Speaker 1: The late fifteen to ten touched up Sucker.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys, We are back with another special edition of Chargers Weekly on the road in Indy at the twenty twenty four NFL Scouting Combine, as always joined by Matt, Buddy Smith and Money. Typically it's just you and Meal on the pod. The luxury of having some amazing guests today and.
Speaker 3: Really all we Oh, I thought you were saying that Mike Silver's joining us from two tables over it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mike doesn't Noah to talk.
Speaker 3: Mike extreams, Yeah, Mike, we worked together for a number of years. At anytime you engage, he gets excited and the decimals tend to carry a little bit. That's what you were saying. Maybe they didn't near my intro of that Mice was joining. But yes, we got a lot of folks today, some people you're really gonna want to hear from Lance Airline, who I worked with for a number of years. We do the draft together and Lance Lance was think of Dennis Ackersley, not a one inning closer. Lance was a three inn enclosure because he would come in DJ Bucky starting to get a little weathered, you know, on day three you're in the sixth and seventh round, lands like, give me that ball man, let us go. This is my sweet spot. Truly, the person that knows more about the players that are being drafted than anybody else doing this. He's got to write all the scouting reports for NFL and NFL dot Com, the books that we would use as our you know, cheat sheets. He was the one that would pen them. So to have him on it's going to be great. My favorite article every year when it comes to football, professional or college is the Bruce Velpman Freak List. It's and that's a lot of people in football will tell you that. So Bruce is going to join us talk about the freaks that he wrote about earlier before the college football season, updating the freak list now with the draft upon us what we're going to see here at the combine. So he'll share a lot of that. And and also, by the way, two guys that are very are very familiar with Jim Harbaugh and cover Jim Harbaugh and his assistant coaches in college you can speak to kind of what the Chargers are going to get going here, gonna get going with here moving forward.
Speaker 2: So it's not hyperbolely like I wish both of those conversations win an hour each because we could have gone on and on about the prospects and more about Michigan and Gym. And then I've seen Jeremy Fowler joined us too, and we're gonna roll that interview right now. Jeremy so connected around the league, and you know, the first domino to fall really is getting kept compliant in free agency. So we get into that with Jeremy now, so let's roll that. And then we got Bruce and Lance on DAP, Jeremy Fowler ESPN joins us, and Jeremy. Every time this year, this thing gets bigger and bigger, and I don't think it could get any bigger, and yet it does.
Speaker 1: What's this week like for you?
Speaker 5: So this week for me is there's a lot of roaming, like get my steps in, just trying to run into as many people as I can, you know, team execs, scouts, coaches, that's kind of the name of the game.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: For me, it's mostly about getting ready for free agency. That's probably my main focus of this point. But it's just a good launching of the offseason. Get to run into a lot of good media folks like yourself and old friends and things like that, so it's a good week.
Speaker 3: How big of a deal was the salary cap bump, Like, did it take teams in your opinion, by surprise? Did they did they think it was gonna be that big.
Speaker 4: I don't think it took them by surprise.
Speaker 5: It might have been a few million over I think most had it around two fifty So two fifty five was like a nice surprise, but it wasn't shocking. But it's this was sort of the anticipated jump from when they did the CBA a few years ago, like this was the kick in right, this is thirty million overall. That's a big percentage inflation hike. That will be far different. I'm just fascinated to see if teams will actually spend that money or maybe they just cut less players or save it in other areas, you know, because the struggle is always the agents will say, well, this is the capspike, so these should be the salary demands now, and the teams are like, not so fast. And that's sort of the song and dance.
Speaker 2: Which is fascinating with the chargers because that's the first order of business is figure out Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Khaleel and Joey. They are the four biggest numbers yep on the cap sheet. How do you think they do this? Obviously, Keenan means a great deal to Justin. You know, Mike is a is a great young player. But you just can't keep all these guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, certainly they're gonna have to kind of create a formula where you status quo is not gonna work, right. You know, the cap hits are all what thirty plus, I mean, it's more than half your entire cap. So my sense is, and this is a lot of people are talking about it, the Chargers specifically of what they do with this four guys. You know, Keenan Allen to me is a strong extension candidate. I just think even though he's up there in age, really productive player, was having a great year before he got hurt, and he probably could have played through that injury. It sounds like they maybe shut him down a little bit when things weren't going well at the end of the year to sort of save him. But they can work something out. I think on an extension Mike Williams loved the player, but coming off the injury, I think it's gonna be tougher, you know, so I could see that as an outright release.
Speaker 6: We'll see.
Speaker 5: I know some teams are talking about Khalil Mack when I asked them about trade candidates, Like I don't necessarily think the Chargers are shopping him, but he's on team's radar, even though he's thirty three big production last year. Some teams have just always had an affinity for him, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, like a missing link piece to like contending team.
Speaker 5: Maybe I've heard his name more than Jerry Bosa. I don't know if that means anything. I just I think Max Scots and he's got a market.
Speaker 4: I'd say that, what do you think the number changes?
Speaker 3: Because kind of what our speculation was, and that's all it is is if they can get a Day two pick, that probably any of these guys are available with that. Oh sure, yeah, I mean do you think that's do you think that's realistic? Is not behind the sky?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It might be hard to get a Day two pick for Joey Yeah at this stage. I mean, he's really interesting because he's always been kind of that high end pass rusher, like as far as what you want out of what a guy can do and his technique and explosion and all this stuff. But I think it was what the last four years, only one season with more than seven and a half sacks, Like I was shocked by that. Yeah, So that just he's heard and the production hasn't been there anyways. So it's like, I know he's a great player, but I don't know if they can just run it back at that number. So and I don't know they want to extend him either, so you got to maybe they can restructure it or come to sort of an agreement where he wants to stay, maybe he wants to get out and go play with his brother in Sam fran I mean, it seems like all options will probably be on the table there.
Speaker 2: I look at what Washington did last year with its younger edge rushers, right, you know the Bears trade a second and then have to pay Montest sweat the or Chase Young goes to San Francisco for a third. Yeah, obviously different case, but still edge rushers. It's just it's a very interesting dynamic because Khalil has been healthy with the Chargers and very productive. It's like, do you do you roll the dice on that for another year? Because he only has one year left. And then Joey, who hasn't been healthy. When he is healthy, he's among the best in the NFL. So do you think that, you know, eyes in double holder right, there's thirty two NFL team. Do you think that there's one team or two teams that may say, hey, you know what we can we can work with Joey. You're like, we can make Khalil our missing.
Speaker 5: Link, probably just at a cost. It really depends on what teams would be willing to give up on that scenario. And the Chargers, as long as they make a few moves, they don't have to address all four contracts necessarily. Yeah, you know, like if they get enough space, then they could maybe keep mackt his number. It'd be tough, you know, because it's high. But these teams can create cab space restructures pretty quickly. You can make fifty million dollars go away in a hurry. So they have to make a few moves, but they don't necessarily have to do all four. So maybe they run it back with one of those two pass rushers at their current number.
Speaker 3: Kind Of one of the things that we feel like they want more than anything is to trade back from number five, But that, of course is going to be predicated on a fourth quarterback working his way into that number five spot or maybe the third one slipping. So you mentioned free agency, Jeremy, you know you've got Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson. There are Justin Fields a trade candidate. You know, it feels like Atlanta, Denver, Minnesota, maybe depending on Kirk. Like, what do you how do you think the free agent thing works with these quarterbacks and where.
Speaker 5: They end up. Well, Chicago's in the driver's seat. They really have to make a move before anything happens. I think you know that they have to trade Justin Fields at some point and probably want to do it before the new league year out of respect for him. Right, that's assuming they're taking Kayleb Williams or a quarterback at number one. But I haven't talked to anybody who believes the opposite, you know.
Speaker 1: I think Ryan Pohl said that too. He's like, we want to do right by Justin Yeah.
Speaker 5: The direction, I mean he was hinting at that reality. So that has to drop before anything else. I think, you know, the what do you.
Speaker 4: Think that market is? By the way, is it robust?
Speaker 5: Or now I mean teams I've talked to, say a day two pick. He's worth a day two pick, maybe a second at the highest, maybe even a third, but as a day two somewhere right. So not robust but not bad, you know, but I don't know it. It's interesting. I don't know a natural home firm. I would say Atlanta, but their offense with the coordinator coming from the Sean McVeagh tree passing with rhythm and timing. I don't know if that's his right offense. Maybe they could tweak it, you know, Pittsburgh would be a great fit, but I don't know that. They don't just run it back with Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph. So somebody has to be in love with Justin Fields to do it. I don't quite know who that is just yet, but I think there's interest certainly. But we'll see who pulls the trigger on.
Speaker 4: And what about Kirk what do you think?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, Minnesota's gonna try, certainly, And my sense is, you know, he's been playing so well there that they'll they'll try to work it out. But you know, he's a great negotiator. He's got a lot of fully guaranteed or close to fully guaranteed contracts, and if they're sick of doing that, which they might be, right, that's their decision. Like that's really to me, it's an easy negotiation. If they're willing to do that, then it makes it easier to talk. They're not, then you know, he could get insulted and want to leave, and Atlanta would be the perfect spot for him in my opinion.
Speaker 2: So the draft is obviously where the Chargers are going to build their future. But with free agency on the horizon and knowing that they may not have a ton of cap space to spend, there's certain areas where you're going to have to get veterans, especially if you want to build this running game. Because the Chargers running games has been frankly one of the worst in the NFL. They're trying to change that completely, flipping it on its head.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 2: And what are the potential options as far as offensive linemen? Maybe a running back that won't cost a ton. You know, the Charges have kind of gone down that well with fourth round, third round picks. I'll be with you the previous administration, but yeah, what do you think they're on that front?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, they're gonna have a lot of options. Picking at five as an interesting spot because if you want to get an offensive lineman, it's probably too high for a guard. There are a lot of good tackles in the draft, but if you want to take one of five, I don't know where they have them stacked. Running back is fascinating to me because I definitely think they'll upgrade there and they want to get somebody with some power and speed, and free agency has a lot of that. You know, Saekwon Barkley, Derrick Henry, you know, Andre Swift, all those guys. So we'll see Josh Jacobs if he gets free, and then you can always draft a good one day two or day three. So the theme seems to be the bolster the running game with a little more help in multiple areas. You know, I think they'll probably get a guard at some point, especially it sounds like Zion Johnson maybe hasn't lived up to it yet, but he's a young player that he can maybe still grow into that and some guys need two or three years, so it depends on how they feel about him.
Speaker 3: It was it did not go well for the running backs. That kind of voiced their displeasure with the way the NFL was working last year. The franchise tags, the amount of money they were getting paid really didn't deliver, and you saw these sort of discount deals deliver for Detroit, you know, for Chicago a little bit. Do you think we'll see that with these big names, with Derrick Henry, with Saquon Barkley, or do you think there's a market for them to get you know, ten plus millions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a market for some of them, but there are only so many chairs and the problems are a lot of good guys. So you know, Derrick Henry, he'll have the option to go back to ten to see, but it's probably up to him. I don't think it'll be a huge number, but I think they would come respectably, you know. Saquon to me probably has still as the best chance to get you know, ten plus million somewhere, but all bets are off of that market. It's just never been strong, will never but at least for the last five years, it's been a struggle. So I don't know if marquee names are going to change that all that much. They'll help, though, So yeah, I think there's decent money, but.
Speaker 2: Not great Jereba, how do you view this division now? It runs through the Chiefs. We know that that's the obvious, but Antonio Pierce is now the head coach in Vegas and they have a lot of work to do in terms of finding a quarterback and some other pieces. Sean Payton is looking for a quarterback, and you know, the Chargers bring in the biggest name on the head coaching carousel and Jim Harball.
Speaker 1: How do you view this division moving forward?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's interesting you mentioned Antonio Pierce. As far as coaching pedigree, you got like Super Bowl winners or National championship winners in Hardball's case, and then you got Antonio Pierce, Wo's just starting and never really been a full time coordinator for very long of college NFL level. So I'm fascinated by that. You know, he's gonna bring an edge and he had them playing good football late. So we'll see if that's enough, and you know, they can get the right quarterback and build around it. But they they seem more set on a reset probably in Vegas where it could be a year or two, and you know, the Chargers they can you know, there's still enough talent where they can get good in a hurry. Denver's sort of middle of the road. But you know, I think they're betting big on Sean Payton. They feel like just with his pedigree, his ability to maximize talent, use talent the right way will pay off. It's it's still a strong division, maybe not what it was supposed to be two years ago. Do you remember, well, yeah, yeah, remember that that's conference of all our best division of all time. Yeah, they were talking about that because then, you know, Russell was still a hot name. The feeling was he was going to elevate them, and obviously that didn't work out. So not quite as good and maybe not as good as the AFC nor things like that, but but still respectable.
Speaker 3: Last thing for me, Jeremy appreciate it. I mentioned it kind of just a minute ago. And that's the fourth quarterback and talking to teams. Do you feel like it's gonna to go one two three quarterback and that maybe a JJ McCarthy is now working his way up and making his way onto a lot of teams Radars is the guy.
Speaker 5: I think it will probably go that way. One two three. McCarthy's sort of a sliding scale. I mean there, I've told you enough scouts that love him. You know, maybe not top ten, but like, hey, I was a GM and I was picking twelfth or eleventh or fifteenth. I certainly think about it, right, So you know, you look at Minnesota at eleven, Vegas at thirteen, some other options. You know, it could happen, but I'd be surprised if he's super high. But the other three there's a feeling that it could very well go one, two, three.
Speaker 2: Right, Jerry Fowler, I know you're a busy man. Appreciate you stopping about Josh Weekly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, guys, appreciate it. Well.
Speaker 2: Money, this is a treat for me when college football in the NFL intersect.
Speaker 1: This is probably the best guess you can have though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know you want to talk about bucket list. When it comes to prepping for the draft. One thing you got to check is the Freaks List. And it really is one of the most entertaining and informative articles that you're gonna read every year. Bruce Feldman does it at The Athletic obviously covers college football for Fox very well versed in what we're about to watch over these next few days. Bruce, But I would imagine do people do people lobby you on their behalf to be part of the Freaks List? How does it work when you just start putting it together?
Speaker 6: They do.
Speaker 7: There's a couple players who have done that, and so you have to check it out and see, Okay, is what this guy has just emailed me out of the blue or over Instagram?
Speaker 4: Is there? You know? Is it legit?
Speaker 7: And most times it has been. It hasn't happened that many times. But it's like the guys who have you know, you talk to the coaches and they're they're not thrilled that their players are probably self promoting, but if they're legit, they usually like, okay, I do think because a lot of times the guys who do this stuff, you know, it didn't happen by accident. They've done the work and everything like that. So what was really cool for me because I've been doing it now for twenty years and at some point at Fox I became a sideline reporter and before games, I'd be on the field and there would be NFL scouts and they'd come up and talk to me about the Freaks List, and I was like kind of blown away. By the people who are reading it and the caliber of people in the NFL who have awareness of it, and then it kept growing, and so at one point, probably within the last five years, I started using the Scouts for Intel as well, because they have obviously a lot of it, and it just it's become a project I work on all year round, but really for like the last three months before it comes out. The one thing that's that got tricky in the last couple of years were and I remember you guys remember obviously Trek Wollan, who's now been a terrific cornerback for.
Speaker 4: The Seahawks, But when he was at Utsa.
Speaker 7: I mean at the time, nobody knows who Utsa is really unless you live in Texas. His coach, Jeff Trailer, we talked about him. He goes, when's this going to run? And I told him specifically, he goes, Okay. He was like kind of hesitant because at that point you put out that there's a cornerback who's six 's four, who can vertical jump forty two inches and runs a four to three three, you know, big twelve and SEC schools are going to throw, you know, try to throw their way into getting that kid to leave, but if you run it right before training camp, he's kind of locked in. And I think that's one of the things that schools are like a little area of is putting somebody out there, especially if they're at a smaller school, that all of a sudden, now a bigger school is going to swoop in and poach them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll dive into this freaks list. I want to start with just Jim Harball and the fact that he's now in the NFL. You know Jim very well, and there's eighteen Michigan players here. Just your reaction to him actually being in La and Elsa Gundo now with the Chargers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean even you say it, it's still a little bit surreal. You know, like Jim was never anywhere as a coach for that long. This is the longest he had been at Michigan, and we had a lot of Michigan games, and you know, it's crazy because I remember, I think Fox we got like the first sit down he had a Michigan that was like one of these things where because we'd been working to get it and it was like can you get up here by Tuesday or whatever? It was like Sunday night, and I was like, yeah, I guess, and you know, all of a sudden, it was kind of a whirlwind. And then I remembered his first game. They were playing at Utah. It was a Fox game, and it doesn't seem like that long ago, but it was actually a long time ago, right, And you know, I think most fans, especially Big ten fans, remember he was kind of on a hot seat of sorts. Couldn't beat the art trivel, that hated our trival. And then you know, I think he got a group of players who were really, really resilient, you know, in that group, Aiden Hutchinson absolutely, and there was a bunch of them and they finally beat they finally beat the Buckeyes. And then I think they took a chip on their shoulder of like everyone thought that was a fluke, there was snow, it was this, It was that, And what you realize was him and a name that I don't know if Charger fans know much about. And then and again, at college football is different how it and NFL. But like his strength, coach Ben Herbert was invaluable to them, creating the culture and developing the toughness. And you mentioned eighteen guys here and they did things in the development aspect of players that honestly nobody has done in college football, like Nick Saban's done at an incredibly high level in Tuscaloosa. But I do think they were they were working with like less and more less. You know, they were working with more foreign five star guys and these You know, there's a guy walking around here and you know, hope you guys meet him, Chris Jenkins, whose dad was a famous defensive lineman, Chris Jenkins, as Jim told me over the summer, the mutant of all mutants, and he was actually number one on our Freaks list, and he came in at like two hundred and fifty some pounds and now he's like three zero seven, and he's super explosive and he's selfless, and you know, like he kind of im one of the guys. There's a handful of guys who I feel like epitomized Jim Harbaugh's Michigan program, and he would be one of them.
Speaker 3: When you you mentioned he's you know, kind of moved along right San Diego to Stanford, Stanford to San Francisco, San Francisco to Michigan. Do you think, because we know we tried to get out. Like you said, there was a moment where it felt like Michigan wanted to get out. But yeah, do you think that's maybe him evolving, maybe him changing a little bit, that he did stick around a little bit longer, that those two sides were able to get along a little bit better.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I do think from people I trust, you know, a year ago, he had a real shot at the Broncos job, and from what I was told, he was like, I want to coach this team and meeting this team being the eighteen plus you know, eighteen guys plus everybody else, and I think he was really loyal, like those guys, you know. Around the National title game before, I remember, there was a lot of stories from a lot of conversations about cool Jim, and cool Jim was like a not an alter ego, but it was like they got to see different sides and when it was really when it was when things were spiraling bad and they won two games in the COVID year. It wasn't like they were two and ten, but there was two and four, two and five, and you know, I think one of the players told me Jim sent them, you know, emails about everybody, including himself, had to look in the mirror, and I definitely think there was an evolution that has to happen there now Jim Harbaugh, I think for people who are around him at Stanford and people who around him at the forty nine ers, Jim Harbaugh is still Jim Harbaugh, which is a unique, like kind of wildly unpredictable spirit.
Speaker 4: I think he's still that guy.
Speaker 7: But I do know from you know, one of the guys who is his right his right hand man for a couple you know, for a couple of years, there is a guy named Biff Pogi, who's this like borderline billionaire who now is a college coach at Charlotte. And Biff they were really close, and he talked about just how much that Jim got to show the players a different side of himself a little more. Maybe it was that mattered, and so I absolutely think there was an evolution of him. He's still the same guy, but there was parts of it that I think there was real growth.
Speaker 2: Bruce, we see a training camp and obviously Justin Herbert is going to benefit the most, I think from Jim Harball. In what ways do you think Justin's talents and Jim and the way he coaches can kind of meld together to kind of get Justin to where he should be in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Frankly, yeah, I'm curious how that how that'll work. So obviously Justin is super smart. You know, you don't get like a four to two and whatever biochemistry or whatever he was you know taking up there or major name, but super smart. He's obviously incredibly gifted. I think Jim's kind of not in your face style but whatever, you know, like he's it's you know, he's too old to be called brash, you know, like, but he is. I don't know what exactly that the word should be, but I think he can probably bring some stuff out of Justin. And I also think, you know, whether you guys are awake closer to this than me, you know, with the Chargers, but like whatever there was that was lacking, I feel like Jim Harbaugh is probably what seemed to be what they would exactly what the franchise needed, you know, totally, and I can't wait to see it selfishly because I'm in La, you know, and and look, you know, full disclosure, I really liked a lot of the guys on the Chargers old staff. You know, there were people had relationships with and everything, and they're good coaches. I just think that, you know, it kind of boggled my mind that Jim flirted with the NFL two years ago and he met with the Vikings on signing day, and it, you know, like to me, and I get it. I'm not a billionaire and I'm not the guy paying the checks. But like what Jim Harbaugh did with the forty nine ers, like they were spinning their wheels for a decade and like by year two we got them playing, you know, the Super Bowl. Like there is no doubt he is a great football coach. So the fact that he landed in the Chargers and as opposed to like four other places, there's a huge win for LA and it's a huge win for the Chargers.
Speaker 3: I want to get back to the freak list just because you know, we hear the defensive players. You talked about, Chris Jenkins, He's gonna be talking on the other side of the curtain from where we're sitting right now, if he hasn't already. There's three It seems like completely freakish wide receivers at the top of the wide receiver group. How in terms of just I feel like we have this conversation every year about these freaky wide receivers. Do you think that's the case that next year will have another great group or are these three Marvin Harrison Junior, Romatunse and Malik Neighbors truly like, as someone who sees the freaks and talks about every year, how are they outliers?
Speaker 4: They are?
Speaker 7: I mean, look like it's funny because at Ohio State Marvin Harrison Junior was the best that's come through there in a long time. And that and anybody who watched the NFL those oh yeah, you know, like a lave's turn out to be really good. Wilson's really good, and Terry mclaurin's really good, and you know Michael Thomas before that. And this guy is bigger, He's got you know, better straight line speed than most than a couple of those guys. Like it's almost like there's one quality that those other guys have that may match Marvis and Marvin, but not in a combination. He's more polished than the other ones are. He's probably more mature coming out than the other ones are. And I say that all to get to like, there's a guy coming from South Florida now who's considered the best receiver to come out of South Florida in generations, and he's going to Ohio State and people there think, yeah, he's actually better than Marvin or more gifted. So right, you know, yes, yes to your answer, but there's also like an asterisk with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the league neighbors is a freak. Like you know, seeing some of his tape over the last couple of days. I know Chargers fans are so high on him potentially at number five. When you see the needs on this team and the fact that they are picking at number five overall, Bruce, what do you think they do? I mean, it's late February. There's a lot to be determined. But you know, in a perfect world, you could either get a blue chip wide receiver or you trade back and just get a ton of guys build out this roster for the next several years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's so many good receivers in this draft. I would be hesitant to spend the to spend a pick that high.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Like again, when I go out, when I was out there in August, I'm looking and it's like it's like you have a bunch of power forwards out there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: I know you've got Darius Davis, who's super dynamic return guy, but like, by and large, like it's an impressive physical group. And you know, is that the biggest need that you're gonna like, I think you can get a terrific receiver twenty picks later, you know, I really do. And I think there's probably fifteen receivers who I think will be really good NFL players out of this crop. And there's some really there's a lot of freaky receivers in this group. Now, different sizes guys, but I definitely think, you know, depending on like if you ask me, what are there three or four biggest needs, I think this is a position where you can still accomplish the need and get something else, maybe that high up.
Speaker 3: I know, uh on the freaks list. And again it's at the athletic there's offensive lineman on there, and you know how Jim Harble wants to play football in terms of the O line and whether it's at five or if they're able to trade back a little bit. But it seems like there are some exceptional blue chip freaky offensive lineman in this particular draft as well.
Speaker 7: There are I mean one that you know, Olu from Penn State excuse me from Penn State is six to six, three twenty moves really well. I mean he's a guy that you know. Penn State, you know had him at like four or nine seven, and any anything in the on sub five when you're that big is remarkable. Altrom Notre Dame is a really polished, well rounded like he is going to be a horrific NFL lineman. You know, I think you have a center who I think from Oregon Jackson Hard Johnson is a just a beast. And you know, I would ask your friend from you know, who does the senior ball like what am I like? Why are more people not talking about him? He was a dominant player and I think he's only going to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so charges fans are talking about it. There's like four or five guys Bruce that that we hear about, I think from fans. It's neighbors, it's brock Bowers from Georgia, it's Jackson Powers Johnson from Oregon. But sticking with just the pass catchers, brock Bauers like, where do you land on him? He's an interesting prospect. He's he's a little undersized and you know money he has talked about it too. We have blue chip receivers at the top. Based on how the salary cap works and what wide receivers commanding, it almost makes more sense to just get the wide receiver early as opposed to a tight end like Bowers at five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he's a unique piece because he plays to me like he's six four two sixty not six four two forty. You watch him mall guys in the SEC, which is the most physical conference and has the best caliber athletes, and he would be dominant at times like he's a kid from NAPA went to the SEC and hit the ground running. I mean, you know if and I don't think he's you know, timing and testing here, but if he did, there were guys at Georgia who I trust her are like he's capable of hitting four four nine And if you watch his film, his film is really impressive. I think he's like Jim Harbaugh did some really cool stuff with a lot of tight ends and a lot of different things he does in the run game. Rock Bowers would would bring a lot of versatility, like he's gonna be like I'm if Kyle Shanahan were to ever get him, it would be like a huge problem for the rest of the NFL. Like he's the guy where I feel like he plays so many different roles and is so good. You know, he's he'll test really well at some point, but I think he's way like, you know, if you told me he ran four to seven four, it's supposed to four or five four, I'd be like, doesn't matter. You watch what he does and he's just a He's a great weapon. You know how he would fit again with Harbaugh and what he likes to do with tight ends. I think they would be really creative. And you know, obviously the Chargers is a franchise that you know, I grew up, remember when Winslow and obviously people remember Gates and it's like, Okay, this is a different kind of guy in terms of like size and length. But he's such a playmaker that I think he'd be hard not to want.
Speaker 3: I'll finish with this, Bruce, and we certainly appreciate the time. We know you get a lot going on. We were talking about just kind of the way that that Jim described what he wants this team to be what Greg Roman talked about with the game and the physicality, and a lot of people are asking the well, how does Justin Herbert fit into that? And I a team that you obviously covered and I called quite a few of their games. I said, well, I just look at when Greg and Jim Whretz Standford with Andrew Luck and the guy threw you know, for two hundred and eighty yards a game and thirty plus touchdowns in twelve games. Do you think does that line up for you? Does that make sense? Or is that just too different?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: I think that's a you know, it's a funny comparison because like Andrew is a big, physically gifted guy who ran really well, who was incredibly bright. That's Justin, except Justin has a stronger arm, you know, and and like a less famous dad, I guess, you know, like, but but you know, and Justin didn't. Justin didn't come through the and and definitely Andrew Luck was not entitled a former big recruit. That was not him at all, But he was a it was like a borderline manning ish, you know, coming into everybody knew who he was, whereas Justin you know, was walkable distance from Autsin and like, you know, it was on nobody's radar other than maybe Nevada and Oregon at one point.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: So, but I think in terms of like the physical presence, the physic like, I'm not saying he's going to try to turn Justin into Josh Allen in terms of what you know, how many you know, how he's running and what he does. But I think there's a lot of parallels between. You have a big, physically gifted quarterback who can really move and be a problem. You know, like a lot of times the Michigan offense was not you know, prolific in the passing game, but JJ McCarthy would make a lot of plays with his legs and I think that was a good get out of jail free card. And JJ can really run, he can throw on the run. But Justin's like three inches taller and probably thirty pounds bigger, and in the NFL, I think that kind of he'd be a problem in that And I think, you know, Jim Harbott to me is far removed from being stats. You know, like it's just like how do we impose our will on the team, how do we break the will of the other team? And how do we win football games? And I think all those things can work when you have a talent like that.
Speaker 2: Bruce last one for me, and it's not charges related if I have you here. It's been such an interesting off season for college football with Chip Kelly leaving to become an OC, the BC head coach going to the NFL, Harball retiring, Saban retiring. Is being a head coach in college football just so different now that it's too stressful or like, where do you fall in line in terms of why these guys are taking jobs in the NFL as opposed to just being a football coach.
Speaker 4: So it's a great question.
Speaker 7: The I'm working on a story now about kind of about this and a coach I know who is a really good position coach moved to the NFL and we were talking about it over text and go he just sent back, he goes, you know why and put period the sport is broken. And I think for if you ask six different people, you'll get three different answers and they'll be and they'll all be valid. But I think you know, on one hand, it's broken for some guys because the calendar is all screwed up, and that leads to you have no off season and no work life balance. And then for other guys, it's the challenges that have come with from NIL and that could be because it screws up roster management and culture. Coaches are control freaks and they want to be in control and they're not anymore, and no one's going to feel sorry for them, you know, right like that. But then there's also an element of how does this work with we have to dumb things down because now we have guys who are bouncing around so much, it can't be as intricate, and that ultimately hurts them in the development part because we've had to simplify things a lot. And also what does that mean to our locker room where everybody knows how much everybody's making and there's there's you know, it's human nature, and so I think all those things are real. And if if you can go to the NFL, you're probably going to go to the NFL, you know. I I that's the vibe I got. I know too many guys here who are like, they don't want to go back, you know. I had I met up with a buddy of mine who I knew when he was a college coach, he's been in the NFL for a half dozen years, and his whole feeling like he's he's he knows what's going on in college football, and he watches it and he has opinions on it, but he doesn't want any part of it.
Speaker 3: Wow, I know I said last thing, but just you're you're a coach too, and you're going to be uh coaching up some in a Chargers Charger launched.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we're excited about it. So I mean, thanks to them, and thanks to the Chargers for spreading out youth football.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: And I think the league that that that Snoop and and TJ are doing is in three different areas and one I know it's in El Segundo and Long Beach. I think the third area is Serrito's And you know, it's good. I think it's probably good outreach too for the Chargers because like the kids at that age, especially in the age that I'm coaching in as third and fourth graders, where I think some of them morty know depending on the kid what kind of kid it is. But some of them morty know these teams who the players are. But I mean, you know, like we all grew up rooting for certain teams and whatever makes it take hold, you know, matters, you know, right, And so yeah, I think it's gonna be really I think it's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're looking forward to it. Next Freaks List third and fourth graders.
Speaker 7: No, hopefully not that we're gonna draw the line on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Pretty, you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, Thanks money. The heavy hitters keep coming once you introduce our next guest.
Speaker 3: So, Lance and I had the great pleasure of many years, many years here at the combine for NFL Network in NFL dot Com of doing the combine from the field and we would sit at the finish line at the forty and we work with Maurice Jones Drew, I know that's why you're laughing, and I Taylor. It just had the best time, you know. When we first got this going, we were just kind of talking about the advent of technology and how much things have changed. But NFL dot Com would just opened a stream and from the second the combine started until the second it was over, we'd sit there for seven hours and Lance, for people that don't know, I'm sure most people know if you're watching this, but Lance is the guy that has to know every single player that potentially could get drafted come April. He's the one that writes all the bios for NFL dot com, yep, and for all of the people that work at NFL. So I would basically just plagiarize what you were writing and make it my own. So it's great to have him because any question you have about any player in the draft, he will be able to answer it off the top of his head.
Speaker 4: And it makes it an awful lot of fun.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 8: You know, it's gotten harder over the years since I've got five thousand of them done.
Speaker 6: The recall is not as great as it was.
Speaker 8: And I remember after twenty sixteen, we were in Chicago and you sent me a text. It meant a lot to me, and you sent me a text I was headed back to the airport you were flying out as the last on site draft that we did was in Chicago, saying, man, I can't believe you're able to come like really impressed you're able to come up with these guys information, And I really could like as soon and I'll get like that again. It kind of jars the memory again when you write so many of these Scouter reports, they kind of run together. But this is a great refresher at the Combine players. I wrote back in November. I'm like, oh yeah, oh yeah, I like this guy.
Speaker 6: I forgot about that, right, and so we'll do that.
Speaker 8: But doing Combine stuff with you was always a blast, and Bucky and just the people around that broadcast made it a lot of fun. And frankly, I think what we did then was really the map of what we've seen more and more television broadcast. You know, I'm in radio, have been for twenty six years, much like you. So the idea my show has always been a fun show on radio. Really that's leaking into too football and what we did on our draft broadcast and Combine podcast was always informative but very approachable and relatable, and I think that that's where more and more, and I think in a good way, more and more sports has gone in that direction. Maybe over the top sometimes for some people.
Speaker 4: But why I'm sitting here for.
Speaker 3: And why you're making the rounds maybe because it tends to happen. I tend to go a little over the time.
Speaker 6: No no, no, not you.
Speaker 8: I mean other shows I see now, like, oh this is too much. But no, you had a healthy dose of knowing mascots, knowing interesting facts on every player and then having a hit the ability the ability to mix in historical like historical presidential references into a cornerback.
Speaker 6: You know, things like that.
Speaker 2: Why I'm sitting here listen Lance's NFL podcast too, what you do with DJ and Bucky and just how that has grown over over the years. And I guess we should just start with Jim Harball and the fact that he's the Chargers head coach and what that means for the team moving forward in terms of how they're going to play football and how different the roster may look.
Speaker 8: I think I think that higher in the STRINGT Coach Ben Herbert are two massive, massive highers.
Speaker 1: We hear Ben Herbert the higher of Ben Herbert. How Ben is gigantic?
Speaker 8: That is Ben is a monster. I got to know Ben during the Joe Moore Awards. We presented the first you know, it's Offensive Line of the Year in college football, and we presented it at Michigan and I met Ben Herbert. And let me start with Herbert. This guy is incredible. He blends When you see him, you know, he's a strength coach. There's no doubt got baldhead. He's got a strength coach vibe. He's not small. He lifts legs and upper body and arms all of them. But the other thing is he's very in tune with physical performance and assessing physical performance. So he does stuff with stretching and flexibility measurements when guys first come in. He does things with body composition. He's open to sports science and analytics of any kind. Like he's very open to everything. And then he gets results. If like money will tell you, every year at the Combine, it's Michigan guys who are putting up these incredible numbers, whether it's Quitty pay or Aiden Hutchinson. This year, Roman Wilson's about to blow you away. He's on, He's one of many. Mike Santastril, the cornerback, is going to be good. But what happens is Ben knows how to get the most out of players from a performance standpoint, maximizes their explosiveness.
Speaker 6: And he does it.
Speaker 8: And I ask him, I said, you know you can do it coming from high school to college. That's I don't think that's the I think that's in the wheelhouse. What about coming from you know, you're already starting in the pros, and you know his whole thing is no, no, no, you can always always get better. You got to look at your process and if your process isn't right, you know, we'll change it. But he's a guy that players love. They respond to the weight room stuff. He gets people hyped up in the weight room, and and he is an essential hire for hardball because you know, as football people will tell you that weight coach can make a strength and conditioning coach can make such a huge impact, certainly on the collegiate level, but I think more and more people are understanding it can make that kind of difference in the pro game too, especially as it pertains to be an open minded to taking in all forms of improvements, maybe something that fall outside of the norm of what the old NFL strength coach, you know mode was Jim Harball.
Speaker 6: I think Jim Harball is is a coach who players.
Speaker 8: You know, he's not a yeller and screamer, obviously, he's a He's a coach who's a little different, you know, and you when you talk to him, you get the sense that he's got a little zach grinky vibe to him, which I think we'll all kind of understand what that means. Just you know, a different guy, but at the same time, players love him, they play for him, and there's just something about him where he understands, you know. I wish I could say it's some kind of genius x's and o's or he's the thunder king defensive guy or offensive guy.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it is. It's just the hardballs know how.
Speaker 8: The family knows how to ceo organizations, and they know how to get the most out of people. And I think that's maybe what you know what the Chargers need right now? You got talent, can you start bringing it all together? And and I guess just executing a little higher level.
Speaker 3: It's uh, you know, for people don't know, Lance's dad, long time offensive line coach in the league, you've been around that particular position group. You write the scouting reports for every single player, regardless of position, but you really excel at offensive line because maybe other people don't pay as much attention. You go into great detail. So let's start with what they have, what they drafted in Zion, what they got in Jamari Sawyer, maybe what they stumbled upon in the sixth round there there are two tackles. We know what Slater is. Pipkins is on a pretty affordable contract. How much difference can can Ben Herbert and Mike Devlin and Nick Hardwick make with that current group versus using their first two picks on a tackle in a center.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it's I think there needs to be some upgraded talent. I mean, honestly, I think the right tackle spot. I like what Pipkins does, but it needs to get better if you want to compete at the highest level, which starts with just winning the division. There's some very good tackles. This is a great year for tackle. I think San Diego is in a I mean the Chargers LA Chargers in a really great position because where they are is an easy trade out. You can move out. There's gonna be a ton of people that want quarterback. If the quarterbacks left, you can move back and still get your hands on one of the top three or four tackles. And I think there's gonna be different teams that really have different grades on one through four, one through five. But I think moving back, adding draft capital and then locking in on a tackle would make sense. You could go wide receiver, certainly, in that spot, and that would be I think that'd be great. But I still, you know, I also believe that this is a really deep draft and a second and third round for wide receiver. So when I look at the composition of the draft, which you have to look at it in a macro view. Too many fans get excited about first round picks, but really the draft and working the draft, second and third rounds. You talk about Sawyer, who is a sixth round pick. Man, that's an example of how very cost effective player can step in and have a big role. To me, you know, Fuaga from Oregon State is a phenomenal pass protector. I think you could look at JC Latham, who is a potential pro bow guard if he needed to move to guard. He's a people mover, but I think he's a good pass protector too. That's a guy who could be available you could potentially move, you know, five to eight to Atlanta. You've got Denver and as JJ McCarthy stock rises, you have Denver and Minnesota and all these teams. The Raiders right there at thirteen who could be in a rush to move up. And I think five is a sweet spot where you can move back and still get a great tackle if that's what you want.
Speaker 6: And let's face it, generally speaking.
Speaker 8: You need to find the really good starters in the top forty picks.
Speaker 6: For tackles.
Speaker 8: You can talk about being a deep draft all you want, but wide receivers you can go find guys in the second, third, fourth round. Tackles you kind of need to have them a little earlier. That's just when you look around the league. And of course we can find some outliers or some solid third rounders who became starters and things like that. But I just think you should build your roster to be a championship team, and to do that, having bookend tackles is a really big deal, especially when you have Ion Johnson. I think, is you know, gonna be a rock solid member of that interior. It's always a little bumpy for rookies. That's just the way it goes. But I think, you know, Mike Devlin's been around the block. He comes from an offensive line family. His dad was a long time O line coach, so or actually Devlin's dad was maybe a D line coach, uh if I remember correct, But his dad was in the league and and my dad coaching them.
Speaker 6: I think in two lane.
Speaker 8: So I like, I like where the chargers are headed, but I do think offensive line allows you to impose that will a little bit more.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the different flavors at tackle and that different teams will have them ranked differently. Which tackle do you think makes the most sense for what jim in the offensive line?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: J C.
Speaker 8: Latham, you know, So what they do a lot of is they'll do a lot of combo blocks, a little a lot of duo, which is the double team, and then work up to linebackers and stuff like that. He runs out of lot kind of a cloud of dust mentality up front when he was at Michigan, And so you want somebody who can who can and I think their tackles have been fairly average for the most part at Michigan, but from guard to guard, they're tough. They're physicals act centers. The guy who's hurt right now, but I think he's gonna be a good NFL starter. You draft JC Lathan from Alabama, and you're getting a guy who immediately starts moving people off the ball, and you start to loosen that edge up and you get a guy like Ecklerfe's back or really anybody you start running off tackle, there's a lot more room there. So from a pass protection standpoint, I think he's technically sound because he went to Alabama and their old linemen are always very technically strong. But the other thing is he has that ability which you don't see as much now with such a an emphasis on pass pro You have two guards that are smart, technically sound run blockers as well. I mean not guards, but tackles. So you got a left tackle on a right tackle who would have the ability, I think, to work great on double teams and really take some pressure off of Herbert in the passing game because you'd be able to run more. I mean, it's got to happen. You just you can't ask Herbert to do everything. You got to take some. But Latham, to me is the first guy I think of, and then you know, the next one actually could be a Faltana from Washington. He's a he's a mauler, he's tough. You don't have to get him that early. But if you wanted to move back and maybe move back again, he could be sitting there and at either right tackle or guard because you're not moving slater no matter who you draft. So I don't think you will. So I think I think the Charger's sitting in a great spot. Man, really at a really advantageous spot.
Speaker 3: What about you know, just basically lance, the way they work the money, it appears as though Corey Linsley is going to in fact retire. They need a center. It everybody talks about Powers Johnson, but you know, it looks like there might be one in the second Like, what do you what can you say about the centers in this draft because it looks like they're going to have the draft one.
Speaker 8: So Hunter, I think it's Norzab from Penn State is a starter in this league, probably a third round. He came from Cornell to where he was a tackle, went to Penn State. He's three hundred nineteen pounds, he's broad, He's got good sized bout six three to play guard or center, which you want to position, flexibility, and he's very physical. He's physical, but he's got great core strength. So when he hits guys, and I'm talking big guys. He rolled Johnny Newton from Illinois, I mean jerse On was he had him and was moving him around and I'm watching him, like, how are people not talking about this guy? And I realized, Oh, because he's just some center who had come over from Cornell, and no one really cares about that except me and people like me.
Speaker 6: As you can tell, yeah, and I like it.
Speaker 4: He starts talking about it.
Speaker 6: I was like, what are we doing here? Why is no one talking about this guy?
Speaker 1: I just wrote him.
Speaker 8: I think it was last week one of the He's probably my three hundred and thirty first ride up or something like that, And I'm like, well, this is a starter. Here's a sixty two for you, and so you can find starting centers. I know everyone's talking about. I think Graham Barton's going to be the best in this powers Johnson and Duke Yeah. Tackle, he's Teddy tackle on guard, but everyone says he can snap.
Speaker 6: He's terrific.
Speaker 8: But you have guys who, to me, you can go find starters third fourth round, especially Harball. Harball knows what they look like. They're gritty, they're physical, they get it. Get your hands on guys fairly quickly. And you don't have to have tremendous range in his offense either. So if you do, it's a big advantage, but you don't have to. You don't have to do that in the early rounds. You can go find him in a third round.
Speaker 1: It seems like Powers Johnson.
Speaker 2: Everyone's talking about this guy, and Zach Fraser is the other center that that we've been kind of talking about on this show.
Speaker 1: Is there a gap? Is there a huge gap between the guy from Penn State and in those.
Speaker 6: No, for me, Penn State's ahead of Zach Fraser. I'm lower on Zach frasier than other people.
Speaker 8: Okay, I think it goes Graham Barton a little bit of a drop off to Powers Johnson. Then I think Penn State. I think I have him three. I believe I'll have to see whom I have is my third center. But and then Zach Fraser for me is gonna be fourth or fifth, So we'll see. I'm not as high on on him. I don't think he goes in the first DJ does, so we'll see who's right on that one. But it really doesn't matter for what Jim Harbaugh does. You don't have to spend crazy draft capital on the center position, but you know he might, he might look into it if you really want to firm up the offensive line.
Speaker 6: But I just think I don't know.
Speaker 8: Does How important do you guys, think the wide receiver position is.
Speaker 3: We talk about it a lot, and it's you know, there's there's a couple of different you know, I think schools have thought one Herbert's so good, he's gonna make the other guys great. He's supposed to do you know, So do you really have to take him? But if you know Roma Dune say is what DJ says he is, and that's Larry Fitzgerald, How the heck do you pass up Larry Fitzgerald be sitting there like that's that's I think that's true to negotiate.
Speaker 1: And we know what Quintin Johnson is really, I mean plenty first year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I I was a little lower on him after watching the tape. Didn't think he was a real confident catcher in traffic, had too many drops. It was a little bit of watching the tape is a little bit of a concern for me. I ended up being lower than I expected. But you know, do you want to get in a spot where you're draft him back to back first round wide receivers? I mean, I don't know harballa yeah, on a hardball team, Roman Wilson would be a terrific second round So selection.
Speaker 3: Pause there because I know you're gonna get rolling here in a second if I forced you to take if I said, hey, you've got to take a Michigan player in this draft where you think they're going to go. Like so if it's a first round, you got to take him in the first round, secon, you know what I mean. So you're gonna have to draft that player where they would get drafted. But you have to put a Michigan player on this Charger team to play for Jim Harbaugh. Which one would you want and which round would it end up going?
Speaker 1: I think I would Uh, there's eighteen of them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, it's a great question. Is I'm going through both linebackers right now, going through Chris Jenkins. I mean, I'm working my way through. Not crazy about the two defensive ends that you have to Nickel, I'd probably say romand Wilson because he can work all three.
Speaker 6: He's a very fluid athlete.
Speaker 4: And that's the wide receiver for people listening.
Speaker 8: If you're not a I think it's I think he's he's gonna run a four to three three here. Probably Ben Herbert doesn't miss so when he tells me a guy's gonna run something, he runs it, so he's gonna run about a four to three three, which is what he told me. He is a great worker. He can work the first level with catch and run stuff. He can do a lot of slant he can get open. He's very hard to guard out of the breaks. And then he's got that speed to take the top off the defense. So give me a guy who works all three levels knows the offense, I'd say Roman Wilson would be that guy. I'd draft him. I'd prefer in a second. You guys have a second, right, Yeah, I'd go second. I think he'll be there in a second. But jesse Minner be in the DC.
Speaker 2: Which defensive guy do you think would make the most sense because you got Jenkins, you mentioned the corner Junior Colson.
Speaker 8: Of all the of all the oh, I think Cole, I think Junior Colson would the linebacker from Michigan. I think if you could find him in a third, I don't know if he'll be there, but if you could find him, my guess is he goes sometime in a second.
Speaker 6: But that would be the guy.
Speaker 8: He's a very physical player who can run, and he's got a lot of attitude and one thing we've seen with Rokwan Smith going from Chicago over to the Ravens is when you get a guy like that who kind of sets the tone, players around him start playing more confidently. We saw that with Patrick Queen became a different player when he had an alpha in the middle, and I think that's one of the things that Colson might be able to bring to the table as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, last thing, because you got to go, yeah real quick, for people that are watching the combine, what's the one player they got to watch who's gonna just light this thing on?
Speaker 8: Fire Man Chop Robinson. Chop Robinson on tape. You know the production is not great.
Speaker 4: But you watch him Penn State Defensive End, Penn State Defensive.
Speaker 6: End number forty four.
Speaker 8: He's like a mic a light where he doesn't really know how to rush yet, but he's so explosive, fast and bendy that he can just beat you around the corner. He's probably gonna jump out of the gym. He's got a chance to run in a four to fours. I think Chop Robinson is going to be the guy to watch, especially on Thursday and the first day, and then Byron Murphy from Texas is about to run in a four to sevens at over three hundred pounds, and he's going to jump about thirty six and he's going to have a workout to remember as well.
Speaker 1: I wish we could do this for now.
Speaker 4: He's the best. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Problem, I love it. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: So there you have it.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I wish the Lance conversation could have gone an extra thirty minutes. He's got places to be, He's at different different stations here on Radio Row whatever you want to call it here in Indy.
Speaker 3: But awesome conversation, well, I think certainly. I mean, one of the things we can do is just get it back, you know, and it's probably for the best. I'm kind of hungry, I mean, because Lance won't just go for an hour, he'll go for three, so and I kind of would like to go grab some lunch, you know, I kind of a late breakfast. So the media meal here didn't do any favors. I thought it was going to be a nice like chicken caesar wrap.
Speaker 1: What was it? What was it today? Because what do you think it was?
Speaker 3: Was it like an Italian cold cuts with a It was it was almost like a salsa that was in. It was a very strange combination. So I took a couple of bites. I looked at Carly. She dusted, and I was like, all right, you're gonna finish it, not me. I'm tossing this thing out off.
Speaker 4: Carly.
Speaker 2: Do you want to give you your take? You would give your hot take on the sandwich that doesn't. We got our charges video crew here, the best of the business.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Man, it's been it's been so funny. We're not done yet.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow another a list, guest list, and we probably have some more for the rest of the month.
Speaker 1: Man, it's just been NonStop here.
Speaker 3: It's been great. It's the combine. You know, everybody descends by Indianapolis. It's where hope springs, eternal players that you think are going to turn around the fortunes of your team, and a lot of people that spend a heck of a lot of time. It's very to me. It reminds me a lot of the NCAA tournament, where nobody pays attention to college basketball. Then all of a sudden, the tournament arrives and everybody's suddenly an expert. They're like, oh, yeah, this is you know, I long said George Mason was the team to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, I'm watched one.
Speaker 3: Same thing with this is now you've got people that are like Shop Robinson say something. I was watching all those pennst I watched that guy coming off the edge of you know, you didn't you just read Lance's scouting report and now you're telling us that you love chop.
Speaker 4: But that's what happens.
Speaker 3: That's It's always one of the entertaining things about the combine to me is how invested people are in New Hampshire running back that they're telling oh yeah, best running back since Chip, since since Ship was there. You know, Jim Kelly was running the ball for New Amsure, I love this guy. He's got to be great in the seventh round. But and that's what we're surrounded by right now, a bunch of people that are all of a sudden experts on all things college football and projecting them to the pros. And that's what makes it fun because nobody knows the answers to the test. There is no answer key, It's gonna take us five years to figure it out.
Speaker 2: The one thing about this week too, the gms and the coaches not stressed.
Speaker 1: The only time they're not stressed. I think during the year.
Speaker 3: The coaches so like, especially the coaches. That is one thing. The first the first year I came here, it blew me away. And I'm not gonna name names, but like there's certain spots where you go drinking and like it would blow me away. How many coaches worked absolutely tying it on night after night.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's like, is this spring break for coaches?
Speaker 3: They have no responsibility. Yeah, Like it's they're just they're like, whatever, I got nothing to do. I don't have a game to coach. I'm just out here having a good time. And saw a handful of them last night, as a matter of fact, and they have very interesting drink choice. This is something like this is this a glass or is this a bucket? This is for you, this is your bucket.
Speaker 1: But what was it? What was the drink?
Speaker 3: It was double It was a double repisodo neat And he asked for a block of ice and they said they were out, and he's like, that's fine, I'll take it neat. And when I say they poured this double Repisodo tequila, it was he handed him one hundred dollars bill and they handed him I believe, like ten bucks back. So it was clearly high. It was top shelf tequila. It was at least four fingers of tequila in this glass. And he just walked away like it was like it was an apparall sprits or something. Then this is this is what we're doing tonight, all right.
Speaker 1: This is the inside information to get in Indy.
Speaker 3: And the next coach, by the way, asked me if I could get him a yellow red bull with ice. I was like, excuse me. He's like, they'll know what I'm talking about. It's like, all right, yellow red bull with ice, and that's all he was drinking. And I it was just a straight red bull, straight red bull with ice. At about one am, okay, it's like okay, well, you know, because we got to stay awake. Apparently we got to mix our we got to mix it up a little bit here. I need to get this yellow red bull in me at one am.
Speaker 1: The coach's baby, I will say this too.
Speaker 2: We got here on Monday night and Tuesday it was like seventy degrees. Walk out of the hotel today. Reality struck me in the face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit of a firm punch. Now, I've been to combines. I think we've had two or three in the past. I can distinctly remember too where it was negative, and I remember they wouldn't let us walk through the tunnel to get to Lucas Oil, so we used to. You know, the Indianapolis is connected by skywalks, so when it's cold, you can stay inside, from hotel to the mall, to restaurants to Lucas Oil. You never even have to go outside from your hotel. But they wouldn't let you go underneath the street to get into Lucas Oil Stadium because that's where they used to conduct all the medical exams, so you could that was off limits to everybody except for the doctors and the players that were here for the combine. So we would have to walk outside from basically the end of the skywalk to the front entrance of Lucas Oil, which if I had to ballpark it maybe fifty yards is what you're talking about. By the time, and I hope this isn't too graphic, by the time you would walk out the door. This one year, it was so cold and you got to Lucas oil. The snot in your nose would freeze. Your nose would be frozen together from those fifty yards. Like that's how cold it was, because your nose would start running the second you got out the door, and by the time you were in the middle of the street, it's now getting hard. And then by the time you get to the door, you're like, what is this? Where am I? Why are we doing this here?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 2: Okay, we just went to the CVS. I just went with our crew and David Bretto. I don't want to name names, but David Bretto was like, I don't even want to go in the CVS.
Speaker 1: I'm so cold, I'm gonna stay in the van.
Speaker 4: What did you get there?
Speaker 1: By the way, what did Dave get? You got a pedia light?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Some people, some people go for the double Repisodo electro Electrolyte Max somebody who may have gone to Kilroy's. I don't know exactly. Some people go for certain things. Other peoples go for a nice light ninety five calorie beer with an orange slice in it. And we're not gonna name any names. You're having a good time, charge me. I hope you're enjoying the pods. It's been fun man. We got one more to go. Our normal time Thursday charges weekly for money.
Speaker 1: I'm Chris. We'll see tomorrow.