Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the Parachute Game. At the end of your puzzle Gym class, I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guests, the awesome Dax Shepherd and Monica Padman, hosts of Armchair Expert and so much more. Welcome Dax and.
Speaker 2: Monica, thanks for having us a j listen. Your creative output in creating the games is already monumental and impressive, but the notion that you have a new intro every time that is that clever is already giving me tremendous anxiety of how you're coming up with it. You're gonna run out right now.
Speaker 1: He's very stressful. Yeah, I spent an hour this morning, and you're nice to say they're clever. They're not. You know, I try, but they are. I mean, they started out making sense like the chaerry on top of your puzzle ice cream, and now they're just you know, absurdist. Well, anyway, as many of your fans know, and you have a lot of them. At the end of your show, Monica often does a fact checking segment where you correct. Yeah, and you did it for my segment. I thank you.
Speaker 2: I was do you remember if you erred in any way.
Speaker 1: I did in the sense that I said I didn't know something, so you told me. Because the question was about turkeys and whether turkeys do they come from Turkey? Why are they? Turkeys are the American and Monica found a yes, they they are. They are native to America, and Turkey has no actual turkeys.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a feather in the cap of all Americans. Turkey heils from here.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And just so you know, ninety nine point nine percent of the facts being corrected are ones I get wrong. So and generally it's just to attack me and not the guest.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but I'm equal opportunity failure. So if you are going to mess up, I am going to call you out on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not going to slide by.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to be fact checked. And in fact, I may have messed up the fact checking story about you fact checking me, so we're going to have to fact check that. But in this game, I am going to tell you two facts about puzzles, about the history of puzzles, and you are going to try to figure out which is true and which is fake. Which is so one truth in one lie. Are you ready for your first set of potential truths? Yes, all right, they're all about puzzles. Option one is the current fastest solving of a Rubik's cube is three point one seconds. Okay, that's fact one. Fact two is, if you turn a Rubik's cube randomly at the rate of one twist per second, it will take three point one million years to solve on average. So the three point one seconds or three point one million years.
Speaker 2: This is a tough ee. Now, my instinct is a buy that three point one million years number, because I have tried numerous times to solve one, and I don't think if you gave me three point one million years, even spinning it intentionally, I wouldn't get it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then also have you seen these people do these pop I mean they're doing it with one hand.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: It's insane mind folded.
Speaker 3: Yes, but exactly blindfolded. And I do think it's a The younger generation is really on top of like mastering the Rubik's cube. Now, so I think the first one's true, you.
Speaker 2: Do, yeah, And I think maybe the second one is just simply unknoble true. Okay. Our final answer is a is correct and two is potentially unknoble.
Speaker 1: You know your Rubik's gibe three one seconds max.
Speaker 2: Park done on both it sounds like a boy sounds.
Speaker 1: We don't know the name increasingly, I mean is it's on It's on YouTube if you want to see it. Is crazy.
Speaker 2: I wish I had.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I never met him, but I did for my book The Man who pulds the foot record, because you can solve it with your feet and that's about sixteen seconds.
Speaker 2: Sixteen seconds with the feet, that's a real thumb your nose at us simpletons that can't even do it with our hands, Like.
Speaker 1: Was that a pun? Were you going with a pun? Or that was?
Speaker 2: No, that would have been on accident.
Speaker 1: But by the way, if you did the random thing, it would take one hundred and eleven billion years. No, Yeah, it's crazy. There are forty three quintillion possible combinations, which is just un that is, it's not unknowable but unfathomable.
Speaker 2: But also great use of time, you know, So are there anything of dedicating billions of years of your life too?
Speaker 3: It's got to be that are people who are solving it, then they know how to solve it, and then they're just working on the time, like they like, they know, they look, there's a trick or a hack.
Speaker 2: There's a system.
Speaker 3: There's a system.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like like it's like chess. Right, They've they've watched the many different permutations of moves so many times that the intuitively and immediately recognize the pattern and know what the response to that given pattern is. So they can probably glance at that cube and they go, oh, it's that pattern. It needs to be spun right left too. You know, I imagine that cognitively what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right. And that's why they can do it blindfolded because they're allowed to see the cube before they put on the blink. That would be pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Oh good, I'm glad you explain that, because I was like, how would someone do it blindfolded? That's doesn't he make any sense that colors feel differently? What are we talking?
Speaker 1: Well a little?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for your next factech and challenge?
Speaker 4: Yes? All right?
Speaker 1: This is why were readers of the Baltimore Sun furious about the April twenty six, twenty twenty puzzle page. Was it because a the newspaper printed a crossword puzzle where the black squares were in the pattern of a satanic pentagram. B. The newspaper printed a spot the Difference puzzle where the two images were identical, so they get to find the differences. But the newspaper accidentally printed the same image, so there were no differences.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask a question to you. I guess as my partner. Yeah, he said, April twenty six. When when is April Fool's Day? That's the first. Yes, first, it's not like they would do the identical pictures as an April Fools gag. We've passed that twenty five.
Speaker 3: But it was an accident. It could have been an accident, which is why I drove people insane.
Speaker 2: Do we know if it's an accident or intentional, Well, it doesn't matter because.
Speaker 1: Then the fake scenario, fake or real scenario. It was an accident, they did not write.
Speaker 2: I think it's the pentagram you do.
Speaker 1: And can you remind me where we are Boston, Baltimore, the Baltimore.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's the identicals you do. Well, we're going to have We're gonna have.
Speaker 1: Different like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, arguments, someone's going to take the lead right now. Okay, well that's our final answers.
Speaker 1: Monica, I'm sticking the winner.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He loves when I win.
Speaker 2: No victory's worth you being in a good mood.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very proud you went for that one, DX and and Monica, Yeah, I love that. It's one of my favorite puzzles of all time.
Speaker 2: Just think how many hours were we did where people were like, where is it? Family members?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's heartbreaking. It is just heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: They should lose their puzzling license over that.
Speaker 1: All right, we have one last fact checking for you. I'm going to give you two riddles. One of these two riddles is the first recorded riddle in history, and one is something I made up this morning. Okay, okay, are you ready? Riddle a what gets fat without eating and pregnant without having sex? And you can try to guess or I can give you the answer. That's not part of the actual fact checking puzzle. But what gets fat without eating and pregnant without having sex is I will say. Both of these are Babylonian puzzles, so they're funnier in the Babylonian and they like rice or.
Speaker 2: Something like what gives birth? Well, like rice gets fat without eating. Is put in water?
Speaker 1: Right, Water is good. Water is like the ocean, or like water is water but up in the air like.
Speaker 3: Evaporation, rain cloud, rain cloud.
Speaker 2: Gets fat without eating.
Speaker 1: Sure it gets bigger and pregnant. I guess like that, Why does the baby is the water the rain abstract? I'm not on board.
Speaker 2: I don't feel bad because I still don't see I don't see it. I've never looked up in the sky and said, like, holy crap, that cloud has twins. Look at the size of it.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and you never see one plopping out another cloud?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Good point. Good point.
Speaker 2: The one's ever said it's raining babies either. Let's just add that. Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: All right, so you're skeptical of it, but but maybe if you spoke Babylonian it would make more sense. All right, here's the other possible riddle. What is a crop that grows in all four seasons? A crop that grows in all four seasons?
Speaker 3: And it's a riddle, so it can't it's not just like corn, Like, it's not like a real answer.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know that wasn't clouds was their attempt at a real answer? Well, already. I feel like I know me too.
Speaker 3: The first one is his No, I.
Speaker 2: Think, oh he thinks we're thinking crops, your early agriculture, civilization.
Speaker 3: I just think, whatever this riddle is, whatever this answer is probably better.
Speaker 1: Should we just.
Speaker 2: Let's try to find out the answer. Let's work it for a minute.
Speaker 3: Like, good job, Okay, what was crop in all four?
Speaker 1: What is a crop that grows in all four seasons? So yeah, you got it. Is something that grows in all four But it's not like you said. It's not like corn, but it is something that grows crop of crop the top. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Oh hair ah, yeah, has got it right.
Speaker 1: That's the first one.
Speaker 3: Is the first riddle, okay, because it's so stupid, this one was clever, a little bit clever, so I think AJ made it up.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll stick with you.
Speaker 1: You are right, and thank you for thinking I'm more clever than Ben. Sure are honored.
Speaker 3: You would never say that cloud thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, these folks, what would they think. I was just reading Hamarabi's code this morning, and I was equally flummix. It's no wonder this riddle didn't hold up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you did great, you busted me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear, Monica did great. She's three for three, two for three, yeah.
Speaker 1: Two for three. That's still a sea a see yuck.
Speaker 3: Really, it's very magna of you.
Speaker 1: Where can people hear more of Dax and Monica?
Speaker 2: We are everywhere one would listen to podcasts, so please check us out Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Speaker 3: Armchair Expert love it.
Speaker 1: And for those puzzlers at home, we have one extra credit. Which of these is true? Alexander the Great started a war because of a jigsaw puzzle or Alexander the Great started a war because of an anagram? One of those is true. Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hello, puzzlers, this is Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show, we played Armchair Export with Monica and Dax. It's Armchair Export, not Expert. Every answer is the name of a well known podcast with one letter changed. Your extra credit clue was from n p R. This show explores wheat barley and oats that you cannot see with host shanker Vedantum and the answer, of course is hidden grain, a single letter change from the great show Hidden Brain. But your brains aren't hidden, are they. They're right there for us to see here in the puzzle Lab. Catch you next time.