Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast the Corinthian Capital atop your puzzle Roman column. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and today we are talking about anagrams, or as I like to call them, the rs magna. Ours magna is a Latin phrase that translates to the great art. And here's the twist. If you rearranged the letters in ours magna, it spells anagrams. It's an anagram of the word anagrams. That is super meta stuff. That's the kind of next level wordplay you get here at the Puzzler. Our guest today is the amazing, hilarious Jessica Shaw, host of the pop culture Spotlight on Serious Exam. Welcome Jessica.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Aj. I didn't know that about the anagram anagram.
Speaker 1: This is an educational show. Well did you know that your name is an anagram? Jessica? Shall I do?
Speaker 3: I do know, and I'll tell you, well, I don't. It might be I mean, listen, you don't know. There might be multiples. But I did have a crush on a boy in college and he happened to be a cartoonist and in the Columbia Daily Spectator he dedicated his last cartoon to me and said grassias two and then the anagram for my name.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the one you have, but there was one.
Speaker 1: So it's been published. Oh my goodness, well what is it? What's the one he did?
Speaker 2: Jewish casas?
Speaker 1: See that's better than ours. I love it. Ah, well, here's ours. Jaw agges sis. Like if you're telling your sister that your jaw's in pain because he ate too many gummy worms, he'd say jaw aches sis. Totally natural phrase.
Speaker 3: It's very TMJ, which happens in a lot of Jewish casas.
Speaker 1: Frankly, there you go. It all ties together. Oh well, I love it all right. So today we are doing anagrams about occupations, about jobs, and I'll give you an example. If I give you the clue, for instance, moon staer, moon starer, then you might say, someone who stares at the moon is in astronomer unbelievable, look at that. Okay, Jess, here's the first one. And by the way, listeners, if you are not driving, then feel free to write it down yourself. If you're driving, maybe not.
Speaker 2: I'm not driving, so that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I'm right, perfect, Okay, first off is redo it. This is someone whose job might be say I might involve saying redo it, redo it. And it's something that I was kind of doing when we first met and Entertainment Weekly. I would look at articles and I might say redo it because editor an editor nailed it.
Speaker 3: The saddest part is all I kept seeing in my writing was dorrito, Mike, am I hungry?
Speaker 2: What is happening?
Speaker 1: Well, they are a sponsor, so it works out perfectly. They're not, by the way, all right. So next we have got stamp on, stampn stamp on. This is someone who might, during their job say stamp on. If he has a letter and he wants you to get it ready so that he can nail it. He might say stamp on because he works at the.
Speaker 2: At the post office.
Speaker 1: Book, Yes you got it, No, you got it? Post postman?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well no, I think I give you because it's sexist. It shouldn't it should be post office.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: That's right. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: I have a real problem and I don't think that should count toward by tally of wrong answers because that is downright sexist. A. J.
Speaker 1: Jacobs, Yeah, I agree one hundred percent. Whoever came up.
Speaker 2: And on behalf of all women. I'm taking that as a win.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: This one might also be controversial. Bag manager, bag manager, someone who manages bags. They might be.
Speaker 2: Smelly bags, garbage man.
Speaker 1: Nice garbage person exactly. So yes, I have never been a garbage man, or I have been an editor. What Jessica was?
Speaker 2: Which will?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: Truly like sometimes you're editing garbage.
Speaker 1: So excellent point. There's a big link. What about you? What was your weirdest and or worst job?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna anagramm it if I tell you?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: On the spot here My worst job was a tcby Scooper person, and I got food poisoning my very first day and they fired me.
Speaker 1: Wait, well from what?
Speaker 2: From a sad story? This is a sad story. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't say I got it from being there and from sampling, which you know I did a lot of. All I know is I I had to go home and I never went back to work. And then the manager called my mother and said can she bring in her green collar shirt?
Speaker 2: Because she took it home with her.
Speaker 1: So you didn't even get to keep the shirt. I did not and what do you think if you had to guess which flavor was the one that got you in public service?
Speaker 2: I don't need? Does TCB why still exist?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't need?
Speaker 3: Now I'm going to say that I sampled like legit everything.
Speaker 2: So let's go to like cookies and.
Speaker 1: Cream, cookies and cream that could do it? Uh, don't see us please tc B Y all right? So next up? Are you ready? A STU sir? A stew so A s t e W sir. This is something this person might ask h a customer. This person might come up and say, hey, a stew sir?
Speaker 2: Oh what what? Wait? Waiters wait?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's actually wait wait waitress. Oh my gosh, trying to balance the genders.
Speaker 2: Are you are get used to the sexism again?
Speaker 3: Another in the wind column. For me, it was only because I was compensating.
Speaker 1: Understand, understand that is totally our fault. Okay, two more and then we're done. Which is this one is? This is they're getting a little harder just so you know, so don't feel bad. Court poser, So court c O U R T poser p O s E R so. This this is the person who's in court and they might pose some questions, some cross examination questions. Perhaps a court poser, I mean, not a lawyer, prosecuteator, you got it, prosecutor exactly. All right, last one, you are nailing it. You are five for five to nailing it. Okay, this one, this one is interesting because it's a little appropriate. I never write. I never write, So I an E V E R W R I T E. And what's interesting is this person they might not write because they're too busy asking questions.
Speaker 2: Interviewer, interviewer.
Speaker 1: And the ironic part is that that's not accurate, Jessica, because you are an interviewer and a writer. You are a wonderful writer. I loved your piece recently in the New York Times tracing your family roots. You hiked across the Pyrenees to understand your father grandfather's escape from Germany. So lovely. What else are you working on? What can we look forward to?
Speaker 3: You can hear all of my interviews with the celebrities who are not garbage men on Serious XM, on the Pop Culture Spotlight.
Speaker 1: Excellent, excellent. Well, you could interview Emilia Estevez, who is in a Working Man about garbage collectors, wasn't he? That's my only pop culture garbage man reference, so I thought i'd throw it in. Wasn't that it?
Speaker 4: No way?
Speaker 3: It was like him with Charlie Sheen. I don't feel like it was called working man though, but it was something, all right.
Speaker 1: Were our researchers are busy typing it up. But yes, it was a brother It was lovely, it was a brother thing. Okay, So before we wrap up, well, first, thank you Jessica. You are the best. And thank you before we wrap up, as always, for all you puzzlers at home, here is your extra credit puzzle. Before I give it, we just got its. Men at work, not working men at work. All right, here's one last anagram. This anagram actually is old. It appeared in nineteen twenty one in a legendary puzzle magazine called The Enigma. It's not an occupation, but it is a place where people work, and the anagram is and sliced eats, so in slight eats, puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast. I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We asked you to identify the following words and phrases that start with P and the last clue. The extra credit clue was burial place for an unknown person, taken from a phrase in the Bible, and the answer, just like in the song put Pup, Pup Pup poker Face, is pu pup, pup pup Potter's Field. Congrats to everyone who got it. We'll see you next time. Happy puzzling,