Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald.
Speaker 1: I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions.
Speaker 2: And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go. That's how I get a lot of guests. Guests are recommended to me. People email me, people call me, people text me and say we Shaan, I love your show. This is who you should have on your show. This person is a perfect guest. Again, I host this show weekly. Is my Money Making Conversations masterclass show. The interviews and information that this show provides. Again, it's for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest is on the phone right now. She is a speaker, investor, or, what winning entrepreneur. She's the founder of the Boss Network, a community professional and entrepreneurial women. Please welcome to Money Making Conversations Masterclass, Doctor Kamika Smith. How you doing, Dtor Smith?
Speaker 3: I am doing wonderful.
Speaker 1: How are you pretty good? What city are you're based in?
Speaker 3: I'm based in Chicago.
Speaker 1: I love that city. Is it still as the climate? Is it still cold like it used to be. I was up there from twenty twelve to twenty seventeen, and boy, it was cold this time of year. How's the weather?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know what, I will say, this global warming has been good because it was seventy degrees today.
Speaker 1: So you're kidding me right now? I got clothes right now, Dtor Smith? I can only wear in Chicago. I would walk down the street. I had a mask on at a fur I'm gonna tell you true, I had a fur on, I had boots, and you didn't know if I was a black man or white man. That's how I covered I was because at this time of year I'm talking about February twenty seventh, I was like in six degree temperature and you're telling me seventy degree that's the norm.
Speaker 3: That's the norm. But for some reason we've been getting some extremely warm weather. It was like sixty yesterday, but then it's gonna snow this week too, so you know it's in both bipolar city I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: But you know the BOSS Network. What is the Boss? What does BOSS mean?
Speaker 3: The BOSS actually is an acronym, so it stands for bringing out successful sisters. And I launched this organization back in two thousand and nine. I was a former educator, which your howe public schools and had a great career and I got laid off at the height of the recession. As you know, probably many of your listeners had were experienced that, and I had always been an entrepreneur, so you know, for me, it was about, you know, just kind of stepping out there and seeing what I could do with my business and just you know, just kind of seeing how I can go into business full time for myself after thinking I was gonna retire from Chicago public schools. You get to go watch you know, the old stories, but it didn't happen that way. And yeah, so I launched a series of events fifteen years ago for black women because I felt like there was not a lot of support for us starting businesses. Now, minagin this was fifteen years ago, so all the things that you see now, all the support, all the research, all the funding, all the access, it did not exist. And so we launched our first series of events in the summer of two thousand and nine, took advantage of social media and created a national network. And today we reached over two hundred thousand women and we have the largest digital platform, the Boston Worre dot org that helps black women start businesses in the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, congratulations. First of all, I'm a hype guy. What you just said is hype to the next level. I want to be your you know they said every great rapper I have a hype person in front of him. Just go out there and go Here comes doctor Smith, Here comes doctor Smith. Two hundred thousand, launch in two thousand and nine. Can I be your hype person? Because what you just said was incredible information? Incredible information two hundred thousand, two thousand and nine. But everything starts with an idea, and it does. So how did that How did you believe in that idea back in two thousand, because I know it started before two thousand and nine. But you know, you're entrepreneur, you're working a forward our week job and a lot of people telling you, firl, come on now, really, who are your exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll be honest, I don't. I don't think even back then, I was thinking about being a full time entrepreneur. I was just like trying to, you know, see how I can make my side hustle work for me and make some extra money. I had a career, I went to school, I got a master's degree, you know at the time. I have a doctorate now. But you know, my career was what I was focused on. But you know what we noticed with most Black women, when they experience lay off or they experience situations where they're not you know, getting to where they want to be within their you know, their corporate career, that glass silly. You know. We we sometimes go the other route, which is entrepreneurship. And I think I just came in at the height of that. I think around two thousand and nine, you know, black women are starting to see themselves as independent outside of their jobs, and I just came at a really awesome time. And so I think, you know, I was, you know, talking to someone the other day and it was like we literally were one of the first communities, you know, to do this work. And so I feel like it just was a perfect time. And once we start to put the information out there on social media and you know, let people know what we were doing, we were literally listed in Forbes magazine within six months as one of the top websites for women in business. And so that type of support and you know accolades really helped to level us up and really create a space for ourselves in the marketplace. And so we just took that and just ran with it. You know, I was just like, Okay, I'm out at in Forbes. I got to go hard and make sure that I'm able to provide quality, you know, things for my community and bring as many resources and opportunities to black women as I can. And the support that we've garnered and the things that we've accomplished over the last fifteen years has been incredible.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm talking to doctor Kamika Smith, founder of the Boss Network. Boss Network stands for bringing out successful sisters to promoting and encourage the small business space and professional development of women. Boss Network. Any events you have coming up, Well.
Speaker 3: We just recently just closed out our Impact Fund grant program, which this is our third year. We were able back in twenty twenty two, we launched our own Funds for Black Women and we were able to raise one point five million dollars for small businesses and we've since then invested in sixty black women owned businesses. Our applications just closed, so we'll be investing in twenty five women this year. And so this being our fifteen year anniversary, we have a lot of things happening this year. We just launched our first report on Black women called Voices of Strength Report. We will have an anniversary of event in Atlanta this fall, and so, you know, just so many different things we're doing throughout the year to celebrate fifteen years and supporting black women. So, yeah, a lot of good stuff. Everything is at the Boston work.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're trying to do something positive, there's always somebody at that attacking, attacking because a lot of pros that are focusing on uplifting certain communities, like in this case, you know, women of color, black women are being under attacked, being sued and uh and so so will you hear that? Are you mad? Are you? Are you? Are you go? Get your are your lawyer up? What is going on? When I hear things like that? I want this is not DEI. Right now, I want to talk to you about d I. I want to talk about the organization like yours who's designed to uh move forward the needle for African American women are being challenged and being called racist programs or programs that are unfair. Please please expound.
Speaker 3: Well, you you asked a really point in question, ra Sean, You said, do you get mad or do you lawyer up? You do both, you know, because you know that that's where we are right now. You know, we've worked so hard and people are attacking diversity and inclusion, their attacking affirmative action, and they're using laws that we're meant to protect us against us, right and so but I'm a want to so I don't operate out of fear. And so, you know, me continuing the work that I'm doing, I make sure that I have my lawyers in place to make sure that we are covering ourselves. And then I'm also making sure that I'm I'm educating my community because the more support that we can garner around the things that matter to us, the more that we can move the needle and try to you know, get things to move forward instead of backwards. And so it's just it's just where we are right now. I tell you know a lot of people that you know, from what I've seen being in business for fifteen years with the Boss Network and being an entrepreneur for twenty years, there are cycles right, right, and so there are cycles, especially for the black community. You know, we don't get anything consistently right. It's normally you know, at an election time, who's the president, you know, George Floyd, you know, several unrests, you know, and so when we see those things happening, we have to take advantage of the moment, but we have to also always be prepared to how to survive when those seasons are not around. And that is what tenacity and you know, for me, consistently is all about, you know, because it's not going to always be in our favor. But when those moments come, we got to you know, ride that wave and just move forward and keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: Now, the Investment in Progress grant program, that's it's still operation.
Speaker 3: Correct, absolutely so the yeah. So the Boss Impact Fund is our fund that we launched, and we launched this fund to raise ten million dollars over the next five years to invest in five hundred black women owned businesses, and under that fund, we launched individual grant programs and so the Investment Progress Grant is a partnership with Stage and they are the one of the largest financial accounting solutions firms that works with small and medium sized businesses. And so not only with that program are we providing ten thousand dollars grants to black owned women's businesses, but we also offer them a full year scholarship to our Boss Business University, which gets some access to mentoring, coaching, training, marketing for their business. And so, you know, I really wanted to make sure that I was giving these women an opportunities to succeed because, as you know, black women are starting businesses at are higher rate than any other group. But most of our businesses are not succeeding because we don't have the financial support or the access to the resources that our counterparts have.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm very much aware of that, and that's a run of the reason I brought you on. You know, I want people to hear about the Boss Network, a network, an online entrepreneur network that's one of the leading voices in the entrepreneurial space for women of color, black women. And so when how does one register are is there a registration process, it's a registration process an ongoing thing, or it's a window for the for the for the ten thousand dollars twenty five thousand, you have twenty five women can qualify for the ten thousand dollars grant opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that particular program just closed on last Friday, Okay, but we relaunched every single year, and of course we're always in fundraising, so we're always trying to raise funds. You can just imagine what the climate that we're in right now. That is a very difficult task because you know, you know, some people have taken you know, the bates or just decided that they don't want to support anymore. I'll just say that, right because a lot of brands made a lot of these commitments during you know, George Floyd about supporting the black community, and a lot of those funds or support never got to the black community. So you know, I'm just gonna be honest. But the reality is, you know, there are people who want to support, who want to see us win, and so we're always actively fundraising and trying to garner more support because you know, even with this particular grant program. We get over almost twelve thousand applications Rashan for twenty five grant, so the need is huge. Last year we got eighteen thousand. This year we get twelve thousand. Yes, and so you know, we have created some amazing partnerships with Divine nine Black female sororities to help us to you know, try to gain more support in and we're just doing everything that we can, you know. But as far as the Boston Network, our membership is opened throughout the year so women can join and they can get access to other grants that we about, other trainees programs. We are like a one stop shop for entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: Twelve thousand, We'll be right back, you know that for twenty twenty five women competing for twelve thousand, and it's just and I'm not downplaying it, but it's ten thousand dollars and that goes back to banking where you can go get along. We're gonna talk more about this because you know, if we're gonna change the system, then we're gonna become victims of the system. And that's what we're talking about with doctor Smith. The Boss Network, you listen to money making conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashan McDonald.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaan McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Hi there, welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class. You're speaking to listening to Rushan McDonald. I'm the one speaking and I'm speaking to an interviewing doctor Kamika Smith. She founded the Boss Network. The mission of the Boss Network which stands for bringing out successful sisters to promote and encourage the small business spirit and career development of women of color. And when I say that, I'm telling you on that commercial break, I was mad. I was mad because you know, the George Floyd came out all over this world, people making massive donations to HBCUs and people, you know, people, you know, white people were admitting they're wrong. The system, the system was broken. And then you fast forward and I was I could feel a change, Like in twenty twenty two, I could feel that it was changing, you know, ever, stop whatever you know? You know, and then now DEI seems to be making a combat, but it's under attack. I know, states have change the rules. Can you explain to everybody what DEI is and why we have to continue to fight for that level of diversity and inclusion?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know so, I mean, simply put, de I is diversity, equity and inclusion, and it's supposed to be a framework that seeks to support and promote fair treatment and participation for all people, particularly underrepresented groups, against discrimination on the basis of identity or disability. And so for me, when we talk about an attack on de I, you know, some people try to say, well, you know, we're giving people who don't qualify or don't deserve certain things just because of their race, and that's that's definitely not what it's about. And it has never been that way, right. It's always been about giving those of us who have the same qualification as our counterparts the same opportunities. And that's why it's so important to protect the eye at all costs.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's important for me to allow an individual like you who's out there fighting to fight. You know, I'm talking to talk. You know. I try to bring individuals on money making conversations master class to communicate that level of consistency. And that's a consistent thing. We're not trying to get in front of the line. We just want to be in the line when somebody's looking out there for to hire somebody. We won't just to be standing right there because our application allows us to be qualified. And when I when I see things like you know, Elon Musk, and then people are attacking HBCUs and saying that you know, United Airlines created this program and they it was through HBCUs that they wanted to align themselves with Boom. Hey, HBCUs aren't qualified. They aren't qualified, you know. And then you know, then you have people like Mark Cuban, who used to own the Dallas Mavericks is still part of the he runs the Dallas Maverick. It was talking about diversity. Echoed inclusion is important. He said, if you look around any successful company, That's what he said, any successful company, they're successful because they value the principles of DEI. And that is absolutely true. You cannot tell if you're trying to get the best football team, you want the best players out there no matter what race color they are. You want to say, if you look at the way sports is are put together and we did the same thing in the corporate world, then we will win. But in that corporate world this tends to be that old sacred that's what racism really pops his ugly head. Is there a way we can get around this or you just said, Rashan, just keep battling, keep waking up, don't lose the don't lose the grit to to achieve, and just realize that your brand can be consistently in a positive place as long as you keep moving forward. Is that is that the right approach?
Speaker 3: You know, and you said it can be very it's hardening, especially for those of us that are on the front line. You know, we're fighting. You know, we're sitting at these tables and we're hearing people talk about what they're doing, but we don't see that same support being garnered for the work that us in the community are doing. But you know what I will say is that how we continue to push forward is by making sure that our voice is heard, right like you have done today for Sean, giving someone like me a platform to talk about it. Right, We can't just be content with just scrolling on our phones and looking at the news and saying, oh, well, poor them, Now it's us. It's not them, that it's us and it affects us. And so you know, when election comes around, our vote matters, right, when these things are getting attacked, our support matters, right. And so you know I talk about you know, getting you know, eighteen to twenty thousand applications for twenty five grants. Well, you know what, that's twenty five women that I've impacted that would have never had an opportunity to get access to a traditional loan or maybe not have access to other grants that they won't qualify for it because they don't have the revenue in place, right, But they have a vision and they have a clear focus on what they want to do, and we see that, right, And so yeah, it might be a drop in the bucket. But what I know about black women is when you invest in one black woman, you've invested in the entire community. And so you know, I still am encouraged to know that. You know, at the end of this year, I would have invested in almost one hundred black women owned businesses, and many people can't say that. So you know, I just stay encouraged. I keep fighting a good fight. I keep pushing forward. You know, my mother, she introduced me to my black history many many years ago and brought me the Encyclopedia of Black history so that I can understand where I come from and who I come from. And so because I know I come from good stock and we are some resilient people. Nothing we're gonna stop me from keeping and pushing forward.
Speaker 1: Doctor Smith, you fired up right now? Yeah, I love, I love you. Know you know what I love. You know you you was over here. You're not saying you you went unprofessional. I'm not saying that, but ball, I pressed the button somewhere, and you're gonna look look because you know, because when I hear people out there like you, are you asking give me money so I can make this country better. Give me money so I can give people an opportunity to show their true talent, their true value. Because when you when you create entrepreneurs, you people who employ people, people who pay taxes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we're not asking for a hand out. When you invest in black businesses, you invest in the country. It's good for everybody. It's good for the economy. It's good for the ecosystem, it's good for our world, right, and so that that is what we're saying, right and for those of us that for those that want to keep us in what I call bondage, because what they know is that when we have access to ownership, right, we can own our own, We could be on our own, and they want us to be dependent.
Speaker 1: See when I introduced I said, speaker, say the speaker part of hers coming out right now? You know?
Speaker 3: So I want to hour.
Speaker 1: No, this is a blessing because see, because you know, when I when I interview people like you, you know, and I interview a lot of people, I'm always trying to figure out what what what? What's that button that keeps you going? And what's going is passion and it's passion with intelligence. Okay, And you're not letting frustration win because I'm gonna tell you something. I will tell you I'm black every day in my life if I walk out the door, you know, worried about the cop stopping me, worried about getting turned down by a laan, but worried about somebody somebody not give me the money I deserve. And guess what then, frustration wins. Now, I know it's going to happen, but I keep planning for the next opportunity. And then when I look at the Boss network, I feel that's the principle of what you guys are based on planning for the next opportunity.
Speaker 3: Correct, we started with not having support, so when you when you have, and that's how most of us start. That's why when you give us a little bit of something, we can make something out of nothing, right, And that that frustrates those that want to keep us in bondage, right because like you know, oh, we've seen them get a little bit of opportunity and they're out here. Now let's be let's be real. We have more millionaires Black millionaires than we've ever had before because we can do a whole lot with a little, right, So they don't want to give us a little right because they don't want to see us have a lot. But we know because we always thrive with little, you know, so it don't phase us. I mean when somebody, you know, when they weren't giving out PEP loans, it's like, okay, well I ain't never got a loan.
Speaker 1: So it's like, girl, I was sitting know that we're doing that PPP loan and then realizing that the reality stars out there buying cars and houses and thriving gent ahead, how are they getting it? And I need it? I need I'm the business owner. Than that's they always looking at every line. Alright, I'm going I feel all the right people, but I need a lie like the reality star. But these are the things that make us look bad though, doctor, Yes it is, you know one of those story go see, I told youself. Yeah, and then we lumped into all that. I like to call it black ignorance.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and that's why my model has been since they won to operate in a state of excellence. You know, people try to tell me what the BOST networks should be many many times, right, you know, I'm like, hey, I'm not here to be media takeout. We got enough of that. I want to be a network that pushes entrepreneurship, that pushes career development, that pushes you know, personal development, that pushes ownership. And yeah, it might not be the most popular conversation online, but guess what, I'm changing lives and hopefully, you know, changing communities with what we've done. And so that's all that matters. To me.
Speaker 1: You know you know you money Making Conversation Masterclass, That's name of my show.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: And just hearing you talk you go with Sean, people gonna ask you to do it differently, and people always ask why are you doing this show?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: What's the exciting talking to an entrepreneur, what's the exciting talking about the small business? What's the talking about a nonprofit? Because these are the cornerstones of how this country works, and these are the new stars of our community. This is not the new stars. Aren't this aren't the steven A. Smith's of the world, or the or the any the Lebron James or any actress or Denzel Washington. The stars are who I'm talking to on this show. The Boss Network entrepreneurial women who are the fastest growing small business entrepreneurial space in the world are black women. And the black women. And if I can give a voice to somebody like doctor Smith, then I'm gonna keep giving it. I will I will keep giving it to you. And I'm so sorry that I just started talking to you today because we missed opportunities to promote some things that happened in your life. Your business, said rishon just last week, we just stopped that program, but that will never happen again on my show.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that you're.
Speaker 1: Going to be at the forefront of all my conversations. If you got two hundred thousand ready to hear what you got to say, well guess what, I got a platform ready to hear what you got to say.
Speaker 3: Too, awesome, I listen. I appreciate that, yes, because that's what it's all about. You know, we have to you know, share knowledge, and you know, the people people want to say that we're not trying to grow and develop, but I don't. I don't believe that. You know, we want to grow, we want to develop, and we want to be owners and we want to be you know, creating our own way. And so this conversation that you're doing today, I was listening to the podcast you had earlier with the Young Lady, and I was just smiling from it to ear because that's what it's all about, you know, us being able to do something, because that's what we do as black people. We're not doing most things for ourselves. We're going to always do something to help other people. That's just how we are built, you know, and hopefully in the midst of that, we can, you know, take care of ourselves as well. But you know the reality is we're always trying to uplift our people and that, to me is what keeps me going every day.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you again, welcome to Money Making Conversation master Class. You not only at the front of the line, you are the line. And preciate you Doctor Smith for coming on my show. Keep winning, Keep winning, and anybody who's listening to the show, you keep winning too, and please come back next week because I'm here every week doing the thing, bringing the stars from the Boss Network, showing them up, tell them the world you can keep winning. Bye bye, y'all.
Speaker 4: Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Ladies and gentlemen, it's time you stop reading other people's success stories and start writing your own.