Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft Show. I'm your host, Derek Brown, and I'm joined as always by our lead NFL Draft analysts, the man that has never seen an NFL combine prop that he didn't like, Thoor n Ie Striming. On today's show, we're gonna be previewing the NFL Combined, running through some of the most notable players at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, and yes, tight end that could swing their stock the most this week at the combine four. Dude, we got a lot of players to talk about. Man, I'm excited, baby. The combine being here means we are that much closer to the NFL Draft.
Speaker 2: Dude, Welcome to NFL Combine Week. Welcome to We're about to be in raz season. We are draft season now. So yeah, very excited and very excited to chop it up with the today.
Speaker 1: De bro oh baby, ras season to those that celebrate my condolens is a congratulations. But dude, let's will not waste any time here, baby. I mean, look, so we were gonna dive into props and stuff on this show that had been our play for the entirety of it, but as of recording. This recording this early Monday morning. We don't see any combined prop lines as those come out. If they come out, you'll see. Just follow Thor and I on Twitter. We'll be posting a lot of our stuff and maybe some content over Fantasy pros Man. But we've got a ton of players to discuss in the show, Thor, So let's hop right into a man Quarterbacks. We've gotten word that Michael Pennix and a bunch of other quarterbacks. I know you're gonna lay out the list. There guys that are gonna throw at the combine, and some are choosing not to throw at the combine. Pennis being one of the most notable and coming off of what we both agreed was a down Senior Bowl showing, really he needs to nail this and go out improve the evaluation of the arm talent. Thor, But, like, how much do you think this, like Pinnick's throwing at the combine can help his stock.
Speaker 2: I think it does a little bit, justin that's that's his best thing with his evaluation is the arm talent. So it makes all the sense in the world for Michael Pennings to go out there and throw. He's gonna be joined by JJ McCarthy, Bo Nicks, Spencer Rattler confirmed are going to throw at the combine. Caleb Williams, Jade and Daniels have confirmed they will not. Jaden Daniels also is not going to athletically tests. Still waiting for news on Drake may throwing. But as far as Penix makes all the sense in the world, he's going to throw again. That's the best thing on his evaluation, so that's important. But that's the part of it that we know he's going to do well at. I don't have any questions with that. So Leg in my mind, you're not proving anything to me by throwing, because I already know that you can throw and that you have the arm time. The biggest thing for Penix at the combine is something that we don't know the outcome of in advance. That's what are the team medical personnel going to say when they start poking around and looking into his X rays, into his whole medical evaluation. He needs a clean bill of health from those guys, from those different thirty two and people out there need to understand too. It's not one doctor that looks at the kid and then gives the entire NFL as report, each individual medical staff to look at him, and sometimes they have different opinions on what they're seeing whatever, just like an evaluation, you know, like an on field evaluation whatever. But Penix had four consecutive season ending injuries at the beginning of his career at Indiana. Two of them were knee injuries. Obviously he struggles with mobility, different stuff like that needs the clean bill health. Like I said, we'll give him, you know, the benefit of the dart of the context that the last two years of Washington he didn't miss any time with injuries. So that's that's the good news of that. Belot to see what he years back about his medicals.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you real quick before we jump over to the guy who I think is going to blow it out at the combine and really silence a lot of the haters. Do you think we get any of the reps? Because the classic combine rep or at least a lot of the what we see at pro days and stuff is the quarterback rolling out and then throwing on the run. We know that something Michael Penix does. Do you think he does that at the combine or his pro dayth or.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much Penix is going to want to be moving around while he's throwing. Agreed, I think he wants his cleats glued into the turf and just.
Speaker 3: Doing that stuff. That's or he's going to put on the show.
Speaker 2: I think one of the next guys we're going to talk about is more looking to be running around.
Speaker 3: Why he's throwing during these events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I mean, look, we're kind of burying the lead here. I mean, welcome to JJ McCarthy week.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: I mean, look him throwing at the combine. He's probably gonna what I mean, I haven't heard anything that's saying that he's not going to test or so I fully expect him to do all the testing, at least the forty at bare minimum. But this is a guy we both love. People that have tuned into the Quarterback episode, if you haven't listened to that yet, go back and check it out. A lot of JJ love on this podcast, man. But what do you see from him this week? Because I think he's gonna light it up.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 2: I think this is JJ McCarthy week. You know, this is a kid who was not, of course at the Senior ball or any of the other All Star events, So he hasn't been talked about as much as that his process is just starting now. There's a lot of people out there that will speak at debro as you know, will speak on JJ McCarthy's game on social media and some of these different things that appear to have not watched him before, appear to.
Speaker 1: Just being nine. Let's just say they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean they're they're box score scouting.
Speaker 2: And I think this is this is McCarthy's first opportunity to be there on national TV. Of course he's going to be in front of the NFL in the building and all the NFL media everything like that, but this is his first opportunity get on TV in front of some of these NFL fans that did not see his run to the College Football Playoff during the fall and into the early winner in college football because of the latter part.
Speaker 3: Of that season.
Speaker 2: Once he got into the Big Ten schedule October November, get into the Big Ten title game, then the College Football Playoff, that kid's game really started to take off. And he has tools and physical tools, and I think this is what people don't understand well about him that haven't seen him before. He is a really really good athlete, Deebro, You and I think he runs in the four or five just based on his tastes. There has been reports out of Michigan that he has run in the four fours during their offseason training and different stuff like that. The kid also has an incredible arm. One of the weirder nitpicks about him on social media is like, oh, he doesn't have a strong arm. It's like turn on the tape. I don't know what else to say. Not only does he have a super duper strong arm. It carries when he is on the move and running, which for most people it does not, including the accuracy, but he can throw those frozen ropes on the move way downfield, including to the opposite hash different stuff like that. So I think he's going to light it up during the throwing session. I think any athletic test he does, he is going to greatly surprise people. I agree with you, de Bro. He should be running the forty if nothing else. We don't know yet because we haven't heard that side of it. But we also know that JJ McCarthy is going to test incredibly well. Anyone that played with him, anyone that coached him, raves about JJ McCarthy. So this is a big week for JJ McCarthy, and I expect him to blow it up in Indy.
Speaker 1: We both fully agree that we think he's going to run the four vibes. If he goes out and he runs in the four fours for I'm gonna call it right now. Social media is just gonna melt down, like people are gonna go insane. You're gonna see all this kind of backtracking, and it's really like, well we always we've already heard rumors of that, so really nothing's changed for you and me, and for a quarterback that I think depending on where his ADP falls, I think that where he goes and Dynasty rookie drafts is gonna be very interesting. And if you're already trying to get a feel for that, then you have to be using our mock draft simulator over fantasypros dot Com slash simulator. I mean, look, you can run through Dynasty startups, rookie drafts, all these different types of formats, and JJ McCarthy is gonna go in a lot of different places. We're gonna see that ADP move, especially after the combine week.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: But I'm just gonna frame it like this, thor, there is no better setting for a player like Joe Milton than shorts and sleeveless T shirts and running and throwing far and all those types of things that can get people to ooh and ah and all types of stuff. Man. So, like, I think this is gonna be another week like where we see a lot of people hyping up Joe Milton. We know he's gonna test well, we know he can throw the ball eighty freaking yards. Who knows on his knees, on his back maybe like upside down. But this is the type of week that's built for a guy like Joe Milton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joe Milton excels at everything to do with quarterback play when it is not in game conditions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everything but quarterback play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has He has that bazooka arm crazy athlete. He has the prototypical frame six five. I believe it was two forty two that he measured in at the senior book. And the kid is athletic enough where he does standing backflips before the games, not even like you just like get you know, easy whatever. He also hit twenty one point three miles per hour on an eighty one yard run against UTSA. Was not the only run during his college career where he was tracked over twenty miles per hour, So we know he has that too, And then he might enter the NFL with the strongest arm in the NFL. And if you don't want to take my word for it, Bruce Feldman has had him on multiple of his freaklists. In the column that he just put out last week, this is Bruce Feldman sense.
Speaker 3: Bruce Felman not a guy known for hyperbole.
Speaker 2: Pure you know, ink stands Nacho stains on the shirt kind of journalists. The last sentence of his write up on Joe Milton, quote, launching a ball ninety yards might not be out of the question.
Speaker 3: End quote.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, but he could get dang Klaus. He can definitely get it over eighty. So we'll see. Joe Melton will put it on the show. And Indy still don't trust him to do the quarterback stuff.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know either, man. And really, this is one of those types of things that, like all the NFL teams have already watched the film and all these guys. They know the intangibles. So when you hear like, and we're gonna hear it if Joe Milton goes out there and win, he goes out there and he lights it up and he's throwing bullets everywhere. Like, if that's the case, you're gonna hear. Oh, will Joe Milton's rising in the ranks. I I'll just say this, NFL teams already their grades on guys. They've watched all the film and all that kind of stuff. They know how they feel about these quarterbacks and stuff. So you might be hearing that, but I don't think it's true. Like Joe Milton can do a lot of things to help himself in the sense that putting himself and on the radar for teams that are willing to take a shot on him in the middle rounds, but in deep bro.
Speaker 2: Just just to talk about, you know, the on field stuff with Joe Milton, I'm just going to give you three PFF stats for the people out there to give you an idea of what we're talking about. Keep in mind Joe Milton, well, first of all, at the beginning of his career, he was coached by Jim Harbaugh, one of the better coaches that we have as far as obviously JJ McCarthy in this class whatnot. And then the last couple of years, Joe Milton has been playing under Josh Hipel, who has arguably the most quarterback friendly system in entire college football. Yeah, talked about it all last spring with Henry Hooker. He cuts the field and house. You only have to read that generally you are going to your first read. So keep in mind that context when I tell you these stats. These are PFF percentiles. I give you three different ones. Joe Milton add or beyond the stick percentile last year, tenth percentile, Joe Milton third and fourth down percentile, his efficiency in those downs ninth percentile, that's when the defense knew what was coming when he was throwing. And then last one, positively graded throw percentile last year Joe Milton with his golden right arm tenth percentile.
Speaker 1: Hey, I mean, look, if you've ever turned on the film and you looked at the stats for Joe Milton, none of those stats surprise me. It's still painful to hear. But again, we think Joe Milton's gonna go out and light it up. At the combine help his stock in that way. But moving over to running backs, man, we got to talk about one of the I'm not gonna say he's the most polarizing guy, but a guy at the NFL combine that needs to go has to go out there and test really well. Bucky Irving man five ten, one ninety five. The questions, I mean, the production is there, man, you can pull up all the tackle breaking metrics. He's near the top of the board. Yards are to contact per attempt PFF, rush and grade, all these different types of things. The film is good for Bucky Irving. But what we're gonna hear in the process is he's five to ten, he's one ninety five. Can he be a feature back? Can he be a three down back? Can he hold up to the workload and the things that can help him with as far as his evaluation in his NFL draft stock, he has to go out and test well. Now I've seen stuff and correct me if I'm wrong, thor I've seen stuff out there saying Bucky Irving's been running the four fours, mid four fours. I think he has to at least run in the four fives, and I think he can do that. If he gets in the four fours, that can dramatic and test well in the short area agility. I think that can answer some of the questions because when you're not two twenty two thirty, you're not six foot tall things like that, You're not the prototypical size of a three down back in the NFL. You're a little bit more slight. You gotta test well, man, you gotta show that at that side you were explosive. Do you see Bucky Irvy doing that this week?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean in terms of the agility, I think he tests very very well. He's obviously a very slippery and elusive runner, as everyone knows. That's what leads all the broken tackles, not because he's a hammerback. The speed thing is where it gets interesting with him, and I agree with the way you set that up.
Speaker 3: Deepro of there are.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll see, we'll see if they end up being optimistic reports or not. But we have seen some of those reports of in the mid four fours. I think that's what he needs to get to to improve the stock a little bit. I think if he the holding serve kind of mark for Bucky Irving in the forty, in my opinion, is low four fives. When the the NFL scouting Service over the summer, what they send out, they had Irving between four or five flat and four five five. I think if you get over four or five five, I think that is the danger zone for Bucky Irving. If he ends up running in the high four fives, that's where people are start going to be start to say, bro, you're five to nine, you're one hundred and ninety pounds, soaking wet, and you lack the high end speed. We like the other stuff. We like the receiving utility. I think it was eighty five catches over the last two years. He can obviously break tackles, everything like that, but yeah, he needs to show at this speed. He is going to show the agility, but we need to see a little bit of speed out of him.
Speaker 1: If he runs now that this is the danger zone. This is the absolute just panic button. And you'll hear the comparisons if he does not test well if he runs in the four sixes. I'm just giving the range of outcomes. Again we talked about. I think Bucky Irving runs in the four fives. I hope for his stake he gets in the four fours, if he runs in the four sixes, I'm just throwing it out there right now, for we're gonna hear the Kien Williams type of talk considering his size, considering what he showed in college and the skill set and stuff. Tell me we're not going to hear those types of narratives if he is. If he does run a four to six.
Speaker 2: Yes, although I will say probably a little bit better of her receiver, but not nearly as good as a pass blocker. Kyra and Williams are being at his size, we'll go in there and scrap he had a good base whatever. Bucky Irving is a complete turnstyle, but you're sending him out as a receiver every time I'm passing down to.
Speaker 1: Oh, agreed, man and a guy switching this over from a guy that we have questions about, like not questions about. We think he's gonna test okay, but he has to prove those parts of evaluation. This guy is a black box prospect at this point. Thor. We didn't get a chance to see him at senior ball. He was rehabbing from stuff. Apparently he's gonna blow it out from everything we've heard on the back end this week, and I'm ready for the coming out party of Jalen Wright. Man. How fast do you think he runs this week? And how much can he help his stock? Because I've already got a third round grade on him. I think that's where he goes.
Speaker 2: So we've heard from you know, different things. He was the number twenty four Felman freaklisser twenty twenty two. Uh shure, he's about let's see. The last measurements we had on him was a five to eleven to fifteen ish like somewhere in there to ten. So I'm very curious to see where he ends up playing in as well. But on the field twenty three point six miles per hour in practice, he has regularly gone over twenty miles per hour on the field on different runs. There's reports and this is a Feldman report of a forty four inch vertical in the past a ten eight jump lord and Feldman reported in high school he ran a handtime four to eight. Here's the thing that I can report. The thing that I have been hearing is out of the Florida facility that Jalen Wright has been training at. His forty yard dashtimes in pre combined training have been eerily similar to what Jamier Gibbs ran the year before at the exact same facility, and that stuff that is happening in the weeks leading up to the NFL comeint. And also that he's regularly been jumping over the forty inches, which is no surprise because Feldman had him at forty four a year or two ago, and what that might have been the highest he has ever jumped. So we'll end up seeing, you know, with the small sample variants of you just get a couple of jumps or whatever. But he is definitely jumping over forty inches and I think he is gonna be running in the four threes. I don't think I'm going out in any sort of a limb with that. Jalen Wright is going to be the star at the running back position.
Speaker 1: I adamantly agree. And if you just turn on the film for Jalen Wright, like you see the burst, you see the juice, and so expecting him to test well should not surprise anybody. Man. And just to compare this, yes, Jamiir Gibbs went out and ran a four to three six. His ten yard split was in the eighty third percentile. At one point five to two. I think Jalen Wright can hit both of those numbers. And that might sound hyperbolic. If you think it's hyperbolic, turn on his tape. Tell me that man does not look like he's shot out of a freaking cannon every time he gets the dang ball. So I'm excited man again, Like we're talking about JJ McCarthy is really gonna make himself some keish some money this week, I think Jalen Wright's gonna do the same freaking thing man. And for another guy that I don't know if he's gonna be cashing checks, but he can at least prove the parts of his evaluation that we need to see oldric estimate Man five eleven two twenty seven powerback. If you look up all the different tackle breaking stuff eighth in yards of the contact per attempt, fifteenth and elucirating, how do you see him testing? And I'm gonna also add this on top of your thor tell me how much does he need to show in any of the receiving drills if he does them, Because this is still a guy that, look, we know what he can do on early downs, but as a guy that has never had more than seventeen targets in any season in college one point one yards per route run. I think one of the things not only from his testing, but he needs to do the receiving drills and show well in those to sit here and help his draft stock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's well said.
Speaker 2: You know, some of these these running backs, they happen to get into systems where they feature them as wider or as receivers. Right, they let him do cool stuff like that, and then some guys, excuse me, some guys they they go into systems where they're not used as a receiver.
Speaker 3: Whatever. We talked about this with Marshawn Lloyd.
Speaker 2: Is Ja Davis talk to us about this about his experience south to go to State. Kamani Vidala talked about this at Troy. Like these systems that we were in, they just didn't feature us as much as a receiver. It's more or less the same thing for Odrick Estime. You're right about his receiving totals. Although I will say I'm pretty sure that adriich Aster may never drop the ball in college, so that the targets that he did get, he brought all them in. He does have the soft hands. We haven't seen him doing the cool stuff with the route running, you know, it's been a lot of the dumpoffs whatnot, But he is.
Speaker 3: Reliable with that.
Speaker 2: I think showing a little bit of chops as far as running some sort of routes, showing some fluidness with that would help. We already know that he has the good hands. As far as the on field drills go, the testing is super important for estimate to it. As you were talking about, he's that jacked up power back and for his size.
Speaker 3: I like his feet enough.
Speaker 2: Certainly not joystick agility, but he has light feet for his size. You mentioned the tackle breaking, he drops the shoulders. He has really good balance too. You'll see him take these shots and then he's immediately sort of centers himself. It might take him just like one movement to get you know, back to center, and then he squares himself back up and he's chugging him field again. Like I said, better receiver than I think he gets credit for. But we'll have to see as far as the route running aspect of that. But is he a good enough, good enough athlete to be an NFL starter? I mean that's the thing that the testing is going to help us to determine average acceleration, average speed. I probably would have said below average speed outside of a couple occurrences this year where he put that into doubt. The big one was in September he had an eighty yard touchdown run against NC State where he got up to twenty point nine miles per hour on that run. Estimate actually ran away from two defensive backs. That's something that we had not seen on his film before that. Yeah, I mean he you know, prior to that and even since then, very few forty plus yard runs against FBS competition. He did have a couple though in the latter part of the season, and like I said, that eighty yard one where I mean twenty one miles per hour.
Speaker 3: Is no joke.
Speaker 2: If he can get, all Estimate needs to do is what would you say, de bro high four fives.
Speaker 1: Four fives anywhere in the four five Yeah, meant for the guys check the box. Yeah, And that's really all that he needs to do. I saw Lance zier Line, who just dropped his his different reports in advance of the combine comp estimate to Jamal Williams that one's perfect lance.
Speaker 3: If you're listening I'm going to steal that comp that's a really.
Speaker 1: Good and And to your point, Thor, I had to go look this up, man, I mean estimate. I haven't dove all the way deep into his film yet and stuff, but good lord, twenty six collegiate targets, twenty six collegiate receptions hit the nail on the head man. And to your point, I think especially with the short area, not only the long speed, but like it shows up in his numbers too, Man, as a guy that until last season we never saw him crest to thirty six percent breakaway run rate. I mean he got in the he got was forty four point one percent in his final year at Notre Dame. So again, like you want to see that kind of stuff, guy's trending up, not trending down, but the numbers. It shows up in the numbers, the long speed or maybe some of the questions about that. But another guy that's gonna have to answer questions here, man, Blake Koram. We know the pedigree, we know coming from Michigan, a guy that was really on the rise, and then twenty twenty three, his counting sets are fine. You can talk about the touchdowns and going to Michigan and all those different types of things that you want to but we cannot get away from Blake Korum what we also saw on the efficiency side, or and I think he needs to go out and prove that he's all the way back from the knee injury, because the numbers are very concerning. If you look at just his yards of the contact per attempt, this is a guy that went from three point three to five, which is a passable number in twenty twenty three to two point four to two and or excuse me, twenty twenty two, and in twenty twenty three he went to two point four to two. His breakaway run rate fell off the table. Man, a guy who in his first two years was consistently in the forty percent range dropped all the way to thirty one point eight percent. And considering his standing at five eight two thirteen, I really think Blake Koram has to go out and test, well, what would that look like? And do you see Korum doing that this week?
Speaker 2: For Yeah, he has a guy where there's a couple of different traits about him that you love. I happened to running backs with that Bill. I just loved the bowling ball types.
Speaker 1: Short, squady and powerful baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really like that. And then Korum.
Speaker 2: You know, in that package what he gives you, it's the really good agility, you know, including out in the second level, he'll start to slalom, go across the field, different stuff like that cut back.
Speaker 3: He just makes people miss so well.
Speaker 2: And like I said, in conjunction with that vision, it's it's really cool. The two questions that he needs to answer in Indianapolis the speed question, what is he going to run? In the forty there was very limited explosive runs, and you know, you were sort of setting that up. And then the durability thing, you know, and you were mentioning that as well. Well, we'll see what the doctors end up saying. But he had that ACL injury in twenty twenty two. I think that that helps to explain some of the slow start stuff in twenty twenty three. Didn't totally look like himself till about the middle of the season on then you started to see vintage Blake Koram. That was, you know, as we got into the Big Ten schedule and then into that college football playoff run. Obviously, he capped the season in the fifteenth game against Washington by absolutely dominating them in the National title. We have to give the context to Washington's run defense was a train wreck all season. But Blake Korum, he has seven hundred and thirty one touches in college. He's gotten a lot of usage. You know, we hear this talking point a lot when people are talking about JJ McCarthy. Oh, but they had the dominant run game. They have Blake Corum and blah blah blah. Corm obviously ran behind a really good offensive lining college or everything set up well for him.
Speaker 3: He also wasn't used a ton as a receiver.
Speaker 2: Of this another guy where the system wasn't using him that much as far as that goes. So the other thing, the third one that I would mention with him is in the on field drills seeing him run around catching those passes. What can you show with that. He's another guy who although he was used sort of sparingly down the stretch this past season during that title run, I liked what I saw of him in some limited sample size receiving looks certainly as far as the outlet guy, the soft hands, and then you get the thing where he becomes dangerous in the open field. Because of the vision thing, because of the agility thing, and he has enough power to break those arm tackles. Just need to prove the speed, the durability, stuff like that. As far as the speed goes. Korm did get up to twenty one point one miles per hour on a run last year, got over twenty miles per hour on a couple others. That's kind of where we're sitting in. The speed just slightly higher than estimate in terms of what we've seen with the on field tracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just on his numbers one more time and going back to singularly, just looking at certain games just to talk about how concerning last year was from an efficiency standpoint, and I think kind of like puts a bow on this as far as he needs to prove that he's all the way back. It was bad, dude, Like he only had two games where he crossed three point two singular games where he crossed three point zero yards oft to contact per attempt. He had nine games last year or nine where he broke two or fewer tackles he legit had looking here on his ledger, he had two games where he broke no tackles at all and three other games where he only forced one misstackle. So really he's got to come out and prove that he is all the way back man, and for that type of archetype for running back, especially again we're talking about the size. He needs to go out and test well in every facet, improve the health. But with the times, man. So if you want to build teams that have guys like Blake Korm, they're short, squatty pots, be powerful, can take over the workhorse role. Man, you got ahead of Reality Sports online dot Com. By now I know you most of you've already heard of Reality Sports Online, the most powerful fantasy sports platform. More owners get to build and manage their fantasy teams like an NFL general manager. But the question is have you tried it yet? It's time to go see what all the buzz in the dynasty community is about. Free agency, multi year contracts, a rookie draft, multi team trades, franchise tags, contracts, extensions, first round rookie options, automated contract and salary cap functionality, and so much more. You think it sounds complicated, it's really not. The best thing about Reality Sports Online is the fantasy front office is that it doesn't take any more time in a standard league. It just requires more strategy. You think you're among the fantasy elite, well, this is the platform to test your metal. Still not sure? You can head to test out your general manager skills for free in a mock free agency auction right now. If you like what you see, use the promo code of Fantasy Pros receive a tenth discount on your team or your league today. That's the promo code. Fantasy Pros receive a ten percent discount on your team or league today. Fantasy just got real reality reality sports online dot com Thor talking about some real things that need to happen at the Combine. Baby, we have got to see a really fantastic showing for Keon Coleman. We have talked about him as far as on the Polarizing Players episode. We're gonna discuss him in future on our Wide Receiver episodes. But for a guy that if you just look at his profile, you look at the counting SATs, whatever you want to look at for Kean Coleman, it's all pretty divisive.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: It's a wide range of things. You can either fall in love with him if you look at certain aspects, or it could be kind of like me and fade him. What do we need to see out of Keon Coleman this week for him to really help himself, because I think his draft stock's gonna float between the first round and the second round. What does he need to do to try to insulate himself to stay in that first round? Conversation?
Speaker 2: He's a test well enough in the speed in the agility drills.
Speaker 3: What does that look like would be would be the sharp version of that?
Speaker 1: What does his forty need to be this week?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Because you and I I have got to going back and forth on this. I think there's a possibility he could run in the four sixes. I think he's probably more likely a four or five guy, And and his vert is really freaking good considered. I mean it shows up on his tape. Man, But what do you see him testing as Do you think he runs a four or five or six? Do you think his vert's good or what?
Speaker 3: The vert's going to be incredible?
Speaker 2: That that's the one thing where we know that the speed, you know, that's more you're curious about that because the boss scales downfield are really good. He can jump out of the gym and different stuff like that. But it's can he get downtown on NFL cornerbacks that that's one thing he has to prove. I do think he's going to run right around four or five flat, you know. I think I think he's a bit faster than you. And it wouldn't stun me if it was the high high four fours or like to me, it's going to be somewhere. If I had to guess, I would guess somewhere between four four eight and four five two. That would be the range that I'm in. Like I said, the jumping speaks for itself. I expect that the acceleration to be decent, you know, as far as the ten yard split stuff like that. But I need him to prove that though, because there is questions about that. And then the big one too, is he going to do the agility drills or is he gonna duck him? If he does the agility drills, how will those be. We've seen receivers like this that have the similar skill set where there's big questions about the agility profile flat skip them. We've seen other ones where they do them and then they fall in their face. DK Metcalf, I'm looking at you, but yeah, I mean, Coleman has the size, the prototypical size, and the really really good hands, and he's showing that he can do stuff in contested situations as well. Like I said, the jump out guy downfield former basketball players speaking of the jumping not only that was really good. In high school, he played for Tom Izzo at Michigan State, and Tom Iso obviously is one of the great college basketball collegere of all time. And then you know, of course, like he was going two ways in Michigan State just for a little bet. Then he you know, decided to focus on football. Of course, Then he transfers to Florida State last spring, and then this year we had that weird season where more than thirty balls that were throwing at him were charted as not catchaball. He typically caught the stuff that was in his sort of vicinity whatever. But yeah, I think what's gonna happen with the agilities and then exactly where it is that is he closer to the speed that I think he is or is he the closer at speed that you think he is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I could see him possibly getting in the in the four fives. If it is, I think he barely ekes by and I think he gets into like the high four fives. I think he's more likely a four to six guy. But here's the thing, if there's any questions about that, like if he's been testing and his agents all, then you know what he's running. So for me, like, if i'm his agent, I'm saying, okay, if he's running in the four six, he's not running the forty. If he can go out there and get in the four fives. And this is only like, because we're only counting your best attempt. So if he goes out there and he runs a four to six, four to six one, a four or five eight, then fine, then he let him run. Let him run the forty if he gets into the four fives. If I'm Kean Coleman, I'm running the forty, I'm doing the vert and I'm out like, I'm not doing the short area. I'm not doing any of that other crap. I want people to sit here and say, I'm gonna go back to my tape. I'll show you on my tape that I'm that I'm agile enough, especially if he's not gonna test well in those parts. But moving over to a guy that we think kind of probably tests out the freaking Jim Thor and this is a guy that's the size of a damn Jim. Johnny Wilson, Baby, I mean, look, we we gushed about him going into Senior Bowl. He whether and we never got reports on that. We're hoping that he does test because if he did leave Senior Bowl and mobile with any type of injury, maybe he doesn't test, but we're gonna operate under the assumption that he does. This week. I've seen reports that he's running the four fives before Thor. If he does that at his size, oh baby, I'm here for the Johnny Wilson hype machine because if you look at his analytic profile, man, it's pretty We've seen what he could do on the field, man, I want him to go out there and show people. Do you think he does that? And where do you think his athletic testing comes down? I mean, forty vert all those types of things.
Speaker 3: I think he needs to run in the four fives.
Speaker 2: And the reason I think that is because Johnny Wilson is adamant that he is going to play boundary receiver in the NFL that he wants that opportunity. He did not want to test or I'm sorry. He did not want to practice as the big slot tight end fella when we were down at the Senior ball. He wants to be the the outside guy. And after the last two days or the first i'm sorry, after the first two days of practice down in Mobile, he felt he had done enough and he pulled out of the last day down there. He obviously that's what he wants to be. Johnny Wilson's agility is not going to be very good. In fact, I would expect that he wouldn't do it the agility drills that following Butler's footsteps and and and skip those whatever because.
Speaker 1: Of Kean Coleman. Coleman's footsteps.
Speaker 3: For the ke On Coleman's gonna be faster than that.
Speaker 2: You know, with all those things in mind, he needs to test decently fast at mid mid four or fives I think is right around where he needs to be. Just because of that, he needs to show that he has that special sauce of the ridiculous size to catch radius and then that north south stuff. We know that the jumping is there and the explosion, so the split should be pretty good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He had a he has a reported vertical jump with thirty five and a half inches, a broad jump of ten to five and then his highest game speed that we have on the tracking twenty one point two miles per hour. So that's what we need to see. The agility. I would if I was his agent, I would tell him not to do it. But that's that would just be me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I I adamantly agree. Man. It's it's these types of forums. It's how can you help yourself and the things that are going to hurt you? Then what that's the point? Why are we doing that? And that's what always kind of floors me. It's like we see, guys, I'm looking at you Kishan Boute, which like you know you're not gonna test well, you know you've been out there and like the hand times or whatever, like whatever you're getting tracked as, then why are you gonna show NFL teams that you are slow? Like just say like, oh, well I'm not gonna test, or I'll do it to my pro day or ooh ooh problematic, Hammi just just flared up. Can't run today? Oops? Sorry, Like why would you even worry about that? Man? But from guys that we're worried about the testing, a guy that we think tests well and can prove that last year's stats were not a fluke baby five eight one ninety four. Malik Washington. If you just look at the counting stats last year, thor they're amazing. Man went from Northwestern, transferred to Virginia, finished the season with one hundred and eleven grabs, second in PFF re seeming grade and eleventh in yards per route run. Like I mean, his ledgen it just littered with awesome numbers. Man, But what do you see autam Maleak Washington this week? And where if he goes out and they test swell, where could you see him going in the NFL draft? I could see him getting up to the third round. Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: I think there's a big band of outcomes here.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean that's by definition, it makes him his week coming up very important for him. He's a guy who earlier in his college career, I mean we didn't talk about him and all he was at Northwestern, he was a little bit of an afterthought. And then he started to jump onto the scene a little bit. And then when he gets to Virginia, especially this last season, you know, goes absolutely nuclear. That was what you know, fourteen hundred plus yards and the nine touchdowns. Hundred was at eleven receptions last year, but a lot of them came near the line of scrimmage. Now, this is not necessarily his fault, you know. It's not a Malachi Corley thing where he had years and years and years to do it, but he still couldn't develop the rout tree whatever. With Virginia this past season and their offense, it was they had to manufacture short touches to Malik Washington to move the ball whatsoever. They had zero running backs their quarterback situation, they had an uninspiring FCS veteran that got injured immediately as Tony musket Kid. Then they had to put in a true freshman Calandria, who I mean at this point was not ready to play, so they had to do this short stuff. He couldn't sit back there in the pocket, read the whole field whatever. Malik Washington was their only source of offense, So this was more utilitarian as far as it goes with the Virginia offense as a whole, than he can't do the other stuff. So the other stuff is what you're sort of thinking about for his NFL projection. We know he can catch the ball short, create a little separation to open up that window right after the snap whatever, and then we know that he can run with the ball afterwards because he's I mean, you can think about him like sort of like a quarterly in this regard that he sort of has the build of a running back and he runs.
Speaker 3: With that sort of power. I like his agility.
Speaker 2: The big question with him, it's the speed thing, and that not only goes with the athletic profile, it goes with the idea of could this guy win intermediate and down the field. I mean, it's a big question with him. If he comes in at his size and runs in the high four fives or even the low fourth sixes, I think that's where an enormous shadow of doubt has been put over his evaluation. And then you can start to do the thing of well, I know he had a bunch of catches last year, but he was the only guy they were throwing to him every single time, and it was all these manufacturer touches. However, if he tests, if he runs faster than that, let's say he's high four fours or low four fives, you already know he has the agility like I said, I think he's going to test well as far as that goes. Now you can start to go the other way and that area of doubt that is on his evaluation, you can give him the benefit of the doubt on that because of the situation he's in, and also say the athletic testing profile suggests he could be able to win down the field too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just a draw. This is not a direct comparison, but we're talking about a guy around a similar size, and I don't think that Molie gets this type of raft capital. But just to put a button on this, Zay Flowers last year five nine went out and ran a four to four Malik. I'm not saying he needs to get in the four fours, but he needs to run like in the mid to low four fives and then test. If he doesn't get into four fours. If he runs in the four fives, he needs to blow out the short area agility or just not do it, because that that that's if you're not going to blow it out, I would ready you just not test and not continue to kind of like hurt your draft stock in that way. But you know, I think he does go out and he tests well for Or, but we'll see man moving over to tight ends and these next three guys we're gonna bring up. I mean, really we should just talk about this is This is the battle Royale, the fight to the death for the tight end four, maybe the tight end three in this class, and these three guys are gonna be duking it out. Man. Let's kick this off with Eric Hall, a guy that look going from Michigan to Iowa, six foot five, two fifty. He has the size, he has the numbers on the on the page sixteenth and PFF receiving grade thirty yards per route run. How do you think he tests? Because I'm gonna throw this at you, Thor I went, I went way down the rabbit hole, dude. I found his numbers from one of the Nike camps in twenty eighteen. Now, he did measure in at six four two fourteen, So a lot of adjusting as far as like, he's gained a lot of weight his size, and yes he's been in a collegiate strength and conditioning program. But he ran a four nine five forty and he had a four point two twenty yard shuttle and a thirty four and a half vertical jump. Do you see eric Hal blowing those numbers out or is he gonna have a problem testing? Where do you see his week coming down at this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, eric Al, we have to see if he can even test.
Speaker 2: The kid tore his ACL in October, so I would sort of doubt it for this event. What we'll have to see at the pro day, But it might be a wash as far as the test goo, which I it's good news for teams that potentially see him like I do as far as a sleeper that he's not going to get the opportunity to answer some of those questions if in fact it turns out that he cannot because of it.
Speaker 3: But you have two things going on here.
Speaker 2: It's number one, the whole medical rap sheet. He also had a season ending back injury in twenty twenty two. That was when he was at Michigan. He joined Kate McNamara transferring over to Iowa last season look good. At the beginning of the season, before he had that ACL tear in October, I thought he was going to go back to Iowa and at the very last minute he decided to jump into the draft.
Speaker 3: On tape.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons I see him as a sleeper in this tight end class is because he definitely has the size and he definitely can play both in line. You can bring him out to the slot. He has the receiving skill, the receiving chops he also on tape. In my view of it, shows the speed and shows the athleticism. I think there's an efficiency in his route running, doesn't waste movement efficiency into and out of those outbreaks. Certainly has the speed to threat in the scene. We've seen this over the last couple of years when he has been able to be on the field not a maler of a blocker, but knows what he's doing, gets after it, uses his length and then tries to play the angles whatever. As far as the receiving goes, like I said, you see the skill with him. That The only thing with the on field thing as far as the tape goes, is just want to see a bit more consistency there where. Sometimes he'll make the really really awesome catches, like you saw him dig some balls out at the ground right before they were about to hit there. You'll see him spear the ball outside of his frame to go up and get it. Different stuff like that. You'll also see the occasional bad concentration drop going the other way, So just need to clean some of that stuff up. I think staying on the field consistency, consistently will help him out with that. Obviously was injured the last couple of years, but I think he's a better athlete.
Speaker 3: Than those high school numbers suggests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to throw that out there, and yes, do do we all agree that being in a collegiate strength program and conditioning and these kids growing and stuff like that over the next like two to three years, nine times out of ten, do they come out stronger, faster. Yes, But we have to mention it here, man, since we're talking about the testing and whether he's able to or not, or if some of them get shoved to his pro day, maybe he doesn't test. If that's the case, maybe he could be of value for some team that looks at the film and says, you know what, we believe this guy, whether it's Miles prow or whether whatever tracking data you want to pull up or just yeerly for the numbers, we believe this guy can play and we can get him at a value because if he doesn't test, over to a guy that again has the prototypical size. Jared Wiley six foot six, two fifty three. This guy has put up some pretty good numbers. Or I mean, if you look at yards poer out run versus man coverage, you look at PFF receiving grades like last year nineteenth and yards poer out run, how do you see Wiley testing Because there's some numbers out there, like he's run a four to eight forty, which really puts him on the fringe. Man, do you think he's gonna be faster than that? And how do you see his testing week penning out.
Speaker 3: He needs to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some of those numbers painting him from the more optimistic sided things. The other way is this kid's a mediocre blocker. That's being generous. And then last year's second lowest A DOT of the entire tight end group had only two contested catches despite that enormous size, the enormous frame, and he broke only three tackles.
Speaker 3: If you're getting the low aid DOT and you have that kind.
Speaker 2: Of size, you'd expect that that would facilitate some broken tackle opportunities.
Speaker 3: But he didn't get that either. Jared Wiley.
Speaker 2: The NFS in the offseason, what they sent out to the NFL from his testing was four eight flat to four eight five. He really needs to run minimum four to sevens or he is in trouble because the rest of this profile does not play. You and I were not super duper impressed with him down in mobile. He does have this soft hand short but the problem is he doesn't separate at all, So that's why it has to be the short area stuff for him. But then when he gets the ball, he doesn't break any tackles. So it's like, if he's not going to give you the blocking and all he can do is manufactured short touches, it's just not something that the NFL will value. But so he needs to test better than maybe his anticipator right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're running. I could pretty much say from a fantasy perspective, if you run in the four eights, it's a coffin nail for your fantasy production. The guys that are produced in the NFL running four eights, you can name them literally. On one hand, Isaiah likely as one of those guys. Now what his career turns out to be, we'll see, but likely.
Speaker 2: Could change directions and certainly had way better ball skills, so he could win down the field a little bit. My other concern with Wiley is he changes directions like the Suiz Canal tugboat. Like, so you have both the lack of speeding in the lack of changing direction. It's like, yeah, I like that you have soft hands in you're big, but like, how is this going to translate to the NFL?
Speaker 3: If you can't separate, you can't run away from anyone.
Speaker 1: No, it's true, man, And like I said, like the names of the guys over the last like ten to fifteen years that have really been a fantasy. And I'm not gonna say just even consistent guys that have run the four to eight. It's not a lot of guys man, Like we're talking about Heath Miller, Kyle Rudolph, Isaiah Likely it's a very short list. Then it's not a pretty list, man. But speaking of short, a guy that measured in unfortunately quite short from where he was listed at in college, Jeen Bell, He's got to go out and just blow up the combine thor because for everybody out there, and this is not if you go to multiple stat pages, you go to everywhere you want to look at all of his numbers, his statistical stuff box scores everywhere.
Speaker 5: Everywhere still has Geen Bell listed at six ' three. Baby, he's not that tall thor we saw Atimmobile he measured in at six one two forty four.
Speaker 1: And if you don't think that's concerning, pull up the list of names, go google it. Pull up the list of names of tight ends that have been successful in the NFL playing at six ' one. When you get sixty three sixty four, that name gets that list gets extremely short. You get to six' one and it's basically nonexistent. So Jaheim Bell, again, we're talking about guys that didn't really show us a lot iMobile, Like I don't think anybody's walking away from Mobile and Senior Bowl and saying, jahem Bell really won the week. He crushed it, especially at this size. What does he have to do at the combine in his testing, because we've seen reports of him running a four to five in high school. He supposedly jumped the thirty seven and a half vert. Even if he puts up those types of numbers, can that really help him for because I'm worried about him, like measuring in two inches shorter than you're listed is huge.
Speaker 2: It's not only gonna help him, his testing is going to make or break him. This profile requires a really good testing profile for evaluators to be able to believe that it will play at the next level. You're trying to decide is this guy a quadruple a tweener or or is he an NFL moved piece weapon And the testing is what is going to move you on that. On film, you saw all kinds of different stuff right like both at South Carolina and then in Florida State. He has won on the boundary before. Our friend Brett Whitefield posted a clip of him torching Kamari Lassiter that projected top fifty pick when Bell was on the outside ended up having a forty five yard catch. As a boundary receiver. We have seen him in the slot, we have seen him line up in the backfield, We've seen him in line We even saw him in twenty twenty two. At the end of the season. South Carolina had this biblical plague of running back injuries where they didn't have any scholarship healthy running backs on the roster left by November, so they were like, oh, well, let's just move Jaheem to running back for a couple games. Then Jahem's running for over one hundred yards sight unseen as the running back, So he does.
Speaker 3: A lot of that different stuff.
Speaker 2: I like the yak as a receiver, and I like at times when he was the feature dude what he produced. You go back to twenty twenty one, Jahim Bell had the highest yards per route run season by a Power five tight end since twenty fifteen. That was three point sixty seven. Brock Bauers had three point zero one in twenty twenty two and last season twenty twenty three two point six five that finished fourth and sixth on that list.
Speaker 3: Number two on that list to Jaheen Bell's.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty one was Kyle Pitts in twenty twenty his last season three point two six four tenths of a yard lower point four to five point four to one lower.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, so.
Speaker 2: Jahem bel significantly higher when used as a receiver that season. Like I said, the next season, they were moving them all over, including at running back. Then this past season in Florida State, they had all these different weapons, so he was never the feature dude. They had Johnny Wilson, who we just talked about, Keon Coleman and we talked about earlier in the episode.
Speaker 3: Obviously Trey Benson, then Jordan Travis.
Speaker 2: He had to be used plenty as a runner as well, you know, doing stuff with him while he was healthy whatnot. So Jahem Belk became the sort of ancillary guy whereas trying to use his entire skill set, Like at points earlier in his career at telth Carolina, he was just the turn sary ancillary type guy on that Florida State team. Maybe didn't use all of his skill set stuff like that. But like I said, there's things about him I like. I like the north South thing. I like the skill he's showing at all these different deployments, different stuff like that, And I think he'll test well. I want to as far as the north South speed, but he needs to prove that to me. And then also I would like to see the agility. I would like see the jumps as well for him to prove that as well. If he puts forward a really good athletic profile, let's say eightieth percentile raz are above, I think that's when you can start to dream on him as this move piece around your offense whatnot.
Speaker 3: Team like the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I think would love a kid like this where you can line him up anywhere, he can do any different thing if he tests well enough. If he doesn't, that's when he's going to be looked at as that quadrupleit tweener.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if he's a tweener, and because we're talking about the size and stuff, and if he doesn't test like a Marvel superhero, then you're talking about a guy that could go if he proves that he is an uber ridiculous athlete round fourth round. If he doesn't prove that at his size, you're talking about round five, round six, maybe falls out of the NFL draft. Because here's the thing, what's the role for him? If he's not as athletic as he needs to be to win at six one to forty like, then where you're you're casting him into what he's basically just a part time rotational role. It's like, okay, but then he's Mike Giseki without the upper receiving chops.
Speaker 3: He's he's more more like Mikekaseki could eat Jim Bell. It's more like Kylin.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair. And that's that's where I come down, It's like, what would his role be on a team? He's gonna be an only receiving tight end that's not really big enough to play that role, So does he move to wide receiver? Like what would that look like? But you're talking about a guy that goes from third fourth round draft stock to fifth sixth round priority UDFA, and it sounds that sounds harsh, But that big discrepancy in size makes you not just an outlier. It makes you maybe this just doesn't even happen. And again, when we went to mobile Thor, like I was telling you, I was like looking at Jahim Bell and you rattled off of his analytical profile like it's really freaking impressive as a guy that over the last three years every single season has been top twelve amongst tight ends and yactpro reception and miss tackles forced. So like, the numbers are there, but he has got to back it up with the testing, dude. So I'm excited for all these guys in Combine week with JJ's gonna go out and blow it up. Jalen Wright's gonna blow it up, man, So everybody needs to stay tuned and look Thorn and I are gonna be back next week. We're gonna have a treat for you. Next week, we're gonna be recapping the combine. You need to get subscribed to the Fantasy Pros YouTube channel. We are gonna be joined by special guest friend of the show, Pat Fitzmorris. It's gonna be a good time, baby. That's all Thorn and I got for you this week. We're out of here.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football podcast the show. The best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros.