Speaker 1: Hey, what's up, everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Get the In's Charge podcast for is Anybody Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen. I'm the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler what some I mean? How you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, man. How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic as well.
Speaker 2: It's Combine week, one of my favorite weeks of the NFL schedule. We're recording this on Wednesday. By the time this comes out, you guys will be listening to this hopefully or watching this on Friday, so we'll have some testing numbers, some measurements that all starts tomorrow as we're recording this. So really excited to see that. We've heard from the edge rushers. We've heard from the linebackers, defensive linemen today at the Combine. We obviously heard from the general managers and head coaches yesterday from the media. We'll talk about mister Joe Horties's press conference here in a minute.
Speaker 1: So it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Draft season is ramping up in a big way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the season ended and then we're right back in it and I've got over sixty prospects graded. I'm stoked man, Like it's good stuff. I'm excited for the underwear Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been putting putting together my big board as we do every single year, and like I always start with like the first round grades, but now I'm like starting to solidify who I have in like that second second round range things like that. So it's a lot of fun and I love talking about the draft, and free agency is right around the corner. We're officially two weeks away from free agency as of recording this today, so it's gonna it sneaks up on us every single year. There's all the back channeling stuff that's happening at the combine this week is gonna shape a lot of what happens in the next couple of weeks. So excited to dive into all that before we get started today. First and foremost, tailand are fans of the team, just like you guys are. The opinions that we express and share on the show are not always reflective of the opinion of the Chargers organization themselves. We're very grateful to have this platform, but just like you guys, we are fans at the end of the day, and that's why we're happy to bring a fan perspective to the show and to the draft and everything like that. So specifically, today, we're gonna talk about Joe Ortiz's press conference, and then we're gonna highlight some free agent targets that mister Joe Ortiz and company might be looking at, could be looking at that makes some sense for where the Chargers are at financially. But let's start with Joe Ortes's press conference here, Tyler. We'll spend a few minutes there the bulk of our show on the free agency targets. But what's kind of your big takeaway from Joe Ortes's press conference. He's had some time now to like sit back and watch the roster. You know, of course, he's not gonna lay everything out, he's not gonna tell us what he's gonna do and all that stuff, but he had some interesting comments. Was there one that kind of stood out most to you this week?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love the comment about how the roster should never be where you wanted, and they're going to find different points in this season to make the ross for better. They're going to work daily to add pieces to the roster to improve it or to help the defense of the offense, whatever they need. You know, you're working constantly to get the roster to where you need it to be. So it's it's free agency, like he said, but it's also June free agency and preseason free agency and deadlines and things like that. I mean, this is, you know, this is a guy coming from a Ravens team that August of last year signed Jadeveon Clowney and in September of last year signed Kyle van Noy and the previous year traded for Rokwan Smith at the deadline. And that's one hundred and thirty pressures, I believe, twenty one sacks, almost one hundred stops, somebody forced fumbles that they added to their roster because they were trying to do their best to be the best team they possibly could. And I think it's so much better to be proactive than it is to be reactive in the NFL. I mean, how many seasons have we watched where the Chargers you know, relied on maybe the next guy or weren't so sure, but so they waited to see how things would play out, and the season or the postseason even fizzled out because they just didn't have the right pieces to carry them into the postseason or further into the postseason. It's a very very different organization I think moving forward with hort tees with Jim Harboff. You know, the Ravens since twenty eleven had more than fifty trades, whether it's trading for picks or trading for players. Like they are always going to be active and I appreciate that so much. Like this roster, you can never just be content with it. It's not a set and forget thing in the NFL. There's so much that goes on, and I love that Hortt's is like, yeah, we are going to prepare for this and we're going to be as proactive as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned the two pass rushers.
Speaker 2: I mean he signed Arthur Malette and Ronald Darby the two corners in July, and those guys ended up starting a lot of games for them. You know, I'm sure they would have loved to be in a situation where their starters play all seventeen games, but those guys were injured in those July free agency signings paid huge dividends for them. He had a similar quote in the press conference, but I believe it was on the NBC Desk with Chris Sims and Mike Florio, where he basically said, paraphrasing that like, you can't be afraid to add depth when you need depth, Like he's going to do everything you can to turn over the roster. You know, that quote specifically was about the fifth overall pick, But the mentality for him is always just going to be like I'm going to give Jim and the coaching staff everything that they need. And if that's a cornerback in July, I'm going to do it. If that's a pass rusher in August, I'm going to do it. If that's a pass rusher again in September, I'm going to do it. Like the roster turnover, I think is is going to be a different thing for us to watch, but in a good way, you know. I mean, like I look back at, you know, the twenty twenty two season and how impactful Bryce Callahan and Morgan Fox were to that team and the specific you know roles that they played. You know, Morgan Fox was a huge piece down the stretch that year after Austin Johnson and everybody got injured along the defensive line, they had to raise his game and Bryce Callahan, you know, has an injury history, but he stays healthy for the whole season that year and has an awesome season in the slot. So those those signings might seem small, you know, financially, they're certainly small when you're talking about comparing it to like the big All Star kind of prospects, but you know they pay huge dividends across the roster. You never know what kind of impact those guys can make.
Speaker 3: Just going back to something you mentioned earlier, what did you make of the fifth overall pick comment about going best player available. You know, you never one player away, but at that point, if you have the chance to take one of these elite players, you do it. There's been so much talk about the Chargers, and I think every Chargers fan has a mock draft where the Chargers are trading back once or seven times or whatever. Would you make of that specific comment about fifth overall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you look at the Ravens draft history, and obviously it's it's always tough to correlate like one, but I mean, Joe Ortiz was there for twenty years, Like the Ravens ideas are like, that's how Joe's going to operate and like I think he if they believe that one of the players at number five is a blue chip player like can't Miss Prospect, I think they'll stick and pick that player. But if Marvin Harrison Junior, let's say, is the only can't miss player on their board and he's gone, I believe that they are going to try and trade back, because I like Joe Orti's highlighted the need for depth at every single interview.
Speaker 1: He did yesterday.
Speaker 2: So I think, in an ideal word, in an ideal world for the charters, I think that the trade back is kind of number one priority on their boards unless they can get a guy who they think is blue chip. And maybe that's Malik Neighbors. Maybe that's Joe Alt, maybe that's Olufusano. We don't really know their board. I think we kind of tend to agree it's it's Harrison or Neighbors or maybe Odunze. But I think that the desire to trade back is very real.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, Yeah, I would agree, and I certainly don't expect Hortis to go out and say, hey, here's our plan, this is what we're doing. I just was curious what you thought because that did make me raise an eyebrow for a bit. Stephen, what was your big takeaway from this presser?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think his comment where he was asked specifically about the depth of the offensive line class and pivoted it to the depth of the wide receiver class is certainly notable. I think we just we talked about just briefly mentioning the top of the wide receiver class this year is outstanding. But like I'm like, sixteen receivers deep, and I'm like, man, I really like this player, you know, and there's just the depth of talent that you can get at wide receiver in the second and third rounds. It's great for the Chargers. Obviously, I'm on board with taking a wide receiver in the first round with one of those guys, but you know, you look at this group of second and third round wide receivers is incredibly deep, and that includes guys that Jim Harbo is very familiar with, like a Roman Wilson type for like a Ricky Piersoll or Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, like the list goes on and on. I know a lot of people like Xavier Leggatt from South Carolina, but it it's it's it's very real where you see these guys like a Tank Dell like it, Pukua Akua, you know, and there's been other third, fourth, fifth round guys who come in and make strong impacts.
Speaker 1: Obviously Cooper Cup was the same way a few years ago.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of the nature of the college game where it's like, yes, I would love to have a blue chip talent, but at the end of the day, there's so many different options out there in this specific class where you have a great blue chip class, you have a great second tier class and really solid depth into into Day three, I think too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, as it turns out, Trevor Sikama, who covers the draft for a living three hundred and sixty five days a year, was right and that that is a very deep wide receiver class that could rival last year's. He said that there probably won't be another Puka Nakua, certainly not a Pokinakua on day three. Like, if you're gonna find someone if it's Marvin Harrison junior, great, but that's Marvin Harrison junior. Unlikely to find another guy on Day three that can do that. But it is a very very deep class and I'm glad that that is at least in his mind. Same with offensive line of course, but at least with wide receiver as well. Because you mentioned Nakool, you mentioned Tank Dell, Josh Downs, Jayden Reed. There were so many guys throughout last year's draft that contributed so much that for almost every team that took a receiver in the first round or maybe even in the second round, you could argue that they went too early, that maybe they could feel some regret because oh man, we could have had Joey Porter Junior and Jayden Reid instead, or we could have had Brian Branch and Tank Dell or whatever. Any team in those first two rounds could have maybe felt that way because the depth of the class was so good and they was so strong. I mean, it's not like I forget who was discussing this. It might have been Joe Hartis, But it's not like the wide receivers previously, where they get, you know, twenty thirty targets, and that's kind of it like from decades ago. Now these guys are getting one hundred targets, you know, seventy five catches. There's so much to go off of. It's so much more involved. So, yeah, I'm curious to see who the risers are at the combine this week because it's a very deep class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, at wide receiver specifically, I'm curious if maybe the Chargers maybe not, but I'm curious if more teams kind of follow what the Green Bay Packers have done the last two years where they passed on like a first round I receiver, but then they took one in the second round and Christian Watson. Then they took another one in the fourth round, Romeo Dobs, And this past year they did it again. I think it was a fourth and a fifth with Jayden Reid and don Tavian Wicks. Like, I'm curious with the amount of wide receiver talent that there is, if teams are like, hey, like maybe we don't need a first round talent, Maybe we just need a couple on Day three and we'll see kind of what happens.
Speaker 1: You know, cream rises to the top.
Speaker 2: So you know, obviously the Packers had the youngest offense in the league and they were still a top ten unit. So there's blueprint gets thrown around a lot as kind of like a catchphrase. But that to me from like a philosophy standpoint in personnel department is curious to see if we might see teams doing that more often.
Speaker 3: I guess it really depends if you have Lafleur or if you have Andy. It's a lot easier if you can you can make any receiver work. I mean Bo Melton was drafted or undrafted for agent by the Seahawks. It didn't really do much went to the package. No, Look, we have Lafloor as the coach now in calling plays. Hey, I'm productive out of nowhere. Don't know that every team can get that. I don't even know if the Chargers can really do that, but I would understand if you're confident in your play calling and how you scheme things open, and if you're basically a bulletproof kind of play caller. Yeah, I could see why that would be the new model. Not that you avoid receiver all together in the first round. If the guys they are the guys there, but you could wait because these classes are just getting better and better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I do think that there is something to be said about if you think there's a blue chip guy, you take that and you kind of figure out other ways, like everybody and I think we are including this. Want to see the Charters maximize their draft weekend by trading for picks and acquiring more picks. Well, you can do that in around two. You can trade down around two, you can trade down around three, and the Ravens have done that pretty successfully throughout the time that Joe Ortiz was there. So you know, if they stick and pick at five, maybe they try down from thirty seven to fifty or something like that in the second round and get like another Day three pick or something like that. So I feel pretty confident that Joe's going to play the board. The Chargers are not going to make all seven of their original picks at those spots. I think they'll they'll have some movement and potentially getting another pick from you know, Drew Trankle's contract in the COMPIIC formula. Maybe there's a player trade things like that. So Joe's gonna play the board. I feel pretty confident about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as am I in Harbab, we trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Tyler, any other thoughts about the press conference media tour from Joe Ortiz or do you want to dive into the free agency talk here?
Speaker 3: Just one quick thing and that's that he said he will not stand for chargering, and he mentioned that there are other teams that do this, Like we just saw the Lions not have a great NFC Championship game. So it's not like the Chargers are the only team to charger, if you will, but it is a label that follows them, and I appreciate that Joe Hortes mentioned that we will not stand for that. I guess, of course he would. What else is he going to But I appreciate him acknowledging that and saying that that is this is a problem, and it's a problem that you know, is organizational or was organizational, and it's something that I think sits with US fans a lot, this idea of charging. I remember being at Qualcomm and Raiders fans would be singing, you know, San Diego, super Chokers and all that sort of stuff, Like it follows us as fans too, and we want to feel like, hey, we're winners too, and we support a winning team. And I think with with Harbot, with Hortes, everybody, everybody from this All Star staff, I think they're going to get past that. I hope they do, but I at least appreciate him saying, hey, we're not going to stand for that anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that's that was an interesting question. I think Justin Herbert was asked about that too in a different interview. The guys that'side. I mean, the guys in the locker room are just gonna say, like, I don't know what that is, but like you know, we're we're not going to stand for that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So it is interesting, all right.
Speaker 2: So, so one of the things Joe did talk about was the free agency avenues. He mentioned that they were going to be aggressive, but they were going to be smart and creatively aggressive, not necessarily going out and shopping for any big fish. Here, charters, even with the cap increase, are still twenty two million dollars in the red before the start of the new league year in a couple of weeks here, So, Tyler and I have prepared a list of four players each. You might mention a couple others here, but of players who are projected to make less ten million dollars or less average per year according to mister Brad at Spielberger's free agency ranking. And Brad does not miss he's the best in the business. So we're going to be talking about that kind of group of free agents where you know, you're talking about kind of the mid level guys. If you go into the free agency rankings of your favorite analysts that are probably not in the top fifty, they're probably closer to like sixty seventy one hundred, one hundred and fifty. There's one that's not even on the list for me today. But that's that's that's the kind of group that we are starting with. And I think I'll start us off here with you know, I think my my top priority, if I am putting my Joe Hortiz cap on it is solidifying the offensive line in free agency and not necessarily taking that right tackle need away. But my goal in free agency is to add somebody who can play multiple spots. And a lot of Chargers fans have Peggs, you know, Mike and Winnu from the Patriots as that guy. He's probably a little bit outside of this price range. So for me, I'm looking at offensive lineman who can play multiple spots, whether that's center and guard, whether that's both guard spots, tackle guard, whatever the case would be. I'm trying to find some versatility to give me some flexibility. A guy that could play center if the rookie you know, draft war doesn't follow their way, would be huge for this team. You know, have a competition across multiple spots. It's kind of the idea here. So Graham Glasgow is my choice. A former Michigan man. He was not recruited by Jim Harbaugh. He was already there when Jim Harbor was hired, but he finished his career under Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.
Speaker 1: This is a guy who.
Speaker 2: Has over twelve hundred career snaps at left guard, over twenty six hundred career snaps at center, and over thirty two hundred snaps at right guard. So he can play all three spots along the interier. I think he gives the charters a ton of flexibility. This last year, specifically, he played at a very high level at right guard for the Detroit Lions. He was sixteenth out of seventy nine in Pro Football focuses wins above replacement metric, which is very good for a guard in that In that standing, the pass blocking efficiency rating is not at that level. It was fifty ninth out of eighty three guards this past season. But from a run blocking standpoint, he was fifth out.
Speaker 1: Of eighty three qualified guards.
Speaker 2: So this is this is a taller, you know, bigger physical guard center kind of guy who really fits what the had traditionally and like a Bradley Boseman type of player, and like a Kevin Zeitler type of player. And he's not going to break the bank. And so you're looking at a contract, maybe it's two years, fourteen million dollars. I think Brad specifically has him at seven million dollars per year. So in that in that six to eight million dollars per year range for a guy who could start at center for this team, he could start at right guard for this team. Worst case scenario for him is that you he's your swing into your offensive lineman, can play all three spots. So I just I want that versatility. I want that flexibility, and I think Graham Glasgow, the eight year veteran, can bring that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's my favorite of the picks that are projected to or at least they could play center for the Chargers. The Chargers absolutely need to go into this dropt with a guy they feel comfortable starting for the entire season for them. Should they miss out on a player on a center that they like, and I really do like Glasgow quite a bit, especially in the run blocking. As you mentioned, I think that it's a perfect fit for what the Chargers. Where the Chargers are at, obviously, they've had some really good luck with centers recently with Pouncy and then Lindsley. They brought these guys in and both have been very good. Haven't had you know, lengthy careers with the Chargers. It's not like they played with the Chargers for a decade. But I think that's perfect because there are a lot of really good center or interior offensive lineman prospects in this class, and Glasgow, whether it's you know, just this year or two years, can really help bridge between you know, what the Chargers probably need right now, what Herbert really needs right now, to who their center of the future is eventually going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you could take in this regard a Hunter nors At from ben State who I really like, or a Bowlimmer from Arkansas in the fourth round, fifth round, and if those guys are ready to play right away, great, then Glasgow can play guard for you. If they're not, then Glasgow's your starting center for the year.
Speaker 1: So I like that one.
Speaker 2: I think he gives to the Chargers a lot of flexibility. Who's your top one that you want to bring.
Speaker 3: Even I can't believe I'm doing this because I didn't think I was going to bring this name up. I am going to bring up Derrick Henry, the running back for the Titans, and he's expensive. Who said ten million dollars or less? And the projection is right at ten million dollars. So I get to use this name.
Speaker 1: That's why you wanted to include that or less? I see you, I get.
Speaker 3: It, I get what I want. The player pitch is very simple. It was eighth in yards after contact per temps sixth and breakaway rate fourth and miss tackles forced second in PFF war. So this is a very good running back. This is a very good player as is. But why an expensive older running back? I genuinely believe, and Joe Hort He's mentioned as much in his presser that running backs have quite a bit of value, and they certainly have value in this offense with Jim Harbon what he wants to do, with what Greg Roman wants to do. I do believe absolutely that running back has value and there are several other options. I bring up Derrick Henry, but there are plenty of other ones. Edwards, Josh Jacob, Zach Moss, etc. Those are all really good names too. But I think for this one with Derek Henry, I wanted to bring it up for a few reasons that I'll get into, other than the fact that he is a good player. One the forty nine Ers did give Frank Gore a three year, twenty million dollar contract back in twenty eleven, and he was aged twenty eight at that time. Derrick Henry will be twenty nine, so it's not like Jim Harbaugh has not done this before. And heck Gore went to the Jets to finish his career, where Chad Alexander, the Charger's new assistant general manager, was there as a director of player personnel. I'm not saying they're getting Frank Gore, but I'm saying like there is a bit of comfort with a giving money to a player's twenty eight twenty nine and be a running back who is older, like they will go out and do this. Granted Frank Gore at that time versus Derek Henry. Now, different mile age, different cary totals, but still, but the Ravens have gone out of their way previously, and of course Georgy Ortiz was there to go get Le'Veon bell A, Melvin Gordon, a Dalvin Cook. Again not as a ten million dollar a year starter by any means, but again they are comfortable working in that age range and trying to find back to keep the the room going. But the reason I'm really bringing this up at all is that there are now some reports circulating that last year there was a deal in place, or very close to a deal in place, to send Derrick Henry from the Titans to the Ravens. Why did it fall through? I have no idea, but Joe Harties was with the Ravens and so I don't know how involved he was with that. But if the reports are believed to be true, and I don't know if i'd say I believe them, We'll never really know. But if you believe those reports to be true, then there was some interest. So I think that based on history, based on what they want to do, what Greg Roman wants to do, potentially that trade of having happened last year, and just the fact that Greg Roman and this rushing attack they need somebody like this, I think I did want to bring up Derek Henry, and I wasn't going to before, but after a while and the more I looked into it, I felt like I kind of needed to.
Speaker 2: And there's obviously a lot of love out there where I guess desire for the Chargers to go out and sign an expensive running back. Know Rich Eisen went on his show yesterday I believe maybe Monday, and was advocating for the Chargers to sign Saquon Barkley. I think their Chargers are or were current were at one point in the favorites to sign Josh Jacobs in free agency. So like a lot of people think the Chargers are gonna sign expensive free agent running back, I I think Derrick Henry would probably be my choice of the expensive running backs. Saquan's had an injury history. You know, he's had a ton of wear and tear on his body. And the explosive numbers are still there, but the downto down efficiency numbers last year and even the year before that were were not great. You look at Josh Jacobs, who led the league in rushing in twenty twenty two. The efficiency numbers were not very good last year and the explosive numbers were even worse, and a lot of that could be said. You know, they went from dealing with, like, you know, Derek Carr quarterback and to an Aiden and O'Connell type quarterback. The offense kind of deteriorated, deteriorated. That certainly plays a factor. But if you look at Dereck Henry the Titans offensive line last year, if you just pulled everybody and said, hey, who has the worst offensive line in the league, I think the Titans would have won that poll. And Derek Henry still produced at a really high level, rushing yards over expectation, yards after contact, all the stuff that you highlighted. So I think of the expensive type of backs, Derrick Henry would be my choice. How interested he would be in kind of choosing a soft reset for the Chargers as opposed to going to the Ravens or another team who is currently a Super Bowl contender remains to be seen. But I definitely could understand why anybody would choose Derek Plenty of running backs.
Speaker 3: I think that there is an argument that Joe Horties, or at least the Ravens in general. I know he's not the GM have not paid running backs under Lamar's contract. At the same time, I feel like Lamar also could give you a thousand rushing yards, but justin Herbert is not giving you that right exactly. So I think that you got to kind of meet in the middle. Like Herbert's not gonna go get a thousand yards rushing next year. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't put it past him. So you got to find something to kind of meet you in the middle there for the for the rushing attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we ultimately will see the Chargers at a veteran running back. I think the position room just needs that that kind of juice and you need a you need that sability. You can't go into the draft with Isaiah Spiller and Elijah Dotson under contract like you. You need to add somebody to the room. So I'm gonna go down a few tiers. And this is definitely a character caricature of myself. I went to the school. I actually had a class in college with this individual, and that is mister Zach Moss. And I know people are kind of tired of me talking about Utah. I only talk about Utah when it's relevant, and in assistance it is relevant. You look at Zach Moss and what he did with the Colts, and at one point during the season when Jonathan Taylor was dealing with his injury, Zach Moss was the leading rusher in the entire NFL with Gardner Minshew as his quarterback. You look at his season as a whole, among fifty one running backs with at least ninety attempts, Zack Moss was fifth in rushing yards over expectation per attempt. He was twenty fifth in total mistackles forced, He was twenty eighth in runs a ten plus yards, He was twentieth in breakaway percentage, and he was twenty fourth in first downs created. There's a lot of value in the efficiency of a Zach Moss type of running back. And he showed what he could do for the Colts in spot duty in full time starter duty, and that's just the kind of reliability that I think the Chargers running game needs.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: He's the type of running back to carry the ball twenty times every single game for seventeen weeks.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I know him very well. He gets he gets.
Speaker 2: These little bumps and bruises along the way. Pretty much every season. He misses a gamer here game or two here there quite often. So he's not like a workhorse back like Derrick Henry, but he can come in and stabilize your running back room. He can come in and add some efficiency. You do have to add other running backs to his room, but you know, you get Derek Henry for one year, ten million dollars type deal, let's say, and you can get Zach Moss for two years and seven million dollars total. So you're talking about a much cheaper type of running back who's now your RB one. Maybe he's more of your one A this year and just kind of allows you to take some lumps this year stabilize the position, giving you some some real reliability and capability of the spot for the short term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we just discussed, the Ravens never paid running back a ton of money while under this contract, but they've always done a really good job of having like RB one to RB four plus their fullback be really really good, really really strong. So at any point, like okay, you lose a player JK. Dobbins goes on, for example, and you still have a really good rushing attack. Again, Lamar helps with that quite a bit, but they've always managed to keep a nice group there, so Zach Moss leading that I think would be fantastic. This draft class doesn't seem like it has any Round one guys in frankly like round two and feels rich for a lot of these guys because some of the guys that could be there got hurt and they're recovering from injuries or they're not even you know, running this weekend for various reasons. So it's not like a great class early, but later on that like round three to five, range really do like a lot of these guys. So pairing Zach Moss with one of those guys with Spilder and Dotson feels like a nice, really nice one through four running back room.
Speaker 2: I think that again the Chargers should draft a running back this year. And you know, I like you Tyler's mentioning here. I think Jonathan Brooks are Trey Benson type, like they could be that guy in the second round, but both of them have some knee issues that I would definitely want to get some clarity on. Obviously, Jonathan Brooks towards ACL this past season, we don't know when he's gonna be ready, so you know, whoever, whatever veteran they sign, like, you're gonna need a young running back to be able to come in after him. I mean, the Titans last year I think did it right with adding Ta J.
Speaker 1: Spears.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the kind of thing you're trying to look for. You you're signing Zach Moss, maybe you're doing even cheaper than that. You're signing a Gus Edwards type, and then you're drafting kind of a faster, more explosive type.
Speaker 1: I think is probably the approach that I'm leaning towards.
Speaker 2: If you draft Derek, if you signed Derek Henry, the running back need probably goes down a few rounds. Maybe that becomes like a sixth round need instead of the fourth round need. But either way, like the Chargers are going to run the football in twenty twenty four and as long as Jim Harrod's the coach and they need multiple running backs, it's not just like sign one, I agree.
Speaker 3: Next up for me, I'll go with a defensive tackle, and you have one that I do like quite a bit. More to discuss later, but I'll go with a different one. And that is me just thinking about comp picks here and reclamation projects and coaching. And that is Javon Kinlaw, the defensive tackle for the forty nine ers, who was a former fourteenth overall pick, a lot of talent, it is really not panned out so far, although he did have a much better final season with the forty nine ers. I thirty one pressures, fifteen on stops, I believe four sacks or whatever it was. He's only projected to get five and a half, only projected to get five and a half million dollars a year. I say that as a teacher who definitely not does not make that much money. But if you're Jim Harbaugh, if you're Jesse Minter, if you're Mike Elston, if you're Ben Herbert, if you believe that you are the all star staff that you are and that you can maximize players, particularly on defense, I think you go out and you try to take a chance on some of these quote unquote projects. Not that these guys were projects, but we talked about Clowne, we talked about van Ney. These guys came into this defensive system and had the best years of their careers. And I think that this is potentially a defensive system that can do that. For Kin law. So you find a way to get the former fourteenth overall pick who was kind of ascending this last year anyway, you get him to really have another really good season, like maybe even a great season, and now you're talking about being able to flip. You know, he goes and gets a nice contract elsewhere and you get a future Comppick for that. They did it with Matthew Judah or matt Judon. They did it with Janikokway. They got fourth round picks compicks for those guys. Again, not the most exciting thing ever, but at minimum, you get a player who fits at least like the size profile where we're trying to start looking for defensive tackles. Who are that three hundred plus pound solid player there. He is a bit more of a rusher than a run defender. So I could see why the Chargers would hesitate there. But again, if you believe in who are you are as a staff, I'd like to see the Chargers start going after players who didn't quite hit yet and then getting those players and then maximizing them. So it's either a a benefit to their team or b a benefit to their team long term, because hey, we got a Comppick for that player, So kin Law, there are other defensive tackles I like the one that you're going to mention, very different in terms of what they bring to a team. But I'd like to see the Chargers for many different players go try to work the compics that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's an element that I wish was a greater piece of the Chargers plan previously because I think you know a lot of these guys like there, they didn't work out for certain reasons, right, And maybe it doesn't work out for the Charterers, but it's about maximizing your value and being able to give yourself extra opportunities in ways that you might have not previously done. I mean the forty nine Ers and in other position groups have done that same thing along the defensive line obviously with Chris Kasurk, who is probably the best defensive line coach in the league. So they can take that kind of risk. But yeah, like when we made this plan, like my I guess my catch RaSE for like my my group was going to be like where's the beef, Like where's like this is Wendy's like I need some beef up the middle, and so ground Glass I was gonna be the first guy. Ajon Robinson was gonna be the second guy you brought up Dereck Henry, so natural transitions to Zach Moss. But Ajon Robinson is my other player here for where's the beef? This is an into your defensive lineman for formerly of the New York Giants, and he's not been necessarily tied to this current regime, but the Giants had Wink Martindell, who jesse Minter learned under for quite some time. Ashawan Robinson has also played with the Los Angeles Rams, which was previously coordinated by Brandon Staley, who there is some overlap, as we learned from Cody Alexander, between what the defensive line room specifically is required of them in Brandon Staley's defense to jesse Mincher's defense, and so there, I think this is a world where a Shawn Robinson would come in with a strong grasp of the scheme. He is a very large human being, and I was surprised to learn that he was still only twenty eight years old. I feel like he's been in the league forever. But that's what happens when you get drafted when you're like twenty from Alabama. But you look at the numbers here, he was among seventy six intoieer defensive lineman with fifty percent of their team's run defense maps. So this is this is the run defense guys. Ashawn Robinson was third in total run stops with thirty six and first in run stop percentage with fourteen point one percent. It was twenty seventh in average depth of tackle in terms of average depth of tackle from PFF. And he's only gonna cost you, according to Brad six million dollars per year. And again, the charters are in a space where they can't really afford to go big fish hunting. But let's get some competency at these positions where they're lacking. And for me, like into your offensive line, defensive tackle, running back, Like that's really what I'm seeking in free agency. This is how you get creative and aggressive and free agency without having the resources to do. So, let's just go get a guy who can stabilize the floor of this position group play a specific role for us. We know the charters are going to prioritize like big run stuffing defensive tackles under Jesse Minter, Ashaun Robinson, I think is that.
Speaker 3: I agree it with so much of watching the more specifically Michigan because now I've watched i think eight Michigan defense of prospects in this upcoming class.
Speaker 1: Yea, so many in the combine.
Speaker 3: And they're all really good, Like they're all pretty darn good, which is pretty cool that the Chargers might inherit a lot of that development. But it was so apparent watching the defense for Jesse Minter, like defensive tackle, and the way these guys play is so important and they have to be you know, the guys behind them, the linebackers behind them, or maybe the nickel blitz like those are the guys that end up making the play. So they blitz and they get a QB hit or a pressure or tackle for loss or whatever it is. But those guys up front have to do their jobs of the guys behind them go and go ahead and make those big splash plays. So definitely wanted to go with Robinson. You stole them, but it was a good call. Oh good, Sorry about that one, Tyler.
Speaker 2: But like the I think these are the kind of the rooms that we're talking about pursuing a free agency for the Chargers, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of a lot of beef upfront depth.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious to see ultimately with the processes here. But Tyler, you have one other one and then maybe we get to some extras, extra fun ones at that.
Speaker 3: You don't get to some of your ones, I'm gonna steal them, but I'm gonna stick with mine because I really like yours. I'll stick with mine. And it's a player that I hope never sees the field. But the Chargers absolutely need a backup quarterback, so I am going with Tyrod Taylor in this particular case. There's certainly familiarity there, right, there's a played for the Chargers, obviously, but also with Greg Roman and was drafted by the Ravens and Joe Ortiz and with Andy Bischoff. The Chargers need run game court in a slash tight ends coach. But like the honest truth is, we've seen Justin Herbert go down with some pretty serious injuries. Some he's he's fought through and stayed in the game and played through. Some have ended his season like this past one. And the Chargers, you know, do I think that this backup quarterback or any backup quarterback is going to carry them through the postseason into a Super Bowl this year, like, no, but the Chargers need to give themselves a fighting chance. And we just talked about you know, Hortez and how he wants to make sure we're looking at every possible advantage we can and being prepared and end of the season or beginning of the season, preseason, you name it, like, we're gonna go find players to make sure we're ready in case something happens. And a quarterback is big insurance for that. Obviously, backup quarterback like Tyrod Taylor. Look, am I expecting four hundred yards a game? No, but the Chargers need someone who can come in run this offense, literally run in this offense too. I think Tyrod Taylor brings that. So it's a very inexpensive contract. Again, I hope he never sees the field. That is the hope for every NFL team, every NFL fan. They don't want to see the backup quarterback on the field unless it's a forty point blowout, which hey, I'll take, but they need somebody. They really do need a backup quarterback. It's not the most intriguing exciting free agent, you know, add by any means, but it's insurance and it's important and Unfortunately we've seen Herbert go down a couple of times last few seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's also extra value here in Tyron Taylor knows how Greg Ruman wants to run the offense. And not to say that Justin Herbert needs that extra help, but it's always helpful. Like the backup quarterback position, if you are doing it right, is essentially like another quarterback coach, and so it's an extra set of eyes. Obviously, we know that Justin and Esen Stick are very close, and you know, I wouldn't rule that return out either, but you're gonna want to prioritize somebody who can run, and Greg Roman can have that kind of stabilized floor with the quarterback run game.
Speaker 1: If anything happens.
Speaker 2: So whether it's Stick or Tyrod or somebody else who can run, somebody who's familiar with the kind of offense that they want to run, I think that's where you're kind of looking for a backup quarterback. And I think you know Max Duggan they drafted.
Speaker 1: In the seventh round. He was cut several times.
Speaker 2: I'd be pretty surprised if they entered the season with him as QB two. Like I think they are going to make some kind of transaction there. Whether that's another you know, late round draft pick or veteran or something like that, we'll see. But I think they're going to want some competition for that spot. Maybe it's somebody like Tyroll that's obviously the kind of the higher end of competition. But I would not be surprised at all if they.
Speaker 3: And if it ends up being Tyler Huntley, I will leave you alone for forty five minutes on the podcast. Well you just you just talk about your Utah guys.
Speaker 2: Hey, just give me all the Utah guys. I mean, it's worked out well for the Chargers in the past, but it is what it.
Speaker 1: Is, all right.
Speaker 2: Last one here for me, I need the Chargers to add a tight end. A good blocking tight end is what I desire from free agency. I don't necessarily need that guy to be a great receiver, but you know, I every time I turned on the Chargers tape, I just I needed that good blocking tight end. And Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman need that good blocking tight ends. I've always had one wherever they're at. So there's there's a few different places that I think they could look. I think Brad mentioned Adam Trautman as as a potential fit for the Broncos. That's what I'm not opposed to. But the Chargers did hire Sanjay Lal from the Seattle Seahawks, and the Seahawks tight end room was my favorite tight end room to watch every single time I watched it. They could choose no offense from that room if they wanted to. But Kobe Parkinson, I think is going to be very, very cheap. He's a fantastic run blocker. According to PFFS metrics, how much stock you put into those you know is whatever is but out of tight ends with at least twenty percent of their respective teams run blocking snaps, Kobe Parkinson ranked eighth out of eighty three qualified tight ends, and specifically he was twenty first in gap power run. So the Seattle Seahawks ran a lot of outside zone Shane Waldron's comes from that Sean McVay tree, but when they would go to the gap and power stuff, it was often Kobe Parkinson who was their tight end of choice as a blocker. So he's a guy who, like I would definitely trust as setting the edge, cutting out the backside. You know, he's a quality pass protector as well, and he went to Stanford. He did not play for Stanford when Jim Harbaugh was there, but he probably was recruited by Jim Harbaught in some extent depending on the timeline there. But I think there's a lot of parallel there in terms of like what Stanford is obviously valued at tight ends even with David Shaw, and you know, Jim harbabbly for him, and I just think he fits perfectly what this this regime and look for. There are other tight ends out there, but Kobe Parkinson was very rarely used the passing game. I think there is some more upside there. This is kind of a low cost, high reward chance at tight end for me, loyal listeners of the show. No, I've wanted Kobe Parkinson in the charters for years. The last two trade deadlines, I mentioned him as a trade target because the Seahawks have had an awesome tight end room, So Kobe Parkinson would be a great choice for blocking tight end. I just need somebody to come in here and be competent, and I've always had a thing for Parkinson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been discussing Kobe Parkinson since I feel like for twenty seven years. At this point, like my entire life, I feel like I've just been talking about Kobe Parkinson, like let's trade for him, or it's Cole commit.
Speaker 2: But now they don't cost them a pick. They just probably cost it. You just probably cost it.
Speaker 3: Like just two million dollars. Whoever's got that, feel free to spend it. This tight end class, I have not watched many tight ends. I don't have a lot of enthusiasm to watch this tight end class outside of brock Bowers. But from those that I've watched and from everything you hear, even just looking at the consensus board, it's not a great class for tight ends. It is not like last year's class where I feel like every other pick was a good tight end. It's not really a great class. And even then, if you like some of these tight ends, they're not all great blocking tight ends. You know, Sanders, I think is a pretty solid tight end prospect. It's not really the same kind of blocker that Kobe Parkinson is. So I think the Chargers adding a tight end at any point in free agency would be smart for them. Just have that in your back pocket or as your starter or whoever. Just knowing that you can go into the draft. Don't feel like you have to reach for a tight end or get a tight end that doesn't really fit because you didn't get one in free agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Okay, Tyler, did you have a sure?
Speaker 3: Why do I just keep with positions that are typically considered not the premium positions. Let's go with linebacker because why not. I went with an expense of running back, and I'll go with an expensive linebacker, and that's Frankie Luvu from the Panthers. I don't know what the situation is going to be for the Chargers. How much do they believe in Dan Henley, Nickneman, how much do they believe in Eric Kendricks. How much are these guys going to play? I don't know, But as I said, I watched a lot of Michigan and it was apparent, sure watching the defensive tackles, but also very apparent watching the linebackers play. In particular, you have to have linebackers for jesse mentor to just destroy protection calls by rushing the passer. I think this bears out with the Ravens as well. With like Patrick Queen, he rushed the eighth most times in the NFL last year Michael Barrett Junior Colson, the two Michigan linebackers rushed over one hundred times. I believe Michael Barrett was second in this class and pass rush win rate or pass rush grade, like it is very important for this defense to be able to rush the passer from that BAP, from the A gap, to put different pressures on the quarterback and on the offensive line and the protections. We saw that obviously with the with the Ravens when they played the charges and what they were able to do there. And Louvu is someone who was number one in pass rush grade last year eighth and pass rush win rate, I can barely say that sometimes I think I got at that time, and I just think that's so important for this defense. Again, a bit expensive. We'll see what the room looks like and who they believe in and who they want to continue to work with as a starter in the scheme. But linebacker is so important. And again one you know it's important, like with Derek Henry, with like Greg Roman, sure, but I also feel like there needs to be some sort of precedent to talk about like a linebacker getting this kind of money, and I think that we see with the Ravens sort of like running back, like they do want to invest in this position where it's considered, you know, not our premium position. The Ravens had no problem investing in linebacker, obviously a first rounder for Patrick Queen, but then they gave up two picks for Roe Kwan Smith and gave him a five year, one hundred million dollar contract, and that was important for their defense. That's a big contract. And this is definitely not that Louvu is definitely not getting a five year, hundred million dollar contract, but it is important for this scheme to have run linebackers, excuse me, who can blitz and put pressure on the line in the quarterbacks. And there is a precedent with the Ravens of them going out and spending this much money, so I think it is at least worth bringing up either Louvu or any other linebacker who can rush the passer. You could include Drew Treankle with that as well, because he's very good at doing that. Because I think it's important for this scheme and as a president there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's a good call.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of the film community who really like Frankie Luvu, and it is going to be interesting to see what happens at the linebacker position. You know, the Chargers want to free up some extra cap space. You know, they could certainly cut Eric Kendricks, but maybe they want to keep Eric Hendricks to be that kind of mentor for the next group of linebackers. So it's gonna be interesting you see there quickly. I do think the Chargers are going to be in the market for some kind of defensive back, not an expensive one, but they have a lot of needs a defensive back. Really, the only starters of like your if you like have your course six defensive backs, I think you have Asante and you have Derwin obviously, but I think the other spots are up for grabs right now.
Speaker 1: So I do think the Chargers could be in the market for.
Speaker 2: Maybe a slot corner, maybe a free safety, you know, like a Deshaun Elliott or like a Jordan Fuller type of player. So I am curious to see what the avenues are for adding defensive backs because like linebackers, like you look at the stuff that Michigan has done with Mike saymers Still and Daxon Hill, like, they need versatility at safety and it can't just be their Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I didn't have a particular name to bring up as like this is the defensive back that I have to have, But I'm glad you brought it up because they could go with Jordan Lewis, the slot cornerback for the Cowboys. They go with rock Yohnston, they could go with Ronald Darby, the two former Ravens. They can go with Kenny Moore. I'm not saying that they're going to go out and get an elite great defensive back that I just don't have the kind of money to go out and spend twenty million dollars on a defensive back. But they just need bodies, and they definitely need a veteran presence there. Maybe their first pick in the first round they trade back and take a corner. It'd be great to have someone who's been there, done that, ben league for a very long time who could really help guide that the individual. Not that Derwin can't thought that a Sante Samuel junior camp, but there's something about those like seven, eight, nine year veterans that could be out there to help. So any of these guys who have been there, done that and maybe even understand the scheme. I think would be a really good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, guys, that's going to do it for us today. Tyler, any final thoughts before we head out.
Speaker 3: We are so close to free agency, man, like the offseason wins, They're almost here. I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have a ton of coverage for you guys on Free agency week. By the time this is out, Tyler and I will have an episode specifically about how the Chargers address cornerback on our channel, So please go check that out. Make sure like, subscribe, comment, give us a ratiing review on the Chargers feeds.
Speaker 3: All that stuff really does help us out, so we appreciate you there.
Speaker 2: That's gonna do it for us today. We'll see you guys next week and as always, full time