Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha.
Speaker 2: I'm welcome to Steff. I've never told you protection of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: And welcome to I'm gonna call this a very special happy hour mainly because it's February twenty ninth, twenty twenty four. It is a leap yer, y'all on twenty twenty four. I feel like all of that is very like specific and something may be good luck. I'm gonna say it's all good luck. Not that I believe in like lucky numbers or anything, but all of that feels like because they're all divisible A two four zero, I just that is zero the end. So that's why I'm calling it a happy one mainly or a special one mainly because of the date. So if you're listening to this as we're recording, we are recording on the day that is leap Day, which, by the way, the Google uh caught. It's quite funny because it has that twenty eight plus one and then the frog has the twenty nine on it.
Speaker 1: Have you seen it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I have not seen that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Anyway, it was fun to me.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, okay, that's all reach but okay, but welcome and yes, this is a happy hour. So if you are partaking and joining us in the partaking of adult beverages or whatever whatnot, do so responsibly. We're not currently sponsored by the things that we are talking about necessarily. Maybe it is sponsored by my feelings. I don't know, Oh, in a way, yeah, exactly. So Annie, are you sleeping on anything?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 4: If I had known as a special one, I would have made a special drink because I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To clear out my fridge. No, it's all right.
Speaker 4: I don't have a lot of space in my refrigerator right now, so I'm trying to clear it out. So I'm just drinking an unnamed light.
Speaker 3: Beer light beer, her favorite, And I am just keeping it safe because this is actually our first recording of the day and we have several more to go, and I get very, very sleepy nowadays, not all the time, but typically that's the reaction I have to alcohol. So I'm drinking just some sparkling water with some flavoring in it because I did the machine that you gave me. But yeah, so I'm keeping it zero proof, as we have said, except it's not a mocktail or zero proof cocktail or zero proof drink.
Speaker 1: Settle on.
Speaker 2: I think we settled on zero proof, but I feel like this the specificity of it is that it is something more than what you would normally get on menus.
Speaker 4: That is, like it used to just be water in Coca cola, so it excuse me, an alcohol.
Speaker 2: So I feel like zero proof is like specific category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is I'm just not drinking alcohol right now. So that's the point of that. But essentially, I just wanted to do a quick check in on what's happening because we have hit the second month pretty hard, y'all. As where January felt like it dragged to me, February, which I still hate saying, that month felt like lightning, like it went through so quickly, even with the extra day, which a TikTok creator pointed out was an extra day that we worked without getting extra pay, and I was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: I saw something about that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I've never thought about that.
Speaker 1: Before either did this.
Speaker 3: I was like, knowledge just too much. I kind of wish they hadn't said that because now I feel like I've been taken advantage of, which is anyways, But with that, wanted to do a quick check in to see how we are all doing, and yes that includes you listeners and Christina.
Speaker 1: Check in with us.
Speaker 3: For myself, like I said, this month feels like it just went by so quickly.
Speaker 1: I feel like in our.
Speaker 3: Work right now that we are doing Knock on Wood really well, and that we've been kind of ahead and doing things, you know, like on top. We've been on top of things. We've gotten some good guests, We're getting more good guests, a return of a friend of the show. I'm so excited. There's a lot happening this year. I am bombarded with texts and emails and phone calls for election year stuff which drives me crazy. And just so y'all know, if you try to call me, I will not answer an unknown number ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, which is probably a good thing because you get scammed that way. But yeah, it's been interesting. I have decided also this month that I have to be very specific when I want to hang out with people, and in that the amount of people.
Speaker 1: During a period.
Speaker 3: And I think I've narrowed it down that I will see two to three people every two weeks, and like, if you make that cut, wonderful, But outside of that, and like if it means I'm going outside of my house. Even that's an added like, oh no, that might be another three days of RUSS that I have to have. But I think I'm getting to the point that I have become so specific about when I schedule hanging out with people or when I want to hang it out with people that it comes to I'm like, yeah, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I already saw another person. I can't see you type of thing, And I don't know if that's healthy or unhealthy.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I think it can be healthy.
Speaker 4: But I also think like, sometimes sometimes you might feel, oh, okay, I can handle like you don't want to get too trapped in your rules.
Speaker 2: And I say that as someone who does that all the time.
Speaker 4: So I think that there has to be space for recognizing this is a good role. I put it in place for a reason, but sometimes it might change, and that's our.
Speaker 3: Of course, I will always be very like decided the day of, But that also means that if I have decided this, and even if I've scheduled two weeks in advance and it's coming up on it and I'm like I don't want to do it, I will quickly cancel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny because you and I have such like opposite. I used to have a rule that I couldn't This is how much I've changed though. I used to have a rule that I couldn't hang out with three people in one day because the third person always got screwed because I would get delayed a little bit because I'd hang out longer than I thought, be late to the second person, and then get delayed more, and then by the time I got to the third first, I just felt bad. I'm like, this seems I should respect your time more than this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: With that usual respecting time, I have gotten to the point that I have become the person that comes early to things too early, like ten minutes too early. And I'm like, I never was that person because because I am so literal that I'm like, oh, we're meeting at one, I will pull up at one like and I'm like, that's not really that's not really respectful because I'm going to see you at one oh five because parking is going to take five to ten minutes, but I plan it specific to when I arrive. But now it's changed so much in my head that I've become the person that has I don't know if it's the anxiety. And now I do think, Okay, there's parking, that could be traffic, I might have to pay anything, I have to go find you where if I get lost here that I have actually like become the person that is ten minutes early, And I.
Speaker 1: Don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 3: Is that like being responsible or is that just me being like I'm tired, I want to get this over with.
Speaker 4: I think you're being I think you know you acknowledge that parking.
Speaker 2: Look, you don't want to get me starting on parking. It's one of the reasons I hate driving, and I don't.
Speaker 4: Do it anymore, But you acknowledge, like there can be those things that come up, and I think it's fair that, like, sometimes things are just out of your control. But sometimes I do get annoyed when a friend will like every time be like, oh there was traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So.
Speaker 4: I don't think I don't think that's bad. I will say that ten minutes is good. But I have some friends who show up like way too early, and that annoys me because I was planning on using that time to clean or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think there is a balance.
Speaker 3: It's a balance I know, like I have friends who set up a time and they're uh, and the Latino and they're like, no, I'm meant for you to do this on Puerto Rican time, which is thirty minutes later, if not two hours.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I get that. I get that.
Speaker 3: But so people who were on time are super early essential. Right, all that to say, but what about you? What's going on with you? How is the end of this month? So far this year? You have been super busy this month.
Speaker 4: I have been really busy, and I'm actually working really hard on fixing it because it got out of control. It really got out of hand, and like I felt like I was drowning working all the time, and I had all this like fun stuff that I was doing, but it was like way too much. So I'm trying to get better about that and about managing I might come back and do like a mini or a happy hour on this, but it's kind of the dark side of not being able to procrastinate. I'm trying to get better about like, you don't have to do this right now right.
Speaker 1: Now, get me to teach you.
Speaker 4: Maybe we should, we should have a session. But yeah, I have tried to be just because I realized, like I was getting so stressed out and I was just like randomly crying just out of nowhere. I was like, You've got to do something. This is this is not sustainable, this is not good. So that's why I mentioned I've been trying to go on like more walks, and I've been trying to like stretch and just take back some.
Speaker 2: Of that time. And I feel like it's been good.
Speaker 4: I feel I haven't there hasn't been like any noticeable shift yet, but I feel like I'm on the precipice of it, you know what I mean, Like, Okay, yeah, it hasn't happened yet, but I'm taking these steps and I feel good about them.
Speaker 3: I feel like this month again, you've got cram full of like special requests, although we are coming upon women's history months, so I'm not sure. And because we are a feminist show, we do get asked something.
Speaker 1: But last year we got asked for nothing, so that was odd.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things sometimes this happens where I'm like both relieved in a little.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 3: I do find all of that funny because I'm like, well, I do want to do more things so we can get our names out there and just remind people we were still here. But at the same time, I don't want the extra work. It's extra anxiety of working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly, just why.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we've been told we haven't been asked to do anything. I don't even think we have like special sponsorships.
Speaker 1: Even we got like.
Speaker 4: A random message that we might be asked and then that was the end of that.
Speaker 2: So far, I love.
Speaker 3: That is the entirety of our job, just to peak behind the curtains. We don't know what's happening until write when it happens, and then you're like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, And that is part of the problem.
Speaker 4: It's like, again, it's beautiful and wonderful that we get to work from home and we have these flexible schedules, but it does mean it can be very difficult to plan your schedule in a way where you don't feel like you're drowning suddenly, right, So I think that that is one of the things that play here. I'm also in the midst of renegotiating my contract, so that's been a whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just these things that you can't necessarily anticipate or plan around.
Speaker 2: And I'm trying to manage those things better.
Speaker 3: Well, Like our show is so different when it's because we are of like five days, six days a week, constant new episodes except for one show. And then on top of that, like we get when we get asked to do things here or there, we it feels like we have to either drop everything or push everything around in order to get that done for us to have enough episodes to make sure we get it on timed enough content. So you know, we've talked about this before, like the amount of research and the fact that we do fun things, but it's still a job.
Speaker 1: When it becomes a.
Speaker 3: Job, becomes a job we talk about when we watch movies, it seems so easy and again we are very privileged, and I feel like this is an amazing step up in less stress than when I was in social work, but knowing that we constantly have to be on the lookout for subjects or topics or any of the such, constantly watch the news. I remember Caroline former hosts recently when we talked about like when she stopped podcasting, and she was like, you know, I love the one part I love is that I don't have to keep up with what's going on and why the world is burning anymore? And I don't have to look at it and pay attention to me as much. Of course, she pays attention and is very aware of things. But the fact that we have to be in the middle of it, constantly looking at it, constantly writing about it, constantly researching it. It's stressful, especially when we again feel like the world is burning, especially when we live in the South, the Southeast specifically, and see things happening that seems so out of our can control because of the powers that are currently in place. So so many of those things, you know, And it's interesting because again, we love our jobs. This is amazing, This is being able to work from home, Like right now, I'm definitely my pajamas, don't worry about it. Do I have any makeup on? No?
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 3: Is my desk surrounded by a little kitchen things that both Annie and my partner have given me.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I love this.
Speaker 3: But there's so much to this where we are trying to produce enough content and relevant content, but it does become a little tiring, and then on top of that, trying to publicize that we exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had this conversation with somebody the other day where.
Speaker 2: It's hard to describe.
Speaker 4: Sometimes if you haven't done it, but there is an energy dream just from like oh I should post on social media, or oh I should do this, which we stop doing on social media by the way, but somebody had said, like, you should post on social media more, and I was like, I do not have the brandwidth to do that right now, Like I know that I should if I as part of our I personally am not on social media, so I don't care, but as part of our brand, like it would be good, yeah thing to do we do like connecting with you listeners, but I just can't do it. That's just something I had to come to terms with. And sometimes I'm sad about that because sometimes I'm like, oh, that would have been a really fun post.
Speaker 1: Well, I take that all.
Speaker 3: The time, and honestly, we have an amazing team that does take up a chunk of that, but they're also very busy and stretched pretty thin, mainly because of the fact that again, we are a business. We are a corporation, a multi million dollar corporation that wants to save money and oftentimes does that by stching their workers. Then again, but with that, like we we think. We are so grateful to have that as our solid ground who keeps us going make sure that we have enough content. And the age differences I noticed this in our staff meeting is quite a delight because you do have different perspectives of what is relevant and what you should talk about this. And I was like, huh, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I love when we like pitch a topic and everybody has a completely different point that they're coming from about it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I didn't mean that.
Speaker 3: So we definitely had moments that were like, oh, that's oh, okay, yeah, cool, cool, cool. But yeah, we do find that fascinating, uh, and also amazing that we have such an amazing team. Uh. We've got Joey and Christina and Maya who really just keeps us in check as well as sounding professional.
Speaker 1: Thank you desperately.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think this month it's been interesting, and now that we've got an extra day, I'm like, okay, which this is the last day of Black History Month, obviously, so at the end of this I'm gonna take a couple of SIPs of the Uncle Nearest Whiskeys, which still is my favorite to celebrate this month. Again, I could if I were drinking, that would be what I would have, some type of cocktail, but not work. I have now found my boundaries. If this was the end episode, I would I would be but it's not. But with that happy end of February, everyone, Happy Leap Day apparently according to thirty where you're supposed to be wearing blue and yellow or you get a wedgie.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen that episode?
Speaker 2: You've never seen so sure I have, but I don't believe all.
Speaker 3: That day episode Leap Day Williams and they give away candy to all the kids that are crying or something. It's very odd and they say nothing thing counts on the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, like because it's not a real.
Speaker 3: Day, so you can do whatever you want. But yeah, this is that's the Leap Day. So happy Leap Day to everyone listening day on the twenty ninth of February twenty twenty four. Thank you for listening and sticking around and loving us.
Speaker 4: I hope, yes, yes, yeah, we appreciate you so much. So I hope every time we do these episodes that it doesn't sound like we're just complaining, because we do would enjoy what we do. But also everything comes with your pros and your crowns. Yeah, and this has been a very very busy month, but yeah, hopefully it's going well for you listeners. If you have any Leap Day traditions.
Speaker 1: Yes, I need to know.
Speaker 2: Isn't there there's a romantic one?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there is is Amy? Uh yeah, what's her name?
Speaker 2: Adams?
Speaker 3: Amy Adams of say Amy Fisher is wrong with me?
Speaker 2: It's a Leap Day America Live.
Speaker 3: I am like not doing well in like association name association game anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, if you have any traditions like that or not like that, listeners, please write in and let us know. You can contact us at Stuff Media, mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff whenever told you.
Speaker 2: We do check it. I promise, we just don't post that much.
Speaker 4: We have a tea public store and we have a book that you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks, as always, Yes to our super producer Christina, executive ducer Maya, and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 1: Y'all are the best.
Speaker 4: We love you, we do yes, and thanks to you for listening stuff I never told yous production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts on my heart Radio, you can check out the art Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.