Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, and thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: It's a very special, exciting day because this episode kicks off the second season of Table for Two. We're thrilled to be getting back into the swing of things at my favorite joint in Hollywood, the Tower Bar.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Hi, Hi sweet Hi.
Speaker 2: You might notice that the room is buzzing a bit more than usual, and I think it's because everyone knows we're having lunch with today's guest. She's a brilliant actress who has acted on Broadway, television and in many incredible films. Her latest movie, The Holdovers, has earned her a Golden Globe Award, a Critics Choice, a BAFTA, and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
Speaker 1: To top it off, she's.
Speaker 2: Been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Speaker 4: If I could get a saucer, water and Arnold Palmer, that'd be perfect.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's right. Today we're having lunch with the one and only enjoy Randolph.
Speaker 2: So pull up a chair, grab a glass of rose, and join us for the first episode of season two. I'm Bruce Bossi and this is my podcast, Table for two. You know what's really amazing about you is And I had no idea your parents took a job.
Speaker 1: You grew up in Hershey and they were house parents, is there.
Speaker 3: Which is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I grew up in Philadelphia and then in eighth grade, my parents got a When I was in Philadelphia, I went to prep schools. My mother in particular, because my mother is an educator, they made sacrifices so that I could go to private schools and prep schools my entire education. But I was a what do they call it a day so I would get bused from the inner city and go to these like beautiful suburbs and have this whole other life and come back. I remember coming back and the first time I had sushi.
Speaker 3: At school and just being like, well, what is this? I love it?
Speaker 4: And I remember my parents sat me down and they said, you have to promise us, if you're going to have these opportunities, that when you come back home, you introduce us to it, you introduce your friends to it, so that this world is not just your own. Bring back what you learn and share, right. They their parents were adamant about We're going to still live in the inner city, but we're going to go have that experience and then you bring back what you've learned and you bring that back into your community. And that's something that I'm still aimed to do right and try very hard to do.
Speaker 3: So that was up.
Speaker 4: Until eighth grade, and then we moved to Hershie because there's a very big boarding school there. The difference with that boarding school is that at the time we're there, it could have changed. I'm not sure, but the mission was that it was it first turned off that Milton Hershey, the man who made the chocolate bar, his wife couldn't have kids, and so they created an orphanage and it was a boy's only orphanage. Then it was boys and girls, and then that orphanage then turned into a school.
Speaker 3: So where I think, and I don't know how all schools are ran of these kind of like boarding.
Speaker 4: Schools, but this is a boarding school. At that time, there was a bit more for at risk youth, so less of like affluent families dropping their kids off. It was more of at risk youth giving them an opportunity. Some how, I had opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Go to these places. And so my.
Speaker 4: Parents were house parents are like dorm parents, and so we had this big house and we had like ten to twelve kids.
Speaker 1: That is kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I know, not only going to school in these environments and then living in this environment all throughout high school. So yeah, I definitely think that had an influence on it, and how my parents had to be parents to all of us, especially because it's you know what I mean, So some people don't have parents in their life. For some people are raised by their grandparents or you know what I mean, whatever their situation is.
Speaker 3: And so it's always remember how.
Speaker 4: When some kids got left for the holidays or you know, parents couldn't take them or whatever for whatever reason, how my parents would try to make it a little extra special or you know, I've experienced holdovers before my mom as a teacher, so that never stopped.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And their house parents, so it's not like a dorm person in a college sense, where like they only step in when there's a problem.
Speaker 3: They're in middle school, high school, they're very hands on.
Speaker 1: The develop Yeah, exactly, big response.
Speaker 3: They were parents to all of them. Yeah, and I had to share my parents with them. Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, you go to Temple, you get a Bachelor of Arts, You go to Yale, you get an MFA.
Speaker 1: Like that's like a big deal, did you? Like you know, I know that you.
Speaker 2: Pursued a career as an opera singer and a singer, and like, which is something you know?
Speaker 1: I just no idea.
Speaker 2: And then you sort of pivot when you realize, oh, the acting bug, the acting that's in you you want to pursue.
Speaker 3: No, no, that's actually not how it happened.
Speaker 4: So I've always loved music, but growing up I had a lot of interests. So my parents were kind of like, we're cool with what. I was always told, We're cool whatever you want to do, but whatever you do, get the best education in Canada and be very good at it, right. And so education and competitiveness is in my blood, right, It's just it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And so when growing up, when people.
Speaker 4: Were like, oh I want to be a this a that I jingled for very like, very very late, I did not know really what I wanted to be. No high school, I didn't even know. I didn't know what my career path was going to be. And I remember in high school there was a girl who came from Canada a new student, and she was talking about this performing art school that she went to and I just was like, this sounds amazing of what she's speaking of.
Speaker 3: So I blindly auditioned for it.
Speaker 4: I got there and it was all classically based, like they had jazz.
Speaker 3: It mused instrumental, but not like a jazz vocal.
Speaker 4: And I grew up a more like jazz and R and B and soul and that kind of thing right with Philadelphia, and like the Philly was sound yeah, and so that was like a shock to me. I was just digging around because I was like, I don't know what this is, so I was like faking it. And so then we auditioned for an opera and I ended up getting one of the leads and I was like, this doesn't even make sense. Wow, So this is a pipe yeah, it's I knew I had singing, but.
Speaker 1: Question mark right.
Speaker 4: And so this was in Traverse City. This is like two three hours away from Detroit.
Speaker 3: But where this.
Speaker 4: Magical beautiful place is. It's like on a lake and all these pine trees. So there's like but we're like in cabins, right, So we're roughing out in cabins and I got sick due to like the mold and stuff.
Speaker 3: So I ended up completely losing my voice.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'm out of performing our school with no voice as one of the leads. But I will never forget that experience because I feel like it was a very spiritual, soulful experience in which, in that moment I was a junior in high school, I was understanding what it meant to be an artist and to begin to think of process. And I never had thought of stuff like that before because I couldn't speak, so my inner voice was the loudest voice.
Speaker 3: I could hear.
Speaker 4: And everyone around me is having a good time and expressing themselves creatively and I can't. So it's like I had to rely on other senses, and I was so internal that it allowed me to begin to I think that truly was the place of me birthing.
Speaker 3: Myself as an artist.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Magically I get my voice back the day of the show. It's weird, It's really it doesn't make sense. My parents were there. I'm like, why are you coming? I don't even have a voice. My voice comes back.
Speaker 1: It magical, So they not replaced you like somebody.
Speaker 4: Understudy one of the sweetest women girls in the world, and literally the teacher because they made me come to all the rehearsals.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is brutal. Why are you doing this to me?
Speaker 4: They made me come to rehearsals and I never get the teachers like just lightly part your lips and breathe as everyone's singing around you. Because and this happened when I went to a Barbara Streiss concert and I said in like the tenth row, and I did it again, like as an adult, our vocal chords vibrate the sound we're hearing. So that's like, have you ever gone to like a rock concert or like where someone's like screaming and when you go home you either literally have a sore throat or you're like you just feel like right, it's because our vocal cords are vibrating to match that. When I went to the Badge concert, I was in beautiful voice. I was like, oh, she has beautiful forbes because my vocal chorus feel yummy, right and so extinctively, I guess my body the anatomy I was rehearsing though I was not phonating, and so I was able.
Speaker 5: To do and it was healing. It was healing, yeah, and to wait, so now it's getting very close to the night that you're gonna have this performance. Do you all of a sudden started saying.
Speaker 3: Why did you? Was the day of the morning they say.
Speaker 4: The teacher was like, we're going to do vocal warm up, and I was like, why, I'm not performing tonight. And we started doing vocal warm up and it was like the first time that I was starting to phone it.
Speaker 3: This is a crazy story. And I literally am like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm going up the register and I'm going higher and higher and I never get I asked the girl.
Speaker 3: She was in the room with me.
Speaker 4: I could not believe this understudy was in the room and I was looking at her and I'm crying and I'm like, I'm so sorry because I'm.
Speaker 3: Going and she was so sweet.
Speaker 4: I was like, just let I said, let me go on tonight because my family is here.
Speaker 3: You can do the rest of the shows. Just give me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, she's been doing it the whole time. I'm not gonna sit. But I was like, just give me this one. It was opening up, but just give me this one. Parents are here. We could do the rest, right. So at this one, I'm now like schools are coming. All the stuff Julliarden. You know Manhattan's College, you know the School of Music. Everyone's there.
Speaker 4: So I was like, okay, I guess I'm an opera singer. Went to Temple for the teacher. Opera to me was like what Shakespeare is to some people, right, you gotta imagine I'm from inner city Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: I wanted you know how when you sometimes can watch Shakespeare and it's literally like a foreign like you don't know what that person is.
Speaker 1: It takes a while to get the ears you even understand that.
Speaker 4: My teacher says, that's when they're doing it for themselves, when you're doing it for the service of the work.
Speaker 3: Because think about it, it's just.
Speaker 4: Old English, yes, And when people were watching Shakespeare it was in the bottom it was actually like very broad comedy and drama that even uneducated people could understand and right, but when we sometimes put this high falutin thing on it, same thing for opera.
Speaker 3: The only difference is quite literally in another language.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I want to make sure my reasoning for wanting coaching, and guess what we're gonna call it was so that my family when they came could understand and other inner city people who came where tip was the city school could understand what was happening, which to me they connected.
Speaker 2: Brings me back to when your parents said, no matter what you learn, you write, that's right party exactly.
Speaker 4: Somehow they thought I was in the mix as someone that was now trying to leave the music department to go to the theater department.
Speaker 3: Was not the case.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to make it make sense for the viewer because I was very much so sold at this point on being an opera singer. But my teacher told me, I can go travel the world, eat pasta, eat really good food, men are gon a dote with me. I can wear gowns, furs, lots of money. I was like, this is me, this is me?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? This is me?
Speaker 4: And so I was very much into this. I was this, are you going to tell me no griping with what?
Speaker 3: Please me?
Speaker 4: So they got upset and they essentially flunked me up. Really m junior year in conservatories it is really like your senior year. It's like your big all culminating, almost like your senior thesis.
Speaker 3: That happens in your junior year.
Speaker 4: You do an aria and every language with every like the romance linguage.
Speaker 3: So I don't know Germans on the romance things, but.
Speaker 4: German English, Uh, Spanish, Allian, French. And then you may do like one other English or like another for free you can throw in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like six seven pieces they flung to me. No way had a full ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome back to Table for two. Today we're having lunch with Dave and Joy Randolph and talking about her path to acting. Before the break, she was telling us about leaving the music program at Temple University unexpectedly, So how did she make the pivot to the stage?
Speaker 3: So why what's happening? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was if it was like the store is closed, right, like the great is coming down or up rather for me? And I was like, and it was this thing of this inner monologue of this isn't about you.
Speaker 3: Don't let this penetrate you.
Speaker 4: This isn't your story, right, so don't even attach yourself to it. Right, So this is happening and they're saying this, and there's just like there was a disassociation.
Speaker 3: I think a healthy one.
Speaker 4: And I called my mother and I'm I'm blistened. This is my junior year.
Speaker 3: You're like senior year is.
Speaker 4: Just about what opera house or what symphony am I gonna be connected to?
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 4: The senior year is putting you at what what house are you going to be at?
Speaker 3: And so my mom, cool as.
Speaker 4: A cucumber, said, I'm gonna give you the weekend to, you know, feel everything you're feeling, and then on Monday, you're gonna go across the street and you're going to apply and see if your credits can transfer over into the theater department. I will never forget I was on the street. I had a tantrum in the middle. I'm not an actor.
Speaker 3: I don't want to losing it. My mom was like, do you trust me?
Speaker 4: I'm telling you see if the credits can transfer.
Speaker 3: She said. I looked online.
Speaker 4: It seems like most of your credits can transfer. You're gonna still graduate on time. Go across the street and apply to the acting department. I came there dragging my you know, our little kid just drags their backpack as a and I'm.
Speaker 3: Literally like, here's my actor. She's like, there are you short?
Speaker 4: Like no ants come here later like a four year old, like well, you can't even literally like I'm gonna let it and she was like okay. Well, and so I was there for a year and I'm so grateful because they saw something in me. And I was only there for a couple of months before December approached that next year and I had to apply. Well, if you wanted to, that would be the time that you applied for graduate school. And remember we came back from Christmas break and the Dan asked me to come into his office and he had four applications on his desk. He said, I just need you to sign right here. I said, what is this? And he was like, you're applying for graduate school?
Speaker 3: Now? Mind you.
Speaker 4: I'm literally in just survival mode of like diploma, nothing else done. And I was like, no, sir. He goes, well, what else are you going to do when you graduate? I was like, well, I don't know, but I love to say. He goes, well, that's you always will have that. But you have a gift here, and I just want you to explore it. You gotta taste. I mean, moms, nothing, I knew nothing of it. But then I'm looking at these and I'm like, yale n yu.
Speaker 3: What like the top one's top ones? I don't even know what acting is really yet.
Speaker 4: And Yale was my first one and.
Speaker 1: I just went just one interviewed, did an audience.
Speaker 4: Yes, and all these kids are crying and throwing up in the corner, and I'm like, what is this?
Speaker 3: This is why I don't like these actors. They're weird and too you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 4: Musicians are a lot, but Jesus, you're actually like a tenors too much. And I had one of my first interviews and it was Ron van Lutz, who's a god. I don't know who this man is. And he's like, do you know where you're at? And I was like, oh my god, did I come to the wrong school? Because they were like, pa, you know.
Speaker 3: I was like, I came to the wrong school. He cause, no, no, no, no, You're at the right place. But do you know where you're at? I said.
Speaker 4: They told me it was the Yell School dramaser and he was like, go downstairs and just walk the hallway and come back. So I walked downstairs to their cabaret and on the walls it's pictures of students from the past as students. So I'm seeing Meryl Street in the boat, I'm seeing Paul Giamatti with a clown nose on Leev Schreibern. I'm seeing Angela Bassett with Lauren Fishburn and in August Wilson productive like, what is this place?
Speaker 3: Yea, and I come back upstairs and I was like, okay, cool, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: He I was like, I went downstairs, I saw it, and he was like, you're different.
Speaker 3: There's not one like you.
Speaker 4: So this is gonna be difficult for you, this path of being an actor.
Speaker 3: And he was like al Pacino, de Niro, a MARYL.
Speaker 4: Street, there was no them before them, he says, So it's going to be a hard and lonely road because you won't necessarily have a blueprint or something too sure, you're gonna we're gonna make this up as we go. And he was like, but if you trust me, I will give you everything you need.
Speaker 2: At this point, like people are crying in the hallways, he's saying, you're in.
Speaker 1: Well not you're in.
Speaker 4: But I just know as an actor, this is going to be a long, hard road, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But with the right people, you can get what you need.
Speaker 4: And he said too of like, you know, don't compare yourself because you lose every time. Just don't even do that, I said to him. When I said to other schools, he was the first.
Speaker 3: One, right.
Speaker 4: So I still had other schools I had to audition for, and when I asked all of them, because you all have an interview and they say like, what do you what would you like from this program? And I've said to everyone, I want to have the skill set and toolbox to be able to play any character ever written.
Speaker 3: No matter what I look like. Every single school No, well no.
Speaker 4: Because you're this where that Yale was the only school that was like But of course that is exactly what our curriculum is based off of. So I knew deep down just from that answer alone, this is where I want to go.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on table for two.
Speaker 2: Last year, Divine starting the critically acclaimed movie The Holdovers as Mary Lamb, the head cook at a New England prep school. I adored her performance and want to know all about how she prepared for the role and what it was life working with director Alexander Payne.
Speaker 1: So congratulations on The Holdovers.
Speaker 2: Thank you and if you haven't seen it, you gotta see this movie. And Devine's been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for the Academy Awards.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on the Golden.
Speaker 2: Globe, Like, holy Canoli, it's a big deal. Tell me about the story. What resident and you know you're working with Alexander Payne and you know, yeah, and what resonated with Mary Lamb and what kind of.
Speaker 1: How did you relate to her?
Speaker 4: The script came with such a level of detail and authenticity that I usually.
Speaker 3: That like, I don't know how to say it.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, how you have your standard of doing something, whether it's cleaning. Let's let you have your standard of cleaning cleaning person comes over. Let's say your friends come over, stay in the weekend, and the thing is like cool, do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to charge you. Just clean up after yourself.
Speaker 4: They clean different than you clean right, and you other than go behind them and cleaning. That's kind of how it's been for acting, really right that like script wise and the details of the character, it wasn't at the level that I had hoped it to be prior, so a lot of times I would have to go then not behind them, but kind of and be like great, So if you're willing, I would love to collaborate and bringing in these details and bringing in these nuances. Can you give me an example, because a lot of times it comes down to the script and there's certain things a lot of times that are generalized that's like, well, let's pontificate on that, like.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Or or you have her doing this, so is that what you mean to happen? It feels like there's a missing step, or you have this happening for her, but nowhere have you explained her history her do you know what I mean? Like oftentimes I'll deal with like, especially in TV, she's kind of just there, yeah, to the service of others, obviously the lead. And so what was so exciting for me for this script that when I read it, I was like, Oh, they've already done.
Speaker 3: A really good portion of this.
Speaker 4: So that immediately got my attention and I was like, Aha, okay, this is different in regards to the caliber and quality.
Speaker 3: Of the script. Usually I'm having to fill in the blanks. I say, a lot of the blanks are filled in.
Speaker 4: And what was really cool when I I spoke with when Alex had being called me initially to have the director's meeting, I wanted I didn't talk too much, and I wanted to just get an understanding of his sensibility in regards to storytelling overall and in particular to this project, and even more so with this woman. And what I thought that was so amazing is that someone who is so well decorated and lauded and like and it's like a Hollywood dollar.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you call it, the male version, but he's very revered and loved within this industry. There was no ego. There was a willingness to understand and learn.
Speaker 4: He was very clear of like, you know, there are some things culturally that I'm not going to know about. I'm leaning on you to help me with that. Or I've seen this before, and I think this would be really a beautiful moment to show this detail. For example, rollers and like some of the clothes, so when she's watching the New and she's like in her little like nightgown whatever, overcoat, nightcoat, whatever you call it, purple. Yeah, I think initially he wanted her to predominantly be wearing stuff like that at all times. And I was like, no, she's still working, even though it's a holiday, she's still working. And this is a woman who takes pride Like I wanted it to look like she has. She may not have much, she has a beautifully well curated closet. You know, you have some friends where it's like they're more of like a minimalist with clothing, but everything they put on us ad. I wanted it to be like that, you know what I mean, Like she doesn't have a lot, but you better believe she started all through.
Speaker 3: Everything is well put together. She takes great.
Speaker 2: Care of her Yeah, and you see that when you open up and then you know you end up also on your son's uniform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you really see. Yeah, it's like the suit.
Speaker 4: Is starch, yes, and she's always touching things. She's a very tactile person. Her nails are very like, you know, manicured and just very put together. Her little jewelry like everything has a place and a purpose.
Speaker 3: And similar with the rollers. He was like, oh, I would love it. She's like rocking rollers. I was like, cool. But in the privacy of her room, right, because she's working.
Speaker 4: Also, this is a black woman in the predominantly all white environment. There's a certain level in which she's never gonna and that's part of who she is. She's never gonna literally and figuratively let her hair all the way down.
Speaker 3: She's never right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so but that was cool because I was like, oh, I don't know, you know, he is who he is, and I mean literally the utmost respect that sometimes you're gonna have a little bit of pushback, and there wasn't any.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because now that you share that, that scene now takes on something, you know. I think I felt it were when the intimacy of him coming into your space and you're sitting on the couch and you have the rollers and you're watching the dating the Newly game, Yes, and you understand that you're now in Mary's.
Speaker 4: Like very into this space, and it's different than what you've seen Mary when she's not only.
Speaker 2: In the kitchen, out of the kitchen, in her uniformer, in her exact street.
Speaker 3: There's a coldness.
Speaker 4: When she's in the kitchen, everything still and industrial and like sterile to be clean for those purposes. Even in the when they're like walking throughout the halls of the school, there's a coldness. There's a warmth when she's in her space, when she's in her sister's space, and when she's in the living room. I wanted to bring this sense even with the clothing of you wanted I wanted people to want to touch her or no instinctively upon scene, what that fabric is and what it feels like. I want it to be a sensory experience in that science bingo.
Speaker 1: I mean it really is.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm even you know, picturing the dinner when you're invited to have the dinner, like just to hear everything about.
Speaker 3: It is like, that's like her Sunday's best.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, that dress shows up at a funeral, at a wedding, at a graduation, any kind of celebration, right, that's her best.
Speaker 2: And when you go visit your sister and really, if you're you gotta see this movie people you got to see when you go and you're driving there and now the characters at this point have really created it's a very complicated relationships.
Speaker 1: It's a very it's a very heartfelt.
Speaker 2: These are complicated people who have been pain in your life.
Speaker 1: And you know you're being driven by Paul.
Speaker 2: They're going to drop you off when they go to Boston, and you know you're and the way you present there, you know, and it's the format versus it's also very important in the relationship you have with Paul's character in the young man's character, the young man forgetting his name dominic sss very good, very talented.
Speaker 1: Very talented, I mean Alexander really yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's one of those many strong suits as well casting and bringing people together. I think a lot that we looked out on is we genuinely did and do have amazing chemistry together, especially me and Paul. There's something that was just instinctually there, I think, in regardless to the technical elements in regards to share acting and by us both being under the same curriculum, but there's just something kindred about us that showed up. And so a lot of times we did you know, sometimes we can do a scene, especially as you're geting to know the person, there's a dialogue and there's a talking of what do we want to create and dadada, and we never did really.
Speaker 3: We just was, you know, we would do.
Speaker 4: We did two to three weeks of tablework, and that was weird because people have asked like, oh, it's improv and the answer is yes and no. We did two to three weeks of rehearsal and tablework, which is unheard of and we use that time. But we all were there together all the actors, right, David who is the writer as well as the director, and we went through the whole.
Speaker 3: Script scene by scene, and then it was like does this make sense? Do we like this?
Speaker 4: But we used that time to go through it scene by scene and then at the end of that we've seen Evenson say okay, great, so does this seem real? Does this make sense? Is there anything we should take away? Anything we should add?
Speaker 3: Because for me it happened quick.
Speaker 4: He offered it to me basically like Thanksgiving weekend, okay, and then we started filming January.
Speaker 3: First, so I had a lot to do in a little bit of time.
Speaker 4: Paul had known about it for a while, and Dominic had gone through I think you said, like eight auditions and callbacks, so he had been in the whole process.
Speaker 3: It was new for me. So I had a lot to do in a little bit of time of smoking the.
Speaker 4: Dialect, not really brushing up on my cooking, but cooking like just getting into the world. Working with Wendy Chuck, who's the amazing costume designer, we pulled all venture things and if we didn't, we couldn't get the vintage thinger. You know, Ventace is fragile, so certain things putting on at a rip or something like that. We then source vintage fabric and make custom stuff back. So it was really again about like the text.
Speaker 2: Tie, I mean you feel from the car, to the weather, to the couch everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I always wanted to mix a lighter, sheer, more romantic choose very. I warn't because I'm really the only female outside of one other character. I felt really responsible of showing femineity and womanhood in this era, in this film, and so I always wanted to mix something sturdy and practical or something soft and like whimsical or angelic, right, and so like when we go to that Italian restaurant, I have on like this corduroy pencil skirt, but it's like periwinkle with these like really dainty like little bouquets of Paisleys and flowers. But then a very soft, sheer, powder pink like pussy bow.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's a rap.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I had a coat that I just draped the total.
Speaker 4: I always wanted to show these notes of like Jackie O vibes or like.
Speaker 3: Coreta cut Scott King vibes, or I wanted.
Speaker 4: To have this sense of like the quintessential woman that I wanted to make sure or like the dainty necklace and little small dainty earrings. I wanted that energy to somehow intercut with this very masculine, antiquated, you know, English almost.
Speaker 3: Vibe that you know prep schools can give.
Speaker 4: It's a constant pressure cooker the entire movie and filming it. I felt so uncomfortable to constantly be putting a lid on. She's so contained in a way that I'm not, and it felt so uncomfortable. But I knew that I was at the right space. So some of those things is also divine. Feeling uncomfortable. You know, There's a deliberateness. She talks much slower than I do. She takes her tom you know what I mean. I'm very like I'm a Gemini tours. So it's like and she's like, well, we'll see right, chop the onions, let's start there. Yeah, you know, but yeah, there's it's something beautiful to that broken things can also heal other broken things and it's not that stigmatism that you need to And this is a beautiful message. I hope that people catch. You don't need to be perfect or whole in order.
Speaker 6: To be there or help or be a listening ear yes for someone and in doing so, more likely than not, some healing will trickle one to you as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today's lunch with Devine has been apic. She is a true star in her eyes, and you can tell she's got so much success.
Speaker 1: Ahead of her. She's also a total professional.
Speaker 2: So before she has to leave us to run to a photo shoot, I'm curious about what projects she has on the horizon.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, you're really one of her kind, and you really are. This is your time.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have and I just want to I'm going to just say you have brideheard coming up.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have Shadow for Rebel Wilson.
Speaker 2: You're starting in that you have an actually thriller with Kerrie Washington, who I love.
Speaker 1: Our kids in school together, like.
Speaker 2: Exactly shadow of course, and we're talking about your fashion like this is the year of devind.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: Oh this is really exciting and I'm super super excited that we got to spend thank you this time together because you're just an incredible person. You're forcing you give back and I love that if anyone's taking anything away I just feel like what you've taught me today is share what you learn.
Speaker 3: Because it'll come back to you with what you need to learn.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: That's what I've found in me giving up my knowledge to someone else. I always like within a month to the point where I can clock it. Yeah, of like ah me giving in that way, I've been received in this way.
Speaker 3: It's all reciprocal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You've got a big heart. De mind. Thank you really do. Thank you so much for pulling up a today on Table for two with bb I absolutely do you.
Speaker 2: Table for two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeartRadio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King. Table for two is researched and written by Bridget arsenalt Our sound engineers are Paul Bowman and Alyssa Midcalf. Table for two's la production team is Danielle Romo and Lorraine Verrez. Our music supervisor is Randall poster.
Speaker 1: Our talent booking is by James Harkin.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Cher, Kevin Yuvane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter Raber, Barbara and Jen and Jeff Klein and the staff at the Tower Bar in the world famous Sunset Tower Hotel. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.