Speaker 1: Hey, this is Andy and Samantha and welcome to Steff.
Speaker 2: I've never told you a production of iHeartRadio, and once again we are thrilled to be joined by the talented, the terrific Eves. Welcome hello once again for another edition of Female First. We feel that we are approaching a milestone, but we have yet to confirm it. We're getting close. We're getting close to something. I'm sure and positively. Yes, how are you, Eves?
Speaker 1: How have you been?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty good today. Yeah, I think a lot of stuff has been going on. But it's been a good February. You know, it's been it's been a packed February, but it's been it's been pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a.
Speaker 2: I have a like a dryer wait erase calendar that gives me way more stress than it should because every the beginning of every month I have to like erase it and write everything that I have to do in the month.
Speaker 1: And I was looking over February today, I was like, Wow, this was a busy month for me. They did that. Yeah, February did that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, That's why I gave us that that extra day this month is like as much as possible in this month.
Speaker 1: We're gonna give you an extra day to fit it all. Oda. Yes, well I will be doing my calendar tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about before this, what sounds like people are having a lot of stress dreams. It sounds like that, Uh, we're all stressed out and it is impacting our dreams, particularly maybe time based missing something. I suspect daylight savings time has something to do with it. But I love I know that it's like kind of a thing people don't talk about, but I love talking about dreams.
Speaker 1: So this is really interesting.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's controversial, Annie, because some people like, nobody wants to hear your dreams. They're only interesting to you because they happen in your head. And I'm like, no, I want to hear everyone's dreams. Tell me, tell me everything that's going on. And you're subconscious, Let me analyze you, let me judge.
Speaker 1: You, Let me judge you. That's the key.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, it is so fascinating. It's to me a thing that our brain does, and that Yeah, what does that say?
Speaker 1: What does it say?
Speaker 2: I had a dream last night that I got these increasingly intense notes and the last one was like and I've been standing in front of you this whole time, and.
Speaker 1: There was a standing in front of mill. Wow. What happened next? Did you know? You woke up?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: I was like, damn, yeah, I need to relax.
Speaker 3: What needs to happen in real life for that not to happen in your dreams again?
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to be better about like stretching more and taking like the time and going on walks, but apparently it's not enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not enough, not enough.
Speaker 3: I had a dream that there was a crocodile in my kitchen and it crocks specifically, you know, we don't have crocks here in the United States. It wasn't a gator though, I just I knew it was a croc It was very specific.
Speaker 1: And I went to my sister and I was like, oh my god, there's a crock in the kitchen. Can you get it for me? And she was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 3: So she took a shoe in the kitchen and like came back and she was like, I got it.
Speaker 1: I was like, you did, that's great. She's like yeah. I was like, what did you do?
Speaker 3: She's like, I grabbed it by the tail and I took this and I hit it in the head and it died, and I was like, Okay, I don't think that will work in real life, but you did that, and I am happy about it because I'm no longer in danger.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's really weird.
Speaker 3: Weird weird things definitely around time too. So I think there's something in the air. I think there's something in the universe, something spinning differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was telling some ante recently. I've been talking about all the cicadas that are coming. It might actually impact our recording because they could be loud enough. They're pretty loud, so we'll see. There's a lot of stuff in the air, is what I'm saying. Yeah, a lot of stuff coming. Is it another cicada year? Don't they only come out every It's two cicadas, two roots of cicadas. Has happened since the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: So we are at a different time. Y'all. Be careful, y'all.
Speaker 3: Whatever conspiracies you believe in right now, they're probably true and choiced on the ways that things are converging.
Speaker 1: All these bird things are happening, and he has made that intiction with the cicadas.
Speaker 3: I think I'm on every show for the past a month now, so it's been and even like conversation, like we had a business meeting, we had a team meeting, and immediately came out as well, and.
Speaker 1: Do you think you were a cicada in the past life?
Speaker 2: I might have been, because they're very they have strings like clocks and patterns, and I'm very big on like timing and numbers and patterns.
Speaker 1: I could see it. I could see it. Maybe that's the key.
Speaker 2: Back when movies not really no, okay, but they have some that are like, okay, I'm getting.
Speaker 1: We wanted to know the depth of your knowledge about because we know it runs deep. It's deep.
Speaker 2: Back when, remember when movies used to do like the big websites that came out with their release. For The Mummy too, I took a what what were you in your past life? And I got a beetle, so it could be could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like it was. It was also very thematically centered around the movie, because.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was it should have been a locust, species of insects and animals or whatever. There are very limited options.
Speaker 2: It's true, all right, I guess I've taken a grain of salt with it.
Speaker 3: I just made that way too, way more technical than it needed to be. Sorry, I really didn't mean to city bubbles there. It's you know, it was probably time that bubble be first.
Speaker 2: The Mummy too website was not like tapping into something in another realm. That's all right, all right, Well who did you bring for us to discuss today?
Speaker 1: Eves?
Speaker 3: So today we're going to be talking about Belinda Sutton. And there are some tenuous first but I think this is one of those biographies that I mean, it's worth talking about and a lot of times first star like that. So it's just kind of she was one of the earliest, she wrote one of the earliest known. Some people says slave narratives bad African women. I think that's a little loose. But also petition she made has been seen by some as the first call for reparations for American slavery. But what I think I'll say here is just that she wrote a pretty early petition. This was in the seventeen hundreds, with a call for compensation based on the free labor that she did for her enslaver, and of course that's worth talking about. I think in general, a lot of the people that we talk about here on female first, they usually have something to do in terms of accomplishments around the work that they do, or you know, the feels that they were in, and this one is a little bit different in that regard. But I just think it's important to talk about the history of enslaved people in general, because so much of that history has been erased or not recorded at all in the first place. So I'm always here for talking about something in that regard. Of course, reparations is a conversation that's been coming up a lot in news media for the last decade, so it's relevant in that regard. And yeah, so we've covered some people who were in slaved and some people who were born in times when slavery was a thing but were born as quote unquote free people of color, or had other circumstances around that why they weren't enslaved even when it was during.
Speaker 1: The slavery era.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think that Belinda Sutton's history is really interesting, important to talk about in another one of those instances where we don't know a lot about her life, but that doesn't mean that we still shouldn't talk about her life. Yeah, so her petition was also related to freedom suits, which is a very fascinating, very fascinating history to me, one of the ways that black people resisted. There are so many forms of resistance that enslaved people did, but this was one of the ways. And this wasn't particularly a freedom suit that Belinda Sutton did. It was more about compensation, but it's related to that history of resistance. And I won't get ahead of myself there. We'll talk about that later, but that's another reason I wanted to bring her. And then also I'm thinking, I don't know if I'm right about this. We've done a lot of episodes of Female First, but this might be the earliest story we've covered because it's from the eighteenth century. Potentially, don't hold me to that, but I think it's I like that, and I want to bring more people who are from earlier centuries on. It's just a little harder to do because the histories are a little bit less recorded a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's it though, Yeah, And I think that it is one of the fascinating and sometimes very upsetting things, is that something as far back as this we are still talking about it is still relevant and important. So I do think that is the reason why we should look back at these things and.
Speaker 1: See where we've changed and where we have it and all of those things.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, thank you so much for bringing mesus always.
Speaker 1: Shall we get into some history, Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So Belinda Sutton was born around seventeen twelve or seventeen thirteen. We don't have an exact date for her birth, but she was born in West Africa, maybe somewhere around Ghana or Nigeria. And she was captured when she was around twelve years old, and then she was captured by slavers. Of course, she was enslaved by the royals, specifically Isaac Royal Junior. He lived in Medford, Massachusetts, so that's where the property was that we'll talk about where Belinda worked. And he was one of the wealthiest enslavers in the colony and enslaved the most people in the colony at the time. It was around seventeen thirty two or so when he enslaved Belinda, and this was about seven years or so after she was kidnapped and arrived on the other side of the Atlantic. He moved his family and about twenty seven enslaved people to Massachusetts. That was around seventeen thirty seven, after he had a sugarcane plantation in Antiga, So there's some.
Speaker 1: Movement there after.
Speaker 3: Isaac Royal enslaved Belinda Sutton and they made their way to New England.
Speaker 1: And she was working for him.
Speaker 3: So during the American Revolution, though, Isaac Royle was a loyalist, so he left the colonies in seventeen seventy five. First he went to Nova Scotia and eventually he made his way to England. But after he left, of course he had this estate. He had all these this property left, and he had enslaved people who were still left there.
Speaker 1: So all those people they were manumitted.
Speaker 3: So Belinda, there's not a ton that's known about her. We do know that she went to live in Boston, and we also know that she had two children, Joseph and Prine, who are recorded as having been baptized in seventeen sixty eight, and Joseph may have been sold when she was freed. But yeah, so there's not a ton that's known about her personal life.
Speaker 1: But a lot of what we.
Speaker 3: Do know about her life revolves around the petition that we'll talk about in just a moment. So just a little bit of background. You know, Massachusetts was the first colony to formally legalize slavery, and of course this all of this was happening in the north, so this was still a thing there.
Speaker 1: People were enslaved.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Belinda is mentioned in Isaac Royle's will that was dated May twenty sixth, seventeen seventy eight, which he wrote during his exile to England, and he said, I do also give unto my set daughter, my negro woman Linda, in case she does not choose her freedom. If she does choose her freedom, to have it provided that she gets security that she shall not be a charge to the town of Medford. So Royal told his friend Willis Hall, who was the executive of his will, to pay Belinda thirty pounds for three years. And on February fourteenth, seventeen eighty three, Belinda presented a petition to the Massachusetts legislature. In it she acts to be paid an annual pension out of Royal's estate for her unpaid labor. So, as history professor roy E Finkenbahn said in his essay Belinda's petition, it was quote a moral and intellectual appeal. So, well, I'll go through a little bit of what the petition said. So in the petition, Belinda talks about these fond memories she has from her life in West Africa. Then she talks about the white man coming to her village and being kidnapped and taken across the Atlantic. Then she goes into the awful conditions of being enslaved, and then builds up her argument that all the labor she's put in for the Royals over the years means that she's owed money. And finally she asked the legislators to grant her an allowance from Royal's estate. So you see her building up her case by talking about how difficult it was, by talking about how much work that she had done, and that she had earned this money, and that she was now old and she was supposed to get this money. This money was hers and just a note on her name, So you'll see her referred to as Belinda, and then you'll also see her referred to as Belinda Royal sometimes, which was obviously after her enslavers. But in twenty fifteen, researchers found that in a seventeen eighty eight petition she called herself Belinda Sutton of Boston in the County of Suffolk widow and that where her name, Belinda Sutton as I'm referring to her, comes from. But it is unknown who or when she got married to, so that's a question in her story, and researchers are still looking more into her story to learn more about her. But it's likely that Belinda couldn't read or write. So of course we have this petition which we see was written, and it was probably drafted by someone else. So as far as what scholars have said in the research, it's surmised that it could have been at big asterisks there because it's not really known, but it could have been this person named Prince Hall, who was a black activist in Boston at the time. He would have seen other and be familiar with other petitions that were similar that were presented to the Massachusetts legislature, and he wrote other things asking for emancipation in general, like money for black folks who wanted to move to West Africa and other things. So that's how she got this written. Obviously, this happened a lot of times with people who could write and who advocate it for people who were enslaved and a lot of them couldn't read or write, so there were people who often did this in Prince Hall was one of those people. And it's just kind of an educated an educated guess, because he did a lot of this work all the time. So yeah, what happened was the legislature did grant her and prime her child fifteen pounds and twelve shillings per year, which would have been paid out of the rents and profits of royal's estate. And that sounds all well and good, like okay, yeah, but two things. One, she didn't get it as she was supposed to get it over the course of the years. And two, it wasn't like Massachusetts was doing this because they were.
Speaker 1: Just so progressive.
Speaker 3: It was probably because he was a loyalist, and obviously Massachusetts wasn't rocking with loyalists, the people who were loyal to.
Speaker 1: England and the crown.
Speaker 3: And also the money was coming out of his estate, so it's not like it was really coming out of their pocket, so it was just kind of like a win win and could be seen as a punishment for the estate of the royal family, like you left us behind and the state seized the property after he fled, so it was theirs to do with what they wanted to.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so.
Speaker 3: And June eighteenth, seventeen eighty three, the petition was reprinted in the New Jersey Gazette. The editor of that publication was a Quaker, and plenty of anti slavery writing was printed in the publication, and it was reprinted in other publications as well. So you can't go online and read the petition itself. But yeah, some of those narratives that were reprinted and those other publications were the people who reprinted them took a lot of liberties with it. Let's say that they changed the narrative to be able to fit their narratives, which was an anti slavery narrative. So the petition in his reprints made its way overseas to Britain, and there were a lot of people who were up for the anti slavery cause over there on moral grounds and things like that, and they took their liberties to be like, Okay, these are things I'm going to add to the story that I'm going to put my little my essay on the side, or my opinion piece on the side to go along with this petition or make it seem like this was written in a more first person narrative kind of way to say, look, how terrible slavery is, and you know, take this story to be able to understand why you should be a part of the anti slavery cause as well, of course them leaving out that royal was a loyalist and had those ties back to England a lot of the time. But yeah, they failed to pay the pension after the first year, and this is where we'll see her continuing to petition over the year since seventeen eighty seven. In seventeen ninety three was her last known petition, she would ask for her pension to be reinstated, and she got the money until seventeen ninety the estate refused to pay. So there was a lot of back and forth over the years, but what it comes down to is that she didn't get all the money that she had been granted and that she wanted, and she continued to say, I'm old, I'm not doing that well economically and I could really use this money.
Speaker 1: So she died in the seventeen nineties.
Speaker 3: It's not completely clear exactly when she died, but it's known that it was probably in the seventeen nineties because there was a petition that was filed where the Royal family said, Belinda's died, we're asking for the money back that have been set aside for her. So yeah, very interesting. There were other people who petitioned for compensation, and many of them were men, but a lot of them didn't get anything from it. But in the end it was on the record. Belinda continued to try and say that this is what I'm owed, this is what I deserve, and even though she probably knew, even though she was granted it, even though she probably had an idea that I might not get this at all, she continued to press someone for it. So the Massachusetts government determined that like the enslaved, people who were left behind by loyalist enslavers might be granted money from their enslavers confiscated property. So it wasn't like this was an unprecedented judgment, like this was something that the Massachusetts government was already thinking about because Royal wasn't the only loyalists who fled and left behind property and the people that he considered property. But Royal didn't fulfill his duty to take care of that, so the state would have to do the job. So yeah, it's it. It's not wholly just it's not something that was unprecedented. It was interesting that she took this anti slavery angle in this angle of reparations in terms of like, this is unpaid labor and I need my back money, I need this money that I'm owed. But it was also like the other element of that was that the person who was quote unquote caring for her in the government's eyes, who was supposed to take care of her monetary she wasn't there. So there were other people who could take care of themselves. But then when there were elderly people, are people who were sick, who had more difficulties taking care of themselves. Now the state was like, Okay, what are we going to do about this? And Belinda's story has come up in recent years. For the last decade, as I said before, there have been a lot of talk around reparations, how reparations would look, essays written about reparations, a bunch of people arguing on the internet about who deserves reparations and whether anybody deserves reparations at all. All of those things, you know, I don't have to go into. But one thing that did come up is Isaac Royal and the money that he donated to Harvard that helped contribute to the establishment of the law school. There was stuff named after Royal there, and Harvard renamed a courtyard for Belinda Sutton instead in commemoration of her and all the others who labor for the Royals for free. And Harvard also established the Belinda Sutton Distinguished Lecture and the Blenda Sutton Academic Conference, and they said that it quote featured speakers and topics that advance our understanding of the legacy of slavery and expropriation and the ongoing pursuit of racial justice. So that is the story of Belinda Sutton.
Speaker 2: And like you said, I'm so glad that people are doing this research even though it's hard to find things, because it is so important is ongoing. And I'm glad that you bring these topics to us too, because it can be so difficult to track down these the details and piece together someone's life when so much has it been recorded or has been raised. So I just really appreciate the people doing that research and for you Eves to bring it to us as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm happy too, and I think it's cool to see how things have changed over time, like seeing that in twenty fifteen they learned a little bit more about her last name. It's just when we see things like that now we can understand that. Okay, it's not like all hope is lost, like we won't be able to find anything else about her. There's still more that can be uncovered. All the people who are still working at the Royal House and slave quarters in Massachusetts and the people who are doing work there and doing intentional work about finding out more about the people who were enslaved there because they literally built the state, you know, like we're the reason for all of this wealth that the royal family had, and that work is ongoing, Like it's it's nice that people are able to dedicate their time to that because it's such important research.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is true, Like we just did an episode on Savor on Melinda Russell, who is considered the first black American woman to publish a cookbook, and that discovery was in twenty eighteen, I think, like very recent. It was two thousand and seven, but they're still looking into it and it's very very recent, and they were just like pieces of her, like scraps of her, but people were determined, like we've got to get to the bottom of this cookbook. It was almost like mythical, but then they did. So it's true, like there is still hope. And even if it is like difficult and so long ago and can feel like, well, I'm never going to find this, I just have so much respect for people who are like, no, I'm going to keep looking and we're going to at least be able to like put this story together and maybe expound on this person's life. It can give context to what we already know. So I really I appreciate people who do that work so much. Yeah, me too, Yeah, and we appreciate you. Eves, Yes, thank you so much for coming on. I know we have a milestone of some sort coming. Where can the good listeners find you?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Instagram at not Apologizing. You can also just go to my website Eves Jeffcoat dot com and find me from there. And you can also listen to On Theme, which is a show that our co host with Katie Mitchell, and it's about black storytelling, so you can hear lots of stories there. And you can also find me on many many other episodes here on Sminty of female First talking about people who did things in history that were amazing, that are worth talking about and their accomplishments.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, definitely check out all that stuff. If you have not already listeners, we hope that you have. Yes, thanks for coming on. Thank you listeners. If you would like to contact us, you can our email step at mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast or in instagrament TikTok at stuff I Never Told You. You have a t folk store and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer May and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 1: Thank you and thanks to you.
Speaker 2: For listening Stuff I'll Never Told You to the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app. Have a podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.