Speaker 4: But we're just going to stop you every turn, stimy or your dreams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but go for it, you know, good hustle guys. So this is something this might be a new beat of ours for the show. This is something you need to keep your eyes on or your tentacles on. Folks. There's a lot to be discovered in Antarctica and there's a lot that the world powers have to sort out about how they are going to handle this increasingly valuable continent. Now, what's going to happen to the life forms unique to that land? Well, right now, it's anybody's guess. And speaking of guesses, guys, can you guess what time it is.
Speaker 2: Time to jump on the subway? Baby?
Speaker 3: Yes? Technical answer would be three thirty seven pm Eastern, also time for ads. But I like Matt's answer. Let's pause for a word from our sponsor. Let's hop on the subway.
Speaker 2: Oh, guys, did you know you could get a seven day metro card for the New York subway system for only thirty four dollars US dollars.
Speaker 4: I guess that's good, But I always I feel like that subway math. They try to get you where it's like one ride versus the subscription versus the metro path. And also now you can just tap your phone on most of the kiosks, so you don't even need a metro card anymore. I don't know. Maybe this is a great deal.
Speaker 3: It's like a tourist tax essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is for unlimited rides guys on any of the MTA subway system or their buzzes.
Speaker 3: When does it expire after seven days?
Speaker 4: Okay? They used to have a thing back in the day called a fun pass, and that was definitely targeted towards tourists. You know, New York are buying a fun pass. New Yorkers don't have fun.
Speaker 3: This is fun. Oh, come on time now, New York friends text me like men. Cash will sometimes text me and pre New York is the most fun. Guy, I knew now just.
Speaker 4: Gloom and hate.
Speaker 2: I don't believe you.
Speaker 4: Because it's not true fun for days.
Speaker 2: Okay, So guys, when is the last time you wrote on the subway for real?
Speaker 4: Last time I was there in New York?
Speaker 3: Yeah about a month half ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pretty recently. Okay, I haven't been in gosh years. How would you describe it overall? Just your experience on the subway when it comes amazing?
Speaker 4: Okay, since I mean it's it always goes where I think it's gonna go. It seems relatively safe. You might see a rat here and there and smell some peepee, but other than that, I've certainly found it to be safer feeling than it was in years.
Speaker 3: Past and.
Speaker 4: From the seventies when I was but a lad traversing the streets of New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the As an urban planning nerd, the history of the subway is amazing, the infrastructure itself is amazing, and the maintenance it takes is weird. Now, one thing about the subway in New York is it's the great unifier. Right. You will see people from the upper echelons. You will see people struggling, and they'll sit on the same thing. There's something very American about that. There's also amazing street performance in art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless you have a chopper. It really is the only way to get where you're going efficiently because a car ain't gonna do it. Chances are you're gonna get held up and log jammed.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant one of those motorcycles that has you know, a chopper like that has the handles get.
Speaker 4: To the No, that kind of chill you know, a helicopter. Okay, okay, if you met like an old school Harley with a big with a big handlebus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a pocket engine.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's a chopper. Babe. Whose chopper is it? Z's it's dead, baby.
Speaker 2: I don't understand those things, but I do love them. There's something a popua.
Speaker 4: Just love them.
Speaker 3: There are also a lot of deaths on the subway. Just to be clear statistically, right, say, I mean, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go with the story. One of these stories we're going to look at right now. Mystery surrounds origin of human leg found on New York Subway From the Guardian. This is written February twentieth of this year by Edward Hellmore. I'm gonna read just a little bit of this, guys, because I thought it was amusing and disturbing. Here we go. Here are the words of Edward. New York's mass transit experience took a grizzly turn last week, as we record, when a dismembered leg was found on the Fourth Line between one hundred and sixty seventh and one hundred and seventieth Streets in the Bronx. Detectives are trying to establish who the limb belongs to and how it got on a subway trackbed. The city's medical examiner later took possession of the leg to find out more about its origins. Authorities could not confirm if the leg belonged to a man or a woman, or how much of the limb was found.
Speaker 3: Wait, so why are they the authorities in this at this point? I don't know there's a scientific consensus. Is it's a human leg?
Speaker 2: It's a human leg?
Speaker 4: What was it like apped in anything? Was it possible that it was a medical transport gone awry.
Speaker 2: We don't know anything about the leg, but just it was the fact that it was a headline in the Guardian right to somebody in the United Kingdom was just like, Oh, but I think this is the reason why I'm so curious about the subway system right now. We'd love to hear from anybody who just lives in New York and uses MTA's services on a regular basis. What is that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. We just want to know what's going on, because this article goes on to say, on Monday night, that's February nineteenth, a fifty seven year old man was found dead in a subway car. And then on Saturday, an argument turned violent at the Queen's Plaza station and a man was beaten with a metal pipe. That attack came two days after a Brazilian tourist was slashed across the neck in an unprovoked assault in the same subway station.
Speaker 4: And so and then there was a cellist that was smashed in the head with a metal water bottle performing in the Herald Square.
Speaker 3: Station, playing along at home. That Brazilian tourist is what is at the fifteenth and then Saturday is the like it also, it feels like it feels like, by the way you could write without the leg you could just write a story of unfortunate things happening over the span of seven to ten days in any major transit system. So I do caution the Guardian on that point.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, and I think that's maybe the whole point in this article. The New York subway system is massive. It's huge, and especially when you compare it to smaller outfits like you know, the one we have here Marta. In a couple other big cities that I've been to, they've got tiny I mean, even if they're large, they've got tiny, little little operations compared to the MTA's thing.
Speaker 4: Even Los Angeles. It's a very Marta esque system. It only goes very few places, not particularly useful. It's sort of a cross, a double cross kind of situation, a lot like the yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And really there's nothing else. Really, there's nothing else more to say besides In this article they note that Eric Adams, the current Mayor of New York, added one thousand uniformed undercover officers to patrol the subway system, which is something to keep in mind when you're on there in both a good and bad way.
Speaker 3: We have what we do have One important announcement, I would add, Bet, have you recently been in New York City and lost a leg? If so please do contact the MTA. I'm kidding that person probably died. A lot of a lot of unhoused people live in a subterraine environment. They get hit by the railway.
Speaker 4: Leg Maybe yeah, that's yeah, maybe that is it. I do have a friend who lives in New York and recently was posting an Instagram story of police doing random bag checks at certain stations. And this friend is a bit of a what you might call in and our guess type individual, So it was very much posted in the context of look what the pigs are doing kind of you know, but I wonder if that's part of this initiative. You know, in the wake of these kind of things, they're probably not looking to you know, grab your weed or anything. I mean, that's freaking legal there. They're probably literally looking for weapons and pipes and you know, slash slashable type you know implements.
Speaker 2: Guys, we have I have two more stories I wanted to do, We're only gonna have time for one, so uh, I'm gonna mention this one super fast. There is an old satellite that was built by the European Space Agency called the ERS two that stands for Earth Remote Sensing satellite and it's the second one of two that were built at the same time and launched. It is another one of these satellites that has been decommissioned. It has been uncontrollable for years now. Things has been about fifteen years where that thing has been just orbiting around the Earth. Nobody can do anything with it. But the team behind the team that was controlling the satellite, when they could control it, put it into a lower orbit on purpose. So eventually it would just crash into the Earth at some point. And at the time it was fifteen years ago, they estimated it would be about fifteen years then it would crash into the Earth. And as we are recording today, guys, that satellite is headed towards Earth on Wednesday, February twenty first, and they have no idea, well they have a slight idea of where it's going to crash. And all of the scientists say, well, the Earth is mostly water, so you know, the possibility is that it's going to hit water if any of the parts, the constituent parts that are made of like carbon fiber, make it through that gauntlet that is the atmosphere. Really nice, yeah, but think about that, there's satellites above us that are going to be crashing back into the Earth, and who knows where they're going to land, And it really could. It's like winning the lottery five times in a row or something, or whatever the crazy probability is. But still that's kind of scary.
Speaker 3: I think we're about what we're about like four to six hours out from hitting the surface, like from the from the rs Ers two hitting the surface right now as we record, right, they didn't get sure. They didn't get the re entry time right either, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was there was a window of like three hours that they were looking at and that would massively change the trajectory where it would end up right once it hit the atmosphere. Creepy stuff. And the only reason I want to bring it up is because space X just said that they're going to decommission like a hundred satellites. So they're but they're going to do the same thing because we at least according to official sources, we don't have something like the X thirty seven B or Z that can go up there and pull a satellite down and then bring it back. They just have to crash only way to get them down, or.
Speaker 3: You could you can pop them out of the sky, but only if they're yours, because we have treaties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can pop them out the sky, but then they create the debris field that ends up not letting anyone put any more satellites up there. So you really do have to just roll the dice and let them fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but hope it hits as close to the point nemo as possible. Right, But you're right there on the math percentage wise. I mean, it's very dirty like casino math to say, well, there's more water, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: Well, and again it's a it's a huge satellite. You can look at pictures of it online, but if you do look at it, it is huge. Most of those pieces that you can see are going to break up. There are some pieces inside, some components that are made out of things like carbon fiber that are more likely to reach the surface. But that's not the main thing, guys. The main thing the guardians over there trashing the MTA and New York's subway as system. Well, guess what, there's some trash going back to the UK. Sorry, guys, we love you. This is just a story we're gonna read. This is from BBC News Today. Quote trident missile test fails for second time in a row. What is a trident missile? Do you guys? Are we aware of a trident missile?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, they're the missiles that failed twice in a row.
Speaker 4: I'm picturing them looking like sort of like a Neptune trident situation. Yes, with three prongs. I don't know why. I mean, here's the name.
Speaker 3: It's the sub right, it's on the subs.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the missile system, or it's the missile. Let's call it the missile system. The nuclear deterrent system that is meant to be inside a submarine and then fire from the water in like in a magical way, and then travel a long distance. I think these are ICBM type things or I don't know, it's like that. But it's from a ship, a sub and it's supposed to have a nuke on it, specifically, that's what it's for. It's supposed to nuke things and then it's supposed to exist as it deterred to other countries with nukes because you never know where the submarine's gonna be with that trident missile on it.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 2: Well, the Royal Navy attempted to fire one of these missiles and it did not work. It literally started to fire, it went out from the submarine and then just kind of crashed like right here from where the submarine was.
Speaker 4: Yikes. That could be dangerous to those on board, right, I mean if it detonated.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, But there's in these tests, there is never a warhead according to the sources, right, the military. There's never a nuke on any of these things. There's just the missile itself, right, the missile body. It cost seventeen pounds that missile that failed.
Speaker 3: Pound sterling just because I said US dollar earlier.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm going to just here we go in a writtence. This is from the article, by the way, from the BBC. In a written statement to Parliament, Defense Secretary Grants Shapes Shaps, Sahapps confirmed quote and anomaly did occur during the test on the thirtieth of January this year. But let's see tried. It is quote the most reliable weapons system in the world.
Speaker 3: That is true. The US uses it does.
Speaker 2: And the US build well, the US like builds parts of it. And then there's a what they share I guess the warheads the United States and the United Kingdom's really interesting stuff. It freaks me out, guys, because the twenty sixteen test that the Royal Navy did also failed, and in this instance it was the targeting something within the actual missile itself, the smart systems in it. It veered way off course. And can you imagine we get into a point where we're launching nukes and the nuke just malfunctions and goes somewhere else. We're already kind of screwed at that if we're in a nuclear war. But how is that then a deterrent? If if the enemies of a country are the other superpowers that view the United States and the United Kingdom as enemies, they see that, oh they're triedent systems just messing up lately. Will you guys notice that that feels scary to me?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You can read all about this, guys. It's freaky.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There's also it reminds me a little bit. It's been a it's been a great year for weird missile experiments. The DPRK North Korea is getting a lot of Western press because they're continued like missile launches whenever they want to come back to the bargaining table, they'll launch a bunch of missiles into the ocean just to show that they still have the chops, I guess. And recently, it reminds me, Matt. Recently some North Korean missiles were used by Russia and Ukraine and they were found to contain hearts from our friends at NATO and our friends in the US. So in that context, right, knowing the way this technology proliferates in that context, could argue I'm no proof here, but you could argue that it is helpful to make a weapon system seem that it is not as capable as it is. I don't know, it's weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man. The whole psychological pursuit behind that thing is to be like, don't mess with us because we have this. And the last successful test that the UK did with this system was in twenty twelve, so like, that's a long time ago. There have been one hundred and ninety successful tests of this system, which is a lot for a really, really expensive system. But it still freaks me out, man, because it feels like if North Korea can launch all their missiles, but then we're you know, the United Kingdom goes down and says, oh, yes, well look at how a missile. It stinks scary. Anyway, that's all the news that I've got. Let's take a break and we'll be right back with more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we've returned with one more. Why am I talking like this? It's okay, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Gonna I think the British stuff we were talking try Matt Berry with it, which I appreciate.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think you're pretty good at it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's very kind of you, Ben, you are as well. And this this is sort of a fun maybe is the wrong word, but a story of nature finding a way. It's very it's very Ian Malcolm kind of story. To wrap up today's Trange News episode, Unfortunately, Maddy two Hands had to pop off to do some family stuff, so we will continue in his honor and in his stead with a story about the little sting ray that could. Ben. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the place in North Carolina called the Aquarium and Shark Lab, which is on Main Street in downtown Hendersonville.
Speaker 3: Wait, there's a whole lab.
Speaker 4: It says, they've got a shark lab. It's in the Appalachian Mountains. They've got themselves a lab of some some.
Speaker 3: We gotta go, we gotta go. That's where Matt must have went. Obvious failed secret shark stuff.
Speaker 4: But they house other creatures besides sharks, and that includes Charlotte, a rust colored sting ray described by Ben Finley of the AP as being no bigger than the size of a serving platter. And this thing, Yeah, I know it's an interesting but I guess, I guess so. Yeah, Well, speaking of the metric system, apparently her natural habitat is in the waves off of the coast of South California. But she has spent the last eight years of her life are actually it's not quite clear, but eight years is definitely how long she's been in this particular tank with other creatures in this aquarium, including some sharks, but no other male stingrays. And yet, and yet, Ben, Charlotte finds herself with child, with pups. It's an immaculate stingray conception.
Speaker 3: We chose the wrong religion. We chose the wrong religion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Charlotte is apparently pregnant with as many as four pups, according to Brenda Raymer, who is the executive director of said aquarium and shark lab in downtown Hendersonville. She had a really cheerful thing to say. Here's our girl saying, hey, happy Valentine's Day. Let's have some pups.
Speaker 3: Whew, that's wholesome.
Speaker 4: It's wholesome, very wholesome. Speculation has thrived in this particular case. Some folks really no no indication as to whether they are members of the scientific community or not. Asked at the very least, is it possible that Charlotte was impregnated by a shark? The answer from the scientific community would seem to be unequivocally no, that is not possible. It would be the same thing essentially as like a bear impregnating a wolf, or like a wolf impregnating a bear, because evolutionarily speaking, stingrays diverged from sharks I think in the neighborhood of three hundred million years ago, so they're just not closely linked enough, you know, genetically speaking, anatomically speaking, I don't think it could not be done. So what you may ask is the deal. We have some indication as to what might have happened. We've heard of spontaneous asexual reproduction, right be what was the case? What was specifically I think it was with frogs due to things in the water. Perhaps there's a fluoridation maybe, or maybe that I'm just remembering the Alex Jones line. But what was the deal where there was a story we've discussed, maybe even more than one, where there was spontaneous asexual reproduction in certain species.
Speaker 3: Yeah, primarily that'd be parthenogenesis, right, that'd be primarily female instances of different life forms. I want to say, reptiles like snakes or water dragons, can they can reproduce without necessarily having a male factor in to the thing. But I think it's it's primarily like reptiles and fish.
Speaker 4: That seems correct. Yes, that's exactly right. But at least that's what I have here. In another piece from Scientific America on the subject by Stephanie Pappus, headline, how did an aquarium stingray get pregnant without a mate? And Papus refers directly to the phenomenon that you are describing, Ben, And I'm just gonna read a little quick blurb from the article here. Researchers don't fully understand why parthenogenesis happens or what triggers it. Here's how the process works inside the female's body cell division creates sex cells or gameats. That division, called myosis, results in the egg, which can eventually be fertilized by a sperm, and three extra cells called polar bodies. The egg and each polar body each contain half of the complement of genes needed to make a new organism. In parthenogenesis, a polar body fuses with the unfertilized egg, triggering it to form an embryo. And interestingly enough, they go on in this article to say to differentiate this is not where my mind immediately went, but that this is different than cloning, because I guess there is something in common with a process involved in at least a theoretical cloning. I know that there is there has there have been successful attempts at cloning, but I believe it's something like this and it'll say lions. Let's see, you know. Katie Lyons, who's a research scientist at right here at the Georgia Aquarium, says this it's different than cloning, which would create an exact copy of the mother ray. However, in parthenogenesis, because both the egg and the polar body only have portions of the mother's genome, the babies would be less genetically diverse than their mother. Yeah. And then it goes on talking about how in parthenogenesis, some species that experience this phenomenon essentially double their genes before they split their sex cells. A great example that you alluded to earlier been whippedtail lizards, which belong to the genus aspid aspidoscolis. They they actually do reproduce in this way with great success.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I'm recalling correctly, Noll, the the process of arthnogenesis occurs with life forms that are female and the progeny they have are also female. Is that right?
Speaker 4: I think that's right. I'm not quite sure of the sex component of it. But one thing that I think we've been sort of tiptoing around, or at least in some of these excerpts, you might be thinking, this sounds a whole lot like a form of inbreeding, and boy, is it in fact that thing lions. The researcher from Georgia Aquarium very diplomatically says how some offspring that result from this process might not be as robust.
Speaker 3: Oh No, they might be hapsburgen.
Speaker 4: They might be a little habsburg y. And she goes on to say, you can think of them as a highly inbred individual.
Speaker 3: I don't love that. But there's also there's also like, Okay, we know that this is not for any for any of these higher order species. We know this is not the normal path of reproduction, right, this is still an unusual thing to happen.
Speaker 4: It would appear, so yeah, you know, again, a lot of questions circulating immediately when something like this does take place. The pregnancy was confirmed by ultrasound, it's not exactly in the press release that uh, you know, the sting ray spontaneously pregnant, likely to give birth to highly deformed, inbred offspring. They're leaning seemingly leaning away from that, emphasizing the Valentine's Day ness of it all, which I can I can get behind. And again, I don't think it's necessarily a sure thing that there's going to be problems with the offspring. I don't think that's what the researchers are saying. It does appear, however, that this is something that could cause a problem. But one one final thing to add the lions adds to maybe again lean away from the inbreeding aspect a little bit, is that even under the best circumstances, the most quote unquote normal circumstances. The way stingrays produce is already pretty unusual. Apparently, female sting rays mate with multiple males in the spring, and then three to four months later will give birth to pups that have multiple fathers.
Speaker 3: How chimeric?
Speaker 4: Wow, I know, isn't that wild? It says, it says, and they I'm just going to quote verticle because I can. I couldn't possibly paraphrase this any better. And they bathe their fetuses and a kind of nutritious uterine fluid not unlike mammal milk that gives them a survival boost when they emerge.
Speaker 3: Fascinating. Have you ever have you ever petted or pet I guess would be the past as stingray.
Speaker 4: With two fingers two in the touch in the touch tank, they tell you you know what, and they can you know, they got sting in their name, because they can. They can mess you up if you get hit by one. And in the ocean I have there was One of these articles actually referred to something called the stingray shuffle, which is like how you're supposed to kind of traverse the shallower waters, you know, because it's to help you maybe prevent a sting because those things that are those barbed tails can be very very painful and confused with the jellyfish of course, or a Portuguese man o war. This is right, this is different. Everybody knows that.
Speaker 3: Sorry you're stating we need we need to say that stuff though, because as soon as as soon as our fellow conspiracy realist heard us mentioned stingrays, they immediately thought about the death of Steve Verwood in two thousand and six.
Speaker 4: That's right, it like got because you know, I mean of I don't know that he was in Australia when he met his unfortunate early end. But they can get very very large, obviously, like we described this species of sting ray as getting to be about the size of a dinner plate, and the babies apparently are about the size of a baseball, the diameter of a baseball. But we know certain some species of sting ray can get quite large. And Steve Irwin, unfortunately, you know, was stabbed more or less like in the heart. This is my understanding, I mean, a really dramatic end to really beloved human. You know, I think we're all we're all fans of his uh his nature presenting.
Speaker 3: And such a rare way to go as well. Like the the stingray, as we always say in any conversation about wildlife, the stingray is not out to get you. Uh. It's part of the shuffle is that if the stingray senses you, it will go away. Like that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's also you know, similar to bees for the most part, aren't going to come after you. But if you happen to touch one, even after they've died, it just has this like automatic reaction where it'll it'll it'll get you. You know. Yeah, be careful, be shuffle shuffle, shuffle around out there, folks. It's cute looking too. It's a little old man shuffle you know.
Speaker 3: There. It is what I loved about him all those years ago was his his unique gait, his careful shuffle.
Speaker 4: His sting rays shuffle. It also sounds like kind of like it could be like a like a surf rock kind of dancey shuffle them the swim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So shout out to the beach boys as well. I mean, there's one thing you know, from the sources that you pointed us to here that stands out for me. Uh, some of the folks reporting on this, some of the experts are saying that parthenogenesis is a reaction to adverse environmental pressures. Right, So is a posture finds away, nature finds a way. Is it possible then, that that humans could see more instances of parthenogenesis in the wild.
Speaker 4: I certainly imagine that it's possible, And I wonder if, you know, biologically speaking, it could be considered an adverse situation to be without a mate for that long, you know what I mean, Like if you don't, like, you know, a creature wants to reproduce, that's sort of what it's screaming out to do. That's what life wants is to make more life. And I could imagine much like the Jurassic Park dinosaurs who are all bred to be female, they wanted real bad to reproduce, and they apparently spontaneously were able to do so based on some very science fiction y science you know. I know, Crichton is pretty well known for putting the work in you know, into his sciencey stuff in his books. But I do recall when the movie came out that there was a lot of poo pooing of like, you know, I don't think this will exactly happen.
Speaker 3: Oh, right, let's get mad at the fictional story. Yeah, let's get back Yeah, whatever, guys. Also, partner genesis is a real thing. There is true scientific fact behind it. There are a lot of implications about it that we don't fully understand. But I have to ask, do you think this Stingray was playing Roy Orbison's Only the Lonely.
Speaker 4: I'm a little more partial to cry in myself, but Crow, Yeah, they're both. They both play in the situation. I would like to think, so, Ben, Well, hopefully doing the Stingray show, there we go.
Speaker 3: What say we make a mixtape for our Stingray the new single mom there in what was it? Hendersonville?
Speaker 4: Hendersonville, North Carolina?
Speaker 3: And with this we want to hear from you, fellow conspiracy realists. There are a lot of stories we didn't get to today, like this might be for ridiculous history. But Noel, as I'm sure you saw, experts had just dropped the new president rankings. Did you see that? Oh no, Now they got a bunch of like presidential historians together and they were.
Speaker 4: Any hot takes on that list.
Speaker 3: They got some hot they got some hot takes. They got some hot takes.
Speaker 4: I'd love to hear Max weigh in on that, because he's probably got his He's got his own presidential rankings for sure.
Speaker 3: And he just texted us. So we're gonna kid, We're gonna call it a day. We're going to be back very soon. Please tune in to our Spy Satellite updates. Please let us know what's on your mind. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 4: Correct. You can find this at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook, where you can join our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy. We are also Conspiracy Stuff on x fka, Twitter, as well as YouTube, where we have video content rolling out on the regular. On Instagram and TikTok. You can find us at Conspiracy Stuff Show. But wait, there's more.
Speaker 3: He's so good with it, folks, Noel, I want to take a second here just admire how slick you are with that. That's a very I just it rolls off the tongue.
Speaker 4: I've been saying it a long him. I figured it out and style on it occasionally.
Speaker 3: I love it. There is indeed more. The conspiracy is real. If you don't sip the social media, you can call us on a telephonic device of your choice. The number is the following one eight three three std WYTK. You'll hear a voice hopefully familiar. You'll hear a beep like so beep, and then you got three minutes. Those three minutes are yours. Cry havoc, let slip, the dogs of war, etc. Give yourself a pool nickname you always want it. Most importantly, let us know if we can use your name and or message on the air. If none of that quite, back to your badgers. Never fear. There is another way to contact us any old time of the night. It's right.
Speaker 4: You can send us a good old fashioned email where we are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.