Speaker 1: Andie Martinez in Real Life Podcast. This episode is powered by our friends at LG. Life's Good and of course do say what's up everybody? Agie Martinez? Here another IRL Takeaway, Come and Sing. These are the episodes where we discuss our sit down interviews, what we learn from them, what we take away. In this takeaway episode, we are discussing the Lindsey Vaughan, She's so dope. Like sometimes we have a guest and I'm like, I want to.
Speaker 2: Be friends with her. No, actually that happens.
Speaker 3: Does that happen?
Speaker 2: It does happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the best conversations that way.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Imagine you go somewhere, you go like and you meet a friend at a party and you have a great conversation. You're like, oh, I like that person. I might want to be friends with them. That's what happens at my job all the time. I have these people on my podcast and I'm like, I really like them. Of course, life starts lifing and you don't really have time for all of your new friends. But I gotta say, most of the people that have been on the on the pod, if I leave with that feeling of like I would like to hang out with them continue conversations anyway. Lindsay of course falls into that group of people. Number One, She's super competitive, which I can totally relate to.
Speaker 2: She's a competitive maniac.
Speaker 1: She she makes me seem like not a competitive person because she is the I'm just competitive and like I get a bad rap. By the way, we were talking about Ron, they don't like to play games with me. I'm not trying to beat anybody.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm competitive to myself. I always want to do the best version of something that I could do for myself. I'm not the person who was like I gotta obliterate everybody where. Lindsey said that she don't even play a game unless she could just like blow everybody to smithereens, which I think is really funny. But you would have to have that type of mentality to be the professional skier that she is and to be as you know, just to be as successful as she's been at it, for sure. When she talks about going up to the like when they're about to what is I call it at the beginning, I'm so nonskier. I don't even know the ski terminologies. Oh, when they're about to go down there, there's like a lineup, right, I don't know if that's the right term. There's a lineup, and then she could see people's fear on their face and she likes it.
Speaker 2: She's like, Eh, that's crazy behavior. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And the best way though, makes me like her so much. She's like, yeah, it's scared. I'm gonna use this to my advantage because I'm not. And then she goes and she wins, and yeah, but it really she really does talk about that drive. And the funny thing is one of the takeaways I have from her is that she said that she tried to reprogram herself. She tried to reprogram that out of herself, but it's so ingrained that she can't. Like me, I could go and be like I could go to somebody's game night and be like, Okay, let's just chill. Let me not get too competitive. I can tell myself that and actually not be that competitive. I could be like, oh, it's just a chill. Lindsey can't even there's no switch for her.
Speaker 2: She just wants to.
Speaker 1: Win all the time, and it's so deeply ingrained that she cannot reprogram it.
Speaker 2: That's interesting too. She must be fun at night or not or not.
Speaker 1: So much fun. I'm not really sure how that goes. But there were a lot of takeaways from this episode.
Speaker 2: What are some of yours, Brick.
Speaker 3: I used to be like kind of jealous of people who at a young age they already knew. Lindsay has been skiing since she's been nine years old.
Speaker 2: She don't know, she had clarity, she knew her agenda. Es, yes, she did. That made you like you were jealous of that.
Speaker 3: Because I always and maybe this is a product of me coming up when the Internet came around the earth, is that you see everybody's successes all the time, and like you said, we're only seeing the highlight rail. So people who get a start at a young age at their profession, that takes them into adulthood. Of course, someone who's been doing something for twenty years is most of the time going to be better than someone who maybe just picked it up.
Speaker 1: Like with you and golf, you're pretty good. I'm pretty good. Pretty good, Brittany, I don't like where you're going with this comparison. I'm pretty good for my group.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying someone a young skier right now now, I look up to Lindsay Vaughn and be like, dang, I gotta get to that.
Speaker 2: No, I get it, I got I get it. So you had jealousy of people who found their career that early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting, and then knocked me back in because I was like, oh my gosh, she's broken every damn bone in her body. She's she she was traveling, she felt lonely. It was hard for her to get friends like there were.
Speaker 1: So she talks about I don't I know when she talks about leaving the house traveling the world at nine years old and not really being supervised, really.
Speaker 2: Not just traveling anywhere.
Speaker 3: She's going across the globe to these remote locations to go compete in these at nine, and she was like the youngest person there with people who are from like thirteen, she said, to thirteen to eighteen or something people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, little Lizzy. She's probably so cute too, little nine year old Lindsay.
Speaker 3: But anyways, I love what you said about we only see the highlight reel.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that, and that's the that's the downside of social media, and that is something that we talked about, like aside from it being the highlight reel, and you don't see see the hard.
Speaker 2: Things that have to go through it. It's really it's not even the hard things.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are hard times that you probably don't see, but it's really.
Speaker 2: The every day of it. It's like the every day.
Speaker 1: You always make fun of me when I use the word minutia, but it's the minutia, it's the really, it's the every day of You have to like that otherwise you set yourself up to not have be happy. Right, Like, if you're like, Okay, my dream in life is to.
Speaker 2: Give me I don't know, give me one be Lebron James. Yes my dream. No, that's that's ridiculous. By the way, good luck with that, guys. Hope that dream works out well for you, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: My dream is to dance at the I want to be in the Nutcracker as a ballerina.
Speaker 2: And then that's all you like, or you all you strive for.
Speaker 1: That means in the if it even if it happens for you, which is really hard, but even if it does happen to you, you're setting yourself to only be happy that one. That's not a life. That's like if you're a baseball player and you're like, I just want to make it to the World Series. If you're only happy on the day of the World Series, what an awful life that is. If you don't love getting up and going to batting practice and getting up and playing small teams and getting up and going to the gym, then that's probably not the life for you, and it's not the dream you should be chasing.
Speaker 2: Is the point. It's like, you really should learn to.
Speaker 1: Find something or to love the journey of whatever your journey is, because the other stuff is really cool.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like.
Speaker 1: An award, right, radio Hall of Fame? Great, so I get a radio Hall of Fame? What does that one day mean? That one day doesn't even compare to the everyday grind, the ten years, twenty years, thirty years that you put into that. You have to love the ten years, twenty years and every day of it. I really feel passionate about that, because sometimes even when you're in it, you forget that. I have to remind myself that sometimes, like are.
Speaker 2: You having fun?
Speaker 1: Like I have to say to myself self, is this fun for you? And not to say everything is fun. Sometimes you do have to.
Speaker 2: Do a little.
Speaker 3: Most of the time, it might not be fun. It might be working out. Everybody's new US resolutionist to work out.
Speaker 2: No, Lindsey likes working out. That's what I'm saying is she likes the journey. She likes her journey.
Speaker 1: That's why I will never be a professional skier because I do not love working.
Speaker 2: Out every day. I don't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Now I'm sure this day she doesn't feel like it, But for the most part, she enjoyed that journey.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. I just don't think it should be.
Speaker 1: Yes, things are hard, Yes they require sacrifice and discipline and all of that, but you should like most of the time doing what you're doing. Otherwise you probably not doing the right thing for you.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So make sure whatever that goal is, you really love all the stuff.
Speaker 2: Before it a lot.
Speaker 1: And also sometimes it's just a switch in your brain, like stop chasing the one thing, the one victory, Like start enjoying the thing you got into it for the first place. So if you're a painter and then you get hired to paint for some museum or whatever, if you're only waiting for that gallery opening, then that's you're not living your life. You should enjoy every painting that you make for the whole year, because that's the life.
Speaker 2: That's the journey.
Speaker 1: And then the other things are just kind of like highlights, like they're just moments, metals. All that stuff is kind of cool and it's fun for people to say, oh, award winning, well this's that, but that's not the life, man.
Speaker 3: And then it post always changes too.
Speaker 1: So once you then there's there's an old interview with Jay Cole classically breaks that that down everything that if you're whatever you're chasing, there's more of it. That's why you got to be present and appreciate what you have and and pour into things that.
Speaker 2: Fill you up for sure. Anyway back to Lindsay, what other takeaways you.
Speaker 3: Got Speaking of the goal post changing for Lindsay, the goal post changed for her when she decided to retire from skiing. And I do like this clip about this moment where she was watching Kobe at the Oscars get his award.
Speaker 2: Were you at the Oscars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was there.
Speaker 2: I was at the Oscars that year. Did you see Kobe? Did you know Kobe?
Speaker 4: I've met him at the London Olympics. I've been a huge I'm always a fan of sports, like I love sports in all its forms, so I know a lot of athletes and definitely was always inspired by his work ethic.
Speaker 1: And then you were there and you saw him war I saw.
Speaker 4: Him like Kobe just won an Oscar, so you know it's not possible, chasing nothing is impossible. And guess what, I'm gonna win an oscar own a fall flat on my face. And I'm totally fine with either.
Speaker 2: I forgot we had an Oscar date.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about that for us, look at us manifesting. I love what Lindsay said about manifesting too. This is this this moment, by the way, if you watch the full interview, her and I talk about, you know, doing what's next and being excited about projects that we're working on, and we were putting it into the air that our projects would land us at the Oscars and we would attend together. But she had an interesting gem about manifesting. Let's play that clip.
Speaker 4: You know, it's again it's like you can manifest it, but like there are so many sacrifices that no one sees that you know, you make every day that are what get you to where you want to go, you know, And I've seen so many people in my life that were more talented than I was. You know that just they thought they were going to make it, they manifested it. They didn't work hard like you have to put in the time.
Speaker 1: Or they work hard, but they don't believe that they can actually do it, or they let fear get in the way, or they let outside noise get in the way, or all of those things. Also Yeah, also true, get in your way.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things that can get in your way. It's a lot of things, mostly yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you got to do the work. That's an important part of manifestation. By the way, how funny that she was at the Oscars the same year I was at the Oscars. It's like we're destined to be friends her and I I'll take that as an omen That was a great night. I'm so grateful too that I was in that room that night.
Speaker 2: When Kobe won the award. How'd that feel? Surreal?
Speaker 1: Mind you when I say I was there. You know, you guys think of the Oscars. You think of people like in the front rows and fully like, no, no, I was in the I was in the back in the trench. Yeah, I was in the trenches. I was there to support my friend. I'm not an Oscar nominee. I was there like I'm Mary's friend in the audience. Now, I'm gonna say for the Mary's Friends section, my seats were pretty good.
Speaker 2: Like I was sitting in front of.
Speaker 1: The lady from get Out and get Out was the movie that year, the lady with the.
Speaker 3: T oh oh, yeah, the actress, she's dope.
Speaker 2: I like her anyway.
Speaker 1: All that to say, I was there and Kobe won, and it was like, oh man, this has got to be an amazing I don't know Mary J. Blige was nominated, Kobe won an award. It was just a dope data be there. And then Lindsay and I were there. What are the chances? Must mean something, must mean we're meant to be back there for something.
Speaker 3: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Take all of that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I also liked when she was talking about the fact that she has to be more than an athlete, which is, you know, if we learn nothing from Kobe, it's about.
Speaker 2: Being more than an athlete.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kobe, Lebron, they're all in that demographic of they're doing more than This moment in pop culture that happened with Kobe where that terrible reporter told them that just shut up and dribble.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that Lebron? That was Lebron?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, sorry sums spoken. But you know athletes have after they're done playing sports or at the tail ends of their careers, you really start to see when they start transitioning and you can aspire to win an Oscar.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 3: Lindsay she was so she felt like so certain, like it's gonna happen. Even you were like, this can really happen for us.
Speaker 2: No, we believe. That's why we're successful in our lives.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't compare what I've done to what she's done or anybody else, but like, I.
Speaker 2: Think we both are.
Speaker 1: Built that way in terms of, like you, we believe. I believe anything's possible. Sometimes I have little quiet moments where I'm going, you crazy, That's not like the little voice will come in my head. The little voice will come in my head and go, you're tripping. That doesn't happen for people like us, or you know, the self doubt notions. I don't let those people live take up too much space in my brain. They're there like they are for everybody else. But I just feel like they're more of a hindrance because to another point that Lindsay made, who cares if you're delusional, you have to think that way? Who cares if you fuck it up or you fall on your face. You can't play the game that way. You can't play scared. You don't go at the top of the mountain like I could break my ankle, maybe I might break my neck. Like you can't go up there and think that you have to get up there and think, no way, I'm good, I got this. And I think that goes across the board for anything in life, even me. Like when I try to do things, I try to make sure that I see the biggest version of it possible in my head. And if I don't make it to that, then so what, Who cares? It's still the goal. You still try to think big and dream big, and then you know, if you fuck it up or you make forty percent of the one hundred percent, who cares? At least you went for it and you still had some It still was worth the journey, and still you know the only way to really show up. In my opinion, so I love that the way she broke that down.
Speaker 2: I thought that was dope.
Speaker 3: Another takeaway I had from this episode was Lindsey talking about pay equality amongst women and men sports. Yeah, and I didn't realize that. I mean, I'm not an avid ski watcher, but she brought up great points that apparently skiing is not very lucrative sport across the board for both men, and.
Speaker 1: Well, that didn't surprise me, but crazy when she broke it down, She's like, you only hear about skiing once every four years.
Speaker 3: Right, And then it made me think back to the only sport, professional sport that has paid equality is soccernis no, she said. Lindsay said that tennis supposedly makes the most money for women, but soccer is the only sport because in twenty nineteen, when the women's US team won the World Cup, they actually filed a lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation and they ended up winning and passing a rule that men and female soccer players have to get paid the same.
Speaker 2: It is the.
Speaker 3: Only sport, which is why can't say why can't anybody else?
Speaker 1: So I say we like, I'm in the WNBA, why can't we win the WNBA?
Speaker 2: I put myself in and things have no business, have no business.
Speaker 1: But I get it, why can't anybody else? So I'm surprised nobody else has followed suit there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they also the women saw team had been way more successful for the men's for a while. They won two World Cups. They were coming off a really really like.
Speaker 2: We know the story.
Speaker 1: We gotta go extra hard to get to get what's deserved, you gotta be extra good at it.
Speaker 2: That's say, that's the age old problem.
Speaker 3: But Lindsay seems like the person that isn't scared to speak her mind and open up. And this is the clip of her talking about how she had to ask her counterparts men how much she should be getting for brand deals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, play that clip.
Speaker 4: If there's no transparency, how am I supposed to know if I'm getting underpaid compared to a man or not. So I asked them point blank, and some of the top male racers actually told me what they were making.
Speaker 2: And you were like oh, And I was like, whoa.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm on in the same ballpark and I need to fix that. So I literally went and I was like, this is what I need, and this is what you're going to give me, and I know what the guys make, so don't even try. And I got it.
Speaker 1: Good for her, she got it. You better get that bread, Lindsay. You know how much work since she's nine years old she's put into this career. That's got to be frustrated.
Speaker 3: It's not just work. Her body. She had screws here, plates there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's nuts and bolts down.
Speaker 1: I also inspire by people who are like I was joking with her saying like I'm such a whiner in the gy like she's so she's like a machine and that Really I don't wish to be a machine, but I am inspired by the mentality that you have to have to be a machine. You know what I'm saying, Because you could apply that whether you want to use it towards working out or towards being a professional athlete. But if you would have just apply that same type of mental discipline to anything you do, it has to lift it up. Like whatever you're doing in the world, If you apply that level of just mental discipline, I think it's really inspiring.
Speaker 2: The way she operates like that. We liked, Lindsay.
Speaker 3: I need to borrow some of that, Lindsay. Lindsay, determination juice works.
Speaker 1: I ain't been to a gym. I keep saying, you're twenty twenty four. I'm like, I'm gonna go to pilates. I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna get my core strength because you know, as a golfer, I gotta get my core strength together.
Speaker 2: I went to pilates one time so far this year.
Speaker 3: It's not too late.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not too late. You're right, I'm going back. I'm going back. I'm going in.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be inspired by Lindsay Vaughn. Anyway, there was a ton of takeaways. I hope you guys enjoyed the episode, and if you haven't, you haven't seen it yet, you could go watch it. It's on my YouTube page IRL. You can listen to it here or wherever podcasts are heard. Follow Edge Martinez IRL on socials and definitely comment because a lot of your comments, you know, it just creates community and gives us information about what you care about, what your takeaways are, and we do appreciate it. So you know, you know how this goes, like comment, subscribe and we'll see you on the next episode, right ye