Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody, It's DJ Envy, Jesselarioscharla mean the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building, got the brother d One.
Speaker 3: Welcome Brom d Man. Thank y'all for having me.
Speaker 2: Man, I didn't know this was your first time up here. I thought for sure you was up here with D One, was up here before you. Serious, Bro, I honestly did.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Well, hey, that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing. That means my presence must be getting felt. You hear me even if I wasn't here.
Speaker 5: You know, because you running the D one so much, so many times back in the day. He's running D one a lot.
Speaker 1: You know. Want to just be you know, you be out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that you go touching the people. That's that's always been the goal. I've been to your book signers before you hear me. In South Carolina, I just send you backstage at a three C not really working because I never had anything given to me in this industry. So when I stopped being a middle school teacher baging Louisiana, I was like, damn about to be a rapper.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: It was important for me to go out there and make it happen. So how you make it happen you form organic connections.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw you. Know you showed me to twot that saw you when you posted it earlier this week. But when he did decipher back in twenty fourteen, Yes, sir, I just tweeted d One spitting yeah.
Speaker 1: Because he was. So it's good to see you still ten years later.
Speaker 6: Bro here organic, bro, longevity is so hard to accomplish.
Speaker 3: In this industry.
Speaker 6: So that's one thing I pride myself on is I remember when I was a teacher in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: I used to be Fredo Bang's middle school teacher.
Speaker 6: You heard me, like literally, And I remember before I told my class like, look, I'm about to stop teaching after this year to be a rapper.
Speaker 3: I was like, dang, is.
Speaker 6: There gonna be longevity in the music industry the way there is if I was to stay being a teacher, And all these years later, I'm still here and still ascending you hear me.
Speaker 3: So that's God, Bro, That's why I know my path is divine.
Speaker 6: Nobody could say, well, d you had this person to put you on God orchestrated my blessings bro to where nobody could get the credit it stuff for him from me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that was gonna ask you tell you said you're a Fredo Bang's teacher. Did you know when you were teaching him that he was gonna be a rapper he was gonna be a star?
Speaker 3: Not at all? No, I just knew he was a funny little dude. He was cool.
Speaker 6: He had a sense of humor, and he was smart, you know what I mean. And he was not to be playing played with. He was serious, you know, he was serious about just demanding his respect.
Speaker 4: But it was just a cool dude.
Speaker 5: I did a video with him because you put out album.
Speaker 1: Called Yes I'm Sad, and like you know, I.
Speaker 5: Did a video with him encouraging him to go to go to therapy, and then I actually connected him with a therapist. That's that's coming out soon. He actually sat down with a real therapist. And I don't suggest people broadcasted, but if they want to, I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 3: What if people broadcast going to therapy.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, sitting down like the actual session, like, oh, the actual session, didn't.
Speaker 1: Doing the actual sesson I'm not sure. I'm not really here.
Speaker 5: I think I did that once for VH one, and I never doing like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, bro, because it's hard to be transparent, that's right, you know what I'm saying, super hard to be I went to therapy.
Speaker 3: Actually, right after that BT Sipher, I started going to therapy.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 6: I was signed to r c A at the time, right, And you know you're on the BT Sipher, you think in your life about to change after this, Like That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: And nothing changed after that night, you know what I mean? Nothing changed after that night.
Speaker 6: So I was like, damn man, and I was feeling like, I know I'm the underdog in this industry because you know, I'm on some I'm on some righteous stuff. I'm on some put god first stuff. I come from New Orleans. Like, after that, I felt I blew my shot and it started messing with me with me mentally to where I was like, dang, I kind of don't even want to be here no more.
Speaker 3: Not in the industry, but on this earth. And when I.
Speaker 6: Started realizing like that, I'm having suicidal thoughts behind feeling like I'm professionally a failure, I realized I couldn't separate David.
Speaker 3: From d one at that point, and that was unhealthy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And for the first time in life, I went to therapy because I was like talking to my friends that ain't getting it at this point, talking to my grandma rest in peace, that ain't cutting it at this point. So therapy really did help me, but ultimately would helped me even more than therapy was understanding my God given purpose.
Speaker 3: For like, man, I know who my creator is.
Speaker 6: I know why I was put here, and I was put here to glorify him. So who am I to think that my whole life is a failure because one moment didn't elevate me professionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I wondered about that because you know you went you you went to LSU, right, Yeah, I graduated from ls You got kicked off the basketball team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you didn't have those thoughts then.
Speaker 6: Like, man, No, my freshman year, first, before I got kicked off the basketball team, my girlfriend cheated on me with a couple of football players, he.
Speaker 4: Said, a couple, not even one.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you feel that pain, Yeah, Like I still my heart just jumped when I said it. Ast you to man, that stuff that happened freshman year. Then I got cut from the basketball team. Then my roommates started selling drugs.
Speaker 1: You heard me.
Speaker 6: When we got to l s U, we shared a dawn rum. Then one of my best friends in New Orleans got murdered, so I got that. I got the text message. When I was in English class. I looked down at my phone and my homegirl told me that my boy Ryan had just got murdered.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: All this happened freshman year. So that was the first life changing, like rock altering moment that I had. And during that time I could have found the streets. I could have found a lot of stuff. I found God in a real way, in a real way, like not in just like a week from the south.
Speaker 3: So we all believe in God, but.
Speaker 6: Like, no, like I get it, Like I submit everything to you God from this day moving forward.
Speaker 3: My only role out on trying to be like is Jesus. You heard me?
Speaker 6: And I started living like that and I started rapping. Rapping was my therapy at that time. So when I started rapping, I had a lot to talk about and I was like, why would I glorify murder when my best friends just got murdered? Why would I glorify smashing your girl when a couple of football players.
Speaker 3: Just smash my girl.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Why would I glorify a whole bunch of money that I know I ain't got you, feel me? When that that ain't just how I'm living. So from day one, rap was an outlet for me to be able to spit reality. But you got to make that reality charismatic and entertaining. So I just had to get real good and spitting reality. No.
Speaker 1: I'm from NEWORLEANWI.
Speaker 3: I went to college in band Ruge, and I taught in band Ruge.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me ask you. You know they consider you a Christian rapper, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know if they do or not.
Speaker 2: You know, because the reason is is I feel like they put you in a box. But there's a lot of rappers that preach positivity and don't preach gang, don't preach guns, don't preach violence, and they're not putting that same box.
Speaker 4: But they seem to put you in that bo.
Speaker 6: You know why, It's because they smart. The other rappers they crafty. I ain't gonna say it's smart.
Speaker 3: They crafty.
Speaker 6: Though they had a positive message, but then they'll sprinkle in some but I smash your girl, you know what I mean, Or like my partners will come to spin.
Speaker 3: A bend and and and and and and and murk you you know what I mean. They're they'll slide a little bit of that in there.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's I don't think me put the candy in the medicine.
Speaker 1: No, put the medicine in the candy.
Speaker 6: Put the medicine in the candy. Yeah, so they and I don't think that that's I don't think that that's wise because I's just like that kind of comes across lukewarm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So with me, it's one of.
Speaker 6: The things where I was like, if I got to sacrifice a little bit of professional like growth in order to say I'm gonna be uncompromising about my message, I'm down for it because wherever I get, that's where I was meant to be in God's eyes. You know a lot of people got selfish ambition, and that's different from godly ambition. What godly ambition is God, I just wanna make you proud, And wherever that lamb me at, I'm content. Selfish ambition is the world telling me to chase being a billionaire, the world telling me this's the newest car to get, the world telling me that this the brands I need to be rocking. That's selfish ambition that had you chasing or moving target for your whole life. And I never fell victim to that because around the time I was starting to get materialistic, I went to Ghano when I was thirteen years old.
Speaker 3: I saw real poverty. I thought I grew up in the hood till I went to Ghana. You feel me.
Speaker 6: I came back. Man, I'm not tripping on jibo jeans no more. I'm not tripping on you know, having a Yeah, have this jewelry and be like the hot boys or whatever. Man, I just seen people who they joy is their weapon, you know what I mean. I don't need to carry no gun. My joy is my weapon moving forward. I want my smile to light the room up when I come in there. That's what I've been on for a long time. So you apply that to the rap game, and people gonna be like, oh, he different, and because he different and he he loved God.
Speaker 3: He a Christian rapper, You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: If that's what people call me cool, but a lot of people they're just like nah, bro, he's a college professor, he's a Harvard University fellow, he's a dope rapper, he's an activist, he's you know, he's a bunch of things. He's an author. This is my children's book.
Speaker 3: I just wrote. Yeah so that I wrote that at Harvard last year. And it's uh based on.
Speaker 1: You being bullied while growing up. Right.
Speaker 6: I used to bullet when I was in kindergarten, you know, like a lot of people, and when I was bullied at the time, I didn't know how to you know, I didn't know how to get over that. So this is an anti bullying hip hop children's book because uh, yeah, bro, just like the story of David and Goliath, David was able to defeat.
Speaker 3: Goliath when he found his sling shot.
Speaker 6: You feel me, David didn't use nobody else's weapons when they was like here, take this shield, take this sword. He was like, now I'm good on that. I know what my gift is. My gift is using this sling shot. The way I overcame my bully is I found my sling shot. And you know, when you read the book, you realize what my sling shot is, but you realize that we all got a sling shot. And when you find your sling shot in life and you use it for the purpose God designed it for, You're going to defeat the golias in your world too.
Speaker 1: I love that, you know.
Speaker 5: You know, when Biggie said, I'm black and ugly as ever, however, always say that.
Speaker 1: All of us have it.
Speaker 6: However, all of us got a how all of us thank you, bro, And that's I just want hip hop to start being like hip hop is my sling shot, clearly, Bro. Rapping is what got me here. I'm on the breakfast club right now, Bro, Like this is huge. Like I don't want to act like this is just normal to me. I know every thought I've been here. You know what I'm saying, Bro, There's still a big deal to me, bro, And a lot of people are cheering for me right now, a lot of people who've been a part of my whole journey. But I just want us to like look at hip hop as being a tool that we could use in a more healthy way to help us reach our goals in life. Bro, if you listening to music, and if you're making music, it shouldn't have to glorify murder. It shouldn't have to glorify drug dealing. It shouldn't have to do that. She goes it shouldn't, you know, it shouldn't have to do all that stuff in order to get us where we're going in life.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: And I'm just trying to show people that I'm a success story. So if I could do it while other people can't do it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to just a liars?
Speaker 3: You can have a hug. Now you got a book for you, Yeah, okay, this is yeah.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You were very vocal about rappers using their platform. You spoke about of course me and Jim Jones, Rick Ross, and you were upset with You felt like the music that they put out was hurting the youth opposed to helping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, break that down a little bit.
Speaker 2: And all those brothers in their music have uplifting songs and positive songs. It's not just all about bang bang shoot them up after your girl, But you felt like the singles that they put out were well.
Speaker 6: I just feel like we got a lot of selective outrage in the black community in general, a lot of selective outrage if a white person say the N word one time, all it take is one time for them to say it.
Speaker 3: We at the top, we on their head.
Speaker 6: Oh no, you say, damn world, we're trying to cancel you. We'll never let you forget that. But if artists, if it's like yo, where they rap about murdering people, you know, in fifty percent of their songs, but in the other fifty percent or all in eighty percent of their songs, but twenty percent they rap about economic empowerment and some positive stuff like.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't that be okay? We're content with a state of lukewarm this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: That's something that I'm just like, Yo, that's confusing. That's confusing to these kids. I'm with the kids on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: You feel me.
Speaker 6: I'm a college professor currently in addition to being a rapper, Like, I'm seeing that these kids who ain't from the trenches at all, now their identity is rooted in like, well, if I'm black, I gotta be able to relate to this type of music to even feel like I'm authentically black.
Speaker 3: And that's because that's what's getting pushed. And I'm just telling the.
Speaker 6: Artists like, bro, we know, like we made it from that we shouldn't have to be glorifying that stuff. There's a difference between narration and glorification. You feel me when you narrating something. Man, I came from this hood. I came from the East Side night Walter in New Orleans. I've seen this. My best friend got killed. Glorification is Look, I'm gonna be the one to come when I get off breakfast club and come mrk something. I'm gonna be the one to come slide on my apps. I'm I'm gonna give my young boy.
Speaker 3: A bag to go and get you dead. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: We are content with the glorification of drug dealing and murdering and disrespecting our women.
Speaker 3: And that's a problem, bro, is it not?
Speaker 1: It's it's definitely a problem.
Speaker 5: What if we switched our our mindset about how we look at the music, Like, is there a way to look at the music?
Speaker 1: Is just entertainment, the same way we look at movies. You you TV?
Speaker 3: You being serious right now? Are you just playing devils?
Speaker 5: Because these people, all these people are in character. It's not like they're saying, hey, my name is such as that.
Speaker 1: They're all in character. We do it in movies and TV shows.
Speaker 5: We know it's not real, and they glorified even worse probably than the music.
Speaker 7: I think, I, yeah, you're playing you get your budd also feel like what Challan says, not to say it, and I get what you're saying that it's an influence.
Speaker 4: But we know these are rappers. Ain't killing nobody.
Speaker 1: No, we don't know that.
Speaker 2: They're not running around shooting nobody majority of them, Bro, are you serious?
Speaker 1: They are heavy?
Speaker 3: Listen, listen you listen, Bro. I just watched y'all show the other day. Bro, I'm a fan of the show. First of all, I just watched the show when y'all had my brother French Mantana up.
Speaker 6: Here, the young brother with Fred not not not the young queen, but the young brother with He was like, y'all you was like, yo, French smashing of the rappers.
Speaker 1: Wise.
Speaker 6: French was like, nah, that's rap, cap, I'm just saying that. The young brother was like, man, I make drill rap, Like what you mean if we ain't living it, like, shoot, that's lame. We gotta be living Scheana.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: They're telling you that, Bro, They're telling you like, no, this ain't just fiction rap like this is non fiction. Rappers implied to this auto biographical, and you're telling your real story.
Speaker 3: You heard me.
Speaker 6: D one is just a stage name. It's not a character. It's extension of who David Augerstein is. That's what rap is, bro. I could remember my favorite rap lyrics from The Hot Boys from twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: I can't. I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't walk around quoting my favorite movies from twenty years ago, line for line from the whole movie.
Speaker 3: But I could wrap you any Lil Wayne lyrics from twenty years ago.
Speaker 5: I definitely got me a thirty eight snub nose because of tupacin Juice third.
Speaker 1: That was a movie, though, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I've definitely been a I can't see that goa haven't been influenced by movie.
Speaker 6: You get mold though, that we are way more influenced by music than we all movies, bro. And at the same time, when the last time you seen these actors from movies out here getting killed and getting rico charges and getting putting it, I agree, thank you. So since we agree with that, it's clear that like music has this pull on us, but we content with this state of lukewarm in this show I'm telling y'all, and all I'm saying is we all massively successful. Who's sitting here right now, all of us massively successful with our platform. Like I feel called to not make the next generation feel content with with saying yeah, like let's glorify this stuff, but not let's just not go do it in real life.
Speaker 5: I wonder if you can narrate without glorifying. I don't think you can, because even somebody like I think about the jay Z. Jay Z has always been a narrator. He's always told you the good, the bad, the ugly, the consequences everything. That don't mean you still won't go out there and experience it for yourself because a lot of time but Nah's the same way that now Is glorifies. I mean he narrates it, you know, like I can't. It's just to me.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the.
Speaker 4: Nas talks about it, and a lot of it, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Nias talks about a lot of the life that he lived in Queens and a lot of it was the stuff that we're talking about, drugs and guns and all that other stuff. But NAIs also has a lot of records that's positivity.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, now's my favorite rapper. I'm saying like nas inspired me to be like, oh, this is a sophisticated hood dude same as me, Like I can relate to that, Like he clearly smart, but he's seen a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: He's been through a lot of stuff.
Speaker 6: Glorifying something is just simply saying, Bro, how many records that are either getting played on the radio or that's at the top of these playlists nowadays? How many records are glorifying I'm gonna spin on my apps.
Speaker 3: I'm spinning the being, I'm sliding on you. I'm gonna bust your head, like, come on.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: That's glorification, bro. Narration is saying, Yo, I've seen this stuff in my past. This happened to my best friend, Da Da Da Da da man one of my students murdered another one of.
Speaker 3: My students who I used to teach this is real life.
Speaker 6: If I'm narrating that, I'm still talking about murder, but I'm not glorifying it.
Speaker 3: Like that's to be replicated and duplicated. You feel me.
Speaker 5: I wonder about people's environments too, though, because I feel like the environment you come up and influences you way more than music would. I just think the problem sometimes is that people provide soundtracks for the environment.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, so that's where as OG's and hip hop and as success stories, we should be able to yo to the youngest coming up. Let me show you how you can take that environment and make your environment be a product of you because.
Speaker 3: You was chosen. You hear me.
Speaker 6: If you're an artist and you got a huge platform, you know what our responsibility is.
Speaker 3: It's to make the revolution irresistible. That's a famous quote.
Speaker 6: The role of the artist is to make the revolution irresistible. That means you can take something. You could take concrete and you could be the roles that grew from it and have everybody looking like how did you do that?
Speaker 3: And it's like I'm gonna show yall. I'm gonna y all the blueprint we chosen. Yo. You know how many people wrapped in this world, but they're not here right now. I clearly was chosen.
Speaker 6: It's bigger than me. I could spit with the best them. I'm better than ninety five percent of the rappers in this world. I know that you know what I'm saying. But with that being said, it's still takes more than just talent. So I was chosen. So it's like, dangn since I made it, what's my responsibility. It's not to keep feeding lies to people.
Speaker 3: I didn't have.
Speaker 6: Rappers had these type of convoys with me outside the booth, and then the engineer'll be like, all right, the beat is ready, and they leave from their chair. They go hop in the boot and they gonna kill faulty people in their song.
Speaker 2: But some of but some of your favorite rappers do the same, Like you're talking about Lil Wayne, Lila.
Speaker 4: Wayne has has said it, Jay has said it.
Speaker 3: Now, that's not that's what.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of rappers that are doing it. On the positive side, you got your chance to rappers. You got your j Coles, you got your Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Even the new ones. I love the Russell you got, I love rahaps you got Kendrick. I give what you. I feel like the last ten years of hip hop, at least.
Speaker 5: The guys that were really really on top, with the exception of Maybe Future, they are nothing like the artists we grew up on, like J Cole, Kendrick Drag.
Speaker 1: They're nothing like we grew up on.
Speaker 5: Some cbfore the envy was putting guns in his manolo blocks because.
Speaker 1: Rappers was talking about it. But whatever what I'm saying, we grew up in the area.
Speaker 5: You had to be hardcore, you had to be just to survive facts.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, think about it like this.
Speaker 6: We can name all of the artists who y'all saying got a message nay music, probably on two hands.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, there's whole.
Speaker 6: Genres of rap, trap, rap, drill rap a genre because system like one hundreds of artists, they got a whole genres that dedicated to the murder music at this point, they got a whole genres just dedicated to the negativity being glorified.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately with our young queens, our women, what's being rapped about vagina booty, you know what I'm saying, just the power of what was between the lead.
Speaker 4: Though. Yeah, but how do you change that? Because you know, how do you change that?
Speaker 2: Because I heard you said in the interview it's like, you know a lot of these rappers you feel are serving two masters, right, yeah, the man upstairs and then or the man and woman upstairs, and then also the money.
Speaker 4: So how do you change that?
Speaker 6: You gotta pick one. And who created you? Did money create you? Or did God create you? God created you?
Speaker 3: So that's what you're.
Speaker 6: Supposed to be serving. Don't become a slave to a green piece of paper. Shout out to my brother Styles p Man, that's a song of his. I lived my whole life for a green piece of paper, you know what I mean. I'm like, dang that that song hit me back when I was in school because I was like, dang, I don't want to live my whole life for a green piece of paper that could be torn up and then once you teed it up, it has no value.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: Man, You don't think that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: People have to evolve. They have to they have to see it in themselves.
Speaker 2: Like we've seen j Evol, We've seen Styles p Evol, some of these people stabbing Styles was like.
Speaker 1: Jesus put it. But I always tell you Block that I loved Block. I love their growth and the evolution.
Speaker 5: But growing up, when I used to listen to d block music, I used to want to stab somebody with something sharp.
Speaker 4: You just said it, didn't you. At Queen's Bridge on the side of his head when he had hair Oh.
Speaker 5: Wow, I want you to I don't disagree with nothing you're saying. The only thing I want is that I don't like when you say what you say and then people take it away and then they want to get violent. I'm like, yo, how can you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying? I want people to hear you, but you're not wrong.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I don't have any beef with any artists. By the way, like I'm.
Speaker 3: Full of love.
Speaker 6: I hope y'all could feel that radiating from me. I'm also knowing that, like man, time is ticking. Man, we all got an expiration date and we don't know when it is. When I was in college, Jeremy and I had three dudes walk up on me out the blue. I was playing one on one basketball with my boy and these dudes walked up.
Speaker 3: They thought we had broken their homeboy's car. You heard me.
Speaker 6: So they was like, man, y'all broken out pot and the car. We was like, nah, not at all. They was like, man, y'all lying. One of the dudes pulled a gun out. Dude got a gun right here on my temple.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Real quick, I got my hands up like this, I'm like, damn, bro, I never thought I'd died as same way. My best friend just got killed a couple years ago. I thought my life was over right there, by the grace of God. The girl was walking to her apartment. She looked down at the basketball court. She was like like, oh my god, you know what I mean. And they looked up and they got spooks, so they put the gun up. They ran right in that moment, I was like, oh, shoot, I'm sure it's an impact over income.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Because if I'd have died in that moment, all the money that I had, that money couldn't have did nothing, but the impact that I left in this world, that impact would be here forever, even after my life was gone. So that's when I was like, I'm not gonna be I was a business major, you feel me. I used to intern for Jimmy Hinchman up here in New York when I was in college. I was gonna work in corporate America. Man.
Speaker 3: I was like, forget that, I'm gonna be a teacher. I became a middle school teacher.
Speaker 6: When I was a middle school teacher, one of my students came in class one day with Mob tatted on his arm, the same with CHARLOA man had QB tatted on his head. Right, my student came in with MOB on his arm. I said, Bro, what made you get that tattooed?
Speaker 3: You know what that stand for?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Money over?
Speaker 6: He was like, no, sir, I don't know what that means. And I was like, then why did you get it? Because his favorite rapper, Lil Wayne has a tattooed.
Speaker 3: On his chest.
Speaker 6: The influence when I saw that from Pop huh Wayne and Wayne probably got that from pot Bro. That made me want to be a rapper. And I was like, I want to be a rapper because of the influence that I see the rappers are having. Man, that's it, Bro, so been in this game. Just dropped my eleventh album, From the Hood to Harvard. From the Hood to Harvard, talk.
Speaker 5: To me about working with Jimmy Hinton. I'm gonna ask you about that, Like, just walk walk me through that experience. Well, I needed to graduate.
Speaker 6: I was a marketing major, so I had to have an internship under my belt.
Speaker 3: And at the time I was like, dang, he was managing the game.
Speaker 6: I feel like he had Rick Ross, he had a Gucci man you know what I'm saying. He had a brandy, he had a few different people, and I was like, dang, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: It'd be amazing to work for him.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 6: I just called the number of his office and shout out to my sister Lashina, you heard me.
Speaker 3: She was working the front desk at the time. She answered the phone and she was like, Hey, how you doing.
Speaker 6: I was like, look, I'm a college student trying to get an internship, and I sent my resume over they hire me just like that. I didn't get paid. I ain't get paid, but I was up here in New York. I was living in the Bronx that summer and intern with him. I was on the Games Street Team. So years later, the game was on my last album I just dropped a few months ago. So to go from interning and working on the Games Street Team to him being a collaborator on my album, that's like a full circle moment, bro. But it showed me that summer. It showed me that I don't want to be in this industry unless I could be an artist, because I I've seen a lot of people who was pushing music that after they finished promoting the music, they would look at me and say, man, I don't even want my own kids listening to that music.
Speaker 3: But this is just my job.
Speaker 6: I was like, ooh, I wouldn't want to have to live my life like that. You got to push something that you don't even really stand behind because it's your job. I was like, the only way I'd be in this game is if I could be an artist, because I could control my narrative.
Speaker 5: How many times you got called Poppy in the Bronx, I know they confused you for space They.
Speaker 6: Did, yeah, and I was like, bro, I'm black, Bro, I'm from New Orleans, Jeremy.
Speaker 3: As soon as I said you heard me, they was like.
Speaker 8: Oh here and from here.
Speaker 5: When did you first realize you were using your gifts for their intended purpose?
Speaker 6: Well, the first time I did a show, it was a it was a talent show at LSU and I miss a Phoenix Shakur was at my school right Tupac's mind. And when I got off stage, I didn't win first place, second place, or third place in that talent show, but when I got off stage, she was like, young brother, your passion on that microphone when I see you perform, reminds me of my son, and when she told me that, I was like, oh, I got something special, Like even if people not recognizing it in the moment, I got something special. Tupac Mama just told me this, you feel me. And at that point I was like, all, I know, if I use this for the purpose it was designed for, it could be life changing.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 6: I got letters in my pocket, bro, from students who like when I visit these middle schools and these high schools, they write me letters about like how much my music has inspired them and they wanting to be like me. They writing raps and they're giving this to me when I come to their school, Like I see this. You know, I'm speaking at a school. By the time I get off stage, the little girl and like drew a picture of me. You know what I'm saying, Like this is powerful, yo, Like this is organic stuff that I experienced on a daily basis. So I'm like, who would I be to have a water down message when I know that this message could be life changing for people in a good all bad way.
Speaker 3: And you're a professor, right, yeah, and talks university.
Speaker 5: And you teach students about the intersection of hip hop and social change.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, that yeah, So my course that I designed, it's all about how hip hop has been used to make social change in the past and how we can use it to make social change moving forward, because unfortunately, it's kind of veered in the direction of Yo, I'm just trying to get the bag. I ain't even a rapper. I'm just a game spinner. I'm just a hustler. You know, it's kind of veered in that direction. So people now focused on making change via hip hop right, And I'm just saying, yo, as a class, we're going to learn how different artists have been able to use their platform to really make real change. I was on tour with Macklemore when the thrift Shop song came out, doing a nationwide tour with him.
Speaker 3: I saw the change.
Speaker 6: That they were making, even in the LGBTQ community when they had the same love song. I saw all of the legislation that they were a part of, and how they had people getting married at the shows and all this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm seeing real social change be made via hip hop.
Speaker 6: I done seen the impact that l fox ones then had on the whole you know, a whole country make people.
Speaker 3: So we just study about that stuff.
Speaker 6: In my class, Bro, And I'm empowering my class to want to make music but also consume music that's gonna make change, because why are you consumer music that's glorified? Like one assignment I had for my class was to write Kodak Black a letter while he was in jail.
Speaker 3: Just now.
Speaker 6: Kodak just got out last week and me and Kodak are cool. So we were dming yesterday and Kodak hit me like, yo, I got all them letters from you and your class. He was like, that stuff really inspired me. Thank you, bro, y'all snapped. I want to come and visit your class.
Speaker 5: Kodak is a perfect I'll go ask you to what strategies do you use? So I want to get back to Koda. But other than like writing letters to Kodak, like what other things have you done?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So my class is actually creating an album, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: My class is creating an album because I want to show them how hard it is to create hip hop and actually make it make social change. Because nowadays, if you want to have a message in your music, you automatically the underdog. But I love that my students could be like, wait, Professor d one is dropping music is on the freaking breakfast club.
Speaker 3: Like it's possible, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Totally independent, one hundred percent independent. They see that as possible. But I want them to see the things that they didn't see, which is me and you connecting ten years ago, Me and you connected almost ten years ago, y'all seeing me grinding. I'm making my class do this as they create an album, because making the music is the easy part. But make the music connect with people, you know what I mean. So I'm showing them with a little a little tough love, you know that, Like, we're gonna learn about artists who have done it successfully. We're gonna learn about artists who are on the right path, but then they let the bag get in their way and they changed their message along the way, and then we're gonna learn how to do it as an artist.
Speaker 1: Can't you be multi faceted? Though?
Speaker 3: Can't you be Can't you glorify killing and want to save the world? No?
Speaker 5: No, But maybe can you be a social justice advocate and just be a street rapper from Philly talking about your experience?
Speaker 3: You can definitely be.
Speaker 6: And by the way, but I hope that you know, I hope that's not still out in the air that d one has an issue with Meek may Or, Jim Jones and Rick Ross.
Speaker 3: I hope that's not.
Speaker 1: Well, you were specifics. That was the other thing too.
Speaker 5: I think that if you weren't specific and you just were talking about I think the message would have been received a little bit better. Because when whenever you, you know, address somebody as an individual, they're going to take your personal.
Speaker 6: Gotcha, it just are And and that wasn't my intention for anybody to take that personal because I literally, like, I love other brothers in a real sencere way, bro to say, just know, Oh, I'm just saying that, dad, I know, in.
Speaker 3: A real way.
Speaker 6: But when you use examples to make your point, if somebody say, man, people in the NBA need to conduct themselves better off the court, that's super vague. When you say, man, John mort need to stop, you know, flashing guns in his videos.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a real example, all right. Cool?
Speaker 4: Have you spoke to those brothers after man?
Speaker 3: Me and Jim have text each other and it was all love via text.
Speaker 6: I hope to link up with Jim while I'm out here in New York in person, like that'll be love.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be the next.
Speaker 4: That conversation happening on text. You hit hear me hit.
Speaker 6: You No a mutual contact. My brother Antonio and my brother Shabbaz the o G. They they they linked us via text, right, and then I sent them a video one day.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: I woke up one day and I was like, man, all of this middle man and stuff and group text. I sent them a personal video speaking from the heart for a minute. Jim, this d one brother da da da, This was my heart, this was my intentions, this is my background. Da da da put that out that to him. That brother hit me back in five minutes. I appreciate you reaching out.
Speaker 3: This means a lot. I respect what you stand for.
Speaker 6: You know, we should have a conversation, he said, because I realized sometimes in life people are trying to get to the same destination, but they just taking two different routes. I respect the heck out of that. So we haven't met in person yet. We haven't verbally talked, but we text with Meek and Ross. I haven't communicated with them directly. I know people who know all of them, you know, so I would love for the link to be made just so they know like, Bro, this ain't no. I just want us to be the best version of ourselves, man, because it confuses the kids if we are giving turkeys away, giving toys away, giving shoes away, advocating for social justice reform.
Speaker 3: And glorifying the opposite type of message in our music. And that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You know, is it ever appropriate to use unconventional means to achieve righteous righteous sense?
Speaker 3: It depends on what those unconventional means are. Bro, that's it.
Speaker 6: Like I wouldn't get up here right now and disrespect any of y'all.
Speaker 3: Physically or verbally to say, hey, the goal was to go viral.
Speaker 1: The niggas will a lot of to go virus.
Speaker 6: N Like, I don't think that that's That's just not how I'm cut. I'm not that thirsty for validation or for fame. Like I actually been famous for a long time, you know what I mean, I haven't. I haven't taught since I was Fredo's teacher, you know what I'm saying. That's like over a decade ago, brother, Like, Like, I'm good. I'm in a great space mentally, physically, financially, all that stuff. So for me, it's like the slow grind to continue. Rising might not come along with the antics, but it comes along with integrity. It's making God proud, it's making my grandparents, my parents proud, and it's giving people a blueprint. You know that that viral stuff. Man, you'll be here today and gone tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Can you talk about being in this world but not of this world? I know on the song line drawn on the entry.
Speaker 6: You say that, Yeah, so lines drawn is me saying, like, yo, this whole industry has become content with the state of luke warming this bro like we cool with a this song, we popping my lists, we popping pills, we selling dope, this song, we're doing something positive and we're cool with consuming it all. That's why other communities don't take us serious. You can't play with gay people like that. You can't play with jewels like that because they don't play with themselves like that. But when they see us disrespecting ourselves, they're like, man, the black people, they're not tripping man like it is what it is. They glorify killing themselves. Who cares if we disrespect them?
Speaker 3: You know? With that being said, does everybody in here believe in God?
Speaker 6: Of course percent If we all can say that, then that should make it way easier to understand my why why I do what I do. It's because I don't I don't serve my fans. I don't serve the industry, I don't serve Instagram. I serve God. And I'm simply using my music as a vehicle to reach people.
Speaker 3: But I'm not serving the people.
Speaker 6: So if we all look at what our slingshot is and what our gifts are and say, how can I use this gift to be of service to God, automatically it'll be like, Oh, there's no way that I can justify glorifying killing and glorifying just a bunch of negativity to say that, Well, I'm trying to make money, so that's going to justify it at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: There's no way. So I say it.
Speaker 6: I'm drawing lines and I'm saying what side of the line are you on? Do you want to represent righteousness or you want to represent evil? And drawing that line in the sand.
Speaker 3: That's made a.
Speaker 6: Lot of people on hip hop uncomfortable because now it's like, oh, I got to pick a side. I was comfortable in the middle. I ain't want to have to pick a side. We was all comfortable in the middle. Actually, man, I'm just drawing a line, that's all. And that's why I put that song out. That's the first song on my album, and that song shaking things up?
Speaker 3: You heard me?
Speaker 8: How often do you get a student that still just goes against the ground, you know what I mean? Like, you know, because everybody's not gonna go yeah, everybody's not gonna do the same thing, you know. I know you help a lot of students. I can definitely tell that you help a lot of a lot of kids, But like, how many how often do you get the ones that's like nah?
Speaker 3: Every day? I got students in the graveyard right now. Want to listen. They're resting in peace, like literally literally, Man, that stuff tough.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: One of my students, g Money. He was a popular rapper and band ruge. You know, he got murdered a few years ago. That was Fredo Band's rapping partner. It was in the group together. Man, he got murdered. Man, I was talking to him two days before he got murdered.
Speaker 3: He was involved in.
Speaker 6: Some beef down there in Louisiana and I wanted him to come with me to a show. I had in Memphis at the time, but he adn't asked his phone when I hit him up, and I didn't want to seem like I was bothering him, right, but I was like, man, get out the city. Man, come with me for the weekend. Let me just pour into you, bro. And he ain't come with me to that show. He got murdered before I could make it back home. I mean, but I knew that. It's like you involved in this beef, but it's because you're getting caught up in wanting to play this role of who G Money is instead of the young brother that I know Garret Burton is, you know. And I just seen hip hop make people do that. Man, Like I got adrenaline running through me right now. Man, I'm on the breakfast club. It's gonna make people like want to amplify something inside of them. Thankfully though, because I know I'm serving God. I'm like, amplify the righteousness in U. D like, don't amplify because I got darkness in me too. I got wretchedness, I got craziness. I got evil in me as well.
Speaker 3: We all do.
Speaker 6: But I don't want to amplify that part. I try to suppress that part as much as possible. But man, I see people make the wrong decisions every day, and I just try to I try to still be here for we gotta still have grace with people.
Speaker 3: You feel me, And.
Speaker 1: What could you tell?
Speaker 8: Like my black son, he's eleven years old, right, And what I noticed about him is, you know, he lives between me, my mother, and his father. So that's three different households, you know, because what I doing, what his dad does.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm always on the road.
Speaker 8: I live in New Jersey now he's between here and Baltimore and then his dad. Total different household. He has siblings there. I don't have other children yet. I'm pregnant right now. But it's a different it's different household, so it's different things that I don't allow him to do that his dad may allow him to do that my mom don't. So he's he's listening in the gospel when he was herd but down when he that's not what he wanted to listen to.
Speaker 4: He's listening to NB a young.
Speaker 3: Boy in school and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: And I notice a mood change, you know, not to you know, shut on and be a young boy or anything like that, because he has things that he's going through as well, and he makes that very known. But my son's mood will change, He'll he'll get like down a little bit, you know what I'm saying. But he loves to listen to him right now, I listen to all types of things.
Speaker 3: I don't have him listen to.
Speaker 8: My son know Marvin Gay songs, he knows Anita Baker like he knows so many different because it's different.
Speaker 3: I listen to rap.
Speaker 8: I listen from everything to rap, rhythm and blues rock.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 8: But I notice how it's a change.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 8: It's a mood, and influence from music is very impactful because my son just goes into a different mood when he listens to like Juice World an NBA young Boy, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, why are you listening to that?
Speaker 5: You're like, I like it.
Speaker 8: I'm like, can you understand what they're saying?
Speaker 3: No, not like that, not like that.
Speaker 8: But he understands some of that stuff and he puts them in a different mood.
Speaker 3: You get it literally changes your mood.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's life and death in the power of the tongue. That's Proverbs eighteen and twenty one. It don't say, life and death in the power of the beat.
Speaker 3: You heard me.
Speaker 6: The beat could change your mood or your frequency, but life and death is in the power of those lyrics. So that's why it's like, we all say we believe in God, so we can't ignore that scripture that's real. So that's why I'm like, bro, I don't even want to play about something that could have life and death implications.
Speaker 3: You feel me, and that's just real, yo.
Speaker 6: So now it's like, instead of just being the person that's anti it is anti dead, I gotta be just as dope, but in a different lane. So that's why I gotta beat it to counter act the murder music with stuff like I don't care if you know me, you're about to respect high step.
Speaker 3: Why would you think I'd.
Speaker 4: Ever fear you.
Speaker 3: I don't even fear death. A scare of boy. Need a gun like bad breath? Need a gun? Yeah, your teeth clean, But I know the power of the tongue. I'm a man of God.
Speaker 6: I ain't superstitious from New Orleans, where Birdman quotes get treated like Bible scriptures. But me, I ain't the type to brag about without in bolt. I make silent moves, but I get loud results. If d one talk about his pain, you gonna really relate. Do you want to talk about his paper?
Speaker 3: You gonna know that his street.
Speaker 6: Do you want rap on top of your beat? You gonna know that he ate d You wanta rap on top of your beat? You gonna know that he ate you? Bragging about with you then been through Potner. We survivors too, and you calling boys your brothers. But which one's gonna rhyme for you? Ain't no g cod, no more boi. The streets then lie to you. That's why I be in my bag, but I be in my bible tool. They don't like me, but they know they can't deny me. Man, I'm a real gangster, and they no right where to find me. G A n g st A. Do not try me growing their nurturing. If serving the almighty, keep up a lot of people feel how I be feeling, but don't speak up. I'd be out at Harvard in my office with my feet up.
Speaker 4: God, why are.
Speaker 3: You so good to me?
Speaker 6: I need answers. Slaves built this school. Now I own real estate on campus.
Speaker 3: That's how I gotta come bro Charlamagne, I dare you say that, ain't it?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 5: I da say, you don't have to say nothing.
Speaker 1: But of course that was dope. What would you do on?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I own it.
Speaker 6: So it's this huge, huge, multi purpose facility that's being built. It's going to be office buildings, is going to be mixed income housing, and it's going to be a student academic center that's being built.
Speaker 3: We just broke ground on it. What that was December first?
Speaker 6: So I'm part of a team and take a team to make something big like that happened, brother, And thankfully I was connected to brilliant black minds that were like, yo, man, we got the opportunity to own real estate on Harvard's campus when our ancestors built this school. Man, we got to do that. And I was like, bet, that's what I'm using my money on. I don't need the newest car. I drive behind the cord proudly. I don't need a boo gouty it.
Speaker 3: I can have that.
Speaker 6: I can have a lambo at this point, I don't need none of that. Man, give me that real estate on Harvard's campus.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 5: You know? I got a couple more questions with d one because you've you've been propositioned to compromise yourself at different points in this industry.
Speaker 3: Right, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I don't want if you're not going to say, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Going that's it?
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah say it.
Speaker 5: Since I mean, is it true that you are pressure to participate in homosexual acts for a major?
Speaker 3: Is it true that you were pressure to participate in homosexual acts for you?
Speaker 1: Get that?
Speaker 4: I didn't see that on this It's true.
Speaker 3: No, it's very true. I don't know how you heard that. Maybe you heard another interview or something. It's very true.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 6: That's when I was. That's when I was a local rapper trying to get on. And when people see that, you are vulnerable because they know they got the leverage. There's certain people in this industry who will be like, oh, I think he'll be willing to do something strange for a piece of change, you know what I mean? And I had somebody was trying to get somebody to manage me at the time, and the person I was trying to get to manage me, I drove out of time. I went to a video shoot that they were part of, and during the video shoot, we were gonna have a meeting and talk about that. And yeah, that person kind of you know, implied to me like yo, like I'll manage you. You justally gotta do something for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you see them managing artists now you like man.
Speaker 6: That So actually that person is christ Yeah, bro, No, that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: This ain't. No, I'm surprised y'all don't know more stories like that. I do know a lot of about it. Yeah, but it's so it's a real thing that I know.
Speaker 6: And unfortunately people so that person they're not like some big model nowadays, whatever trajectory they were on.
Speaker 3: Like they fell off.
Speaker 6: I say that, but I want people to know that story because I could have said yes, and I could have I could have had something. To this day, that's a huge skeleton in my closet that I'm like, damn bro, like I'm traumatized behind that. And I had to do that to get on. All I had to do to.
Speaker 3: Get on was be real, be righteous, and be relevant, keep God first.
Speaker 1: Man. And I ask one lest thing about in posita syndrome.
Speaker 5: You got a record in positive syndrome, and you're clearly at a place of worthy right now. So when did you get to that place of worthy and was able to say, you know what, I know who I am.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: Any time I'm entering a space where I feel like I'm being tolerated and not celebrated, shout out to you for that.
Speaker 3: I got that from you.
Speaker 6: I still feel a sense of impostera syndrome in the music industry. For the most part. I feel like they tolerate me, but they don't celebrate me.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: My fans, man, my fans want me to win so bad. That's why my fans like, we'll name our own price, d we'll.
Speaker 4: Pay for your album.
Speaker 6: We'll go stream it too, but we'll pay up to a thousand dollars for your album. I got fans that love me, but the industry, bro, I still feel like they're like, dang d got so many followers, he making so much noise, Gotta let him on there, so we gotta open this door for him. But they just tolerate me, they don't necessarily celebrate me. So I still feel impasta syndrome a lot of times when I'm in industry spaces, because you can kind of tell when people are like you too big and too powerful at this point to not have you here, but we ain't necessarily like championing you. Like you can see the industry pushing some people to the forefront, you know what I'm saying. So it keeps me humble, It keeps me with a chip on my shoulder. It keeps me feeling like I'm that underdog from New Orleans. I'm David with mogul lives to have to fight.
Speaker 5: You think it's more like Sharif in minutes though, It's like, oh here come d One again. He about to preest us and tell us put the weed down and put the liquid down.
Speaker 6: Man. That's I don't, bro, cause I never get that from people. They're like, man, you come across preachy or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I'm passionate.
Speaker 6: But that's why I'm able to be on the phone with a Boosie, on the phone with a Kodak black, you know what I mean, kicking it with man in fresh juvenile like all these like, Man, I'm just a regular dude, bro, I'm really just a regular dude who is simply not a slave to money. And I know who I serve, who is who we say we all serve, which is God.
Speaker 3: So because of.
Speaker 6: That, cool man, I can't be content with things that's not glorifying God. That's happening all my watching in my space while I'm in this industry. Man, I got a bro, I'm on a breakfast club right now. Man, i gotta say some stuff that's gonna impact people even after we long gone and we're not on this earth no more.
Speaker 5: I understand it because the negative is definitely amplified. So when people say things like, man, how come do you want just don't reach out to some of these people personally, I mean, you gotta say what you're saying about the positive, and you gotta amplify that too, right Like that gotta be saying publicly.
Speaker 6: If the negative is public thank you, bro, thank you listen, man. Public actions deserve public responses. We have an industry that is putting this music out publicly every day. If I go on every playlist in the world right now, it's being curated with murder music, with music that's disrespecting our women, that's glorifying drug Dealing with that being said, man, it's got to be addressed publicly.
Speaker 3: It can't like, why are you gonna hit all.
Speaker 6: These individual artists up behind the scenes And I'm not interested in let me go at the industry. Who is the industry. I don't know who the industry is. Y'all had Leo Cohen on here talking about A them people got to a I got miles to feed too. You know what I'm saying, Man, listen, America doesn't want to heal your trauma. America wants to monetize your trauma. This industry don't want to heal your trauma. They want to monetize your trauma. So I'm like, let me empower the artists and the fans to simply be smarter and say, let's continue to make hip hop. Let's continue to listen to hip hop, but let's make a healthier version of it. That's gonna be better.
Speaker 3: For all of us. You know what I'm saying. Just about the platinum players you get out of the platinum plans, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, before you before you go into that, you know, I want to ask you mentioned the game?
Speaker 4: Yes, Now, how do you decide who you're working with?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Because the game has been a rapper who's been one of those rappers. He's been on both sides, right heat positive songs.
Speaker 4: He uplist, but he's been a shooter too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how do you decide who d One is working with because somebody might say that you work with the game in the game, he's on that line, he ain't.
Speaker 6: So the game is a center, right, d One is a center too. There's nobody on the face of this earth that I won't sit down with that I won't work with. Hearing me the book that I add here to the Bible in Mark chapter two, verse seventeen, I believe it says healthy people don't need a doctor, sick people do. With that being said, what would I look like to say, Oh, man, I can't associate with the Game, or I can't associate with Kevin Gates?
Speaker 3: These are all this I what you mean? They people just like me.
Speaker 6: That's why I've collaborated with them, and I collaborate with anybody on the face of this earth. Man, Like, we're not supposed to sit here and point a finger and judge people. Man, we got stuff. Me and the Game both lost loved ones to gun violence. That's what the song is about. Me and Kevin Gates. We both come up in Southern Louisiana.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: The song is about what we done seen behind people chasing money.
Speaker 3: When we got music together, you know, what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Like this is I got a song coming out with Project Pat in two weeks. I got a song coming out with Raheem DeVaughn in a week like bro like I'm out here. I collaborated with Loope Fiasco, Big crit you know, all kinds of people, bro, Like, that's what I want to do because I love making people say he belong in this box, and I love breaking that box and making a hit and people be like, wait, what that wasn't supposed to work. I was with Killer Mike two weeks before the Grammy Awards in Atlanta. That's my big brother. I went on my first tour with Killer Mike. Man, it was so powerful to see that brother win three Grammy Awards. Bro, and let me know that a shift is happening right now. This is the time, right now for all the boxes to be broken. Oh you're too old, Nope, Killer Mike just won a Grammy Award. Oh you got a message in your music? People don't want hear that. Nope, Killer Mike just won three Grammy Awards.
Speaker 3: We got it. So with that being said, it's time for us to all come together. Man.
Speaker 6: Can't nobody say why would you work with this artist or this artist. Me and fredill Bang got a song about the drop.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: What would I look like to not work with my student just because it's like, oh, man, will you be rapping about some different stuff than me? Bro?
Speaker 3: So I can't do that now.
Speaker 2: Because people will say, you know, you pointing a finger at Let's say a artists like Jim Jones.
Speaker 4: Would you do a record with Jim?
Speaker 6: I already got a record for Jim if he would be down the hip on it. Man, I got a ton of songs that I'm like, Jim, I think this will be fire for us. But if not, because people love to call you a cloud chaser, right, you're.
Speaker 1: Bringing him in your worldly.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm always bringing people into my world if I do a song.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, Like, you gotta respect my platform. I don't curse in my music. You know what I'm saying, Hey, if you could respect that, the game hit me and said, guess what, Libro, this the first song of my whole career. I'm not gonna curse on, but I'm gonna do that for you. That's a testimony, Bro, That's powerful. You feel me so of course I'll.
Speaker 3: Do a song with Jim Jones, with Meek Mill, with Rick Ross. But if it don't come to that, it's okay because it's not about that. Brother.
Speaker 6: I'm good already, Like generational wealth has been built already, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The im pagg is being made.
Speaker 6: The calendar is full with speaking engagements and booking and touring and all that.
Speaker 3: So the platinum pledge I in the.
Speaker 6: Music industry, the highest standard of success is gone platinum, right, So I turn a platinum into an acronym. It stands for people leading a transform involving newly unified mindsets. That's what platinum stands for. The platinum pledge simply says that we are taking a vow that we will not create, support or promote music. There's glorifying murder, glorifying drug dealing, glorifying the disrespect of our women, and glorifying sexual irresponsibility. That's the platinum pledge. And I'm unifying people to say, yo, there's actually more of us who agree with this than don't agree with this. But the industry will make you feel like, man, I'm the only one who I'm lame.
Speaker 3: If I don't want to hear murder music. You know what I'm saying. So the Platinum Pledge, Brother.
Speaker 6: Thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people have signed it already.
Speaker 3: Bro. Now I'm on the breakfast club talking about it.
Speaker 6: People could go to my website D one music dot comde the number one music dot com, and go sign the Platinum Pledge. And I'm unifying all these thousands of people together to say, now here is how we create a healthier hip.
Speaker 3: Hop space for all of us. That's what the Platinum Pledge is. Bro. I would love for y'all to sign the year real man. That's bro. That is life changing. Bro.
Speaker 6: That is life changing when we see this ain't about canceling nobody. This ain't about we don't love this person. We want everybody to be a part of.
Speaker 3: This shift, but we want to make it together. Man. That's huge, bro. So that's what the Platinum Pledge is.
Speaker 6: And I've been doing these meetings going from city to city called Rappers Only in New Orleans, I kicked it off in my hometown. We had one hundred rappers in the same room. Gangster rappers, Christian rappers, backpack rappers, females all kinds of stuff, right, and we in that rappers only and were talking about what's the mental side of what goes into why we make the music we make monetarily, like, how important is it to make money off of the music we make?
Speaker 3: What's the message we want to put out there?
Speaker 6: It's basically therapy for artists and me doing this and doing these rappers only meetings from City of the City. This stuff is making artists feel like dagn bro, Like, finally I could express some stuff that I couldn't express to my fan base or I couldn't express like to other people that don't just get me. Man, I'm trying to unify us so we could be better, bro, and not trying. We're doing it at this point.
Speaker 1: You heard me, give me your Twitters and Instagrams and all that stuff. Do you want?
Speaker 6: All my social media is d one music, d Ee the number one music you heard me. All my social media and on streaming platforms is just d one d Ee Dash the number one. I got eleven albums out and counting, y'all go check it out newest album from.
Speaker 3: The Hood to Harvard please and look. I want to bless y'all with these patches limited edition patches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be real, be righteous, be relevant.
Speaker 6: That's my collaboration I just did with Levi's Envy. I got you, brother, Remy, Yeah, man, So that's my model. When I say three year is up, that's what it means. Brother, be real, be righteous, be relevant, and hip hop. I know we could do all them things and we're gonna win together.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see y'all next time, bro, because we gotta keep this journey. Gun.
Speaker 4: You heard me, lewis right, d one.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club.