Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: What is the very best birthday gift that your significant other has ever given you?
Speaker 1: Alexis, what's your gift?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: They give me gift cards.
Speaker 4: I stated, I'm not having anything on them, but they were nice when I.
Speaker 5: Got to wear You're like the worst gold digger I've ever heard of.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, we're gonna skip Brooke in her twenty minute story about how a man disappointed.
Speaker 1: Her and right, Jo, you know, we don't want to hear the story.
Speaker 3: Jose best birthday gift from a girlfriend in your past? I would say it was the time where she gave me a sporting event tickets and told me she loved me.
Speaker 1: Oh, but wouldn't come to the game with you.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's the kind of a gift, isn't it for you?
Speaker 3: But what happens when you give your partner a special gift that's so good you immediately regret ever giving it.
Speaker 2: Why would you regret a good gift? That's hard.
Speaker 3: That's the situation with one of our listeners, Stephanie, who's emailed us for help today.
Speaker 1: Stephanie, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hi, guys, how are you?
Speaker 2: Are you the gift giver or receiver?
Speaker 7: Here?
Speaker 6: I'm the giver.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you're the one with regrets. Interesting?
Speaker 1: And this is a boyfriend or is this a husband?
Speaker 6: It's my boyfriend of almost three years, Kyle.
Speaker 2: Are you guys like living together? That's how serious it is?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay?
Speaker 1: And what was the situation with the birthday gift?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 6: I asked my boyfriend a month ago what he wanted for his birthday? It was coming up, and I told him he could have anything.
Speaker 4: That's usually when you ask yeah, not the day of yea or eight months later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you want something today? Okay, okay, planning ahead? Did he want anything?
Speaker 6: Well, he was like can I have anything? And I was like yeah, And then he was thinking some silly things and I was like, oh my god, shut up, you're so dumb.
Speaker 1: What was the silly things he was saying?
Speaker 6: He told me he wanted a hall pass.
Speaker 2: What I was taking legs silly, would be like a ride on the draft. That's silly to believe is a little concern?
Speaker 1: Is that a joke? Maybe it's a joke.
Speaker 6: I could have been, but I thought it was a joke. That's why I said, oh my god, shut up, and he laughed and was like, you said anything, it's my birthday?
Speaker 4: Oh has he met a celebrity recently? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You did say anything, though.
Speaker 2: I mean, who is his hall pass?
Speaker 6: So we weren't really talking about celebrities.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean it was brooke.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not so silly anymore.
Speaker 1: So what happened at the end of that?
Speaker 6: I disagree with him. I was like, okay, fine, and what you said, yes.
Speaker 1: You can have a hall pass.
Speaker 6: I never thought he was going to use it.
Speaker 1: Gave him permission, but was the tone of her voice was joke?
Speaker 2: Did he pull out his cell phone and start recording you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What were you drinking? You must have been drunk when you said that.
Speaker 4: She thought he was just she was just being lighthearted, like, oh yeah, sure you can have it.
Speaker 2: You know, I understand that.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you don't.
Speaker 2: Believe he's actually asking if he woul cheat on you?
Speaker 3: Not cheating if you give them a hall pass.
Speaker 1: That's what a hall pass is. But there's joking.
Speaker 4: It's a joking conversation, right, that's how you took it.
Speaker 6: Well, it was a joking conversation, and then he made me promise that I can't take it back, and I'm like, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you said that's fine again.
Speaker 2: Why do you keep saying that's fine.
Speaker 1: That's the next level you doubled down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I probably should have promised that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gods. He used to.
Speaker 6: Well, his birthday's coming up this weekend, and he's brought it up a couple of times. You think he's gonna be out that night.
Speaker 4: You don't say, wait, are you guys going to be together on his birthday?
Speaker 2: Does he have plans to go out on his own?
Speaker 6: I think he's gonna go and his on it. And one time he told me he's gonna use it.
Speaker 3: What that's the polite thing to do. If somebody gives you a birthday gift, you're supposed.
Speaker 1: To use said gift. It's rude to not use the gift.
Speaker 4: It's like when you get a gift certificate and it just sits in a drawer.
Speaker 1: I know that helps the person's feelings that gave the gift. If he didn't do it, what type of boyfriend would he be?
Speaker 3: Imaginehim approaching a girl like, look, my girlfriend got me home best on my birthday.
Speaker 1: She's gonna be so mad if I don't use this. And the girl's like, oh, I totally understand. Where's your head at?
Speaker 3: Where's your head at there, Stephanie, Well, and I think he is.
Speaker 6: I don't want to give him that gift.
Speaker 2: No, you want to take it back.
Speaker 1: So here's where we're at.
Speaker 3: You've kind of put yourself in this position, Stephanie by agreeing twice to do.
Speaker 2: This, But I still blame your boyfriend for it. Just for the record record, it's fault.
Speaker 3: But she said yes and then agreed that she wouldn't take it back regrets. I'm just stating the facts here. I'm not on anybody's side. And the thing is we're now at a severe disadvantage because if this is poker, we basically turned our cards around to the table to show everybody in our hands, and now we're trying to get it either.
Speaker 2: All we need to do is tell him that this isn't going to happen. That's what we need to do.
Speaker 1: That our promises don't mean anything. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you want advice on how to say that to him, Stephanie, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I just I don't know, just like maybe help him understand that, Like now I'm kind of uncomfortable with it.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't want to get to sleep with other people.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty reasonable. Maybe that should have come up the first time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's why we say better late than never.
Speaker 1: Jeff, it's a hindsight situation. We're gonna have to call your boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I guess give you some advice on how to have a backbone here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get on how to reverse your promise.
Speaker 3: Yes that he could have a hall pass, but now you're taking it away from him on his birthday.
Speaker 2: Yes? Good. Why does that sound crazy to you?
Speaker 1: That sounds totally only normal. Yeah to everybody. We're gonna do it with your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 7: Thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, hold on, it's awkward. It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: We are in a difficult situation today, and by we I mean Brooky.
Speaker 4: Are.
Speaker 3: One of our listeners had a conversation with their boyfriend of three years asking what he wanted for his birthday coming up. He responded, a hall pass.
Speaker 2: And he didn't say celebrity he met, just.
Speaker 1: A hall pass.
Speaker 3: Just a free day, right, which is basically a one night of unbridled passion with anybody who's not your partner.
Speaker 1: It has to be unbridled.
Speaker 2: I mean it sounds like you read that from a romance novel.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm trying to put a little romance into it.
Speaker 2: But it's a little messier than that, Jeff, Okay.
Speaker 3: A messy night of passion with anybody who's not your partner. And not only did Stephanie say yeah, but she promised him she would not take it back, and now she wants our help to try and take it back today. So let's get some advice for her from the woman who blames the man for his girlfriend saying yes to his request.
Speaker 1: What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: How does she take back her own gift that she just gave him.
Speaker 5: I think this could easily devolve into a huge fight, big argument, you know, break up absolutely, Alexis.
Speaker 2: So I think what you do is you try to take a positive.
Speaker 4: Angle and you say, okay, listen, I know we were using the hall Pass as like a placeholder for your gift, but I got you something so amazing and expensive that you are going to love it.
Speaker 1: So why.
Speaker 5: So you acknowledge that that hall Pass was there, but it's not his gift anymore.
Speaker 3: What do you think about that, Stephanie trying to one up your own gift with a better one.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, I think maybe, But I think Kyle should know that I was kind of joking about the guests in general, So doesn't he It's not like even an existing gift that yeah, that's like, that's.
Speaker 3: Like coming back after signing the terms and agreements to being like, well, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Mean to sign it.
Speaker 4: It's not even that she's just not very good at saying no, Like I feel like he's just going to put you in another place where you suddenly agree again to it.
Speaker 1: But maybe Jose has a way for her to not do that.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Hose, He needs a taste of his own medicine, so he knows how it feels to be in your situation. So you ask for your own hall pass for your birthday.
Speaker 2: Coming up, that's gonna that's where the fight.
Speaker 3: Startspective Then he's gonna go I don't want my lady.
Speaker 5: I think he'll be okay, Yes, I didn't think of that.
Speaker 1: I don't think of that, Stephanie equal playing field for tat.
Speaker 7: I don't even know if I could do that.
Speaker 1: I don't think you could pull a man to use a hall pass on.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I could pull a man. Okay, Okay, you don't want to.
Speaker 2: You have to find someone hotter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, Well that's our advice for you, Stephanie. We wish you all the luck in the world that are going to be here in your corner. Thank you be here to support you. But I'm dialing your boyfriend's phone number right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, like we're sending a sheep out into the wolf town.
Speaker 1: You've got this, Stephanie. Good luck.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hey, mab, how are you?
Speaker 8: Oh hey, are you calling for work or something?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I just want to check it in and see how your day is going. Yeah, it's yours. It's going pretty good.
Speaker 8: But check this out. Someone took a huge crap in my parking spot. I don't know, like a homeless guy or like what happened, but it was disgusting.
Speaker 7: Oh god, that is horrible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's sick. But you know, I'm just I've been dealing with that litteral crap all morning, but so yeah, I'm just I gotta get back soon. But what's what's going on?
Speaker 7: Well, I wanted to talk to you. About this weekend and your birthday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so yeah, out Saturday night, but we can maybe do something Sunday late afternoon.
Speaker 7: I might be in bad shape, but we'll see. Oh sounds like you have something fun planned. Well yeah, I guess you could say that.
Speaker 6: Uh, do you want to tell me a little bit about it?
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 7: No, I mean it doesn't have anything to do with what we talked about, does it.
Speaker 8: I don't know what you're referring to.
Speaker 6: Like, a few weeks ago, I gave you the Hall Pass quote unquoted.
Speaker 7: You know you brought it up again recently too.
Speaker 8: What's your what is your question? Give me a birthday gift? I plan to use it.
Speaker 9: Well that was just a placeholder gift because I actually got you a really nice present that's really pretty expensive.
Speaker 7: So you're gonna get that instead?
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, no, you can't take it back like I've already planned, my president.
Speaker 7: Are you messing with me?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 7: Are you trying to make me this isn't funny?
Speaker 8: You said like I could have this, like you promised me, Like you can't. You can't take back a promise like we agreed on that.
Speaker 6: You know, I was saying whatever because it would make you happy, and I thought it was funny conversation.
Speaker 8: Is it gonna make me really happy?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 7: Okay, So who is it? Then?
Speaker 8: I'm not going to tell you this me all bit out of shape.
Speaker 7: I'm already been out of shape. You're basically telling me that you're about to cheat on me.
Speaker 8: I'm not cheating on you. You gave me permission, which you like you gave me permission?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 7: This isn't funny, Kyle, tell me who it is?
Speaker 1: Fine?
Speaker 7: You remember the waitress at Chili the Brunette?
Speaker 8: What? Yeah, I'm thinking about her.
Speaker 7: She didn't know it yet, but you are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Her?
Speaker 6: Kyle?
Speaker 5: Her?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: What she is?
Speaker 7: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Is he joking?
Speaker 8: Well? I don't know what is happening?
Speaker 1: What did?
Speaker 3: You're on the radio right now with a show called Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning's called Awkward Tuesday phone Call.
Speaker 2: God, that was hard to listen to, Kyle. That was that was difficult?
Speaker 6: Why am I?
Speaker 8: Why would you? I am so confused?
Speaker 2: Like? Why?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We've been asked to help and join in on this conversation by your girlfriend, Stephanie, who wanted to talk about this so called birthday present.
Speaker 1: She doesn't wanting to cheat on her.
Speaker 8: I'm not cheating on her. I mean she gave me the hall Path again.
Speaker 9: File Are you serious? I just told you it was not a real gift.
Speaker 8: They're serious. You did promise, So how am I supposed to take that?
Speaker 2: You're actually like a second grader right now.
Speaker 1: You can't see how it's a little bit confusing.
Speaker 3: The informal question here, Like the girl on Chili's doesn't even know what was your plan.
Speaker 1: I thought you set it.
Speaker 5: Up like you're gonna hol over you've got a rizz or down.
Speaker 4: Still, bro, I don't know that you do.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you do what.
Speaker 1: Your bras are gonna go to Chili's and try to game down a.
Speaker 5: Certain Why do I feel like it was just gonna be him saying at the Chili's bar alone?
Speaker 1: Is it by yourself?
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter?
Speaker 3: I think he's just gonna go there and see what happened.
Speaker 1: And you have you have a thing a thing for girl with no teeth in the front.
Speaker 8: She has one tooth that's easily fixed. And I haven't even flirted with anybody for a long time, so like it's a chance to like put myself out there. I haven't.
Speaker 4: Well, here's okay, this is not a healthy relationship.
Speaker 2: But Stephanie, I don't think you have anything to be worried about either.
Speaker 3: Let's ask her, Stephanie, how do you feel about him going to Chili's and spitting some game.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean it's actually kind of funny now knowing who he's gonna try.
Speaker 7: To ask out. Really, it's still like it still hurts my feelings. I still don't want him to do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just really wish that he understood how I felt and.
Speaker 3: Like took me like, yeah, I mean you got to hear that, right, Kyle, I mean you understand now, Ky, like that it hurts her that you're trying to go through with this and kind of throwing it in her face.
Speaker 1: And is that making you like change how you feel about it?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I mean obviously I care about her. If it really makes you feel that way, I didn't, like, I don't want to I don't.
Speaker 1: Feeling so what an understanding boyfriend?
Speaker 2: What do I still feel like I'm here in the end of her relationship.
Speaker 7: I still would like to.
Speaker 8: Get that expensive give you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, she has something really big playing for you, bro, don't worry. Isn't that right Stephanie, Yeah, yeah, yes yes.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey in the Morning,