Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bill Courtney with an army of normal folks. And we continue now with part two of our conversation with mac McKinney, right after these brief messages from our generals sponsors. So a rock is where you got blowed up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went in. So I was doing interrogations and I begged, I begged to go on a mission, go outside the wire. Please let me go.
Speaker 1: Oh, because you're stuck behind doing interrogations. If you want to be out in the field, I want to be on the field.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, this is great, man, but this is like, this is like punching a heavy bag. It's not gonna hit your bag, right, and it gets boring. Uh, And they finally let me go. They gave me a team. We worked up. We had intel there was going to be a an al Qaida lieutenant at such and such building. We're gonna hood over the head bring them in, right, Yeah, so it's a big operation.
Speaker 1: Just bring them in mean alive or dead? Or did you want them alive? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You want them alive?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So we got to the building. I mean, and this is a bigger this is this isn't just like five guys. This is like, you know, you have a security team that actually cordon's off like a two block radius. Then you have an extraction team which is also your delivery team, but your distraction team which is waiting on the street so you can you know, high tail it out, and then the assault team, which was us when we went into the building. We went into the building. Man, there was nobody there. They had a bunch of stuff that was laught. All we got we well it doesn't at her because we never brought it back, but there was a there was a lot of intel there. I went back up on the second floor as my team was gathering all the information on the front or on the first floor, and because we had this big hole blown that was blown through the wall that looked out onto the street. And it's so easy for me to talk about this because I have no memory of what happened after this To this day, I don't remember. I like to joke about it because of that, because I don't have any memory of it.
Speaker 1: No physical pain, No physical pain, well that moment's pain.
Speaker 2: No, No, it was like I don't even I can't even recall hearing a boom. I just remember looking out onto the street, and being up higher, I can look around and make sure everything. You know, we're not going to walk out into something, right, because we're safe in this building. We leave, we're not safe anymore. So I want to make sure that me and my team are good to go. That's the last thing I remember. I woke up several days later with a chaplain sitting next to my bed. I come to and I was like, what the hell you know I'm looking at I know him in a hospital, right, And then I got kind of mad because I'm like, I didn't die right by my whole destiny about coming back in the flag dray Coffin.
Speaker 1: I just I'm like, oh crap, man, suping legs are wondering.
Speaker 2: I did that once before in Desert's form. I got a piece of strapping on my head up here, but uh yeah, I did that once before.
Speaker 1: But but like am I am? I all intact?
Speaker 2: That didn't hit me at first. I'm I'm just kind of like, oh man, And and I hear a noise because the chaplain jumped up, and I look over and I you know, I see him, and I see his uniform. He's got crossed right here on his chest and it's so great. That's wonderful. Uh And and he looks at me, says certain, and he says, I got to tell you something. You are a one lucky individual. He says, you died. I said what they said. Yeah, when they brought you in, they were treating you and you flatlined and the doctor brought you back. It's like I'm trying to think, and I'm like, nope, I got no stories of bright lights or anything. So I was, as far as I know, I was just asleep. And he says, he says, you have somebody watching over you.
Speaker 1: Definitely do.
Speaker 2: And I says, sir, I gotta tell you no disrespect to your position in life. But he don't want me. I'm like highlander up in here. I can't die. I've tried, and that the Chaplain's just looking at me like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: And then people started coming in telling me that they're you know, I'm being processed for medical retirement. I already had over twenty years.
Speaker 1: What happened to you? What was wrong with your body?
Speaker 2: Oh? Just I mean just scarring. Uh. I got some shrapnel scars on my on my left half and uh, my back just was obliterated. My shoulder is this dislocated? It never really healed? Right?
Speaker 1: So what happened? Was there a bomb in there?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, no, I mean.
Speaker 2: There was an id underneath the building. Uh, and the dead and so it's almost like we were set up and it.
Speaker 1: Was someone else step on it. Oh no, they remotely activated it from a phone. Once you got to a phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably a phone.
Speaker 1: So they were watching you somewhere. Yeah yeah, did you fly off the second floor.
Speaker 2: Well, so this this youngster came in. He came in to see a friend in the hospital there. It was like a mass hospital, right, He come in to see a friend. He saw me, and he's like, Sorge. He said, my god, man, he says, are you okay? I says, I don't know. Man, they're kicking me out, and he says, brother. He says, you don't even know. He says, man, the only thing missing from you was a cape because you flew straight across the street. That's what he told me. Like I said, I like to make a joke of it because it's I have no memory of it, and I'm very thankful. I'm very thankful I don't because I probably have nervous breakdown, but I have no memory of it, but it messed me up for a while. And they come in and they start telling me about the process seeing me for medical retirement, and I was like, we're not doing this. I'm going back to Rack.
Speaker 1: And he looked at me and they were.
Speaker 2: Like it was like they were military, but they were like the hospital social workers, right, And it says, hard and why do you want to go back to Rack? I looked dead in the eyes. So I'm not done killing Muslims yet. If I wasn't getting out before I said that, I was definitely getting out when I after I said that, because they just like looked at me and they're like oh, and then he walked out. Yeah. Next thing you know, I got a guy sitting across from me with his legs cross going. So how does that make you feel?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Sitting Yeah. Yeah. So now you're out and your home and you're back in Monthly, which.
Speaker 2: Was never really my home originally.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Okay, but you're in months yeah, Well, I because it was my home record, it was a mailing address for a lot of years.
Speaker 2: I had joined the Army from there when I was trying to work. You know, I had no job skills.
Speaker 1: President, there's really not much of a job in the United States for killing Muslims. Well, we the teams, we would always around like what you were good at? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we tell people, or we used to talk to my self as a man, I said, I don't know what I'm gonna do when we get out. I said, there's only three things I could really do anything. I'd be a hit man for the mob, a pimp, or a drug dealer. I don't really have any other skills. And I was like, that's so true, because I had no education. I had a GED. I got a ged was Marie or in the Marine Corps. They made me because I could have cared less. And I have no job skills. So what am I doing. I'm twenty five years old working as a labor work for a commercial roofing company. Hard work, right as a labor And I was on that roof and I'm like shoveling stuff over the side into the big, big trash bend they have, and I'm like listening to the foreman talk down to me, and I'm like, dude, you don't even know me. Because like two years before that. I mean, I was a bodyguard for President Bush when he came to small Year. He lost the election to Clinton, and he twenty five Marines got picked to be his basically bodyguards of The official title is bullet catcher as all was, you know, because he's in a war zone, right but still still and you're gonna talk down to me, man, redneck piece of tracks.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: I walked right off the job site into the Army recruiter's.
Speaker 1: Office and that's when you join the army.
Speaker 2: And say, hey, man, when's the bustle league? Dude? Come out of here? And I went back when my duty.
Speaker 1: But now you're forty five ish and inn Muncie. You spent twenty five years developing a very unique skill set that doesn't translate back to the States. No, what are you doing so nothing? But you're hating Muslims.
Speaker 2: But I'm hating Muslims. And that's the first time I noticed. I mean, they had always been there, but I've never noticed them before. And here they are everywhere, at the Walmart, at the Walmart, oh, at Applebee's. My wife at the at the at the time, she would get so nervous going to going shopping.
Speaker 1: Your wife then's name was Dana.
Speaker 2: Tell us about Emily, Oh man, I was introduced to Emily when she was four years old.
Speaker 1: This is Dana's data's daughter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Her dad's a foreign national. He's from Mexico, and uh, he got in a lot of trouble here. So he was deported with basically a sticker on his butt saying do not return. Right, So she didn't have a dad, and me and her just became like best buddies.
Speaker 1: To hear her talk about you is phenomenal. There's a short third minute documentary about what we're about to discuss and your life. We've caught it up to that point. The name of the documentary is Stranger at the Gates, right, Stranger at the Gate, and it's an Academy Award nominee. When I watched it and I listened to Emily speak about you, she revered you. You were her dad. Oh and she was just a pup at this time, right four or five, six, seven years old, and you're her. You take her riding, you take her driving, where you are she is, and you were you were her father. Yeah, and you cherish this girl, oh my gosh, more than anything and given your unique skill set. Anybody hears a harm harms a hair on her head. I imagine you could have done more than waterboard.
Speaker 2: Gladly go back to jail. I mean, I've been to jail before, gladly returned, gladly returned for an extended stay.
Speaker 1: Have no problem with that. And at the same time, you're carrying this hate for Muslims and frankly, this innate disgust that your destiny was stolen from you because now you're alive, walking around the United States and you didn't go out the way you thought you were.
Speaker 2: I had no purpose except for being this little girl's dad. Except for being a little girl's dad.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: So I had come up with a point. I found out that these Muslims, there's a lot of them here. Oh God, no, huh huh. So I had went and found out where their building was at that time. It was actually in a house that was in a neighborhood that was right off Ball State University. Is the is the university there in Muncie. It was right off campus, right and I looked at it, and this is their mosque. I guess I don't know what you call it. Well yeah, yeah, mosque.
Speaker 1: But this was their house of worship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was their house of where it was basically just a house in a neighborhood, right, And I looked around and I was like, I can't do nothing here, man, this is not a a agreeable option because of all of the Americans around here.
Speaker 1: And that's the way I looked at it. Did you feel like they were a threat? Oh? Absolutely, you felt like the Muslims that were at Walmart, at Applebee's and hanging out this house at their place of worship and we're going to school with your daughter, yeah, or a risk mm hmm. You literally thought they were looking just for ways to covertly murder you and your family and Americans absolutely and destroy your country absolutely, which is the only thing that mattered to you in the world was your country and your daughter. Yep. And you look back on it now and that is the most perturbed thinking on the face of the planet. But that is where you were. Yeah. Yeah, so you come up with a plan.
Speaker 2: I had, you know, because all my experiences, I knew how to make an ID. It's really very simple, you know, a bomb. Yeah, and uh, I don't I don't speak of it. More than that usually because the FBI had me sign paperwork that I would not disclose what was involved in the bomb.
Speaker 1: We're not going to talk about how to make it. I don't think there's any I don't think that part of the story does anybody any good. But let's just say so, after twenty five years, you could make a bomb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So, And I had started putting together over two years with the intent, with the intent that detonated somewhere with these Muslims. I couldn't do it here because of this house. It's in a neighborhood. Too many Americans around, right, so the risk to others was just too substantial.
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to do that.
Speaker 2: Then they moved and they got They took over an office building that was kind of out in the middle of nowhere, off the beaten path.
Speaker 1: Perfect became a target.
Speaker 2: I got it now. So when I actually went into the mosque that one day, the bomb was done. I just needed time, a time and date, which I'd already decided was going to be during Ramadan, which is the holy month. Because it's kind of like Catholics and Christmas Mass, right, everybody's there.
Speaker 1: So there were there was the biggest opportunity for the greatest about a carnage and damage on that day.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was going to be a Friday afternoon during the month of Ramadan, because I knew they would all be there and you were going to plant this thing at their place and blow them up. I already had a place for it everything. It was just a matter of just waiting.
Speaker 1: You realize that that would make you no different than the men who flew the planes into the World Trade Zone. I know that now, But you didn't see yourself as a terrorist. You saw yourself as a patriot. Absolutely absolutely. Do you find it at all ironic that one of your memories of your grandfather was wearing you out for hanging out with a quote and I'm quoting what your grandfather said, colored kid. And your greatest visceral reaction as an adult was when a Muslim person side across from your daughter. Do you find it interesting that from a very young age, that idea was somewhere in the deepest rests of your brain, probably baked into you.
Speaker 2: I didn't even I didn't even till I had already changed. Didn't even see the irony in it all, because it literally is the same thing literally is the same thing of what I felt as a little kid to what my daughter was feeling right now.
Speaker 1: And how do you how do you process that?
Speaker 2: When I finally figured that out, I didn't even know. I was kind of like I was ashamed. Well, I mean, you know, I spend a lot of time in the shame arena anyway, just dealing with my past. But it was there was just so much shame.
Speaker 1: It was like, man, you.
Speaker 2: Are the dumbest individual. Walk upright, man, I mean, how could you not see this?
Speaker 1: So you walk into this newly opened house of worship for Muslims in Muncie, Indiana, and you are on part recon mission because if you're looking around, you're also seeing where the softest place is for this bomb to blow up and everything else I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I had already had a spot picked out that was on the opposite side of the building because there were buildings over here, and I knew that they would be hit by some of the debris, but I was trying to make it as less as possible, so that would have been an acceptable collateral damage. In military planning, there was an acceptable and an unacceptable collateral damage that would have been acceptable.
Speaker 1: So I read that when you were going off on the Muslim community, your daughter looked at you like you were nuts, and she couldn't understand why you were so angry and had so much hatred toward Buslims, no differently than you didn't understand your grandfather exactly. And so part of the idea of showing up at this mosque was to find out the truth about these people so that she would understand why you blew them up.
Speaker 2: One day, I was looking for tangible proof I knew the way I felt was the right way.
Speaker 1: You knew they were murderers, Oh I knew, and you know they were head choppers, and you knew they were here to destroy America. That's all you knew that you wanted to prove to her.
Speaker 2: I needed something to show her. I needed, you know. So I went there, introduced myself as somebody just wanted to learn a little bit more about Islam, right, even though I come from the mindset that even today a lot of people say I learned all I needed to learn about Islam on nine to eleven. But that's the way. I just wanted that proof because I knew I was going to get caught. I'm not get away with this. Are you serious? You know? I mean you no, I didn't. I didn't because I saw it as that patriot, patriot, another chance to die for my country. I wasn't going to get a flag, Dray Coffin. I would not even get a military funeral because of what I did. And none of that mattered. I actually believe that years down the road they were going to build statues to me. I actually believe that in my own mind.
Speaker 1: You know. So you go in this place to.
Speaker 2: So I went in, yeah, and I mean and I was met with kindness. And I remember walking in and uh, you know this one guy he actually played NBA. He was African American and he was sitting on a bench and he got got up in the shoe room because you take your shoes off before you go in there. And it took him like three minutes to stand up, that's how tall he was. African American gentleman. He recently passed and it was a very sad moment for the community. But he played NBA basketball in the seventies. He dealt with a lot of racism himself, right because of that. But you know, he looked at me, and he smiled, and he says, can I help you? Because he knew I was like, why am I here? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can only imagine this twenty five years of being basically a rugged jar head walking into a place that he hates and he despises everybody in it. You couldn't have been walking in with a big, old charismatic smile on your face. It was rough. It was rough.
Speaker 2: In the film, people say that they could tell something was wrong, right, I'm not an actor. I tried, but it was hard to cover up a lot of things, right. I tried to smile. I tried to I shook hands, you know.
Speaker 1: But it was rough.
Speaker 2: And then I got introduced to the Southern African American gentleman closer my own age. He's a little bit younger than me, and he's the one who actually handed me a koran. I know in the film it says Bbe handed me a koran, but it was actually him. He says, He says, hey, he says, you want to learn about Islam. I want you to take his home and I want you to read it. Come back and find me when you got questions. I tell Muslims out to day, I said, if you ever anybody comes up to you and they want to learn it, they want to know about Islam, hand him a Koran and tell them to come back and find you when they got questions, right, because that's the best advice in the world. And I was overjoyed at this point because now you got the doctor went to the bookstore and got a Koran. I never even thought of that, never even thought of that. I'm like, I got the Holy Grail to evil.
Speaker 1: They just handed it to it.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, they're going to explain it to me.
Speaker 1: It was like, that is hilarious. I'm like, I'm like, this is oh.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even imagine me and cruse of.
Speaker 1: My daughter that blowing these folks up and terrorize them and murdering them is the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: So I jumped into it, man, I jumped into I I I that was ended up becoming my passion. I'm going to read this book and I'm gonna I'm gonna highlight underline all kinds of stuff. Man, you thought I was in a Bible study or something, right, And I'm just I'm going out. I'm going back to the mosque. It wasn't Ramadon. Yet I was there more often than some of the Muslims were, and I'm going back and hey man, what about this. This don't sound too cool. And then they explain it to me and it's like, well, I was contextualizing a lot, and they would explain, Okay, here's what happened before, and here's what happened after, and that's the reason this is right. Oh, that's not a lot different than the old Tustaman. Okay, I got you, I got you, okay, h And I go read some more and I come back and you know, and then finally, you know, with the other stuff that I had going on on my own subconscious or whatever, I know, it's a change was happening. And one of the biggest things on the surface was the fact that through reading this book and spending time with these people, you know, it's the same thing with all religions, Right, we have a text and we try to live our life as close to that text as we can. Right, it's impossible to be one hundred percent because we're human and we're.
Speaker 1: Not making the first twenty five years text for you was probably the Marine Handbook.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Absolutely, he's to be able to recite stuff by heart, not a problem. So I'm reading this and you know, yeah, there's some things in there that are questionable, and it's like, okay, well they got explained to me. And then I keep reading. It's like, there's not really any hate in this book, and there's not it's not here, you know, and I'm thinking, okay, well, what about these people over here, the people in my community, right, we're acting close to what it says in this so they're actually being what would be quote unquote good Muslims. Right, all of my understanding of what Islam was and how Muslims act were the ones that were shooting at me. And I could find things in the Quran that they were doing that was un Islamic to begin with. And I was like, oh, so I should not be getting references about what this faith is from them, but instead from them. So that started things changing. I'd never consider myself an intellectual person, but I started. I started going through this, I started thinking about it, and I kept reading. I kept reading, and you know, I come across passages of chapter five, thirty second verse where it says, to save one human life is as if you had saved all of humanity, and I'm like, wow, wow, But to kill or take one human life is as if you killed all of humanity, so that totally blew these people away. I had no nothing for them anymore.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, all right. I'm a Christian. I also like to consider myself. I really like to understand different viewpoints. I also think faith regardless of your denomination, your Christian denomination, or whether you're you subscribe to Islam or Hindu or what, I think it's a very personal thing. So I'm gonna tread lightly. Well, let me say it a different way. I don't do much lightly. I'm gonna tread respectfully. I know that saying. I've heard it before. To take one life is to take all of humanity, and to save one life is save all of humanity, or something like that. It's close, right. I know I'm not quoting the Koran, but that's the Gist's what's the version, Chapter five two, verse five thirty two. The men who flew the planes into the world trades and in the Pentagon that Americans today who served there cleaning it up are still dying of cancers, some of which don't even have a name. So the three thousand odd people that died on that day are just a drop in the bucket of the people that are still dying from that event, and it is horrific. I know a lot of people who are Muslim, who are American Muslims, who are affected no differently by that event than I am, exactly. But the fact is the people who flew those planes into those buildings were yelling Allah bar and subscribed to a faith that they called Islam. And what five point thirty two says and what they did don't agree, No, they don't. I want to give you an opportunity to a largely non Muslim audience to help me, as an American and a Christian, understand that.
Speaker 2: And that is the difficult And I appreciate you asking me that question.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 2: I I'm being very serious because that that that's the kind of questions that need to be asked, right and and and and and Unfortunately, there's not a lot of Muslims that are willing.
Speaker 1: To go there. No, there's not. And that's also a problem asking that's respectfully, they're their own worst enemy to their faith by not going there, just like a Christian is his own worst enemy to his faith. When the over someone who's on the fence about faith and Christianity and they hear the narrative, believe like me, or you're rotten in hell for the rest of your life. If that is what my faith is, we got a tough thing to sell, you know what I mean? And that is not Our faith is about love and grace and redemption and forgiveness and and and all of that. I do not believe that Muslims are gathered around a Kuran trying to figure out how to kill the next three thousand Americans. And I hear what you're saying about five point thirty two, but it is hard for an American Christian to know who those people were and what they were subscribed to, as well as Osama bin Laden, as well as all that's going on across the country and in the Middle East right now. Help us, help us understand it.
Speaker 2: Sure, so, I'm not a geopolitical expert by no means need neither, But I do have an understanding Christianity, which I have the utmost respect for and love. Matter of fact, somebody asked me one time how hard it was for me to convert from Christianity to Islam. I said, well, I wasn't a Christian, and they said what I said, No, I was not a Christian, I said, I would never say it was a Christian, I said, and that's only because of my love and respect for that religion. The way I was acting, the way I was speaking, that's not.
Speaker 1: Christian you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so it's out of that respect for Christianity. But with the terrorists, because that's what they were, the terrorists, they are labeled as Muslims because that was the claim. Too many people came out afterwards claiming that yes they were Muslim, they were devout.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't.
Speaker 2: I my religion has a restriction to where I can't say somebody's not a Muslim. I can't say that.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed to judge it. Yeah, Christianity has the same same deal.
Speaker 2: So I'm not going to say that they weren't Muslims. I will say for the for the simple fact that they were not in any way, any way, shape or form, acting Islamically. They were driven, brainwashed, I don't know, agreed retribution, payback. One of the things that really got Osama bin Laden started was desert storm. He had told the Saudi government because where that's where he was from and where most of the hijackers were from.
Speaker 1: Right an American ally, Yeah, I know, I don't understand, which a lot of people did not forget.
Speaker 2: I do not want to get on that soapbox. But anyway, so he offered his Mujahideen holy warriors right from Afghanistan to come back to Saudi Arabia or to go to Saudi Arabia where he was from, to defend against Iraq, because that was Saddam's plan, was he was gonna keep going south right.
Speaker 1: He ye, and then yep, and until you guys showed up.
Speaker 2: Well that that was what hurt, you know, as I you know, excuse my reference, but he was butt hurt. He got but hurt because because the Saudi government said, now we got the Americans coming, it's cool. You guys just stayed there and it's all right. That's what started the whole contemplation of how to get back at America. And the fact that we were in fidels, which is not even a proper term to be used in that in that statement, but and we were on the holy land, Saudi Arabia's you know, two holy sites in Saudi Arabia's three holy sites in Islam ones in Jerusalem and the other two are in Saudi Arabia, and so we kind of like dirty up to the land. In his eyes, right, he did have a lot of geopolitical interests. He was a man of means, money and he was going to do everything he could in his mind. Well, I don't even know what his understanding of Islam was. I have no idea, And to be honest with you, I'm not really interested because he's nobody.
Speaker 1: To me. He was.
Speaker 2: He was a bad person. I will say that he found a way because he was a very correct, charismatic person. I mean, look at what he did. You know, he was able to get people to follow along with his ideas, even as far as giving up their own life. That is brings back stories of John Jones.
Speaker 1: David Kriesh, I was just about to say to you and to our listeners as you're listening to this, what you're saying is men of power take uneducated folks and perturb a religion to make them extreme in order to carry out acts that have nothing to do with faith or religion but are more about geopolitical and social issues. And if you have your hard time to get your arms around that. As a Christian American, you need to try to remember that right next to often times strung up black Americans for the burning Christian cross yeah and bibles that is not Christianity. Is a perturbing of a faith. Yeah. And if you can't get your arms around that this has happened among many fays and many cultures, then you'll never understand that the people who subscribe to Islam that flew the planes into the buildings and the Pentagon are not with the vast majority of the people worshiping in mosques think or believe absolutely, you know and it but you hate Muslims. Well, I'm gonna let you get to the rest of it here in a minute. But is that a fair statement what I said? Absolutely, But you didn't know that when you showed up and you asked kron and you're going to prove to your daughter while blowing these folks up is a good thing. And then people started hugging you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that was not to mention being a veteran, you know, I mean I hugged people anyway, you know, which has got me into some trouble because in Islam we're not to shake hands or to hug women, right that are not related to us. So I was speaking at a Holocaust museum in Chicago and Jesse Jackson's daughter came there to see me, and she came up to me and just reached out and give me a hug. There was pictures taken that became a total social media nightmare for me. Really, yes, because we call them the halal police. Right, Halal means permissible, Haram means impermissible. Okay, so what was happening was haram. We call them the halal police because they'll come out, Oh, you.
Speaker 1: Can't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that, brother, Oh what do you thinking? What are you thinking?
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, my gosh, man, the woman hugged me.
Speaker 2: The woman hugged me, and.
Speaker 1: By the way, and there's nothing behind us, so take a pill.
Speaker 2: Well I did feel that way, I really did. At first, I became very defensive and I lasked out as some of these people, and then one person calmly explained it to me. He says, yes, of course, there was nothing meant by what you were doing, nothing at all from either person involved in that. But you're a public figure now, people look up to you. Especially the young people. They see stuff like that. It confuses them. Yes, was there any harm done?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Not really. My wife knew about it. She didn't care. And that's the only one I'd care to be upset about it, right, because she knows. But it's how it perceived, right, And and so you know, that's a lot of times when a woman comes towards me, you know, and I know she's gonna ask to shake my hand, you know, and it's it. I just put my hand up to my chest. I think I did that out there, right, Yeah, that's right, you didn't. You did.
Speaker 3: It's done as a means of respect, not disrespect. So there's a matter of this bomb you made.
Speaker 1: So now you've found out these people in this mosque or loving decent people, and you're not going to explode them anymore. But le's they shows up at your apartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I can, let me go back a little bit, Yeah, to explain the whole concept of what you were thinking. Because of the ignorance, right, surrounded by not only Muslims with their own faith, but Christians also back in the Middle A, right, a large part of christiendom was ignorant they couldn't read and write, right, they were serfs and they worked, and that's all they did. They didn't They're the only people that could read and write were the priests, and they were all families. And the Bible at that time was in Latin anyway, So the priest told you what the Bible said. They were the interpreters of the Bible exactly, which is not any different than what a minister or preacher is now is an interpreter of of what it's saying, right to to give out to his to his people, to this congregation, right, and and and that's and that's good. It should be that that's what the moms do, right, right, the good of moms. So which I will get to. So we have crusades, we have the heresy of the knights. Templars, right, nice templars, didn't do anything wrong. French king and the pope at the time got together. France was broke. Templars are controlling all the land in the Middle East, in the area of Jerusalem and surrounding areas. So oh, let's make them heretics, and that way we just confiscate their property. So now we're not broke, right, that's a true story that actually happened Afghanistan. We had captured a or not we not me, but the American forces there had captured a would be suicide bomber. He was going to drive in a truck full of explosives into the gate at Camp leather Neet, which had been done anyway, eventually got done anyway, It's not by him. So I sat in on this interrogation. This guy, the guy who was doing it, was doing the interrogation, was actually a Muslim. It was a marine who had converted Islam, married a local girl, okay, and he was all into it. Man. I used to tease him all the time in a fun way, but really I could have just like cut his throat right there. That's the way I felt about him, right. But he would keep this little knapsack and he'd have a Koran in English and a Koran in Pashtun, which was what his wife spoke, right, So he was he was constantly looking at it, constantly looking through it and trying to learn.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And so we get this guy in there. He's leaning forward in a chair that's bolted to the ground with chains that are also on these like hooks. The I forget what they're calling.
Speaker 1: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And they were in there his hands. Yeah, very very uncomfortable position. And we're talking to him, and he threw interpreters. He pipes up and he says, he says, if I kill the infidel, I'm guaranteed Heaven right now. You hear that statement a lot.
Speaker 1: What we think. I'm so glad you're doing this because I was going to ask about it.
Speaker 2: And and this is where this is where going back to nine at eleven, how this kind of ties in. The interrogator at that time picked out in me says, really, hold on a second, goes over to his knapsack, gets the Koran out and pashtune, slides it across the table, tells him through interpreters, if you can show me where it is in that book that it says that, I'll let you go. The dude sunk his head.
Speaker 1: And said, I can't read.
Speaker 2: I can't read. That's what the mom told us. So there's a tie in there, okay. And and and that's a huge part that still is is throughout Islam is a large portion of our population throughout the world is ignorant. They can't read. They can't write. And that's how you get these guys who have agendas to tie in that.
Speaker 1: Can indoctrinate the most needy and uneducated among them to do their bidding for things that have nothing to do with their religion.
Speaker 2: Right now, it's it's the duty of all Muslims to try to memorize the Koran, okay, even parts of it. So I know they have memorized parts of the Quran, but they don't have the educational background to even decipher what they're what they're reciting. So it's it's like, you know, it's I can read something, but if I don't know what this word means, or I don't know how this sentence structures. Yeah, you know, I don't. I don't know. But all this guy's explaining it to me. He's a respected person, you know. So there's so many similarities there, especially from the early Church to Islam too, and and and and I don't speak a lot about Judaism because I really don't know that much about Judaism, but but I'm sure there's a tie in there too.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. You went in looking to kill them all and ended up loving them all, and frankly them loving you, but you still made a freaking bomb. And we're playing around blowing these folks up. And at some point, I know the FBI catches wind of the pre mentality you.
Speaker 2: Well, so here's how that happened. It had already happened, you know, I mean, this conversion, this change of heart, whatever you want to say. I had disposed of a bomb, disposed of all the parts properly, then just throw them in a dumpster. I got it, and it's went on about my life. I now, nobody at this point even knows what you're plans for. Anybody that knew me knew I hated Muslims.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no idea. They had no idea of your building. You kept that under your hat, just me. Nobody else got it until that. So, so I was.
Speaker 2: I was in college now because the VA, you know, I'm part of the system now in the VA says, hey, why why don't you go to cause I can't do labor work. I would have loved to have been to welder, but your back's shot, can't do it got blown up. Yeah, so I have to do a behind a desk job now, you know. So I have to go to college for that because I'm I'm dumber in the box of rocks. Okay, so I got to learn something, right. And so I'm in I'm in class, and I'm forty somedd years old, mid forties, and I'm so. I had a different relationship with my professors than the twenty something students. We were actually more friends.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was sitting in an office drinking coffee with one of my professors and I don't even know why. I don't know what started the whole conversation, but I told her. I told her the story.
Speaker 1: You're kidding me? No, you said, hey, you know what, Yeah, I built a bomb and I was going to blow these fools up. Now I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How'd that go over?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah. She was like, oh my gosh. And she knew me on the outside through charity organizations stuff that I had been a part of and start and done stuff for and everything like that, so she knew I was not just talking to be talking, right, And she goes, oh my gosh, she goes, you have got to tell that story that could change people's lives. I'm like, really, I didn't think nothing of it, you know, it's something that happened it's over whatever, you know, And she says, what are you doing the rest of the days? Said, well, when I finish this coffee, I was can go home and go to sleep. I ain't got nothing else to do. She goes, no, you got my next class tell that story.
Speaker 1: So I did.
Speaker 2: Somebody in that class was shocked that here this guy is saying that he made a bomb.
Speaker 1: An unbalanced former marine in our midst.
Speaker 2: And now he's a Muslim.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: No, he's making phone calls saying you got check his dude out. And there there they come. And it was funny because you know, a lot of times I and I think this is a guy thing too, where we'll say stuff and is like, as soon as it leaves our mouth, we're trying to reach out and grab it back.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because they showed up, introduced themselves, and I was like, what took you so long? That's what I said to him. And as soon as I said that, I was like, dude, oh man, And and so we talked. It started out as a like a health and comfort kind of visit, right to make sure I was.
Speaker 1: Okay waterboarding, but they were investigating.
Speaker 2: So we talked about it and I told him I said, yeah, it's going So they said, well, do you mind if we uh do an investigation for explosives here in the house. And I said, At half hour later, I'm handcuffed in the front lawn, bomb dogs going through my house and then my wife and my daughter pull up.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: They didn't know anything. Even after the fact, they didn't know about it. I didn't even tell them, and I already told her a professor at school.
Speaker 1: You know, I tell you.
Speaker 2: So I'm like most husbands. I don't tell my wife nothing. But but but it was, it was, you know, that was that was the beginning at the end of that marriage. Because there's people in FBI jackets, local police department, and I'm in a I live in an apartment complex. It's a big deal. Everybody's out.
Speaker 1: I read and they didn't find it, and they found you to no longer be a threat and all of that. What is astonishing to me is now you have to tell these people that you've now joined in your house of worship that yeah, I was gonna kill all y'all and they invited you to dinner.
Speaker 2: Well, hospitality is big in the Islamic world, especially in the postun culture, and Bib and her family are from that culture. They're from Afghanistan, so hospitality is big.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 2: I used to make the joke, I said, because people we would always when we were doing as you know, those where you go around and do the premieres and all that stuff, and people would ask about the food, right, because Bbe is like, out of this world a cook. I mean, she's oh my gosh. And I tell people, I said, man, I used to wear one hundred and ninety pounds before I went to her house. I'm two fifty six, all right, And I said, yeah, don't even drive by her house because you will look in your every mirror and should be chasing you down with a plate. That's the way she is, right, Oh, man, I love her so much.
Speaker 1: But so.
Speaker 2: It was the fact that it was being talked about because things were being heard because of course I started talking about it, not telling them like I said. I still I told that class. I'm not, like I said, I'm still not that smart. I never graduated high school. I have two degrees now, but I never graduated high school and you would. And so it's proof that just having a degree does not make you smart.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They had heard about it, and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, unbeknownst to me, and she she did. This was not the first time she invited me to her house, but now, yeah, she she had intentions.
Speaker 1: Now, well, no, I just wonder if in my church there was a former Muslim who fought for the Iranian Republican Guard who had formerly gone as far to build a bomb and had plans to put it under our sanctuary on Christmas Eve, who then converted and we found all this out, if our first reaction would be, hey, let's have him over to dinner to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know, Well that's what happened. Yeah, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we need to check ourselves just a little because to me, that is the ultimate in grace and courage, because I gotta believe there were people in her community going what Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people still get they still get a laugh out of that, regardless of whether they're in the community or not, they still get a laugh out of it, because yeah, it's like, are you serious? I wouldn't want that person in my house, right.
Speaker 1: And she invited you to her home with her family for dinner.
Speaker 2: And there was friends there too. There was other other people from the community they were there also, and you know, I was just talking to everybody, and you know, I I guess looking back, I noticed it was an uncomfortable feeling that was kind of in the air, I would assume, but I did. It didn't really hit me much, you know, because I mean, here, I'm I'm I'm one of you, now right. You know, I didn't even didn't even give it a much thought.
Speaker 1: I also read that one of your all right, in a church, it's a prishoner. What do you call a fellow islam worshiping person from your house of worship? What do you call that person? Is there for that?
Speaker 2: It's his brother?
Speaker 1: Okay, brother or sister or sister. He's an African American guy who's American, grew up in America, whose grandfather was castro and hung in Munthsy, Indiana, who hated white people. Who is now your brother? Oh yeah, How did he take the news of the bomb?
Speaker 2: Well, he was just like everybody, I guess when they did really, when they did find out, he.
Speaker 1: Was shocked, you know, even he for grieve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean see, And that's that's the similarities of what our faith stands for.
Speaker 1: We have to forgive.
Speaker 2: And there's even a psychological advantage to that, because nobody's asking you to forget anything. But when you forgive, you let everything go and and and that's the beauties of our religion. If there's punishment to be dealt, it's not by us, and it's not really even our concern mac.
Speaker 1: My faith teaches that not only do you have to give others, you have to give yourselves. How you doing with that?
Speaker 2: In large?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 2: And the only reason I say that is because people have come up to me and they have told me that I have helped, I have answered questions, warned parts, give people hope. I don't think I'm a big deal.
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 2: I'm just a guy with a story. I really. I mean, that's the way I look at myself, right, And and it is very humbling at times, you know, But but I always go back to one of one of my favorite comments that I had ever received on my message. And I won't tell you exactly what he said, because it was it was it's the way I used to talk, right, But but he was very he was very honest, and he said, if a tough guy like you can change the way he thinks about things. I guess I can too. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the payoff, isn't it. That's it. We'll be right back. I got a question. What do you feel like you have to forgive yourself for? Because in the film, the documentary, you talked about having a hard time at first forgiving yourself and I found that to be odd because you didn't blow the bomb up. So we're not talking about the bomb, I assumed, and correct me if I'm wrong. You're talking about the twenty five years in the military. Absolutely, but make you were serving under orders doing a really unsavory but unconvenient and uncomfortable truth that we have to have people defending us or we won't be able to have conversations like this because you can't have this conversation a lot of countries in this world, we have that liberty, and that liberty is precious and it requires guys like you who did the work that you did in the military to provide us with the freedoms to explore and understand and grow from one another like this. So what do you need to forgive yourself for? Is it the fact that you killed people that worship like you do. Now, it.
Speaker 2: Encompasses a lot of things. Really, it's the shame that I got enjoyment out of it. So now I you know, you had sayd something with which is really a very prominent misunderstanding. Okay, is that you mentioned we were under orders. That's part true because I rose up in rank, okay, and the higher I got it basically a lot of times became my call. We were given a task. You go from here, you go here, and you make it safe. That's the task.
Speaker 1: How is a different deal?
Speaker 2: How's a different deal?
Speaker 3: I do have.
Speaker 1: Issue with that and the fact that I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: On the surface, I guess because I would come back from operations that I would set and cry for a while on my own, just go somewhere. I cry because it was hard, you know. And the hardest thing was even I mean, I understood the reason behind it, but even the dead children.
Speaker 1: Man, you can't some things you cannot see.
Speaker 2: You just can't, man.
Speaker 1: And it.
Speaker 2: It'll haunt me for the rest of my days, man, And I know God's forgiven me. You know, it's our thing. Like the Baptism and Christianity, right, sins are worst away. At that point you start over, right, we take shaht it's decoration of faith, right, and we do that publicly. Once we do that, sins are gone. At that point start again. So I do feel in my heart that God's forgiven me. And in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if I ever forgive myself or not? Not? Really, God forgive me, That's all that matters.
Speaker 1: Right, But.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's just uh man, it's a hard thing.
Speaker 1: It And there's men and women all of our country who served our country dutifully that are all still probably dealing with a lot of that. And that is the price they pay for our ability to have this chat today.
Speaker 2: Very true, very true. You know one in five homeless people are veterans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, yeah, I read that not too long ago. That is shameful.
Speaker 2: That is shameful. And you know, as in on the government speed we can send billions of dollars in military aid to a country, but we come back here and we sit down and go, yeah, all economic problems because all the single moms on food stamps.
Speaker 1: What you are now married to a Christian woman, which is hilarious. You are you have been the president of your mosque twice, and you've taken the opportunity of your story and a documentary that's an OSCAR nominated documentary. It's only thirty minutes. You guys should watch it. That's had over a million views. And now you have a social work degree. Tell me what you're doing with your life now.
Speaker 2: Well. So I do have a degree in social work, which means I'm broke. I was working as a life coach, and when this film kicked off, and I was going here and there for all the premieres and everything, I decided to step down. I resigned from my position. And because I want to focus on this message. And it's not to say that this message is an end all, it's not. It's a step. I don't look at myself as somebody that's fascinating necessarily or I'm nobody special.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, my teachers just say that about me. But I'm nobody special, right, And I just want people to stop and think. So I travel and I meet with people, not all of them like me. I've had death threats, you know. I tell people, considering the first part of my life was people trying to kill me. If that all of a sudden stopped. I probably go through some kind of separation anxiety.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's I'm.
Speaker 2: Good, I'm good. Keep it up, guys. But but so I I just want people stop and think. You don't have to agree with me. Some people are not going to agree with me. Most people might not agree with me. That's fine, but stop and think there may be other options. I use the example of a hand.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You have you lay your hand out, spread your fingers, and this signifies differences in humanity, whether it's religion, race, you know, uh, social culture, whatever, it doesn't matter. Right, and it's a hand. It's a tool. You can do a lot with a hand. Right, But when it comes to having things that have to be done and it has to be done the right way and you have to stand firm, what do you do bring it all together? Because this, my friends, is unbreakable, and until we can get to this, it's not gonna work.
Speaker 1: Matt, your story is crazy. From a drug dealing and using high school drop out to a twenty five year veteran of our military who learned to hate Muslims, who got blown up, who decided he was going to blow up some Muslims and wanted to prove that that was a good thing to do to the one thing he loved on the face of the planet, which was his daughter, And through trying to prove that, found love and faith and forgiveness not only of himself but of everything, and converted Islam and is now trying to use all of that experience to get people to just listen to one another. That's your life, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I usually end my talks with Years ago, very wise Man made a statement that will forever live in history. He said, I have a dream, I have a plan, and it starts with a smile and a conversation.
Speaker 1: I love that. Mac. If somebody wants to meet you here, you have them speak. How do they find Mac?
Speaker 2: I am all over social media?
Speaker 1: Give me some handle? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did start an LLC called From Hate to Understanding. If you want to write an email, it's from hate from hate to Understanding all one word at gmail dot com that go straight to you, I go straight to me. Yeah, I'm not I'm not that big. I don't have people doing my paperwork stuff for me. I don't read my emails. I do TikTok. I'm an old guy, but it gets to the young people. And that's this Richard mack McKinney on TikTok and Facebook, I can't invite anybody to Facebook because I'm full.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: That's a limit? No more friends after five thousand?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard McKinney, everybody otherwise known as Mac brother, thanks for coming to Memphis spend some time with me and sharing your story and sharing it so openly. I have really enjoyed being able to discuss some of the things that I think people really wonder about. And I hope we've challenged some people to maybe think about things differently, because, as you know, I don't think the narratives coming out of DC or the national media do anything but serve to divide us. And I think when an army of normal folks, regardless of how you worship, what you look like, who you love, or what you believe, can come together and have open, civil, non threatening conversations about the stuff that we differ on, is how we can maybe close that hand. One day and you're at the tip of the sphere. You've been on a tip of the spear of your whole life, and you're the tip of the sphere of another fight. And I'll tell you I sleep well at night knowing there were men like you on the wall back when you were serving our country in the military. And I sleep well at night knowing there's men like you on the wall the tip of the spear trying to close the frist. And I appreciate you joining us fun, Thank you, thanks you being here, and thank you for joining us this week. If Richard McKinney or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, inspired you to take action by bringing Richard to speak to a group in your area or something else entirely, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us. I personally will respond. And if you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends and on social subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it. Please consider becoming a premium member at normalfolks dot us. All these things that can help us grow an army of normal folks guys. The more folks, the more possibility we have to make an impact. For premium members, we'll have bonus content from this episode, with Mac telling the story of nominating his now friend BB, a woman to be the head of their mosque, which is revolutionary. If you don't want to miss it, become a Premium Member today. I'm Bill Courtney. I'll see you next week.