Speaker 1: Only fifteen to ten touched up.
Speaker 2: What's been a special week here in Indianapolis. Chargers Weekly as always joined by Bat Buddy Smith. This is podcast number four of the week. I don't even know how many interviews we've done a lot, but we'll enter on a high note with Matt Miller, Brett Coleman Money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brett Partner partners with us and the Chargers does an awesome job. So I'm guessing a lot of folks that listen and subscribe to the pod or watch the pod on YouTube are very familiar with his work. If you're not, make sure you follow him. Check out his YouTube channel. There's a reason why he's got four hundred thousand people that subscribe to it. He does a break job of breaking things down on film, and he, like our friend Lancer line from earlier, this week is one where you can throw any name at him that might get drafted, including the top one hundred undrafted free agents. And Brett's got an answer for you. Knows exactly what you're talking about, has already done his write up and his work up on him, and has a scouting report. So we're gonna nice thing about you know being here is you have so many different you know, people that are either heavily invested in the draft and it's what they do, it is their primary focus, like Lance, like Brett, and then you have the people that are on the team side, that are a little more on the NFL side and kind of talk about fit and transactional you know, work that the Chargers may have to do to get cap compliant, to trade down, to acquire picks, to build depth, all of those sort of things. In the case of Brett, it's someone that's already done hundreds of hours of work on all of these players, and it's going to be able to kind of walk you through different rounds and how you can get to certain players and sleepers and this particular gem that can be found there. And that's always fun because you know that's your how do I get the A plus plus plus plus on my mock draft?
Speaker 1: And that's kind of what Brett helps us get through.
Speaker 2: Great conversation about players that we probably in front haven't talked about this week and not to this point, but we'll start with Matton Miller all suited up for ESPN's kind of enough to join us, and great conversation with him. Brett later, here's Matt Buddy. Yet another friend of the podcast, Matt Miller joins us. ESPN's Matt Miller. Matt did great work for us during the draft a couple of years ago, and it's a pleasure to have you back, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appreciate.
Speaker 4: It's still weird to, you know, hear the ESPN after your name, you know, like you dream of it as a little kid, that when it happened, you're like, wait, what okay, yeah, yeah, that is where I work.
Speaker 3: Now that's great fun. You're on TV every day. Yeah, we love watching. You know, we keep an eye on when the article's post. It's the top fifties, the mock drafts, the positional rankings. Matt does it all. And certainly, you know, as as Chris said, you know haven't worked with us. This is kind of some serious sizzle, maybe the most that we've had since twenty seventeen when the Charters moved to LA Yeah.
Speaker 4: No really, and I think especially since the quarterback draft for you guys, you know of like, hey, there's what are we doing at the top, you know, to be in an early pick and something I said you guys off airs, it's so great to have an early pick and have a great quarterback, Like very few people get that opportunity to be drafting early. But no, and we've got an all pro caliber quarterback that we're building around. He's young, he's you know, still relatively inexpensive, so you're still in that building window with a great young quarterback, but you have the luxury of not just in the first round, you have a luxury of early picks in every round. So it's gonna be fun to see how they build this out.
Speaker 3: At Joe Burrow Jamar Chase, I mean, that's what it was, right, he gets next thing, you know, there's Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: Now moving forward.
Speaker 2: You know, we've asked this, I think in a variety of different ways, and we probably will up until Draft day. But at number five overall, we talked about the flexibility that the Chargers have stick and pick blue chip guy, whether it's a tackle or a wide receiver, or is there a fourth quarterback in this draft that a team's gonna fall in love with and maybe trade with the Chargers. So basically all lies are on JJ McCarthy absolutely right, is that the guy that yeah, we should be taking.
Speaker 4: Your head coach, is gonna do a great job of he already has, you know, like, this is the best quarterback in the draft. Yeah, I expect we're gonna hear a lot more of that out of la of Hey, this McCarthy kids, somebody better come get him. But really, though, someone might need to come up and get him, you know, because not only do you have to So let's say you're the Atlanta Falcons, you're at eight, you have to worry about someone jumping you if that's the guy that you're targeting. You know, if you're the Minnesota Vikings at eleven, same thing. You know, every team eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen could draft a quarterbacks, so you have to have that in your mind of Okay, maybe we have this guy ranked in the teams, which is where I have him number seventeen overall, but you have to worry about someone jumping you. And so I do think for Charger fans, yes, coach Harball has done a very good job of singing the praise of JJ McCarthy, who only lost one game for him, by the way, in college, so he was very accomplished there. But also, you know, I know the hardball's convicted about how great JJ is. But also it wouldn't hurt you guys at all for someone to fall in love with him.
Speaker 1: Does he get a test, well, yeah, he's gonna test.
Speaker 4: Well. It's also great because you know he's the only guy top guy testing and so you don't have that apples to apples comparison. Last year we got to watch CJ. Stroud, Will Levis and Anthony Richson throw like boom boom boom. It was like, oh wow, this is fun. I can compare these guys. For me, I'm sitting in the stands like this is the greatest thing ever. You know, I get to just watch this play out in front of me. This year, because we don't have Kayla Williams, Jayden Daniels or Drake May throwing, it's a big opportunity for j J. McCarthy to not only say I'm competitive unlike those other guys who don't want to do this, which is what I would be saying if I were him, but also I'm not afraid to spin it. And he does have a big arm, he does have good mobility, so I think he's gonna impress a lot of people.
Speaker 3: What about it? Is there another quarterback? I mean, you know, you look at Bonix is certainly accomplished. Like what else, what else could maybe throw you know this thing I guess in the Chargers favor where that number five pick becomes that value. Is it just that one guy or could you see somebody else?
Speaker 4: I think he's just that one guy. I like Bonnicks a lot, and it's fun because we've watched him play sixty one games up to this point. He's experienced, He's put everything you need to see on tape.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he's necessarily to me like a quote unquote workout warrior type guy. But he is a good athlete. He does have a good arm. He's a gamer, you know, he's a lights on type player. So I don't think we could see anything that could potentially push him into that top five. But I can remember saying that about Daniel Jones here and he went six overall. So crazy things happen when teams need quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: We always hear from teams, you know, we draft the best player. We draft the best player, regardless of position. When you look at the top of this draft class and obviously take quarterback out of it. With the Chargers, it seems like the best players are these three wide receivers. Is that fair to say even ahead of these maybe four tackles who I think people have in different order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: So my number one player kill Williams. Take him off the table right as you said. Number two is Marvin Harrison Junior. Number three Lake Never's number four roam with Donesday. That's my board is the top four players, you know. And so those receivers are great, and you can evaluate them individually, they would all be a number one receiver in almost every draft class, you know, outside of like having Jamar Chase, you know, in a draft class, or Calvin Johnson, Like they're that talented of players to where I put a ninety eight on Marvin Harrison Junior, and I even like doubted myself, like that is a big grade to give a player. Then I turn around put a ninety six on Neighbors and a Doosday. So it's like, either I'm just in a great mood this year, or these guys are the good players. But you know, everyone I talked to kind of says the same thing, like, gosh, there's not a whole lot of holes in their game, and they're ready made to produce in the NFL as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the you know, one of the things that jo Ortis said for at the you know, at the lectern yesterday was it's a deep wide receiver class.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, Chris and I have been talking about it this whole week of I'm reading into that as him saying, I know you want the next Larry Fitzgerald, but it's a deep class. We can still get a guy that is going to contribute to this team in a big way in the second or third round.
Speaker 1: Is that absolutely to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think we'll see where the run happens. You know. To that point, a lot of the teams of the back end of the first round need wide receivers. Kansas City, as you guys know, sure scary proposition, but they need a wide receiver. Baltimore is in that mix. They could draft a wide receiver. We'll see what San Francisco does with the soon to be expiring contract for Brandon Ayuk. They could be in that market as well. So it is a deep wide receiver class. I'll be very curious to see where the run happens on Thursday night in Detroit. And the guy that you want to watch is Brian Thomas junior from LSU. If he goes in the top fifteen of the runs happening. Yeah, if he goes maybe like twenties. Okay, wait, we've got some talent that's still gonna be on the board. So that'll be the domino effect for you guys to watch if wide receiver isn't the first pick.
Speaker 2: I go back to the draft when the Falcons moved up to get Julio, and it was a big jump realizing that all three of these guys are the top of your board and the depth of the class. Could you see a team saying, you know what, I like Brian Thomas, I like Franklin, but I really want to get neighbors. I really want to get room with Dunesay, and I'm gonna move up in order to get him. Basically, is is it just not quarterback at five that somebody could move up and get a get a wide receiver atsel?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean I think, you know, even for New England at three, they have to have those conversations of hey, maybe we don't want to draft the quarterback here just yet. What about somebody who wants to come up and get a marquee wide receiver? You know whomever that might be, you know, whether it's the Giants or the Titans or the New York Jets. We could run down the list of teams that haven't eed at wide receiver. So absolutely, I think these guys are talented enough. Last year we saw a team move up to three to draft a defensive end and they gave up historic value to do that. So I think when when teams fall in love with the guy and they identify him as the player, you know, you go get him. And wide receiver has become one of the most important positions in football by virtue of how much they're paid, how impactful they are, So I do think you can make an argument.
Speaker 1: For that, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's it's interesting because you think about what we what many people thought the Texans were going to be, what they end up being, and now you look at what the draft capital that was surrendered. It's a late first rounder, not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you feel a little better, right, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Wondering if a lot of that was because they looked to the twenty twenty four draft and if they did, in fact, say, I don't know, if it's a great edge class, let's get Will Anderson right now. How does that line up this year? Like the Chargers need to fix that offensive line. Yeah, is this wait, I'm not asking. I know it might be way too early to ask about twenty twenty five, but it does seem like this is a special year for tackles to get one of those in this first year.
Speaker 4: This is especially a specially year, especially special for right tackles, which is what you guys need. And I think that's what makes you interested. Because Joe Alt from Notre Dame and o Fashano from Penn State are college left tackles. They could probably play on the right side like a Pina swool and be really good. But then you get to that next tier of tackles, they're all right tackles. Tealise Fluaga Oregon State only played right tackle. JC Laitham Alabama, Marius Mems Georgia Tyler Guiding from Oklahoma, like, these dudes only played right tackle. So I think that is what's interesting about this class is Yeah, we could see seven tackles go in the first round. What's really notable about that is five of them might be right tackles, whereas normally you would say, you know, like DeShawn Slater left tackles are going left tackles, but that right side has become so valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had Lance on earlier this week and we talked about just how there's a lot of different opinions on who the best tackle is. Who's the best fit you think for the Chargers when you take into account Rashawn's on the one on the left side already right tackle Jim Harball, or they want to run the football, who do you think is the best fit?
Speaker 4: So I would still say Joe Alt from Notre Dame, even though he was a college left tackle. He's six foot eight, he's enormous, He could play on the right side, and he's not gonna surrender any of that power that you traditionally want to have. So I think, all if you stay at five and you say, okay, we're going to tackle Jim Harball, we're running the football, I think Joe Walt is the guy Fashanu to me, the run game was where he actually struggled the most this year on tape, which is why he went from someone preseason we were talking about.
Speaker 1: Maybe a top five pick.
Speaker 4: Now it's maybe you know that that range might be seven to twelve now because of some of the run game problems?
Speaker 1: What what do you think happens with Brock Powers Man?
Speaker 4: I love if you asked me to just say, who are the five best football players in this draft, he would be on that list. But because he's a tight end, he probably comes off the board more in like the fifteen range. And I know he was popular to the Chargers in some mock drafts, and we all know Harball's history with tight ends.
Speaker 5: Loves him.
Speaker 4: But you got you gotta also think about asset management and how much you know you're passing up wide receivers, left tackle or right tackles, pass rushers, corners for a tight end. That's a hard argument to make and so monetary even Yeah, and also like in the importance of the position, you know, especially when you know Travis Kelcey was not a first round pick, George Kittle was not a first round pick, Mark Andrews not a first round pick. Even Sam Laporta was not a first round pick. So I think it's easy to look at that spot and say, you know, like I love Rock Bowers, but what about Jatavian Sanders from Texas? Are they are they thirty picks different on our board? No, like they're not. They're the range is not that big, so you would like to value better in the second round than in the first at that position.
Speaker 2: Corners in age, I like this Jesse min Or defense. They're gonna have to replenish some of these positions. Probably too early to take a corner or an edge player at five. Yeah, if you trade back or maybe early second round, who are some of the corners that you like in that spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I will sit Terry on On from Alabama. I love, Like I've done mock drafts recently.
Speaker 1: We're at five. I'm like, maybe.
Speaker 4: Maybe because he's that good, so he's he would be in that mix. But I think when you get into the second round, it's which corners fall is really the important question, because I think that's what's gonna happen, is someone like a lastedter from Georgia could fall, you know, to that range. Because ns Rake Straw and Quinyon Mitchell have pushed themselves up, that's gonna slide guys back to where Akkulid McKinstry could be available at the top of the second round, just because not because he's done anything wrong, just guys have pushed up ahead of him.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's we're talking about wide receivers, tackles, quarterbacks. Do you think we're gonna see like incredible value on the defensive side of the ball just because of how important offense has become and how expensive offenses has become.
Speaker 4: You know, like Dallas Turner from Alabama is a really really good pass rusher. I think in most years we would say you draft that guy five and don't worry about it. Now it's he might be there in the teams because of how much teams are loading up on offense. Also how much talent there is this year on offense. But there could be you know, we might only see one defensive tackle drafted in the first round. There's gonna be great detackle value in round two. We might see four edge rushers in the first round. Like think of what that does you know in that value in the second round and linebacker and safety we will not see a first round or I feel comfortable about.
Speaker 1: But you need depth at those spots.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't know what the future is some of those you know, veteran players of those positions for you guys, So looking at second round, third round, there's gonna be really really good value in the middle of the defense man.
Speaker 2: I think one of the hesitations with wide receivers because Quintin Johnson was selected in the first round last year and you want to make sure that, hey, he can develop and.
Speaker 1: We're not sure if he's going to be a wide receiver one or two.
Speaker 2: Based on what you saw on film and how you evaluated him, what do you think his sophomore season will break. Do you think he can get his confidence back and Jim Harbaugh can can do some things to make him effectively.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, And I also think, you know, having Justin healthy for the whole year is a big part of that as well. You know, going going from one quarterback to another is significant that that's an adjustment, and so that's my hope. You know, my evaluation of him at TCU was there's a lot of drops, and that was my big concern, you know with him, was how's he going to clean up the drops because they showed up consistently. And also the fact that you know, he got quiet against good teams at times, especially down the stretch in their playoff runt. So I think that's just the key of we knew he was a developmental player like that was the word on him. It is making it make sure you get that confidence back. And having someone like Jim Harball believe in you, I think is going to help any young player who can say like, hey, I was the coach at Michigan we played you. You know like I've seen what you can do. Let's let's figure out how to get that guy back.
Speaker 3: Well, you're busy, we know what. We certainly appreciate you you stopping by. Maybe we'll have a return engagement. We can get into fullbacks because I think we need.
Speaker 4: I love fullbacks and I'll tell you anytime you guys need me to come to LA, I will make that sound guy yes, and come and sit on the beach and we can talk football.
Speaker 1: Matt Miller, thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Another friend of the show, Brett Coleman, who does great work for the Chargers, the NFL and just the league in general.
Speaker 1: Man's good to see you at the combine. This is my first one, believe it or not, is it really? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I had no idea what this.
Speaker 1: Whole week was. All right, So what did you do last night? What did we start there?
Speaker 5: Of course, high velocity, that's the spot to be It's kind of like this bar is attached to JW. Marriott and then everybody just seems to end up Prime every single night, and so I ended up there just to see the massive humanity and it's a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Name somebody in the NFL and they're probably there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly until three am because this thing. Now that the NFL has been kind enough to push everything back, you know, we used to have to get here at like six am and stuff would get rolling at eight nine. Now that everything's in prime time and it starts at three o'clock, I mean, Prime is just it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, events should be done at Prime.
Speaker 3: Completely completely changed the game, it is. It's funny though, Brett, as someone you know, you you obviously are are ready for the draft already, you're ready for the combine. You've broken down a million of these prospects. It's interesting that the coaches aren't there yet. They're still like they are still in warm up mode. Hey, we're just getting to know who these players are. It's it's interesting how this is all of the preparation that scouts in front offices have done for the last six months and the coaches are now just getting their first introduction to all of these players that will probably have their fortunes, their future fortunes in their hands.
Speaker 5: I think the best teams at drafting are the ones who handle that kind of second wave of opinions the best, where you know, these scouts are not just working on these guys for all of last season, but you know when they're freshmen, when they're sophomores, you know, even at this point through multiple transfers, you know, like they're doing cross checks for years on these kids, and then the coaches kind of sometimes get in the process in the last six months. And the teams that are most successful are the ones that can marry all the work that was done over the last few years with the coaches coming in and saying, but I prefer this for this spot and here's why. And the coaching staves that are able to translate what they want better to the scouting staves are the ones who draft the best because the scouting scafs the scouting STAPs and then like go through all their notes and kind of be like, Okay, well, if you need this exact skill set, this is actually the guy we want in the third round instead of the one in the first round. Then we can kind of come up with like a better package of players that fit with our coaches. The Chargers, I think are actually in a very unique position because Jim knows all these these guys. He was working the portal, like he was recruiting these guys. You know, he's eighteen kids here from Michigan. So, like, I think the Chargers have a potential to kind of pull like an early twenty ten Seahawks where Pete came in right, and he knew all these kids, and you know, he took Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays. He just had it. But that's that's real, right, That's real. And so Jim's one of the few head coaches in the NFL now that is not just coming into this.
Speaker 1: Class right now.
Speaker 5: He's he's been on this class since before they were even in college. So the Chargers have an opportunity here, and I think they will ultimately have a phenomenal draft just because they have that institutional base that nobody else does.
Speaker 2: We get so hung up on five for good reason. I think a lot of our conversation starts with what are the Charges going to do at five? And I think there's a split among fans some fantasy like, hey, we don't need a receiver. We just drafted one in the first round. We have Keenan Allen Mike Williams fan. Now, you know, we'll figure out what happens with the cap, but can you just kind of put into context why we're talking about the wide receivers at five, because those are the best players overall I think in this draft. You know, defensive tackle is something I think we need to talk about among charges fans, corner a number of different positions. But the reason we're so hung up on the wide receivers at five is because those are the best players in this draft.
Speaker 1: They are like full stop there.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously Marvin Junior is incredible, and Rome is amazing, and obviously in the Laigue neighbors, I would even I would consider brock Bowers in that kind of tier of just pass catcher. We're just talking about weapons, right, But at the same time, I think a pitfall that's snuck up on me. I don't know, I can't speak for you guys, but at least it snuck up on me our last couple of years, where you know, we go in it every year and we're like, oh, man, I really like this Chargers roster. They got a top tier quarterback, they got left tackle. When the receivers are healthy. You know, we like the receiver. We like all the weapons, right, they got a pass rushing trio that we like. So you got the meat and potatoes, but you don't have the veggies. Like the rest of the roster was just it was not deep enough to sustain through the rigors of an NFL season. And I think if you're looking at what to do at five, yes, you could get another pass catcher and that would make us all feel good and you know, it'd be awesome to go through highlights and just get excited about that. Is it gonna help you stop Isaiah Pacheco in December?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: Is it gonna help you try to cover DeVante Adams?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: Probably not. And that's kind of what the actual problems are, not to mention, like, this is a team that's gonna be going, that's gonna be making a lot of financial decisions over the next couple of weeks. They need picks, they need cheap talent, they need a volume of talent, kind of similar to what we what we've seen with other teams where you know, we saw Indy have like fourteen picks last year. You know we saw the Rams have fourteen picks like that. That's what the Chargers need. They need picks, They need guys because one guy is not going to fix everything, and I ultimately that's why I advocate for a trade down. Honestly, the Holy Grail scenario is a double trade down where like, hey, let's say a quarterback sitting there at five, we ransom him off to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got JJ McCarthy's sitting.
Speaker 5: There at eight, and I know Jim's loves JJ McCarthy, so he knows that teams are gonna watch j.
Speaker 1: You're just thinking Jaden slips to five.
Speaker 5: If Jaden slips to five, trade down, trade down again to like eleven, just get picks.
Speaker 1: Do you think Jayden slips to five?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think Washington can afford not selecting a quarterback.
Speaker 5: So I if I had to guess, and again I have no inside knowledge on this quarterback at one, quarterback at two, and then Marvin is just so good. I think he goes three, and then Arizona's going to be open for business at four, But that could be Drake ba three, it could be or I mean, any of the top three quarterbacks. One's gonna be Kleb. But like, I think Arizona is gonna be open for business, and I think the Chargers to be open for business because both teams just need picks really bad.
Speaker 3: I just can't envision him making it to five. I think that's the thing. Like, I get what you're saying that New England could just feel like this is Larry Fitzgerald Part two. It's Marvin Harrison. Think about what he meant to that franchise, So we'll take him. But then I would just assume if you're Arizona, you'd probably want to trade down right to take advantage of it.
Speaker 5: I would, unless they have just an astronomical grade any of these receivers, Yeah, which they might, Yeah they might, you know, because these guys are better than you know, the most receivers that have come out.
Speaker 1: That the thing.
Speaker 3: And this is the first time we brought it up third day, but I think you just you phrased it so perfectly bright it it kind of made it click for me. The reason why you want to trade down repeatedly with this particular team right now is just look what they did at Michigan you're talking about and look, I'm not saying they weren't getting a top twenty class, but they're not Ohio State, they're not Alabama. They're taking a lot of three star kids and they got eighteen of them here. This is a staff that knows how to develop. So you want more fourths, more fifths, more six because of how good they are. Those are still four star kids they're getting drafted into the NFL. Yeah, just how good they were at developing talents didn't really click until you just said that, Like, hey, get ten twelve picks because this coaching staff is incredible. Ben Herbert is incredible at turning three stars into five stars by the time he's done with them.
Speaker 5: Not to mention, like we had the conversation about, Hey, this coaching staff knows this draft class better than anybody else.
Speaker 1: Why not weaponize that. Why not let them the year to do it. This is the year to do it.
Speaker 5: They know all these guys, So the hit rate, if we go for a high volume strategy, the hit rate for the Chargers will be higher than any team in the NFL that tries to do the same thing because they know all these guys. So use that to the advantage. You know, go get you know, a pass rusher out of Colorado State named Mo Kamara who's second and pressure is in the entire college for like you can you can get him in the third round. And they know this guy, right, they've seen him for years, like they recruited him. So like that's that's what I'm advocating for. Like, you want as many second and third round picks in this class as you can possibly get, and I think they're gonna try to do that.
Speaker 2: Defensively, Let's go back to the just the lines, right, because when Minter was at Michigan, he had Hutchinson a Java one year and then those guys leave and then they really relied on guys like Mason Graham and Chris Jenkins. When you look at the Chargers line. Now, we don't know what's gonna happen with Joey and Khalil. We know two leaves in tow. Defensive tackle is kind of bear right now in terms of like top level starters. How do you attack that position both in free agency and the draft, Because there's some good defensive tackles in this draft, but it's just not as top heavy as I think in pastures.
Speaker 1: I think for.
Speaker 5: Once you get past like the first five or six guys, you know there is a there is a drop off, right, I mean it's top five to six with like a lot like Byron Murphy is super explosive. Uh, Newton's not gonna work out, but like he's a freak. But once you get past that, there is a shelf and there's only so many guys in like the third to fifth round range that that you feel good about. By the way, Christian Boyd Northern Iowa, keep an eye on him. He's not here at the Combine. He was at Shrine Bowl. He was one of the best players on the field and like every team was hold on, who's that right? So, but he's like the only one in that range. He's like the only one where hey, if we miss out on the top, we can come back. And so I kind of feel like that's one of the position groups where we use free agency for other stuff and we use draft for defensive tackle because if we're gonna hit it, we got to hit it early. We won't have a second chance. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is about those players that we always have this you know he's gonna go on the third round. I remember what Tron Arms said, lit up the combine and everyone said, oh wow, that guy just worked himself into the third round. It's like, if everybody's decided he's going in the third round, draft him in the second. If everybody decided that man hurts is gonna be this great interior alignment, draft him at the back end of the first or the like. That's it always surprises me that we have these conversations about these players we attach around. Cooper Cup was tied to the Rams in like the third or fourth round. Forever, go take them in the second. Like, I don't understand how we these guys get stuck with these labels and everyone just lets them sit there, and then five years later we say, why wasn't that guy taken in the first round?
Speaker 1: Everybody had a high grade on them. It's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 5: You know what it is, It's the Dunning Kruger effect, And if you're not familiar with what that is, it's basically like a curve of how much you know. It directly impacts your confidence in how much you know, and then so you kind of start out super confident when you first know something and then you start to know a little bit more than you realize how little you know, and then you become like a master towards the end, but you still don't have any confidence. And I feel like when it comes to the draft, we all we all have that where we start out it's like, oh, I don't know, just draft all the good players right right, And then you kind of get to the bottom of the curve and you're trying to do like value hunting, and it's like, oh, no, I have to wait twenty more picks to get this guy to match up with you know, whatever the numbers tell me his value for a certain position.
Speaker 1: Pff grade will be too low if I take him here.
Speaker 5: And then you bomb and then eventually you get back. You know, maybe just draft the good players, Like we all end where we start. And I'm at that point now where it's like, Hey, if a dude pops on film and he tests really well and he interviews very well, he's probably going to.
Speaker 3: Be a good player. Yeah, just draft him and figured it. Yeah, Like Lance brought it up yesterday about the center at Penn State. He's like, Oh, this guy's going to go on the fourth fifth ro awesome, And I was like, well, why is he going in the fourth fifth round? If you're telling me he's destroying Newton in their game and just threw him around like a rag doll, well then maybe he should go on the second round.
Speaker 2: You know, guy, you look at the rankings, he's not even like in the top ten of centers in a lot of you know, analyst rankings. It's just it's just funny how things change. Opinions are very different, and then it's going to be like that all the way up until the draft.
Speaker 5: The exact same thing happened with the same position at the same school last year with Juwe Scruggs, where he went to the Shrine Bowl and everybody's like, I don't really know much about Jewice Scruggs, and like we interviewed him on our podcast and he's incredibly smart, and then he you know, tests out of his mind because of course he's Penn State. And then he goes in the second round. Nobody's like, where'd that come from? And it's like, cause he's good. Yeah, that's what happens, Brett.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 2: You just had I think a video on Brian Thomas from LS seventeen touchdowns last year, so his production was insane. We've talked so much about the guys up top, but another name that we haven't talked about Lad McConkey. He gets he's getting a lot of love as well, and maybe he's in that early second range.
Speaker 1: I don't know, late first who knows.
Speaker 5: I think he's firmly in play for like the first five picks of day two, Like he's gonna be one of the names where the night after day one, you know how there's always like a scramble of like people trying to reposition everything like that, he's gonna be one of the names that I think people reposition for, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a very good receiver class. But as far as just separators.
Speaker 5: Like if you need just somebody who's gonna get open, Like, hey, it's third and seven, we're seeing one rat the newke Keenan Allen. Yeah, put up her, shut up, go get open. Right, that's him. And there's not as many of those in this class as you think. Right, there's a bunch of high weight speed guys, like there's post up guys, there's yak machines like Malachai Corley, But in terms of just hey, it's man coverage, Go get open. He's one of like five that I feel good about, and.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's McConkie and Wilson are the two that everybody is sort of talking about as the go get open, which to me, I feel like as expensive as wide receivers are, and we can remember who we were talking about it with yesterday, but just kind of like, where's the run that there you could end up maybe they're not going to be there on day two, that you could just end up having that back end of the first round run or in that twenties like we had last year, right where it went Smith and Jigba, Johnston, Flowers and Addison, Like when the run comes for that, it just feels like that's a position where there's always a run.
Speaker 5: I'll give you a couple of names for down the board guys that I think would be good complimentary weapons for what the Chargers have right now. Malik Washington, receiver out of Virginia. He's a transfer. In this last year over fourteen hundred yards, led the nation in almost everything.
Speaker 1: He is a monster.
Speaker 5: He's like five nine five, so he's gonna dip just because of size, but like I say, short but not small, Like he's rocked.
Speaker 1: Up, he's physical, he's great after the catch.
Speaker 5: He's a I again talk to him for fifteen twenty minutes just going through film, talking about he's super smart, very well trained. He's a pro's pro already, like he checks so many boxes. He just happens to be five to nine. And so he's gonna go somewhere again and probably the third to fourth range. But he's gonna play for eight years and he's gonna be a fan favorite because he's one of those guys where hey, it's third and seven, co get open right, Like he's gonna get open right?
Speaker 1: What about speed guys?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: So you know, I think that's been the biggest I think issue that you know, when fans watched the team, it's like, okay, well, you know Mike was hurt and then Jalen Geiton got hurt, and you know there were so many speed guys on this team, Darius Davis, but you know you didn't really use him in that role. Who are some guys who could just stretch the field and really maximize Justin's arm?
Speaker 5: Roman Wilson I think is gonna roll. I'd say sub four four Taj Washington the other Washington for USC. I love that kid. Again, he's a smaller frame, but I think he's gonna end up being like a Taylor Gabriel type, you know, where it's like he's the number three where if you need a chunk, he can get a chunk. Great contested catcher, by the way, for his size, like over sixty percent contest to catch eight for a guy his frame is not normal.
Speaker 1: Great tracker of the ball. Again, very smart.
Speaker 5: I think Justin and him would get along very well and develop chemistry very well because he played with somebody with Caleb who had similar arm talent where especially deep down the field, it's more about reading safeties and running to a spot that it is about running a route how it's drawn up. And he's very smart post snap in terms of understanding where to get and reading a safety the same way as quarterbacks and read safety.
Speaker 1: And he's just really could happen.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, and you know we're asking so many wide receiver questions because that's what we get peppered with. And I get it. You have Justin Herbert. You want to see, you want to maximize that arm talent and that brain and that processor. But at the same time, like I like Josh Palmer. Josh Palmer's a good receiver. I love it, and it's yeah. So like for me, I'm like, Okay, well maybe new coaching staff, let's let's use quit in the right way. It sounds like sure as heck. Sounds like they're bringing Keenan back. I mean, if they didn't, it would be an incredible surprise based on what all the coaches said. I'd be stun so, you know, and I don't know what happens with Mike because of the injury and what's available out there for him. If you can have a conversation with him and the agents and try to see if you can make that work, because I can't imagine if they cut him loose what that market would look like. So to me, I'm like, they need tight ends, they need running backs, they need O line, they need D line.
Speaker 1: But the two.
Speaker 3: Positions, like the one position that we are not talking about nearly enough. They need corners. Man, this team makes corners for days. And that's what I'm trying to figure out. Like, it's too bad there isn't a sauce gardener or something like that at the top of the draft, because then you'd feel comfortable of, Okay, well they couldn't get the haul at five, but premium position, premium player, perfect match, let's go. And that's just not the case this year. They're going to be heavily linked to Terran Ardold.
Speaker 2: Right, he's on the fringe right of being in that top ten conversation.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves him in the first round.
Speaker 5: When you talk to different people, they all have different opinions about how high in the first round ultra talented. You know, he will go somewhere in the top twenty. I just don't know exactly how high. But because of the positional need and the fact that, like clearly he is a first round talent, they are going to be heavily linked to him. But if they go a different direction, let's say they go tackle, Let's say they do that double trade down Holy Grail and they get like Bowers at eleven, right, but they still have to address corner, the one that I am honed in on for the Chargers, ideally early on day two, because I think there's no way he goes late on tape to Ronaldo Green, Florida, State. One of the best pressman corners in all of college football. He went up against Malie Neighbors and Brian Thomas Junior in the in the first week and allowed combined on I think it's forty press coverage snaps against both of them. He allowed two catches for twenty yards against two guys that are gonna go in the top fifteen. He's phenomenal. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Joseph. Line him up in man coverage and just let him do his thing for an entire day, which is what they need, Like truly, they need a boundary pressman corner.
Speaker 1: He doesn't get.
Speaker 5: Talked enough about at all. I think he's a lock for top fifty. I would love him in LA.
Speaker 2: Just doing this exercise with you, it just makes you realize how many needs there are on this team in terms of just depth, right, and we lock in on one of the one or two positions. And I think that every exercise that we have, it's like, okay, if you get if you get a Duneesay at five and then you turn around you get Powers Johnson in the second round, Like that's a good job. But one now you need a corner of defensive tackle. So where's that coming from? So I guess my last question to you is, knowing that they're not gonna have a ton of money to spend a free agency, what are some potential discounts that you think are out there that makes sense for a Jim Harball team.
Speaker 1: For like free agents. Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh, man, See the corner market's about to get reset in a nasty way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Jerry's gonna get paid, Janel John's gonna get paid.
Speaker 1: And we already went down that road with j C.
Speaker 3: Jackson. Yeah, it's still paying them. Yeah, we got an eighteen million dollar corner on the team.
Speaker 5: I just feel like because the market, like you remember when Christian Kirk got paid and then all of a sudden every receiver is making ten million money worth the year before. I think it's about to happen with corner, Which is why I think, if anything, corner is what you draft, right because with the slotted contracts in the draft, corners about about to be one of those positions, probably one of the top three positions in the NFL where value for rookie contract is at a premium. I think tight end you can still work fairly cheaply in free agency. I feel like defensive tackle is something that, again depending on the role, if you're looking for a nose, if you're looking for a three, you might be able to either trade for a guy who's a team is trying to fix their own cap and so they're jettisoning. You can need a trade for a guy, or you can try to find like a mercenary deal, right, like a one year thing. Corner is not something I think is gonna that it's going to be reasonable financially to fix a free agency because of what the.
Speaker 1: Market's going to do.
Speaker 5: So that's I feel very confident they're going to draft one of the first two rounds because the money just makes too much sense.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, and I get it. I think, you know, we all are a product of our experiences. And when the Chargers drafted Zion, I was like, Okay, I get it. Tom was in Indianapolis. They never addressed offensive line, Andrew Luck got us block knocked off and it affected the team considerably. So do whatever you can to make sure the front's for it. But at the same time, it's like you got Truent McDuffie sitting right there, corner is a premium position. Yeah, so that's I mean, in all your research, Brett, is that a fair assessment that the teams that are best at drafting almost always draft premium positions with their first maybe two picks. It's always O line corner. It's that, and then we'll find our guard, our linebackers are safeties toward the back end. Because it just it feels like, maybe I'm crazy, but I just feel like the grades are so much closer at those positions that, yeah, the guy you're great on, a guy in the fourth round at linebacker is probably very similar to a guy that's going in the first round.
Speaker 5: I mean, I the NFL is littered with third round guards that made the Pro Bowl. Yeah, it is what it is, right, But like, corner is one of those spots. And again not to go too heavy on the financials, but that's one of those spots where you can get you know, dollars for production, crazy value receiver, quarterback, I would even say left tackle, right edge rusher, And.
Speaker 1: Those are the teams that are succes.
Speaker 5: Like it's not the premium positions are premium because of the finances behind.
Speaker 1: It, and so I struggle to believe they're gonna move.
Speaker 5: Away from that model that has been very successful around the league. Of hey, draft premium draft, the best players at premium positions, figure out everything else in a financially responsible way. Weaponize the fact that your coaches know this class so they know which guys to take and which guys to avoid. And then within two years everything's cleaned up financially. You have a deep, talented roster. You have one of the best quarterbacks I've ever seen in my life. We can go on a real run like they're gonna be fine. It's gonna take a couple of years, but they're gonna be fine. And I just want Chargers fans to realize that the best days are still ahead. You can be confident in that, but they're gonna have to do it the right way.
Speaker 1: It's good way to end it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna end it with this right because when we have someone that knows as much about the draft is Brett, it's fun to do this exercise. You have to take a Michigan player, Okay, you will take him where you have him slotted in that round, so you're gonna maximize value of I'm gonna get this guy in this round for this team, with this coaching staff, Which which one would you take? Which one do you think is maximized for you know, talent plus round.
Speaker 1: Value and give us offense and defense? Offensive defense? Okay?
Speaker 5: Chris Jenkins, Okay, I would say, is a do it all He's probably gonna be the third round, I would say, and I would feel comfortable there, do it all defensive lineman who he's He's played it a variety of different sizes of between.
Speaker 1: Do you think he'll be a third after this? After he puts on a show here? Oh that's true. He is about theball today. He's got to put this place unnoticed.
Speaker 5: But hey again, holy Grail, trade down if you have a late too or in business, right, But I I.
Speaker 1: Love Chris Jenkins.
Speaker 5: I think he's somebody who you could do some just unholy things with him and Tuley, moving them both around all the playing off to each other.
Speaker 1: Uh so on defense and then on offense.
Speaker 5: Cornelius Johnson, Michigan receiver, probably gonna go somewhere midday three. I would say, six round. He is a sleeper profile that reminds me a lot of another Michigan receiver, Nico Collins. Okay, six three four four speed, very athletic. He played a role and everybody, everybody that Michigan offense played a role that that did not did not give them the best box score. But when you throw in the tape, you're like, boy, he gets open a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: He he was their leading receiver by a mile on first and second down. Roman Wilson did a lot of the third down work. But in terms of you know, heavy play action. Take a shot down the field, like here's a here's a big dude that runs really fast and also is a very good route runner and he catches everything. Love that great contested catcher and also just a great kid.
Speaker 1: Great kid. Love talking to him. Cornelius Johnson.
Speaker 5: I think if if we're doing the receiver thing right, hey, six round, let's go, and this is the staff that's gonna do it because they know him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said, holy grow, you have all these picks, don't worry about receiver five.
Speaker 1: And then get guys like cornelis cho seven six yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Then we're gonna look up and he's gonna have forty catches for like seven hundred yards and be like, oh yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Check Justin Herberts's quarterback. Yeah, I'll take it, Brett. Awesome stuff, man, We know you're a busy man. Enjoy the rest of the week, you guys too, so Mondy, what a week.
Speaker 2: Uh so many great opinions and you learn so much about the draft and the combine and some players that frankly we haven't talked about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I learned. I learned you can't pour a vitamin C booster into a Celsius or else it'll explode like you drop a mento?
Speaker 1: Who did that?
Speaker 3: Harman b r Matt Brian decided to drop little This was feeling the effects maybe of a little bit of a late night there at the Kilroys for the I don't know third night in a row, and was like, you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna get one of these great Celsius drinks and I'm gonna put some vitamin C in it and then I'm gonna watch it explode all over. It's like pop rocks, like like pop rocks into a soda. So that's if you're asking you, it was my top takeaway from the week.
Speaker 1: That's it. There was a there was a put a vitamin C booster in anything but a bottle of water. There was a pedia LIGHTE situation.
Speaker 3: Earlier at this media light Yeah, yeah, we had. We had a lot of a lot of good action here in town along with our great football analysis. You know, I think we could do a fifth pod on everything around the combine.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: In draft, we've already we've already called out Carly and we've already we haven't mid mention of Tyler.
Speaker 1: Who's Who's probably he's given us the stink guy right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, Tyler's a warrior's he's He's someone who's gonna if you ask me, I got to put my money on one that's gonna be able to power through, like the one a M. And everyone's like, hey, should we call the uber? Tyler's like, nah, let's let's let's get one more.
Speaker 2: After the bar after the barbecue tonight, Tyler. I think if I could, it's gonna go late rounds.
Speaker 3: Whether or not this stuff gets edited out because Brian's in charge of it anyway, and I'm guessing it might. But if it doesn't, let me just make my case. I think this group needs to be sent to Detroit. I think they should be sent to Detroit for the draft. I think they should spend some time out there, and I think Monday, you got to get out there, get the the land, you know, work your way through a lot of the prospects and uh, you know, do some time, do some food tours, restaurants, and I'll say, do something similar that they did to here. Find a nice house, find a nice house right there in the city, and really get after it. That's what my takeaway is. It's a lot of inside, a lot of inside baseball part in the story.
Speaker 1: This is this is, this is where we're at because we're at the end of the.
Speaker 3: Week, exactly right the end of the week, and it was a great week and we appreciate all of you a lot of action around the pods and that's why we were able to come out here and do this and and get to visit with a lot of our friends that we typically see between you know, on our computer screens and not in person. It's always good to kind of catch up and grin and grip and hang out with people.
Speaker 2: And it's important for us to get you guys as much information as possible. Man, we know how much you love the Chargers and just to get different opinions from all around the country, different analysts and names to know as we.
Speaker 1: Get closer and closer to late April. So that'll do it. Anything else.
Speaker 3: I think next year, as I'm looking around and I see all the step in repeats for the for all that which is for those of you that don't know the term, it's the curtain that goes behind you, that that you have as a backdrop with your logo or your sponsor. I think if I could, if I could make the pitch to the Chargers next year, can we get a step and repeat And I'd like it to be just a portrait of Dave drinking the pedialyte Max. That's what I would like that I think is appropriate. That's that's what I would put on there. And that's all I got.
Speaker 1: I'm done. Final PSA, don't put vitamin C in a Celsius drink.
Speaker 2: You know that's just hot A hot tip from Indy that we'll bring to Southern California for Buddy.
Speaker 1: I'm Chris. This has been charges Weekly podcast, number four of the week.