Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harris, Lauren Zima coming to you from almost the home office. Well we are in Austin, Texas, but not the home office today we are this is kind of an away game here in.
Speaker 2: Austin, here in the Deer Media studios with our new friends Lauren and Michael of Skinny Confidential Fame, the Him and Her show authors, owners of Deer Media.
Speaker 3: Just absolutely.
Speaker 1: They also have they set up a lemonade stand just down the STU. You get some on the way into their valley parking. Now, is there is there a section of the commerce you guys have not gotten into.
Speaker 4: You you should have bought the building and gone a valet. Where is the lemonade gre We.
Speaker 5: Were saying, we have not yet got into the only fans world. But that's our that's our maybe part.
Speaker 3: If I'm looking at waits.
Speaker 1: Feet, Oh you have good feet.
Speaker 6: You can do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, just do some footwork.
Speaker 2: We say this all the time. I'm like, I mean, there's always only fans. Why is only hands the backup plan?
Speaker 1: It really is everyone's backup plan.
Speaker 6: Now, maybe it should be the main plan.
Speaker 1: Right when you consider what some of these women are raking in. It's like, holy count.
Speaker 7: It's wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's not all just sexual, like they're like some people just want to see Larza Pippen's feet.
Speaker 1: I saw someone the other day that they're like one customer alone had spent like six figures on this woman's site, and I'm like, that's just it was amazing.
Speaker 7: You, Lauren.
Speaker 4: You should go on and use your voice and like put people to sleep while they meditate.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that's so nice.
Speaker 2: And that feels like a nice benign OnlyFans, like an ASMR OnlyFans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of many things I think is sexy about Lauren Zima's her voice. I love Wow, I told you you can you can put and it's not a bad thing when I say you could put me to sleep at night when she just speaks.
Speaker 4: That's a nice compliment coming from him too, because I feel like he's heard every voice on the planet.
Speaker 1: It's true as I'm glad, well, I've had a lot of vocal fry over the last twenty years, tape at night, which is what I want for her because her voice at night is like a screeching eagle.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you guys, I need to ask you about the mouth tape. At first, I just want to say we're so excited to be doing this because you too live here in Austin.
Speaker 3: We live here in Austin.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like we should have met before this point, but I'm glad it's happening.
Speaker 1: So what we're doing today is we're gonna do a little house swap. Basically, we're gonna do a little podcast swap. We're going to talk to Laura and Michael, and then I will be on their Dear Media podcast as well, Skinny Confidential. So I'm looking forward to being grilled. But right now we're up in the DJ.
Speaker 3: Booth and we have a lot to talk to you guys about.
Speaker 2: I want to ask about your love story because our show is all about relationships and you have a very different love story than we do. I want to ask about parenting, about working together because we all do that. But first I want to ask about mouth tape.
Speaker 3: Okay, because let's get right to it.
Speaker 2: Let's get right to it, Lauren, I mean, our producer Kendall DMed me. She's like, if you're please, don't please ask about the mouth tape.
Speaker 4: I needed to do it. I have a secret stash because it's sold out and I won't give you some mouth tape to try it to.
Speaker 3: So you've become known for my mouth tape. You now have your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you give a brief cliffs notes on what it does and why it's so important.
Speaker 4: So I was introduced to mouth tape from Andrew Huberman. Yes, I mean yeah, Oh, like he's okay. I say that, Everyone's like, oh okay. He he told me about mouth tape, and then Claire Greaves, who's another influencer, told me. And then we had this incredible dentist on who was like telling us all the benefits. And they all said that it's so good for breath, because you get bad breath if your mouth is hanging open at night. They said, it's amazing for cavities. They said, it's amazing to breathe through your nose for your nervous system. And so I started doing it, and I was like floored with how much energy I was waking up with. And then I started researching it. And there's this book from the nineteen twenties called Shut your Mouth, Save your Life. There's another book called Jaws that's from the nineteen eighties. It's all about the importance of breathing through your nose. And then there's a book that you, guys, I'm sure everyone's read this book or seen it in Breath by James Nestor, and we need to be breathing through our notes. So I just kept doing it every single night, and I started to like find that not only was I having all these health benefits, but there was.
Speaker 7: A beauty angle.
Speaker 4: I My jaw was strengthened because it was supported all night.
Speaker 7: So I noticed like the muscles in my face.
Speaker 4: Getting like it was bizarre, and I started to think about it, and it is so true. Where you put your tongue all night. If your mouth is hanging open, your gravity, you're looking older and older and older as like, as you keep doing it.
Speaker 7: Gravity and you're supporting your tongue all night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what we learned talking to so many of the experts that have con our show is many people have tongue posture issue, which is why at night some people you know, you can many probably think about this. You sleep with your mouth hanging open, and that's going to kind of create that slack jaw look, and a lot of people are going and getting chin implants or nose jobs, but really it's proper tongue posture and making sure that your jaw is in the right place when you're sleeping. Also, from to Lawrence's point, from an energy perspective, if you're sleeping that way, you're not going to sleep as efficiently.
Speaker 4: I will tell you, Lauren, though, just by looking at your face, I can tell your nose breather right, you breathe through your nose.
Speaker 2: I mean I try to, but I don't know about it. I try it trying at night, you know.
Speaker 7: And it's weird.
Speaker 4: Your nervous system like relaxes into it. It's comfortable.
Speaker 7: I know, it's sounds szarre.
Speaker 1: Did it take you a while to get used to it? Because I think the idea for some people of cutting off.
Speaker 3: Am I going to suffocate myself?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean you're not tying each other up. I don't know. Maybe I'll do that too, which is to.
Speaker 6: Well, think about it this way.
Speaker 5: We can all picture a dog breathing in their mouth and like in humans, I mean that from an energy perspective is not good.
Speaker 6: But you humans are designed.
Speaker 5: To breathe through our nose, and even from an immune function, standpoint where our noses are designed to filter germs and all sorts of stuff out of our system, or at least protect us from those things coming in. And when you're breathing through your mouth all the time, one it's it's not as efficient from an airway passage, but two like you're you're in fiting more disease and virus into your system. Where if you learn to breathe, if you look at young kids when they're born, they breathe through their nose. We just forget how to do that as adults.
Speaker 7: But yes, it can be. I can understand how.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit daunting at first, but once you do it for a month, you'll I called room service because I forgot my mouth tape and I was like, can you bring me masking tape? Like I can't sleep without it now?
Speaker 3: So you're some.
Speaker 1: Duct tape, some wires, some handcuffs and do you guys at call and some lime like what?
Speaker 2: So your body adjusts, You just breathe your nose. But here's my relationship question part of it. What happens when you two are lying next to each.
Speaker 7: Other, and it's amazing you do what I.
Speaker 3: Want to do to him? Which is like he's half asleep.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, baby, baby, do you ever think like, can you make it for a second?
Speaker 3: Do you ever think are we so? Has this been good for your relationships?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: What about that that last question you get at the end of the night of are we really in love?
Speaker 7: Do you really love me? You can just shake your head.
Speaker 5: We did a joke party video when we launched the mouth tip, when she launched the mouth tape, and it was like basically this, yeah, shutting you up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he talks more than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually it's the kind of opposite with us. Actually, okay, yeah, she's the opposite he is. He's talking about quick books at eleven. Yeah. I'm like, I'm like, the show is over the Broadway, curtains are closed.
Speaker 7: My personality is turned off.
Speaker 1: I say, I run out of words. I've run out of words. I'm done using my words for the day. She's just starting.
Speaker 7: There's a mouth tape on. There's an excuse.
Speaker 5: I love this, to be honest, though not much has changed because she never responded. Even without the mouth tape, I would just, you know, just kind of rapid fire questions and thoughts.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I just need to hear myself talk, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You wo So now we know there's one in every relationship. Mikel and I are.
Speaker 5: On the same page in the same relationship. I think, you know, we'll talk about that later, but you gotta have one or the other.
Speaker 1: So you guys live here in Austin now, as do we. We just figured out we're about the same amount of time. Last two years, about twenty twenty or so, pandemic hit. Many people were getting the f out of California. Is that kind of what hit you guys?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, we had our first child in twenty twenty. And I should start by saying Lorren and I were born and raised in California, in San Diego, and we've spent a lot of time in LA and obviously seen and a lot of our family's still there. I think for us, as many others, when the quality of life changed there and you start to not have access to the things that you had access to, whether it be like the outdoors, yeah, like the outdoors, shut the outdoors, yeah, and then when you realize in a minute, yes, I'm in a massive city. And for us, the realization was also like we were not in the best shape. We weren't taking care of ourselves. We were grinding to the bone in terms of work, we were drinking more alcohol. I mean, LA's a social city, you guys know, and when we came out here, and probably also part of the reason why we haven't met is there's like blinders on health, wellness, take care of our children, stay focused, kind of get out of the chaos. It's been really good for us.
Speaker 1: When y'all have a girl and a boy. How old are they?
Speaker 7: They're four and almost two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no wonder no one sees you guys. Yeah, I know, no one's going to see you all for the next ten years.
Speaker 7: That is that a thing? Actually?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So when your kids were under ten, you felt like you were just in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean we joke as like you you're in the bear's cage. I mean, you are. They get to this age of walking talking school, then it's sports, then it's girl scouts, cub Scouts, but you know, theater piano, you're just you're an uber driver, Like that's going to be it for ten years. And your friends will become friends that you are cub Scout masters with or coaching with or whatever. And that's that'll be your social for a while. It's really weird. And then some some of those people stick, some don't, and you realize they were just there for that season of your life and you kind of move on.
Speaker 5: When I meet some of my single guy friends that are still in the wild, like listen, like I respect it, understand it, appreciate it, but like I just can't.
Speaker 6: I can't know.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna play golf Saturday morning. Let's we'll meet at soho house. Like what I'm like, Like, we put.
Speaker 5: The kids down at seven and we're done by nine o'clock. It is done. The mouth tape is on and weird out.
Speaker 1: You don't understand if you're a nonparent how exhausting it is. It sucks so much energy out of you. You give so much of yourself and you're also you guys are running sixty different corporations and different things, and you're trying to take care of yourself. So it really is. And when I say soul sucking, I don't mean it in a bad way. It's wonderful, but it does. It takes so much energy. When you put them down, you realize, oh my god, like I'm done.
Speaker 7: It's like you're just dragging to the finish line.
Speaker 4: There's this book called All Joy, No Fun, and I think that like that is, oh god, I know that's that's kind of like mean, and it is fun sometimes, but like when you're in it and it's like a micro moment, it is like.
Speaker 6: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: Though, I always every parent will relate to this like it is challenging and it is hard and it is chaos. But the way I always look at it like we are not the first people to have small children, And I like, you know, I want to call myself a hero at the end of the day, but I'm like, you're not the first guy that's done this, Bud, like other guys have put kids down.
Speaker 1: You're doing this in a village with no water. You're not just like walking.
Speaker 7: Like doing it in the village there's no water though.
Speaker 1: Like you're just walking down to the agb and you know, getting your getting your water.
Speaker 7: You do.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I think like the way we approach parenting is we acknowledge that it is challenging and there's moments and it's hard, but also at the same time we measure that with like, hey, we're not the only ones that have ever done there's there's people that are not as not and maybe in the same circumstances that have it much stuffer. So I just look at its like I appreciate the moment. You Like, sometimes we'll look at us at each other and we'll say, it's just a look like holy oh.
Speaker 1: And I think it's also important to when you feel like you're failing, which we all do is parents and people at a time with your children, you're like, we're really failing. We should be doing this, we should be doing this. I did this instead of spending time with them. You know, there's always someone doing worse.
Speaker 3: That's true anything in life.
Speaker 2: There's always going to be somebody who has it better than you and someone who's has it much worse than you, And those moments are going to change for everybody. But I mean, I've said before, I don't think like he's taught me a lot about because I have never had the experience. So he's just spoken to me about what having small kids is like, and that's given me a lot of new empathy for my friends who have small kids. Like when my friend hasn't called me back, he's like, she really she's in it, And I don't know if we would be together if I'd met him when his kids were younger, Like, it was just such a different life place. I would have been younger, So I am. You know, timing is so important, but it's like we started dating when the kids had started driving already, and I think that made a huge difference. I don't know, I don't I don't know if I could have ubered around. I was like, yeah, I'm it wasn't for me.
Speaker 1: We're you know, week on, week off, week off with my ex, and so you would be rotten me. I picked the kids up at two thirty school and I would drive until eight thirty at night.
Speaker 2: Well and living in La you know, he lived an hour away from me already, Like meet me with all the.
Speaker 7: Work you're doing, that's all.
Speaker 1: So you're just like, like, I traveled a ton obviously, So I mean I had a very understanding X and in the situation and the way we set it up was very conducive to me working. Uh, meaning I just took care of everybody, which is fine because I wanted my kids to have a parents, and she was agreeable to be that parent when I was on the road, So it all worked out great. Thank God, and she was wonderful about that. But it allowed me to you know, when I was in town, do you dive back in? And that's the other thing with trying to date, And I didn't for a long time because I was on the road with a bachelor. Then when I was in town, I wanted to be with my kids, right I was coaching. I wanted to be at all the games, and so I wasn't going to give myself to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Truly, I don't think it gets enough credit for like, because you know, when people are interviewing you, they don't ask about this. I mean, back then podcasts didn't exist. You didn't really talk about this stuff. He was a single dad, like I mean, you had some hired help, but yeah, like doing all the school pickups and doing it every and coaching and working, and it's made him a great partner to me now he's a really good multitask.
Speaker 4: And I think what what also is so crazy is that like you go to work and you do all the work and then you get home and it's it's there's no break.
Speaker 3: How's your sex life?
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. I was I was going to put it a little more delicately, like, how do y'all take care of each other in all the way week till our.
Speaker 4: Kids fall asleep and seeing around the house and have plate different places.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's kind of funny.
Speaker 6: Don't you have to don't come to our house and sit on any of the furniture.
Speaker 2: I told him the other day, I said, here's maybe a difference for me about like men and women. I mean, women just like to get I'm sweeping generalizing here, but I like to get deep with my friends really quick, Like when I see them, I want to get deep really quick. So one thing I ask is, like we all sit down for dinner, I'm like, so, how's everyone's sex life?
Speaker 3: Like, let's just get in, let's talk about it.
Speaker 7: I do this our podcast. I'm going to send you some episodes.
Speaker 3: But do you dive in with your friends? Like how do you catch up with your friends?
Speaker 4: Always an oversharer since I was little, and I didn't realize until recently that the way that I talk about sex, Michael always says this to me is not the way other people.
Speaker 5: Talk about Well, the part of the reason we started the podcast is she was out there sharing all this wild.
Speaker 7: Don't I don't think it's a big deal. Everyone has sex.
Speaker 6: No, and she would I had no say, And I'm like, you're just throwing all this out there.
Speaker 2: Something I'm getting you were like big when Carrie was writing about their sex life in the column, but you.
Speaker 5: Had no Yeah, And so I got on here said I got to be able to answer for some of this stuff. But no, I mean the way that Lauren and I I think where she is very you know, out and open in and overshare, and I think by nature maybe not but same as me, and we always I guess come from the perspective of like why would you not talk about everything? There was no shame in either of our households. You know, parents were pretty open. So my dad was a crazy character and so he was always telling all these wild stories when even when I was young. And I think that's just been like natural for us on the podcast. Sometimes I'll read reviews once in a while, Yeah, people get mad and like I can't believe, Like we just had John Stainless and we started talking about sex a lot, and there's ones like I cannot.
Speaker 6: Believe they would talk about this, and this is so I don't.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, I don't mind though, someone doesn't want to talk about sex. I'm respectful of that, Like I'm not going to try to pry into into if someone doesn't want to talk about it. But I think when people get angry at me talking about it, there's a little bit of a projection. Like I feel like they're like a little bit insecure and they're projecting it onto me.
Speaker 7: It's like, why do you care what I talk about.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big share. Yeah good, and that's fine, but I don't care, Like I don't care if you guys talk about it or whatever. But like I'm just I just never happen, Like if.
Speaker 6: You came up with you ar comment on our show.
Speaker 5: What we try to do, like if somebody we're not saying like you have, we try to be self aware and say, you know, if somebody is excited to talk about this, we will.
Speaker 1: It's like I'll talk about anal and oral but that's it perfect.
Speaker 5: That's why I draw the good because about half the interview questions, I don't.
Speaker 7: Know that a lot of parents are doing anal. I feel like that's like a like.
Speaker 1: Do y'all have sex with mouth tape on?
Speaker 7: I just I think we have.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes he's I'm like already like with my skincare and like my six hundred cerms and like my mouth tape, and he like comes over to the side of the bet and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Tell you the tape.
Speaker 7: My mindset is like you rally, like it's my husband, I rally.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, Okay, pail off the tape. Here we go.
Speaker 4: One time, you literally whispered to me you can leave your mouth tape on.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if that's creepy or sexy.
Speaker 5: If you want to know, we got some pushback on the show. If you want to know one of the keys in the marriage. I think like when either of us want sex, we both like we want to make sure that we're getting each other sex right.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 5: Sex is a big part of any healthy relationship in our opinion, and we talk about this a lot. So many people put so much focus on their business or their parenting or what they're doing for their health. Very few people actually approach sex in the same way and say I'm gonna actually approach this the same way I approach the other ears in my life. And people need intimacy. I mean, like if what I would say is like if we're not intimate with each other. Why aren't we just roommates and friends?
Speaker 2: Like right, It's also amazing how when you have sex, like doesn't everything just kind of feel better right away?
Speaker 4: Connect It's like he's so much less irritable. And I'm like, oh, I should have done this three days ago.
Speaker 7: It's so annoying. It just takes it all away.
Speaker 3: I'm really glad you brought up the skincare thing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's this movement now, like on TikTok, it's like the stay at home girlfriend thing where now there's this movement towards women going back to being traditional wives, Like we're circling back, let's be stay at home you know all that again. And one thing like is this thing of there was I was reading about this woman. She's very like, no, I wait till my husband goes to sleep, and then I get up and like do all of my skincare, and then I wake up before him in the morning and I put all my makeup on, like it's very nineteen fifties again.
Speaker 3: Oh, And I'm just that is so much effort.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of weird to do that anyway, But it's just because you have a different life than I do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like for your job, you probably have to wake up really early.
Speaker 1: Do either of you know? I get up, she'll sleep in a little bit. I get up early. She likes to stay up late. I'm not a stay up late guy.
Speaker 4: Okay for the.
Speaker 1: Most part, I mean more night.
Speaker 3: Al he's more early.
Speaker 1: A lot of times I'll go to sleep, she will get up and lives a whole.
Speaker 2: Different But I'm not putting I tell you something that is so healthy for your relationship because I also think and you guys would know, you especially would know better than I would.
Speaker 7: But you need space in your marriage.
Speaker 4: Like if you can't give the person space and you're suffocating, it's too much. Like I think that's nice that you have your mornings and you have your nights.
Speaker 7: It's healthy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's one of the things I was early on. You were much better at that than me and brought that into our relationship early on. Of Like I have my girlfriends I have, I want to have my time with them. You know, all of your stuff doesn't need to become my stuff all the time. Like I love Golfer. Example, She's like, I'm not going to love golf. I don't need to love golf. I don't care. That's your thing, and I support that and I love that for you.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 1: So we've always been good about that. If you gut y'all. Still, as parents with young kids, are you able to maintain your independence like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think something that works the best in our marriage is we're codependent. I will say that. But within the codependency is independency. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like a perfect example is we're in these offices and a lot of people look at Laura and I and they see the show and they think we're working together, and we do things together all the time. We each run completely separate companies with separate teams and in separate roles. The show is something we decided to do together to have something to work on together. And of course we're in a marriage and so as a household, we're trying to figure out what is best for ourselves and family and the companies are involved with. But like the office we're sitting in today, I ran off and did my own thing with our old team, and she goes off and does her thing, and so we have our own independence. And then I think the way it works in our marriage is we come back and we have stuff to talk about and share with each other that is from our completely separate lives, which is the stuff.
Speaker 4: I also think that you require a very specific finesse, meaning like I can tell when I need to take my foot off his neck, like I can tell when like oh, you can tell tell. I can tell when you need to go upstairs and like write in your journal or read like I can tell and like get out of my hair, go upstairs, go take a sauna.
Speaker 7: I know when he needs to take a like get well.
Speaker 5: I would classify all three of you and just meeting all three learning, but I would classify all three of you as like you are comfortable as entertainers and being out there and extra.
Speaker 6: Rights.
Speaker 5: I'm somebody that I need to be alone with my thoughts and away from people a lot of the time, and I always feel like I'm walking hypocritsm. The's like part of me is like I'm doing the show and like, hey, listen to me. But the other part is I need to get away, even from her, and I'll go upstairs and just sit and read books for hours and hours and like write and be interest space.
Speaker 7: It's very cerebral.
Speaker 5: But I if I don't get that time, then I'm just I'm not I'm not the best because I just I feel like I need to be in my own space and alone.
Speaker 7: It like when he starts ruminating, I'm like, nope, out.
Speaker 5: Part of my dream is, hey, we just won a huge award show for a great show. And the other part of my dream is can I move to the middle of a mountainside and see nobody ever again?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I so understand this, though I feel well. I think what's interesting about, like when we're all of us being in this business now, is how rapidly it's all changed. Right, Like I say this all the time, But I studied journalism in college. By the time I graduated, the Internet was changing everything. And then a couple years later social media really changed everything. And then like you know, and everybody had a phone in their hands.
Speaker 3: So it's just all changed so much.
Speaker 2: And I like grapple a lot with on the one time, On the one hand, I love entertaining people and like making people laugh and making people happy. But on the other hand, I never really like as a kid, I didn't dream of sharing my whole life with everybody. And what's really interesting is the thing that I used to have to like interview people about on red.
Speaker 3: Carpets, which is their personal life.
Speaker 2: The actors and actors, that's what they hated talking about the most. They're like, please don't ask me about my divorce. I want to talk about the project. But now it's like this actual part of the job.
Speaker 3: Like, do you guys ever because you share so much? Do you, especially you being the way you are Michael, But you're an overshare grapple with how much you're going to share and debate that it's weird.
Speaker 4: I am an oversharer, but I also love privacy, which is the Gemini, So I get what both of you guys are saying.
Speaker 7: I love having.
Speaker 4: Privacy, Like when I'm off and I'm with my kids, I'm off and I think that I don't always want to be on, so I do grapple with that. I think that you have to have buckets, Like I know when I'm putting my hat on to like perform, and then I know when I'm putting my hat on to like just be a mom and just have like a normal, easy private life.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: One thing I like about Austin is you know, I'll go outside looking like like the ugliest thing you've ever seen to take a walk in the morning. But it's like so nice here because it's just like there's there's a there's a an energy that people just don't really care. In la It's like it's a little more like you have to like be buttoned.
Speaker 7: Up to go outside. I kind of just like that. It's not really about the way you look here, what you're wearing. It's there's something that's like refreshing about.
Speaker 5: I however, won't go out without a full get up. I'm like stick back, ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's actually true.
Speaker 6: I'm like she's got her rat jacket on. You know.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think one thing for Lauren and I with our show is we started it with a different approach, which is we don't come from I guess, quote unquote traditional entertainment. It's when we started the show, it was really like a share all be or like it was a different time.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's two thousand and sixteen when we started, and I think what we realized is like if we just weren't always the way we are, we could not continue to carry it on. Because it would be a hard thing for us to cure.
Speaker 6: Does that make sense. We didn't have scriptwriters, we didn't have a producers, and we didn't have a team. It was just us.
Speaker 5: And so my perspective is, if you're not willing to share it, like everything, then you might as well not do it at all. And there's certain things we're private with which I'll be like, we're not sharing where our kids.
Speaker 4: Are, or I'm not also like putting my kids first steps or.
Speaker 6: Like, but I'm not. I'm personally not every.
Speaker 7: Day like I'll show like here and there, I'm real specific.
Speaker 5: Yes, what I'm saying is I'm not precious about what people know about certain like I don't want to like go and post my home address everywhere when my kids go to school. But other than that, like I'm kind of an open book.
Speaker 1: Do you see? Lauren and I were having this debate. We always debate, Well, one of us is in the shower. We're always talking in the bathroom. Our best talks.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, I just we do. We have our best talks in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: That's where we need to start podcasting.
Speaker 7: You guys should podcast from the bathroom.
Speaker 1: You know. But Lauren brought this question up, and I'm going to pose it to you. I do you see a time, Lauren that this goes away? You know, it's definitely evolved where influencers and people making a living And I've watched this on The Bachelor, where it was there was nothing, it was naivete and there was no bounce for being on the show. Then all of a sudden there was a little bit of getting some hype and doing some endorsement stuff. Then there were flat out influencers, which is what you know, and these people made a living off of it, which is kind of where we are now. But do you see it changing? And is this going to end at some.
Speaker 2: Point like well people retire from being on social media? Do you think or are we all going to like this is forever and we're in our eighties and we're like now we're in the retirement house together.
Speaker 4: I think influencers are going to be there's going to be them more and more and more, and it's not going to be as exclusive as it was. Yes, I think it's going to be like not a member. Andy Warhol said, like everyone's going to have their fifteen minutes of fame, Like I think everyone will have their fifteen minutes of fame. As far as what to do, in my opinion, to be strategic, I am evolved evolving and evolved into an entrepreneur, into building a I'm not. I don't want to post pictures of myself in the mirror at fifty years old and listen, by the way, if you do, that's great. I want to build a business and a company, and I think you just have to. You have to be thoughtful about what you want. If you want to be taking pictures at fifty, I do. I think there will be people taking pictures at fifty. For me, I definitely want to have a pivot and an evolution of where the brand isn't Lauren Bostic, it's the brand standing on its own. It just depends what you want.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 5: I think putting an entertainment quote unquote executive hat on, we would have to be rather naive to think that this would just last forever, right like we're I think we're we're looking at it as we're grateful for as long as people find us entertaining or educate whatever they find us. But we all know stars from the eighties that you just never hear from again, it's very rare to see people last deck decade.
Speaker 2: I think it's very easy, easier than ever to get famous. People sometimes don't process how hard it is to stay famous.
Speaker 7: That's what you know how hard it is because you've done it.
Speaker 1: It's not because I'm in my fifties.
Speaker 7: You don't want to take me your selfie.
Speaker 6: So I bet no, I do not want to take me what I see too.
Speaker 5: And I always caution I guess the younger people we work with on this platform, when you have these viral moments and you kind of go from out of nowhere and all of a sudden you're a young kid or even in just a young anyone, and you think you're gonna it's going to be that forever. I always think the slow, steady, stable growth is because it's hard to maintain. And you you know, you see these stories when going viral. In the next moment, a year goes by and you don't hear any business.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have these talks all the time. I mean I feel like when the Bacheler and Batcherettes came on and I tried to help them because I they they were drinking from a fire hydrant. They were shot out of a cannon. But as anything goes, when you're shot out of a cannon, you fall. Eventually, that too shall pass. You're not going to stay on this arc. And they're just they get to this level of you know, flying first class and you're on red carpets and all of a sudden you're on Jimmy Kimme Alive, and it's all so intoxicating, and.
Speaker 6: People are so full of shit.
Speaker 1: They will you know, you're great, You're great. We love you, we love you, and you think, oh my gosh, I'm great. I'm great. People really love me. I'm not saying they don't like you, but they're not going to care in six months. And you have to know that this has a shelf life, and you know, you're like fish left out. In three days, you're gonna smell just as bad as everybody else. And so there will be the next flavor, the next flavor. There's an elementary story.
Speaker 2: People are using you, you know, people in the business are using you, like fans are using you. People watching you are using you for their entertainment moment. Yeah. I think everybody I interviewed who came off the show was like, well, yeah, what's up next for me is like, I'm going to get my own show.
Speaker 3: I have a lot in the works of like getting my own show, and no.
Speaker 7: One ever got that.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, is anyone ever got one person?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: People, people have this weird idea that they're interesting and people aren't interesting. They're not. There were so many people that came off the show and like, yeah, I think I'm probably do a reality show where they just follow us around like a day in our life. I'm like, but I actually think the idea, the arrogance that you think you are that interesting that well, someone just follows you around in your actual life and people will care.
Speaker 4: It's like, really, the only people I can think of that that's worked for is the Kardashians.
Speaker 7: But there's ten of them.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's not even true for the Kardashians, and I really respect the Kardashians, but that's not true. If you really followed the Kardashians around in their real life, you would be asleep in three minutes. If you didn't have a team of producers setting up restaurants, setting up storyline, setting up drama, setting up conversations. The idea like Duck Dynasty could that was the most produced show probably in the history of television.
Speaker 7: Because you just have been behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: You just know, Yeah, and I knew. I know people that worked on these shows. I know people that work in the Kardashians. I know people that work on Duck Dynasty. I know people that work on Survivor and American Idols. It's hard work, it's really hard work. I mean our show, the Bacher and Bacheoretta. You know what we were genius at were producing the fish bowl environment, which is okay, the four of us are on a date in this room, and this room is set up, there's lights, there's cameras. It's not a mistake. The four of us are on this date. Michael and I hate each other, and you know you and Lauren both have a crush on Michael. There's a reason we're all here together. And now we'll see what happens. That's the reality. But everything about this was set up.
Speaker 7: But there was there was an element of reality to it.
Speaker 1: For sure. Yeah, and you have to have good characters. The Kardashians are very good at what they do. They're brilliant women, and so they know how to once they're in a conversation how to manifest that great content and drama and push each other and needle each other. It's great stuff. They're really good, they're talented.
Speaker 2: What social media has actually done, though, is made is given people the opportunity because then you can be interesting for like fifteen or thirty seconds, like totally.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: The way I look at it is.
Speaker 5: Like for what Louren and I do, maybe who knows, maybe there was a chance, but there was no Like what social media did podcast it is it democratize people to be able if they put in the hard work for a long yeah, they could be able to sustain. And you know, we have been doing our show for a long time, like I mentioned, And you'll hear things now like somebody say, oh wow, I can't believe like scarlet your hands on the show. I'm like, yeah, that's episode six hundred and fifty.
Speaker 6: Body, Yeah, you know what I mean. It's not episode one through five hundred. It took a long time.
Speaker 5: And what I tell I guess creators are people that are going to engage in these mediums now, is you have to like if you're just seeking fame for the for the sake of fame, like what is the goal, Like, what's the intention?
Speaker 6: What are you building? What are you gonna have to show?
Speaker 1: It's not a business plan, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's it's you have to you have to build something with the attention that you it's your next book, you know, Garnishing attention is great. But what I always find to be the most tragic is you see somebody and they got a load of attention and they didn't do anything with that attention. They built no asset, they put no money away, they didn't you know, whatever it is, and then it goes away, And like that to me is a tragedy.
Speaker 1: Well, I know it's true for me, and I'm gonna guess it's true for the three of you. None, none of us got into this to be famous. Yeah, no one thought, you know, it'd be great because if I walked down the street and someone recognized.
Speaker 7: So what did you want to be when you were a little boy? Like looking a fireman? Okay? Then how did you get in? How did you get into.
Speaker 3: Doing what you were doing?
Speaker 2: His mom does tell a story of he wanted to be a sportscaster, and his mom tells a story of like his brother would be running around and he'd be like narrating his brother running around the house.
Speaker 3: And then you did that.
Speaker 2: He got into sports broadcasting and like local news and then for while, I'm really telling your story here, and then on a horse racing network, and then he got the audition for the Bachelor, and it was a total pivot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I was. I was a good soccer player, and I played sports and college, played soccer in college, and but I always it was funny. Even when I was younger, like junior high and all that, I didn't want to be in the Talent Show. I wanted to host it. So like High and Dallas, Texas, where I went, I was the MC of the Talent Show. And I because my thought was if you have an act, you're on for like three minutes. If I'm the MC, I get to be on all night and I get to be funny every between every act. And I thought that would be more stage time and more of my personality. And because I couldn't sing or dance, and so that's I always loved hosting. It's always been my jam.
Speaker 4: That's smart, That is very true. You're on for three minutes if you're the talent. I think that with what what you're saying about the Bachelor and Bachelorette we talk about all the time on our show, was like, it is like an astronaut syndrome.
Speaker 7: It's like we talk about this all the time.
Speaker 4: It's like astronauts go to the moon and then they come back down and they get depressed.
Speaker 5: Well, like a creator goes viral and then it doesn't happen every time after that.
Speaker 4: You're like, well, are you supposed to go if you've gone at the moon, what are you supposed to do? You're supposed to wake up and walk down the street and go to the It's just like everything kind of I.
Speaker 5: Think when you put as much time as you guys, haven't you know, I guess in some ways we have like I appreciate the result way more than maybe somebody who has gone viral overnight, like to you know, when Laura and I started our show, we were in our kitchen with It's still it's an episode one. If you go it's it's atrocious. But I look at that and I'm like, oh, that kind of like thing that started eight years ago has now bequ these things.
Speaker 6: But it wasn't.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a fast like overnight thing, and so I'm appreciative, and I think because of that, I'm more cautious in how we engage with all of this.
Speaker 1: I would say it took a long time to become an overnight sensation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you were, you were probably the best tool that all of the people on the Bachelor and Bachelorette could have gone to, because you've seen.
Speaker 1: It, many of them did.
Speaker 7: Okay, if I was on that show, I.
Speaker 1: Would like I definitely helped many of them negotiate contracts, work on, you know, because I knew the show was not great because and it's this is nothing against the show or the network whatever. That's not their job. ABC is not like, well, let me make sure Lauren is taking care of after the show and make sure she has all the skills and you know things she needs to take her next step in life. That's not their job. Their job is to move on to next season and worry about another show, et cetera. And so I just knew these people were now walking on a tightrope without a net. So I tried to be there for him obviously overcaretaker. I'll talk to my therapist about this, but you know I would we already have I would, you know, deal with you know, Ben Higgins or whoever. And they would call me and be like, hey, I've been offered this, I've been offered this, and so I would try to help them navigate this crazy world that they were entering into.
Speaker 7: And did some not listen to you?
Speaker 1: A lot? Yeah, some because a lot of them feel like they got so famous so quick. Again they know better, you know. It's like, honestly, it'll be like your kids. They know better, right, you know, when you're eight years old, you got it all figured out. You're just so you watch them trip on every hurdle you got over. I've made all these mistakes you're about to make.
Speaker 7: And you've seen it all the agents.
Speaker 5: A lot of the agents are going to not like me for this. But this industry in particular has a lot of transactional people in the space. And what I mean trans that doesn't mean like an agent's job is to go and secure a deal that they then commission on for their agency. And there are some phenomenal agents I should say, that have their clients' long term issures at heart, but there are also some agents that sometimes take a transactional fee over something that is not in the best interest of their client's long term success. And I think that this space, particularly, you're a new talent and all of a sudden there's blood in the water, and you get these guys that like, ooh, this is a quick payday, I'm going to go and get X, and it sounds like maybe you've been making no money or you haven't had any opportunity, and then you take this thing and you don't realize the ramification that it's going to cause.
Speaker 1: Remember Trista, the first wedding we ever did, Tristan Ryan. Yeah, I think, and you know, remember everyone talking about a million dollar contract and oh my god, they're so rich. And I remember Trista. She got an agent and a manager and so they were taking like thirty five percent. So she's doing this wedding and you pay taxes on fifty percent and then thirty five percent, like they took home peanuts for that wedding.
Speaker 2: I've never had an agent, It's never, And my advice to people is always, I don't think you need an agent.
Speaker 3: I really don't think.
Speaker 7: You have had an agent for anything that you've done. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Thank you well, I mean I got some of it was I got lucky in like right place, right time and also working hard. But then from there I was just like I met with a couple people and I could tell like kind of like what you're saying, Michael. I mean this one guy, he's like, yeah, I really want to represent you, And I said, cool, like what do you like that I've done?
Speaker 3: And with that one question he couldn't answer anything, and he's like, well, like you're on entertainment.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Yeah, like if you what interviewed? Like, is what anything that you've seen? And it falls apart really quickly, and I think that that job is more unimportant than it's ever been. But something that's always a tell to me is that when people get big enough, a lot of them don't have agents anymore. Like Angelina Julie doesn't have an agent anymore, Broll Pitt doesn't, Bill Murray doesn't like why lawyer Yeah why when they're able to do they say goodbye to that person.
Speaker 3: And I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Some people have like great long term relationships, but those few connections are making this look like it's so much better than it is.
Speaker 1: I've had good I've said bad. I've had great agents, had terrible agents there's yeah.
Speaker 5: What I guess the point I'm making is especially for new people in entertainment, when you don't know the good from the bad, and you have everybody in your ear saying do this, do that, and you don't have the experience of what to say yes. Or I'll even give you an example, maybe you sign on for a big deal with a big brand that is going to alienate you from all sorts of other brands in those categories in the future. Like these are just things that I think it's dangerous to go fast. For Lauren and I, it's been such a slow build sure that we've got like there was there was nobody, no agents beating down the doors in the first few years, and so we've got to see and out to your point at this point, like I can't ever imagine, you know, hiring an agent or a manager for myself.
Speaker 2: One thing I wanted to ask you guys about was you first started dating in sixth grade?
Speaker 3: Is that your story?
Speaker 7: We met in sixth grade? Okay, we met literally on the playground.
Speaker 3: And then you like, did you didn't date that? When did you start dating?
Speaker 7: We dated dated if you want to call it that.
Speaker 1: When did you first make out.
Speaker 7: We first made out probably six months into meeting.
Speaker 6: She gave me the tennis courts when I was thirteen years old.
Speaker 1: Before you had any hair on your peaches.
Speaker 7: Yeah, before you had any hair.
Speaker 1: Probably good effort.
Speaker 7: That probably thank you. That was we were different story.
Speaker 5: We started super hot and heavy for whatever reason.
Speaker 6: And I'm not I don't know what it was. It was just this thing.
Speaker 3: Like a like a you say sex is important in your relationship, but for.
Speaker 5: Me, it was honestly love at first sight. I thought I looked at her, she was fully developed. I was dating some other little sixth grader. I was like, bye, and I went after her. I just always chased her always after that, and you know, we went off our separate ways. She broke my heart going into high school. She went off with the older guys, and then we went to separate colleges and we had our fun and then came back and I just.
Speaker 4: Know after college, he was like, he was very persistent, and I was just like, you know what, I'll give it a try, and it was like it was just a match again. And it was the same connection that we had when we were little.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 4: My dad caught us in the closet in seventh grade, thought, yeah, touch about it.
Speaker 7: At our wedding, we just were we really really know each other.
Speaker 1: And you know what, when you cut you in the closet in the act of.
Speaker 7: My shirt was off.
Speaker 3: How are you still alive today?
Speaker 6: I didn't know.
Speaker 7: I mean too, can you imagine now that you have a daughter?
Speaker 5: No, But what I say to him now is like, hey, two grandkids later and it worked out, and I don't I mean at the time he was a saint for not killing me. He threw me in his car. We went down to the local mall and he threw me out of the car, still getting dressed. And this was the pager days, in the payphone.
Speaker 1: Days, I would have had a long drive and a long talk, like he took me down to the room.
Speaker 5: I called my father because her parents were in an uproar, as you can imagine, and I called my father and I told him this whole story about how I just got caught and I.
Speaker 1: Was feeling up his daughter, Yeah, I said, got in a second base. I was about it.
Speaker 5: I called my dad and I said what should I do? And I was waiting for that fatherly advice, and all I heard on the other side was bellowing laughter.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny when you're the dad the other boys, and it was about double standards. It's my daughter. I'm you know, it's a yellowstone. I'm taking you to the train station.
Speaker 5: I pray every day that CARMA's not real because I have a daughter now. But no, I mean, I don't know what it what it is or what it was or and they you know, people talk about connections, and I try not to be so cheesy, but we I always knew and then sent then we like, since we got back together, we have never been apart.
Speaker 2: I think what I'm like noticing about you two sitting here is you really know each other really well. And I was curious how long you'd you know, if you'd like known each other all that time, or you took your kind of breaks from each other. But I think one thing I'm learning even I mean, we've only been married five months, but we've been together five years. But something I've learned in the past couple of months is that I still have a lot to learn about him, which sort of shook me a little bit, Like I feel I know him so well and so intimately, but then you kind of realize, Oh, there's this thing I didn't there's this layer.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff about you know.
Speaker 7: Do you feel that way one hundred percent?
Speaker 4: I think a really nice thing in marriage is I love discovering new things even to this day about him, Like I'll discover like, huh, like there's a book that he wants me to read about his he's a fourth Japanese about his Japanese heritage, and I'll start learning more about like Japanese and I'll be like, he does that.
Speaker 5: Well, my grandmother was a Japanese woman, and I was like, you should understand the culture.
Speaker 4: You have to be interested in your partner. You have to be engaging, you have to be interesting. You have to I always, like every single time and I don't even know if you know this, when we go on a date, it's like I bring some kind of information to talk about, Like I never wanted to like fall flat, and I never want to rest on my laurels as.
Speaker 7: A wife, like you always have to keep the momentum.
Speaker 1: Good way putting it. If you're not finding out new stuff, then you're not doing it right. So instead of maybe anxiety ridden of like oh my gosh, I don't know this person. It's like, I'm excited, I'm still diving into Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I've changed my At first, it did freak me out a little bit, and then I thought, I think it also freaked me out because honestly, because he's so much older than me, I was like, Oh, I'm marrying this dude.
Speaker 3: He's fifty.
Speaker 2: He's got it, like he's totally knows himself, knows himself inside and out, like we're dialed in. And then I was like, oh, still dude. But then I I thought, oh, this is great. You know we're gonna like and we're both going to keep changing too, And so that was that was something that it sounds really simple, but I really I was happy to learn, Oh it's it's not all set and it's not all figured out.
Speaker 3: But that's also a little challenging sometimes too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it keeps it fun.
Speaker 4: And by the way, it's it's probably nice to be married to a fifty year old because they are wise or no offense, you are a wise thirty six year old. You are, but it probably does take a lot of dynamic out when they're older than you.
Speaker 7: I can imagine because.
Speaker 1: There are more our fights are different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your fight's different. Your fight's different than when you were thirty five years old. Oh sure, It's like all you have to do is say yes, dear.
Speaker 7: Well yes.
Speaker 1: It's so easy to take my ego and my whatever out of it because I know, I know what's important now. So before we let you guys go, we got to wrap this up because we're in your house and we're going to switch places here in a second. You guys just had John Stamos on You did who had the bigger crush on him? And if you had the opportunity, which one of you would have had sex with?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 6: Answer too quick.
Speaker 1: He's that stunningly handsome.
Speaker 4: John Stamos was my crush growing up, and it was loking wild to see my husband next to him because I'm like, oh my god, I married my crush.
Speaker 7: Because there's kind of a similarity. It's like the hair.
Speaker 1: I see that, the if I if I squint my eyes just enough, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Put them both in a leather jacket. I'm telling you, there's a there's a I have a type.
Speaker 7: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: So did you scream his name out? Later that night?
Speaker 6: It was me?
Speaker 7: I think Michael screamed his name. You know, he's a beautiful man.
Speaker 5: We what I would say about him is he obviously is known for stunningly good looks and all of that, but like we've we've interviewed a ton of people, talk about great sense of humor, down to earth. He came into the office, was kind to every single person that works in that office, said thank you.
Speaker 7: You don't you know, you don't always get stayed. You don't always get.
Speaker 5: That stayed for hours after to make sure everybody got a picture like nice and you know, you know, being in entertainment, like it's not always the case. And not only that, he's phenomenal on a mic, and we just we just riffed and had so much fun.
Speaker 7: This book is also really really good. I could not put it down.
Speaker 2: I've interviewed him several times. He's a sweetheart of a man and.
Speaker 7: Like magical hum Well he.
Speaker 2: Was like, I mean, I guess I had a crush on Uncle Jesse, but when I first started interviewing him, he'd like just gotten married and had his child, you know, and oh my gosh, that man was just so like so different from you. You guys are probably similar in age and he didn't have a child until much later in life. And to watch someone be so happy to become a parent, it's kind of like what you were talking about earlier with fame, but he'd like waited and like worked his way to like finding the right and get it, and it was sort of it really was powerful to witness someone's dream coming trip.
Speaker 6: And I'll tell you something.
Speaker 5: Doing the interviews that we do, maybe you guys will relate this. A lot of people that I have reached his level of fame and success. They come on these platforms circling back to what we talked about earlier, and it's like, let's have this curated, edited conversation. Feed me the questions which we're not interested to.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 5: We didn't get one edit one down. He's like, ask me whatever you want. I'll talk about whatever. I can be open, and I just think that, like my I mean, there's a lot of compliens, but he really walks the walk and it's humble and it's not even the stuff it was on camera. It was the stuff that we witnessed off camera. Oh okay, yeah, is that I mean?
Speaker 6: So yeah, it was. It was a great interview.
Speaker 3: Well, you ended with John Stamos. That's a great place.
Speaker 1: That's why I want to end it sex with John Stamos. We all like, we all want to make love to John Stamos. Just let's be honest.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Laura and Michael, thank you for opening your home.
Speaker 7: Thank you having us here, Dear media, thank you for having us on, for coming.
Speaker 1: On Skinny Confidential, the podcast, the books, what else, mouth, the water, the mouth tape, the but don't.
Speaker 6: Plug this water at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all got to get your own water.
Speaker 7: We got to get our own water. That's a great idea. Drink like a what did you what was the book called fame?
Speaker 4: Is it on a business plan? I think you're a person to write it. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I could say, yeah, think about it. Thank you guys for being on, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.