Speaker 1: The late fifteen to ten touched up Suck. What's up?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: Welcome into a special edition of Chargers Weekly, Live from Indianapolis, twenty twenty four, scouting Combine as was Joey by Mattmuddy Smith in the Flesh though, brother.
Speaker 3: I know exactly not not on a couple of TV screens in Indianapolis in the radio row if you will, area all the teams surrounding us. And this is Tuesday that we're doing this. So we had the Joe Ortise presser a little bit earlier. I have the one highlight Jim harbonugh not going to speak to the media in terms of people from the Chargers that will be.
Speaker 1: Doing Jim said enough February first hundred percent.
Speaker 3: So this has been and you know, to Jim's to quote him, this is the time that Joe is Batman. So this is when Batman is doing all the press. And that's what Joe was doing earlier today had his presser, did the CBS, the NBC, the Serious XM, all of those rounds had it chance to catch up with them a little bit after his presser, And I think it's worth just sort of setting the tone what we heard today and look, it's misinformation, it's misdirection, it's an agenda. There's so many things that go into what a team wants to present, and I think Joe did quite a bit of that from the podium today.
Speaker 1: He did seven AM pacifics, so it was early. A lot of you guys probably watched that on a replay. But you know, first of all, Joe's gonna tell us what he's gonna do. No, okay, there was a lot of questions about the cap and Keenan and Mike and Joey and Khalil and what they're going to do there, because that kind of sets the table for free agency. He did, I think, unprompted, talked about the wide receiver depth in the in the draft. Somebody asked them about the offensive tackle and offensive line depth, and obviously said good in both those fronts. But at number five overall, there's so many different things that they can do. And what JJ McCarthy and Michael Pennix and Bo Nix and the guys outside of the top three quard by what they do this week money could kind of dictate what other teams are thinking about the quarterback and maybe trade up for five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've done I don't know how many combines going way back to when actually when NFL Network really first jumped in with both feet. Unfortunately, they've gotten out of the pool and they don't do nearly as much as they used to. But I used to sit on the field and I remember in the Andrew Luck RG three draft that nobody wanted to throw, and you know, Andrew Luck went. You know, obviously RG three was going to run the forty. And Andrew Luck did everything and all of but he didn't want to throw. And so what my takeaway from that draft was Russell Wilson started throwing, and he started spinning it. And the next thing you know, Cousins Brandon Whedon gets out there and starts throwing and he wasn't supposed to throw, and Ryan Tannehill Rantanna was hurt so he couldn't. But then Kirk Cousin gets and next thing you know, you've got this competition, and this quarterback competition emerged. And so what I think we're going to see is while a lot of people are off out of the drills because they're locked into the top ten and perhaps there's nothing for them to gain in Thelik neighbors and Marvin Harrison, and obviously Caleb Williams and Jade and Daniels. I don't know if we've heard from Drake May yet or not. I don't know if he's thrown around. He may be, he may be, but uh and I retweet. I retweeted Dane Brugler, who does it for the athletic. He said, JJ McCarthy's got the spotlight, like it's all him. We've heard he's gonna ace the interviews, and he now has an opportunity to go out there and put on a show and perhaps improve his draft status of where he thought he might go. And I bring it up because I think that is best case scenario for the Chargers, is there are four quarterbacks, not three, Because I just don't it's hard for me to envision. I've said this repeatedly on the pot.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 3: Envision a scenario where it's not one, two three, where it's not Drake May, Jade and Daniels after Caleb Williams and you know, whichever order I ultimately think'll be Drake May second, Jayden Daniels third. But I just to me, that makes too much sense. It's just it lines up too well, they're all way too talented not to go one, two, three, and now you've got to figure out, you know. And what Dane had had tweeted out was he feels like there is enough buzz that it's beyond just trying to create something that one of these teams in the top thirteen, if you cap it at the Raiders and Broncos there at you know, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders in that order, one of those teams is gonna want JJ McCarthy and they're probably gonna have to trade up to get him. And that's that's what we're looking for.
Speaker 1: So if we're looking at obviously we know the Broncos and Raiders looking for a quarterback, but the teams that I think that we would prefer to trade with are teams like the Falcons at number eight overall, even the Giants at six, to move up a spot to ensure that you get the quarterback that you want because Daniel Jones may not be the guy beyond twenty twenty four. Maybe you pick up an extra second there and then you can kind of build in a crew from there. But I'm just looking at, you know, seeing Raheem Morris and tear Font. Knowing those guys they were here, you could tell that they feel like they're a quarterback away and maybe that is a JJ McCarthy or mich or maybe it's a Kirk Cousins, or maybe it's a that's a thing. It's a question of, you know, free agency is going to impact which of those teams. You know, I was talking with with Popper a little earlier, you know, we were breaking out the old Jimmy Johnson trade chart and trying to figure it out, and he was saying, Oh, I'd rather have a next year's number one from the Falcons instead of this year's number two. And to my point, I said, if that's you know what we're talking about, what I would then prefer to go down to eleven with Minnesota. With Minnesota so I can get the one and the two, Because if you're going eleven to five, you're gonna have to give up your two, and you're gonna have to give up next year's one and I And that's where I start to question, you know, how much can you really get for JJ McCarthy. I don't I don't know if a team would be comfortable giving up their first two picks in this draft, and there their number one next year. Now, if you're you know, you think about what the Texans did and all the incoming they took for trading back up to get will will Anderson because you know, Tamiko Ryans believed this is going to be the quarterback of our defense. This is going to change our culture, this is going to set the tone. And he was right because the number one that he traded for will Anderson was number twenty five overall or twenty six overall this year. Wherever that one comes in, uh that that Arizona ends up getting in lieu of will Anderson at number three overall. So I think it's again it just takes one team, and it's a team that maybe has that vision that JJ McCarthy is that special that can do the Chargers that favor of getting that extra top one hundred pick, maybe even two extra top one hundred picks if you don't want to hold him up for a one next year. So if you trade back with the Falcons at eight, you could probably still get a I A agree or neighbors he's got three or four seven.
Speaker 3: I just Dunsa is going to put on a show like I've I've talked to enough people there. He is going to put on a show. He's going to probably run a sub four four and he's gonna run it at six foot two, two hundred and fifteen pounds, and he's gonna he is going to light the freaking drills on fire.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing. Okay, So if that's the case, you get four quarterbacks gone and you have all three wide receivers.
Speaker 3: Well three, I think, I think you're guaranteed three, and I just I feel like, yeah, I feel like a Douneesay, Neighbors, and Harrison are probably going to be the next three guys off the board unless the team wants to trade up. I think that's what you're gonna see as quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, unless somehow McCarthy works his way into that. So if that's the case, then yes, you could trade back to eight and perhaps get yourself either Neighbors or a Duneesay. I just you know, if you look at the Titans and you think about how it's it's one of the worst offensive lines in football, it'd be very hard for them to pass on a Joe alt or a Fashano someone to set at least get them on track on their offensive line. That's just kind of the one wild card in that that could then end up seeing you get one of the wide receivers to sip. But I again, I go back to what Joe said, Joe Ortiz said at the presser, and that's a really deep wide receiver class, and I just think there's more value to me just knowing what the premium of a position is. And you know, we talked I think we talked about this last week, Chris. Where you know when you're when you have the same great you know, if if you can, if you've got your horizontal you've got your horizontal boards right, so it's positioned by position. So here's your tackles, here's your wide receivers, here's your tight ends, here's your corners. And then you've got your verticals of how you rank each of those position groups. And then typically on a board over here, you'll have your vertical one fifty. So if I'm looking at this vertical one fifty and I've got all my grades, you know, here here's a six nine, a sixty seven, This guy's a six ' four. This guy's a six two and I'm now getting into the five. You've got to think about what the gap is. But on your wide receiver rankings, on your corner rankings, on your tackle rankings. To me, those are the three big positions for this team this draft, right, and that's what's going to dictate. Hey, if we don't, if we don't, you know, draft roma doun say at number five, how do we feel about Troy Franklin? How do we feel about one of the Texas receivers? About Polk from Washington? About you know, Thomas isn't kind of slide into the second round, But like that's what you got to start asking yourself versus how do we feel about this tackle versus one of Fuaga, Fashanu, all Latham, you know that group that we feel good about getting even if we trade all the way back to to thirteen or fifteen or.
Speaker 1: Something like that. So it seems like I don't know if there is a consensus at tackle. Maybe it's all you know, I feel like if you had to pull most people, it would be all at number one in terms of tackle. But when you get to eight or ideally eleven, you're in Brock Bauers territory too. There you are, like, so, so maybe you can get a guy like Brock Bowers. But before you even try to put that puzzle together, Joe's got some cap issues to deal with, starting with Keenann and Mike Williams. And how is that going to shake out? And how does that dictate how you rework the wide receiver room? Joey and Khalil, who you're gonna put on the other side of Tooley next year? Are both guys going to be gone? Is one guy gonna stick around? Those are all these questions that are going to be answered the next couple of weeks, then free agency, and then based on what you did in free agency, I think you can really start to put the pieces of the draft together.
Speaker 3: So what I got a lot of, you know, a lot of correspondence with the kite, the cap spiking as much as it did. Nobody expected it to go up thirty million bucks. They may be expected four to five million. Chargers are still in fifty five million dollars a cap. Hell that they've got to restructure thirty million bucks means they are now only thirty five million dollars have KEP But so They're like, well, does that you know, And a lot of people are asking, does that mean they can keep Joey? Does that mean they can keep Khalil and maybe even Mike Lintz. Yeah, it does. But the first thing that I thought of is that now opens that trade door a lot more than it had before when you add the thirty million dollars. Now maybe there is a team that did not anticipate having that thirty million bucks that can immediately plug in Joey Bosa's thirty million dollars and they're happy to give you a Day two pick, you know, a second or a third.
Speaker 1: Or Khalil's the missing piece for exactly.
Speaker 3: Or Khalil, And now you can trade a third or a fourth for Khalil Mack and that completely changes the dead cap situation for the Chargers. Now you'll probably have to maybe take a little bit of that money on, and however much you take on can determine, you know, what kind of pick you're getting back. But that's the first thing I thought of, is now, where maybe you had a very limited number of people that would be willing to engage in a trade for one of those players, maybe now they're open to it. They're a little more open to it. So and maybe now you can restructure mic and make it a little more friendly and cross your fingers and hope he stays healthy, and you know, maybe I can think. The thing that's interesting about Mike is like, I get what they were doing by playing him inside and trying to move Keenan outside, and let's just mix up our looks and let's pressure the defense more. But just Mike's just a straight line runner, man. He's a straight line fifty to fifty guy. He's so tall, and when you put him inside, you just you invite those sort of injuries to happen with all that traffic in there. So I think that's one where it'd be an interesting discussion, like, hey, was this a product of maybe is talented as he is. We get what you're thinking, but ultimately you don't want him in that mix in there. That's where bad things happen. So it'll be interesting. Getting the extra thirty million bucks and that was the big breaking news from this last week certainly changes the discussion. But I think it changes it on both sides. Teams that are willing to give up draft capital for your players, and what can the Chargers now do with these guys.
Speaker 1: Because of the wide receiver depth. Though it also leads the question of, hey, do you just kind of reset Justin Herbert's weapons now right? Get guys on rookie deals. Quentin's already in his rookie deal year two, and you know, we'll talk to Sam Watson about a ton of draft stuff here coming up, but can you kind of reset what Justin's weapons look like with a brock Bauers with with a Neighbors or a doing say with some of these guys in the second and third round because of the depth, and really have these guys on cost controlled deals while Justin's contract is so you know, gigantic. You know, you kind of reset the market in terms of who you have at your pass catchers, retool the running game, and then defensively. You know, we'll get into some of the maybe the Michigan guys that you can get in the draft and what you'll do in free agency. But I just think it's an interesting conversation and nothing can really be said until we know what Keenan and Mike look like twenty twenty four and beyond me.
Speaker 3: I think that And there's also a name that's as interesting, if not more. And that's Josh Palmer, you know, if you want to try to do an extension with him right now? And I look, I believe Josh is a top easily he can be a two. You know, if he's a one, he can be a Keenan like one on an offense. Right, So to me, that's an interesting one. You know that no one's talking about. He's coming up on the last year of his deal. Do you want to avoid him going into an unrestricted free agency or is Josh Palmer that perfect comp pit guy where you think he's going to have a big year, he goes into free agency coming off a monster year, gets signed elsewhere, and now you're looking at a third round comp pick because he's a one thousand plus yard receiver with eight plus touchdowns and he signs a big money deal somewhere.
Speaker 1: That probably makes more sense because these guys haven't had they haven't got their hands on Josh yet, they've seen the tape exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's that's the question. Though, Is that more of a value than Hey, Josh, how about how about three years thirty eight million bucks? How's that sound to you? You know, three years thirty five million bucks. You know, let's get a little bit of money in your pocket. You're not going to break the bank with a thirty million dollars a year wide receiver type contract. But we're comfortable enough. And now you've got Quinton on a rookie deal. You've got Palmer at an INCREDI affordable number, Keenan at a spot in his career where clearly he's not gonna have the same you know, if you just keep his number where it is now that's up and you've completely reset it.
Speaker 1: Similar to what Tom did with Austin, right, he kind of said, hey, you know what, we want you a charger. We're gonna give you a nice little.
Speaker 3: Bump twenty eight million bucks over four years. It's not twelve million a year, but it's your set for life, yea, you know, it's generational money.
Speaker 1: Then he outplayed it, and then that's what happened. But that's what happened exactly. Hey, we have a great interview with Sam monson PFF coming up in tons of interviews all week, but without further ado here Sam all right money as promised. Sam Monson PFF joins us here live from Indianapolis and Sam, we've talked about the Chargers at nauseum, obviously with Joe Hortiz speaking at the podium. Your thoughts on this team now with hardball, horts and tow and the number five overall pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think they're gonna be one of the most interesting teams in the NFL because of that right and new regime, one of the most compelling names the NFL at the head of the whole thing and draft capital. You know, they're picking up at the top, and they're picking up at the top with without a quarterback need. You know, in a draft where quarterbacks could go one, two, three, So they're gonna have this prime pick to get one of the best, one of the top blue chip players in the draft, probably, you know, in a position of need.
Speaker 3: We heard in his intro presser. You know, compicks was a big theme of Georgie's You know how Baltimore's drafted all these years. Sam, So some have described it as top heavy blue chip at number five, What do you think makes the most sense for when you look at the Chargers roster, if there is a willing partner, you can pick up an extra maybe second, maybe even a future one, depending on how far you go back. Would you take the blue chip at five or would you be looking to say, get somewhere inside the top fifteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it always depends a little bit exactly who's there.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I think generally speaking, they're going to be in a position where they can get one of the best wide receivers in this draft. And if you assume Marvin Harrison Junior will be the number one guy, he'll get h three, he'll go four, He'll probably be gone by five. In any other year, I think Melik Neighbors or Roma Dunze would be wide receiver one. You know, it's only because Marvin Harrison Junior is there that those guys probably won't be this year. So you know, you could look at it and say, well, we're drafting wide receiver two or three at this spot. But I think in any other year you're drafting wide receiver one. Right, you're drafting a top tier talent of that spot. So that's not to say you don't move off that if somebody's willing to offer or something crazy and you don't have to drop back that far, you know, maybe you could get the other one right, Maybe you could draft Melik Neighbors at five and Roma Dunze at nine or ten or whatever. And I think that's still a deal you should take if that's on the table. But you know, I think either way, they're in a good situation.
Speaker 1: Sam when you look at five, let's say they move out right, the difference between a Maleague Neighbors in Rome with Dunza as opposed to a Brian Thomas or some of these other wide receivers. Knowing that Justin Herbert is your quarterback, right typically, you know, if you have a blue chip wide receiver five, you probably want to take that guy. But because Justin's your quarterback, because you can accrue some other picks, what's the the gap between those first three guys and then four through whoever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny. I mean there's there's two different ways of looking at it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: There's the let's evaluate them all as prospects, let's put them through the grading system, let's sort of figure out where we think they live.
Speaker 6: And then there's let's remember Pooka and Akua.
Speaker 4: He's the best wide receiver in you know, in the rookie class, and all this might be irrelevant, like we might be talking about a guy in the sixth round that's the best guy in this draft as well. So I think when you look at them, there is a gap between adun Say neighbors Marvin Harrison Junior and the next group. I'm higher on Oregon's Troy Franklin than a lot of people. I think he's closer to that trio than most people do. But after that, I do think that that you see a drop off. They're just not as It's not that they don't have the skill set, they're just not as consistent. They don't have the clean bill of health in terms of all areas of of being a high level prospect. But I do think this is a really strong wide receiver draft class. It's deep as well, and you know, given how much success we're seeing of wide receivers just come into the NFL, hit the ground running, translate really well and doing it all the way through recent drafts. Not just Pooka and Akua, but you know, Tank Dell was a third rounder, looked amazing before he broke his leg. I think if you can get more swings at the at the bat, take it.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, we were at Joe Ortiz's presser a little bit earlier, and I don't think he was. It wasn't solicited. I think he just offered it up. He talked about the depth of the wide receiver group and how every single year since he's been doing this, there are more and more because of the style of play of college football. So I don't know if that's an indicator if he's planting a seed. But I think for the folks listening because you know, they want the shiny toy, they want the running back, the tight end, the wide receiver. They don't get too excited about offensive line. But and listening to Greg Roman and listen to Jim Harbaugh, even Joel Hortiz, that to me, that is being signaled that like, that's sort of what they would like to do. So in all of your evaluations at PFF, SAM, how deep is this tackle class? If you can think back historically, how often do you see top tackles drafted outside of the first dround?
Speaker 1: Right? For me, I feel like we just don't see that.
Speaker 4: So I think this is a deeper tackle class than it usually is. Since PFF has been great in college football, so that goes back to twenty fourteen, I feel like it's been a very barren stretch of offensive tackles coming into the NFL generally, and multiple times we've kind of looked at the landscape pre draft and we're like, there aren't good tackles in this draft, Like where are all these guys. This is a better year than that, and it's deeper than that as well. So it's a reasonably good offensive tackle draft class. But no position is like wide receiver at the moment, where there's just so many of these guys so deep. Like we're going through, you know, doing our draft study and you're like twenty guys deep and you're finding receivers you still like, you know, and then yeah, and even then you're getting beyond that, there's people like, wow, you got to watch this guy, Like I haven't even looked at him yet. I mean, Puka and Akul last year was somebody that the PFF data had identified that that the tape was good obviously, and you know, we we didn't really get deep enough into his tape to sort of fully appreciate what he was. But it's not like he wasn't a guy that like there was no evidence that said he was gonna be good the next Lecal it was all there we just didn't get that deep. Like that's what the wide receiver draft class is looking like these days. So and I love what the Green Bay Packers tend to do as an organization in terms of, Okay, we need a wide receiver. We're not gonna take one, We're gonna take two or three, and then maybe it's not the guy that we thought was the best one ends up being the guy like Dontavian Wicks was their best rookie wide receiver. So I love that as a strategy as well. Maybe we don't take a receiver at five, maybe we trade down, but then we're gonna draft two or three of them and one of the guys is gonna end up being the player that we needed to be.
Speaker 1: Just stick with wide receiver. The Chargers have decisions to make on Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, and you know we're a you're removed from drifting Quinton Johnston in the first round. What was the grade that you guys had on Quinton, Because forgive me, I don't have it up, but just drops were obviously the problem with Quinton this year. Can you see him rebounding in a new offense under Jim Harble.
Speaker 4: I think there's a skill set there that can work. I think he's clearly a limited wide receiver. He's not, you know, a complete total package, a true number one guy, but he does have things that he does really well.
Speaker 6: He's big, he's strong, he's fast.
Speaker 4: The weirdly, the best thing that he does is catch a hitch, immediately turn up field and use like direct line acceleration speed and that kind of thing. I was a lot lower than him on him than most people. Given last year's draft class, it was really deep, but it did it wasn't as top heavy as this year's group, So I still think he belonged, you know, in the top four or five guys.
Speaker 6: I think I still had him number three.
Speaker 4: I'm perpetually kicking myself that I didn't have the guts to put Tank Dell above him in my rankings. I had Johnson three, Tank Dell four, and I couldn't bring myself to put a five foot eight, one hundred and sixty pound guy ahead of Quinton Johnson. I was like, no, he must be better than that. But I think we saw last season. You know, there's not enough to his game yet. But wide receiver is a position where a very flawed type of player can still have a really good role because you don't have to be a complete player. You can do three things. And if all you can do is three things, we can find a way of making that work. Now, you can't have a whole receiving core that can only do that, because that then the jigsaw puzzle doesn't work. But if we have one guy that is very limited, is very flawed, but can do a couple of things really well, we can fit that in. So I think there's still a role to be played for Johnson, but you're gonna need to build the receiving corps around him and then slot him into the puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The worst thing was that Mike Williams got hurt because if there's one thing that Clinton wasn't it was Mike Williams. Yeah, tracking the ball over his head, catching the ball that that's just you know, deep balls in that particular situation, just was that was his app weakness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now you needed to push him into a role that he just wasn't suited for.
Speaker 3: Uh, you mentioned the nugs. You know, you guys, you and Steve on the on the pod always come up with with players that you identified that other people, you know, may be lower on the one that I think of that Steve just would pound and you know, good for him. Was Christian Barmore, like he was just bar more part NonStop? Who is it this year? Have you identified the sam player that that you are much higher on than everyone else?
Speaker 4: I think Jalen Polk might be that guy, the Washington wide receiver. Everyone's focusing on a Dunza. Jalen Polk was a guy that jumped off the tape as much as a Dunze when you were watching Washington tape.
Speaker 6: I think when I went through and did the.
Speaker 4: Sort of whole wide receiver group, I was a little bit less high on him than I thought I was going in just because of the sort of highlights that I caught. But he's a really good player, I think. And he's good at the right things, Like he separates well, he gets open, he understands how to how to beat man En zone coverage. And he's sort of bigger. He's bigger and stronger than people think he is. Like he gets kind of pegged as a smaller slot guy that's not madonze. He's like six two to ten, Like he's prototypical. Yeah, it's like prototypical wide receiver size. So I think he's gonna be a guy that I'm higher on the most people.
Speaker 1: Eighteen Michigan guys are here. Yeah, eighteen Michigan guys are good. In fact that Jim Harball is the head coach. If you had to identify maybe like two or three that would fit really well based on Jesse Minner being the DC and some of the needs that the Chargers have. Who would those guys be even early mid rounds whatever? I mean.
Speaker 4: I think the most obvious one is actually sticking with wide receivers. It's Roman Wilson and he people are talking about him gonna run extremely quickly at the combine as well. He had an amazing senior ball during the practices as well, and his tape is good, Like you look at the tape, you're not again like Pukinakua. It's not hidden, like this guy has had a really good college career and it fits in need and it means that maybe you don't either don't use number five on one of those receivers, or you come back again in the mid rounds and grab a guy like Roman Wilson and unlet's double up and add two playmakers instead of one.
Speaker 1: What about defense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean defense. I think that group is insanely good. Obviously we saw it a year ago. I'm you know, the Chargers have got some holes, so I think they could definitely dip into the Michigan well and grab a couple of those guys.
Speaker 3: It's not a sexy, but you know it's not. Maybe it will be a forty, but Chris Jenkins is gonna put on a show. Yeah, he is going to put on a show at the Combine. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's snuck into the first round when it's I mean, I know the measurables aren't quite there, he's not quite as tall, but my god, he's just gonna explode on that field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's just a great example of a guy where I don't think the measurables mean that much. You know, his tape is amazing. He's just a good football player. We know what his dad was able to do in the NFL. He's gonna be good.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to the tackles because I just I don't know, I have this feeling that that's and I don't know if it's interior, if it's a center in the second round, if they add a second second rounder and use those two to trade back into the first round of Powers Johnson is available, but just kind of where you have where you and everyone at PFF, if you want to, you know, I guess speak for them as well, have kind of the tackles stacked, knowing that they've got it. And I believe that that Rashaun Slater can can be the best offensive lineman in football at some point in his career. So if he's stacked, if he's locked in at left, if you're drafting the right tackle, or let's just say you trade back far enough where Powers Johnson becomes a serious conversation. What do you see on that right side? Are you comfortable in what you've seen from all to flip him to the right side? Is it fuaga because he's your natural sort of road greater right? Like, what would you do at right tackle? Or would you take that center knowing that Corey Linsley's probably going to retire right?
Speaker 4: I mean Powers Johnson really the only read the only red flag negative about him is injuries, you know, which is a question mark his tape is insane, his production is nuts. He's going to be an amazing player as long as he's healthy, but that is a factor. You know, he got injured at the Senior Bowl. He's he's an injury question mark at this point. The right tackles are interesting, Like I think, generally, if you're taking a player in the draft, you can probably assume that you can move him to right tackle day one with no issue. Right as a general fault starting position. Now, not everybody is going to be able to make that switch. There are going to be guys where it just doesn't work for some reason. You know, they're incredibly one sided and it just doesn't function swipt swapping them over. But generally speaking, I think it does and as long as you do it day one, it's not a problem. The problems start to occur. I think when you take a guy that's played one side, you know, in the NFL for a long period of time, and then you start messing around asking him to flip sides, that I think can become a problem.
Speaker 6: But you know, I don't.
Speaker 4: I think now the two positions are the same. It's not that you know, in traditional senses, you would if you go back a few years. You would look at Olo Fashionu from Penn State and Fuaga from Oregon State, and you're like prototypical left tackle, prototypical right tackle. You know, footwork, pass protection, little bit of a weakness maybe as a run blocker. And then on the other side you got road grading monsters as a run blocker, and if he has a weakness, it's going to be in the past pro side. I don't think that exists anymore. They just happen to fall into the stereotypes that they'll work. That being said, if you've got two guys that are equal, take the guy that's already playing in that position. Because you don't have that variable, you're not adding an extra question mark to it. So you know, I think all three of those guys are elite level tackle prospects. Fashion News pass protection, his footwork is insane. I think Joe Altrom Notre Dame is like the best composite where he's just good at everything. He's a massive body, like six ' eight, he's just huge, great technician, strong, and then Fuaga is this guy who he's got the offensive line equivalent of that the touch of death that MMA guys talk about right where he hits you, You're dumber, right, he gets his hands on you in the run game, forget it, you're out of the play game over. And he's good enough as a pass blocker. He's not this like liability at that side. So I think any of those guys are honestly in play. Maybe not quite at five. I maybe I'm just being falling into that stereotype trap. But for I go at five feels a little rich. The other two guys I think are definitely live options.
Speaker 1: There sam the two hot names among Arder fans. We read about it every week. It's brock Bauers and it's Molak Neighbors. Kay give me your thirty second elevator pitch on each guy.
Speaker 6: I mean, elite Neighbors is incredibly good.
Speaker 4: He's a technician, he's got prototypical size speed, play after the catchability. The only thing that scares me at all about Neighbors is he doesn't use his hands at the line of scrimmage to defeat press. He like shrugs his shoulders and tries to get a round press. You can't do that in the NFL. Like, that's gonna have to be fixed, But it's a fix that can be made.
Speaker 6: It's not a difficult thing.
Speaker 4: So that's the only thing I think that's any in any way, shape or form a negative or a concern for him. Brock Bauers incredible playmaker. He's undersized for the tight end position. I think he'll end up weighing about what he's listed at, which is like two forty five something like that. I don't know if he actually is that size. I mean, we were at the Super Bowl. Who's a picture of him standing next to Gronk. Yeah, we talk to those are not those human beings are not the same size, right, very big difference. But he's more of a move tight end. He's more of a receiving type player. I think the biggest thing working against him is the Kyle Pitts thing hasn't worked out yet. Yeahright, And the last time we took a tight end this high, it hasn't quite all come together. He's got that kind of ability though. He's an amazing route runner. He's great after the catch, he's great just generally receiving.
Speaker 6: He should be a top ten pick, maybe top five.
Speaker 4: Teams are scared away from that because of the size and the fact the last guy we took that high hasn't.
Speaker 3: Been a superstar. Last thing, Sam will let you go. We appreciate it. Running back I know is fallen out of favor. It's not a sex So you had a nice run last year with Timir Gibson and be Sewn Robinson. Does not seem like we have that this year. I don't know how much work you guys have done already. I know the drafts little ways away on running back, but Eckler's a free agent, Joshua Kelly's a free agent. Isaiah Spiller has found himself inactive on game days. Thoughts about the backs in this draft and maybe where if you need a Bellkow and that's the route you're gonna go where you should start thinking about drafting when and if that person exists.
Speaker 4: It's funny, this is like the perfect analytics draft for running backs, right because there is no first round draft pick. There's no Bjehon Robinson in this draft. But there's a ton of guys that in the mid rounds I think are gonna be good NFL players. And it's you know, it's where analytics says that's where you start looking for running backs anyway, So I think in a way it's a perfect draft for that kind of thing. There's no consensus. I don't think in terms of who the number one, number two guy is. I think Blake Korum from Michigan is a a perfect like he's my number one back in this draft. I think he's the best guy. Last year wasn't as good coming off that knee injury. But you go back and watch the twenty twenty two tape. I have a play that I tweeted the last couple of days. It's just ridiculous, Like there's a freeze frame where there's four or five guys around him and he just makes a cut, goes underneath them all and scores, like hases it from fifty yards away. There's a lot of Austin Eckler in his tape, so you know, if you're trying to replace that guy with the Michigan connection, he's an amazingly explosive player. Maybe he doesn't have the top end speed. You know, he hits the rev limitar pretty quickly once he gets away from people. But it's kind of like the Barry Sanders thing right, Like you might catch him from behind eighty yards into the play, but at that point he's eighty yards downfield.
Speaker 6: And who cares.
Speaker 4: Blake Korms I think similar like, you might get him, but he'll be fifty yards away from the line of scrimmage at the time he did, so he's great. Jonathan Brooks from Texas is a lot of people's number one, but he's coming off a knee injury, and if you need him to play day one and be the starter, maybe that's not the right you want to go. But I also think there's a ton of guys lower down that are amazing sleepers. Will Shipley from Clemson. I think it was an amazing player, has great vision, incredibly shifty. Reminded me a little bit of Christian McCaffrey in terms of there's so many plays where it looks like he's about to take a massive shot and then somehow just takes a slight step, slight roll and just gets beyond it and keeps going. He could be a great sort of mid round sleeper that ends up being like a bell Cat type of player quite early.
Speaker 3: All right, I know I said last thing, but I gotta get what I believe is you might be able to deem this racist because.
Speaker 6: Great perfect starts. Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Interview has been great, so far Budy, Let's just stop it now. Did you watch Six Nations on Netflix? Did you watch the documentary?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Where do you come out on people asking you about Ireland rugby and expecting you to be an expert in that?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 6: Do?
Speaker 1: You love Ireland rugby? You love Six Nations? What did you make?
Speaker 5: I mean?
Speaker 4: Look, expert is a word that gets people into trouble. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Irish rugby. Yeah, I'm fine. I thought that documentary wasn't great. It was I figured they didn't They didn't get a ton of access and they didn't really do anything new, and it's from a tournament that happened a year ago, so it's like, yeah, what am I getting out of this? They also so a lot of the personalities you know that they zoomed in on as the sort of focal point. We're boring as hell people, So that didn't help. That being said, the Six Nations is going on right now. Ireland are three for three, We're going to win it again, hopefully, We're ideally going to get a back to back Grand Slam, and therefore all is right with the world, and we just don't mention the World Cup that happened between those things.
Speaker 3: How big of a like, if you could put it in NFL terms, how big of a star was I forgot his same the guy that just three salmon? Yeah, how big of a star was he in that particular sport in Ireland?
Speaker 4: So he's he was arguably the best Welsh player in their nation. He's one of the biggest youngest stars in the kind of northern Hemisphere rugby. He's, you know, as big as it gets in terms of a young up and coming superstar, like on the scene in NFL terms, we're talking b John Robinson, We're talking like a legit superstar on what he's doing is unprecedented. Guys have tried to make that switch before. Nobody at his level, at his age has tried to get the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not coming over at thirty, right, he's twenty three rugby to try to play he's twenty three.
Speaker 4: I mean he was playing for Gloucester in England. He could have walked to France where all the money is, or Japan where all the money is, and had like he could have been one of the top five best paid players in the world. That he's taking a run at this knowing that even if it doesn't go well, he can come back at twenty five and still have that deal waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Right, Sam, before you go pub the PFF tools, because we've been doing mock draft simulators and all the fun stuff on PFF tel the fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mock draft simulator. You can go there, play at GM to your heart's content. I think thirty MDS is the promo code for thirty percent off that as well, so you can get in on the on the cheap and spend your entire offseason fixing your team with the mock drafts in that real.
Speaker 1: Quick February twenty seventh, the Chargers pick who number five.
Speaker 4: I think they end up with neighbors. I think that's the most likely one. Neighbors or trade down at MARMA two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go, and we're gonna start it three rounds by draft. Ready, go, there we go. Let's see we are on the clock. We've got neighbors alt A dooneza fu waga. Well let's just leave it between alt neighbors and A dudes.
Speaker 6: He just neis, Yeah, we gotta go neighbors.
Speaker 1: Want to go? Neighbors all right, So we're drafted neighbors and here we go. Charger fans be happy with that. Yeah, they're gonna love you.
Speaker 3: Second round we are looking at let's see boy, go Chop Robinson edge opposite to Lee being interesting. We have a uh, you can get your tackle here in the the Bruce Feldman freak list.
Speaker 6: I would go one of those edge rushers, John Robinson or Darius I.
Speaker 1: Like, CHOP's a big ten guy. Jim's Jim's face Chop all right?
Speaker 4: Or hang on, wait wait, wait, wait wait what how can we possibly how can we possibly leave JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 6: Saying he's the number one player in the draft.
Speaker 3: All right, we're drafting shop. Whoops, didn't mean to open up the profile, which is always great though, just to make sure we're drafting the right guys. So we draft Chop and now we get to the third round. We have need uh on the offensive line, we get Junior. Yeah, run here, there we go. That's where our Michigan runs Starling and Dyone Henley and Junior moving forwards. P perfect, Yeah, it's we. We always tell people to check out the mock draft simulator. We do it every week on the pod. Sam We appreciate it anytime. Thanks for having the best man. Thanks, and now that Sam has got up and walked away, we can mention the real reason we had them on because we want an invite to the open barred Saint Elmos and the PFF party tomorrow night. So you know a little bit of a trade off there. We put you on for twenty five minutes, we plug your product and then you reward us with free shrimp cocktail with extra spicy Horse Radish sauce and free beer.
Speaker 1: I'll be there. That's how we make this thing work all right for the show. Jordan Reed joins us here on Chargers Weekly, and Jordan has been a minute man. Congrats on all your success and I know that this is a big week for you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, thank you guys for having me on. It is always a pleasure, and this is like the lead up to Christmas for me. I'm so excited to get the fellowship with everybody, figure out some information about all the prospects and then just realizing them reaching their dreams is just this awesome.
Speaker 3: I guess the difference is you got to work on Christmas. Your Christmas is a working day for you. How much in your experience, how much changes like between combine pro day, what you're hearing through the interviews, how much movement realistically do you think you see and are their position groups that tend to move more than others.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean with the quarterbacks, you always want to see if they're gonna throw or not. And that's more so for our entertainment. You love to see them go out there and be competitive. But if they don't throw, it's not really a huge deal to NFL teams, just because they understand that the advantageous things that could happen with that. I mean, some guys that you're throwing to, you maybe have met them for the first time when you're connecting flight coming here. Yeah, so just understanding that there is some advantages to it, but also some disadvantages for it as well. And then offensive lineman. I love seeing the offensive lineman going out there and competing, especially in the drills and things of that nature. You get to see who your true leaders are, who's outspoken, who's more so laid back, and the DB's as well. You get to see their hips and how fluid they are too.
Speaker 1: George, what's the lead in this draft in terms of the position grips. We know the quarterbacks, it looks like maybe three going the top five. But outside of those three quarterbacks, you know, what are you looking at from a position standpoint, just kind of being the lead of this draft.
Speaker 2: Offensive tackle and then also a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: Those are your two positions that are absolutely loaded in We may not see a defensive guy go inside of the top ten, which is something that we haven't seen in a very long time. So this draft class is really led by the offensive tackles and then also the wide receivers in I know neighbors in Marvin Harrison Junior. They're not performing here, but you're gonna get to see plenty of other guys, whether it's a Rome or Dunze, and then some of the other guys. Adne Mitchell's another from Texas that will get to see a lot as well. So both of those positions I think are going to be the headliner of this class.
Speaker 3: What do you think the likelihood is that either JJ McCarthy or a fourth quarterback ends up working his way into let's say, well, how about number five where the Chargers sitting, Because I think that's what Joe Ortiz would like to see that the team would be willing to trade all the way up to five. Do you think that's a possibility, And if so, like what kind of percentage of a possibility do you think that is.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 5: I will put it at like thirty percent right now. But once again, there's always that fourth quarterback that just makes the ascension of the draft board as we go along, and I think JJ is going to be that guy, especially with him electing to throw him being young, just turning twenty one years old in January, and then what I like to call the thrill of the unknown with him, just because there's always those coaches that feel they have the secret ingredients to uncover that next layer of a quarterback's development. And JJ's really unproving as a passer. I mean, he played in twenty eight he had twenty eight career starts, he only had twelve of where he had twenty five or more passing attempts in those and he's one of the highest of moments that you can think of. But for the Chargers, I think that's going to work in their favor, especially they have five teams right after them that have big holes at quarterback, whether it's the Giants, at six, the Falcons at eight, and then that stretch of eleven through thirteen with the Vikings, the Broncos and then the Raiders of where they could trade up for a quarterback. So the Chargers are sitting in a really good spot if they want to trade back.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of needs on this team right now, especially when you're bringing a new GM or new head coach. And you know, we talk about the offensive line, the wide receiver. Defensively, though, you know, corner is a position that they're gonna have to replenish. When you look at this corner class, what are your kind of twenty thousand foot view thoughts and can he get a guy in the early second that could be a Day one starter? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: Now there's not that Devin Witherspoon and some of the other players that we saw in last year's draft class, but I think the depth through the third round is really good for this outside corner group. And you mean, you're gonna hear names like Cam Hard of Notre Dame that could go somewhere in that top seventy five. Kyrie Jackson from Oregon is another that could be a third round.
Speaker 2: Pick as well. So the depth of the outside corner class is really good.
Speaker 3: What about rock powers like where it really does seem to be one of the great mysteries. It's not fair to maybe point to Kyle Pitts as to why you wouldn't take him, But just when you're grading him, when you're reviewing him, just on his talent, you know, the super Bowl picture that's making the rounds to him, nobody looks good standing next to Rock, But like, what is your evaluation of him? What if you're just doing your vertical where where does he fit in high impact player?
Speaker 5: And I think he's more so of a receiving tight end as opposed to with inline blockers. So you have to treat Brock like he's strictly a receiver. He's not gonna give you a lot of value in line. He's not gonna be like George Kiddle or anybody like that that's just destroying guys. As a run blocker, he's not gonna be what I call a plus one for your run game right away. But if you're strictly evaluating him as a receiver, I definitely think he's worthy of a top ten pick.
Speaker 2: Now top five. That's a little bit touchy.
Speaker 5: Just because you want more so of a player that's gonna help you at a premium position. But with Bowers, he's definitely gonna help you right away. But with tight end, we've seen so many of those highly drafted guys really fail their first few years in the league. And I think with the Chargers they need that player that's gonna help them right away, just because when I think of Jim Rball, I think of somebody that's gonna come in and try to change the landscape and the culture of that team right away. And I don't know if Bowers is gonna do that right away at a premium position.
Speaker 3: So I'd love to follow up because this is I think it's something that people kind of I feel like our listeners struggle to kind of reconcile it when you say he's a receiving tight end. I just I think of the's of Sam Laporta last year. You can make the case he was the most important pass catcher on the Lions last year. How is it that that particular position. I'm trying to think the best way to put it. You know, we think of Travis Kelcey as receiving tight end. How does that impact your football team. How is that like a better Let's just say you're sticking and picking at five him as a pass catcher versus Roma Dunes. Say it's a pass catcher Elik Neighbors as a pass catcher. Where is that value because he's a tight end instead of a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: It comes down to the financial specifics the things then, just because when you're taking a tight end inside the top ten, he's probably gonna be probably in like the top twelve range as far as where he's getting paid. But now we're seeing wide receivers get over you know, twenty five thirty million dollars a year. So I would rather have that control cost wide receiver for four to five years as opposed to the tight end. Now, all those guys are going to contribute right away, but we're talking about the financial specifics of everything, and we know with the chargers they're in a cap situation of where they may have to share some salaries at some certain positions. They're not in the best cap situation. So I would rather have that wide receiver that has a little bit more high end talent that's more cost control.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that cap situation, you look at edge Shoey, Bosa Khalil Mack. Decisions need to be made and made soon. Kind of a two part question Tully to a Pilow, two Yeah, burst it onto the scene. Do you remember what you thought of him last year? I know that when you have to evaluate a ton of guys at twenty twenty four, some of that stuff goes out the window. But Tully first, and then is there another guy in the second, third, fourth round that you could pair with Tully and be kind of that future? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I remember evaluating Touley. I loved him a lot.
Speaker 5: He was really productive his final year at USC and I mean he could have kept all this stuff in his dorm room and right over to the Charges. So it was good that he ended up getting drafted by the Chargers. He ended up working out for him, so he was a really good player. And then some defensive ends that I like. Lisa Isaac of Fenn State. He's one that I like quite a bit. I think he's one that is going to be a really big tester. And if you're looking more so of a late round guy, Gabriel Murphy of UCLA. He's one that's a little bit undersized, but he could help right away.
Speaker 1: Keep him home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh the Murphy's only one terrible, But it's just the way, yeah it is. You mentioned the defensive you know, just it's an offensive heavy draft. Does that mean that defense is and is highly graded for you or is it just that those groups really stand out this year as opposed to there's a lack of or is there a lack of edge, interior, defensive line, linebacking, corner, safety, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, money, I think it's just how good this offensive class is. You have the offensive tackles that are really deep, the wide receivers we could see as many as seven from each position go in the first round. And then you have the quarterbacks, the top three guys at the top that could probably go one, two, and three at the top of the draft. So I think it's more so just the strength of this offensive class. Now we don't have that high end rusher like an aid In hutchinsoner Cavon Thibodeau in this class, and then we don't have that high end corner like we saw with Devin Weatherspoon. There's no Sauce Gardner or no Derek Stingley in this class. So there isn't that blue chip, high end guy on the defensive side. But this offensive class is really really good.
Speaker 1: I think Jim has an advantage in that not only does he have eighteen guys here from Michigan at the combine, but just the big ten play being able to see the guys from Penn State in Ohio State. I've been asked this question, I think throughout the draft process, but just guys from Michigan that you think could fit on the Chargers right away, knowing the mentor scheme, knowing Jim, and maybe the learning curve not being as big for a rookie because you know those guys.
Speaker 5: Oh man, how much time do we have that there's a lot. I think Blake Korn could be a really good fit for them. They have a need at running back depending on what happens with Austin Eckler. But one that I love if you're looking for a nickel corner is Mike Senrasteel. He's one of my favorites overall in this draft class. Actually started as a receiver at Michigan, then transferred over to the defensive side. And if there was one player who I thought was the best on Michigan's defense last year and the most consistent Samer Steel.
Speaker 3: He was absolutely terrific last year. What about let's go other two levels. How about Chris Jenkins, how about Junior Colson? Like, what about those guys? And it seems as though maybe Chris lines up for second round Austin Johnson free agent Sebastian Josepha is gone. You know, you have a couple younger guys, Scott Matt Locket. It seems like they're more developmental prospects on this team. But interior line is a big need for this team as well. I just feel like Jordan more focused so much on offense because of Justin Herbert, that were not realizing how bad the depth situation is on the defensive side of the ball for this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jenkins, he's a fantastic run defender. That's something that you see frequently on tape with him. Now, the pass rush production really wasn't there for him last year. But with Michigan's scheme and with Mintor, they don't really have that high end rusher that you want to get multiple sacks throughout games. So he's really just holding up at the point of attack and he's just doing his job, but some of the flash plays that you see for him, you know it eventually is going to click for him. He has the NFL DNA. His dad was a terrific player for the Panthers for a long time. So he's one I think is going to get better over time, but more so of a second round player. So if they're looking for a Day two defensive tackle, he definitely could be a fit. And Junior Colson, depending on team or scouts that you talk to, they say he's the best linebacker in this draft class, a plug and play guy I think is gonna be really productive.
Speaker 1: Safety seems to be a little light in terms of depth in this class. Obviously it starts with Irwin James in that secondary, but the Chargers do need safety help as well. Is there anybody that kind of flashes in those bid rounds?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Jayden Hicks from Washington State is one that I like quite a bit. He's one of my favorite safeties. I think I have him as my fifth ranked safety at the position right now. I don't think there's a first round guy in this safety class, but second, third, fourth, I think that's where you're gonna start to see these players really come off the board quite a bit, so Jadan Hicks would definitely be one Tyler Nuban if they're looking for somebody on day two of Minnesota. He's one that the buzz has kind of fizzled a little bit with him, But I think as we get closer to the process, we're starting to see him be a little bit more visible. He didn't end up playing, he didn't play in the Senior Bowl, but once he starts to become a little bit more visible, he's gonna test here this week as well. I think he's gonna really do a good job. One of the things you often hear, you know, Jordan, your money rounds are three four, like right in there. And I guess it's so much if it comes down to evaluation and what I guess how you evaluate when you are trying to project what you think these players are gonna do at the next level. How much of those rounds for you are traits versus production? If that makes sense, Yes, it does. I think it just depends on the position. Honestly, just because we've seen defensive ends, a lot of teams take those guys in the second or third round. Maybe they didn't have the production but they have the traits just because eventually you know it's gonna click for them. Liked Neil Hunter is a great example. I think he only had like ten sacks during his time at LSU, but eventually it ended up clicking for him. So defensive end is more so traits based, but wide receiver. You want to see those guys be productive, just because if you didn't produce in college, you're probably not gonna produce in the NFL. So I would say it's more so positioned specific. When you're talking about that center. We've talked about JPJ from Oregon, it's is he number one in your eyes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's the best closes.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's gonna be after the Combine, especially how he played after the Senior Bow or at the Senior Bowl too. I think he really distanced himself to being in his own tier. I think his clock probably starts at sixteen with the Seahawks, and then I would be surprised if he got past Dallas at twenty four. So I think that's probably where his range is gonna end up. But it's a really good center class Like I like Zach Frazer of West Virginia. I like Cedric Van Pryan of Georgia. He's more so probably fourth and fifth round guy. And then also Graham Barton of Duke He's another that you're gonna hear quite a bit about, but there's some depth later on in this center class. Hunter Nor's that of Penn State is one name that's created quite a bit of buzz. A bowl Lemmer of Arkansas is another name, probably fourth and fifth round that's created some buzz too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like, you know the way that it's lining up for the Chargers, especially after the press conferences, what Jim Harbaugh had to say, what your teas had to say, what Greg Roman then had to say about the run game in terms of like hitting doubles, like you don't want to I think you said it a little bit earlier, like you can't afford to w like it's right. Where are those doubles? Do you think in this in the in the draft, that that makes sense? It shit offensive? Like if you're picking at five, which you feel, and even if you trade down to eight or ten, are you more comfortable with a high floor for one of the old linemen or are you more comfortable with the high floor for one of the wide receivers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, money, I think it all depends on how they feel about Trey Pipkins. What is their true feeling about Trey Pipkins. Do you feel as if he fits your scheme? Can he fit and being a run dominant Greg Roman scheme? Also can he stay healthy?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 5: And then what is his projection? His projection higher than a Joe Ault or Olu Fashion who with some of these other Talise Fluogga, some of these other tackles. And if it is not, if you don't feel comfortable with that, I will look to trade back and recoup some of those Day two picks and then trade or excuse me, take a Talise Fi Wagga or a JC Latham or somebody like that.
Speaker 1: Last one for me, Jordan, And it kind of speaks to the running game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The Chargers have I think guys like Joshua Kelly and Isaiah Spiller in the fourth round and for whatever reason it hasn't worked out. We haven't seen much of Isaiah Spiller at all with the Chargers, so maybe this is a new era for him as well. But in terms of the running back position, they want to kind of retool this room. So whether they do it free agency or the draft, is there a guy or a couple of guys that may be starting in a round three or four that you could see as bell cows or guys who could be productive in a Jim Harball system.
Speaker 5: So I did a Q and A on Twitter the other day, and I'm gonna speak this position and this player and this team into existence. Braylan Allen of Wisconsin and Jim Harborough or a matchmate in him for each other, Like it's so perfect. I can just see Jim watching film on him, just seeing the six foot two, two hundred and forty five pounds twenty year old running back and just being a sledgehammer in his offense.
Speaker 1: I just love the fit.
Speaker 5: Now you have to pay more so or receiving running back with him, just because he's not going to give you a lot of production as a receiver. But Braylan Allen is just such a perfect fit in Greg Roman's offense, especially plan a lot of twelve and thirteen personnel, those tight condensed formations. It's just him being a sledgehammer in that offense. It's a match made in head.
Speaker 3: It's a big ten guy too. You know what, how about pairing him with Frank gorse Kid. Yeah, you know little Frank or back on the back on the roster, right, last one. And we certainly appreciate Jordan uh same same question really, but just different room. Tight end And we already talked about brock Bauers and let's just take that off the table. Gerald Evert's free agent Donald Parhamp Like, when you look at that tight end room, it does look like for what this offense wants to do, probably gonna need to be remade. Just why tight end, even a blocking tight end? What does what does that look like in this particular draft? And do you see something? And maybe it's the Big Ten, Maybe it's Ohio State and Michigan where you go get those guys? Yeah, two guys come to mind that. I think hardball is gonna like Theo Johnson of Penn State more so of your He's kind of a mixture of why an f tight end.
Speaker 5: You can move him around a little bit. He's not gonna give you a whole bunch as far as a blocker, but receiving production. He had seven receiving touchdowns during this final eight games at Penn State. He came on really late in the bowl game against Old Miss too, So he's one. He's actually my third ranked tight end right now, behind Bowers and Jatavian Sanders of Texas. And then THEO Johnson I just talked about and then also I just drew a blame. THEO Johnson is the one that I really like.
Speaker 2: He's one.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the other. I had another on my mind, but THEO Johnson is one of that. Oh it's cased over another big ten guy. I was like, who's the other big ten guy? But yeah, cased over of Ohio State is another that I like quite a bit.
Speaker 1: This isn't like a Kincaid Musgrave Laporta type draft though, where it's it's it's deep like last year, though.
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Uh No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: It's more so of a pick of flavor that you liked with this tight end class last year, it was a combination of both, and I think all those guys had high end trades. You don't see those big time receiving guys after Bowers and Sanders. It's kind of like, do you want the inline guy, do you want the receiving guy? Do you want the one that's more so just gonna be a blocking guy. So just depending on what flavor that you like. This really isn't a combination of both or high end trads in this group.
Speaker 3: I know we should last thing, but I'm gonna add one more because it just came to mind. We've told this story on the pod before that Jim Harborugh told when he was hired at San Diego and he said he had a conversation with coach Bo and Bo said, you know you're going to have a tight end the place with his hand in the ground, Yes, sir, You're gonna have a fullback, Yes sir. Are you gonna run power, yes, sir. So he said, all right, then you could be a coach. Is there a fullback in this draft? Is there a recard that John Harbaugh has in Baltimore that Jim can welcome to the Lorenzo O'Neil to get that position back in the good graces of the Bolts.
Speaker 5: Ben Soonnott of Kansas State, who has one of my favorite stories in the draft. So he was a six sport athlete in night sport. Yeah, you played every single sport that you could think of, and he only had one offer coming out of high school and it was a D two school. He ended up walking on at Kansas State and he built himself up over time. Start off as a fullback, transition to more so of an h type of tight ends where he can move him around quite a bit. But if you want him to be that sledgehammer and lead in the aformation, he can do that. You want him playing hip of the offensive tacole, he can do that as well. So Benceon not definitely is one. You know what, I got one more?
Speaker 3: There we go go all day, just because I called a ton of Standford games when when Jim Harpo was there and Owen Marisic was one of my favorite players. Obviously we don't get a lot of two way guys. Are there any two way players in the draft?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So Siva from Oh yeah, yeah, I like him better as a running back. They played him at safety, Yeah, safety destroyed the ball, destroyed them. Oh, I think he's gonna be awesome. I would play him as a running back. I think he's one player that we look back on this draft. You're going to be like, man, I wasn't he drafted higher? It's like everybody's looking at him.
Speaker 1: As a safety.
Speaker 2: He should have been her running back the entire time.
Speaker 1: So he's one dude got he's got the answers to the test. And of course that's that's why I'm comfortable Pepper and him. Some guys I want Pepper Jordan feel good about it. You're the best. And this is what fans love, names, right, names that they can like look at over the next couple of months, do some research on and actually watched her in the combine and and see, okay, this could this be a future charger. A lot of big ten guys. So I hear Penn State, to hear Wisconsin. I'm like, all right, Jim knows these dudes, you know, independent, just Michigan. So hey, you're the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, appreciate it, thank you, so.
Speaker 1: Mondy out of the gate, Jordan and Sam. Fantastic interviews. A nice kickoff to the week. Yeah, and you know, today we had all the head coach and all the GM pressers. So tomorrow will be a little bit more player centric. All the groups will be in town either going through their medicals, their team interviews, all of those sort of things, and we'll do I think, you know, continue to do our deep dive onto this draft class. You know, Nate Tice gonna join us tomorrow from the Athletic does a great job breaking down film. We'll have Lance Zerline nobody does better with offensive line, and Lanson. Interestingly enough, both of those guys their dad's legendary offensive line coaches in the NFL.
Speaker 3: We have both of them. We've already reached out to a number of other folks as well, Jared, surprises are coming. Factly, you know, I won't even mention names. Surprises are coming. We got a lot of folks that will end up joining us, so be sure to Again, it's not just one day, it's not just two. We're gonna end up having three odds this week from the Combine, so be sure to check in Wednesday and Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, adjust your schedules accordingly. Charges Weekly Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. This week we will be back Wednesday for buddy Um Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly from the Combine and Indie. We'll see you next time.