Speaker 1: They around the NFL podcast.
Speaker 2: Already missus the luck competition from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's around the NFL. I am Dan Hansis. I have heroes here, Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler and now okay, now I'm starting to get the juice. We were placed on a nice little card down a nice spot on the old NFL media bench for the combine. So we're back here in LA for that, and I felt that. But now everyone's back from Indy and free agency is on the horizon, franchise tag deadlines coming up in a couple of days.
Speaker 1: We are now.
Speaker 2: Greggie on the precipice of the true New League year and everything that comes.
Speaker 3: With it, like as we are taping more you know, veterans losing their job, which we don't like to see just keep happening, or another none that are going to change our lives or our rundown. But yeah, the combine is a nice, like little jolt, and now here we go.
Speaker 4: It is an odd event, I think, from like our career perspective to be watching it states away on television versus being there. And it was a different kind of event this year with like crowds in the place going literally crazy when you're used to it being kind of like a golf match and so hushed in there. And I did watch a lot of NFL Network. When you're there, you can't really do it. And I'm not tooting our own network's horn. I often don't go in the opposite direction. I thought they put together the most entertaining combine broadcast that they've ever achieved. Wow examples, I have a few examples that I can share a little later in the in the show.
Speaker 1: But I thought that like DJ Rich like and the atmosphere, did you hit your head this week? Unders No, No, I know it.
Speaker 4: Sounds like I wouldn't say that kind of thing, but like they, it's I think that they the goal is to not be day three of the draft, where you're just getting doused in data that starts to lose meaning. And I thought they brought a lot of interesting context in their home paid off, but it was also a ton of guests and coaches more than in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to be a company man, but that is I think it is the best thing we do. When I was when I was just getting started out in this industry, and when they and they put on the Combine. I thought that it was like a fun football broadcast for like seven or eight hours. It was good back when it was Mac. It's good with this new guy. I think he's going to work out.
Speaker 1: Now you have to complany, Jeremiah. I'd love to be part of it one day. Well, that's true.
Speaker 4: By the way, I don't like its shining during our ap since that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Had had we been at the combine, Greg, you would have been in trouble because and this is I think one of the cute little ticks about Greg. And we've known Greg for a long time now, Mark, he's got his binoculars. And then Super Bowl Sunday, when we're up there in the auxiliary booth, he's got the binoculars and he's all excited and it's it's cute.
Speaker 1: It's adorable. Actually, I mean it's not an abnormal.
Speaker 2: Kind of let's be honest, there's nobody else around us using them.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because we're just by ourselves. No, I'm nowhere in the auxiliary. There's no reason to be. You're not gonna wait. Do you see a lot of people taking out the binocular I don't know. I think it's a class.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's more in the regular press box may journals.
Speaker 4: Like the first game I ever went to, I brought binoculars and it was incredible, And in these days I could use binoculars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been where you're app It makes a big difference. So big Funk, who's on a heater right now? Because as we know, Funk behind the glass, Randy Shavez brought in, Uh.
Speaker 1: Got you your ticket ticket Gate? Oh superlticket? Did I'll never forget that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Now, Funk picks up Greggy's binoculars, which he left behind on the set at the super Bowl over there in Vegas, and Uh, if you want to say anything to Randy on Mike, I feel like that, Like you're gonna play cool because you don't want to act like you're too attach your binoculars. But those things matter to you and and it's Funks one that kept them in your life.
Speaker 3: Randy is a great human being. He always cares about us as humans. He cares about our pets as pets. And I'm not surprised of all people that he.
Speaker 1: Turned that up on. I need that Funk.
Speaker 4: There was a glow in Greg's eye when Funk more like Hunk came in the room and brought the binocular.
Speaker 3: Now that said, I mean I did pick it up on the way to the Superdome for raving forty nine ers Super Bowl Big Funk and I feel like the performance level was going down that they thought maybe it was time.
Speaker 1: When I realized I had loss but knock.
Speaker 3: Nothing left behind, it was like, why does Big Funk want to do this?
Speaker 2: And now I know, Big Bunk, Hey Funk, it's been We gave you about a week and a half.
Speaker 1: That's right, I think it over.
Speaker 2: Those who listened a couple of weeks back know that we throughout this idea. Shock Jocks a few years back took a young and impressionable Big Funk and said, we're gonna give you a thousand bucks and then return you're gonna sell out your fandom and get a Chicago Bears logo on your thigh even though you're a die hard Packers fan. And we the around the NFL podcast anti shock Jock or at least those shots Jucks decided to give you an option to a crowdsource fundraiser to get some type of work done on that tattoo, to alterate it, maybe remove it.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts.
Speaker 2: But it was the last time we left off you big funk had the ball in your cork, so we didn't want to push anything on you like those shot jocks once upon a time.
Speaker 1: Where where's your head at? Do you want to move forward with a procedure or are we gonna leave it as is? Go ahead?
Speaker 6: You know, after lots of consideration, I've I think I've determined that. I think I'm gonna keep it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna keep it up. Turn his music up. He's going to keep it. It's hard of his hayst Or read. We all walk a path we didn't force. We were we were, we were freedom giving on that front. Yeah, that's totally understandable. I respect that.
Speaker 3: What about the idea that someone had with the Ghostbusters sort of circle over it with an X with a new tattoo, So that's keeping it but making it a little I'm down with that, totally change that's a new version, are you okay?
Speaker 1: So are you down to it justin or not?
Speaker 6: Ghostbusters is my favorite movie? So well, well, you don't have it removed.
Speaker 3: I think what he's saying is he doesn't want to remove, but this idea that we're going now anti bears and putting the X through it.
Speaker 1: You would be down with that. The alter You know what's funny.
Speaker 6: The longest time I've said that the one thing I would do was write sucks underneath. Yeah, but that sounds like like a thousand.
Speaker 1: Turn it up, turn up again? How do they ever think about that? Changing his mind?
Speaker 3: All that, and fair enough, he was not on this this tweet that we saw from someone.
Speaker 1: I'll show you the mock up. I think we're headed all right.
Speaker 6: Also, I I did love Dan because you you have no tattoos, right, No, it was so funny because because you you were throwing removal and ever one I've talked to you that's ever gotten tattoom and says it's the most painful thing I've heard that, and it's like incredibly expensive. So I was like, I was like, I can't do removal.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a pretty big tattoo. It's it's yeah, it's it's sizable.
Speaker 4: To to the credit of our and I'm not surprised our listeners like on the glorious subreddit and check that, check that environment out.
Speaker 1: It could be more pristine. It's uh.
Speaker 4: They had hundreds of suggestions and ideas and concepts of what he could do or how he could solve the problem or alter it and.
Speaker 2: Say, all right, get us, get us a price quote right, sounds good, getting that brass quote.
Speaker 1: Found the best deal of the work with someone. Wrap your bowl?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: Progress made? Are you mark? What is these looks? We're we're doing important work here?
Speaker 1: For what did? What did I do? You keep shooting glances at Greg?
Speaker 3: I like to look at Greg during the show on occasion, I guess I missed it because.
Speaker 1: It was not and I couldn't.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be more excited about how the show was opened, and I noted that the listeners were very involved, and it's in a testament to them.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: And I had to even have a suggestion maybe of the tattoo artist. But we'll get to that off.
Speaker 1: All right, we got a lot to get to.
Speaker 2: So yeah, with the combine in the rear view mirror, we're gonna have a guest coming by.
Speaker 1: Because you know, we do our best. We we do our work, but we know where our limitations are.
Speaker 2: And when you're looking at prospects coming into the league, you want to get somebody that really is an expert in this Realm, and Danny Kelly, who does great stuff with the Ringer and has a big time podcast, fantasy podcast, but really knows his stuff, and this Realm is gonna come on a little bit later and talk with us about what he saw some takeaways. We're going to share some of our own takeaways from over the weekend.
Speaker 1: But before that, let's do some news. Hey, good, Connor, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we have no no, we just we won a lot more games than what he predicted us.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's for two. I haven't hanging up. I haven't hang it up in more. Yeah. Oh no, oh no ah.
Speaker 2: That is from the Buccaneers social media and Connor or you may recall one of his buzziest off season stories he writes, is he I think he read he picks every game and then has final record picks for every team, which you know can go disastrously.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, the Patriots going to like the AFC title game. Well, he likes to do it. It likes to have a little bit of spice in there.
Speaker 2: Yet, so obviously he was and I was with him, maybe not two and fifteen with Connor, but I didn't think the Bucks.
Speaker 1: Were a playoff. You went under on their over under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Jason light remembers the general manager and what you heard just there is a nice little combine.
Speaker 1: That's the fun stuff.
Speaker 2: At the comment you start mixing up the journals with the coaches and the gms.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Connor also famously, back when it was a quieter environment, was in this, you know during the tryouts in the forties down by the you know, right on the and the edge of where the seats were, and made some sort of an noise or or disturbance. Were like a fill in the blank, like Timer guy from the Steelers, I believe tourrounds, Like, dude, stop making noise. I'm trying to lay concentrats like Connor's always uh, he's combinding it up.
Speaker 3: I do remember that, and I do like I got I have to preface this. Connor handled the whole interaction well you should check it out on uh.
Speaker 1: And like didn't have a bad vibe about it. He kind of jabbed out, Yeah, it was a jab It was all fun.
Speaker 3: But he did tell the social department of the Buccaneers, hey, let's come do this. That wasn't by mistake, So that that was that was fun. It was next level. He had a little idea for some content. Give give the GM some credit for that, or the social team had some idea for some content and they went and executed.
Speaker 1: And Connor. Connor's big boy, you can hold his own as well.
Speaker 2: So I think I'm sure the interaction from that point onward went well. So, you know what, everyone's competitive, like I don't get you know, in the sports even the sports media, everyone's competitive.
Speaker 1: But the GMS they.
Speaker 2: Read all that stuff even when they say they don't, Yeah, they at all, or it's brought to them or it gets to them somehow, So you know, believe that in his office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. All right, why don't we start with Tampa Bay. That's good. How it worked out. Cool. Mike Evans, He's not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: He signs a two year, fifty two million dollar contract which includes thirty five million in guaranteed money, to remain with the Bucks, the only team that he has ever known in the NFL. He's been ten years in the league, and I thought about this is interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Ten years in the league for Mike Evans.
Speaker 2: I've talked about Texas with Nick Wesley about this, and he's like he's a superstars. Before last year, which was a great season for Evans, and I said, I always felt he was just a touch below. And I don't know if he's ever been in all Pro Greg you can now I know he's been a Pro bowler five times. He's he has a historic start to his career ten years, ten one thousand yard seasons, and sometimes it feels like, despite his incredibly consistent, unique production, he flies a little bit under the radar. But here is an example of it paying off for him, this consistency. Maybe he doesn't get brought up in the same breath as the greatest wide receivers of his generation, Mark, but to get this type of contract this far into his career, it doesn't happen unless you do something truly historic, which is what he's done. Doesn't matter who the quarterback is. He's done it with Tom Brady, He's done it with Baker Mayfield. He's done it with who's the guy with the really long neck, remember that guy, Mike Glennon, Jameis Winston. He's done it with them, all the good, the bad, the greatest, and he's rewarded for that consistency with this deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been QB proof and you know, I think if you go and look at Baker Mayfield season and you know, major comeback campaign, a lot of it has to do with Evans and how consistent Evans wants after a bit of a strange campaign with Tom.
Speaker 1: Brady the year before.
Speaker 4: And I think you're right if you look at the age and if his production were hot and cold, or he was an every other year type of guy, you wonder if he floats off somewhere else.
Speaker 1: But I think the Bucks it was, It's what needed to happen.
Speaker 4: I think also the second part of this is like Evans, the Worlds reporting that Evan said he wanted to play with the premier quarterback. He wanted to be on a team that could compete. That's that is the case with the Bucks as a competitive team. Baker Mayfield cannot float away in this. It's almost like the Bucks and Jason Light have to They can't lose the Baker Mayfield derby here without another plan because Kyle Trask and John Woolford are not premier quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Right and they don't have a high draft pick, and you know they haven't been mentioned in the Kirk Cousins sweep steak, so though they'd make a little sense, I think Baker's most likely out come. We'll get to that twenty six million dollars. This wide receiver market is not coming down. I've heard it posited by people that I usually agree with all the time that says, like all these receivers coming into the league, like it always works, and you know, there's so many great wide receivers, like this wide receiver mark is going to cool down. It's like, no, there's actually still not enough. I can think of so many teams where they don't have enough wide receivers. Passing game is the most important. Offense is the most important. It's gonna go up, up and up. I was wrong. He was second team All Pro two different times.
Speaker 1: This guy.
Speaker 3: Now they've added a slot receiver too, which is nice. So six guys get it. And I like that to his second team two times, twenty sixteen, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Incredible consistency.
Speaker 3: I know, like Fantasy points isn't like the best way to measure receivers, but I.
Speaker 1: Think it does that point something.
Speaker 3: Now if you give him half point per reception yards touchdowns, He's been top fifteen in Fantasy eight out of his out of his ten years, and the other two he was top twenty five.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 3: It's just ridiculous. That's a top fifteen receiver. But I give him credit. A lot of players say they want to stay at one place, they want to do this or that. I think I believe he took a somewhat of a hometown discount here to stay. He told his agent, just get the deal done with Tampa. At this point, I think he would have gotten more guaranteed money. The second year is not fully guaranteed. It's like half guaranteed. Like I think if he went out there, he would have made even more. Now how much more. It probably would have been like that much more. But he's putting his money where his mouth is. I think he said, like, just get the best possible deal with Tampa. I don't want to deal with it. And credit to him that that's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, being comfortable and where he lives with his family, and then the fan base that loves him and just the familiarity of that team.
Speaker 1: That all makes sense. It's a very human decision, all right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Baker NFL Networks, James Palmer Bud believes the Falcons are a quote dark Horse to sign Baker Mayfield. So Baker is not getting the franchise tag from the Bucks. That deadline's Thursday. Correct, it's Tuesday, Tuesday tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We'll be backing update at next show, so don't expect that.
Speaker 2: So Baker abs in a similar surprise deal like we just saw with Evans, could hit the open market, and the Falcons are connected to a bunch of guys greg but Baker is one of them, and he would he would represent an upgrade over what they had last year. I still think they need to swing a little bigger after the last few years how they've handled the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: But it's good for Baker. He's got a market.
Speaker 3: I keep seeing different reporters have different variations of these Baker reports, which is interesting coming out of Indianapolis. The agent's doing his work, but I don't just dispute it. Daniel Jeremiah said the Patriots might be in on Baker. Jeremy Fowler threw out there that the Falcons are going to get one of these guys, basically Cousins, Fields or Baker, and it's going to be is going to end up being one of these three. And so now Tampa who I think is still the most likely outcome for Baker has competition and he's going to cost a lot. And I was wrong, I believe to say a month and a half ago that I didn't think he was going to get the geno type contract. If he's got multiple teams bidding on him to become a starter, he is getting the geno type contract.
Speaker 1: Maybe a little more, we'll see. I think that'll be about what he gets.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that it just seems logical and clear that Cousins is the first chip to fall and then and Baker has to be seen by someone like Atlanta as like a very solid fallback option versus having no option.
Speaker 1: I don't think unless the Bucks just get it done first.
Speaker 4: It adds urgency to what Tampa's how they got a organized and I think that that's why the Evan thing's happened, Like Baker could be next.
Speaker 1: I do think in New England.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that Alex van Pelt, who I think was a low wattage higher his offensive coordinator, worked with Baker in Cleveland and like knows.
Speaker 1: Him very well.
Speaker 4: It has to be behind the scenes, you know, suggesting this guy can do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, bring Baker to New England there. I don't wow that.
Speaker 3: I know they have one hundred million dollars in Casspae, So get the guy when he's on the one year, three million dollar contract, not the next thing.
Speaker 1: It's just sart of obvious. Right when I woke up this morning, I was feeling pretty dangerous, all right.
Speaker 2: So Yes Graziano of ESPN and also Jeremy Fowler put out an article this morning sharing all their kind of whispers and all the conversations they heard that Greg just shared one of those nugs about the Falcons game plan with the veteran quarterback. Grazian also reported in that piece that the quote top QB solution for the Falcons is Kirk Cousins should he reach for free agency. And the Cousin's free agency situation is very interesting because the Vikings, from what you're hearing out there, do want him back, but they also have a very complex or they have a vision of how they want to handle this offseason. And number one is Justin Jefferson. And if top wide receivers beneath Jefferson are getting like twenty five to twenty eight million, you know, Justin Jefferson's gonna get thirty to thirty five, right, So Kirk Cousins has to agree to a deal that fits within the framework of their ability to really build a team around Cousins and Jefferson without maxing everything out.
Speaker 1: So they're kind of in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: But Cousins, ever the great businessman, Mark doesn't sound like he's looking to give any type of homecount hometown discount to Minnesota, which means it could get to the point where he is fielding offers and he's going to get paid either way.
Speaker 1: Again, a lot of them. He find.
Speaker 4: He has a special talent to hit the market at a time that seems to benefit him in many many ways.
Speaker 2: I mean, and like Evans, consistently produce and put himself in.
Speaker 1: A gain leverage.
Speaker 4: I think I think that people I think Cousins is very well liked throughout the league. You keep here that and I think that there are, more so than in years past, a higher belief that he could come in and take a Falcons team and take them to the next level. The reporting from Graziano was also that Cousins has a very specific idea on quotes about what he wants and that the Vikings so far have been unwilling to match it. I do think Kevin O'Connell on NFL Network, it came out very strongly suggesting like I think we're gonna get I think we can get this done. Like I think that Kevin O'Connell came to Minnesota largely because of Kirk Cousins and is a huge proponent. And if you're the Vikings, I know it's been a bit of a rebuild in terms of like terms of.
Speaker 1: Their cap and stuff.
Speaker 4: It's like you lose Kirk Cousins, you're the team suddenly wondering what is happening at the most important position.
Speaker 3: It's hard to know which one, you know, which of these reports to like put a lot of stock in it, But I thought this one was worth it because hearing that about the Falcons, it actually does make sense. I just there's something about this whole thing with the Vikings that to me, I feel like they're gonna be okay, letting Kirk walk. If some team actually blows the doors up in a huge contract, and I think that could be the Falcons, they are the team that makes sense. And you're hearing all this stuff that the dustin Fields market isn't that great that he's kind of going to be the backup plan maybe for a lot of these teams, and the Falcons and maybe the Broncos, although they haven't been mentioned to me, do feel like the one team that could just put the money on the table and that Minnesota's like, all right, we'll see you. We'll find out in a week. It'll probably be about one week from this time on Monday that we know.
Speaker 2: I'd be curious that maybe the something to check out ahead of next show. But how many teams currently have the setup and are successful teams with a quarterback on a top tier salary and a wide receiver on a top tier salary. That's so much of your cap tied up to two guys and it makes it very difficult to build a balanced roster.
Speaker 4: One little note that not too long ago today on the Pat McAfee show, Schefter also mentioned that maybe the Commanders could jump in on the Kirk Cousins thing. They're kind of open where they sit, They're kind of open taking a couple of different.
Speaker 3: The ultimate like we're no longer Dan Snyder move and we're just a new franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Cowboys, they're another one of those teams. See they're trying to figure it out. They got Dak making all this money, they got Ceedee Lamb's contract coming up, and then they go, all right, we got to have a functional defense and Mike oh Parsons and then we've got to get the offensive tackles taking care of one of them. Tyron Smith, according to rap Sheet, is quote unlikely to return to the Cowboys next season. And I think that's less about his ability. Even though he's thirty three, he's still very competent tackle. But it's all about Greg gave that big picture with them and all the money that they're they have to dole out. Are you gonna really give a top of the market left tackle salary to Tyron Smith when you got the QB and the linebacker and the wide receiver all hanging out.
Speaker 1: There, right.
Speaker 3: I think that's rap Sheet hearing through the grapevine what Tyron Smith's market was gonna be at the combine, and the Cowboys realized, like, oh, we actually got him to take a pay cut last year because he kept getting hurt, and now he's gonna make twenty million dollars a year whatever it is, and we're just out and he he's hitting free agency at a perfect time. I mean, any tackle would be, but there's literally no one else like Michael Owenu who's bounced around guard and tackle. Is a nice young player, but like there aren't any good like high level starting left tackles.
Speaker 1: So he is here.
Speaker 3: He must know already he has a contract offers from certain teams and the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And certain It's gotta be a bit of a tough pill to swallow because the vibe I get from everything Dallas is saying and that's just Jerry Jones basically is like it is just it's kind of a super Bowl or Bust all over again, and like these players are not easy to replace. Although it isn't pretty interesting. Draft class at tackle, guard and other line.
Speaker 1: Is very deep.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that, but yeah, it's the tackles and the receivers, which they say are the deepest here.
Speaker 2: Uh buying to us In other news, you know how as well, Mike Darren Waller. Weird career for Darren Waller, who is currently with the Giants after his first season went in a disappointing injury riddled manner. You could about the last few seasons for Waller after he was briefly one of the most productive tight ends in football.
Speaker 1: There is a report out there.
Speaker 2: There was previously a report out there that Darren Waller, despite being I think he's run thirty or thirty one and thirty, he's turning thirty two. He's thirty one now, I believe, And there was a report that he was indeed coming back to the Giants for another season. But now an update to that report in the New York Post is that Waller is still undecided on whether he will continue playing or opt to retire. Giants to give up a third round pick mark for Waller, and I'm guessing they wish they didn't do that.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean last offseason for the Giants was riddled with curious decisions coming off a Coach of the Year campaign.
Speaker 1: It's just like they hurt themselves in multiple ways.
Speaker 4: I think we kept saying that the X factor for New York was like which version of Waller you get? He had his lowest yards per reception of his entire career, and I think that offense also, you know, went through quarterback hell, and I think him not being around next season would not change their fortune.
Speaker 2: I mean twenty twenty is hindsight too, right, like it it made sense when they made the trade I used to talk about all last summer.
Speaker 1: I never got a.
Speaker 2: Great vite about Darren Waller and the Giants for some reason, right, And sure enough it didn't go well.
Speaker 1: But I feel like you.
Speaker 3: Didn't get a great vibe from him when he came in to do the broadcasting boot camp.
Speaker 1: He seems either a wandering spirit a bit, but I think that it almost is.
Speaker 3: I don't think that performance is informative of what's going on here, but if a media yeah, but if I'm hearing that he's not that into playing next year, and it might be a physical thing too. I'm surprised that the Giants have been publicly saying like, oh no, we want them, We're keeping him, we're not cutting them, because they would actually say with a post June first cut, eleven point six million dollars in cap savings. But it goes back to a cliche I say at this time of year, which is like, it's a lot easier to find cap space than is good players, and I guess they just feel like they really need some good players.
Speaker 1: But if he's not that into I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe lets and once you know this, this happens in every sport, Like he got he got the big contract, and he's never been close to the same guy. He's been hurt a lot too, and there's been questions about his desire and you.
Speaker 1: Know it's it's not somebody you typically want to go to war with.
Speaker 4: Oh, I would like to know that, like the actual health situation though, because that could be driving most of this.
Speaker 1: If you just don't feel like you can be what you were, it's.
Speaker 2: A lot of soft tissue injuries. I feel like that he's I mean he felt with yeah, to pass on.
Speaker 3: Eleven twelve million dollars just because you're done that, Uh, that says a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, you seemed to pass on mark and ized wisdom in that conference room, but we.
Speaker 1: Also had to you know, course correct our own presentation.
Speaker 3: Between not quite worth twelve million dollars. Though maybe you're the type of guy that that tweeted out is like we would you rather have one million dollars or one hour to pick jay z brain? Jay Z's brain, I'm taking the hour. It's like, no, take the money.
Speaker 2: It was around the second seminar presentation where I did consider jumping out the window.
Speaker 1: That's what I recall.
Speaker 4: You were put through a test, and you know Greg Escape, Scott Freed, where were you on.
Speaker 2: Skipping through Japan holiday, skipping through Tokyo hand in hand with his beautiful wife in other news?
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know. I don't know what's going on in Tokyo with Greg.
Speaker 3: Now that I think that time, I think it was Hawaii. I think it was Hawaii. But yeah, that could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Aaron Jones is a Packer's running back. He's twenty nine years old. Yeah, good and bad, twenty twenty three, but overall, you know, a very productive player in his time with the team. If he is going to stay with the Packers, it's very likely he is going to.
Speaker 1: They need to take a pay cut for what it's worth.
Speaker 2: Matt Schneinman reported that Bryan Glutagans, the general manager, said the team quote absolutely expects Rogers to be there.
Speaker 1: And that makes sense to me because look at the Jones to be there.
Speaker 2: Expects Aaron Jones to be there, because look at this, look at the running back market, look at all these big names in free agency, and you kind of get the feeling outside of maybe Barkley.
Speaker 1: They're all going to struggle to get the money they want.
Speaker 2: So Jones is not going to want to re enter that phrase, want to play out his contract because a four year, forty eight million dollar deal he signed in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: He's entering the final year.
Speaker 2: So even with the haircut, probably going to do a lot better than he would do on the open mark.
Speaker 3: That's something that's changed in just the last few years where if you saw the report that they will cut him if he doesn't take a pay cut, that guy almost always used to get cut, and now like Joe Mixon is a good example last year. Now when those reports come out, and especially at running back, you're probably right if he can make more with them.
Speaker 4: The Milwaukee Journal sent and also reported that they're not looking to bring back AJ Dillon. So if Jones goes, AJ Dillon goes, it's not the greatest draft for running backs by any stretch.
Speaker 1: Like that's going to look very different.
Speaker 4: I think Jones when he was on the field, they were much better offense.
Speaker 1: He finished very strong.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break and we'll continue through the news.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back in other news.
Speaker 2: The forty nine ers have found their new defensive coordinator. It is an in house move and it is Nick Sorenson who will be promoted. He was the team's defensive pass game specialist and nickel cornerback's coach. He takes over for Steve Wilkes, who was dismissed last month. They also are hiring former Chargers coach Brandon Staley as an assistant head coach. So you're going to two head monster this thing, I guess Mark with Staley behind Sorenson.
Speaker 4: Well, so Staley is replacing essentially the same position by another ex Chargers coach, Anthony Lynn, who left to go to the Commanders.
Speaker 1: I think this just is what happened.
Speaker 4: This is one of the least surprising hires in terms of Kyle Shanahan deciding I'm absolutely picking from my in house crew because you know, Wilkes it didn't work, and I think a lot of it seemed like the energy around it that just not seeing an eye to eye and maybe the way the Niners want to do things. Like Sorenson, who is a longtime tea Carrol protege underneath you know it for years ago, has been with San Francisco for a while.
Speaker 1: He's done a lot different things as a player and a coach, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Cool makes some juice, sye the juicy side of this. In that same Graziano Fowler right up. Sources say the forty nine Ers explored the possibility of hiring Steve Spagnolo away from the Chiefs for their DC position shortly after their loss to Kansas City in the Super Bowl. But then the Chiefs very quietly gave Spags a new deal that is reportedly worth five million wow, which is big wop for a coordinator, but interesting that the old if you can't beat him, join a move was on the radar for Lynch and Shanna.
Speaker 1: Well they helped get him paid. Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: He's got gotta be the highest paid coordinator in NFL history, which which.
Speaker 2: Quinn I thought was getting what three or four last year, and that was said to.
Speaker 3: Be It would make sense if someone was going to be it would be the guy coming off two straight Super Bowl titles and he's.
Speaker 1: Not going to get a job like a head coaching job. Yeah, you better pay him like that.
Speaker 2: In other news, let's spin through this all right, Greg set it up. The competition committee, Oh my gosh, they are proposing some dramatic changes to the kickoff. We've talked about the kickoff and how it's kind of a wasted play right now, Greg, you talked about getting rid of it entirely.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't think so, Greg. I think it's football. It's got to be involved somehow. What is this pitch?
Speaker 2: What is this idea to fix the play?
Speaker 3: We'll like dive into this more in late March. But the fact that the Competition committee is who's putting up there. There's two different ways rules can get suggested. One a team can just suggest it and it's like, Okay, that's an idea. We'll see everyone's going to vote for it. They have this idea of only doing on side kicks if you're trailing in the fourth court, Like, we'll see if that happens. That's a team because when it's from the competition COMMUTEE, they're already into it. They're trying to make it happen. In the XFL model, who was which was created by former TNF Recap guest Sam Schwarztein who's on Amazon Prime as the next Gen stets guy, and I had no idea. He created the rule book for the x L back in the day, which is kind of crazy for me.
Speaker 2: He had the rule where the balls at the fifty yard line and people sprint from opposite ends.
Speaker 1: So that's that is essentially the rule the ACL destroyer.
Speaker 3: No not not that the kicker lines up at his own thirty yard line and ten members of the kickoff team line up at the opponent's thirty five, five yards away from the returning team's block. Only the kicker and one returner allowed to move before the ball is that. You kind of just got to watch it to see it's different. But it would result in a lot more kickoffs. In fact, I think the majority of kickoffs would be returned because otherwise it goes to the thirty five.
Speaker 1: Which is great. I don't I don't. I need to study this one. Maybe they, but it seems to be messing with you a little bit. But maybe they.
Speaker 4: Maybe this was prompted to some degree by your calls for it just to disappear entirely during our supo.
Speaker 1: That's what did it. Good way to look at it.
Speaker 3: You know, Bill Belichick was with EGO and he was like, either do it or kill it.
Speaker 1: That was that was his idea, do it or kill it.
Speaker 2: Quick cuts and then we gotta get it going here. The Vikings cut ties with Alexander Madison. They're running back, so a year after Davin Couko is now Madison is out the door as well. The Patriots say goodbye again to J. C. Jackson, whose career has turned into a bit of an odyssey. Washington cuts ties with Logan Thomas Charles Leno, The Eagles say goodbye to Buyard Kevin Byard, and the Saints cut safety Marcus May and one other transaction Jason Kelsey, yes indeed, is retiring the Eagles veteran center, a mainstay as stalwart and now a media star. We'll be able to focus on other endeavors, also our competition. We got the old iHeart Radio Podcast Awards coming up next week in Austin, Texas. Will be there and they are in the same category as US, which is troubling with all this swift, little bit troubling.
Speaker 3: But right now he's coming off maybe the little bit of nuclear hot right now. Right you said, Mark was maybe the best retirement speech you've ever seen.
Speaker 4: It was the longest, and I so I saw many portions of it walking around the building here.
Speaker 1: I'd thought he did a great job. All right, let's listen times.
Speaker 5: Why did I choose football? What drew me to the game? And I never have an answer that gets it right. The best way I can explain it is what draws you to your favorite song, your favorite book. It's what it makes you feel. The seriousness of it, the intensity of it. Stepping on the field was the most alive and free I had ever felt. There was a visceral feeling with football, and like any other sport, the hairs on my arms would stand up. I get hit somebody, run around like a crazy lunatic, and then get told good job. I love football.
Speaker 1: Nice. I feel like Wes would have loved that. Also.
Speaker 2: I like they show up in a sleeveless T shirt. You know some guys wear that's done up, but he's that's on brand. That's a that's a big some big shoes to fill.
Speaker 4: Well, little game nugget like the tush push is not going to be the same without.
Speaker 1: Maybe that would Hires get him. Yeah, that's big.
Speaker 3: I mean he he kind of changed the game in terms of like I think teams look for more Jason Kelsey types at center. The quickness of the athleticism he's going to wind up being a Hall of Fame. Where he talked about how when essentially the Chip Kelly years, he almost thought he was going to get out. He was of Philadelphia, his his coach believed in him.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 3: I think Eric also have him talking about the most famous play in Eagles history.
Speaker 5: I won't forget Nick Foles having the game of his life on the biggest stage possible and the biggest on the team, going up to Doug Peterson and asking for the Philly Special and Doug Peterson having the biggest balls in the stadium.
Speaker 1: Do it say it.
Speaker 5: To say, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the most memorable plays in Super Bowl history, the most, like second most, the most top ten number one.
Speaker 3: It is kind of crazy. How you lost that on the sandwich is so close years ago.
Speaker 4: If you would have said top ten, it's not crazy, it's absurd.
Speaker 2: If only it wasn't horseshoes, you know, then you would have had.
Speaker 4: It the most influential super Bowl play of all time.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's just silly. That's incredible. It's not silly, but it meant something to that man.
Speaker 2: They look how much it meant, I do like that a man sobbing there talking about balls and big that's a great like a lot of likes breaks with tears in your eyes talking about big dicks and balls.
Speaker 1: That's that is very unbrand for that man. Something for everyone.
Speaker 3: No one's hit hit their retirement like on this sort of momentum, I feel like since Michael Straighthand did it well, Like if you had told me it's going to become like a monster media star for most of this, I wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: Romo, but his had to go out on topic.
Speaker 3: Playing was kind of very depressing. He broke his back. It's funny it's Kelsey.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say went out on a title, and I said Kelsey did too. But no, like no, he became he kind of became a member of the Chiefs in the last like three weeks of the season. So I get like, I'll never forget. I think we're together, all three of us. I think we're together. When Super Bowl Sunday morning, when he came, we were the hotel. He came out of the elevator and he was wearing a onesie. It was like overall's onesie Chiefs logos all over it and we saw him exit out the doors and it really was like a massive celebrity with everybody with their phones out and handlers like taking him.
Speaker 1: To the car. Yes he is, He's going to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, probably probably defeat us in the iHeart Awards, but you never know.
Speaker 1: I never know.
Speaker 3: He replaces Kirk kurb Street on Amazon. I think that has been suggested. Did one more clip from.
Speaker 4: The Kelsey pressor it's just because this guy was a pretty big talking point on the podcast for a bit and he did get mentioned.
Speaker 2: Big Dum a Hall of Famers retirement speaking give me all the big Dom he got.
Speaker 5: I'd like to thank Big Dom de Sandro truly the life force of this organization. No one gives more time and energy to this team. At the drop of a hat, Dom is by your side, my family, and I give our sincerest thank yous for always treating us with dignity and assistance.
Speaker 1: They just say, can I have?
Speaker 2: And I offered a little uh to that point, a little unsolicited advice.
Speaker 1: Just hire Big Dom as the coach.
Speaker 2: If everyone loves this guy so much, Yeah, hire him as the coach. Build up with good assistant staff around him to help him with the ex's and o's and be done with it. Get Sirianni out of the building. Can't even control himself without Big Dom there, Sirioni. It is losing the pr contest day by day and this.
Speaker 1: Christ all right and finally in the news.
Speaker 2: This is a sad item to end it on, but definitely something we should talk about. Award winning ESPN NFL reporter Chris Mortensen passed away on Sunday at the age of seventy two.
Speaker 1: Really sad. This is someone who.
Speaker 2: Battled stage four throat cancer in twenty sixteen, which you know, cancer obviously is something that's very close to everyone us as well.
Speaker 1: West battle the sophageal cancer a battle.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, he's no longer with us, and Mortensen or mort Is everyone knew him in the famous mort Report that I remember watching so many, so many mort reports when he was the kind of insider in the nineties and into the two thousands and then hung around. He died suddenly on Sunday morning, and you could the way all the tributes Mark poured out toward Mortenson.
Speaker 1: He was a he was a different dude.
Speaker 2: Because this, this business, especially the insider business, is kind of a nasty one oft times, and it's competitive and his cutthroats anything in this industry. And Mortensen was the guy who was known to help people along the way and how do you do this job as a national reporter, how to get your foot in the door, how to succeed. So even while the young ones were coming up, he never stopped being a class act.
Speaker 1: So he's a widely respected journalist.
Speaker 2: He actually grew up right in the backyard here in Torrents, I believe, but also someone who did it the right way in terms of helping younger reporters coming up.
Speaker 1: And it's really sad to see him go so soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's when you hear someone described uniformly by people that knew him very well, people that worked with him, people that just came into contact with him. It's like he was the gentle insider. I think that game now seems a little it's cutthroat. It swallows up your personal life, your time, and Mortenson always had a different kind of vibe to him. And like I think also he experienced the insider job at a time when pregame shows actually mattered, When like he'd come on Sunday morning and give you news that no one else had. Now it's like a lot of rehashing of stuff that we heard on Wednesday, Thursday riding. It's like he was a pre Twitter but in Twitter too, but like he operated as this person who brought incredible context information to the football experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was doing it back when when it was like John Clayton and Len Path Gareley at ESPN, and then I remember when they brought in Schefter and in theory Schefter would be like going on his turf and instead they made this great tandem.
Speaker 1: And always just a kind man. He was really nice.
Speaker 3: He reached out to me a handful of times when I when I started at Pro Football Talk, we would have conversations and, like people said, like very generous and warm and helpful, just like seeing someone coming up in the business unprompted. And and he I know he reached out to West too when Wes was going through his battle and they had that to share, and so I think just on a on a human level. I also remember he reached out to Takeisha after after West died, so so rest in peace.
Speaker 1: He was a classic guy.
Speaker 3: He he got Daniel Jeremiah, you know, started in this business too, and it was it was tough see and DJ deal with that on live TV and everything, and they were extremely close.
Speaker 1: So great great man, Rest in peace, Chris Mornson.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break, and when we returned, Danny Kelly, let's talk combine in the draft ahead.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is a senior staff writer for The Ringer co host of The Ringer Fantasy Football Show and The Ringer NFL Draft Show. And it is that last credit that we're going to dive into here with Danny Kelly. Welcome back to Around the NFL. Denny, thank you so much. How are you guys doing good?
Speaker 1: You know? I fellow Dan Daniel.
Speaker 2: I was Danny from eighty birth until ninety two, and then I had a seventh grade I had a hard teart with my mom and I I think I asked her for permission to go to a more stylized quote unquote cool Dan, and she rubber stamped it. But still to this day, my family calls me, Danny, do you have other people?
Speaker 1: Are you Dan to anyone? Are you a Daniel on he? Or is all Danny all the time. Let's get into it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I kind of went the opposite direction from you. From eighty two to high school, I was Daniel, so like my parents still call me Daniel, and high school I decided I want to be Dan. So a lot of my high school friends that from the era still call me Dan. And then kind of as a bit, I decided to have everyone start calling me Danny, and it just kind of stuck.
Speaker 3: What do you mean as a bit, because yeah, this is your name, this is your professional name.
Speaker 1: It's the only name I say. You hang on.
Speaker 3: You've been around on the interwabits, but you've been Danny Kelly the whole time.
Speaker 2: But Greg, I mean right, there's there's been a lot of ink spilled and audio spilled out from microphones about Triple G and Greg and all the Greg culture. Like you have to let him be on his Danny path like and understand that it's its own thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I don't get the bit parts.
Speaker 2: I will say that in the year two thousand and this whole segment is about this name, So everybody just dig in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In two thousand, I worked at TGI Fridays before I went away to college, and there were three Dans and I went to Danny. Well just for that summer, and I'm telling you it was it was special. It made me consider staying with it, but ultimately I cowered out.
Speaker 1: And you are the.
Speaker 2: Danny of the NFL media industry, So thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Buddy. Let's talk a little.
Speaker 2: The combine is over, we are spinning forward. What is you know, a big picture thought coming out of this weekend for you, Danny Kelly.
Speaker 7: I think, first of all, a lot of guys are very fast. Obviously this is what you talk about in the combine, but it was especially fast combined for receivers, running backs, offensive linemen. There's a lot of really really good athletes. I think in general, players are maybe just starting to get much better at these combine tests. Like the training is a lot better these days. Maybe the athletes are just better too, because because of all the training involved in you know, athletics and sports, so very fast players at the combine. I know this, I'm breaking news here, this is exciting.
Speaker 3: Well, you mentioned that at the drop the wide receiver day stands out maybe the most because you know, for our our purposes, maybe the most interesting.
Speaker 2: Like you've receivers fast, okay at the combine.
Speaker 1: Like you know, the two deepest positions in this draft.
Speaker 3: And you know, we haven't talked a lot of drafts, so I feel like we're we're starting out on this show.
Speaker 1: But but for.
Speaker 3: Our listeners to the two of the deepest positions are tackle and wide receiver. There's sort of a discussion which position gets more in the first round. It could be upwards of eight to ten for either position, which is which is crazy. But one thing I noticed Danny, I heard Josh Norris, our friend talk about this too, is like all these receivers are are big, like it was supposed to be this trend that like, oh, you don't have to be like a huge receiver anymore. And starting with with Roma Dunze, your guy from the Pacific Northwest, who's like a real deal X receiver, who could you know? DJ our guy at NFL Network as him as high as a third or fourth overall, will go somewhere in like the top eight. It could be all receivers and quarterbacks to start off. Yeah, he shows up, he has a great workout, he's like a real deal X receiver.
Speaker 1: But he wasn't the only one.
Speaker 3: It just felt like there's their deep as hell and their big as hell. So it's I don't know if that's a trend or if it's just like random that we got some nice, big, big men entering the calm down.
Speaker 7: I think it honestly, the last year there was a bunch of small receivers and that was kind of a thing that kind of felt more like a lip. I still think we're gonna still see a lot of big receivers. He got Romo Don Brian Thomas from LSU, who's like six foot three eighty Mitchell from Texas, who's one of my favorites in this class. He like was one of the most surprising and best athletes at the combine overall. Like you said, Roman Dunes, there's a handful of other guys that are that have good size. So yeah, it's it's definitely nice to, you know, have have some variation there, some variety, because last year, you know, it was just like a bunch of guys who are like one hundred and seventy eight pounds, and you know, obviously the NFL is changing, but it is good to have these guys with sides too.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could argue that some of these speed tests and there were more wide receivers under their four four forty than any other draft in history, So you're right. I think they were able to train for these better and prepare better. But like someone like Xavier Worthy, who he is a very small guy and all that stuff, and there's it's not you know, it depends where he goes, but he made himself a lot of money by just running fast versus other players where you kind of expected it. I would ask from a flip side from the quarterback angle, because a bunch of quarterbacks did nothing and you kind of left wondering what the rest of this market looks like. Is there a quarterback that changed your perception your mind?
Speaker 1: Can that happen to the combine? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think at the quarterback position, the one guy that stood out just from literally weighing in was JJ McCarthy because he came in at two hundred nineteen pounds and I think everyone was expecting him to be about two five or something like that. And you know, obviously you can put on there's different ways to kind of bulk up right before the combine, but he looked pretty, you know, like cut. He was obviously they run around and really tight stuff. It wasn't like he just did a bunch of donuts and gained a bunch of weight before the combine to kind of get up that weight. It looked like pretty realistic weight. So JJ McCarthy coming in at two hundred nineteen pounds was I think actually a pretty big news just because you know, they're the riggers of the NFL. You get hit a lot, you have to have a little bit of bulk, and I think, especially relative to the fact that Jade Daniels did not weigh in and to my eye just at the podium looked extremely skinny. I think just that comparison, that contrast could be pretty important come come draft time, especially because at the combine just the buzz around McCarthy was palpable and you didn't really feel that with jaj Well.
Speaker 3: There's some talk that like it could go quarterback one, two, three, four, and so that fourth would be JJ McCarthy in theory, although I don't like this whole thing where like they clearly add weight going into the combine and then they don't run. Bryce Young did this last year, and then they and they do the droid you know he was throwing the ball, and then they lose the weight for their pro day. They don't wait in there, but then they do do the speed stuff there, so it's all kind of like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 7: Speaking for what it's worth. For what it's worth, McCarthy, I believe did run the three cone. Okay, it was an elite time. So at least there's that he I was like six or eight five or something like that.
Speaker 1: Wait, no one's worried about how he moves.
Speaker 3: He moves fantastic anyways, and so it he might get a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A hardball bump that Harbaugh likes him so much that he could go top that eye.
Speaker 2: I was gonna as a follow up to that, like what is to you the McCarthy NFL comp on the on the higher end and maybe on the more conservative end.
Speaker 7: Uh So I comped him to a more sprightly Kirk Cousins. I think he's kind of a not gonna He's not gonna be super impressive physically, you know, he's kind of just right down the middle average and in terms of his arm strength, his size, his frame, his speed, everything. Uh but he's very good attack in the middle of field. He is very good on third downs and in the in the red zone. Has a little bit of swagger to him has he plays with a very confident demeanor obviously, you know, and this is important to people in the NFL. He's a winner. He's I think he lost like one game in college or something like that, and so he's you know, got all those intangibles. He's got, you know, uh again, an average frame in basically every way. And that's kind of like the Kirk Cousins line for.
Speaker 4: Me, are we going to get more first round offensive lineman than in any other his draft in history?
Speaker 7: We definitely might. This is this is a class. I have a very hard time stack in these these offensive linemen because there's so many good ones.
Speaker 3: Danny does the Draft guide, by the way, for Ringer, which is extensive in his out there.
Speaker 4: And a great read with some very uh you know, snarky, hilarious lines in there from time to time.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Yeah, it's a great class. When when I was putting my board together, it struck me, like you said earlier, like you alluded to earlier, it's just all tackles and receivers and the first like you could, I could see like ten offensive players going off the board to start this draft, and wouldn't be that surprise. So yeah, it's it's a lot of a lot of offensive linement. It's a great year to want to tackle. There's even a couple of good, uh like guard tackle combo type guys. There's a couple of center guard combo type players. So great offensive line draft draft, and overall there's gonna be a lot of them taken in the first round.
Speaker 3: Well especially yeah, because there's none in free agency. There doesn't seem like it's just enough in the NFL. And then a guy like do All goes out there and he's doing the the I don't know what they called the mobility Joe is like the three cone and everything, and he's putting up Lane Johnson type numbers. So it's like, Okay, that guy, that guy is gonna go very high. Did you have some favorites at receiver? You mentioned ad Mitchell, which, yeah, so his teammates with Xavier Worthy who runs the four two one, and that's a great moment.
Speaker 1: The crowd goes crazy.
Speaker 3: I was kind of actually thinking, just a little sidebar, like NFL network has been building to that moment for like twenty years, because he came out and was like, I've been watching the combine since I was a little kid, and it had been my dream to do this, And I was like that, literally they could have sort of created this event as an event. And then he does it and the crowd goes crazy. The crowd actually cared enough to go crazy. I was like, and he's probably got to go in the first round now because of it. Like that was a big a wig win for NFL network. It didn't exist before. But like between those two guys, like, are they first round receivers ad Mitchell, Xavi and Worthy like they it just seems like there's so many Savior Worthy. It seems like there's so many guys who could or could not be first round receivers, which makes me wonder if teams just like, wait a little bit on it, but answer that, and if you had any other receivers you want to through out there as a big winner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so. Right now, there's like the big three Marvin Harrison, Junior, Malik, Neighbors, romandun Say, and then after that there's probably six to eight different receivers I think could go in the first round. You have the two you mentioned from the two Texas receivers, Ady Mitchell Xavier Worthy, you got Brian Thomas Junior from LSU. I'm a big lad McConkey guy. I don't know if he has necessarily the size to go in the first round, but he ran a four to three nine. He's like an all around receiver. I've comped him to Doug Baldwin. He just he's just a really good round on an extraordinary acceleration. You have Keon Coleman, who is a confusing evaluation because he was actually one of the slowest receivers at the combine in terms of the forty, but then when he was running the gauntlet, they tracked like their miles prior to their speed, he was like the fastest, So you know, you get into the argument of field speed and game speed. And then there's a handful of other guys. Troy Franklin from Oregon is another player that I think a lot of people have put in the first round. I really like Jalen Polk from Washington to their second receiver. And you know, there's there's a couple other guys that could like rise in the process. Roman Wilson, Ricky Piersoll from Florida. It's at an incredible combine, so it's a big.
Speaker 3: Time for like athletic white outside receivers, like for real, it's like time and and you have Cooper Degene who's like this incredibly athletic cornerback.
Speaker 1: It is a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A paradigm shift because Maconkie and pearsall are both testing you know, Piersaw especially out of the roof, but Mconkie might be like a first round white. I mean, it's it's not Abne like this, Matt, Like this is in the minds of alert to the New England Patriots, right, but it's in the minds of like decision makers and stuff to sort of like, Okay, that's that's something that's happening like that, let's let's address for that.
Speaker 2: And then we got to move to cornerback next. A bit of a drought there since Seahorn. Hey uh, I'm Brian Thomas. Interesting right, because everybody talked about Worthy he ran close to worthy speed, But I saw this reported somewhere four inches taller, forty four pounds heavier, And then I was like, who, who's a like a beast like that but also fast as hell?
Speaker 1: And I was like, DK Metcalf, that was like is he? I know? Metcalf was a little bigger.
Speaker 2: He was two twenty eight and Thomas waited in two nine. But does he strike you and he also led FBS by the way seventeen touchdowns, Yeah, instant star, Like do you see, like, is there anyone that the draft and I'm using him as somebody that intrigues me as a potential hit the ground running like number one potential guy as Thomas or someone else that you saw this weekend that guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Thomas so Ady Mitchell and Brian Thomas Junior are kind of in that same vein and that same mold of receiver, like a sort of raw but really explosive. And they have this frame where like the six three six y four two hundred ish pound guys that's not really been like a frame that has been super successful in the NFL prior to the last few years. Now you see guys like George Pickens, Ceedee Lamb sort of is in that sort of vein where either are these taller, skinny guys And I comped. I comped Brian Thomas Junior to Christian Watson. I guess with hamstrings at work, because he, to me is just you know, again, there's a little bit of I think concern over his overall nuances a route runner and all those things. He didn't run a ton of different routes for LSU, who's running a lot of slot phadse, a lot of vertical routes. But he scores a ton of touchdowns if you get him with a good quarterback who can lead him down the field. He has that field tilting ability. And so yeah, I actually saw, you know, speaking of these two guys, Adie Mitchell and Brant Thomas Junior, I saw a tweet from Warren Sharp there's two receivers since twenty fifteen at the combine that have run four three five or better and six two and two o five or more. That's DK Metcalf and Ady Mitchell. So Adie Mitchell, to me, I think was one of the biggest winners because I think there were questions coming into the week whether he has that quote unquote long speed that you know, vertical, take the take the top off a defense type speed. And I found it interesting at the at the podiums he actually said something like I don't ever run my routes full speed, which is simultaneously interesting in a red flag. I didn't really know what to make of that because the question. The question was at basically about him varying his route speed and rolling defenders to sleep, and basically, you know, changing his speed so it's not always just like he's running full speed at all times. But I think it just kind of came out, came out a little bit wrong and a little bit leading. But he to me, was one of the biggest winners just because I don't I even wrote in my reporter like does he have the long speed. I don't know if he has that that elite vertical speed, but it sure seems like he does after the way he tested.
Speaker 4: It's pretty telling that we've gotten like we go this far into the Q and A and we haven't even talked about a defensive player. But I do think like Dallas Turner watching him run his forty and just like the way he's built, like his wings span, his arms like he to me, it's probably the first defensive guy off the board in a pretty thin class for defensive dudes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, eighty three inch wingspan, which is I saw someone put it's almost exactly the same as Labron James. And he's only six foot two, I think six foot two, so obviously his frame is almost perfectly built to play like the edge. He's really long arms, but he's still he's not lanky, he's not tall and like sort of skinny and lankies. He's just sort of perfectly constructed to rush the passer. We're in a four four seven and the forty forty and a half inch vert basically everything. All his numbers are ninetieth percentile and more from ed rushers of the combine. So he, you know, I think definitely made money. I kind of had him somewhere in the middle of the first round before this week, and I'm guessing, based just on the way he tested, teams are going to be going back and looking at the tape and being like, this is the guy that we can mold, this is the guy that we can you know, work with because of those athletic traits, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were different defensive players had nice week. Kenyon Mitchell, who was a cornerback. Maybe the top corner you know, maybe Byron Murphy is defensive tackle. But it is something interesting about this class that there might not be any defensive players in the top ten. That's why there seems to be extreme classes based on positions like the defense. You know, people are going to push cornerbacks up the board, but running back in tight end is also like there might not be anyone other than brock Bauers at tight end that gets taken in the first couple of rounds, or might there probably isn't any running backs is getting taken in the first couple of rounds.
Speaker 1: You famously.
Speaker 3: Came at the King last year and missed by telling me that Luke Muskrave was going to be better than Sam Laporta, and all Sam Laporta did was have like the greatest We went back and forth on this, and I stuck my flag on Sam Laporta's back and you went with Muskrave, and uh all did was carry a bunch of fantasy teams to titles.
Speaker 2: Don't you in the n Champions put the flag on the hill behind Sam Laporta, not the center of his back.
Speaker 4: I think Greg literally had you on the show just to get to that self brag.
Speaker 1: But texting about this just one small take, mister Kelly, your response to that assassination attempt.
Speaker 7: So the way I remember it, this is all erroneous. First of all, I very lightly suggested that I like Luke Musgrave slightly more than sam Port. I wasn't like, you know, planting a flag with with Musgrave. By the way, you forget to mention my big sleeper on the show last year. The guy that I was like willing to like stake my career on was Devon a.
Speaker 3: Chan That's a good job.
Speaker 1: That was good. You know, he was great in the six games he played. He was stopping. But that was good. That was a good one. Greg, this is our guest, literally the guest of the show. That was a good one. He nailed anything else. So we talk about do you have.
Speaker 3: Any tight ends or running back just it's just to hit the positions that that you do like because they're not going to go high in the draft necessarily. Obviously Bowers will, But is there anyone that you like?
Speaker 7: So my I think favorite running back this year is Trey Benson from Florida State. It reminds me a lot of Kenneth Walker. Just stylistically, very quick feet, very explosive. He ran a four to three nine, which is exactly what kenn Walker ran last year or two years ago. He is a big game hunter, so he's he's I think a little bit unsure sometimes behind line of scrimmage. Will try and bounce a little too often and trying to reverse the field kind of the way that Kena Walker does. It's same sort of style. But I love this guy. I think he's gonna end up probably being a third rounder, but he, to me, is the most exciting running back in this class.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you were you know, you were feet on the ground.
Speaker 4: And there's this thing that keeps happening at these combines and it's it's a civilian versus a player, and I don't think it's fair if we can bring.
Speaker 1: Up the video here, all right, what are we looking at?
Speaker 4: It is a player who is, you know, running a drill and then there's this man in a red shirt and here this guy is in a white sweatshirt holding like the big giant bag that come smatching you.
Speaker 1: They and you know, and you know it's not gonna go well.
Speaker 4: But then they replayed this in slow motion of it's like getting hit by punched by Rocky basically.
Speaker 2: So they're doing like swim drills and there's a young man getting absolutely I meanmara in this era of you know, protecting the brain, and the NFL's initiatives put that guy in a helmet at the very least, and your thoughts.
Speaker 7: Is this a guy that lost like his Fantasy League last place fan like punishment or whatever, and go out there and hold.
Speaker 1: The bags during these drills.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of a thankless, thankless job you were. You were there for all these questions by the bad job, by the guy who asked Caleb Williams as his first question, Uh, how come you don't want to compete or something like that.
Speaker 1: That's so bad. I got to leave the building when he opened like that.
Speaker 3: I know you, I knew you wanted to talk about Amarus Mims uh Danny and his comparison between you know, himself and the other prospects, and definitely the reporters in the building.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there was a picture of circulating from Ryan Fowler on Twitter that showed various mems like taking pictures of the sort of scene.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he looks like twice as big as.
Speaker 7: Anybody else, yes on that floor, So it's a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of like Hobbit perspective filming technique going on there because they're about five or six feet beyond it. But no doubt he towers over any other human in the shock.
Speaker 1: Well, and it is.
Speaker 3: And then people were someone comment, did they they realized is going to the combine for the first time. They didn't realize how many short reporters there are out there, and it is a short crew. I gotta admit, there's a lot of short guys. Like if you're just average height, that kind of looked like the munchkins right then you're you're looking tall on that crew.
Speaker 7: Picture is for for anyone who thinks they could go play NFL football right now, like go try and go try and you know, rush against that guy.
Speaker 3: He had, by the way, an absolutely ridiculous, freakish workout, which might and he's barely played at the pro level just because of injuries and then didn't have a starting job, but he might get taken extremely extremely high.
Speaker 2: All right, Washington's own Danny Kelly check him out at the Ringer. Of course, shout out his NFL draft show, his draft guide, and of course fantasy football is always on the mind.
Speaker 1: He's on that too.
Speaker 2: One other thought about Danny's because I said in TGI Friday's Summer of two thousand at the Palisade Center Mall in wes Nayak, New York, I found it to be. I weaponized it a little bit because when you're Danny with with the opposite sex or you know, whomever you're attempting to mingle with.
Speaker 1: I found that being a Danny made you seem.
Speaker 2: A little safer, a little sweeter, a little uh that guy where Yeah, more fun loving and more kind of wholesome. Almost did that play a role at all? And how others perceive you in a sweet wholesome way and manner that would allow you to succeed in various.
Speaker 8: And romantically especially Yes, absolutely, I think subtenly my personality changed when I you know, because your name is such a big part of your identity, right, like Greg, you probably had a lot of issues with like two g's in your name.
Speaker 7: Yes, how was that growing up for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: People like they still comment on it a lot. But you you are, you are, like you're you're a married man, you know you have a child.
Speaker 1: I believe you know, he's a sweet danny.
Speaker 2: But also Greg, Greg was a major swordsman in Western Massachusetts and high school, so I think being a triple G help. But anyway, I just that was a memory I had of the TGI Friday's.
Speaker 1: Run in two thousand special run for you. Absolutely agree, I agree, I agree fully with that.
Speaker 2: Yet all right, Daniel's a little bit like, oh, keep your eye on that guy. Can you keep him on an arms length Dan's legs? Kind of a bad news situation. Danny's safe, Danny, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, buddy, Danny. You guys, there he goes good one.
Speaker 4: I wanted to bring up something closer to our show because I and I opened the show.
Speaker 1: I'm a balance. I want to be balanced in my cover. Talk about another Daniel. Yes, another Daniel. This is a Daniel again. Keep Daniels at an arm's length whenever you can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think especially well, so you know, I said they had to did a great job. They brought a bunch of guests on, Joey mulnaro, who is like this incredible impressionist. I think he's one of the best out there. A huge football fan and like he he talked about growing up and coming to the combine where you'd stand in that roped off area where you would just wait to see reporters and stuff coming by. Was a big deal. He was like a football nerd.
Speaker 1: There's always there's always great fans there.
Speaker 3: There's always also the sketchy autograph collectible guy.
Speaker 1: You know I hate those guys. But that's not Joey.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Joey was a sidebar, right, because we've been to the combine many times. Can we calm down with the grown men with the helmets and the glosses. I think we could like waiting for the teenagers to walk by. There's got to be something else to do. Oh no, yeah, there's gotta be something.
Speaker 4: But this is this is someone who went Joey and so we already know we can trust him on some level.
Speaker 1: But so Joey sat with rich Eisen.
Speaker 2: And Markers standing next to like like teenage boys.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's their sons. Sometimes, Oh yeah, I was, I was at but I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I was at a women's tennis tournament just yesterday in San Diego. Walker goes up there, you buy like this big the big old ball, the big ball, big side, and there's you know, he's getting swallowed up. I let him just go up there, and he's getting swallowed up by these adults.
Speaker 1: Kind of you're gonna give like, how old's Walker seven? He's eight. You gotta give an eight year old nine year old Walker Rose a sharp elbows.
Speaker 3: No, it's seems improper the size of a seven year old sidebar ended.
Speaker 1: I will attempt to like.
Speaker 4: I just want I thought you would enjoy this where molling Arrow basically caught DJ not.
Speaker 1: Doing what he needed to be doing. Very good, let's to be here today, dream come true?
Speaker 2: Hey, Jim, Chris Collinsworth, that was wrong.
Speaker 1: I've already Oh my god, let me be the straight man. Go ahead, Okay, you the analysis, I'll be the man's got his head so burried to tap he can't Tony Romo and Chris collins Dandel Jeremiah.
Speaker 7: I think he got a career as a general manager.
Speaker 1: I don't know about them broadcaster too much.
Speaker 2: Who is that Mullinari? Yeah, I like that Pizon. I gotta go check out his next stand up show.
Speaker 4: He's great Steelers fan. I believe he listens to the show a little bit. Joey Mullinari, Molinaro, Molenaro, Molnaro, Yeah, I like him.
Speaker 1: I bet there's a lot of out there, but yeah, that's great. Goodnug Mark. You're all over the coverage this week, and I love it.
Speaker 3: I got here at any other Do you have anything else you want to get out of the comment it is it is fun.
Speaker 1: They'll start the start the draft process and get download that notebook mark O.
Speaker 4: I would say next year, if we are not invited, there will be a strongly worded letter sent to the everyone on the third floor.
Speaker 1: We will be there.
Speaker 4: I missed hanging out, I missed the fun. I missed the sights and the sounds, and yet we have soldiered on and done the best we possibly can.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the notes. No, I was just mine. Do you have any other? That was my side note?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good, and I know well player side we covered. I am very interested to see more from the quarterback tape like Michael Pennix Junior and the rest of.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, there was this guy, Isaac Cornado from Louisville is sort of what the combine made for. He is the fastest two hundred and twenty pound back in combine history. Our friend Bill Barnwell created someone called something called the speed score back in the day, which kind of adjusted weight for speed.
Speaker 2: Before there was the reception perception. Yes, with Matt Harmon, there was the speeds.
Speaker 3: The speed score, and he's I think the highest in speed score history or close to the top. Next Gen stats had had him fifth all time in terms of athleticism. There was this other you know, total workout score that had him fifth out of seventeen hundred and sixty five running back. So a big man that can move and kind of bounced around at first, but that's he has the type of day where it's like, okay, now he went from being like some seventh round pick to like some team's going to give him a chance in the third round.
Speaker 1: I was going to seven an h change type of guy. He was.
Speaker 3: He was just as fast as Devin chan and Keaton Mitchell, except he's like weighs fifty more pounds in them.
Speaker 1: What was up with you again? Agro with Kelly about a couple of different things. There is that just mix.
Speaker 4: It isn't that just parton parcel with you know Greg, the interviewers connect.
Speaker 3: That's how how do you not know this? This is how we show love in Western Massachusetts. We're all just a bunch of jerks. Apparently I go, but Danny already has texted me and wanted.
Speaker 1: An apology a correction. Yes, Devin H.
Speaker 3: Chan erasure he had almost a thousand scrimmage yards and eleven touchdowns.
Speaker 1: I demand a correction. So here it is. You got your correction.
Speaker 2: We have an audience, it's vast, and there's a responsibility comes with that. You try to totally what'd you say he played six games? I think he did have like a hunt, like six games.
Speaker 1: He played eleven. But yeah, it felt like it is weird.
Speaker 2: Not only do we have all these like star running backs hitting free agency and nobody seems to be willing to pay them. You're gonna have a draft now where it's possible it takes until round four, day two of the draft, or day three of the draft for a running back to come off the board. Now, somebody will probably jump up into the third or multiple guys, but nobody.
Speaker 1: There's no Bejons this year.
Speaker 4: It's a weird draft in terms of certain positions being slightly ghostly.
Speaker 1: Lamar Gibbs is Nobe Jeans.
Speaker 3: All right, the world where DK mccalffin agent, remember where they got drafted? Late second? Like that, that world doesn't exist anymore. People were taking their receivers. All right, take a break and we'll finish up. Welcome back. We talked about with Danny Kelly the Fantasy League.
Speaker 2: Move where the guy finished in last place has to do some type of shameful act.
Speaker 1: One of the.
Speaker 2: People in my fantasy league is someone I've known for twenty years, my league of record, Shelyn Patel, who along with his family purchased West brom just like they have the team now. And it's been a major I mean, it's been a blowing my mind and learning more about the culture of the Baggies and everything, immediately my favorite team. And we've been texting with John Gonzalez Gonzo, Colleen's husband, who's a major soccer fan, and he's been shading in some context about the move. And I've been texting, of course with Cholin about it, and there's a lot of excitement. Very strange, this convergence. It is an amazing thing.
Speaker 3: You definitely have a friend that is wealthier than any friend I have, I pretty get.
Speaker 1: I definitely don't have one that high or even.
Speaker 3: Close that is very successful, incredible, and it's incredible now we can root for them because they're in the championship. I'm going to say something wrong, but they're in the level in the league below the premier league. But they got a chance here, They got a chance, got a chance to get elevated. They're in the race, so we got something to root for. Then get to get bumped up. Make him some money.
Speaker 1: A great guy. I've seen him through the years.
Speaker 2: My buddy Greg fifty percent from the Super Bowl was roommates with him at Bapson and I've known him for years.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy, and I was.
Speaker 2: I sent out a tweet a couple days ago like congratulating him and saying that this is my new team. Dare I say this could be the team of around the NFL, the football team around the NFL, because Shelyn is a major atn fan listener makes sense anyway, So that little back and forth with me and Shellin gets picked up by a website out in England headline west Brom takeover Colon. Actually this is this is developing news. I think it's fair to say that west Brom takeover Colon. Shalin Patel invites NFL media crew that's us to the Hawthorns as new Baggies fans ready for the lead. Shellin Petel has invited around the NFL host Dan Hanss and his crew to the Hawthorns after his West Brom takeover was confirmed and now I'm gonna read the second graph as an Englishman, the American.
Speaker 9: Replied via Twitter on one match after his compatriot announced he would now be a Boggies fan from now on. After the announcement of twenty eight February, that lies time as majority hold.
Speaker 2: It was over and then there's a full quote. West Brom profile grows in the US already after Shelyn Patel takeover. We're wagging a dog over here right now at n and our our strength as a top international podcast, West Brom. This is the crossover no one knew existed and here we are.
Speaker 4: All I need was to have been included in the invitation and I are. Well, that's what I'm saying. And so you didn't reply to it, but did a wonderful job to that. So shoot Sealin a reply and I let him know that you're into it. What platform is it happening on. It's on a platform you've retired from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'll write him. I'll write him personally. I forgot.
Speaker 2: I'll let him know there's a reason you haven't repewed. You've stepped You've stepped down from your Twitter dude.
Speaker 4: I have I will find a pathway and thank him, it'll be your ghost account.
Speaker 2: You have any decent Kelsey like a press conference to give a teer full eulog of your social media I'm crafting it.
Speaker 3: Now you're gonna are you actually got to delete your account? I have a friend that that did that. They deleted it with a big following, and just I don't think let it sit there, Let it sit there in space.
Speaker 1: It is very exciting.
Speaker 3: I heard from a listener who owns a great tennis podcast, the Tennis Podcast, David Law. He said he said this takeover meant a lot to him. He's he's been a fan since very little boy. And now you know they were worried about the future of this team and your friend is saving it. Now I'm a little torn. I can root for multiple teams. You know, famously, I once wore a west Ham jersey. The second time you said famously about yourself. But it's supposed to be ironic. The point is it's not famous.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: I wear a west Ham jersey and got booed out of those stages in London. So I have I have been a support of the Hammers, but I feel like I can support both. They're in different leagues. Cool in the NFL very casual. Yes, that's true. It is is your NFL move as well.
Speaker 2: You have to know what part of the country you're in, where to wear the kits and all that.
Speaker 1: But I proudly fly the flag bloying, bloying style. So we got to get there. We got to get to London and get to that stadium.
Speaker 2: But by the way, is a great guy like I wouldn't even know that he was this business monster. Uh and I would imagine he's very smart and greatest fantasy football for whatever that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like where did he finish this year in fantasy is? I would want to know? Oh, man, I should roughly ballpark he had. You know what I can tell you.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that he had the greatest regular season of all time.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if it paid off in the playoffs, but his management of the team was pristine, so that no bag bag know that this man knows what he's doing in terms of transactions.
Speaker 3: Uh, anything else. Before we say goodbye, we're back on Wednesday. We got Connie.
Speaker 2: Connie Fox will be with us on Wednesday and we're going to do some pre free agency conversation. I feel like This should be the new theme when we have a guest coming on.
Speaker 4: All right, I really like it. I like the segue. Have coming up on Wednesday too, nice tease. Do you want to give me how it works?
Speaker 2: A Jason Kelcey Twitter retirement speech where you mentioned and balls repeatedly amidst time. But on Wednesday, I'm gonna craft it a whole show build out now. Okay, thank you everybody. Oh, and thank you. Speaking of retirements and Philadelphia legends, Sean Kelly behind the glass that we've talked about a lot on the show and is a great dude, is leaving for greener pastures and full time employment back in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: So we want to say thank you to Sean Kelly.
Speaker 7: Bud Oh, thank you so much. Guys.
Speaker 10: I did bring me on. I appreciate it. You guys are so nice. Thank you because are the best.
Speaker 3: And anyone should check out you know Sean if you're looking for stand up yes in the Philadelphia area.
Speaker 1: Is he's out.
Speaker 2: There and he's been cutting his teeth on the LA comedy scene, which is as you know, hardcore as it gets up. Tell me he's just gonna rip Philadelphia wide open with his act, his new job, which is separate from that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's gonna be big.
Speaker 10: I'm excited to do a both new great production job in Philly and then also take on that stand up scene by storm. Oh yeah, I'm gonna be running Philadelphia. Guys, it's going to be great, all right, slow down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 4: We have a pretty intimate crew of people behind the glass, and to lose someone John Kelly is not easy.
Speaker 1: But onto Greener it always stands. But I remember you're a young man show how old you?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Twenty five, twenty five. It's amazing to have this experience.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was floating. I was working at a PR firm when I was twenty five. I was like, what's happening. You are on a great path, buddy. Thank you for everything you did for the show.
Speaker 10: Thank you guys so much. It's been a pleasure. These last four seasons have been the most amazing couple of years. I've met so many amazing people, you guys included. It's been a pleasure, especially show me especially ye that yeah real phrase top.
Speaker 2: We might get another article written in the on this website. So if this becomes a little news tag on we want to get the quote right about how great we are.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, no, you guys the three greatest people I have ever met the NFL.
Speaker 1: And what order would the three of us be? Oh that always really give it to him, Just give it to him, that always.
Speaker 10: Really, you know, I'm gonna leave that one to mystery, but you all are highly regarded. The first show I ever worked on was around the NFL and when I first got here, my first day working remote in New Jersey during the pandemic, and it was the first logo I ever saw. And it's been an amazing couple of seasons. Use the guys, Puches, Love you, Bud, love you too.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's it until Wednesday. Till next time. Heed the call.