Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Buzzler Podcast, The Cleansing Bassetration for your puzzle Infection. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and I am here with our guests, the awesome Dax Shepherd and Monica Padman, hosts of Armchair Expert and so much more. Welcome Dax and Monica, thanks.
Speaker 2: For having us A. I think that was my favorite intro.
Speaker 1: I've herd really you love little gross.
Speaker 2: Tackling an infection while greeting people into the program is bold and revolutionary and I applaud it on every level. Thank you.
Speaker 1: My producer was a little skeptical, say.
Speaker 2: Well, they're going to lose your back team sponsors.
Speaker 1: It was a risk I took. Well, today we have a movie themed puzzle for you, because I know you are both movie fans and have appeared in movies. So and actually, I will say briefly, I came up with several movie themed puzzle ideas. My first idea was rejected very vigorously by the puzzle staff. The first idea though, if you go on IMDb and look at Dax, if you look at your list of credits, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what the vomiteer at party that's what you're gonna Yeah, I wear that with great pride. If you can start a career as vomiteer at party with no lines and work your way up to a cast member on parenthood, you know.
Speaker 1: What a life.
Speaker 2: This guy's the limit?
Speaker 1: Did it say vomited? When I saw the one I saw said guy vomiting at.
Speaker 2: Party, classed it up by saying vomiteer at party. You're right, it's actually lower brow guy vomiting at party.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about the noun vomiteer. I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly I did a great job vomiting because it led to all kinds.
Speaker 1: Of fors vomiting.
Speaker 3: Year.
Speaker 4: Is it a plan volunteer?
Speaker 2: It's like group of vomitorium vomiteer out a vomatorium. Wow, Rome ancient of hellenicx Liberal artification.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna do sort of a theme of other cinematic spewing like the Exorciste.
Speaker 4: Oh, we would have liked that.
Speaker 1: Well you're nice. Well my next time you're on. Yeah. Instead, I would love to try a puzzle called name that title drop. And you might have heard the phrase title drop. My kids taught it to me. It is when a character says the title of a movie during the movie at oh I.
Speaker 2: Love that Okay, sometimes met with a round of applause if the movie is good enough.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. The most famous title drop, One of the most famous is Doc Brown telling Michael J. Fox next Saturday night, we're sending you back to exactly. So in this quiz, we're going to play you a clip from a couple of movies. And we bleeped out the title drop. But we didn't bleep it out. I decided I would actually say the phrase title drop. Oh, so I can express my acting chops in case you're casting anything. Uh but here, coz, please play clip number one.
Speaker 2: Village please apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hi, Look, I'm calling from Paris. I have a son whose title drop.
Speaker 4: I knew it from the from the ringing. I love that movie so much. Wow, And it's timely because we're just coming out of Christmas. I've seen it recently.
Speaker 2: This doesn't air lost?
Speaker 1: You know, well, what is it? Monica tell us home alone, Home Alone, baby? That was so fast, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was well ahead of it.
Speaker 4: Do you think you would have had it?
Speaker 2: It's hard to know because you couldn't. You were saying it before it was the clip was even over. I think if I'm recollecting correctly, I couldn't help. I'm proud. I'm proud to be in this game with you and business.
Speaker 4: I have a feeling the rest are going to go to you because my brain doesn't work well like this auditorily, Like when people play music, I don't know the song until the song's over, basically, but this was just the one I knew it was going to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is such a shoe in for you. You probably watched us four times in the last.
Speaker 1: Two months, exactly exactly. Yeah, I think I feel this puzzle is like if you love the movie, you know, if you don't, then you're a shit out of luck. All right, So here's clip number two.
Speaker 2: I just want to say to the listener who can't see Monica. She's using her left hand to push the clip, and it's shocking how uncoordinated she is with her left hand. She's having the hardest time getting her finger just to the mousepad. I relate. I tried to write with my right hand the other day and it couldn't be done. So I'm not casting.
Speaker 4: Any Dax is left handed. I think that you don't understand because you have to use your right hand in life, because this is a right handed world you live in, right and left these like right handers don't have to use their left hand almost ever.
Speaker 2: True, That's true.
Speaker 4: Okay, were ready?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling some empathy for Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 3: Everything I think and everything.
Speaker 2: I do is wrong.
Speaker 3: I was wrong about Elton, I was wrong about Christian. Now Josh hated me.
Speaker 2: It all boiled down to one inevitable conclusion.
Speaker 4: I was just totally titled, John, Oh, I love it?
Speaker 3: Do you know it?
Speaker 2: I feel like these are really on a platter for you. I'm I don't know.
Speaker 1: Clueless, clueless clueless.
Speaker 4: Yes, these are great. I love this game.
Speaker 2: Something does happen to my brain though, when I see that you have it, and then I immediately go like, oh, I don't have it. She has it, And then I can't. I can't even think any longer.
Speaker 4: Mental games?
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You need to get a little bit tougher mentally.
Speaker 2: I need to block you out during this is what I need to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we want to be in separate booths.
Speaker 2: We're going to call you back in twenty five where I'm going to patch in from Central La and she's going to stay here.
Speaker 1: All right? Well, we have two more. Oh, by the way, I could have done. I looked at your IMDb list for any title drops. There was one, but I was it was too late. I couldn't get the clip. But it was something along the line of, you're just jealous about my superior retailing ability. You'll never make.
Speaker 2: Employees of them. I feel like baby Mama has to have been said in Baby Mama as well, don't you think, Mamica?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe you not by me.
Speaker 2: No, they wouldn't interrust me with the title drop. I actually I wonder if it's in there.
Speaker 4: I can see them not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're so good, So.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will I will fact check that.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: What about this? Oh? Yeah, we have two more.
Speaker 2: Give Monica some time to get her hand.
Speaker 4: Up ten to twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: She just needs a little ten minutes, heads up, right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, be ready?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: Clip three? This is clip three.
Speaker 6: You felt it your entire life that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Title drop Matrix, Matrix.
Speaker 1: I didn't have that well done.
Speaker 2: Well, we've gone like early Girl movie, now Boy movie.
Speaker 4: No Matrix is very under nooch. I've watched it many times. I just didn't and I didn't know it well enough.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this was the scene right before he offers him the blue or the red pill. Yes, I would have a hard time. I might take the blue pill.
Speaker 2: Personally, Oh wow, I should because I've got way too lucky of a wife. I don't know why I would want to find out none of this is real. Although as if you've listened to the show, you know that we are under a very firm belief that we're living in Monica's father's.
Speaker 4: Simulation, all of us, including you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're part of it. So and it's so I guess you are a show. Thank you as well, because for me, I love the role he's assigned me.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. I have some notes. I have some notes for him, but overall it's not that. Now this one, I do feel guilty because I know I happen to know that this is a favorite of Monica's. I don't know whether Dax I think you like it too, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe Monica just a whole Well, you're you're outburst, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: All right, play clip number four. Please.
Speaker 3: You're a pack of vultures at the feast, Todd, I'll drop bloody.
Speaker 2: That's for you.
Speaker 1: Well, you did say on a show recent maybe recent dish, that you love this this movie.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Glad. I'm so glad you didn't get at a meeting.
Speaker 2: Can we get a second? Is it breaking the rules?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: It twice?
Speaker 1: No, play it as often as you want.
Speaker 3: You're a pack of vultures at the feast, Todd, I'll drop bloody.
Speaker 2: It's English, right, are we seeing some kind of a period piece or some kind of.
Speaker 1: He's that English? I mean, well interesting. The actor is English, but I believe the character is Southern in this, I will.
Speaker 2: Give you it is.
Speaker 1: Daniel Craig is the one who's saying it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got it. Yes, you love these movies.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, the Ryan Oh yeah, oh my god, yes, Inheritance or knives Out, Knives.
Speaker 1: Knives Out, that's it exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow wow. Yes, he's definitely playing a Southern gentleman and he is English. I totally that was hard. It was very hard because it sounded a little English and southern.
Speaker 4: It sounds like it was going to be from the twenties, sound like it was an old.
Speaker 2: Movie period piece.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that movie. I love glass Onion too. Did you let did you see that? Loved?
Speaker 2: So we were we were three or four.
Speaker 1: We got it.
Speaker 4: We didn't get it with a little clue.
Speaker 1: Pretty big clue, I am Daniel, because otherwise it would have been, like you know, it was too easy. Thank you for show your human Oh that was fun.
Speaker 2: This is so fun. AJ it is aj.
Speaker 1: I love to having you are amazing guests. I just didn't Well, anytime you want listen, if you want any puzzling on the Armchair Expert, you know I'm happy to provide.
Speaker 4: We know where to go.
Speaker 1: There you go, thanks exactly.
Speaker 2: We may rudely accept that casual invitation, as they say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you kidding? Honored? Where can people find more of Dax and Monica?
Speaker 4: We have multiple shows Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday on everywhere you find your podcast. Just search Armchair Expert and you'll find us all the time.
Speaker 1: Every seconment of day twenty four And by the way, I did try to do an F one puzzle and I failed.
Speaker 2: Maybe next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course, as always for the puzzlers at home, we have another name that title drop here you go.
Speaker 3: But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain and an athlete and a basket case.
Speaker 1: A princess and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours title job okay, and come back tomorrow and you will get the answer. And in the meantime, feel free to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast review us five stars is always nice. Tell your friends it means a lot. And we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hey puzzlers.
Speaker 5: Greg Plisker here up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We did some fact checking with Monica and Dax and we asked them which of these is true. Alexander the Great started a war because of a jigsaw puzzle or Alexander the Great started a war because of an anagram? Well, those of you who have read the Puzzler know the answer. According to the Puzzle Instinct by psychologist Marshall Denezi, Alexander the Great once had a dream about a satyr, the mythical character that is half man, half goat. He asked his soothsayers what it meant to pointed out that in ancient Greek, the word for satyar is an anagram of tire is yours, and so he took this as a green light from the gods. Of course, in English, satyar is an anagram of trays, which would have set Alexander the Great straight into the cafeteria. So stay out of the cafeteria and keep listening to the puzzler.
Speaker 2: See you next time.