Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody, It's j n V. Jesse Larius Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, journalist Michael Harriet and author.
Speaker 3: Welcome brother, Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Medical commentator, a little bit of everything, Yeah, a little bit of everything on there on his belt. Native of South Carolina, of course. Of course he's got a phenomenal book out man called a Black af History, The Unwhitewashed Story of America. I started reading it over the holidays when I was on vacation, and it's one of those books that I've gotten a lot through it, but you keep going back because you're gonna have your highlighter. Yeah, you know what I'm saying constantly going through it. Tell her first of all, telling them what the book is about.
Speaker 4: The book is a look at America through black people's eyes. So we've seen books about black people through black people's eyes, and history books about America through white through the white lens. But this is about America through black people's eyes. And it's funny, uh, you know, because I talk to people talk. I wrote the book like how we talk to each other. So you know, we could be at a funeral and we're like, oh God, I can't believe she what that had so and so, you know, it uses humor, it uses the way we talk to each other, and it shows and it pulls no punches and unwhitewashes the mythology that we always been taught to believe since we got into social studies class.
Speaker 1: You know, I've always followed you on social media teen writing on the grill, and of course you're very funny, but when you read the book, you realize, damn you had to go through a lot of trauma to get that sense of humor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, yeah, I mean I think I think that's how we all got our sense of humor, right, Like it's a it's a coping mechanism in a way, man, And that's how a lot of why black people, you know, we relate to each other like that, because we deal with trauma in those ways. And it's always been like that, I mean, since like, you know, that's kind of how we created Charlie Kase was the first stand up comedian and I write about it in the book, and his creating a stand up comedy was an effort to like get close to his father, who.
Speaker 3: Was an albino man, an albino.
Speaker 4: Black man, and he was a mixed He was a mixed race, and his mom erase told him that you got to live his white and he his hero was his father. So that was a way to get close to his father because his father was a performer, and he invented stand up comedy to kind of connect himself to his community after he was removed from it.
Speaker 1: Such an interesting concept, right, because like when you think about black people in America, you know, certain people Jewish people have been able to assimilate by being able to change their last name. To read the story about the albino man who was able to assimilate, I'm like, why that's it's an act of survival, Like why wouldn't you in that day and age?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that's what I talk a lot about that in the book, because we like when we talk about, for instance, slave revoltes, we always like to talk about like how black people grab machetes and burned out plantation. But there were other ways of survival, like I called the chapter is called survival and resistance. So a lot of what we did was just for survival, right, Like like, for instance, slowing down your work. You might be mad at that slave on it, but you know what's gonna happen if you don't work, So you might just slow down. You might just run away for a few days, knowing you're gonna get caught. But like it was like what we would call it self care now, Like I know I'm going to get caught, but I'm going to die if I stay on this plantation one more date in a row. And so that notion of survival is a lot on how we deal with trauma.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of times when I see like black people assimilating into like what we call popular culture or like that conservative mindset, I know, like some of some of the time it's a way of survival. Now other times you see people buy all into it.
Speaker 3: Like I thought Tim.
Speaker 4: I used to think Tim Scott, it was survival technique for Tim Scott. And then I realized, oh nah, he he's starting to believe in right like he I mean, there was a shift because because I've talked to him before, right, and and it was it was you always got the feeling that he was a conservative, a real conservative who was in the Republican Party, but like lately he just shift to shift it to like maga dude, like maga black dude.
Speaker 5: You said he was embarrassing himself.
Speaker 2: He said, if I think you posted a clip on your Twitter said, if I send you a picture of Tim Scott, that means you're embarrassing yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right now, I mean.
Speaker 4: And then like I'm not one to always like perpetuate like what they call the democratic mindset, So I would always point out that Tim Scott, for instance, was the first, the only person for years pushing for police reform, Like he he tried to get Republicans to pass the Tim Scott UH the Walter Scott Notification Act for years and then something happened and then he like he they were on the doorstep of passing police reform and Tim Scott sabotaged it because of like the most powerful man in South Carolina, the sheriff called Leon Lott and the police reform like one powerful white dude that nobody knows in the police reform and Tim Scott through Tim Scott right, and lately he's just like stopped being that old Tim Scott and become maga dude.
Speaker 1: I wonder about that, right, I agree with everything you just said, but I wonder if that is him trying to survive in a Republican party that is clearly being taken over by Maga.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing that would make sense if Tim Scott was somewhere, Like Tim Scott is a Senator from South Carolina.
Speaker 1: There is no way he's at the country now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's, but he's never going to lose if he keeps running like ninety eight percent of one thing, people don't really like eight percent of all senators when they leave the Senate, they retire. Like, it's almost impossible for a sitting, sitting senator to lose. And Tim Scott is in a Republican stronghold, He's never going to be child.
Speaker 1: If he got future aspirations though, if he has a future political aspiration, yeah.
Speaker 4: But are there is there a political future after Donald Trump? Like none of it makes sense, right, because he could be Tim Scott the same Tim Scott he was before Donald Trump and still have political aspirations, right, Like, he might even be more popular with his party if he wasn't that Maga dude. Right, he bought into a specific kind of anti black conservative ideology. When he didn't have to, and that like, and you can see the shift right, he's not even making sense anymore. He was a quiet conservative dude, and now he is a Donald Trump magamuffin, an acolyte of that anti black wing of the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, It just it just feels like if you're a traditional conservative like he was, the Maga people make you look almost like you're leaning left. So I don't he wants to look like he's leaning left in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's necessarily true because we you know, we hear that thing about like the traditional Republicans versus the Maga Republicans. The traditional Republicans and the Maga Republicans, there's no really no difference in policy, right, Like all the Republicans are right wing ideologues in truth right right, But but that Maga thing, like it's just a little bit more anti black, a little bit more vocally xenophobic.
Speaker 3: But it's no policy difference.
Speaker 4: And Tim Scott didn't have to buy into all of that to like Tim Scott through his granddaddy.
Speaker 3: My grandfather was an illiterate, poor tim daddy and he wasn't.
Speaker 4: It was a lie, right, and he did that to buy into that Republican not just the Republican ideology, but that Maga anti black version of black people that is necessary to perpetuate the myth of the Maga wing of the party.
Speaker 2: I want to go back for a lot of people that don't now. I'm always curious to how people got their start, right, So what piqued your interest when it came to journalism and politics. What was the first thing that says, this is something that's interesting that I want to do well? That was even your journey.
Speaker 4: So I'm actually an economist by training, so I was teaching macroeconomics and working for corporations, and this is when Newsweek was owned by the Washington Post. I used to just write these large policy things that like, say your company was building something overseas, I'd write, like what the economic impact it would have on that country? And Newsweek asked me to write these articles about First it was why everybody was buying gold? And I wrote it and it was like everybody was like, oh, you can really write. I was like, yeah, that's what I kind of do for a living. And from there what happened is you know, if you're the only black person in the space, come the expert on everything black.
Speaker 3: So when black stuff.
Speaker 4: Started happening, even though I was an economist now, I taught a college course called Race as an Economic Constructs, so that might be why, But I just became the default expert they come.
Speaker 3: To to ask to write about black stuff.
Speaker 5: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: You know what I love about you know, black af You break down the history of America at a high level, right, but you also do it in a very entertaining way. And it made me think of a great movie that's all right now called American Fiction.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: And the one problem I had with that movie was the whole that they left about the book Fuck. Have you seen the movie? Yeah? I wanted to know why people liked the book Fuck, because I felt like he was such a high level thinker that maybe he just wrote something that was more easily digestible for people. And it really made me feel like that when him and Eric Alexander had that back and forth in the kitchen and she liked the book and she used to like all his original stuff. So I wish they would have explained it in that moment why people liked the book but I think your book, you know, it shows you can put medicine and candy in something and be successful because you debut that what number five on the New York best Sellers or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you can do it right.
Speaker 4: But I think the difference, like you know, the book Fuck and American Fiction is a lot of times to make it in what used to like especially five years ago, even in the publishing industry, is you had to dumb it down for the sake of white people and all kind of pretend that you were kind of stupid, which is something that black people have always had to do in throughout history, right Like you couldn't let that white man know you could read or you could die, right Like, you couldn't let the people at your.
Speaker 3: Job know you were smarter because you would be a threat to them. That's where the.
Speaker 4: Phrase the spook who sat by the door comes from, because like affirmative action, they would take really smart people and make them secretaries, but they would have to sit by the door because people in the back office were scared that they would absorb that knowledge and take their position.
Speaker 3: So that's something that we always had to do, and that's why to me.
Speaker 4: American fiction was so interesting because it showed like there's this we were in this moment in publishing and then we're still in it in America in general, where white people were pretending to be interested in black things. It wasn't real, right, like we take that, you know, twenty twenty racial reckoning they call it, right, like, nothing really happened. They blacked out some Instagram on some means on Instagram and declared that black lives matter, but like the results of that was nothing, Like the corporations didn't donate the money that they plied. There was no reform, there were no bills that came out of it. But because of that thing we talked about early survival, the people who have been maligned and taken a sideline in publishing and in TV, they had an opportunity to take advantage of that brief moment of interest and write some books. And then so you can see, like we have a moment in publishing where a lot of black people are getting to speak truth without doing what fuck did and kind of dumb it down for white people.
Speaker 1: But that's what I said with you. You created a book that's super smart, but it's also highly entertaining. I don't think it's dumbed down at all. So I always wonder, like, when somebody is so smart, how come they can't figure out a way to make it digestible for everybody.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of that stuff is ego, man, because a lot of smart people want to be seen as smart people and not related information that they use.
Speaker 3: That's why they use like these.
Speaker 1: Big old words terrible communicators, right.
Speaker 4: Right, And so they make they want to either communicate to other smart people or to be seen by people who aren't as smart as them as smarter than them, right, And that's part part ego. But I think there is a way, because first of all, there's a lot of smart black.
Speaker 3: People who you can communicate with who.
Speaker 4: Also know like regular people like me and you, who know how to relate information like I could talk to you like I'm at the barbershop, and I could talk to you like I'm in an academic setting, right, And I don't have to choose between the two, because if you're smart, then part of being smart is knowing how to convey information so that it's digestible to anybody.
Speaker 2: Most attorneys do that, right, And if I use big words and use words that come from a thesaurus because they feel like they're going to talk over somebody.
Speaker 5: And a lot of times they say shit, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and academics and scholars and you know, and a lot of times it's because the people we're talking about were picked by the white establishment as somebody.
Speaker 3: Who is smart.
Speaker 1: Breakdown down because you know, just we.
Speaker 4: Know how media works, we know how like corporations work, Like journalism is what like at best six percent black, right, So when you're talking about the people at the top, for instance of journalism.
Speaker 3: Those people were picked by.
Speaker 4: A white establishment and kind of endowed with the credentials to speak a lot of times for black people.
Speaker 1: But does it matter if the person that's speaking cannot galvanize an audience, Like if you're not able to, if you get put in that position and you're not able to you know, energize people and make people gravitate towards you, it does it even matter?
Speaker 4: But that assumes that you're there to energize and get black people to listen and not validate things for white people. I'll give you an example, right, So, a couple of weeks ago, there was a black reporter who went down to near where I live in Georgia and interviewed black people about.
Speaker 3: Like why Biden might lose in rural Georgia article.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the interesting thing about that article was, like I lived literally five.
Speaker 3: Minutes from the place.
Speaker 4: She wasn't interviewing like regular black people, right, because first of all, that has that specific time where she has as one of the highest voter registration and participation rates, and she was talking about first of all, she was talking to college students who weren't going to be able to Like she was asking people what why they wouldn't vote for Biden and they were saying, well, Biden cut off my food stamps and I'm a college student. But out of that whole subset, why would you talk to somebody who didn't have the right information, right when it's so many people, because you there to perpetuate the narrative, right, and so a lot of times you're not there to get a black audience, there to validate the same opinions that white people have already held about black people. That's why we see this thing about you know, why is the Republican Party going to be attractive to black people? Look, I can tell you never in the history of America since black people have been able to vote. Have black people voted for the Conservative party, whether it was the Democrats or the Republicans at the time.
Speaker 3: It's not going to happen. It's never going to happen. Every year happen.
Speaker 1: At the number they're saying, I think right now they say it's twenty two percent, They'll never get twenty two percent of the black people. I don't think.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, it'll never it's not going to.
Speaker 1: Happen, and it will go up though, I think it'll be a bump.
Speaker 3: But here's what you have to ask yourself.
Speaker 4: Right, So black people make up twelve percent of the voting electric right, so if it goes up by five points, that's less like that's less than a half of a percentage of the total electorate, right, like five points with black people, especially if you're talking about black men, it's less.
Speaker 3: Than half a percent. So why would you even write an.
Speaker 4: Article or perpetuate this narrative and have it in multiple newspapers, Like it's not just like the New York Times just talking about this, it's just the Watchington Post. Is the Wall Street journalist the La time talking about the same thing When it's such a small it cannot decide an election when the man turning conservative cannot cannot decide an election.
Speaker 1: As close as the elections have been lately, and this one, I think what I've been saying this year is that you know, you're gonna have to It's gonna be the Republicans who are the criminals, you know, the Democrats who are the couch because they don't fight enough, and the couch which is voter apathy. And I think that a lot of Democrats are focusing too much on what Republicans are doing when they need to focus the energy on the people on the couch. Right, Right, So if the Republicans were able to get i don't know, two three percent of black voters to increase as close as the election might be, you don't.
Speaker 4: Think that could no, because see what you're talking about, first of all, leaves out the fact that there's this thing called the elector.
Speaker 3: Right, So so where the Democrats when states is in.
Speaker 4: Large black enclaves, in large city states with large cities, well a two or three percent swing in even in those cities, it's not gonna do anything. Man Like we keep talking about the you know about politics in such broad terms, especially when you talk about the black vote, when we never focus on this fact, right, like most white people in America are going to vote for a man with twenty one criminal charges, and we're talking about what ninety one criminal charges, and we're talking about what black people do, not what we know white people are going to do. Right, White, we know white people are going to vote for the racist, xenophobic, criminal scam artists, ignorant dude, And we're talking about what zero point five percent of the elector is going to do. It's gotta be a narrative, and they get back Black people back to what you ask black journalists to rubber stampet by talking about that dumb, stupid narrative, to verify.
Speaker 3: That it's a thing.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is right? Because, like you know, when I get on these platforms, I've been saying the same thing, Like the whole electorate is dissatisfied, right like you got you know, last yesterday I saw a poet said Biden would lose by I think forty points in a general election to Trump. And the polls are down for him with younger voters and independence and Latinos and Asians and black people. Why do you think it's just focused on.
Speaker 4: Because you can't talk about like it turns white people off to even say the words white people.
Speaker 3: You can't talk about what white people are gonna do and like. And then again you have to.
Speaker 4: Realize this goes back to the original premise of the argument is that the nose newsrooms are ninety two to ninety four percent white. Those white people don't that's not a narrative. They don't even see things through that lens. Just like, for instance, the New York Times doing that thing on Travis Kelsey's haircut. Right now, we as absurd in all the jokes were right, What it really was about is that entire chain of command was given was was filtered through a white lens. Like there couldn't have been any black person as an editor in that newsroom who said, what do you mean popular? Like like this harecut has been popular for a while. You now that lens is it's popular now for white people.
Speaker 2: I can just tell from that that, like we said this oneer, that they don't see us right, like, they don't open their eyes to see that.
Speaker 5: We've had phades for Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Mike, you make all skinful game canfolk right everything you don't know about that.
Speaker 3: Fade, But yeah, they doing.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is, I don't even care about what the white people in the new black people in the newsroom did, Right. It is a white lens to think that something is popular now because white people see it and start doing it. Like they talk about critical race theory in the reverse sense that like, why do we have to look at it from a black perspective because they don't realize that they've been seeing things all of this time from a white perspective.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I want to ask you something you was talking about. You know, when do you talk about Tim Scott? Do you think black people period right when it comes to Democrats are Republicans? Is there ever any reason for us to be acting the way he acts over politicians because black democrats. I'll be seeing the way these black Democrats act over the Democratic Party too, and it all look the same. It's all the same energy of the I love you, Like, do you think there's any reason for black people to be acting like that over any politician regardless of party?
Speaker 3: Nah? No, there isn't.
Speaker 4: Because but I think, like what Tim that little dance that Scott first of all I've seen black people do that over a Democratic politicis, like, I want to be clear, but the thing about black or I mean about black people in politics in general, man, is a lot of times we don't realize like black people have been through what like twenty elections in the history of black Like we were just able to vote like twenty presidential elections ago, right, Like got.
Speaker 3: We did this twenty times in the history of black people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: And the other thing is, though that a lot of that criticism is premised on the fact that the black people in the Democratic Party are cool with how the Democratic Party has worked, Like we criticize it internally and amongst each other, Like we know that the white Democrats in the Democratic Party are racist too, Like they ain't less racist than the white people in the Republican Party, right, Like we know that and we have the same criticisms. Right, But I don't think you have to shuck and jive. What Tim Scott is doing is shocking and jobing for Tim.
Speaker 1: Scott, I agree with you, but I feel like so many black people have done and that too. I'll give you some examples. Bill Clinton, the first black president, Uncle Joe Biden, God Damn, What have these men done for you that you call him uncle Joe and said that he's the first black president.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I think there's a difference, right, I don't I do in this sense, right, even though I kind of agree with you, but calling Bill Clinton the first black president don't do nothing right.
Speaker 1: But think about why they.
Speaker 5: Used to call him that, because he played the saxophone.
Speaker 1: And because he used to he was he was used to smoke weeds, to smoke weed, like he was good with women. It wasn't even nothing positive.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, but I think a part of that was too, like he was a southern poor dude from the from Arkansas too. But I agree with you, like I know, I don't think it was good to call him the first black president, but Tim, But Bill Clinton didn't win because black people were calling him the first black president.
Speaker 3: Bill Clinton.
Speaker 4: Joe Biden didn't win because people's calling him uncle Joe. Tim Scott is trying to help a xenophobic, racist, anti black man win by dancing.
Speaker 1: Right, He's not gonna win because Tim Scott was dancing, But.
Speaker 4: The attempts is and the fact that he is positioning himself because Tim Scott really is positioning himself.
Speaker 3: To be the black to be the VP pick I think had a hood that get.
Speaker 4: But regardless of what it is, right like to be a bigger part of that anti black machine. Right like the person who said to Bill Clinton is the first black president wasn't part of it. Didn't get a lollipop from the Democratic Party for it. They didn't get become part of the machine. Same thing with Joe Biden. It was just some dumb stuff that people were saying, you know, amongst each other in barbershops and everything.
Speaker 1: But it was Congress people who said this to it people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and I again I agree with the premise.
Speaker 4: But Tim Scott is a single person, right, It's not not talking about like an ethos. Tim Scott is a single person who is trying to use his blackness as a culture against black people by verifying and validating the most racist political machine in the country.
Speaker 2: Do you think people, do you think black people are politically fatigued, tired of this shit, tired of the conversations and the talk over and over again, tired of the selling the dreams, tired of the car salespeople feel do you think that's going to stop? A lot of people from going out.
Speaker 3: I think it might. Like one of the things that might is that at some point there's going to have to be a.
Speaker 4: Reckoning with the Democratic Party and saying you have to start giving us, stop giving us lip service, and start doing the stuff that you say. But one of the things that people said, well, we can't do it this year because what if Trump wins?
Speaker 1: They do They do that every election. That's tell us. Now.
Speaker 4: The second part of that sentence is that the difference in this time is a lot of black felks are gonna say, I ain't scared.
Speaker 3: He's already been president. Yeah, I lived through him once.
Speaker 4: Right, that's what might attract people to the college because we live through a Trump presidency. I agree that we're going to have to have a reckoning with the Democratic Party too, right, because it ain't nothing we can do. But I think it's wrong to equate the racism of inside the Democratic Party with the points of the Republican Party. Is white supremacy, right, Like, that's that's the goal is to keep power among white people, and they weaponize it with their policies and who they attract to their coalition.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think that's democratic fault though, because you know, they have demonized, they demonized every single Republican candidate every time it's an election. And now that there's an actual, real threat to Democrat, a real demon, we're like, ah, please, you didn't heard that story before.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: And then the other side of that, though, is they might can they might be able to fight that better if they said, hey, you know that demon, we got the answer to kill that demon.
Speaker 3: Right, But.
Speaker 4: The policies that we put forth, because it's not like black people have a new agenda. We've been pushing the same agenda for since, like the nineteen seventy nine Indiana Summit, Right, we were pushing the same agenda. Like that's why we kind of dismissed ice Cube, right, because we knew that what he was saying was nothing. Why we want a rapper going to plead our case in the White House, Like, we don't even want to vote for nobody who would even talk to a rapper versus somebody who would know our agenda policy wise.
Speaker 1: But you wouldn't want vote for somebody who spoke to a rapper.
Speaker 4: No, what I'm saying is, if you are going to make time to address black people's knees, and you're going to invite someone to speak to you and see what you might be missing.
Speaker 3: If you invite ice.
Speaker 4: Cube and say, like, that's the one who I need to talk to about what black people want, then you probably just a performative person who just trying to get votes and pander the black people.
Speaker 1: That's why ice Cube got to bring the right people with them. I mean, I feel like that's where the entertainment in the experts go hand in hand, right, Like, if I get that invite, take somebody with you who knows what they're talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, but here's the thing, right, if you are an expert who could really talk to ice Cube, wouldn't you have told him that, Hey, this agenda already exists, Like they know about this stuff like it was in the Tavis Smiley wrote about it, it was in the nineteen seventy nine political Black Slimmit. It's the same like literally the same stuff, like the same bullet points, the same.
Speaker 3: Policy goals, everything.
Speaker 4: And if he had the right people around him, he would have been he would have known like, Oh, what I'll do is I'll get behind the experts who have already been pushing this agenda than trying to make it about not just about himself but being mad when we didn't recognize the absolute unique genius of ice Cube.
Speaker 1: Right, I think we're saying the same thing though. It's just like, yes, these agendas have already been out there, but I think we gotta we gotta keep them in these people's faces because these people have every reason to ignore.
Speaker 3: Us, right, Right.
Speaker 4: But that's what ice why ice Cube should be saying, I am going to get behind these smart black people, right.
Speaker 1: Because instead of saying this is my agenda that I wrote.
Speaker 4: Or not even just saying that it is mine, right, Like, just like ice Cube has a lot of capital in Black America, right, he could be uplifting some of the people who have been who are scholars, who are the people who have been doing the work for years and years. But ice Cube said, I want to be in that room and you need to talk to me, ice c Right. And I think there's there's a bit of ego in that that it's to the detriment of black people. Because let's say they did invite ice Cube there and ice Q said all the right things like don't just perpetuate the same myth that these stupid rappers and these stupid entertainers, and many of them who haven't done the work, but they have good intentions, are the representatives for black people.
Speaker 1: But what if?
Speaker 2: What if Cube actually gets it done, like Kim Kardashian gets things that people say she gets things done when I.
Speaker 1: Just saw something come out right, People have said that.
Speaker 2: People have said Donald Trump listened to Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 1: Before he listened to But there's women behind Kim that have actually done the work. But black women behind Kim I can't remember since his name, we had.
Speaker 4: Two black females, Yeah, lawyer, And that is the point, right, Like, if ice Cube can get you into the room, I ain't got no problem with that, right.
Speaker 3: But and I ain't even got no problem with ice Cube asking to be in the room. Right. But when ice Cube was told, hey, you can't be in the room, he switched up and say, well, I can go talk to Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: And then he elevated the purveyor of the white genocide, the white replacement theory, Tucker Castle, went on his show. When Tucker Castle didn't even have a toe holding media, ice Cube helped him get that, help him gain that audience, validated his belief by saying he can't be racist because he's sitting here talking to this dude who is pushing an.
Speaker 3: Agenda for black people.
Speaker 4: Right, Like, that is why you don't want the people who are driven by ego in the room, because if they don't get in the room, right, he switched to the enemy side, BHILLI So.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a question, right, So the Breakfast Club here has had.
Speaker 1: Hold on I got to say their names, Brittany kboard Net and me Angel Cody.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So the Breakfast Club has had politicians up here that necessarily weren't on outside, right, Republicans here.
Speaker 5: So what's your thought on that?
Speaker 2: Because a lot of people have said, why do you give those Republicans the platform?
Speaker 1: As if they don't already have a huge platform.
Speaker 2: Why do you allow them up there and have it MSNBC, Fox A, Why I'm up here and have them spew things that are not necessarily best for our community.
Speaker 4: So it's two sides of that, right, Like, I think if you're going to have those people on, you have to be equipped to counter the narrative that you know they're going to push. Right, Like a lot of times again because the ego we think that I'm equipped, I'm smart enough to and it ends up being that person promoting the ideology. You're giving a person a platform to promote anti black ideology, anti black narrative. The other thing is that just like you said, they got enough platforms, right, Like, I don't necessarily disagree with the intellectual curiosity or the ability to say, look, I am probably what a lot of people will call progressive, pro black or whatever, and my viewpoint can stand up in the face of somebody like Nikki Haley or Republican, and I'm gonna show you that it can because I'm gonna have them in this space.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anything wrong with that, But I think a lot of times when some people do it right, it ends up being counter to what we content to the point that they brought them into right like ice Cube going on Tucker Castle Tuck a crust and wiped the Explore with ice Cube. He bent ice Cube into a pretzel.
Speaker 1: I watched it.
Speaker 4: Watch if they weren't debating, right, Tucker Cuson is experienced media person, so he knew how to get ice Cube to say what he wants. Like ice Cube has criticisms of people like Oprah and the people at the top of the power structure. Right, But if that's the only thing you say and tuck a cost of managers to manipulate you and to say and just bad stuff about black people, you weren't equipped to do that. And now we're supposed to still believe that that ice cube is equipped to go into those rooms and represent us when we see what these white folks one on one can can twist you in the presso and make you sound like and make you look like right, And that's the thing, right, Like, there is kind of a divining line where you can have that robust intellectual debate with people from the other side if you are equipped, whether if you're not equipped to do it. You also have to invite people who are equipped to do it into the room when you have them on your platform, those people like you know, Republicans, conserv which I'm not afraid I'm not afraid to do.
Speaker 1: I think in this era, people like confrontation over conversation, because what's the point of platform with democrats Because when we have democrats up here, it's the same thing, just from a whole other side. It's people that say all they did was lie about this. All they did was lie about that. You didn't challenge them enough on this. You didn't challenge them enough on that. So it's literally the same thing. If you have Democrats on, you have some people that are mad. You have Republicans on, you will have people that are mad. There's not one politician I've ever seen come on, maybe like maybe one or two that actually made people be like h what they said was was actually.
Speaker 4: That's kind of how you know you on the right path if you in media right, like, if you if both sides are upset by something you did, then you probably kind of were fear right. Like I call it, like by doctor Umar, thing like doctor Umar don't like me because I've been critical.
Speaker 3: Of him, your white wife, huh No, I'm sorry, But.
Speaker 4: Doctor Umar was because was mad at me because I was critical of him of how he raised money and some of the stuff he said about gay people. And the reason people know that doctor Umar is doctor Umar is because I did the journalism and actually validated his PhD.
Speaker 1: So and people got mad at you for that, and people.
Speaker 4: Was mad at me doctor Umar. Haters was mad at me because you validating him. And what I'm what I'm trying to do is be fair, right, And so if both sides are kind of mad at you, you probably know you were doing the right thing and you were at least fair.
Speaker 5: But when did you get to a point where you can have a real conversation? Right? I remember Floyd Mayweather.
Speaker 2: Back in the day where you know, ten years ago he was I like Donald Trump, right, and people were canceling him and this, that and the other. But when do we have a point where we can have a conversation and be like, all right, Floyd, this is your opinion. Why and then have a conversation because he might not know some of the things that Floyd say, or there might be something that you say that somebody might not know. But you never get to that point if we can't have a conversation. And the first thing is like he said, it's confrontation.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we can have that conversation. Like I do it all the time.
Speaker 4: Like when I hear stuff that people who I disagree with say, the first thing I do is try to get in contact women see why, or try to research and see why we can have that conversation. Now, the thing is a lot of times because of social media, because of the way the world works, right, Like, the nuances of that conversation are never going to be talked about or seen because it can't fit into a two minute and twenty second clip. But we can have the conversation, and I think that's on us to do because if you have a platform like the Breakfast Club, you can have those conversations in long form and explore those things, and you don't have to have a hot take all of the time because it's always going to be a hot take, right, right, and you always go to Like the pushback is kind of a reflection of how popular and how impactful you are, because like, if I did it, I'd have way less pushback sometimes, and what you guys do because you got a bigger platform.
Speaker 1: What them hip hop dudes talking to them politicians.
Speaker 3: But the other thing is, right, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: If you do something and with a platform that gets big as yours or mine, right, and eighty percent of the people like it, well eighty I'll just go say yeah, I like that and just go on. Those twenty percent that don't like it are going to scream at you on social media. So the people who like it don't ever say anything. They just like like it and move on like So the people who are, for lack of a better word, anti U, are haters are always going to be the loudest.
Speaker 1: The reason I like reading not just you know, your book Black af but your articles is because of what you're You look at things from a objective lens. I remember an article you wrote one time, and it was about Tim Scott's police reform bill. I want to say it was a George Floyd police Yeah, I think it was Walter Scott bill and Joe fluc If I'm not mistaking, you said Tim Scott's bill was better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tim, So, Tim Scott's Walter Scott Notification Act would have required every police department in America to notify not just when they when, because first of all, most people don't know that like, no one in America, the whole world knows how many black people police killed every year because there's no mechanism to report police killings.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So Tim Scott's bill would have not just notified of the federal government every time a police officer kills someone, but every time a police officer fired their gun, it would have the name, age, race of the person they were firing at all of that, right, And so that part of Tim Scott's.
Speaker 3: Bill that's wild that that that's not recorded.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought every time a police officer shoots his fire on that just had to be documented, and it had to.
Speaker 4: In some police departments it does, right, But then it stays in that police department, They're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to go to state agency or federal agency. So we don't know, right.
Speaker 4: Like the things that you see about the numbers of how many people are killed by police, those are from media reports on duty police officers who kill someone only with their gun.
Speaker 3: Right, Like like like when you see.
Speaker 4: Like George Floyd isn't in the police killing database, is not in the police killing database, right, So it's only people who are shot and killed by on duty police officers, right. So Tim Scott's bill was better, right, But then Tim Scott sabotaged it because qualified Community, Nah, because of the National Sheriffs Association had LEO headed by Leon Lott, who is the most powerful man in South Carolina, and they didn't want to give up that power to the federal federal government because of this white supremacist ideology. And y'all can look it up in google the constitutional sheriff's idea that sheriffs are above the constitution, Like they don't. They are the enforces of the constitution that are kind of above the constitution. And it's a white supremacist movement that nobody writes or talks about.
Speaker 3: And that's who sabotage police reform.
Speaker 1: So I thought, I thought people didn't like Tim Scott's bill because he didn't he didn't want to qualify, he didn't want to scribe qualified immunity.
Speaker 4: Well, that was one of the that was one of the things the differences between like the Democrats bill and Tim Scott's, But that that's not what sabotaged because really qualified immunity isn't like, isn't it really deal breaking?
Speaker 3: And to tell you the truth, right, that the Federal Police Reform Bill can only do so much.
Speaker 4: Right, that's the importance of knowing about politics, right, because because the federal the federal government doesn't control police officers and they don't control what the laws that govern police officers, what the Federal Police Reform Bill would have been was a mechanism to control the federal funds that police departments get. Right, Because they can't govern police departments. That is a state level bill, So we should be trying to make this movement a state level movement. And that's why knowledge of politics is important, because the federal government really can't do anything but say, hey, if y'all your police department doesn't use body cams, then you don't qualify for these federal funds that we give police.
Speaker 3: Departments every year. Right, And that's all the federal government can do.
Speaker 1: So why do we let these negroes get away with saying the Biden administration they did ban the use of choke holds and no knock warrants when we know that's on a federal level.
Speaker 4: Right, because of a lack of knowledge about politics, Because again, we don't have these conversations, these long form, deeper conversations, because people believe what they read on social media and stead of investigating it for themselves. Because like the FBI and the Secret Service are the only one the only entities or agencies that can be banned from using no knock warrants and choke holds. Now, what we can say is, if you're the police department, don't ban no knock warrants and choke holds, then you won't get the federal.
Speaker 3: Funds to buy body cams or to buy police armor or stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Now you can withhold funds, but you can't really tell police departments. And y'all can knock on somebody door go in without a no knock warrant.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Michael Harriet, the author of Black af History and The Unwhitewatch Story of America. Another thing I love about the book is it shows how when it comes to America, nearly everything started in South Caroline. Yeah, that's everything.
Speaker 4: That's always been one of my premises for like years, even before I begin writing the book, is that the thing is the capital of Black America. If there is such a thing as Black America, then its capital is in South Carolina. Forty percent of all the people who were enslaved in America came through South Carolina. And if you talk about just spending time in South Carolina, Carolina and a port or something like that, it goes up to ninety percent. Right, So Black America, like all of the laws, like the law that stopped cities from being able to segregate buses, didn't come from the Montgomery bus boycott, right, that came from a South Carolina bus protest years before the Montgomery bus boycott. As a matter of fact, when Montgomery went to federal court and took their case to the Supreme Court, the reason is not a Supreme Court case is because it's the Supreme Court said, oh yo, we already decided this in South Carolina. Right, So everything starts in South Carolina. All of the laws that governed the enslaved are because of a slave revote in seventeen thirty nine in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: I think most people, if they do their family history, they'll see a relative that came from South Carolina.
Speaker 5: Their mom is from South Carolina. All this is from.
Speaker 2: If they're black, Caribbean is different. But if they're black, like my mom just showed me a picture. It was her baby picture and she's from South Carolina and she showed me. She was like, look, we was broken pre in South Carolina. Look at the back, but you understand. But that's where the initi thing came from.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that I talk about in the book and we don't know is that the Caribbean connection, because most of the enslaved people from South Carolina.
Speaker 3: Was shipped them from the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: Right, Like South Carolina was was basically first created by a group of white people who lived who had plantations in Barbados, right, So they bought enslaved people from the Caribbean and then started going to back to Africa, to the rice coast of Africa when they realized, hey, these people know how to grow rice. And it's a whole chapter in the book on like how rice built America and like before South Carolina and black people in South Carolina started growing rice, most people don't know.
Speaker 3: For instance, like it was slaves were eighty percent black.
Speaker 4: That's they weren't creating other slaves because they were just importing black men. But black women were the one who knew how to grow rice and knew the agricultural technology. So that's when they started trans enslaving more black women and that's how it became about about one to one in America.
Speaker 1: Have you been through the International African American Museum.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I was there on opening weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, man, I loved this book. All this stuff that you're talking about and stuff that we we got taught a little bit growing up in Charleston, not the way we should have, like.
Speaker 4: But Charceton people in Charleston know a lot more than people everywhere else, just because like it's something that you can't ignore in charst.
Speaker 1: Rebellion, then invest like you're gonna learn about it.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's in the dirt there. We're here in New York growing up. They tell you you learned about Frederick Douglas, you learn about Rosa Parks, you learned about Matin Luther King, you learned about Malcolm Bax, You learned about those people.
Speaker 5: That's it, right, And a.
Speaker 4: Lot of it is because like those people, the black people in Charleston, it was passed down not in schools, but by the people who were involved in it.
Speaker 1: That's right. I encourage anybody if you go to Charleston, just go on a tour. Just get one of the brothers and sisters to take you on a tour of downtown Charleston, and you get all of that and go see to go to the International African American Museum and by Black af History, the unwhitewashed story of America from South Carolina's own Michael Harriet tell we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'm on all social media as m I C h A E l h A R. R I O T.
Speaker 4: I write weekly, well three times a week for the Grillo and have the Greeo Daily Podcast where I talk about the same stuff we're talking about here, not with guests, it's just me explaining stuff. So the Greo Daily Podcast you can find me on social media under.
Speaker 3: My name on all platforms.
Speaker 2: Michael Harriet and gentlemen, It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club