Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast. They do not remove tag on your brand new puzzle mattress. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and here is a question. What do these words have in common? Wagon, wheel, bow, tie, elbow, corkscrew. As my son points out, they all contain vowels, which is true, but there's something else. Wagon wheel, bow, tie, elbow, corkscrew. I'll give you one more angel hair. You got it, even if you didn't. They are all types of pasta, and that is the idea behind today's game, find the missing Link. I'm going to give you and our guest six words and you will have to figure out what connects them. And that guest is the wonderful, talented and hilarious Jessica Shaw, host of pop Culture Spotlight on Sirius XM. Welcome Jessica, Hello, Aj. It is a delight to have you. What is your favorite type of pasta?
Speaker 2: My favorite type of pasta is yoki. Does that count because there's potato involved?
Speaker 1: I can't oh fully fully all right, I'm a double of carbs. Yes, I am a fan of Yochi or yoko. I like to say the singular and I put that into spelling bee and it does not give me credit.
Speaker 2: So that well, I never have a single yoko. I always have a that of yoki.
Speaker 1: It's like potato chips. It's hard to have a yoko. Yes, I I like few Silly with the corkscrew, just because of the name few Silly. It is silly. Uh And by the way, if anyone was wondering the Italian while we're on Italian name, the Italian name for bow tie is I had to look it up, but uh far follow follow you got it. You got it before I said it. And the wagon wheel is Rotelli, just so you have it. Okay, Jessica, are you ready for find the Missing Link? Yes, excellent. I'm going to give you a handful of words and you have to figure out the missing link. But since this is the puzzler, there's always.
Speaker 3: A twist, a fusili twist.
Speaker 1: Ah, it is a corkscrew like twist. I am not just going to give you the words. You are going to have to earn them. I'm going to give you a series of trivia questions and those answers, those those six answers are going to have something in common. So are you ready? Yes, this metals symbol is fe. This metals symbol is f e. Oh taking her head iron, iron, she's in. I really wanted to give my clue, which was bomb. So I'm glad you got it, But sad I didn't do that.
Speaker 3: What can I tell you? You know, it's like you know these things.
Speaker 1: We learned something. The vulnerability is lovely? Thank you?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: This is what a trunk is called in England, the trunk of a car.
Speaker 3: Oh do I have to give a guess even if I know it's wrong?
Speaker 1: Sure that that makes I like that?
Speaker 3: Okay, I like.
Speaker 1: That's a better That is better than the actual answer. Well, I'll give you some hints. It can be kinky. This word can be kinky. You can pull yourself up by their straps. So Italy is in the shape of this boot.
Speaker 3: Boot.
Speaker 1: You got it exactly, all right? So boot and iron and he guesses so far and he guess if you get it right, I'm gonna have to bleep it out because we have like another four minutes to fill.
Speaker 2: Luckily I'm not that smart, so no, no guesses excellent?
Speaker 1: All right? Number three mister Peanut, Fred Astaire and Slash from Guns n' Roses all wear this huts. It is a hat, any particular.
Speaker 3: A top hat.
Speaker 1: It is a top hat. Also important information. Mister Peanut's full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald smythe in case. Really he's very, one percent very he's going to go down with the revolution, I.
Speaker 3: Feel and the EpiPens.
Speaker 1: That's true, all right. Number four William Carlos Williams wrote a poem about a red one of these. I can even give you the poem if you want. It's because it's very short. It is so much depends upon a red blank blazed with rain water beside the white chickens. I only know it because I was made to read it in like eighth grade, and I.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure I was too cardinal.
Speaker 1: No, it's more of something you find in gardens and farms and you push it. It's got one we open.
Speaker 3: A wagon, wheelbarrow.
Speaker 1: Wheelbarrow exactly all right, So wheel barrow. So now so we have top hat, wheel barrow, iron, and one more that I'm forgetting. Oh boot, So those are the flour so far.
Speaker 4: Anything that wheelbarrow, iron and boot hot garage.
Speaker 1: Mechanic you got? How did you know?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Is a great guess but not it? All right? Two more? Are you ready? This item, which is used in sewing, holds about one cubic centimeter. That's the volume of this item. It holds about one and it's used in sewing. Thimble Thimble nailed it, all right. This breed of dog was owned by FDR and George W. Bush.
Speaker 3: Poodle.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I wouldn't get this this is, but here I'll give you a hint. It's just a wee dog. That's a terrible accent, but it enjoys eating Hoggis that forget the accent? Yes, Scottish terrier exactly? All right, yeah, thank you, thank you. By the way, timely fact, Vladimir Putin said George W. Bush's Scottish terrier was too small, and that Putin's was bigger, tougher and meaner. So another reason to hate Vladimir Putin. All right, that is six. But I can give you a seventh if you want, or we can keep going with the six.
Speaker 2: Scottish terrier is my next clue? In top hat, wheelbarrow, iron in boot exactly?
Speaker 1: Is there anything coming to mind? All right? Wait about one last one. Danica Patrick and Mario Andretti are known to use this type of vehicle, race car, race car. Okay, so now you've got all of those and these are all.
Speaker 2: Is this that racing thing that people do, that's.
Speaker 1: Like the racing thing. But it is a game. You got that. It is related to a game, and it is I would say this game.
Speaker 3: Formula forty nine.
Speaker 2: What Formula forty nine, formula formula racing, formula formula formula.
Speaker 1: It is a it is a it's not just a game. It's a board game. And and here's the beauty of it. The total amount.
Speaker 3: Oh I know what, I already know it.
Speaker 1: Duh.
Speaker 3: How could I not know? This monopoly piece is dumb? Dumb? Literally play this all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh you do? You're an what? Yes? What piece?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: Where do you go with?
Speaker 3: Scottish terrier? Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 3: So I didn't know it was a Scottish terrier. I just call him the dog or it's the dog.
Speaker 2: And and yes, absolutely, And I judge people who are the top hat because like I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like the way it moves. The race car is a little big. I mean, I love them all. I love the thimble. I love the thimble.
Speaker 1: I like that the thimble is like, you know, when they were thinking of the game, it's like, what could be something that people love thimbles? So all right, well you did great, You did great. I loved it and you, as a result, are a missing link. Maven, thank you so much for coming. Jessica, We will see you very soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Aj I had a blast.
Speaker 1: Before we wrap up, as always, for all you puzzlers at home, we have an extra credit puzzle. It's a common link Trout, fox Man, Row and Bee. Trout, fox Man, Row and Bey. What do those have in common? Puzzlers, Please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly. Hello puzzler. Here's Greg Pliska here from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show. On that show, we asked you to find the anagram for the phrase ensliced eats. That's ensliced e n s l i c ed eats and the answer is the apt word delicatessen, a place where you would find ensliced eats.
Speaker 3: Good luck, puzzling, See you next time.