Speaker 1: Welcome to money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money making conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Hi, there, this is Rashi McDonald. And it is cold in the south. That's right. Move to the south is won no, no, no, no, move to the south. And it is very cold. So this is my air in summer. I'm got me tell you something. Why I'm doing this interview right now in January. It is cold. So whenever you hear this interview, if it repeats, it's cold when I'm doing this interview. So when I finished the interview, I'll be snuggling up in my gloves and my big hat and my big coat and going home and getting in the bed. That's going to keep you warm all night. Yes, I am Rowshan MacDonald. I'm the host of this weekly Money Making Conversation Masterclass show. The interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest on the show today is doctor Chuck Wallington. He is the author of A Seat at the c Suite Table, Insights from the leadership Journeys of African American executives. Please work with the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, Doctor Chuck Wallington.
Speaker 3: How you doing, sir, I'm will Rashaan. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: And you someplace warned my brother, please tell me yes I am.
Speaker 3: I am not. I wish I were a Greensboro, North Carolina and it's.
Speaker 1: Well, you know this is a climate change. Well I'm experiencing the climate change because brother, it is a chili chili chili. But I'm born and raised in Houston, Texas. So I'm a Southern boy. So you're in Greensboro, so you know that's that's the South too, So that there's those statement that you so is woman in South. That's not true today for you, nor I And how you doing? You got a book out, book coming out? Tell us about it right quick.
Speaker 3: I am doing well and I do have a book that's in the market and it's called A Seat at the C Suite Table. And I was inspired to write this book after having worked in corporate America for now thirty five plus years. I'm still working in corporate America, and I've always wondered, are there journeys for other people who look like me the same as mine or are they different? And so that's what inspired me to actually write the book. And I reached out to thirty black men who are currently working in the US corporations in C suite roles, and I asked them if they would share their leadership journeys with me, and they did so, and this became my doctoral dissertation research and it's now a book that's available in the marketplace today.
Speaker 1: I have to ask you the question, why did you not include a woman?
Speaker 3: You know what, there's been a lot of research already about women and their stories are important for sure. As a black male, though, I wanted to understand and to highlight the unique journeys of black men. So that's why I chose to narrow my focus and focus on black men. Now, if there's a part two to this, who knows, maybe that could then focus on the journeys of black women.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, being a former employee of IBM, I worked at two and a half years undergraduate two and a half years graduate of undergrads in mathematics. So I was a guy who's journeying in that direction to an executive. But we all need to be educated. So what exactly do you mean when you say c suite? What does that What does that term mean?
Speaker 3: Great, that's a great question. So that term broadly refers to people who are the chiefs of the areas for which they're responsible. So think of the chief financial officer, the chief executive officer, the chief operating officer, the chief marketing and communications officer. It's the most senior person in an organization who's responsible for that particular function and the collective of those So the eight or nine or ten on whatever the small number tends to be, those folks typically report to the CEO and they're the ones who make the strategic decisions for the organization. So that's the C suite. There are not a lot of people there, and for people of color, it can be a challenge at best to get there, and then you have your own unique experiences once you're there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know the interesting thing about it, like I said, I was it was, like I said, I went to college. I graduated in eighty three. So I worked for IBM from eighty three to eighty six. And so a good is about mentorship, and that word wasn't used back then as it is used today about who you turn to, who you communicate, because that helps you, that helps you total line, you know. So I had no one I could turn to, even you know, there was above me. I have people on my same level, you know, but no one above me that can tell me, you know, reach back and pull me up or tell me what I had to do get up. Did any of them discuss that mentorship availability as they will growing their career objectives, you know, sending the ladder.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was great conversation among the thirty of them. And remember I interviewed them individually and I kind of pulled the data together collectively. So Yes, one of the themes was that these men would love to have had mentors, coaches, sponsors, and allies. Some of them did and some of them didn't. Those who did have mentors, talk very finally about the role the mentors played for them, how the mentors opened doors for them, how the mentors helped them to navigate the corporate culture. For those who didn't, they talked about how they yearned for mentors. Even today, even though they've reached the c suite, many of them still yearn from mentors. They talked about if you didn't have a mentor, how they had to navigate the system themselves, had to figure things out, how they had to figure out what the culture of their organization was. And they talked about how challenging it was. It wasn't impossible for them, but it was more challenging. And they talked about how they just wish they'd had mentors and sponsors and coaches and role models, or at least more of them.
Speaker 1: For sure, I know it's very important I can. I've shared my story of my experience of being hired full time, because when you work part time, there's some you know, there's some allowances on how you should dress, and because you're in college, you know so, so they won't be as saying they can be more accommodating to your clothes that you wear. When I came on full time. Then I still was in that college mindset, you know, kind of when and it was a ibing when IV's a M was really you know, you had to really dress a certain way. You know, had to have that great gray suit, their browsuit, that black suit, you know, that blue navy blue suit, red tie, all that stuff, because that was the that was the format that they had. Today, a lot of people, a lot more casual people pitch casual fridays a very major corporations. But I came on board. And that's why mentorship is important. Nobody told me, Rashan Rashank, You're not in college anymore. You're going to have to change the way you look. So I was rolling through, Chuck. I was rolling through wondering why I wasn't getting promoted, wondering why I wasn't getting invited into any inner circle meetings that I felt would benefit me to grow as a potential executive, because at that moment, that's what I wanted to be. I wanted to be an IBM executive. I wanted to go up the food change. But nobody told me. So I was walking in there with my little stylish pointy toe shoes and then I have a little my little skinny tie, and I would have I wouldn't wear a full suit. I would have a little blazer jacket. You know the pants they were they will fly. You know. Long as the ladies said they were looking nice, I was putting it on. You know what I'm saying, Chuck, and so you know what I'm saying. So but I'm not, I'm not. I'm just telling people was truth. That's when you don't have people telling you of pulling your coattail, telling you, young man, you look nice, but what are you trying to achieve here? If I had sat down to sir, I want to be an executive at IBM, they told you where you're dressing wrong, young man. That's what mentorship will do for you. And that's why I want to bring it up because you can go through the whole process. And I'm gonna tell you something. I got hired with two white guys at the same time and they were just flying through. But they were not dressing like Rashan McDonald. They weren't as fly as Rashan McDonald. They were playing the roles. They had the white the white conservative Stacey adams On and conservative wing tip shoes on, and they had the white shirts with the tide that there was appropriately deemed the role you should wear when you go into the corporate experience. And I had to go and talk to my supervisor and he had to tell me, Rashan in a professional way, because you really can't tell anybody, hey, you're dressing wrong when you're in the leadersh le. He just told me, you may want to check how you are dressing. Look around, look around at the leaders, look at around at the supervisors. Do you see anybody dressed like you, ra Sean? And I had to admit no. And when I admitted to myself no, then I went out and bought me some suits and went in the store. At the time, I could buy three suits for ninety nine dollars each. And I came back through that door and my life changed. My life at IBM changed immediately because I played the role. And that's what you're talking about in mentorship. And I'm pretty sure those examples of what they were saying, if they had somebody, they may not be extreme ast mind, Chuck, but I tell you need some guidance when you walking into an environment that is predominant.
Speaker 3: White that's true, So you have to have the guidance. And certainly these men had some experiences as far as dress is concerned, but their experiences with mentors or the lack there went even deeper. So you know, when you go into any organization, you know there's a culture, right, there's a way that you do things in a way that you don't do things. And some of it's how you dress, but some of it's how that you act and how you conduct yourself. Some of it's just the more nuanced pieces of the white culture that some folks perhaps haven't been exposed to. All of that's important, and you have to learn how to navigate an organization's culture in order to be successful. So again, these men talked about how they learn how to navigate this white culture. And if you pause and think about it for a second, you know, the companies in the United States, for the most part, were created by white men for the success of white men, and so all the rules, all the regulations are for the success of white men. So think about what happens when a black man or a black woman or some other minority comes into an organization. The rules are already set against them, right, It doesn't mean they can't figure them out, and many people do. It just means it's a challenge on the front end to figure it out. That's what a mentor or a coach can help you do. And the men talked about the advantage of having mentors and coaches, and for those who didn't, they talked about the struggle and fortunately they were still able to make it. So you're right, it's everything that includes dress. But it's not just dress. It's that and so much more.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm talking to doctor Chuck Wallington his book A Seat at the c Suite Table, Insights from the Leadership Journeys of African American Executives, and I, you know, it's really interesting because, like you know, when I was you know, I come from inner city. I graduated from University Houston, which is in third Ward. I still hung out with my friends. I pledged amegasci Fi fraternity Incorporated, so I my black culture. I came from a black neighborhood. I went to a white school. I was fortunate to be a vice president's student body while I was there, so I understood communicating with everybody. But it's still when I got to IBM, I didn't have a role model, and that's why I think the value of internship. Interning helps as well, because I'm just talking about not just these gentlemen, but we're talking about future. If you can intern at a company, it will help you and I also lead you into some mentorship roles, because I think your book is about more so about these men, but also how society is today and how you can take advantage of some of the things that are available today.
Speaker 3: Correct, chup, that's exactly right. And one of the first things that you have to do if you aspire for a seat at the c suite table is to take the opportunities that come to you now. And so if you are young and in college and thinking about business as a career, that's great, And to your point, speak out every opportunity to learn, go in, ask questions. Yes, you want to be compensated for what you do, and you don't have to come in making a whole boatload of money as an intern. It's very okay to come in and be compensated and then go in and figure out what it is that you can learn so that you become even better at what you think you want to do. Internships also rule out things. So you may go into an internship and think you want to pursue one area. You may decide I don't like that, right, you discover something else along the way. That is the value and the beauty of an internship.
Speaker 1: It's really amazing how you sit down and you know, I also encourage individuals to look at temporary employment opportunities because of the fact, like you said, I remember I used that a lot as well, Chuck, and laying out my aspirations because working at a temporary job, if they like you, then they'll keep you and hire you permanently because basically, especially the day a lot of companies are trying to avoid you know, unemployment insurance or laying people off. They'll hire people through through the through temporary inssignments. And the whole thing that this conversation is getting to that C suite and just seeing is that the company for you? Because I knew and I eventually left IBM, not because of a bad company. It wasn't a dream that I had for my life. I prefer entertainment. And that's all you're saying as well, Chuck, is that understand the culture? Understand is this your final goal is just the environment that you want to aspire and the only way you're going to do that is do interning mentorship as well as job experience. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true, And you made a reference here that I'm going to follow up on. Think about the industry that you want to go into. So I had never thought about going into healthcare, and twelve years ago had a chance to come into healthcare in a leadership role and that's what landed me in my C suite role that I'm blessed to hoole today. But I had never thought about health care. I'd worked in financial services and consumer packaged goods and I'm a newspaper reporter by training briefly right out of undergraduate school. So I never thought about it. But everybody owes it to him or herself to think about what about the industry and can I see myself in that industry? Can I get excited about the work that happens in healthcare or in financial services or whatever your industry of choice happens to be. And again, for your younger listeners, the beauty of it now is you don't have to have it all figured out. You get to explore numbers of industry that you might be interested in, and you will eventually land in one that really resonates with you and speaks to who you are and what you're passionate about.
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't have to go to find you a botanica. You're that big old dictionary on that wall. Did you have to look through all the different words and figure out what's going on? I'm speaking to doctor Chuck Wallington. He's the book. It's the book is the author A Seat at the c Suite Table, Insights from the Leadership Journeys of African American Executive. When we come back, I'll be asking doctor Wallington, how did he select these mail executives? You know he put them out of the hand, but they recommend it. How did he find he found thirty of them? Where did they come from? We write back with more money Making Conversation Masterclass. My guest is doctor Chuck Wallington. He's an author of the book book the c Suite and get correct name A Seat at the c Suite Table, Insights from Leadership Journeys of African American Executives. And these thirty African American executives are male. How did you line them up or how did they come into your book?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. The headline there is there's a God somewhere, And I say that with all sincerity because when I started this research, I knew four, maybe five of these executives myself, and I had a goal of thirty and I said, you know what, I can get to thirty. And the methodology that I used, quite frankly, was as I would finish an interview with someone, I would say, can you please refer me to someone else? And so I got to the thirty because a lot of the men that I interviewed and reintroduced me to someone else. I'll also tell you that I reached out to women that I knew and said, I'm doing this research, can you connect me with someone? And I am surprised, Well, I am not surprised, but women answered my call and they really reached out, and they referred me to folks whom they work with or people whom they know. You know, a couple of cases, a couple of women referred me to their husbands, and that's how I arrived at the thirties. So I owe a huge debt of gratitude not only to the thirty men, for saying yes, but to the people who referred me to them for them to open up and to share their story.
Speaker 1: Well, you've read of God and faith and how we get there. I know that faith for a lot of people, they show it publicly and a lot of people, especially in the corporate world, you can't really display your faith, you know. And so how have faith played a role in your life? And how do you allow it to be shared amongst people when you're delivering speaking and gave me or do you keep it within yourself?
Speaker 3: You know what, I have gotten to the point in life where I am not going to keep my faith to myself. That is a mean that I shouted from the rooftop when it's inappropriate, But it does mean when it is appropriate. I do not hide the fact that I believe. I'm a Christian and I believe in what I believe in. And so in the workplace, you know, there are opportunities in one on one conversations to weave in faith. There are times when people come to me and they want to close the door and have a confidential conversation and I will listen. I can tell if people believe in a higher being, and we can we can turn the conversation to that, and I can encourage them to be prayerful about whatever it is that they are concerned about. So I am not one to walk away from my faith. And it is crystal clear to me that you and I would not be having this conversation right now if the God that I choose to serve had not ordained all of it and set it into motion. So I am thankful for that, and I appreciate you giving me this chance to have this conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's really one that I want to have, you know. And I was speaking with a good friend like ylanda Adams gospel singing legend, and I was trying to get her to define the main difference between business and faith, and she said, rash on that one and the same, you know, because you know you you know, it's about efforts about applying, you know, consistency and a belief. You know, if you believe in your business, you believe in your faith. They are tied together. Is that something that you can relate to? When when she says that, because I really thought you had to separate them, now you trying to bring them together? She said, no, don't try to separate them, embrace them, and use them as dual motivation for your ultimate goal. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: If what she says makes sense, and I'm going to broaden it to work for me. So my faith is a part of my life and who I am, right, and I choose to not separate it as I go through life. So I choose not to separate it from what I do at work. I choose to not separate it from home and family and friends. It is all a part of who I am and part of what matters to me the most. So that's how I choose to look at it. I choose to not separate it out, but look at it as you know, the way that I am, and that's a huge part of who I am.
Speaker 1: I mean, let me ask you, doctor Wallington. You know DEI Diversity Equity inclusion. You know it's two years ago, was really hammered. Oh and even Elon Musk has an issue with DEI, and he's getting in public spats with basketball owner Apartment used to be the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. He recently sold the team about d I. Does d I water down the accomplishment of the that being achieved by c suite executives.
Speaker 3: I don't think it does at all, because remember, C suite executives were achieving things long before diversity equity inclusion as we understand it now was a real, real, real focus of conversation. So those achievements are what they are, and I celebrate those who've done them. I think now you know, diversity equity inclusion are a foundation for what folks are striving to achieve, and diversity equity inclusion, in my opinion, will always be important because there are gaps. There are clearly gaps between the world that we live in and function in the world that others are blessed to live in and function in, and so D and I simply acknowledges their gaps, and d and I says, here are ways that we can close those gaps by working together.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody has a title, No, every generation has a title. You know, Like when I grew up, I would just want to I'm asking you because you're in the game, you know, and sometim lose. I'll only just suspect I grew upative Affirmative action was the termed that I grew up with, you know, And it feels to me that DEI is affirmative action, isn't it?
Speaker 3: You know what that's I can see why you would say that, And I don't know that I have a point of view one way or the other. What I will continue to come back to is that there are gaps right right, They're clearly gaps between Again, I'm going to talk about what I know. If you look at the US corporations, you know there are gaps between positions of power. Who holds positions of power, who gets to make the decisions and doesn't get to make the decisions? Their gaps there. And so again, what I believe diversity, equity inclusion does is acknowledges that there are gaps, and it gives us a foundation upon which to simply have a conversation and say, if we all acknowledge their gaps, what are we going to do to close those gaps? And how can we work together to close those gaps?
Speaker 1: And the reason I brought up my listeners or let them know that, you know, it's so hard to achieve anything, especially when you are personal color, especially a person who's black, and especially if you're African American male. You know, not the water down the achievements and say it's easier for African American females. African American males do place a much more crisis role in pursuing opportunities in the corporate structure that's predominantly male driven by whites. You know, what is the hopes for the next generation of black executives, doctor Chuck Wallington.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you my hopes, and I'll tell you what the thirty men whom I talked to hope for. So the hope is that for those of us who are blessed to be in these roles now, that we will continue to do our very very best in what we have been asked to do and to leave the door open for the next generation of people who look like us. It's not enough to simply occupy these seats and lead. It is extremely important that we occupy these seats, that we're blessed to do well, and that we leave the door open so that others can come behind us and do even bigger and better work than we've been blessed to do.
Speaker 1: Go to this question. You know, the society were living in race is at its highest. I think racial issues of racial place itselfs out. The political climate is very racially driven, you know, is you know you either this side of the ledger or you this side of the ledger. How can we close that gap trying to move forward and just be recognized not that's the late doctor markin Luther King would say, not by the color of our skin, because it seems that we are still being judged by that and that's not fair because when I walk in the room, you know I'm not a white guy.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, I think the first way of closing the gap is to acknowledge that there's a problem. If there is a gap, and so there's that we have to acknowledge that there's a problem or challenge or an opportunity. The second is to then bring together the right people and say, if we acknowledge if there's a challenge or a gap, what are we willing to do as we work together to close the gap. And again I talk about that in the book towards the end. You're a if you're a CEO and you know that you don't have representation from black men on your leadership team or anywhere in your ranks, you know, first of all, you have to acknowledge as a challenge, and then you have to be willing to put together a plan that will bring in, you know, the right people, and then you have to support them along the way. You have to prop them up. You have to give them the infrastructure so that they will be successful. You have to also hold your other leadership colleagues accountable because if they have opportunities or openings in their areas, are they interviewing diverse slates of candidates to ensure that people who look like you and me have a chance to introduce these roles. If they are great. If they're not, that's a problem, and what's going to be done about that? So you know, that's one way to do it. Acknowledge that there's a gap or a problem problem, and then bring the right people together focused on generating solutions that will help the close.
Speaker 1: Wow, how can we find How can we find this book? Is it online? Is it the website? Help us out right down? The book I'm talking about is A Seat at the C, Seat at the Seat the Letter C Sweet Table. Insights from the Leadership journeys of African American Executives by doctor Chuck Wallington. How can we find it?
Speaker 3: This book is available online at Amazon or wherever you buy your books online, but I would suggest that folks go to Amazon and.
Speaker 1: Pink up a copy.
Speaker 3: Would love to have you do that.
Speaker 1: Well, Doctor Chuck Wallington and I and George's conversation, I hope we was moving for you. I learned a lot and it's about exposing people to the next level of opportunity and you're providing with this book. The book was a very very good read, and I recommend it to anybody who's interested in this form of knowledge and learning because we always want to take the next step. In your book allowed that through my reading.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. I appreciate the opportunity, and I wish you well, and I wish your readers well or your listeners well.
Speaker 1: Talk to you soon, and my friend, and be careful and stay warm.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: My next guest, my next guest, he's on the call right now. And let me just tell you I used to be a little chunky dude till I met this guy. So if you're concerned about losing weight, if you're concerned about how to do it and still have fun, and I have fun. He's my guests is coming up next. Don't go nowhere is New Year's Residu New Year's New Year's Resolution time. Everybody always said someone in wanting it's about I think the number one is weight loss. Where my next guest is the man to talk to. Please come back to Money Making Conversations Masterclass.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with through Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts