Speaker 1: Foote Force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? This is rad with soft Rep Radio and I have a really cool episode today. But first, before I introduce my two guests, I want to tell you about soft rep dot Com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. That's right, we have a book club and we have put a lot of time and dedicate a lot of resources to showing you our book club. So go to soft reap dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. And also our merch man. We have really been happy sending you guys out this stuff. I've been getting tagged in it, so please keep doing that and also keep purchasing the merch It keeps us going. And we love the soft Rep mafia representing all around the world, so thanks so much for that. Now I have Guy McCarty junior, one of soft Rep editors, one of soft reps editors and masterminds behind the writings and things that you guys read, and and then today's guest is going to be Barry Cohen. Now, Barry comes from a background of watches, okay, time pieces, you know, things that you wear on your wrist, things that have changed so much in since the beginning of the railroad time Okay, where we click on the little you know, round dial to see how fast the train is coming or something. So Berry, welcome to our show and welcome pro Tech your company.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks so much, appreciate you having me today. Reed, nice to see you again.
Speaker 2: Also, guy, that's right, Now, let me just kind of step in here real quick. We all had a powwow at SHOT Show of twenty twenty four and linked up together. Right, that's right, yes, sir, And how was SHOT Show for you? Berry?
Speaker 3: Shot Show is by far our most important show for the type of watches we make, and the show was fantastic for us. One of the benefits of SHOT is you get to see people from around the world, and so we were able to open up and access different geographies that we didn't have yet, like the United Kingdom and Sweden and some push into Germany and some work in Latin and South America and Mexico, and so basically it was a good success for us.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, so let's go back a little bit. Okay, so we know protech. We've just dropped that. But let's go back to what got you into where you're at today. And is it my understanding that the glowing features that we all have all become accustomed to, like luminix right on the dials and on the faces of watches, that comes from your side of the brain.
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly certainly wasn't my invention. And if you said luminis and you were referring to Luminox, that was my that well, just happy to correct you this for the sake of accuracy. So, an old friend of mine, Richard Timbo, and I both founded the Luminox brand in nineteen eighty nine. And the thinking at that that's quite a while ago, huh. And the thinking at that time I had been looking for some type of technology to be able to sustain a brand, have a point of difference. And when I caught wind of this what I'm going to call enabling self powered loom technology, I thought we should put this into watches. We're already selling watches. Let's put it into watches. Create a brand for whom the highlight or the USB of the brand will be this self powered loom. And you know this had this had existed before us. It was of course, it was in night sights of guns, and it's been another application, compasses, and a number of different what I would primarily call military applications. And in fact, there were two watches out at the time, two brands. When I went to this physicist company in Switzerland to try and acquire this, there were two that were already making watches that were being supplied to the military. But my thinking, once again was why limit it. There wouldn't every consumer enjoy having this once again enabling technology. And that was the advent of Luminox. That's how we started it and it got off and running, and you know, luck plays a role. Rat We had a good idea, we were marketing it. We were already in tons of mail order catalogs with other products, remember that was the heyday of mail order back in the nineties. And we were at a trade show, was an outdoor retailer show, and we got lucky when a gentleman from the Navy Seals happened up on our booth and said, I've been looking looking for you for you guys, I've been looking for this technology, and if you'll make a watch for us, we're not going to buy that many, but then you can go tell the world that you supplied the Navy seals and maybe that will resonate. And that definitely did resonate, and that coupled with a heck of a lot of long workdays, got us to the point of having an established brand over a few years.
Speaker 2: That's awesome and and pretty incredible too, because you know, you're just out there and you're hustling and you're trying to make it and somebody has been seeking you out. That had to feel good to be seeked out for what you were making, right, I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to see what time it was? Or you know, obviously the lens static compass for my listener, if you're not familiar with what we're talking about, when you're looking at the old school compasses and you shine a flashlight on it, they glow and you can see the course, you see north and all the different you know, points one eighty three sixty on the compass. Well, that is also now inside of what we're talking about, the watches and for sealed to be able to see underwater right a clear like glowing what time it is or what direction? Right that's what we're talking about, yep.
Speaker 3: And the benefit of this, you know, there's been a lot. If you don't mind, I'll take you back in time a little bit and give you a little discussion, just to give you a little discussion basically about loom on time pieces. You know, very often wars. Nobody advocates for war obviously would rather not have them, but wars do beget new technologies and things come from that. And during World War One it was really the first time that risk watches were worn by men. Prior to that, the men wore pocket watches, and it was pretty obvious that if you're in the trenches and you're carrying your military gear, you don't really have another hand to be pulling a pocket watch out. So that was the advent of wearing watches on the risk for men, where they strapped the watch to the wrist. Now days they were using radium paint on the dials, and nobody knew at the moment that radium was such a noxious substance, and indeed many of the people working in the watch factories died young from radioactive poisoning. Sometime between World War One and World War Two, there was a move to tritium paint, and tritium is a harmless but still nuclear substance. Tritium paint became sort of the staple of luminous time for a number of years in I believe it's in the sixties, Superluminold late sixties super luminova came about, and that is today the staple of photoluminescent loom, and all looms out there are truly photo luminescent. And what does that mean. It means light has to hit that paint that's on the dial, the hands, and it activates or charges the illumination and it gives or emits a glow until it needs to be recharged with another external light source. That's the standard, and there are plenty that are very very good. The thicker you painted on a watchhand or a dial, you know, multi painting, multiprint, multiprint, the more material, the more light energy it can absorb, and therefore it can emit and give back for a longer period of time and brighter. And there are some that are so thickly painted that you can get a solid five hours of night loom reading capability with dark adapted eyes. We make some in other brands we have. But what we discovered here was really a breakthrough in that this is self powered loom, so it is not photoluminescence. It does not need light to hit the dial again, much like the gun sights that many of your listeners and viewers.
Speaker 2: Would know about.
Speaker 3: So this is really a completely different thing from the watches. There's a loom factory and then there's a watch factory, and this is Borisilica class tubes in micro sizes that are filled with a glue, then filled with a phosphor to make sure it lines the entire inner core of that vessel. Then it is taken to a vacuum machinery where heavy hydrogen WOIBH three, which is tritium, is pumped in in a gaseous form and is sealed with a CO two laser. Now, from the moment that tube is sealed, the tritium is emitting beta, and the beta causes that phosphor to fluoresce on its own NonStop for twenty five years. And so that's what we have in the Protec brand, It's what I had in the Luminox brand, and that's how you arrive at this once again enabling capability to be able to see time at a glance, no matter the light level, including complete darkness. Now, all of that's done at this laboratory. But then these tubes that are cut with a CO two laser, so you get a nice rounded edge on the tube ends. These tubes cut into the size for minute hands, for our hands, for the indices, for second hands, for the dial, bezel pit for a dive watch, and ten thousand tubes fits into a box about four inches by four inches by one inch, and that box is then shipped to the watch assembly facility where the tubes are attached to the dials attached to the hands, and then conventional watchmaking takes over from there. So I don't mean to wax on too much, but technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty amazing. And they're much smaller than a grain of like grain rice, very very small micro tubules, I believe it.
Speaker 2: Are mic Is it all? So you have a bezel and you have to put the the illuminescent of the loom technology on the bezel, on the second on the face and all that like, is that just done very delicately? Is that done by a machine? Is that done by a person?
Speaker 3: Well, A great deal of it is done by hand, but today they do have robotics that can place them onto the dials or on AI it's a robot but actually for our brand, they're all done by hand, okay, And part of it is we use different sized tubes, and some of those tubes aren't robotically placed. But to Guy's point, when you say micro, it really is micro. They're from three tenths of a millimeter to two thirds of a millimeter on the watch hands and on the different indusices there are bigger tritium tubes. In fact, our field watch uses tubes that are one point five by five millimeters as watch indices, and these are big rectangular tubes. Most of the tubes we use are cylindrical.
Speaker 2: It'd be cool to watch the process, you know, all the CO two laser cut up close, or seeing it put the tritium gas inside of it, or any of that kind of thing would be just magnificent to see. I love watch. I like the internal workings of watches. I like people opening them up on social media and working with their fingers on all of the different aspects of watch. So having this conversation is really like intriguing. It's really nerdy and uh, I'm sure that you know, there's so much that goes into it. Right, there's a cost to people putting things on that. There's a cost to that laser cut, there's a cost to you know, the four by four by one inch box shipping, the person that shipped it. Right, All this has to factor in to the watch. And so you know, now, guy, you got some watches, right, you were checking some of these out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I could, uh try to to get one into focus here and see how good my my camera is. See if it'll focus on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so that one right there, that's the Marine Corps.
Speaker 4: Right, that's the one from the Marine Corps. I absolutely love this case back.
Speaker 2: The ego globe and anchor has been embossed on the back of that or like that's raised, isn't it. Yes, that's it's raised.
Speaker 4: It's deeply raised. And way do you track?
Speaker 2: And that red that red band, that's some bling. Okay when I say bling, that pops. Okay, that's enough. It doesn't have to be golden diamonds USMC. That red band, guy, that looks good against your skin tone. It would look good against anybody's skin tone, especially in marines.
Speaker 3: Holy cow, so in the Marine collection beyond in the Marine collection, the USMC collection, we have nine models. One of them is a straight blackout because anytime we're in this type of watch, tactical style watches, you gotta have kind of a blackout look. And then we used four USMC official Pantone colors. We're not going to just pick a color out of the blue. We use their colors that include a dark blue, the bright red military green, and a desert sand kind of color. So and in those instances, those four models can be had either with those accent colors on the dole and on the rubber grip of the crown. We add a rubber grip to the crown for tactile purposes with a charcoal strap, or you can have it with a color coordinated trap, which is what guy was showing.
Speaker 2: You have you always just loved watches? Is this your thing? You know?
Speaker 3: Somebody asked me that just the other day. I was on a blog with govex about this and they asked, well, how did this all happen? And I started to reflect it. I realized that my parents gave me a time X when I was ten, and I really you know, and I remember that I'd go to school in fifth grade with my little TIMEX on, and most of the kids weren't a watch. You know, most kids don't wear a lot really.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: When I was thirteen, my family took us on a little Caribbean cruise, and you know, on the cruise you can buy duty free stuff, so lower price, and my folks bought me, believe it or not, a Universal Zenev Chronograph. But it was thirty five bucks, you know, I mean we're talking a long time ago. Today that would be thousands something thousands probably, And I love that watch, and so I wore that like for special occasions. But and this story kind of came out that a bunch of us high school kids we went to visit a friend of mine's girlfriend at some summer camp and we're going to spend a couple days up at this place. And so one night we all went to to this country club swimming pool and hopped the fence and snuck in to go skinny dipping in this pool, and all of a sudden, we heard the police were coming, and so we all had to run out, grab our clothes, grab our stuff, and we're running across the fairway and police are shining lights on our naked butts as we're running across the airwork. But unfortunately I lost my watch that night, and so that's when watches started for me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah wow, So yeah, so young age, I mean, you're in your fifties now, is that right?
Speaker 3: I wish now I'm considerably older. I mean, you got to think that I did a lumanox for twenty seven years and I've been out of there for seven years, so I'm back. And I just figured before I get to be too.
Speaker 2: Old, did you Vietnam was in your Was that in your line of sight when you were growing up?
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly was happening when I was growing up. My draft number was fourteen, but the draft was stopped at number eleven of my year as it happened, So I certainly would have been drafted. But I didn't get drafted, and I never had to serve. But you know, I have immense respect for anybody that did. Because enlist these, of course is one thing, but even the people that weren't enlisted, and uh, and we're drafted and didn't maybe didn't even want to go, but it ended up going. Uh, you know, you got to have a lot have a lot of empathy, of course, serving our country, but you got to have a lot of empathy because, as we all know, a lot of people didn't come back, and many that did come back came back less than whole. And so how can you not support those you know, that that sacrificed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you probably have that inside of you as well, because I mean you are helping, you know, outfit seal teams with technology that can help them.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't work with seal teams at this moment. I still have plenty of Navy Seals that are friends from the old days. Sure, because you know the the USMC and excuse me, the US Navy Seal program was part of my former brand. But today, as as you guys both already discussed, we do a watch that's tied to the United States Marine Corps instead. And if you want to know how that came about, I'm happy to tell.
Speaker 2: You, Yeah, that is a good question. How did that get to be the USMC's Marine Corps that guy is wearing which is red and popping off of his wrist in the video if you're watching.
Speaker 3: Blinky, as you said, yes, so while we were doing the Luminax. While running Lumnax, we ended up in a meeting with the folks from the Marines. The guy that had worked with me from worked with me for sixteen years, worked at my former brand for nineteen years, kind of my right hand guy, and as dependable as anyone could ever be. He was a marine, so you know, we're a marine, always a marine. And he had brought these people in and we had a discussion and we thought long and hard about it. They asked, would you like to have a marine program as well? And again nothing but respect for all branches of the Armed services, but we thought at the moment it might dilute the message or marketing message for the other brand, so politely declined. You know, i'd been when I sold my shares in Luminox at late sixteen, I had another watch company, so I was still making watches, a variety of different watches. And so this fellow that worked with me was in touch with the folks from the Marines. And I got a call one day, a couple of comments the words on the street, we're here, You're back in Tritium tactical watches, and I said yes, and then extremely complimentary. His next line was if you're doing it, we want it, and he said, give me a give me a week or so to speak to the people here and I'll come back to you. And it took just about a month, but then we had a program put together and we were underway on developing the USMC series. That's just one series within the brand. We we have four series at present, so that's one of the four series. And we also have quite a few new things in the hopper coming this year, automatic mechanical watches using a Saiko twenty four jewel movement bracelets, solid link bracelets for our steel dive watches, and solid titanium braces for our titanium field watches. And one of the automatic mechanicals will also be a collection of USMC watches.
Speaker 2: I love that. And so where would we be able to find more information about your series of watches and the collection? Is it like protech dot com? Is that the website or what's your website?
Speaker 3: Actually the website is protechwatch dot com. And I always have to or I always try to spell it so because people could spell tech different ways. So that's p R O t e K watch dot com. And there you'll be able to see the full range presently. Of course the new things are not photographed.
Speaker 2: Yet, right, and so this is someplace that my listener can go check out. You know, you can go scroll around see the probably the history of his watches and check them out. They're they're very cool. I got to see them in person, and I got to see a lot of them at Shots and I really enjoyed walking around Shot Show. And it's it's meetings like where we bump into each other or introduced through guy and his guys like rad you should go over and check out his his booth and boom, we go over there. And now you're on you know, you're you're able to talk about your story and and let our listener know about it and and hopefully it just brings positive success to your your new what should I say, shutting of your skin? Now you're.
Speaker 3: A guy has seen us before at the Shot Show, and it was great to see him come back and visit us. And as you saw how we're developing. I guess he mentioned he mentioned you to me, and I guess he mentioned us to you. Yes, And then lo and behold, the next day you happened upunt our booth and I thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to meet you. See, you were talking to some big wigs. You had the president of Smith and Wesson hanging out at your booth when I came over. We even got a picture and put it up on the internet. Was that right, Yeah, yeah, he's he's the chairman, Oh chairman, Yeah, excuse me, chairman s Wesson.
Speaker 3: And he's a very nice man.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You know I met him the year before at the Shot show once again, and you know I made a comment to him, which I meant sincerely. I told him, you know, I had just come from the scuba diving show a few months earlier, and it made me reminded me of at that show. You know, at any show, you meet a lot of people. And at that show, I happened to meet a man who started DAN, which is divers Alert Network. And you know, most of the people at the show were dressed in school, you know, thinking casually, tire and this guy shows up that you know, he's at the booth and beautifully dressed in a suit and tie and very eloquent and very dignified. And I made the comment to an associate that I said, you know, at every show you meet one person who's really obviously a really classy individual, and that was that guy at the school at the dive show. And then I felt the same way about this gentleman from Smith and Wesson, and so I made that comment to him. I said, you remind me of this other guy, and here you are obviously a distinguished gent It's a pleasure to meet you. And so he ended up coming back to our booth this year a couple of times and we have some nice conversations and he happens to love what we do. So it's always a pleasure to see him and happy to have a watch on his wrist if he's if he's interested, and we go from there. But yeah, you got a chance to meet him. It's a nice man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Now, guy, what do you think about it? You're wearing the watch? Tell me what it feels like.
Speaker 4: It is extremely comfortable. I love this strap, rubber strap. You can be able to tell I have pretty big risk. I have about a seventy three quarters interest and there's plenty of like extra on the watch.
Speaker 2: I want that red rap on the on the crown. That would be awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Truly sets it off. Yes, and the wave pattern on the back, if you guys can can see that, there's a.
Speaker 2: Reason it's to put a watch together. Berry, Like, what does it take from you know?
Speaker 3: Well, the process is what I referred to it as multi iterative, multi inerative because it goes back and forth. When I said out, can I back up and I'll bring you right to that?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 3: You know, as I mentioned to you, I've been doing other watches, but I sort of had this yearning, I guess, to get back to this space. This for all intentsive purposes, this space was my career with my former brand, and I sort of missed making the type of watches I always loved making, designing and making. And I thought, you know, as I said to you before, before I get to be too old here, maybe I should take one last stab at it and our brand ethos. That started with a clean sheet of white paper at the top of the page. We just wrote two things, no excuses and no compromises. And that's how we were going to build this brand. You know, anything I did before, I always had partners and it was collaborative. Sure you want this, you want that? And I found that we were very often cutting corners or just things that I wasn't yet really one hundred percent thrilled with. But now doing it on my own, I could do it my way basically and build the watch away. I thought it would be built best. And we think we've done that. You know, your consumers will have to for the consumer world out there, we'll have to think about that and see if they agree. But so what we create. So I went back to the designer that I worked with for over twenty five years, who was, for all intents and purposes, retired today, and I said, I'm going to take one more shot at this. Are you interested in joining me? And he goes, you're darn right, I am. Let's do this and let's make it the best we can. And this is a Swiss designer. He worked for a major manufacturing and design house in Switzerland. In fact, he designed some of the top guccies, some of the top tag Hoyer watches. He's no slouch tag Formula one as an example his design. And so we set about to conceive what it is we want. We both knew we wanted classic design. We weren't looking for things that were just you see a lot of watches that just have too much on them. In my opinion and in his as well. We sort of think alike, and so we wanted timeless design, things that would be cleaned for today, but good for the long haul. And I think we accomplished that together. So that process takes I mean, it can be done in six months if you spend two months on design and four months on production, but we spent more than that on design and more than that on production, and so it ended up taking maybe eight or nine months or so. But then we came out with our first three collections, which were a carbon composite case dive watch, a steel sameless steel dive watch, and a titanium field watch. And then it was after that, as I told you, when the Marines and we started discussing things, we added another carbon composite collection, that's the Marine Collection. But from the outset, I told you this time, no excuses, no compromises. From the outset, we wanted to build and create something to a higher standard, so to speak. So every watch we make, for example, has a sapphire crystal with anti reflective coding. We didn't want no mineral crystals, no K one crystals, in the case of our carbon, we're using thirty percent carbon on the cases. And it's a three hundred meter dive watch. Nobody needs that. No one goes to two hundred meters. But it's just it's a sign of building quality in and every single watch, by the way, is tested in air and every watch tested in water. Nobody does this. They usually batch tested water because if a watch fails in water, you got to toss it. And we test them, of course to the full depth rating. The strap that you mentioned guy, that's genuine rubber. That's not poly r a thing. Again, these are places one could cut a corner, but we don't want to cut a corner, so we use genuine rubber. And in the rubber we even mold a steel tube that's inside the strap for the spring pin to go through for added durability and ruggedness and strength. Again, you don't have to do that. These are just added things we wanted to do. So we really tried to build it the right way. If you turn our bezel and you can demo if you wish, but there's no play in our bezel. It's a sixty click tight bezel with no play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no backplay, and on.
Speaker 3: Our stainless steel we use one hundred and twenty click and also there no play Titus drum. And then in the steel and the titanium watches, we built those with waterproof genuine Italian leather strap. So it's Italian leather that's treated to be waterproof. And if you know anything about out, anything about standard leather's it starts kind of stiff.
Speaker 2: You got to break it in.
Speaker 3: But if you get it in the water, it's gonna get brittle. It's gonna crack right where the buckle is.
Speaker 2: So that watch that guy's holding up right there, that leather strap, that's the Italian leather and it's been treated for water resistance. That's what you're telling us, right, I have.
Speaker 3: This strap right here.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Italian leather waterproof. This is one of the original samples. You can even see it's got a little sticker. That's how old it is. This has been in water three dozen times. It starts soft, it gets softer at most your wrist. If you put it in water and it will not crack, that's legit.
Speaker 2: So who did the fixed bayonet testing on it? You know, like making sure that it was like able to fix a bayonet for a marine. You know, like did they have like a hand garnade test to throw the handernad while it was being worn? I mean, like, you know, what about like the recoil, Like is it gonna be able to handle the recoil? My man? Like, who's doing that testing?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: All that, all that type of thing's done at the assembly facility where there's about two dozen quality control steps, including abrasian resistance, including shock resistance and the water resistance that I told you about. Bracelets that are pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled thousands of times to know that it's working properly so and that it can stand up. So that's that's just the processes we go through before anything whatever ship.
Speaker 2: And then once it does ship out to the client and they get it, what is your backing like, is they have like a like a lifetime.
Speaker 3: No, we don't have a lifetime. You know, I could I could give you some humor and I can give you the reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah both Okay.
Speaker 3: So the reality is that we have a two year limited warranty. And why do I say limited, because for example, no no watch company warrants a crystal Nobody does because glass can break, even sapphire. And but the thing is they don't break on their own, you know, they they break from serious impact. So nobody warrants a crystal. Nobody warrants a strap because straps wear out. It's like nobody if it's a courts watch. Nobody warrants a battery because eventually a battery wears out. These are things that just happen. But it's a solid warranty. We stand behind our product. Remember I said no excuses and no compromises. I've had situations where we've spent a considerable amount of money to make sure customers are satisfied. I can tell you about that separately. But the humor I was going to tell you. You know, we like to have a lot of fun. So at trade shows we get around with people. Work can be arduous and sometimes boring, so why not have a little fun. And so we clown with people a little bit. And so sometimes people would say, kind of warranty you have, Oh, we offer you the thirty thirty what's that now? Thirty feet or thirty seconds, whatever comes first, And of course we're clowning another one. We would say to people, hey, have you heard about the former Rolex Wearers Club.
Speaker 2: No, what is that?
Speaker 3: Oh, we started it basically we heard from a lot of people that were wearing Rolexes, but they said it didn't keep accurate enough time and they couldn't see it at night. They put it in a safe deposit box and now they wear our watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, just kidding around with people, but it really is true. That's an interesting point, by the way, because it really is true. Even the people that our watch aficionados and have the high end watches, the Rolexes, the hue blows, the bright lings tags, even those folks like to have what I call a beater, and that's a watch you can bang the heck out of. You don't want to You don't want to take a high end watch on do yard work or outdoor rugged activities, take hyperbole, mountain climbing or something like that. You want something you can bang around, and we're very happy filling that role of the beater.
Speaker 2: I mean, are really gonna wear rolex on a submarine subhriner? Come on?
Speaker 3: I'm just like, well, you know, I'm not Rolexes wonderful brand.
Speaker 2: Oh I get it, one hundred percent, But you know, today.
Speaker 3: My goodness, they're nine thousand to seventeen thousand before you get to precious metals and gems. You know, our watch is under five hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: That's a big difference, yeah, right right, and that has a purpose, you know, to be consistent and to keep time for the train that's coming and when.
Speaker 3: I when I say a beat. Oftentimes this class of watch, it is a beater. But it's also what's what's often called a tool watch, and that's what we make.
Speaker 2: Can you expound on the tool watch?
Speaker 3: It basically just means a rugged watch that's used for purposes of adventure the outdoor environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that rubber band it's probably easy to clean. Right, So if you happen to like, you know, sweat grime, you know, anything that collect undernething, wearing it all the time.
Speaker 3: Little soap and water in hand under a faucet and you're good, by the way. Yeah, As a matter of mention that you know, any watch it has a rotating bezl. A dive watch. If you go in salt water, it's advised that when you come out of the salt water, you're run it under some lukewarm water and turn the bezel a few times. Just to get the salt out from it, so you don't get a caked bezel. That wave pattern that you referred to. Guy, it has a purpose too. It's not just for design. It's so that when you sweat under the it dissipates some of the sweat.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's pretty ingenious. And I learned that about diving the first time that I did not rinse my watch in fresh water afterwards, and it got all crusty. So you do that once and then afterwards you rinse it off.
Speaker 3: That's right, And then you know, even if you're not a diver, that style of watch, it kind of says a little something about who you are.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's obviously a more rugged looking watch. And that's an interesting thought as well, that you know, in life, women have many many ways that they can express who they are, whether it's handbags or shoes, or nail fashions or hair fashions, you go down a jewelry, there's a lot of ways. But for a guy, really, the watch has become the way that a man can say, this is who I am. Even my son who you know, when he graduated eighth grade, I gave him a nice Swiss watch from a company called review Toman, and he said, oh, this is my special watch, and of course he had some of my luminoxes. But by around eleventh grade, I noticed he wasn't wearing a watch anymore. And you don't want to push a kid, they're just going to push back. So I just asked him, I noticed you're not wearing a watch anymore. He goes, I don't need a dad, I got my cell phone right here, okay. And then I noticed, somewhere near the end of his college tenure, he started to wear a watch a little more often. And then he went into the workforce and I noticed he was wearing a watch every single day. And so now I asked him, Yeah, I thought you didn't need a watch. He goes, I don't need to watch, dad, But for a guy, a watch kind of says who you are.
Speaker 2: And he hit it.
Speaker 3: I mean, because he's right, it really does. And so that type of outdoorsy adventure style watch paints you or defines you as a person that either lives that life, aspires to live that life, or wishes they lived that life.
Speaker 2: Right right, I've had conversations. I had a nice watch. It was a there's a watch I liked to had bob wire around the bezzle of it, and it was a really fifty five millimeter dial. It was huge and it had uh. And I was at this shot show a few years ago and I was just sitting at the table and my guy's like, well, Rad looks like she moved up in the world. Huh.
Speaker 4: And he's just.
Speaker 2: Tapping on my watch. He's just tapping the watch. That's it. I just dressed like me and you've met me, you see me. I'm just me. But then there was the watch and he's like, I see, I see. And I was like, okay, so a yes, I didn't mind that. You know, I work hard. B I was like, hmm, if I'm getting off the plane in another land, I probably don't want to wear this because it's probably an expensive looking watch that might target me. I might want something that's a tool workable watch that can just blend in with just regular watches. Because you know, I've done these off sites with wargames where we work with teams who are capturing people to train their business people like CEOs on what to do if they get captured off of a path in a jungle, right, and so like say they're going overseas and the wife is going with the husband and they get off the plane and she's got something shiny on her wrist and he's got something shiny, but they don't realize it because they're used to that world. Okay, everywhere they go five feet off the jungle trail is you don't know where you're at anymore. And now you're kidnapped and you've got something shiny and somebody wants it. So what I'm saying is having something that's just a functional watch, you know, that can get the job done, that probably is not going to attract a lot of attention. So it has its ebb and flows. And I'm just saying, Barry, you can either have that pop in I'm at the Grammys. Here's my bling, bling bling, you know, I'm gonna wear this for the red carpet. Or you can have the watch that's gonna always just you know, be on your wrist. Because like you said, people put them in safe deposit boxes. Are they even wearing it? What are they wearing? They're wearing something else, maybe like your watch.
Speaker 3: Really, well, we should be so lucky that they decided to wear ours, so it would be wonderful. You know, you touched on something interesting there. You talked about a fifty five millimeter watch and commented it was a few years ago. There's been watch size is an interesting thing that we've watch watched, We've watched watch sizes. You know, about fifteen to twenty fifteen years ago or so, we saw watchnizes start to grow and grow and grow and grow, and they got to the point of the fifty fives. And again, now I was with Lumanox, so of course we took that brand up from forty three to forty four to forty five. We had a forty seven, we had a forty eight, because you got to make what what the customer wants, and at that point, that's what the customer wanted. But about eight years ago I saw Ras, a nice wisp brand, come out with a thirty six millimeter men's watch. We're at Limanox. Our women's watch was thirty eight. So this was sort of astonishing, right, yeah, small, and I thought, Wow, I don't know what's going to happen here, but maybe this is a harbinger of what's to come. And indeed it was, because I'll use the phrase that watches sizes have come down to some semblance of normalcy. You don't need a fifty five millimeter case. It's like wearing a clock on your wrist.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you my bone right here, you can still see it's raised versus my wrist over here where it's not raised. I wore it for so long that it actually rows up high and my bone in my wrist right here. This one it was. I stopped wearing that watch. It was just too big on my wrist. It was just too much for my wrist.
Speaker 3: I'm not a doctor, so I can't opine on that. But if that's the case, so be it. But as it relates to our brand, we decided when we came out, this was a difficult decision. I didn't really know what to do. But for the dive watches, most of what I had sold in my old brand was in the forty four millimeter size, and we decided to bring it down to forty two, realizing it as a tactical style watch. The thinking was that while many watches were now dropping to forty and even thirty nine, we thought that would be going too far for this style of watch, so we took the small step down to forty two, and interestingly, at the past couple of shot shows when I took these there, and you know, the demographic of the shop show customer, which there's a lot of law enforcement, a lot of first responders, a lot of military adventures, outdoorsmen exactly, I was kind of waiting to see who's going to complain about this, and as I said, interestingly, not one complaint about the size. In fact, some of the military guys that came to the booth said, oh, I see you brought it down a little bit. This is a much more wearable size, and I think it is. Forty two is like a really good size for this particular watch. Now in our field watch, we're at forty. Intentionally we went a little smaller and there, and we're seeing a lot of it today field watches, and believe it or not, thirty six to thirty nine for men at thirty eight, but we held at forty did not drop into the thirties once again because of the profile of the customer that we're trying to appeal to, which is, you know, at the center when we started this, if there's a bullseye, if you will, the center of the bullseye was really to go after what I call what I refer to as first responders of all types, whether it's military, law enforcement, firefighters, mountain rescue, EMT. You know, there's a wide range of people that are first responders, and in fact, our brand name has something to do with that. So the name pro refers to those professionals. Tech refers to the illumination technology, and then, in a kind of a word pun, the watches were created for those that protect us. So that's the idea. And you know, I've had some people come to me. We've been reviewed by a lot of a lot of groups now and most almost every review has been pretty much stellar. We've had a few people say that you're trying to take advantage of Cassio's pro Trek series.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, And I.
Speaker 3: Said, no, that's not true at all. In fact, it couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, I was aware that proach Trek as a series exists. The brand isn't pro Tek, the brand is Cassio. Series is pro Teck, but our brand became pro Tech. And I did check with legal before we came out because I didn't want to I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I want to do things the right way, and we were advised that trek is a journey and tech is a technology, and these are two separate things that we should be fine to do it. And again it goes to the idea of those that protect us. But that's the center of the bullseye. But a targets goes much beyond that, and we're looking to supply plenty of people that just either just enjoy a non dressy world type watch, you know, and outdoorsman's type of watch. You don't have to be a first responder to enjoy that type of time piece as your preferred time piece.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this is a perfect segue to let our listener know right now that if you've made this far into the podcast and you've listened to everything we've talked about with the pro tech line, we're going to have a special offer for you that you will be able to use if you go over to the protech Watches website right.
Speaker 3: It's protechwatch dot com. That's pro t e K and the introductory offer for your audience would be a twenty percent discount with the use of the code soft rep.
Speaker 2: So you're going to do soft Rep. Make it real simple. All you have to do is if you're interested in a watch and you want to go check out. And if you're in the market for a watch and you're looking and you're considering, give protech a chance to be your source and go check them out. And for watching our show, it's soft rep. Just type soft rep in the coupon field when you're at checkout and you'll receive the discount that Baries offer to us. It's introductory. So you know this is really just through soft rep right now. You know that's really kind of you. I want to thank you, and I want to also say that, but and by no way has I've been paid or any other way to say anything about anything to you. I am just literally bringing this to you, my guest. Right he sent the watch over to Guy in Florida to check it out and make sure that it's cool for the website so we can do some articles on it. We're happy to have him on the show and talk about how he came from you know, being a sixties child to you know, the draft, to you know, facing that demon holy cow man, you know that's coming at you, the draft number fourteen, I mean and then to get into watches and have the story of your mom and getting your ten year old watch, and then your son in eighth grader getting him a watch, and then him realizing the value of having a watch. And today when I'm working in my store and people look at their watches, I'm like, oh, are you in a hurry because you came into my shop and you want to buy something off my wall. But now you're looking at Oh, it's an iPhone. You're looking at a text message. I'm like, usually back in the day, young man, that means that you have to get going. You're looking at your watch. You're like, rad, you're taking too much time, So let's get back in time. Huh. Sometimes classics just never go away.
Speaker 3: Man. I mentioned one other thing just in case any of your listeners might have any interest in this. You know, over the years, we've made watches either dual branded or branded for others that include a long list of first Responders San Francisco SWAT, San Diego SWAT atf really a long list, FBI Secret Service, DEA a lot. And so with this brand, we decided why not do the same, and we went back to a number of the people with whom we had relationships. And for example, and I think you guys saw it at the Shot show, we had an officer there from the Oakland, California Police Department and we had just delivered to them the Oakland Police Watch. And so if any of the groups that might be listening to this would like to have their own watches made with their branding on it, it's something we were quite honored to do for any of these groups. And you know, it's interesting. The first time I did one for San Francisco SWAT, they came to me and they said, hey, we want you to make a watch for us. I said, I'll gladly do it. We only have thirty five people on the team, and I said, well, our minimum is one hundred because that's not my decision. That's the factories with the dials and the cases. And I said, if you give me the art, I'll have it mocked up and send it to you. Well, lo and behold. Their opening order was one hundred and thirty nine watches. Thirty five people on the team, one hundred thirty nine watches. Because what ends up happening, there's pride in workplace in the world, first responders and so retired, fathers, brothers, uncles, cousins, nephews. They jump on it because it's a chance to have a very special and unique watch, and that's what that is. Then, it's very unique and different from the standard collection. So we have a number in development right now ATF Retired, ATF active, San Diego Squad, San Francisco Police, Beverly Hills Police. I can't even remember them all, but if any of your groups would like it, it's something we very much.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed doing, that's awesome. And they can just reach out through your website to content you And again just mentioned you heard you know, Barry talk about his life story on the podcast to say he say, hey has listened to soft Rep and I'm intrigued, and I have a department that we can get some watches or you know you're an agency, hit him up and again use soft rep on his website to take advantage of an opportunity that isn't normally out there. There's not usually discounts on his stuff. We don't really want to, you know, it's just for you soft Rep, the listener and our viewers, so we really are grateful for you. And with that said, I've had your time for like just about an hour, you and Guy, but Guy gets to wear the watch. Look it, it's so red I love it.
Speaker 3: I think you might be sending one year way.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Oh oh well, hey, whatever's the case is. This has been a wonderful time to get to know you better, Barry. I'm glad that we've become acquainted in better friends. Guy. I really love having you on the show. I just know that you are going to write awesome articles about what we have going on, and this will come out altogether. So on behalf of myself on behalf of Guy and soft Rep and Barry at protechwatches dot com. I just want to say, go check out our merch store at soft reap dot com. Go check out that book club. And this is rad say in peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to your self Rep Radio