Speaker 1: Wake that answer up.
Speaker 2: In the morning the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mister World's more dangerous morning to show to Breakfast Club. Charlamagne Godess hilarious. Envy's not here today, but we have the CEO and president of the International African American Museum in Charlton, South Carolina, doctor Tanya Matthews, is here.
Speaker 4: Good morning, doctor, Good morning Charlotte, Good morning, Jess.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing this morning?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 2: That's black and holly favored.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, the only way to be. I am well, I am very very well.
Speaker 3: How has it been being a black woman in leadership of an international African American museum in Charleston?
Speaker 1: So we just coming in, might as well get into That's right, Let's go ahead and intersect.
Speaker 4: You know it has been. It has been good. I mean, you know it. It has its tensions because I would I would say one thing that the brothers and sisters are happy to see me and also surprised. You know, I'm a DC native. I also spent some time in Detroit. Right, you know, stuff gets low regular you know, we used to seeing us and then it's about how we represent. But you know, truthfully, being down in Charleston being in South Carolina, we are fewer and farther between.
Speaker 1: So so most folks are proud, uh, and they are they are excited. Uh. And and folks in the low country can pray. So listen, I got.
Speaker 4: A whole line of prayer warriors trying to keep it together. But then, you know, there are the tensions. Some folks see the unusual and embrace it.
Speaker 1: Uh, some folks don't. Uh.
Speaker 4: And so there there is that balancing uh that you that you do maintaining you gotta have a serious sense of self. You you do have to have a serious sense of self. Everyone who's in leadership has to be able to do some self critique. Right, that's just what happens, right, And you have to be able to take feedback and listen. But if you are in an environment that does not fully and constantly welcome you, you have to have some shall we say, discernment along with that critique.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You have to know which of the criticisms are coming at you to lift you up and which ones are coming at you to break you down.
Speaker 2: Oh how do you do that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: That's back on the prayer warriors. Probably well, you know, and and there are some people that you really trust, Like you know, you have some people in your life that they can call you out right and you know that you know they love you.
Speaker 1: You also know.
Speaker 4: They kind of wise, and so you can you can take that under advisement. I have a few of those folks in my life, and so I know when they say something that's real, and then sometimes I will I will bring things to them, but like, okay, this there's some feedback I got. You know, what what do you think about about this? And so uh so, yeah, it's you know, it's it's tough. It's tough, and there are some moments where you just decide we just gonna have to brust our shoulders off on that one and keep it moving.
Speaker 3: They're the conversation about black women and leadership in this country that I don't think we're having because when you talk to the systems, they say there's challenges. No, they be trying to take y'all out. When I think about Claudian Gay, when I think about what's happened in the Fanny Willis and I think about Maryland Molesby, when I think about the VP Kamala, they'd be trying to take y'all out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that is that is true, And I would say, you know, it's so funny. We do need sometimes other folks to say that right, because you're right. When you are in those positions, we say, yes, we have challenges, there is there are learning curves. You know, we have all of these phrases because the truth of the matter is we have a job to do right, and there is language that we use in these in these positions. And so I like to think that those who can hear hear what we're saying, and those who can't hear don't hear what we're.
Speaker 1: Saying, right.
Speaker 4: And so you know, it's very interesting watching the conversations around, you know, doctor Gray, doctor Claudine Gray. And I think what folks missed is that her situation wasn't unique.
Speaker 1: It was high profile. There's a very there's a very very big difference there.
Speaker 4: There were so many, you know, commonalities that I had seen in other conversations with other sisters.
Speaker 1: And maybe you know they're.
Speaker 4: They're the head of HR or the chief general counsel of some giant company, and those aren't the folks who get on the news, right, those aren't the names that you would know. But but the battle was the same, the the kind of attacks, the way things are being interpreted were very similar. And so I would say probably one of the most discouraging things about that to me is that I could recognize what was happening, which meant that in many ways it was it was familiar. But then again, I will also say that, you know, sometimes there are roles and positions you take where you understand that the that weathering the storm is part of the work, and if you aren't in the storm, you're probably not in the right position.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Right, So you know, it's it's a it's an interesting balancing act. Yoga and prayer one more time, y'all stay with me, yoga and prayer.
Speaker 2: Yoga and prayer, Yoga and prayer.
Speaker 1: I'm trying another now I'm with childs. I'm trying yoga.
Speaker 5: Now, I've been with prayer, been with prayer. My mother is my prayer warrior, among many others. But yes, I'm trying yoga now. I'm trying to you know, as I gaze off, I'm really trying.
Speaker 4: And well, I think being a mother also helps because sometimes being in protection mode, when you're protecting others, there's a different kind of strength in that right, Like, sometimes it's easier to stand in the gap for others than it is to stand.
Speaker 1: In the gap for yourself.
Speaker 4: So so I find that motherhood, fatherhood, paring her, whatever hood you talking about, that that also helps in that space.
Speaker 2: But who's protecting the mothers? That's what that's that's what.
Speaker 4: I always Charlemagne you, I mean, so it is that is a really that that is a really good, good question. And I think that if I can give some grace to those that I would like to see protect the mothers a little bit more. I think one of the challenge, particularly with black there's maybe all mothers, is that we don't always call for help, right, you know, we know that black women have this thing. We're gonna take a look, We're gonna keep on moving because dinner is at six, Like, this is how this works. I got issues, I got challenges, but baby gotta go to school. Let's make it happen. And so I think that that kind of thing where we do and we do, and we do until we can't do anymore, doesn't really give a lot of room for those who want to help us and who would help us enough. Notice, you know, we're black women, by the time you find out we need some help. We own the flow, you know, we find in all the records. So Mamma, you knew, you knew this was an issue. And so I think part of it is indeed the environment around us, but also part of it is knowing when to pause, to acknowledge, also to ask for some help and some support, which is not always our strong suit.
Speaker 2: Just you know, you don't like that for no help.
Speaker 1: No, not all the time. No, not all the time.
Speaker 5: And then you know that that comes with experience too, like you know, and that creates experience, you know, so I can be able to tell you know, a story, you know what I'm saying, and not not that's what I do it for. But I like to go through some things, you know what I'm saying for myself, as opposed to just hearing you know, the ones before me that they went through. It's like, oh, maybe it could be different from me, or maybe you know, I can gain something different from it, you know, and then teach others and.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that. So yeah, he's right, He's right.
Speaker 5: I'm very resilient though, I'm very resilient, and I can be stubborn, but come from my mother too, you know what I'm saying, So it speaks volumes to what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's a result of that.
Speaker 5: But for the people who don't know, why do you think it's so important for us to tell our own stories?
Speaker 4: So I think it's it's really important to tell our own stories because one they belong to us, right. I have this thing about stories that there are stewards of stories and there are owners of stories. We want everyone to tell our story. That means you're a steward. If I give you my story, I want you to share it. You know, particularly when we talk about say, African American history. I don't need just black folks telling black folks story. We want everyone to tell the story. And that makes you a steward. But then if you're the owner of the story, right, you have some special responsibility, But you also got some special love for your own story. I mean, only you can tell it with that level of emotion, that level of flavor. And the other thing is one of the things that I do like about modern conversations is I often hear the phrase do not argue with lived.
Speaker 1: Experience, sure, right, And so when.
Speaker 4: Folks are at least willing to say that that means that you, as the owner of the story, are the authority on that story, and you can step into that space of this is my lived experience. And folks may want to dismiss the bigger picture, but they can't dismiss that particular story that you are speaking to because it does belong to you. And so I think that's one major reason. But the other major reason is there is power and frankly, and talk about yourself. Now, some folks talk about themselves little too much. Okay, that's not what I'm talking about. That's not what I'm talking about. But to be able to decide that your own story deserves space, right, you know, headspace, heart space, all that kind of stuff. And so you were going to speak up and you were going to talk about and tell your story. I think that's important for everyone.
Speaker 1: But real talk. You know, Black.
Speaker 4: Folks were often told the opposite, right, that our story didn't need space, that it didn't deserve space, and we weren't allowed to talk about these experiences. And then we have to use softer words when we're talking about these experiences, as if telling my story automatically meant I was blaming someone.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 4: But either way, it's the lived experience. And so I think for black folks, some of the anger, some of the self loathing, sum of the challenges that we have are really about having to hold the story in and what it takes to do that. You have to diminish self to hold the story in. You have to reorient yourself to be constantly surrounded by everyone else's story. And I think it's something that we that we see often when folks come to the museum, particularly when black folks come to the museum, it feels like a bit of an exhale, like like, oh that that's that's me on the wall.
Speaker 1: A real pretty well, because we look good, y'all need to come on down. We look we look good. We look good down down at the museum.
Speaker 4: So it's a it's a beautiful space. And I and I watch folks walk into the room and one of the things they seem to be surprised by is to have our stories obviously reference in black folks, our story is told in such a magnificent and expansive way.
Speaker 1: Right it were a.
Speaker 4: Big museum and we're a modern museum, and you can see elements of designs, you know, We've gotten rewards and awards for our architecture and that kind of thing, but to see you know, our stories in that kind of space is still unique. And so sometimes people walk in and I can almost like literally feel the exhale as they see the.
Speaker 1: Story in that way.
Speaker 2: How is business been since opening?
Speaker 1: So we have we have passed our one hundred thousandth visitors. Yes, yes, for us, it's.
Speaker 4: Been less than us seven months and we hit that number. So that has been amazing. Uh, you know, the number one complaint we get as that folks can't get a ticket. I'm like, well, you know, there is a website you can pre register for your ticket. You wouldn't have to worry about that. So so that has been really good. I'm also excited that, you know, we're still getting interest from you know, media and that kind of thing, and they're asking other questions. Right one, when you build something new, everybody wants to talk about you building a new thing. So I'm excited that folks are still asking questions. Uh, the Genealogy Center, our center for family history, remains.
Speaker 1: Very very popular. Folks eyes get real big.
Speaker 4: When when we talk about about that. So a lot of those classes are also hybrid. So we're we're now now that it's been a little over six months, we are getting visitors who have taken one of our virtual classes and now they're really excited to be in the actual Center for Family History right now. They got follow up questions, So that has actually been.
Speaker 1: Very cool too.
Speaker 4: And this was our first semester of formerly supporting school groups. Obviously school groups could always come, but we had to get you know, the program and the special tours in place, and so that that is is starting, and there's there's a lot there's a lot of life, you know that comes into the building, you know, with with eighth graders in that space. But I would also say it's it's a little interesting because, say, particular for urban school districts, African American students and that kind of thing, it's always this interesting tension around how to discipline shall we say, you.
Speaker 1: Know, thirty excited young young folks.
Speaker 4: But you know, we really are a culturally we're a culturally black space, so it's a little different as well.
Speaker 1: I have volunteers that will pull your.
Speaker 4: Child, I have I have listened, listen, we got we got grandmother's own duty, and they will just give you that look and the baby's like, okay, so which is which is actually really good and it's done with love, but it is really done. And also they come in and they look they see us said, oh I see auntie. Okay, let me let me ask you right. Uh so, so that has actually been been really cool.
Speaker 3: What were some of the criticisms you had to overcome when you first opened the museum?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was interesting.
Speaker 4: I you know, there were i would say pre concerns, right, which I'm also happy to say we're uh, frankly invalidated if you ask me so.
Speaker 1: One for example, on the.
Speaker 4: Black folks side, black folks were were wondering, we're curious, we're critical of whether or not we'd be able to tell the truth. Literally that was like, y'all gonna tell the truth up in there, because and and real talk. You know, this is this is the South, this is the deep South of South Carolina's low country. I would say, you know, telling the truth about black history is not exactly the brand.
Speaker 1: Uh sort of in that space.
Speaker 4: And there were some concerns that that we wouldn't want to do it right, and I think we got over that. And then there are concerns that we simply wouldn't be able to do it. It got in the bless your heart category, y'all really think y'all gonna pull this off, bless your heart.
Speaker 1: And but you know, I actually actually took that to heart.
Speaker 4: I understood that folks are trying to tell me that this was going to be hard to do this. But you know, they've come in, they've they've seen the stories, they seen some stories that that they know, you know, because so much happened in South Carolina. Even though we're a national museum, we have plenty of South Carolina stories and all of these things are not that far back, so we have people who have lived some of the stories we're telling.
Speaker 1: So they will come in.
Speaker 4: They'll be very exciting, like pointing at stuff. I've literally heard phrases like I've seen that picture of her in thirty forty years.
Speaker 1: Word, can I get you into the story booths so we can get the rest of the story.
Speaker 4: So so that was on that, and then non black folks, their biggest concern was, you know, are you gonna yell at me?
Speaker 1: You notice you notice Charlotte. That was that was the big one, was are you gonna yell at me.
Speaker 4: But the interesting part is that some folks who were who were ready, they were like, I get it.
Speaker 1: You know, I've heard, I've read snippets. I'm ready. Which part am I gonna get yelled at?
Speaker 4: Like they were basically asking, all right, I'm ready, And.
Speaker 1: I'm like, whoof yelling at you? Would not be good for business. That is not what we are trying to do here sort of in this space.
Speaker 4: But the other thing it is because it's it's black folks telling black folks stories from a black perspective. That's why there's no yelling. It's not say and intentionally trying to be nice, is that this conversation is actually about us. You have the opportunity to be a fly on the wall hear all the stories that we may have told at the dinner table that you never got to hear all about books we've read.
Speaker 1: Or experiences and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I'm always surprised when folks are just finding out about some things that I've always known, right and everyday, folks. I have a really, really, really good girlfriend, white sister. She was my ride to die when I was hanging out there in Detroit, and one day she says, I said something something, something, We're gonna open up like we always do with the Black National anthem.
Speaker 3: Da Da da.
Speaker 1: And I had seen her.
Speaker 4: At events because she she would go with me to all these events. She knew the words, right, since your mother are singing. And she said, well, what's the Black National Anthem? I said, you know, that's a song the lift every voice and sing. And she literally said, oh, I thought that was just the song that black folks like to sing every time open up an event, right, So, because that isn't part of the language and the history, folks will say, you know, I just found out about the Tuskegee experiment. Word, oh okay, that that explains so many of our previous conversations sort of in terms of those things. And so it's an incredible opportunity. And so folks and not getting yelled at, and they're very surprised that they're not getting yelled at, but they're buying all the books instead. Uh So, I think I think those those are the kinds of things. And then you know, we did get some some interesting comments, uh that were that were more subtle. If anyone has also read Lonny Bunch's book A fool's errand when he talks about the building of the African American History Museum at the Smithsonian, you get so like subtle, subtle things like you know what.
Speaker 1: How much did that cost? Again?
Speaker 4: Which is a good question, and it makes sense we want to be financially responsible. But you can tell when it's asked in certain environments versus others, right, which is really the question is is it worth that much? Should we actually be spending that much on that? And so the energy of those those kinds of questions come off quite a bit. I do have some neighbors that are still concerned about the boom boom music that my home that might be coming out. Uh.
Speaker 1: So you know, so we we we do.
Speaker 4: We do turn down to breakfast club when we're playing that when we're setting up in the morning.
Speaker 1: But you know, so you will get I think those.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of of of comments and conversations there. But I would say, you know, on paper and and most loudly, we've been.
Speaker 1: Very well received.
Speaker 4: But I would also acknowledge that there is always a bit of a honeymoon period, especially when when folks are paying attention. Uh, and so we're soaking up all the good vibes, and we will use them as a fuel to move forward through whatever the next phase is.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about places like Florida? You know they they're making it illegal for kids to learn about our history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let me let me channel my n Michelle.
Speaker 4: Let me let me channel my Ani Michelle and go high on this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I want to scale a one to Harriet, tell me.
Speaker 4: Exactly, exactly exactly. So so here here's the thing about this. You know, we're doing a lot of talk around diversity and inclusion.
Speaker 1: They do all the studies.
Speaker 4: Businesses do better, schools do better, kids do, but everything does better when we're doing sort of diversity and inclusion. I am so curious as to why it has still not occurred to anyone that perhaps America's superpower is our diversity. That being the most diverse nation on the planet is why we managed to be and stay number one despite all the challenges we have. You know, if you measure the school systems one to one, America's you know, we don't necessarily went on that. When you compare things like oh, I don't know, access to healthcare, wonder one, We're We're not the head on the like all of these individual measures, you know, we're never quite at the top yet. And still we are one of the most powerful, not the most powerful nation on the planet, the most creative, the most innovative. We're always sort of leading in these spaces. And I believe it's because we have this level of diversity, this wrangling. We are not monolithic in that space. And so whenever you have anything that challenges our superpower. Right So, frankly, I think this sort of anti diversity, anti teaching, the the culling of history. I think it's the kryptonite to our superpower. And so I don't understand and I don't envision say, places like like a Florida with what they're doing. I don't think that you can disenfranchise half of your population and still be economically viable, right, I don't. I don't see how you can not leave a whole lot of money on the table when you got half your genius locked locked behind the door. And this is not just about limiting black folk, you are also limiting everybody else when they do not have the opportunity to learn one of the greatest human resiliency stories of all time. Listen, Black folks are mythical, right, just with all the ways we sort of tell these stories. So when you take those stories, when you take those lessons out of the history and the learning, we are all weaker, right, you know, Black folks, we're the ones raging against it because this really challenges our ability to identify ourselves. But at the end of the day, everyone pays for this, and so I just I don't think it's a wise move. But I would also say that at the end of the day, our elected officials are elected because we elected them, right, And so I have a low tolerance on these kind of conversations. I always respond with, well did you vote? That's my first part of the question. And I know and da da da da and stealing a vote and calling the vote and change, okay, okay, okay, you can't complain about that to.
Speaker 1: Me until you vote, right.
Speaker 4: And I was just listening one one day and the brother was like, listen, I'm not sure whether it works or not, but I know that the cost for the opportunity is way too high, so I'm gonna go ahead. And in I said, that's a really good way of looking at that. And so while I do hold our leader's account. Well, because I am a leader and I know what those responsibilities are. I also hold the folks who have the power a little chunk of the powers as well, right because frankly, if we I don't know, you know, stop supporting this or that, it is about money and so a lot of these conversations go with the money is. And so I would say, now Charleston has an International African American Museum, we.
Speaker 1: Also have beaches.
Speaker 4: So if you're looking for an alternative, right, if you look at it, if you're looking for something else to do, you can you can come down for for that way. But I don't think it's it's wise, and I and I do think it's it's very very dangerous. And I think that this trying to tamp down a significant portion of the American identity is why we are all so shook, even if we can't quite articulate it.
Speaker 3: When you look at where we are now in this country, what can the International African American Museum teach us about overcoming a lot of these challenges we're facing up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, it's interesting where we are now. I like to use the analogy of a rubber band, right, if you're trying to break a rubber band, you got to stretch it until it breaks, otherwise it'll just snap back. And I think what you will learn sort of in our museum and museums like this, is that we have been here before, right, Lessons that you do not fully learn, you are doomed to repeat. You know, the history is a is a gracious teacher, and you can redo the test as many times as you need to until you get all the answers correct. And so when you learn about periods such as, for example, reconstruction, right, that is the period in our history that most reminds me of what's happening right now, which is there is this moment of great hope, great strides, UH, African American elected officials just popping up out of whatever slavery is apparently over.
Speaker 1: We're gonna move forward.
Speaker 4: The slap back was ridiculous, right, This is this is where we come into the Jim Crow. This is where we get into what we call the Nator.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It got really really bad.
Speaker 4: When when we saw the nation allowing the African American community to make this level of this level of progress.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: And and so as we're we're looking at this now. You know, I remember very recently there was a period of hope black folks getting elected to stuff they weren't supposed to get elected to. We were moving, we were moving forward, We're having all of these conversations, and so here comes to slap back, right in terms of that we have to stretch these these concepts, and nothing is ever one and done. Right, It's like going to the gym, right, ladies, y'all with me, big day coming up. Whatever that dress is, You got to fit in this dress. We in there working it out for forty five days. Boom, we're getting a dress done. If you never went to the gym, again, guess what, you're not getting back in that dress. You're not getting back in a dress. And so it works.
Speaker 1: The same the same way.
Speaker 4: And so you know, I think we make these strides, we make these moves, and then we're like, great, boom, that battle is done. Let's move on to the next battle. But it all requires constant nourishment, at least for a generation or two, a sort of in that in that space. So I think one the lessons that we can learn is that this is not entirely new.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Two the thing we learn is that you must keep keeping it on. And three sometimes have changed a bit. So let's let's level up a little bit on some of our strategies and the things that we can do, because the truth of the matter is that with all this that is going on, black folks and those who ally and accomplice with us are farther along, and we do have more power and we do have more options than we did, which means we have additional tactics and things that we can do and things that we can we can use. So so one, it should be somewhat encouraging.
Speaker 1: We're not the first to have to go through this.
Speaker 4: But two it should be very encouraging because we don't just talk about the struggles in the museum. We also talk about the progress, right, learn about the progress, you know, do something you know with with that progress, think about our platforms differently, and so so hopefully it's it's it's a little encouraging. Hopefully it's it's really encouraging. What are you looking at if you're starting? Because he always said giving you some space, yeah, because no, he'd be starning me because he'd be like, when I get you quiet, that means I'm tired I'm pregnant.
Speaker 2: Just make sure you speaking of being pregnant.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it is women's history.
Speaker 4: It is women's history, and earlier it's the first day for in Earlier I spoke about my mom.
Speaker 1: I wanted to honor her, you know.
Speaker 5: And but like, what are some other ways that we can honor, you know, the women, not even only our moms and women in our lives, but just honor women periods, women's history.
Speaker 4: You know, I am honestly still a sucker for for being referred to as you know, being part of the lineage, right, you know, you know, I I love it when folks be like I see you, sister, you magical. It's like the rest of them like like those kinds of things. I mean, it's nice, you know when folks, you know, compliment us as individuals. But I think it's also nice to be in that category of strong black women. Don't abuse it, right, don't don't overdo it like make us do everything. But there is something something to that just phrases like I see you siss Yeah, it's so powerful, like you don't even we don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Who I feel see today? Okay?
Speaker 4: Okay, So so that that I think is is good, and I think to also do it three sixty right. You know, we we honor our mothers, we honor our grandmothers, but let's let's make sure the nieces and the daughters and the younger cousins feeling a little love to right, you know, So building building that up, that up now, and it's it's really interesting. I finally I think I've come to the age where where I can see how much it makes a difference.
Speaker 1: You just see their eyes let up like you you said, you see me.
Speaker 4: And so that I think is in the the lovey dovey kind of generic stuff. But I would also say for for those of us in the work, you know, some real deal tactical stuff. I remember being in meetings where you know, your your classic power play shenanigans. You know, we're sort of happening some about race, some about gender, all this kind of stuff. And I saw one sister take one comment like really to heart, like like I saw it. This was back in COVID times. It was like zoom days, you know, when we could like private chat to folk. And you know, I sent her a quick note. I was like, uh, honey, we all heard him say it brush his shoulders level up. I see you keep it moving, and you know she went up. But she's like, you saw that, you heard that, you see me.
Speaker 1: I was like, of course, I see you, I got you. We're here. I feel it too.
Speaker 4: But we will discuss after the meeting, and it it meant the world, uh to her in those spaces. So I would also say that when as we are out there moving and shaking, like when when you see things happening, you know how we do that wink, that nod, that little look that that we can that we can always across the room. I remember asking my mother once because uh, they're a sister and I'm we were sort of scheming behind us, some business stuff going on, and I said, Mommy, I said, they're going to know that we're talking to each other. We're not supposed to talk to each other because we're supposed to be on different sides, right, We're supposed to be on different sides of this conversation. And my mother said to me, she said, I cannot explain to you why, but for some reason, they never figure out that the black women are talking to each other.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 4: Wow, I was like really, cause it's just to do it us. Like what she said, I trust, I don't know. Uh, And so which is which is wonderful that we we can still have that language, you know, in those in those spaces, uh. And I I know that there are some folks who are concerned that if they align in the wrong way right, that the that the pushback will come to them too, Because I was afraid. I was like, we gonna get in trouble, you know, sort of in that space. One, it's trouble that's worth getting into. So buckle up, buckle like right, good job, like, so buckle up. But two, I think that one of the the challenges of the myth is that we don't work together and that we don't align it, so folks don't don't easily see it.
Speaker 1: When it's when it's happening. So I say that that is is another way.
Speaker 4: And then you know, on a practical tip, I don't know, everybody, once a week, look up a woman's story that you've never heard of, I don't know, find find find a famous find a famous sister, and and and look it up and then take.
Speaker 1: Her story as her story.
Speaker 4: It is not a challenge to your story just because you haven't done X Y Z or Just because I would like to talk about ABC does not mean I'm telling you that you have not done enough. Brothers, It does not mean that I don't love you. It just means that it's my month, okay, all right, just like we did for February, it's March like it's it's my month in that in that space. And I also like to think of these months as this is women's history kickoff month, right, but this is how you kick it off for the rest of the year. So feel free to share a powerful woman's story in July. Just it's it's okay, right, it's listen.
Speaker 1: You will be, you will.
Speaker 2: Be, you will be.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, you've got a couple more questions. Who's the woman's story that inspired you?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it would be the other half of my my life and my brain. And that's going to be.
Speaker 4: Uh, Nikki Giovanni and Maya Angelo, a couple of folks know that the other half of my life is is as a poet, is as a poet. And you know, when I was coming up, and I was I was young, and I was doing my thing every once in a while, sort of an elder older person would come to me like, you know who you remind me of? Nikki Giovanni and I knew the name, and it was just it was just such, it was just such a thing that that folks would relate me to that because of course, you know, she had inspired me. You know, we all have our like ours. It's kind of Nikki like poem. And then I actually got to meet her. You know, we are a couple of degrees of separation. And then she added a collection and I got in the collection, and so to be recognized by someone who recognizes you. And then it was after this I was just looking at her as a sister and a black woman and a poet. And then I began to understand all the lgbt Q sort of that community and that challenge. And I'm like, she ain't complained boo about that. She just up in there hustling and working and doing her thing.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then when we had that that shooting at the university in Virginia, I swear Nikki saved them all just just the way that the spirit of a sister and then wrapping that in in poetry just sort of calmed the campus down. So that was Niki because I grew up sort of wanting to have that kind of fire. And then she saw me. And then there's Maya Angelo, which is I will never be that nice, common, peaceful girl. I mean she she just had that that essence, that spirit and what most people probably don't know if you haven't seen. She was really tall, right, she was over like six feet fee. She is majestic, and she she still walked that way because she also used to dance for the longest time. She gave the welcome freshman addressed at Duke University, which is where I went. So that was the first time I got to see her in person and just this level of energy.
Speaker 1: But even in that peacefulness when.
Speaker 4: She would talk about stories, which is, you know, I don't let people bring negative energy in my house. If I'm having an event and I see some negative event energy, I kindly escored them out the door.
Speaker 1: And I was say, oh, we we can do we can do that.
Speaker 4: Then I also found out that she was she had a life. She's a little free.
Speaker 1: She ain't care, but she ain't care. If she wants something, she go get it.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, all right, so you can you can be this and you can still be full and human, ah and whole. And she does something that I don't quite yet do with my my poetry, which is, you know, a lot of her poetry was incredibly personal and incredibly open to like her particular experience, and that was also something that I was reaching for. And so between those two women, like every time a new documentary or book or something comes out, it just sort of blows my mind and reminds me that that they're whole people. So I would say those are those are two of my inspiration stories.
Speaker 2: What are the plans for the one year anniversary of the museum? Oh?
Speaker 1: My gosh, it is.
Speaker 4: It is so coming, you know, because we just open. I'm like, we just opened. It's like the anniversary's already Like that.
Speaker 1: Is that twelve months? So one?
Speaker 4: You know, obviously we opened up on June twenty seven, then we start our opening ceremonies a little bit before that. For me, that means I get the entire month of June. I definitely get the entire juneteen season, all right, So June teethh is our whole anniversary season. So of course there is a Juneteenth itself, So we are gonna have some special programs and kickoffs for that. And one of the things I actually like about that is that in our particular community, the museum does not have to lead Juneteenth. And folks may be surprised to hear me say that, you know that, I'm excited to be sort of like supporting, But that's a sign of a community that's growing. Right. So now a low country you got foux five like June teen celebrations, and I'd be out there trying to get to all of them.
Speaker 1: So that's good.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of the kickoff in that in that space, and so there's there's that joy and then there's also that reverence.
Speaker 1: Like the thing I do is.
Speaker 4: I like to always interweave, always interweave sort of the trauma and the joy and the resilience and the victory all that together because it also comes around the anniversary of Mother Emmanuel, Right, so all of that, all of that is happening. They are not disconnected and they don't have to be. You know, how black folks do. You've been to our funerals. We know how to get this done right. And so so that's kind of how we have that kickoff. We're gonna have sort of our own version of kind of like a.
Speaker 1: Classy bizarre is how we're gonna do sort of our anniversary event.
Speaker 4: I go to a lot of sit down galas with the tablecloth and all that kind of stuff, and it's it's good. But but you know, when you can do something a little different, do a little something a little different. So we finally have our building, so we're gonna be able to use our outside space to have sort of a kind of an upscale kind of bizarre. So we're designing what that's gonna look like. So stay tuned on that. But that's coming. And during June, Secretary Bunch is coming down. So Secretary lining, but I know I'm looking at your facials, so he listen. He told me, he's like, you get a couple of things, what do you need. He is a good man. He's a good man, and he's a great mentor to many of us in the field. And so he's gonna come down. We're gonna do a little little fireside, little fireside chat. So I'm gonna get a little shine, a little shine off off of Secretary Bunch that he's gonna be there as well. So we've at least got got those those kinds of things going in that space. Little something special for our members, a little something special for our donors.
Speaker 1: So it'll be it'll be good.
Speaker 3: I want everybody to support the International African American Museum. Go to i AA museum dot org to support and get more information. But Doctee, I've never asked you to do this. What would you mind h ending on a poem or something?
Speaker 4: Some things in the in the low Country a little spooky, right, There's there's some serious energy down there, and.
Speaker 2: We're very supernatural people. You believe in the supernatural, it really is.
Speaker 4: And so there's this thing happening with with the number with the number nine, right, So of course there's the Emmanual nine that was Mother Emmanuel, and then there's the the Charleston nine and these were these were the firemen that went in the space and we lost them. And then there were the nine that we lost at the Albrighton Wilson explosion. And the fact that okay, listen, I was like three nines and I was like, okay, yeah, I don't know sort of what what does happen and in here? But I was invited to do something for Spotlight Awards, which was in awards that sort of uses the memories of those folks to honor folks who have done some service. And so this is this is the poem that came came out. So this is called Rise. It's dedicated to the Emmanuel nine, the Charcon nine, and the nine we lost at the Albrighton Wilson explosion. Uh. And it riffs off of a quote by Dinos Christanopolis, which is, what didn't you do to bury me?
Speaker 1: But you forgot that I was a seed.
Speaker 4: When they tried to bury me, I discovered I was seed. Told I came from nothing, but I got roots, conditioned to be weak, but kin known to break through concrete. So I watched and learned, and stretched and burned and birthed and grew and flowered. So when the mowers came, I laughed like a dandelion. When the axe men returned, I rolled my eyes like acorns. Some folk don't know how trees work. When they tried to bury me, I discovered I was seed. Then they threatened me with the storm and found out I was born of the water. That thing threatens them the most, who that day say I can't swim. My tears salted these seas crying over bones and desperate. Please, I marched deep through these waters, like bridges, like tunnels. My wake spirals and funnels memory, headstones, that birth, coral feed schools, cushion quakes, carved canyons, calcified shark teeth, cat volcanoes at the spout, and sometimes, just sometimes, these waves rise up and remind the storm what water is really about. When they tried to bury me, I discovered I was seed. Then they tried to burn me and found out that I am the flame. Set fire to my home, set bomb in my gardens, set brands on my body, even use my religion to burn. When will we learn? Never torch a phoenix, nine feathers to pray and redeem you. None feathers to work every day and feed you. Ninefold wingspan x spand flies into the flames and saves you.
Speaker 1: Hate fizzles. Only love sets fire like I do.
Speaker 4: Water from that storm quenched me, Heat from that flame released me. I sang myself to sleep beneath the soil, so deep and sweet and true. When you tried to bury me, I discovered I am seed. So the only thing left to say is thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, doctor Mathew.
Speaker 1: You are so welcome.
Speaker 3: CEO and President of the International African American Museum at Charlton, South Carolina, once again. Go to IAA Museum dot org to get more information on the museum or to get tickets if you can.
Speaker 1: That's right, come on down to Charleston. We got you a ticket.
Speaker 2: Oh we're going. We're going this summer. Are you gonna be pregnant though.
Speaker 3: You can do You're gonna you know, you're gonna be like eight nine months, but now don't know if you can fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be able to fly.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 5: My du date is August eighteenth, so we're gonna come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come, we're coming for augusta June, you know when you've got all that stuff going on exactly.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, June, Jim be plenty of time. You ain't come to deliver six months, ygnant. You can't do nothing around here.
Speaker 3: Women's mom, doctor Tanya Matthews.
Speaker 2: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club