Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with another historic case coming to the Supreme Court. The justices have agreed to rule on former President Donald Trump's claim of immunity. Bloomberg z Ed Baxter has the story.
Speaker 4: This case will involve the potential immunity from criminal prosecution and will be historic. It will determine whether Trump will stand trial for the twenty twenty election interference charges. The ruling also puts on hold the Washington d C. Election interference trial, which was due to start next week. Trump has been pushing to put off any trials until after the election. The court says we'll hear arguments the week of April twenty second, when the Court will rule. As a question though it usually hands down its decisions at the end of its term in late June, but it could expedite things.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Radio All right, ed, thanks well. In another legal battle involving the former president, an Illinois judge has barred Donald Trump from appearing on the Republican presidential primary ballot that marks the third state to umpose such a ban on the former president for his role in the insurrection at the US Capitol on January sixth.
Speaker 3: Now, this is just breaking on the Bloomberg Karen a new poll on the presidential election, it appears even those voters who support President Biden are concerned that he may be too old for the job. Bloomberg's Amy Morris reports from Washington.
Speaker 5: The Bloomberg News Morning Console poll find swing state voters across nearly every major demographic group describe President Biden as too old. Even among those who say they plan to vote for Biden in November, seven to ten are concerned about his age. Almost half of respondents say Republican rival Donald Trump is too old. But Trump is also facing his own vulnerabilities, with most saying the GOP front runner is dangerous. As many as half of swing state voters say they would not vote for Donald Trump if he's convicted in a criminal case. And while the economy remains the top issue amongst swing state voters, more are starting to turn their attention to border security. In Washington, Amy Moore as Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Right, Amy, thanks, So, President Biden is turning his attention to the border today, He'll be in Brownsville, Texas, to meet with border patrol agents and law enforcement. On the same day, former President Trump plans to visit Eagle Pass, Texas, the epicenter of the recent migrants spike, more than three hundred miles away. Larry Sabado with the University of Virginia Center for Politics says President Biden knows the border issue is a political weak spot.
Speaker 6: The Democrats haven't focused enough on the border, and so Biden is going to have to make his case at the border repeatedly. And he's got a new weapon to use the fact that House Republicans killed the bipartisan bill that would have addressed most of their concerns, and.
Speaker 1: The University of Virginia's Larry Sabado says the President is likely to use the trip to pressure lawmakers to pass that by partisan.
Speaker 3: Senate bills in the Senate. Meanwhile, Karen are going to have to decide just how loyal they want their next leader to be to Donald Trump. Mitch McConnell is stepping away from leadership after the November election. He hinted at the fight to come in his announcement.
Speaker 7: Believe me, I know the politics within my party at this particular moment in time. I have many faults, mister, understanding politics is not.
Speaker 3: One of Leader mcconnald's most likely successors are known as the Three Johns. John Thune of South Dakota, John Cornon of Texas, and John Barrosso of Wyoming. Unlike McConnell, all three have endorsed former President Trump, though Thoon held out till just this week.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan, another partial government shutdown is a step closer to being averted. Congressional leaders struck a last minute deal to provide one more week of funding after this Saturday's deadline and keep parts of the government funded through the end of September. Other agencies, including the Defense and Homeland Security departments, would still face a shutdown on deadline of March twenty third. Hardline Republicans, including South Carolina Congressman Ralph Norman, are already blasting the deal.
Speaker 4: American people deserve better than this.
Speaker 7: You and ron A Peanuts stand over how the Congress is trying to do the national budget.
Speaker 1: And Republican Congressman Ralph Norman tells Bloomberg's balance of power he'll vote against another stopgap. Speaker Mike Johnson plans to bring the one week extension to the House floor. Today.
Speaker 3: Turning to the markets and the economy now, Karen, Futures are headed lower the head of a key report closely watched by the FED, the core PCE deflator, the Fed's preferred gage of inflation, is due out at eight thirty am Wall Street Time. Let's get a preview now from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 8: Markets have finally come into alignment with the FED betting on three rate cuts this year. That's after consumer and producer price inflation came in hotter than expected in January, suggesting the central bank needs to keep the economy's breaks on. Today we get the fed's primary inflation indicator, personal consumption prices more on what people actually are buying each month. Unfortunately, it's forecast to echo the other price numbers, rising more than expected for January. Some analysts think it could rise as much as half a percent after increasing just seventeen basis points last month. That kind of result may increase speculation Fed officials might adjust their own rate forecast at their March meeting. Michael mckae, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Mike, thanks well, as we await the PCE deflator data on email regarding another economic report is causing confusion on Wall Street. We get the latest from Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 9: John, all right, thanks Karen. The number crunchers at the Labor Department sent out an email to a group of super users and then trying to retract it. It suggested a surgeon owner's equivalent rant that showed up in the CPI was caused by adjustment to how components of the index are weighted. The adjusted weights could keep ratings on rents elevated through the first half of the year. The pop and owner's equivalent rent that was a major factor behind the strength of the over old January CPI figure. That's surprised just about everybody. Those higher than expected CPI numbers have been cited by Federal Reserve officials as a reason to delay interest rate cuts. John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Now more Fed officials are saying the future of rates depends on incoming economic data. New York Fed President John Williams says the rate path will follow the numbers rather than the calendar.
Speaker 10: Back in December, my colleagues and I put out what we call projections or forecasts, and the median was for three rate cuts this year in twenty twenty four. Well, we're data dependent.
Speaker 7: We're go watch the data. I'm going to watch the data.
Speaker 10: A sign of success to me is that, you know, with inflation coming down and the economy so strong, that we can be thinking about doing that, I would say later this year.
Speaker 3: And those thoughts from New York Fed President John Williams were echoed by Boston Susan Collins and Atlanta's Rafael Bostek.
Speaker 1: Well, let's check out some stocks on the move, Nathan, as we close out the trading month. Shares a Snowflake, plunging twenty three percent, the software maker delivering a disappointing sales forecast and announcing that chief executive Frank A. Saluteman is stepping down from the role. Investors are trimming shares of ww International, the owner of weight Watchers, says Oprah Winfrey is going to leave the board, and that stock is down twenty two and a half percent. Shares of AMC Entertainment down almost eight percent, the world's largest theater chain reporting fourth quarter earnings that fell short of Wall Street estimates.
Speaker 3: Now the look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. We bring in Bloomberg's Michael Park. Good morning, Michael, Good morning Nathan. The series of wildfires in Texas covers an area larger than the state of Rhode Island. The explosive growth of the second largest wildfire in the state's history slowed as winds and temperatures dipped, but the massive blaze was still untamed. The Smokehouse fire is the largest of several major fires burning in the rural Panhandle section of the state, destroying homes, ranches, and livestock. One fire swept through the town of Canadian. Nim Kid is with the Texas Emergency Management Division.
Speaker 8: And we don't want people going back if the evacuation orders are still in place. I believe this fire will grow before it gets fully contained.
Speaker 11: Yes, so far, and eighty three year old grandmother is the only confirmed death. Just today, after dozens of migrants were discovered living in the basement of a Queen's furniture store, more migrants were found at another furniture store in the Bronx. The owner of the Bronx store on East Kingbridge Road is apparently the same owner of the Queen store. Yesterday, authority said it was discovered dozens of West African migrants paid deposits and three hundred dollars a month to stay in the illegal tiny retail space. New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced the release of the Green Economy Action Plan. The mayor says it's a first of its kind plan that lays out a road map to invest in jobs and sectors that will help the city combat climate change. Adams made the announcement yesterday when the city had unseasonable mild temperatures.
Speaker 12: Climate change is real. We see it every time we see the coastal storms. And let's be clear, we are in February and you can go outside without a jacket on.
Speaker 11: About four hundred thousand projected green collar jobs are expected in this city by twenty forty. The Commerce Department says the US will investigate potential data and cybersecurity risks posed by Chinese electric vehicles and other Internet connected cars. That's according to an administration official who requested anonymity. Comedian and actor Richard Lewis has died. Lewis was well known as a stand up comic and actor, but probably most notable for playing a fictional version of himself on HBO's curb your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: Well, I have better news for you.
Speaker 7: I'm leaving you in my will.
Speaker 10: I'm tweaking it and you're in it.
Speaker 7: Don't do that.
Speaker 11: It's done.
Speaker 8: You're in.
Speaker 7: I don't want to be.
Speaker 5: I have money, I don't need it.
Speaker 7: Give it to someone who needs it.
Speaker 13: When I die.
Speaker 4: I want you to know how much I care about you.
Speaker 10: I'm not going to keep it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give it my best friend.
Speaker 8: You're getting it.
Speaker 11: According to his publicist, Richard Lewis died peacefully at a home in Los Angeles after suffering a heart attack at age seventy six. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now, Michael Barr, this is Bloomberg Natan.
Speaker 3: Okay, Michael, thank you. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports up DA. Good morning, chun Stasher.
Speaker 14: Good morning naighth and check of the NHL standings right now finds that no team has more points then the Rangers. At the Garden, they made it eleven wins the last twelve games. They beat the only team that has beaten them during that time. Three nights after the Rangers lost in Columbus, they beat the Blue Jackets four to one. Pair of goals for our Timmy Panarin against his old team, Thirty saves for Igor chess Terkin Rangers fortieth win and in half of them chess Drkin is allowed no more than two goals. At MSG tonight, it's the banged up and slumping Nicks against the Warriors. Always a hot ticket when Steph Curry comes to town.
Speaker 11: Battle of La.
Speaker 14: Last night, the Lakers trailed the Clippers by twenty one. In the fourth quarter, Lebron James brought the Lakers back to victory. He outscored the Clippers by himself in the fourth. Chicago be Cleveland of double overtime.
Speaker 5: Big E St.
Speaker 14: John's third straight win eighty two sixty nine at Butler. Seaton Hall lost by twenty one at Creighton, also fifth rank Marquette won by twenty two, and the acc Duke beat Louisville Duke Star Centaer Kyle Philapowski did play despite the knee injury suffered when Wake Forest fans stormed the court last Saturday, and Port Saint Luisie win for the Mets now four and one. Pete a Lonzo homerd so did Trace Thompson priorady. The second time. One thing seems certain about the Jets roster in twenty twenty four. It won't include Zach Wilson. The Jets general manager is Joe Douglass.
Speaker 15: I've had a good conversation with his agent, Brian Ariel, who we where we are exactly we've given We've given them permission to talk to other teams about a trade. I'm gonna circle back with Brian at some point either this week or next week, just to see how those conversations go. But other than that, there's nothing else to report.
Speaker 14: Jets owner Woody Johnson recently said that Jets made a backup quarterback because last season they didn't have one, a clear shot at Wilson, who certainly struggled after Aaron Rodgers went down.
Speaker 11: John Stanshawer Bloomberg Sports d.
Speaker 3: Thank you, John. Now, let's get right back to all that's happening in the nation's capital. Former President Donald Trump's immunity claims are about to get an airing at the Supreme Court. Border security is about to take center stage in the campaign. In a split screen moment for President Biden and former President Trump and Mitch McConnell's departure is setting up a GOP leadership fight in the Senate. For more on all this and more happening in the nation's capital, Greg Valier is back with US chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. It's difficult to know where to start, Greg, but we'll do so. With this Supreme Court decision to hear the immunity claims from former President Trump, first off, were you surprised that the High Court decided to take this up?
Speaker 13: No, I thought it would come. I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 13: The real angle here, Nathan, is how long this could delay the process. I mean, Trump is brilliant at delaying and appealing, dragging things out, and I think that this Supreme Court case could go well into the summer, maybe into the fall. Could we have an inauguration with these legal charges still hanging over Trump?
Speaker 3: And to that point, the Supreme Court says it's going to hear arguments in late April. Why wait till then?
Speaker 13: Hard to say. I don't know the answer to that, but I do feel that this is going to go on for many months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned that it could happen right around inauguration time, that these cases could still be hanging over the former president. But if the court does rule against former President Trump and find that he's not immune to prosecution, it goes back I assume to the lower court that does indicated that it's going to try this case or at least try to get it done relatively quickly. So how do you see it playing out?
Speaker 13: Well? I think the the wild card here is the ability of Trump to, if he wins re election, to get his new attorney general and others to pardon him to drop the charges. And I think that is a threat that you cannot dismiss and.
Speaker 3: Something that a lot of voters are going to be grappling with. I would imagine as this twenty twenty four campaign goes on. I mean, the former president has managed, as you say, to turn his legal troubles to his political advantage. But if he's facing some serious charges like the ones that Special Counsel Jack Smith has brought against the former president, do you see that dynamic shifting at all.
Speaker 13: Well, it's worth noting that Smith was not happy yesterday at the prospect that this could drag on, and I think Smith has to be concerned that it could be October and this trial could still be ongoing. That would be very unnerving for the US now.
Speaker 3: Of course, there are so many issues at play in the race, not the least of which, of the I mean, for most, for most voters in the polls, is immigration. And we're about to have this split screen moment in Texas for Biden and Trump at the border. How important could today be when it comes to the narrative around border security?
Speaker 13: Oh, on a cenek. I think this is just a photo op for both of them. You'd love to see some progress toward reviving the deal that died a few weeks ago, but I don't see it. I think both parties will keep immigration as a political issue for the fall election.
Speaker 3: So you don't think that bipartisan Senate bill gets revived anytime soon.
Speaker 13: I don't think so. I mean the vehicle, of course, would be aid to Ukraine, and if you could put that all together in a deal, you might be able to revive it, but it's already failed once in the House. We'll see about Mike Johnson. He's shown a little bit more skilled as a negotiator in the last week or two. You know, maybe he can put a deal together, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of these issues, I would imagine are going to come into play as we get closer to a leadership fight in the Senate. With Mitch McConnell's surprise announcement that he's stepping down after the November election. Where do you see this leadership fight going? What could the next Republican leader look like when it comes to support for loyalty to former President Trump?
Speaker 13: Well, ironically, in the Senate there's only a handful of Republicans who support Trump, and with McConnell leaving, it makes things even more difficult for the President. So I think that within the Senate we're going to see several candidates emerge, maybe half a dozen, but clearly the torch has been passed. I mean, McConnell had a huge influence on US foreign policy and defense in Ukraine and judicial nominations, and whoever succeeds him as really big shoes to fill.
Speaker 3: Just quickly, are you ready to make a call on who that next leader might be?
Speaker 13: I'd say maybe John Cornyan of Texas as a placeholder. John Barrasso out Western Wyoming has a chance, and so does Thon of South Dakota. Although has been very cool to Trump. This is going to be a Trump Senate no question about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Greg Valiere, a comprehensive roundup of all that's happening in the nation's capital. Greg, thanks again for being with US chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. Now we want to go even deeper on the dynamics driving this presidential campaign and the results from our latest Bloomberg News Morning Consult poll of voters in swing states that'll be key in deciding the twenty twenty four election. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg National Politics reporter Gregory Cordy and Greg Just to take a broad view of this poll, it seems like the choice that most swing state voters say they have in a likely rematch between President Biden and former President Trump is do I choose the guy who's too old or the guy who's too dangerous?
Speaker 16: Yeah, that was exactly what came out of this Paul, as we asked these swing state voters to kind of tell us which of these two candidates is described by a number of different characteristics, one of which is too old. And this poll came in the aftermath of this her report into President Biden's handling of classified information, in which he said he characterized Biden as an elderly man with a poor memory, and that really resonated with voters across every single demographic group. In our poll, and we have one hundred and five different crosstabs in this poll, every single one of them said Biden is too old. Eighty two percent, we're all and that's just a stunning number of the Americans who don't agree on much agree on that. And then a smaller number, but a significant number, about fifty two percent say that President former President Trump is dangerous and so very strong personalities and very strong and calcified opinions that Americans have of these two men.
Speaker 3: And it gets to sort of the dynamic that I think we've talked about playing out in this race for quite some time, that when it comes to President Biden and former President Trump, it seems like most voters have more negative opinions of these two front runners than positive.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and we're seeing really significant numbers of what we call double haters, people who say they have a negative impression of both of these men and not really having a place to go. We do see that Robert F. Kennedy Junior continues to get you a good amount of support not enough to win or perhaps even make a difference in any one state, but there is a third party possibility with third party candidates still out there. But across these seven swing states form President Trump still leads Biden an average of five percent across all the states, and in each and every one of them, some are within the margin of error, some not. But Trump's lead over Biden has been pretty consistent in every poll that we've had in the five months so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we've talked about some of the issues that voters are thinking about as well. In these polls that we've done over the past several months, we've seen immigration sort of rise to the top. Is that still the case now?
Speaker 16: Yeah, well not, Immigration hasn't risen quite to the top yet. The economy is still the number one issue. It goes back to you know what James Carvill said during the Bill Quinton's nineteen ninety two campaign. It's the economy, stupid. It is still the economy. The economy slowly gets better, and we're starting to see that. The percentage of Americans who say the US economy is on the right track has gone up since last October. And that's giving room for voters to think about other issues, and the issue that they're thinking about is the crisis at the southern border. We have both Biden and Trump going to the border today to two different spots, two urn sixty miles apart, which just I think reinforces how salient of an issue that both of these men know that that issue is, and we're seeing it in our swing states.
Speaker 3: Boone And as far as the horse race goes, just to get down to the numbers, I think last month we'd found that Trump was leading Biden in all seven swing states that we pull. Has that changed in this current tally?
Speaker 16: That continues to be the case, And I'm just looking at these numbers. I'll rat on one off to you. Arizona Trump leads by six. Georgia also by six, Michigan by two. That's always been a pretty good state for Biden, but he's still losing it by two. Nevada Trump leads by six, North Carolina Trump leads by nine. In Pennsylvania he's up by six, and Wisconsin Trump is up by four, And so that averages out to a five point lead across those seven swing states. And as I say, that's been pretty consistent there hasn't been a month where Joe Biden has been able to really crack a lead in any of those seven swing states.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERRIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak