Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Jonah. So this month we're revisiting some of our favorite episodes and letting you hear some bonus footage from How Did We Get Weird? And today we are very happy to bring you an episode we did a while back with Michelle's on Or from Japanese Breakfast. Vanessa, you remember this one?
Speaker 2: Yes, I absolutely love this episode. It's one of my favorites. We talk about VHS tapes, but we also really get into music class I maybe burn one of our music teachers from growing up, and we talk about a bunch of really a bunch of really fun stuff. She was absolutely fantastic, and I know we're both really big fans of hers too, And I think people will really enjoy this episode even if you've already heard it, and also be sure to subscribe to the podcast so that when we release bonus stuff like this, you always get it. And we hope that you'll absolutely enjoy this very truly much.
Speaker 3: Hi. I'm Vanessa Veyor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 1: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 2: Who are pretty young at heart and in age. If I do say so myself.
Speaker 1: Welcome to how did We get Weird?
Speaker 2: So, Jonah, I was thinking, in honor of our guest today, being the musical guest for the finale of the most recent season of SNL, we could talk about this thing that used to happen when I was at SNL, which is, well, let me back up, because this is a nostalgic podcast and this story is based in nostalgia. When we were growing up, everybody used to call me Jonah's little sister.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that, because, like, I don't think I heard that reference as much. Probably right, because I guess it was reference towards me.
Speaker 2: It would be like your sister, yeah, and it would be like when I was like walking in the hallway at school or something, people would be like, that's Jonah's little sister.
Speaker 3: That's how all your friends talk.
Speaker 2: And I always thought it was cool though, because I was like, yeah, whatever, it's whatever.
Speaker 3: And then once I got on SNL.
Speaker 2: When you would come visit, people would be like, that's Vanessa's brother. However, here's where the twist comes in, because you were such a cool music guy. Whenever the bands would come, they would usually know you, or they would often know you, and they'd be like, that's Jonah's little sister again, And I loved that I was back to being Jonah's little sister when I was at SNL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was nice for you. I mean I felt like I had no real STATUSSNL unless you were actually physically with me. Like I remember, if we wanted to see the band or something, I'd walk on. If I wasn't with you, they'd be like, you know, And if I was with you, I was like, Okay, I can kind of like have free reign a little more.
Speaker 3: Well, you didn't have status with the security people.
Speaker 1: The security was not impressed with like my status in high school or.
Speaker 2: Something, right, But the bands oftentimes would be like, yeah, we were at Pitchfork together.
Speaker 3: Remember this is you guys. That was an awesome set.
Speaker 1: That's like probably a verbatim conversation I had with Yeah, I felt like it was actually my lot more like the cruise and like the text and stuff where people generally I knew some of the bands, right, but a lot of people that work in the touring industry. But yeah, that's a crazy full circle moment, how Vanessa, Yeah, Okay, well, speaking of today, our guest played the SNL F Now this season. She's a singer, musician, director, and author, best known as a vocalist and songwriter of Japanese Breakfast. She leased her book Crying in h Mart in twenty twenty one, which is a New York Times bestseller. Let's please welcome Michelle sonor Hey Michelle, Hi, how's it going good?
Speaker 3: Thanks for being here. Did you enjoy that story?
Speaker 4: I did enjoy that story as an only child, It's like the world of siblings is so sweet and fascinating to me, and it brought me back to my very lovely experience at SNL And how fun of a time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so glad you had a good time.
Speaker 2: I went back once after I was on the show, and I did something on Weekend Update, and I got to be in one of the not like the dressing room you get to be in is I feel like so cool? But I was in one of the other dressing rooms in the front. I'm sure you got this too. They bring in this like plate that has like all these cheeses and nuts on it.
Speaker 3: Did you get that?
Speaker 4: I can't recall. Yes, we probably did. We probably did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were maybe less focused on it than I was, but like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was like not eating during this time, not because of like wanting to lose weight or anything, but like I was so nervous that something was going to upset my stomach and then I was going to have I was going to have anxiety. I was just so nervous. Like the entire week, I was like not eating much because I was so worried that something was going to upset my stomach and I would have a stomach ache. I was like the strange intensen like fear and anxieties. I was like not eating anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I did the opposite. I got there.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, I got.
Speaker 4: I got a load up on this cheese.
Speaker 2: As much as like you know, SNL is a great experience, Like the free food, especially when you're in the cast, is not there's not a lot of it. There's free food on like the read through day on Wednesday when you read through all the sketches and then.
Speaker 3: That's basically it.
Speaker 2: And so it was so fun to like be in my dressing room then bring in like I had like this thing. It's like cheese, and it's like the same cheese plate that's like when you walk by Seth Meyers show, it's like outside the I don't know, it's a great cheese plate.
Speaker 4: That's a specific NBC.
Speaker 2: It's like a specific NBC cheese plate, and it's just for listeners. Like it's huge. It's like not like it's like a few pieces of cheese. It's like I think it is supposed to be big enough for like your entire band or something, or like the people in your entrage. But it was basically like I was just like they're like, okay, I got this, And then people would like come into my dressing room and again, just to clarify this was like I was doing like a guest thing on SNL a year after I like left the show, and.
Speaker 3: People were coming in and in my mind, I think they were coming in to.
Speaker 2: Talk to me, But part of me was like do they just want cheese?
Speaker 1: Like people you haven't seen in a year?
Speaker 2: You think, yeah, like people being like, oh my god, welcome back Vanessa, Like you know, can do you mind if I have like a piece of this?
Speaker 3: Is this cool? If I just have a piece of this cheese.
Speaker 4: And you're like they're using me for my Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, good to see too, But I wonder if it would be so good if I didn't have this old cheese. Also, I think that's like me being so protective since I was like little, like I'm a person who like doesn't love to share food.
Speaker 4: Is that something to do with siblings, like especially being a younger sister. Maybe wow, older brother's taking your cheese?
Speaker 2: You would think so, except Jonah was always like a very light eater. Like Jonah sort of was different than everyone else in our family in the sense that like he would just like be like I'm done and we'd be like what and never was like really that into desserts. I'd be like what are we having for dessert? And jonahould be like can I be excused? And it was like Jonah, U get real. Yeah, I forgot about having to ask to be excused. That was the thing for sure. At the dinner table. Yeah, you can just get up and go Michelle, did.
Speaker 3: You have dinner?
Speaker 2: Like did you have like a dinner with your parents? Like yeah, yeah? And did you have to ask to be excused?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I probably. I also like my duty was to like clean the table like that was my main chorea in indexing the glass.
Speaker 3: Oh nice.
Speaker 4: So I remember one time I went to my college roommate's house for Thanksgiving, and he's also an only child with like older parents, and like when his dad was done with Thanksgiving dinner, he's left the dad the dad, and then later like my friend just left and I was just like, what is going on. It's like Thanksgiving dinner, there's left to go watch TV. And then I like helped his mom like clean up the entire things. Wow, that's so it was shocking to me. It was it was Yeah, it was unreal, but yeah, that's how they do it in their family. It was really wild.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy.
Speaker 4: They just like didn't say any he was done, and then he didn't bring his plate to the same grain and he just left it there and like went to watch TV.
Speaker 2: Do you think if you were one of his like guy friends, that they would have expected you to go watch TV?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I think that. I don't think that they expected me personally to like clean, but I wasn't gonna like not leave his mom to just Yeah. I think they were just like mom. I think first of all, they're like I don't know if they like always did a Thanksgiving dinner so maybe they're like a family that ate out a lot or something. But yeah, I had to, you know. And it was funny because when he I'm afraid he's gonna listen to this. But when he came to my parents' house, my parents were shocked that he didn't bring his plate to the same and so it was very much like, oh, that's how you were raised.
Speaker 3: Right totally.
Speaker 1: I also think as someone who is a teenage boy, you have such a lack of awareness sometimes about like how other people are, how the work.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's shocking to me that you even have that awareness. Now, yeah, I'm already like, oh wow, that's amazing. I saw like some video of like dad's being asked questions about their kids on the street and like they're like, what's her elementary school? And like the dad didn't like our expectations were men or like so love when it comes to that kind of thing. One of them was like, oh, is your kid allergic to anything? And the dad was like, oh, I think some kind of barry right, and the kid is like, no, I'm allergic to penics.
Speaker 3: That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Well, at least we were raised with having to be excused once in a while, we would get allowances, like do you remember this, Jonah. We would get allowances once in a while, and part of our allowance was like we had to do chores, but then we like sort of didn't really do the chores, and then our parents sort of never gave us the allowance. It was sort of like something that would happen for like a week or two.
Speaker 1: I remember spending most of my allowance on cause tapes and which I guess are kind of like cool again, right, Michelle, Is that that's like a thing now? Huh? Have you gotten into that or no?
Speaker 4: I was really into it when in like two thousand and eleven, Ish.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would say, so cassette tapes are already not cool again.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like they are not cool.
Speaker 1: Again now CDs are actually seem like they're getting cool again.
Speaker 4: Maybe maye, I think the vinyl is king still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, final I was cool for sure, But I.
Speaker 4: Think that cassettes like had a real comeback in twenty eleven because I remember it's just so much cheaper to make when you're in a band, and I was really into like selling them as merch And I also had a car that had a cassette player, and so I like kind of enjoyed owning cassettes. I remember I had a Twin Peaks soundtrack cassette and I just would drive around in like my like Honda Odyssey, like feeling like Dale Cooper later Agentop. Yeah, like sneaking about to like the Twin Peaks soundtrack. And I think I made like some like mixtapes for people around that time. But yeah, I feel like might be out again.
Speaker 1: That might be out again, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because they had them at Urban for a while, and that's like when you know something is.
Speaker 3: Like right right right totally.
Speaker 4: And maybe soon to be over.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, they're catching stuff just in time, and it's almost yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a bummer because I think in my kitchen now I have this was yours, Jonah. I have for some reason a cassette from the movie Cocktail starring Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: It was my first cassette.
Speaker 3: WHOA, I think I have it.
Speaker 1: You have that? Really?
Speaker 3: I think it's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nineteen eighty eight and it had don't Want to Be Happy Bobby McFerrin, Pocamo Beach Boys. I mean it had some serious.
Speaker 3: We've maybe talked about this on here before I've.
Speaker 1: Talked about it probably a lot. It was very influential on me.
Speaker 2: What I'm about to say, which is that you did a you did a report and you played Cocomo in the background.
Speaker 3: Do you remember this?
Speaker 1: No, But I mean it's like my favorite song, So it sounds like something.
Speaker 2: You did a report because I remember it was like something where because we were in the same school at the time, I think it was like we must have been in like Prady, I guess, and I was in fifth grade and you were in seventh grader.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it was definitely not seventh grade. It was not seventh I feel like I was listening to like Rancid and stuff, probably not doing like a Beach Boys single.
Speaker 2: Well, whatever it was, I remember you switched whatever song you were like gonna give a report. Jonah was like a real ham as you can imagine, Michelle, and you were going to give a report and like play a song in the background, and you decided to play Go Comeo, Like don't remember.
Speaker 3: What they'll like.
Speaker 1: The context was, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 3: But I remember you practice it.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, I remember, And I don't know Michelle, if you ever did. We had like a music class and we could vote on a song each week that we could play for the class. And these kids voted for one by U two that was like a really big song at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's funny to think of like kids being into you too, you know.
Speaker 1: It is really funny, like dad.
Speaker 4: Band, like like a group of young children being like we want one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I brought in Metallica's one because I was like, this is one. Also, we should play this nine minute long Metallica song and JNA cool move that mister Foley was. They weren't having it. They were like, no, you know, can I.
Speaker 2: Just say, mister Foley kind of like this is no offense in case he for some reason listens to this. But you didn't have a great sense of humor. I think we can agree on that. Because like my class was really bad, Like I was in a really bad sixth grade class with him or something, and we did the same thing where we could like vote for songs. Everyone was kind of misbehaved, but like everyone was pretty funny, Like I was very well behaved, but like DeMarcus Dus was in our class, and he was like pretty poorly behaved, but he was genuinely funny, like mister Foley could have been like okay, Marcus, like and I understand he had a really hard job, like taking care of all these asshole kids, but like he like had no sense of humor about it ever, And we had mister Foley, Like sorry Michelle to talk so much about mister Foley, but like I feel like we had him forever, like he was all through Brady, But was he also in pepper Pike. I don't know, But anyways, Brady was our middle school, pepper Pike was our elementary school.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a type of like cracker.
Speaker 1: It really does sound like a cracker.
Speaker 2: I guess what I want to say, and I won't go on for too long since nobody except for like five people listening to this podcast will know who mister Folly is. I just want to say, like I would have appreciated a little more of a sense of humor from him, understanding that his job was difficult, and I give him that fair enough. And it was cool that he let us bring in songs that were popular.
Speaker 1: That was cool. Not cool he wouldn't let's play Metallica.
Speaker 3: And not cool that he wouldn't give us a laugh once in a while.
Speaker 1: Michelle, I mean being a professional musician. Did you have like music classes as like in school? Were you into that or not as much? Were you in band or any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Or I wish I was like such a My schedule was always like occupied, you know, I was like in a program like I don't remember having any electives beyond school newspaper, which is what I was into oka to do. I took like piano classes like after school, but and guitar classes after high school. But I never got to do like band or symphony or orchestra. Rather, I would have really loved to have done it. But I will say that the song Kokomo was very triggering for me because when I was three years old, I drowned in a hot time in Aruba, and the only time I ever heard like Aruba to make like was in that song, and so I like, yeah, I always just like associate it with like my death place.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah, oh my god. Do you remember it.
Speaker 4: I don't really remember it. I don't know if I've just like imagined it after the fact, But yeah, we were on vacation in Aruba, and I have this memory of being pushed into a hot ta by like children, and I don't know if that happened or not, but my water wings were deflated and I had stuffed my mouth full of fig Newtons and my mom was putting sunscreen on my dad's back. So they like looked away or something, and then they turned around. I was a very very small child and someone had picked me up out of the hot tub and asked, is this anyone's dull? My parents just started like screaming, and luckily there was like a nurse on vacation that gave me CPR, but my heart stopped beating for like forty five seconds. I was like technical wow dead at that age. But yeah, my mom was really smart about it. I didn't have any like complications. I think I went to the hospital for just like a day and they were like, take her to the water so she like doesn't develop like a oh that's so coolah. Yeah. So I remember going like into the water like right afterwards, and my mom putting me in like a bunch of swimming classes for a really long time after that. But it's funny because every time I hear the song Kokemo, I just think of that man.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Yeah, I had to bring that up like twelve times.
Speaker 4: It's not no, it's not actually triggering for me, and it's a you know, I just remember hearing that song when I was younger and always like thinking of that time. I definitely have no like traumatic memory of that.
Speaker 1: That's really good, that's really good. What were your guitar lessons like? Like, because my guitar lessons were me basically just bringing songs I liked off the radio and trying to make teacher transcribed them. Were you actually learning theory and stuff or what You're more that style?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I wish, you know, I think that. Like now as an adult, I'm like so into that, But at that age, I was just like, teach me this iron and Wines. I like loved him, and he was kind of like this Christian guy, Like he was like a cool Christian, you know. And I took lessons at the lesson factory which was next to the Guitar Center, and it was very very corporate and they had like all these guitar teachers in like little cells basically cubicles basically. But I loved him. I thought he was so cool, and I think that he really liked me, and I think that the songs that I asked to learn were like songs that he would listen to, and so yeah, I enjoyed that. But you know, even from an early age, I just I wanted to write songs. I wasn't a very serious player. I just like wanted the tools to write songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Lesson factor is incredible name for like a corporations, so funny.
Speaker 3: Mid school.
Speaker 2: I also want to ask really quickly about your time at the school newspaper, like, yeah, the only school newspaper I know of was like the one that Brandon ran on nine or two and oh, because we didn't have a school newspaper till like college. Oh really, we didn't have one at our high school. Were you always trying to get like the sooop?
Speaker 4: I also was like a real Ham like middle school, and I s well, I was I'm still a Ham, always been a him. And I you know, like I really wanted editor and I was editor in chief of the middle school paper and I was features.
Speaker 3: Oh we had a middle school paper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had a middle school paper, the I think it was we were called the Rough Writers and yeah, and I was an editor in chief with another girl and she was very like serious news beat, and I was like goofy features. My favorite thing to do was the backpage, and I got really into writing quizzes. I was like really into like writing like personality, like cosmotype like personality quizzes for the backfait. That was like my thing. And so that was like what I was into in high school and middle school. I think, you know, I always wanted to be a writer, and I thought for the longest time that the most like practical path to pursue writing was through journalism. And even then I sort of begun to like butt heads with like my teacher because there were all these sort of like rules of journalism and like you know, the deadlines, and you know, I just I hated authority like from a very young age, and I just wanted to write what I wanted to write. And it's funny because you were talking about mister Foley. My journalism teacher now has like quite some like a group of kids like from South I went to South Eugene High School. A lot of them know who I am because it's such a small town, and you know, they think it's like cool that I went there and they knew that I was one of her students and you know, had asked her about me. I like went through like a mental breakdown and like my senior year, and she like was very I don't really remember her being particularly hard on me, but I do think that, you know, we sort of butted heads because she you know expected a certain you know, quality that I wasn't able to deliver to this school paper. And she wrote me like a Facebook message a few years ago, like apologize, Wow, yeah for like being like I just don't think I like maybe got like your sense of humor or like your creativity. I didn't like I should have been more open to like your voice or like whatever. And I think she like had some regrets, which is funny because she wouldn't be like the first teacher I would look back on and I didn't harbor any like real resentment towards her or feel that way. But I think she like felt some guilt that maybe she didn't like let my creativity flourish more and she was like strict with me. But I didn't really feel that that way about her, but I thought it was really sweet to like get that message.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's so nice. That's so nice.
Speaker 4: So I wonder maybe mister Foley, like if he heard this, he would be like, I should have had more of a sense of humor.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he'll write message and be like Joan, I'm sorry we should have let you play one by Metallica.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But I mean I get it because like I've been in that situation before, like where you just like are trying to do your best and like take your job seriously and like you're nervous. Maybe like I've been in situations where I've done things and I've been nervous and I've like kind of lacked a sense of humor that like I should have had and look back on certain moments where I'm like, oh, I messed that up, but it was because I wanted to do such a good job weirdly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 2: And also I think like for our teachers, like well currently, like to me, nothing is scarier than like teenagers, but like I'm sure middle school kids too are like oh yeah, just terrifying and having to be their teacher. And truly my class was we were such assholes.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, to be a teacher in this time it sounds horrifying. I mean to just like be like sort of like not even out of touch, but like just like a generation or like three generations apart from like such a sharp like forgiving generation. Yeah, where you're just like completely terrifying. I mean, I just it's mostly like for good, I think, but I mean to put together a curriculum and then also have to deal with like the sort of bureaucracy of like what the high school wants your syllabis to be, and then all of these like teenagers being like this is like racist, sexist, ablest and then having to like navigate those two polls must just be so exhausting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: You know another reason why our teachers might want to kind of apologize to us and have sense of humor. We're actually in retrospect, pretty easy, Okay, go ahead. So I think you've made this point. I think towards mister by the way, no real issue with him, just would have loved the sense of humor.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Jonah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just gonna say, we're gonna take a quick break and we'll be back with Michelle's Donner, and we're back.
Speaker 4: Really shitting on teachers.
Speaker 2: Fuck teachers, the teachers that work so hard, to educate us.
Speaker 1: So we asked Michelle for a topic, as we usually do, and Michelle has a really great topic today. It's VHS tapes we watched and rewatched growing up. Michelle, what tapes were you really really into when you were a kid.
Speaker 4: I was so into cassettes in general. I think my favorite cassettes were definitely my Sailor Moon VHS tapes. I don't know, I feel like I had so many like Julia Roberts films on VHS, Like I know, I had like Nodding Hill.
Speaker 3: I think I had what is Another My best Friend's Wedding?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I love that film. I love anything Julias in pretty much. I could probably like recite every line of dialogue from when Harry met Sally. Yeah. Various, oh, like like any like Studio, Ghibli VHS tape, lots of Disney, lots of Pixar, those types of tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also remember, I said, do you guys remember those like rewinders?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they had cars or like different Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had like a separate plastic like rewinder where you would like, once you were done with a tape, you would like put it in to the rewinder and it would rewind faster than it would on the TV, and you could like watch another movie while you rewinded it back or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you would get fined by like the rental place if you didn't rewind your tape. Oh, you just seem like such a stam. Right, it's such.
Speaker 2: A scam, I guess because it did take a long time to rewind it.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they had like five of those kinds of things, you know.
Speaker 1: I bet they did. They write those off in that, but it's also just like.
Speaker 4: Just rent it to someone so they have to rewind it, like make the next person rewind it.
Speaker 1: How long do you think it takes to rewind like a two.
Speaker 4: Hour movie in no machine or in the TV, just.
Speaker 1: In the TV so you don't have the machine.
Speaker 4: Five minutes Yeah, like the longest five minutes of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it took a long time, but it still does feel like it was crazy. It was like, yeah, not returning like a rental car with that gas or something. They'd be like if you didn't rewind it.
Speaker 4: Well, do you think the fee was?
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know what the fee was. That's a really good question.
Speaker 2: And you would pay for the movie up front, So I guess you'd get charged like.
Speaker 1: They'd probably just tack it on like a late fee. Yeah, like a Ladyeah.
Speaker 2: Look, our producer Olivia is saying that rewind fees were a dollar to two dollars and replacement fees lost VHS would be sixty dollars to eighty dollars.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 2: Wait, what like at Blockbuster?
Speaker 1: I remember being at the movie store and it would say like the price of like one hundred dollars on the thing.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Blockbuster?
Speaker 3: Come on, wow, that is such a scamp.
Speaker 1: Come on. Yeah, hard to feel sympathy for Blockbuster. Yeah, so you live in New York, now, is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Speaking with her Mattel, have you been to Kats's Deli? Yeah, yeah you have, And did you think about that movie when you were there?
Speaker 4: Of course? Yeah. I've only been there one time, okay, and I had like a sandwich that was like almost a foot tall. But I haven't I haven't been back there. It's kind of funny because like, I dated someone who was from Staten Island and his knowledge of New York was very impressive to me. But now it's really not know it was basically like I was such a hay seed from Oregon. He actually even used to call me hay seed, and I was just so impressed that he could take the subpoy. And now that I lived in New York, it's like really not a big deal. But I remember like we went to Kats's Daily and too like Max Brenner and maybe oh wow with cool knowledge, and like we also went to like the Strand, and I was like, wow, he really he's a real New York guy. And now I realized those things like are not like.
Speaker 1: The most touristy places you can go crazy. That was really fun.
Speaker 2: Going back to VHS tapes, we were talking about what we watched a lot. We watched a lot of like Chris Farley movies and stuff, and we kind of had them memorized. And the other thing that was kind of cool about Tommy Boy, which was probably our favorite, was it took place.
Speaker 3: In Kuyahaga County, right Jonah, which.
Speaker 1: Is where we're from there we grew up, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Which I wonder if they actually filmed it there.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, we would watch those movies just because we didn't have that many movies, and there was like, yeah, like four channels on TV, so I felt like we'd watch these movies over and over. Was that your experience.
Speaker 4: Too, Yeah, I definitely, yeah. I feel like I have like a pretty hepty VHS collection. My main memory is like, I have my best friend who's still very much a best friend of mine, Corey Potts, and the two of us would watch, yeah, like the same VHS tapes over over and over again. And it was funny because like she had certain VHS tapes that I would like very much associate with her home that she knew very well. And there were certain VHS as tapes that we would always watch that were really associated with my home now and then was like another really big.
Speaker 1: Oh that was a huge I don't remember that one.
Speaker 4: For the girls, I feel like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, Vanessa, what we said.
Speaker 2: I was saying when I was in camp, if we like made our beds the bed like they would inspect our camps, if we won like some kind of award, we would watch now and then.
Speaker 4: Oh really wait weird.
Speaker 2: It was always they would bring this little TV into our cabin we could watch it, or we could watch it in this lodge. I think we've maybe talked about this before, but we were never like can we watch something else? It was always like now and then like year after year, Yeah, week after week it would be like you guys, get to watch now and then and we were like, okay, we'll watch it again.
Speaker 4: I love that movie.
Speaker 1: What is it about?
Speaker 4: It's like the stand By Me for girls. Yeah, but it's like set in the what fifties.
Speaker 2: Or Yeah, it's like it shows them when they're kids, but then the adult versions of them are Rio Wilson, Rosi, o' donald Rosi, o'donald, Debbie Moore, Debbie Moore and is it Melanie Griffith plays like, yeah, she's like a celebrity now, Like she rolls up like in like a limo. Okay, and she's like a celebrity now. And it shows them like as kids having fun and then like as adults and the kids stuff.
Speaker 4: There's like a match cut where she is going on the swing as an adult and she swings back and she's a child. Yeah, it's like the teenage version.
Speaker 2: And yeah it's sort of scary, like they try to make it like a little bit scary when their kids, like they're trying to like solve it.
Speaker 3: Are they like trying to solve a mystery or something.
Speaker 4: Either it's very much homage to by Me, where they're like in Dan by Me they're trying to find this dead body and now and then they're trying to like solve some kind of mystery about the murder of like two people in their town like years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice because it never gets that serious, like you get scared for a second and then you're like, like they keep it pretty tame in a way that I appreciated as a kid because I didn't like scary stuff.
Speaker 4: I am that. I think my mention of just like very high and so I like cannot handle any anything horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, I was like, this is about as scary as all this very low.
Speaker 4: Now and then is like not a movie that anyone thinks scared. That's like saying like the Big Slide at like a fair is like scary, like a.
Speaker 2: Scary say, it's like the scary amount of like the scary factor of Home Alone, where like you're kind of scared of that one guy that he's scared of and then you realize he's nice and you're like, oh, I was like a little scared, but not that much.
Speaker 1: Your thresholds has been Scared I think is at Yeah. Yeah, we had like Diehard, a lot of these like nineties action movies. I was very into. Did either you get into that? Well you were kind of had to watch prior.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, My favorite VHS tape of all time was The Fifth Element, which was like the greatest. I mean, that's probably still my favorite movie of all time, and that, like you know, Willis Is because of that movie is like my favorite.
Speaker 3: Acturable and it's Mila jo is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Who's incredible? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Were you guys ever into her music? I remember really loving her music.
Speaker 4: What I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: She had this song called The Gentleman Who Fell. You should look it up. It was such a good song, and I remember my best friend Gwen and I were really into it.
Speaker 3: Her music career sort of didn't take off, but she was really good.
Speaker 4: It didn't I can see that. I mean, she seems so I watched this video of her like talking about her experience on that show, and she seems like someone who would be a musician. I feel like, is it kind of like a Kylie Minogue vibe or like a like a trip hoppy vibe? Is what I would it?
Speaker 2: Almost sounds like torri Amos a little bit. Oh okay, like not really, but like a little bit.
Speaker 1: Did she play guitar in Days and Confused? Wasn't she in that? And there was like a scene where they're playing guitar.
Speaker 2: She was you're right, you're right. Yes, she was probably trying to be like guys, I also do this. We watched dayson Confused on VHS so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we watched that one a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other thing that we watched all the time that's similar is Empire Records.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that movie.
Speaker 3: Was really into that.
Speaker 1: Great Guar cameo in that movie.
Speaker 3: Great Guar cameo.
Speaker 4: Great Gar.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that Guar was real.
Speaker 2: And then I think, Jonah, you told me, like I thought they were created for the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think they're still they're still playing.
Speaker 3: They're still playing in big costumes.
Speaker 1: Any other movies that kind of stand out to you from that era that you were super into.
Speaker 4: I guess like the only I remember the local video store was called Flicks and Picks, and you would take like these little paper tags that were on hooks and that you would bring them to the counter and they would give you the VHS there, and when I was younger, like in elementary school, I remember I would get the Studio Gipli movie Totoro over and over again and to the point where my Mom's like, we should just find this movie. But yeah, I think that that's like my comfort movie. I feel like I am eight years old when I watched that movie again and again.
Speaker 2: Ours was called Flicks too, our local Oh really, it was just called flicks. No, it's called star Flick, Starflix, star Flix. And I remember I rented the Best of the State, you know, this State, like the MTV comedy group The State.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you ever watched that.
Speaker 2: It's like Michael Showalter and Michael in Black and David Wayne and stuff. They were in this show called The State and they did sketches and they had like a best of VHS tape called Skits and Stickers that had their best like comedy sketches.
Speaker 3: And I rented it so much.
Speaker 2: That they sort of let me have it basically is there, and then our mom got to buy the case for it for five dollars. They were like, yeah, you can just have the case, and so it was like so now and I still have it again. In my kitchen with my cocktail because I have like the VHS tape from Starflicks of Skits and Stickers, because they basically were kind of like, like you keep renting it, like just take Like they I think they were kind.
Speaker 1: Of like already you might as well just take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had rented it so many times that they were just like you might as well. So anyways, I still have it. It probably says Starflicks on it.
Speaker 4: It seems like you guys had like such an early education in like comedy sketches, like it makes sense that you would wind up in that field.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you.
Speaker 4: I feel like I never where did you guys grow up?
Speaker 3: In Ohio?
Speaker 5: In like suburbs of Cleveland, Hi, suburbs that sound like crackers, like in Moreland Hills is actually the town we grew up, and it was near Chagrin Falls and Pepper Powers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess I never really watched like a lot of I don't know if it's like because there's like a maybe almost a generation between us, but yeah, that was like not something I remember. Like SNL was like not a big thing where I grew up. I feel like as much as it is like on the East Coast. I feel like, yeah, and comedy sketches was not something I really like grew up watching.
Speaker 1: That era was so different because I feel like all these SNL people like Chris Farley and Adam Sandler and stuff were in these like huge blockbuster movies, and I don't know if that was as much of a thing kind of late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did own Big Dad. I did enjoy Big Daddy. That's what it's called. Right. That's sounds so weird saying saying multiple it's called. But yeah, like horrifying if that's not what it was called.
Speaker 2: Remember, I do think there were movies like that coming out late, Like those were consistent I think through the nineties.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just maybe it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were very into that stuff, but I don't think, you know, it wasn't everywhere. It was like we were just we watched that stuff all the time.
Speaker 4: I guess were your parents into it?
Speaker 2: Our parents were pretty into Chris Farley. They were pretty into Tommy Boy and Black Sheep and stuff. Right, we went as a family to the theater to see Beverly Hills Ninja.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Can't imagine watching something like.
Speaker 1: That with my Yeah, I feel like it was Also this was like pre internet, so I just thought there's like less options of like stuff like media. Like I felt like just kind of it was like one of like the popular things. It was you just kind of watched everything kind of that was popular because you didn't have a lot of choices, right, right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. But I think we were really into it, you know, Jonah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not discounting it. I'm just I'm just putting in like a kind of a cultural context. But yeah, I think you're right. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: But also the other thing is we thought that we saw this photo of you with your Sailor Moon BHS tape.
Speaker 4: That's like my Rosebud moment, you know, like like I saw I found that photo and I was just like, nothing will ever give me that amount of joy. You know, I could have won a Grammy last year and you would not see me look like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We were also talking about when you're a kid somehow, And I don't know, maybe this is just has to do with like because there's more stuff out. It's just like we would watch the same stuff, Like I'm sure you watch that Sailor Moon BHS tape, like just it never gets like you just are like I gotta just keep watching this, like you just could rewatch stuff, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I i'd also like don't like collect things the way that I that it was like so important to like collect at that age, and yeah, I just wanted to own everything. It was also like that I don't know why I was like so into the series, but I like first saw like a Sailor Moon episode I think when I was in Korea, and I was like just so I don't know why, it was just like obsessed with it. And it was like that kind of stuff was sort of like hard to find in the US because it was like a Japanese import and then they sort of like started playing on Cartoon Network and then we would get some like English like Sailor Moon VHS types, and so like getting those was like such an exciting that was like all on it in my life was like anything that had Sailor Moon on it. It could be like a sticker or like a keychain or a CD, and like you know, to get a VHS was like so I was so happy because it was like rare, like it was kind of hard to find like this thing that I was interested in, Yeah, because you have no control over it. Now, if you want to watch that kind of thing, you can just like search for it and find it. But I remember like all of my aunts in Korea were like looking high and low for anything with like a Sailor Moon character on it, because like it was no longer popular there, so it was like kind of hard to find, and like you couldn't just like buy something on Amazon. You would just have you would have to literally like scour stores. I had like family members like looking for that kind of thing to like bring wow, bring back for me. And I was just like so obsessed with it for probably like four years or something, and then you just are over it, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take one more break and we'll be back the brand new segment with Michelle's Honor, and we're back. So we have a brand new segment today that we're going to try out. I'm going to try to think of a way to introduce this in a way that's not totally confusing. It's called legit moan or unnecessary grown.
Speaker 4: Legit Moan, unnecessary grow.
Speaker 1: This segment was inspired by now defunct column in our local paper growing up, the Cleveland Plain Dealer called Monday Moaning. Yes, this was an actual column. I found archive versions of it online. They ended it about ten years ago. We used to read this column on Mondays, where it was basically readers writing with these really petty complaints, and it would print them every Monday in the paper. This is like the Cleveland Plant. This is like our like big paper. We used to find them funny as kids and read them Today is way funnier. So we're going to fix three that we found from the archives. Wow, and then we'll decide if they're a legit moan or unnecessary grown.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I love Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: So it's called Monday Moaning. Then we're gonna have Vanessa. Do you want to go first? You want me to go first? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I just want to say, just for anyone listening, these are actual things that were printed in the Monday Moaning section of the Cleveland Plane Dealer circa ten years ago before it was canceled because it was such a bummer. Okay, I'll read the first time.
Speaker 1: Michelle. You can use your newspaper editor instincts with this.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, this is something that I probably would have loved to print on my back page of the Roosevelt rough Riders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, great, Okay, here's the first one. If your kids are getting the school bus which stops at the end of your driveway to pick them up, they should be there waiting to get the bus, not standing in the doorway, not waiting in your van. They should be ready and prepared to get on the bus when it arrives. If they aren't, the bus should leave. Just sign me, and this is someone from Olmsted Falls.
Speaker 4: This is pre yelp.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is pre yelp.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, this is probably yeah what people spend their time doing instead of yelping.
Speaker 2: And Jonah, will you just clarify Crankshaft was a cartoon.
Speaker 1: Crankshaft was a cartoon about like a cranky school bus driver.
Speaker 4: Oh so it is a bus driver or are they a parent or are they a bus.
Speaker 2: Well they said, just sign me Crankshoft. I think they're being kind of self aware and being like, I know, I'm being like a cranky bus driver, but this is what I think.
Speaker 4: We think that they are the bus driver.
Speaker 3: No, we think that they're just being kind of facetious.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think they could be the bus driver or another.
Speaker 4: Parent observing their child on the curb, or like another you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, it's really confusing what their role is in this situation, Like are they just a neighbor? Are they impatient? Like why are they so concerned about this?
Speaker 2: That makes all the difference to me, because if they're just like a person who's like just someone who lives on the street and just watches these kids like be late for the bus, it's like.
Speaker 1: If you get stuck behind a bus and you're driving.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true. Okay, that makes sense. I think it must either be like in my mind, I was like, oh, it's a parent who sends their kid to the curb and are watching other kids not be prepared and make their kid late. Or it's someone that is stuck in a car behind the bus that's waiting for the kid with the little stop sign out, or it's the actual bus driver.
Speaker 1: I bet it's the person in traffic who can't pass the bus and then these kids aren't ready and he's like, Okay, I'm gonna write this letter on Monday, Like I'm gonna like I'm gonna voice this out into.
Speaker 4: This would I would agree with that. I bet it's that purse.
Speaker 2: I will say, like, you know, Jonah and I used to always be running for the bus like like never, we're like we're very rarely like waiting at the curb on time. I would say, like, I feel for the kids who it's like hard to get to school on time. If this person had clarified and said like this gets in the way of my drive in the morning and stuff, I have a little more compassion for them. They've written this in sich a way that they just seem like they're like a nosy neighbor who's just like looking for something to complain about. So I I would call this an unnecessary grown Well.
Speaker 4: The first thing that I think of is like, you know, I mean, doesn't it get quite cold in Ohio? Yes, I would feel for the kids that you know, are waiting at the curb for a bus driver that's probably having other kids that are running late and behind and never exactly on time, you know, waiting in the in the cold, which is you know, a health hazard. So I am team unnecessary grown.
Speaker 1: Falls.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Olmstead Falls. Jonna, do you want to read the name.
Speaker 1: Sorry, crank shaft number two is this one's from Lakewood, Ohio, where I lived for a little while. Are we ever going to have quote unquote singers that were taught to sing so you could understand every word?
Speaker 4: Oh, this person's dead.
Speaker 1: To me, it's frustrating to hear nothing but sound and very little melody. Thank God for Lawrence Welk Saturday night program good music and every word can be heard. Oh God, have any of this new generation who all sound alike ever listened to Frank Sinatra Odor Stay to hear what a difference understandable words make?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, big time unnecessary groans. As someone who like definitely no one has any idea what I'm singing about, I have to say, that's like such an unnecessary grown. It's like something that my parents would always say when I like would play them, something I spent months and months working on so I could never understand what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Shut up? Yeah, I mean my question is how old do you think the person is? Because this comes like ten Years's not like this Colm was like this letter could have been print like fifty years.
Speaker 2: Ago, right right, right right. It wasn't like the heyday of Lawrence Wealth that this was. This is probably from like ten years ago, maybe twelve years ago.
Speaker 1: So I think this person was probably quite old.
Speaker 2: Quite old, Yeah yeah, yes, but also odd of the plain dealer to be like, I mean, you know, obviously this column no longer exists for a reason. But I wonder how they chose their I mean, this leads to a bigger question. But it's like that they printed this, it's sort of well, they printed a lot of really bizarre stuff. I mean, I guess what's interesting to me about it. This person's criteria for music is number one. Can I understand all the ones?
Speaker 1: Yes, like melody and songwriting and all that other stuff like that's like the number one thing for them. That's all weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good point.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's such an older person saying to like complain.
Speaker 2: About also something that you know, talking to music like that's this person is obviously not like really, I don't mean to judge.
Speaker 4: The references aren't very obscure.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, this is not going to be a big like scream of fan I imagine.
Speaker 3: It just feels like, again, I don't want to judge this person.
Speaker 4: Although that's the nature of this game, though, that's the nature.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: This is pretty much the most anonymous thing that it can be. This is a random letter from someone ten years ago.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: If they were really into music, I don't think that they would be like I gotta eat know what all the lyrics are like that feels like they're not really.
Speaker 1: But even like Bob Dylan or something, especially hate Bob Dylan, right, like can you imagine like, oh yeah, I can't hear the words.
Speaker 4: But I also feel like there are just some people that like they only like things that have been established just good, like objectively good, you know, which is like my enemy. You know. Yeah, as a contemporary like singer that like is weird, you know, that's like not Adele that is like my you know. I mean I think that that was especially like when I went on SNL, it was like, Okay, it's going to be a lot of people like that listening to us play with that kind of commentary, and like what was like most scary about playing SNL was like, oh, like fifty percent of people at least are going to fucking hate us because they're going to say things like, you know, I can't understands the words.
Speaker 1: This doesn't sound at all like Frank Sinatra, I don't get it, or Lawrence.
Speaker 4: Wall What does she sound like Beyonce?
Speaker 1: You know that's interesting. So so Michelle, you're going to give.
Speaker 4: This unnecessary grown big time for me?
Speaker 1: Okay? Same here, Vanessa, what about you? Same? What is the necessary legit moan?
Speaker 4: Legit moan?
Speaker 1: Okay, because the columns called Monday moaning, I think those are going to be pretty rare.
Speaker 3: I think those are going to be rare moan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well let's see, Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's maybe maybe this will be ven I said, you want to read our last one?
Speaker 3: Okay? Sure?
Speaker 2: To the reader who complained about Steelers items being sold at Giant Eagle. Giant Eagles like this big grocery store. Chaining to the reader who complained about Steelers items being sold at Giant Eagle and who would not shop there again, Obviously there must be a demand for Steelers items. If you were looking for Brown's items, you should have checked the clearance aisle. That's where you'll find them this time of year. So, just to clarify, Steelers are the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh Steelers a football team, and.
Speaker 3: Then Cleveland Brown's is the Cleveland team.
Speaker 1: And so this is in response, I guess to another column where someone was complaining about Giant Eagles selling Steeler stuff because that's the Browns rival. They, I guess didn't think that should be sold in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to clarify, they're saying, by the way, this was signed Twinsburg. This is someone from Twinsburg, Ohio. They're saying, there must be a demand for Steelers items. If you were looking for Brown's items, you should have checked the clearance out. I don't know if that was a sassy sassy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a dig at the Browns, who historically been a pretty bad team.
Speaker 2: This is someone who probably, yeah, is not a real loyal Cleveland Browns fan and is not bothered by the fact that they're selling a Pittsburgh team's, you know.
Speaker 4: Merch from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they're from Pittsburgh at an Ohio grocery store.
Speaker 4: You know. Look, Vanessa doesn't like this one.
Speaker 2: This is a moan on top of a moan like this is someone who's responding to another Monday moaning with their own Monday moaning and I don't mind that.
Speaker 3: I think that's kind of vie.
Speaker 4: I do it legit. I think it's a legit mom.
Speaker 2: I think it might be a legit moan because the person must have written in and been like, giin Eagle, you're selling Steeler stuff. I'll never go back there, and gihin Eagle is probably like, you know, good ridden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this, I would say, is a legit moment.
Speaker 2: I liked that this person thought I'm gonna ras this other moner a little bit because you know, grow up basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Michelle, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: I identify moan on top of the moon. Yeah, Like I think that that's something that I could see myself doing. Yeah, I think I get more upset at people complaining about something than having any of my own, like general complaints. Maybe right, I don't know. I identify with moaning on top of moaning. Uh, so I it's a legit moan for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's legit. Also, I think, you know, Giant Eagle is a store. You know, they can sell things by this team. I mean there's probably Steelers fans. Pittsburgh is not that far from Cleveland, so I mean geographically, I think it makes sense. And yeah, I don't think this person is gonna stop going to like their local grocery store because of that. Like they're not going to drive a nextra twenty minutes, yeah, to get their pizza, rols or whatever. There's no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sports, not like politics.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, the stakes are not that high. So I'm going to say I think we're in agreement. Maybe, like the initial one we're not reading is maybe an unnecessary groan, but this one is a legit moan on top of that.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'd like to go one step farther and say that when we were kids, when we were reading these, I wish we had thought to write moans about people's moments. I wish we had thought to write in and specifically target specific people's stupid complaints and written.
Speaker 4: Are you would be writing in as the kids late for the book? Yeah, exactly, crank shaft listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's cold, yeah yeah, so the person who wrote this, you know it's ten degrees out, it's seven am. Yeah, Like I don't want to stand outside the end of my long driveway for you.
Speaker 2: Don't understand the pressures on kids these days, we have like a lot to deal with and like sorry that we're not there right on time, waiting in the cold, you know, so that you can maybe have more fun, you know, tell us who you are, what's your role in this?
Speaker 4: And I would write to the second guy about why I don't enunciate my lyrics?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, is it too late? I guess it's probably too.
Speaker 2: What's the generation above boomers? That's what this person is.
Speaker 3: I think the greatest, the greatest generation.
Speaker 1: This person might be the generation before. I don't know this person.
Speaker 3: I think what's the generation before the greatest generation?
Speaker 4: The best?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Oh the silent generation? Is that real?
Speaker 4: That sucks? Why is that because of their movies?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why.
Speaker 2: Oh, children are meant to be seen and not heard, no joke. Okay, they grew up as a silent generation because they grew up.
Speaker 4: They are the children that were told to be seen and not heard. Yeah did that work.
Speaker 2: For apparently not, because one of them grew up and wrote this dumb Monday movie thing about wanting.
Speaker 3: To hear lyrics. I guess maybe that has something to do with them having to be so quiet when they were.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's come really full circle now Michelle, we had a lot of fun with you today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where can people find you and your songs? Everything?
Speaker 4: Google Japanese Breakfast. My website is called Japanese Breakfast dot rocks and it has all of our upcoming tour dates and information about the band and probably my book on there as well. Find me on the internet.
Speaker 3: Great, great, Well, we had so much fun with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks to everyone for listening, and if you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye out for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 3: We'll discuss more stories from our.
Speaker 2: Childhood and cultural touchstones like VHS tapes and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So Michelle, thanks again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks so much, thank you, thank you so much. We don't a