Speaker 1: A League fifteen to ten touchdown.
Speaker 2: Er.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're tired? We're not tired.
Speaker 3: Day three at the Combine Charges Weekly, your third podcast of the week has always joined by bat Money, Smith and Budding.
Speaker 1: Another gym of a pod coming up. Yeah, and we're gonna have a pod tomorrow, so uh, breaking pot, We're gonna kept doing four. We got a lot of friends here at the Combine and they're all being very generous with their time, so we're gonna we're gonna take advantage of that. If they're good good with us, then we're good with them. And we're very excited about pushing forward. Today two of our absolute favorites. We start with Date Tyson and Mina Chimes today and then tomorrow we'll get our friend Brett Coleman, who does a lot of work with the Chargers, and Matt Miller, who of course is doing a ton of stuff as a draft scout for ESPN. But today, like for people that aren't familiar with Nate, I hope you are, because he does incredible work over at the Athletic somewhat played at Wisconsin in the Big Ten. Of course, his father, Mike Tys, longtime one of the best o line coaches in the history of the league. And you know, a great head coach while he was doing it for a while as well. And Nate's just got an incredible eye for talent, breaking down film and making it digestible for people that might not be used to stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously Mina coming in here. She's here with Nflive for the next couple of days. It was just a fantastic conversation with her as well. We'll start with Nate though, and you know you may see a resemblance, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll put a little we'll plan a little seed for you, so you may want to make sure if you're just doing this audio only to work your way over to the YouTube production or Chargers dot com where we have the video posted as well. Potentil resemblance. We'll see if you see it.
Speaker 3: Here's Nate, all right, let's keep it rolling with another great guess, Nate Tice. The Athletic joins us and Nate. This has been so fun for us because we typically do this podcast just me and money yapping about the Chargers. We get to pick the brain of so many intelligent people in the world of smarter than us. And and Nate is certainly up there. Uh tell me what this week is like for you, man?
Speaker 2: Oh long, No, it's it's good. It's for me.
Speaker 4: It's you know, getting in we have to get in pretty early in the week. But it's this week is always interesting because I always like, all right, these guys aren't working out till late in the week. But then you forget about the people business part of this. Yes, it's the it's the convention. It's the convention for football. So it's great to see a lot of friends and all that, but also just like, hey, I like this guy.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: It actually like getting the talk of a off record on that stuff. So for me that becomes really rewarding. But a lot of my work comes from just watching film anyways, so it's got a it's kind of a give and take of that like that. It's a different h I'm scratching than what I usually do when I'm layered up in my office, and.
Speaker 2: My sweach actually the same switch at least I shaved always. I shaved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little scratched, Yeah, that's it, a little scraggly beer than normal.
Speaker 1: But no, it's been going great. I will just I want to get this out of the way immediately. This is the first time that I think we've ever met. I feel like it might be, but I've always heard that that Nate does have a wrong resemblance to a certain number ten that plays for the Chargers. So for the people that might be listening, I'm sure you get it, but he does have a bit of a resemblance to our Justin Herbert, some of the folks that just jo this is actually just exactly, but we're just gonna talk.
Speaker 2: About scout offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that.
Speaker 4: I've gotten Stafford before and that was that's a scraggly beard and all that, and maybe I had a little bit of a gowls going on, so it like that. That was just a I'm I'm gett compared to quarterbacks again, because what I got I got really big for a little bit. And everyone's like, so you used to play line, right, and I'm like that was a I was a quarterback.
Speaker 2: It was like, that's I gotta start hiking or doing.
Speaker 4: Some cars, because let's get receiver and quarterback comparisons again, not left tackle or right tackle.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about protecting you. Justin Herbert, you obviously do a lot of o line work. The podcasts are great you do with Robert and obviously everything that you guys are doing over the athletic but a lot of people are pointing to offensive you know, line, center, guard, tackle, everything for this particular new coaching regime. What you watch it at Michigan, the way that they want to play, the way that Harball wants to play. How does this class stack up? And let's say you either stick at five or you're able to trade down, what would you be looking to do there?
Speaker 4: I love the trade down option for them because I do think the Chargers have several holes or several and it's a great opportunity to in this draft because I do think these positions there, even if moving down slightly, you can still find a blue chip type of prospect at tackle or I know a lot of fans are saying receiver, but it's but at the tackle position because there are the old Fashanres from Penn State, Joel from Notre Dame, jac Latham from Alabama, Amarius Mims from Georgia, who I'm really high on, even though he's only played a limited snaps. But when you watch Harbaugh, even Stamford, even San Francisco forty nine ers, and then now Michigan is he's building through the trenches. That's what he's gonna do. He wants beef, he wants he wants to run the ball and commit to that and also protect the quarterback. How did Justin Herbert? How did I get hurt last year? You know as I know that, And so let's keep him up right and let's let him play all seventeen games. So that's where I see that option is perfect here because I consider Fashanu and all as true blue chip top ten type guys, and honestly, I consider Latham and Mims even close to that. So even if there's a trade down option as well, going into the whole left tackle right tackle thing, Slater played right side in college a little bit, so like if you do want to move a former all pro over to the right side, there's that, But I just think it's like, just get your best five out there, and if you draft a guy that was on the left side and he has to play the right side, you have six months to train that.
Speaker 2: If they're a good enough athlete, it should work.
Speaker 4: So I think there's sometimes it's like, oh, we just got to get beef here this year. It's actually there's premium beef.
Speaker 1: There's choice the choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's choice stuff this year. And that's why I think they're actually can set up pretty well.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: We talked to Lanzerline yesterday about just the top four tackles in this draft and how it's kind of like, whatever your flavor is based on what the Chargers have, and let's say you just stick with Rashawan on the left side, what do you think makes the most sense with what Jim and company like to do offensively?
Speaker 2: Man, I think Fashanu because of his size.
Speaker 4: He's a little thicker, but all the Joe All from Notre Dame has some good movement skills.
Speaker 2: He's a former tight end and everything.
Speaker 4: But his flavor is a little different than me than what Harball would like because he is more of a finesse tackle, yeah, and a very good pass protection, more of a zone blocker as opposed to I think Harballs are on a gap scheme, a lot of at you runs, So I think a little more physical, a little bit more sized like Fashanu or even Latham from Alabama who's literally built like a globe. I'm really excited to watch him this week because he's big and he doesn't look like a tackle because of his body type, but he moves really well. So it's and he plays on the right side, and so that's a natural transition thing that makes sense, and same with Mims from Georgia plays on the right side. Mims is an absolute freak. You'll never see a more impressive offensive tackle prospect.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have reps right, that's.
Speaker 4: Eight starts, nine starts. He's almost like an NBA prospect that was like, you know, Kyrie Irving was a.
Speaker 2: Number one pick.
Speaker 4: He played like eleven games, or like a European prospect we've barely seen that's what he wore is like and usually don't get that attackle. Usually it's a guy that started for thirty games and all that. So he's just such a different type than we ever seen. But his upside is probably as it might be higher than any of these others.
Speaker 1: But do you say different type, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Just an all world freak but also frickish athlete, but also just the lack of starts.
Speaker 1: It's usually all I got you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you don't usually see a tackle draft of this high that only has eight games played, nine games played. Like usually these guys, like I said, this has more experienced, so you don't usually if that guy has a lunits starts their third round guy, fourth round type of guy, not a potential top twelve guy. But I think Mims has that potential. And he played on the right side too, so that there's a little baffo match with the Chargers.
Speaker 1: It's funny, like the one name he didn't mention, I'm trying to remember who was that came on first. It's just it's for some reason offensive line is so different than everywhere else where. Somebody has you know, for Lance it was was Latham. Who was it that had Fuaga? They were like, the right tackle, it's over, you run the ball violent.
Speaker 4: I'm a little I like Fuaga and I have a more of a late first round grade on him, like it's splitting hairs, but you know, just like but compared to other guys, maybe a half tier his past protect and stuff. I think that he still has work to do. I know a lot of people like his run ability, his ability in a run game. I'm not as high as others on that. I think some people see some finishing that he does well and he goes, oh, he's great in the run game.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like not as much as maybe I thought, but he's still great, A very good prospect, I should say, also play on the right side as well. But he to me is really more five maybe even six. Because then you get font New, the left tackle from Washington, who I would give a shot to play the right side on the right tackle. I think he actually has a good movement ability. He just doesn't look like a tackle. He's like six to four. He knows a little shorter, you know, but he's really he's a technician. He's strong, he's got good feet, or bump him into inside to guard. I know a lot of people like my guard, but I'd still give him shot a tackle. I like him a little bit more than Fuaga. But that again, we're gone onto six guys that are all legit top twenty guys to me, and then there's cool kind of project he type guys like Tyler Geyton from Oklahoma. And then so you're getting into that way and right tackle see him from BYU. That's another kind of interesting like a big freak, too freak, a huge five star prospect, all that stuff. Yeah, he was an organ guy went to BYU very freaking another guy that doesn't have a lot of tape. You know he does, but not as much as some of these other guys. But then those guys sometimes I've seen other drafts, those guys are being like tackle two because there's not this much talent. But here those guys are seven eight like and that's that's an interesting tackle class.
Speaker 3: It's interesting too because we don't know the true opinions of these front offices. And we'll start a quarterback because you just did an article on Jay Danielson and I think that you push that right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, popular guy around Washington. Fans are really happy.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: So the consensus, it seems like, oh, three quarterbacks is gonna go one, two, three, So with the Chargers are hoping, I'm sure, is that there's a a fourth quarterback or one of these three fall to five. How much do you think can change here from the combine to draft day with these quarterbacks and kind of how that first five chase out.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the interview process is just so huge. You're finally getting these guys in front decision makers. They can try and rattle them if they have scripted the answers, Hey, you sucked on this play? How just really push them and see it.
Speaker 2: Is this our guy?
Speaker 4: So I think there's some confirmation bias where you guys are gonna go I already like this guy now I love him or I didn't like that guy he had that one wrong answer interview. I hate him off the board, and that's what it's kind of like that ramps up. So I think just seeing people like Daniels, which again.
Speaker 2: As chargers, it's like that's good.
Speaker 4: You want to yeah, yes, yes, Marvin Harrison Junior too, yeh yeah, yeah yeah yeah, build it up.
Speaker 2: But like that to me, I have May Williams, Trick May and kill Williams.
Speaker 4: Graded very highly, and you have May higher than Caleb. Yes it's one A, one B, but I do prefer May a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I in ten years of like officially scouted guys doing the process, I do now like it's Trevor May and Williams in some shape or form or the top three guy Trevor Lawrence are the top three guys I've ever scouted. I just I truly believe that I think Danils is a full tier below where he's more.
Speaker 2: Of like a late first rounder.
Speaker 4: So like, this is why Washington fans aren't happy with me right now because another and Patriot fans are going like, no, this is our guy, right And I kind of threw some cold water that with my article. But having said that that's me, there might be teams. I mean, Bill Belichick just came out. I know he's not with a team right now, but he came out and was just like, oh Daniels always so explosive all this that you don't know what these guys are gonna prefer.
Speaker 3: What was he before the season, like fourth fourth rounder?
Speaker 2: And I liked him. It's just that he has a lot of sizes.
Speaker 4: The number one thing he doesn't work over the middle, which is always a huge red alert for me. The comparison I've started making is that that's like a basketball player that doesn't shoot threes. You've better be awesome at other things you might. You must have a great arm outside, you must create a lot. He does create a lot. But the guys that I've the statistical profile that I've looked at and just watching on the tape to how he attacks, he plays a lot like Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, even Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson has fallen off a cliff as his death, Listen has kind of dwindled. Jalen Hurts stopped running the ball last year and his the off kind of fell apart. And Justin Fields still has issues throwing the ball in the middle and Fields those guys are all I mean, Russ is two fifteen, Justin Fields is two thirty, Hurts is two thirty. Those are big guys. Daniels is two hundred pounds. Maybe yeah, like you know, you give it, take five, give or take five pounds. It's just there's not a lot of historical kind of data to point that this succeeds. Right, the only of the guys under two o five they've succeeded since two thousand modern football, it's Kirk Cousins, one year of Aaron Brooks, and one year of Jeff Garcia. It's like, so, and that's a fourth round pick, fourth round pick on drafted free agent they played in Canada. Not a top three guy, And so to me that's red alert. Red or alert still have a late first rounder because the guy can run.
Speaker 2: A form of three to eight or whatever.
Speaker 4: But there's just a lot more detriments to him that I think people have kind of expounded.
Speaker 1: On when you say the middle, like that's where JJ McCarthy excels, and why they think this is going to be a really good week for him the interview process. Could you see him being a top five pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say top ten even again, I have n't graded closer to Daniels, more like an early second, late first kind guy. But teams from certain offenses are gonna love him, teams being from the Shanahan.
Speaker 1: Offenses, so Atlanta, Minnesota and.
Speaker 4: Minnesota Raiders because what they're new with gets he has some background of that as well. I don't think people are saying Broncos with him. This is not a Sean Payton guy to me. May is a Sean Payton guide to me. That So that's where I don't see them. But that's where we just saw four teams, three teams right there, all in striking distance of that. So McCarthy rips them all over the middle. He throws really well on the move. But again I just brought the side stuff that applies to McCarthy as well. He's one ninety five one and he might wait two of five this week. But that's combine. Wait, that's another thing I have to bring up as a historical outlier. But he doing that stuff for the mill, doing that stuff throwing on the move. Daniels looks to scramble, or when he breaks contained, he looks to scramble. McCarthy breaks containing, he looks to throw. That is more realistic in the NFL. So that's why I think some teams watch them and go, oh yeah, yeah that. I like that translating better.
Speaker 3: Date, if we said Michael had a clean injury history like he was, he was good to go, right, where would he be in this draft if he didn't have all the injury history.
Speaker 4: I still have like more of a third round great early okay, yeah yeah, and again thrown over the middle of stuff. I know I'm just being a dead horse here, but it's true. It's like this is what works in the NFL. So he's not very efficient. He doesn't really throw with that anticipation putting an arm zip. He likes to work on the outside, and when you don't have three potential top fifty wide receivers makes me a little hesitant. Like how that translates. They gave him no kind of pre snap operation stuff For a guy that started fifty games you'll play all that time. That worries me a little bit too. It's like, Okay, they didn't put a lot on his plate. You watched justin this last year. You watch myself in this last year. Watch watch how much Kellen Moore put on his plate, and he's checking all that stuff that's real And I never really saw that with him, some of the pre snap process stuff. I thought he kind of got away with that. So I still have more like a third round grade and then to get into the three stuff like that. So that's that's a little hurts too.
Speaker 1: So you're certainly familiar with teams in the middle of the country, and I think of runners, and it feels like there's some good runners coming out of the Big ten. Ackler's free agent, Joshua Kelly's free agent. We have no idea Isaiah Spiller was a healthy scratch or a number of number of games. Just your thoughts on the running backs and if you can think of one that would pair really well with with this coaching staff, give us someone from the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, my two guys.
Speaker 4: I really like Brylon Allen from Wisconsin, who I have a little bias to yeah, Odrick Estimate from nor Day and this running back class, I think because we got spoiled last year with Jean and Jamier Gibbs. Even myself, I was like, oh, that's not a good running back class.
Speaker 2: That's whatever. Yeah, I study of these guys.
Speaker 4: I got okay, actually hold on sech Actually you know there's some guys I taking the second round. Now, those two to me fit what Harball wants. Big guys catch a little bit, but they can run every type of run. Estimates got juice at two hundred and thirty pounds. He can take any run to the house. He is a big back that's a little more finesse though more of a zone guy outside cut and then go. I think Allen's got a little bit of everything, but he's gonna be a little bit slower.
Speaker 2: I wait for him.
Speaker 4: Is gonna be interesting to see two. But those two they match what I think what Harble wants. And I would assume Blake korm is automatically.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be considered. Korme's got so much tread on his tires and everything like that.
Speaker 4: I love korm as like a real high end two like you know, like the third down back. Hey, he's gonna get eight to ten touches, but you know, like to spell the classics, you know, spell back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jordan Reid of ESPN told us that Alan and Jim Harball are a match made in heaven.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 4: It makes so much sense to two hundred and forty pounds back that can run everything. And it's like, and he can take twenty plus touches if they want to roll that way.
Speaker 2: Those two make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: What about interior line, Yeah, it seems like again we're hearing a lot of you know, Midwest Big ten, a lot of good interior state. Yeah, there's Powers Johnson. There's an Oregon.
Speaker 2: Guy as well. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Powers Johnson has kind of gotten a lot of pub He's such an exciting prospect. You don't see a lot of three hundred and twenty pounds centers that move like that. I think he can play guard as well. He's kind of a wild horse, though his hands are all over the place, like he's gonna be more of a His acclamation to the NFL is gonna be a little harder. I think his upside high upside. You could have as a center. I think he's gonna take a minute to get to there. He's new to the center position. That's a lot on a guy. Having said that, Graham Barton from Duke, I really.
Speaker 1: Like, could he play like every position?
Speaker 2: He can? He plays tackle.
Speaker 4: I think he's gonna be interior guy, but I think he can be. He could put legit thing. I think he can play four spots like where he can like, hey, after I play right tackle, I can play that for a game or two like that. But that's huge. Versatility is huge. And then there's Zach Frazier from West Virginia. And this is why, even if I really like his tape, what this is all about frastility, He's a center only just because of size and length and all that. So that's why maybe I have him as a third guy. But that having said that, that's three center types that I consider late first rounders. That's more than we usually maybe have one. Yeah, so that there's some legit. I really like Barden for the Chargers though, I really if he's there early second or thing or you do move back stuff because of just of his versatility, just because he could play center and he has experienced at that.
Speaker 2: He's smart.
Speaker 4: I always love that quarterback to center. Hey, we're gonna build together for ten years kind of thing, and you'll build that battery a little bit.
Speaker 3: My last question, and I'm gonna address you as the franchise quarterback justin we have to pick it five. We have no trade options. Who are we taking It's it's up to you. It's up to you.
Speaker 4: I would say that guy from Penn State coach, I know you have a lot of experience with him, you're playing against him in the Big Ten. But Old for Shanhu is the one Fashu. I would say, Forsan Fashu. Uh, He to me is just I just he does so much wrong.
Speaker 2: But you say, I feel like he just got his name wrong. That just gets his name wrong. No, yeah, yeah, I'll what it was right, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: But for Penn State, it's just I think he has a lot of traits that you want at the tackle position. It's just just the movement skills at that size still has room to grow. He had one real bad game against a Hiose State that maybe go, but then all those other tapes really good. I think if some of his people were saying that he's not good in the run game, I actually think he's very good in the run game.
Speaker 2: I think he finishes. I think he's got good techniques.
Speaker 4: But he's the guy to me that's like, that's a franchise tackle at left right.
Speaker 3: Justin we can get them eleak neighbors too, just just I think about it.
Speaker 2: I just it's had on a hat for me.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 4: And also, if you're starting from its inside out, team building should always be inside out. I always look at receivers as the cherry on top. That's the hey that puts us over the top, that race by the ceiling. I think the Chargers in this weird it's so crazy in a twelve month span, they've gone from like we need the cherries on top to now I think we're rebuilding from the ground four up.
Speaker 2: So that's why inside out for them.
Speaker 1: So I'll finish with the least intriguing question from the folks that are listening, and that's linebacker. But I think about what happened to Baltimore when they traded for Rokland Smith and how different that became for the Ravens and Kenneth Murray. Gone probably likely that Eric Kendrick's at least very real possibility he's cut candidate because of the cap compliance that they've got to figure out. So they got nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there's and there's not a lot of linebackers in this draft.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 4: I think my highest guy was the linebacker from Michigan and Colson Colson, thank you almost called him. I was call him the running back almost had corum uh junior. Colson very smart, very doesn't have a high end ceiling. I think he's a limited athlete and everything. But I compare a little.
Speaker 2: Bit to Nick Bolton from the Chiefs like that, Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: We know that we know Nick Bolton.
Speaker 4: Well three downs and can do everything very well, gets everybody set and then that they have experienced with him. And I think the defensive coordinator, like with all the free will and stuff, he handles all that really well.
Speaker 2: He to me in the second round is actually like the one guy. I kind of like that.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty pretty dire linebacker class.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Well, be sure to uh listen to all the pods, read all the articles. Uh, Nate underscore tice is the social media feed that you can get all the links. I would assume we know you're busy, Nate. Thanks man much appreciate it. Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Nate.
Speaker 3: Yep, another big time guess me and a kinds VSBN joins us and me.
Speaker 1: You just got in town.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, yesterday, Yes, how has it been so far?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm still on West Coast time, but excited to be here, excited to see some of these d linemen run.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorite things in the combine.
Speaker 6: It's one of the things where like you actually do get a lot out of being there in person and just seeing like I never I'll never forget seeing Jordan Davis run in person and just wow that Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was for me. That was Don Perry Poe.
Speaker 5: Oh god, yes, back in.
Speaker 1: The days when we were on the field and you know we had heard oh yeah, this guy's pretty big, he's gonna run fast, and like you said, when you see it firsthand, it is it is odd to see a man that large move like that, and you.
Speaker 5: See why it's so seductive.
Speaker 1: Yes, and sweat this year.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he's been hyping it too, which I love.
Speaker 1: Yes, you gotta be careful with those. I never remember the guy's name, but there was a wide receiver out of Mississippi State and I you know, we used to do the stream, which I know exactly. Do you remember who it was what his name was, and he had it was like the perfect name because the name had like speed in it or fast or something like that. And Ike Taylor was like and you know he's the best, and he's just like, oh, hold on, everyone, now we gotta we gotta wait. This guy's about to light this place on fire. And the guy ran like a four and so hopefully sweat will uh will overcome the announcers. We're gonna get exactly exactly, so you're here watching d Lineman. We'll get quarterbacks. Let's start there, Mina, because you obviously know the quarterbacks. What do you think is it? Is it three? Is it four? Is it top five? Is it top ten? How do you see it working?
Speaker 6: I mean, it seems like four will likely go on the top half of the draft, which it's been a rapidly expanding number, as you know, started as two, then it was three, then it was three, going on the top four, top three.
Speaker 5: Now it's guys rising.
Speaker 6: But this happens every year, so you gotta kind of wait and see a thing shake out. There's also I think before I have a good sense of where the quarterbacks might go, particularly after the first three. You got to see how things shake out in free agency. Kirk Cousins some of the smoke around justin fields Chicago obviously, but yeah, there's certainly a lot of hype around these quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: So hardball comes in and it's just a whole new vibe inga they have to build this thing differently. There's a lot of positions that I think depth leaves a little bit to be desired. Where do you start when you look at this roster?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was just looking at the team sort of the depth start, trying to kind of assess the needs ahead of the draft, especially with such a premium pick, and I came out of it thinking I want to trade down and stock up. You know, kind of depends on what people want for five. You see, if you can get something, get a nice hal for that. But there's a lot of needs offensive line, defensive, both sides of the ball. In the trenches, I would say, cornerback, jumps out, tight end.
Speaker 5: I'm like naming every position. Yeah, I would tell you that's probably what I would prioritize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you so, you know, like people that listen and watch they they are a little more adverse to the idea of investing a bunch of high picks and lines. They don't quite understand that idea, so they get excited about shiny objects and wide receivers and tight ends. I'm assuming you've you've watched some some rock Powers. Kind of your thoughts on on what he brings and like what would be because i know, like DJ wrote, gosh, the idea of brock Powers on the Bengals is so exciting. You're just kind of your thoughts of, yeah, what you would invest in him and where you'd like to see.
Speaker 6: Really fascinating prospect because of the position more so than the player, because the player is very, very good, very complete. I don't tell you guys that I'm probably one of the more watched prospects in the draft because of the big games that he's played in. But just you know, he's an offensive weapon with balls, hands, amazing catch radius, the size of Mars, the sophisticated route runner, really smart player, decent blocker, will probably get better in the NFL. But is that a position that you can spend a top five pick on. I think that's an open question. And when people say, well, I don't understand, like, you know, why does that even matter if he's an offensive weapon?
Speaker 5: Well, because I mean you have picks like that.
Speaker 6: It's not only about the player, obviously you guys know this, but about the value, because the opportunity to get a premium position at a great value is very tantalizing. Also, I would say it is about the position in particular in the specific because tight ends historically have taken a while to kind of develop in the NFL, and I'm curious to see if the success of Sam Laporta and Detroit right off the jump maybe helped a second round pick who is not as good a prospect as Bowers, if that actually helps his draft stock. It really just kind of depends on, to me, at least, what your needs are, how many of those needs you have. And I think that's where things get tricky for LA because, as we just talked about, as a.
Speaker 3: Lot of needs, the three wide receivers at the top, how closely do you have those guys? Obviously MARVISA Harrison seems to be the consensus, but yeah, Rome and neighbors kind of nipping at his heels there.
Speaker 6: They're fantastic And I do view it as like a clear top three. I'm a Huskies fan, so I love do.
Speaker 5: Say so he's so cool because I watch.
Speaker 6: Him and I just think there's no way he can fail in the NFL. Like to me, he has his floor is just so high. He's so complete, he's going to be a quarterback's best friend. But I would still have him as wide receiver three just because explosiveness is such a premium.
Speaker 5: Neighbors with the ball in his hands is so.
Speaker 6: Just unbelievable, and you know, watching LSU is crazy. But when I had time to kind of go back and watch the tape, I was reminded, don't overthink Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's just.
Speaker 6: I don't feel like it's extreme to say he's about as good as wide red receiver prospect as I've ever seen, And unlike those other two receivers, was thrown some pretty difficult.
Speaker 5: Walls, so you know, he's a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Batball catcher battle.
Speaker 5: Tested in that regard, I suppose.
Speaker 6: I mean, because yeah, Jane Daniels and Michael Pennix are just throwing these beautiful pearls to their guys, and Harrison Junior was tracking down some real, real ducks out there.
Speaker 5: So he's a really cool player.
Speaker 1: It's we've been talking about it quite a bit, just because a lot of mock drafts have have mocked either neighbors or don say to the Chargers, and really, you know, you mentioned it. I don't think people realize like what Rome is going to do here, like what the combine is going to look like for him, just because it's hard when you watch football on TV to realize how big somebody is, especially when they're surrounded by other very large individuals in a huddle and there's offensive linemen and there's tight ends, and you don't you don't recognize that, Yeah, Rome Duday's a legit six to two. He's a legit two hundred and fifteen pounds, and he's probably gonna run sub for four. Like he's really special. He's crazy like and it's just so fun. I think that gets lost in translation when you're watching this on TV.
Speaker 6: And that's what so unusual about not just this top three, but I would say like the top eight receivers in this classes, Like we're coming off of so many years where you have the guy, you know, there are a lot of undersized receivers. The receivers who were like big but maybe not as fast. You have so many like true X receivers in this draft. It's pretty unprecedented, frankly. But for the Chargers, you know, when you consider again the needs and the roster, and also I think the identity of the coach, Greg Roman coming in what they imagine they want to do on offense, I'm not sure it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked about the defensive line, and right now as we talk, it's kind of a mystery as of what's gonna happen with Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. There's a lot of needs at defensive tackle. You know, we've talked about Chris Jenkins. Maybe maybe he's a second or third round pick that the Chargers identify. How do you assess what the Chargers defense is going to look like and kind of what jesse Minzer can can work with up front?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love watching jesse Mincher's defense. Uh, Brothers, I was so excited for my Seahawks to have Mike McDonald as their head coach. You know, obviously the shared DNA there. I think watching those defenses, the things that there's a lot of types of players that jumps out, jump out, pardon me, off ball linebacker. Athleticism is really important as well as smarts because it's it's a very complicated defense up front. I think that there are players on the Chargers already who I see fitting in well, tou Lee, who's obviously so good as a rookie. I'm excited to see, like what James what what this defense can do for him? For example, Again, give the amount of disguise they employ on the back end, but.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of holes that have to be filled.
Speaker 6: And I do think that that's, you know, outside of the offensive line, is probably what I would prioritize.
Speaker 1: What uh, because I think the Seahawks are probably going to go through it to a team, you know, intimately. But the idea of a band aid off and just saying, okay, well, Khalil, Joey, Mike, you know, let's we need to reset. These guys are great at developing. Let's let's develop some in players. Versus what if the coaches came to you and said, hey, give us a shot. I know it's not the best idea, but let's let's push some of this, give us a shot. With Joey Khalil, Mike, would you does that make any sense to you? With the cap going up? If if Jesse Minter came and said, no, I need two edges I need I think we need these guys, can we make it work?
Speaker 5: It would be tricky, I think honestly.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess it's you know, you're really you're kind of looking at four players, the receivers in the edges, you know, you guys in conjunction with each other, and seeing if, okay, maybe if we choose to make the sacrifice at receiver instead, we can prioritize edge and having a young edge I think maybe helps with two yeah, yeah, potentially move on on that side of the ball. So you're looking at him versus you're looking at like Quentin Johnson, you drafting the first round last year, you say, okay, which of these two players do we think can like take the step to compensate for the loss of the the better it I mean, you know, Mac was fantastic here, so it you know, it's like it's like, oh my god, we're really talking about that, and we see how much better this offense is with Mike Williams. But you know, the previous receime left some pretty hard decisions in place.
Speaker 1: If you could only keep one, who would you keep out of those four Keenan, Mike, Joey Khalil.
Speaker 5: It's really hard.
Speaker 6: Well, I just don't see how this offense can run without Keenan Allen at the moment, so that would probably be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, By the way, I was looking down, d run Ya Wilson to run Ya Wilson.
Speaker 1: There it is four nine man hold on everybody about the light like a Fortnight's what it was.
Speaker 3: Staying with the wide receivers, We've talked about the fact that because Justin Herbert's your quarterback, maybe that second tier of wide receivers like Justin can just elevate that player, whether it's like a Franklin or a Wilson from Michigan. Where do you kind of fall in that, Like you got the blue chip guys the no doubt are slam dunk neighbors Roma Dunza or Hey, we got to address the offensive line early and we can get one of these receivers because it's a deep class.
Speaker 5: Sort of like what the Chiefs just did.
Speaker 6: That's what you're talking about, right, Because after the super rule, people were like oh, did the Chiefs show us that, like wide receiver is not that important? And then obviously there was like it's Patrick Patrick Malmes, but it's also Patrick ma Holmes and Travis Kelsey. And by the way, the young receiver they drafted last year was really good by the end of the season. So I think you can only go so far and not prioritizing that position, because yes, the quarterback can elevate the receiver, but receiver not only you know, they have to do so many things right that it's I don't know, I would not consider that an opportunity to save money just because you got a good quarterback.
Speaker 1: Where do you come out on? And this is something that can be sort of popular in college if they recognize in a conference that their window does not look good at that particular time. It's like, you know what, let's just play for two years down the road, develop and this guy'll be gone and they'll be gone, and that's where we're going to take our window. It's not as prevalent in the in the NFL, but just let's talk both Western divisions NFCAFC, Like what do you think the window is for the forty nine ers and what do you think the window is for the Chiefs, Like, how vulnerable, if at all, do you see those two teams to the three that are behind them to knock them off their perch this season or next.
Speaker 6: I think I see the Niners being more vulnerable to that than the Chiefs. They don't have that many free agents this year, but in twenty twenty five they have a bunch of guys coming up. At some point they're going to have to make a decision about paying the quarterback. Obviously, that's a pretty big advantage for them right now, whereas I mean Kansas City just showed us it doesn't really. I mean, they've had a lot of picks hit on defense, and some of their signings I think have been very astute. It's just was a very well built team last year. But I think when you have the quarterback, you always are competing and your window is never really closed. And then so when we were talking about team like LA, where I think the roster has a lot of issues. You don't punt, you just don't have to, you know, take some pain and eat your vegetables and address maybe un sexy positions and trade down and all those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: We've been talking about.
Speaker 6: But when your quarterback is one of the you know, five to seven best quarterbacks in the NFL, you're always competing, Is it?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Chris? Is that like because as Chargers people, we go into these seasons and we go into this year, and we go into last year, and it's like, Okay, the Chiefs are vulnerable. And I don't feel like that's a bad assessment. It's like, hey, look they got rid of Tyreek Hill. It's just we have Derwin James, focus on Travis Kelcey, and this offense can be had. I just feel like these last two years, we've looked at the AFC, and looked at the Bills, and looked at the Ravens, and looked at what we've had with the Chargers, and I can't figure out why it continues to break the way it does for the Chiefs and they end up just kind of doing what we all think they're not going to be capatable to do this year. Is it as simple as Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 6: You know, it's been different stories different years. I think this year, ultimately, you know, the coach and the quarterback probably the most important thing, but the fact that they did hit on so many of those pieces on defense. You know, we talked about the draft and draft picks acquired and the Tyreek hiltrade that turned into some of the young excellent secondary of Carlosis is really good. But then when you look at some of the free agent signings they made, justin Reid for example, Ja Tranquil was really good for them, right, and you see, and I think coaching also factors into that as well. Having a defensive coordinator who's like probably should be a head coach and has been your defensive coordinator and has developed these young players is also a massive edge. They have so much continuity, you know there on that side of the ball. But yeah, I think it's it's just a very well constructed roster. And then it helps, of course that you have, you know, two of the greats.
Speaker 1: Yes staying in the division.
Speaker 3: Obviously you got Mahomes at Herbert on one side, and then we don't know what the heck the Broncos and the leader's going to do a quarterback. How do you view this division specifically what Denver and Vegas may do to kind of changed the complexion of their offense and their franchise quarterback.
Speaker 6: Yeah, big question mark with the quarterback position. So it's kind of hard to even get a good feel for how competitive they'll be. But I think they're teams that were both sort of trending in the right direction last year. The ratest defense ID that was playing really well down the stretch, and it still has to add a lot of talent on that side of the ball, you know, good skill players. Offensive lines not too bad Denver again, you know some of them. The turnaround that they had was turnover luck and things kind of and I think some of the things, some of the trends from the first part of the season were unsustainable for them.
Speaker 5: But very good head coach obviously, Peyton.
Speaker 6: It feels like if either of those teams had for if either of them had a Herbert, they would immediately honestly like be better than the Chargers at this point, probably, but that's the odds of that are low for you guys. So I think the quite is like, Okay, well, if they get that next here, how competitive are they? I think that's where you're looking at. How much does the quarterback matter versus the roster and I don't know this Acy West teams all play each other hard, though it's kind of kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. They typically split except for the chiefs when who win all the matchups, but otherwise the other the other teams tend to split with each other. I'm gonna go a little off the menu here, and I'm assuming I don't know. Maybe it's just my background in a particular previous career that I had that leads me to ask you this, And I don't think I ever have before. You have Wowie's Ali behind you, you're at home appearances. I don't know if there's just a such a strong connection to that one Pavement record that it has to stay there and hasn't rotated. But if it did rotate, yeah, if you if you were forced to take it down, like, hey, we've seen enough of this, let's uh, let's replat it. Put up another Texas Ready, They're just breaks down, they're breaking down. You gotta you gotta takeow.
Speaker 6: I actually thought about replacing it because I have a custom paintingstom It's a painting of American Water, which is an album that I like a lot from the Silver Juice that the artists who made the album cover painted it for me, and I was thinking about replacing Wow, he's.
Speaker 1: Out there we go.
Speaker 6: But I just I've had Wow he's out for so long, I know, And honestly, like probably like once at least, what maybe twice a week I hear from someone who's like, why is there a Pavement album on an ESPN background?
Speaker 5: It just cracks me up every time.
Speaker 1: So instead of your own book behind You, which apparently is a very popular path, Nah, what go for that? Check out my book? It's behind me? So is this award that I got ten years ago? I'm sorry. What's the rest of the week look like for you guys?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're live from stadium today tomorrow. You know, it's kind of the beginning for us of all of this, so it's our kind of first crack and talking about the quarterbacks. I've been desperately cramming over the last week, the beginning of draft season, so I'm pumped. This is like one of my favorite join them. I just it's and it's it's cool for me too personally because I like college football. I'm a Huskies fan, so you know, I've seen these players, but there's a lot of players like I didn't watch during the regular season. So when I get a chance I'm like, guys, oh my god, like I was just having lunch by I know, I puind uh and uh Cooper Jean de Jean walks in. I didn't watch Iowa because everyone was like, this is so boring, like it was crap.
Speaker 5: That kid is good, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean good lord, he is a really really good zone corner and he walks in.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, oh my god, like, yeah, I just want your game.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I would ask you this because we asked uh Nate Tysis if Pennix had clean medical, Yeah, where would he be?
Speaker 1: In your eyes?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: I would if you had a clean medical I would view him probably like end of first maybe like around there. You know that in age is a little This is another thing that's horrible.
Speaker 5: Draft season. I'm like, twenty four. Send him to the retirement volleyballs right old.
Speaker 6: It's it's so crabby. I think with Penix, who I love as a college player. My question is like what we saw from it's actually it's kind of similar to what they're not some of the players.
Speaker 5: But it was a similar discourse around c J. Stroud what we saw.
Speaker 6: From him in the Texas Texas game and CJS around Georgia is what I mean. Where he was like so evasive versus pressure, stepping up in the pocket, firing over the middle of the field. Is that who he can be as a quarterback consistently because a lot of his production in college was, you know, bombs outside the numbers screens and my god, that guy throws beautiful, beautiful goballs. But for me, when I'm thinking about success in the NFL, you got to use the middle of the field. You got to be able to play under pressure, and he had. He did that in that game, So I think what I want to see is, Okay, can you do that, you know at the next level.
Speaker 5: I'm not so sure. I hope. So it's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Did you uh? Did you fall into the trap with the rest of the Huskies fans when all the speculation was Dan Lanning was going to Alabama of poking poking of your your southern neighbors, like, Hi, you're gonna lose your guy. Yeah, well, and then all of a sudden, there it is, right in your lap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know it was.
Speaker 6: It was a real roller coaster for me because, like I said, I love this Husky season so much and I'm so high into bor.
Speaker 5: But you know he's dead to me now, and I.
Speaker 1: Mean you can understand the guy doesn't want to go to the big kidding. I'm kidding, but a lot of Washington fans don't.
Speaker 6: Well then, I mean the getting grubbed though for the Seahawks really softened the blow. So I was like, all right, I have I have some friends who are Bama fans. I was just like roasting them because I was like, you can have bor. You know, I'm excited to see what Ryan Grubb's offense looks like in the NFL. I'm really intrigued because very different circumstances from Washington.
Speaker 1: With Gino or with Gino. You're good with Gino. Yeah, I'm like a rider died Gene.
Speaker 5: I'm on Geno Mountain.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you and Greg Rosenthalt Gino.
Speaker 5: My I know Greg Greg is the mayor of Gino Mountain.
Speaker 1: Guy Enna our guy Chenna in Seattle too. You know we love Chenna.
Speaker 5: Miss Jenna na' is a good player. Comes back.
Speaker 1: We'll have a great week. We appreciate you stopping by the draft exactly. That's the plan. Keep telling people there's four quarterbacks, are the top five?
Speaker 5: Always say trade down exactly.
Speaker 2: Love Mina.
Speaker 3: What's funny is that she sits down and then she gets up and there's like five or six other teams that are.
Speaker 1: Coming by that so I felt bad. I mean, we're set up right when you walk in the door, and I was like, just walking the door, sit down and walk out, and she's just too nice. She's she's not gonna say no. But that's fine. I mean, like, the one thing that I take away from from today is it's now becoming pretty much just universal. I don't feel like we've really had anybody say, hey, you got to stick and pick at five. No, Mina said it, Nate said it, figure out, trade down, just pile up picks and uh. And it's Mina run Mina's Piranhas. They will, they will chew you to the bone. They will chew you to the bone. That that you got to get out of five. That that's just with a staff that's so good at developing players and has proven that at Michigan. I don't think there's any question that that's why so many of these people are are saying, get out of five, get out of five, trade down, and work your way out. That's been the good sense this is hilarious. Way I feel so bad? Exactly, it's all right, Oh yeah, what's that? Oh that looks more like you than that one. They won't get that won't get you as many places Mina evicted. Exactly. There, all right, you get to see what it looks like live, are we Oh that's it. We're still rolling. So we're making the sausage man. You're seeing, you're seeing how it is made. Is this live? Live? This live? Alright, let's start it over from the top there, all right, everybody, let's let's go. Let's good, right of course, I was just reading liners. Let's yeah, let's do that work. Good work, good
Speaker 2: M hm