Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I'm the host. Is always in joining me as my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's something. How I doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty good. We've got mock draft to do today. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mock draft today. As of recording this, we are one week away from the start of the legal tampering period. When this comes out, it will be one week from the first day of free agency. So you know, a lot of exciting times today. Last week we highlighted free agency. This week we decided to do a bit of a combine recap and we'll have, like Tyler mentioned, a quick five round mock draft as well that we're really excited about. So before we get started on today's show, Tyler and I are are fans of the show, are fans of the team. Excuse me, we are fans of the show, but we are fans of the team just like you guys are. The opinions that we express on the show are not reflective of the Chargers organization themselves. At the end of the day, we are content creators and fans of the team, just like you guys. So we're very grateful for this platform and hope you guys enjoy the show today. That being said, we do have some things from the combine that we want to touch on. So there's a very relevant news regarding the quarterback class, or maybe not news, maybe buzz is more and more apt there. And then we wanted to touch on some risers and followers from the combine. I watched most of the weekend. I didn't get to watch the stuff while I was at work, but I watched stuff on Saturday Sunday. I had a great time doing that. So first and foremost is the quarterback buzz. It's very relevant for the Chargers who are in a fantastic spot at number five with a franchise quarterback. Hopefully you guys listen to all the great stuff that Chris Harry and Matt money Smith put out this week. There was a lot of trade down talk, a lot of quarterback talk, and I think a lot of it is kind of centered around the JJ McCarthy stuff, Jane and Daniels, Drake, may A, Kaya Williams. It's a fantastic quarterback class. Lots of teams need a quarterback. You know, there was a Rich eisenclip today saying that he heard of the combine that the Giants are done with Daniel Jones, that they have buyer's remorse, they're ready for the next stage. The Denver Broncos released Russell Wilson today. There was news that the Las Vegas Raiders are inquiring about trading up, So the Chargers are in a fantastic spot to potentially trade down here. Tyler and I guess we've talked a little bit about, you know, the potential here for trading down, but we haven't talked about a scenario where Marvin Harrison Junior is sitting on the board at number five. And that's a possibility as well. Diana Risini hinting this weekend that quarterbacks could go one through four in this draft class. But you leave Marvin Harrison Junior there on the board for the taking for the Chargers. If that scenario unfolds, how much are you what's your consideration or how fast are you making that decision at five?
Speaker 1: And who would let's say.
Speaker 2: Hypothetically speaking, how fast are you running to the podium for Marvin Harrison Junior is what I'm asking here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll sprint to Detroit myself. I'll do some backhandspings the whole way there.
Speaker 4: You saw some handstands and carwheels before I'll throw in a front tuck, you know, a back tuck, whatever is needed. If that pick goes in, if he's there, that is the selection, And that would be the most unifying thing since, oh, just a month ago when.
Speaker 3: The Chargers hired Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 4: I just think it would be the perfect storm of things happening, and sometimes the Chargers could use a little bit of luck. I do not buy that it's going to happen. I genuinely believe that three quarterbacks will go not for but it does feel like there is a chance, and a chance is all we need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, there's a chance.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, there's a lot of discussion right now happening. I think a lot of us kind of coming to the table. Like we watched week A, Ted, we watched the Cardinals lose that game, and we just kind of penciled off Marvin Harrison engineer is not going to be a Charger, and now that there's a chance that he could be a Charger, I think a lot of people are kind of coming to realize, like, hey, like maybe we should go watch this guy again. It's been very centered around Thelak Neighbors and Roma Donsley, who are fantastic prospects. But to me, like Marvin Harrison Jr. Is the best player in this draft class. And I think I can understand why there's love for Leake Neighbors out there, love for Roman Donza, But Marvin Harrison Jr.
Speaker 1: Is the best wide receiver prospect I have studied.
Speaker 2: So if the Chargers were able to land him, if the scenario happens where the quarterbacks go one through four, I would be so thrilled to land Marvin Harrison Junior with the with the Chargers, with Justin Herbert. The only problem is that he cannot wear number eighteen. He would have to choose a different number. That's the only negative here for me to look at. Maybe he could go where number eighty eight like his dadd But to me, he's he's the best prospect in the class. He's the best wide receiver I've ever studied. I'm sprinting to that podium as soon as humanly possible if Marvin Harrison Junior Is at number five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean to have the shot at a player who's considered one of the best players, and some people have him as the best player in the entire draft with guys like Neighbors and o'doonsey and Caleb Williams and Joe Alt and some of these guys, the defensive players to be considered the best guy in the class.
Speaker 3: With all those guys.
Speaker 4: And just the idea the Chargers are so close to be able to get him, it's really exciting.
Speaker 3: That fourth pick is going to be the longest ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's the next thing is, you know, how much do you buy the Colt not the Colts. The Cardinals potentially trading out of that pick, because I tend to agree that quarterbacks are likely to go one through three in the order, is kind of TVD. There's a lot of love for Drake May, there's love for Jane Daniels. There's some people have JJ McCarthy as QB three, Jane Daniels QB four. I buy QB is going one through three. But I'm still a little skeptical about the Cardinals trading out of a chance of landing Marvin Harrison Jr. That being said, they could have taken will Anderson last year, they didn't. They traded out of that pick. It's not completely impossible, although Marvin Harrison Junior is a much better prospect to me than when Will Anderson was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Cardinals are not a player away.
Speaker 3: You're not picking this early. And also you're a player away.
Speaker 4: So I think they could definitely see and then the Chargers may see as well that trading back is the best option for them. The kind of bummers like who are you trading out for? Or who else would you take? Maybe at four if you stuck there, And unfortunately they don't need a tackle right they took one last year. DJ Humphries is their other starter. He's making a ton of money. They don't need a brock Bower. I mean they could use a brock Bowers. Everybody could use a rock Bowers. But Traymer McBride's going to take that next step and be their tight end one. So it's not Bowers. I don't think it's a defensive player. So unfortunately kind of is wide receiver if they stick and so they'd have to like Molik neighbors of room with Dunese more or they want to trade back for a defensive player. So it's tough if because if they needed to tackle or if they really needed a tight end, I think it's a much more likely situation. But because they don't need those two, and it might be it might genuinely be like Bowers and alt as the next two best players in the draft.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know if they're gonna trade out of that pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do have like eleven picks already. It's not like they need more picks. I mean, you know, like you said, they're not a player away. They if you if they don't see any difference between Marvin Harrison Junior and wide receiver three or whatever the case may be, then yeah, Like I guess I could see them trading down. But to me, it's like you're you're in that position, like you're you're trying to maximize Kyler Murray.
Speaker 1: I think you take Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 2: It's the same argument for me, like if Marvin and Harrison Junior is on the board, I'm taking that player because you're trying to maximize Justin Herbert. You're trying to get that that kind of level of talent on the board. So we'll see man. But it's it's it's very exciting to to hear this kind of quarterback buzz. I love all of the rumors. I love all of the j. J. McCarthy stuff, like, give me all of it. We we kind of made fun of Jim Harbaugh, like I'm not gonna lie. We made fun of him for that JJ McCarthy quote the day after he got hired. Turns out the league feels the same way. They love this guy, so I'm excited. I think it's great news for the Chargers. They either land Marvin Harrison Junior or they can trade back, and I think that's where I'm at with pick number five right now. If Marvin Harrison Junior is gone, you trade back. If he's there, you take him. And that's Those are the two scenarios for me that are working inside my brain at this current moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting, we'll see what happens to me. Dour mock drops, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Let's touch on some combine risers here quickly, Tyler, if you had to pick one guy who like maybe moved up your board the most this week or helped their case the most, or was like, hey, like I gotta go back and rewatch this guy, who is that player for you?
Speaker 4: It's a player who put his name on my radar. And that was THEO Johnson, the tight end for Penn State. Because all the discussion about this tight end classes, it's not a very good class.
Speaker 3: It is not last year's class. It has not even closed the last year's class.
Speaker 4: It's it genuinely seems like Brock Bowers and everybody else. THEO Johnson said, hold on for one moment. Now Bowers is tight end one like that is very much clearly still going to be the case. But you're looking for other guys in round two, round three, round four who can jump up and be that tight end you can develop. And THEO Johnson, how many times have we seen a tight end test well? But they're really just a receiver that's really big and they tests really well, but they're not actually a great prospect and they definitely cannot block.
Speaker 3: So I expected to go into this and watch the tight.
Speaker 4: End from Old Dominion last year where you think, okay, the ris is great, you should draft this player, but you watch the film and it's not a perfectly well rounded player. THEO Johnson man, he is an actual true tight end he can be an inline blocking tight end. Don't think he's just a sit there only blocking tight end by any means. But the way they used him, the way they creatively moved him, how he could block in space at the line was fantastic. And then on top of that, he's a guy that has the RAS profile. So to me, he just stuck right on my raidar, Like who is Theo Johnson? Had to watch him, and the good news is it wasn't just that the RAS was good, It was also that he's very good on film too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tight ends tested on Friday, and so Saturday morning I woke up and I was watching all the tight ends that I possibly could. THEO Johnson definitely stands out as an inline tight end type. He, you know, like AJ Barner from Michigan is definitely a better blocker than him. I think he's probably the best in line blocking tight end in this class. But he's he's not much of a receiver and he's not much of a of an athlete. Like to me, you're trying at the tight end position. If you're not taking Brock powers, you're trying to get somebody who has shown flashes of a blocker flashes of a receiver and tests very well. That's the key here, arguably more than any other position. You're trying to bet on traits at tight end because it is a slow developing position usually unless you're a member of the twenty twenty three draft class. Otherwise you're just amazing immediately, but generally speaking, like that's what you're trying to do. And so Theo Johnson to me, if the Chargers don't take Brock Powers, Theo's the guy that you're trying to look out for. For me, I think he has the frame, the athleticism, the flashes of a receiver. He had a route against Illinois. I want to say it was like a kind of a post whip route and it was a fantastic route. He's shown good contested catchability yards after catch ability as well. Like he's the one, and I think of any player of this draft cycle, I think he's potentially helped himself to most because he was the best tight end of the Senior Bowl. He tested like a freak at the Commine.
Speaker 1: So he's the tight end that I think the Chargers should be targeting. Outside of Rock Powers.
Speaker 3: I would agree, do you have him as tight end? Two.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I have ja David Sanders as tight end too. I think he does in terms of like a modern move tight end.
Speaker 1: I think he fits that projection very well.
Speaker 2: He's got great body control, fantastic yards after catchability. He's more of a ready made White like receiving option at tight end. I just I don't love the blocking. I think that's that's the thing that I would question the fit with the Chargers specifically, So that that's my thing is I have Sanders great at higher but THEO I think fits more of like the profile that.
Speaker 1: The Chargers could be looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree, all right for you? Who is you are the biggest riser of the combine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a guy. I loved his tape. I thought, like, instantly watching him, this is a Jim Harbott kind of wide receiver. I thought he was a good athlete, but he tested like an awesome athlete. And that's Ricky Ricky Piersoll from Florida. You know, he played Utah twice. I loved what he did against the Utah So I've watched his game tapes and went back and watched his actual college tape, and I just I loved the toughness over the middle. I loved the contested catchability. The precision that he runs his routes is fantastic. And I was thinking, like, Okay, like this is a guy who's maybe like you know, end of the third round type of wide receiver. Maybe he's a pretty above average athlete. And then he was one of the most athletic testers at the combine, jumped over forty inches in the word, ran a sub four four, and just did a fantastic job at the combine and showedcased his athletic ability at a higher level than I thought. So for me, he's he's somebody that when like I thought, I was high on him in terms of like a top one hundred player, and I think now he's probably worked himself into the top seventy five, top sixty, maybe similar to THEO like he was. He was great at the Senior Bowl, he was great at the Combine. He's just checking these boxes. Man.
Speaker 1: I think he would be a fantastic fit for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Again, if they don't take wide receiver in the first round, he's somebody, you know, if in a trade down senior, if they have a second second round pick, or a second third round pick. He's somebody I could see them making a lot of sense for the charters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess the theme of the best testers at the combine are the guys that I didn't watch.
Speaker 3: I guess that was the whole thing.
Speaker 4: You were really good. I didn't watch you. Peer Saw is not someone I've gotten to yet. Watched fifteen receivers. Didn't get to him. That's how good This wide receiver class is such a good class, and I think there was so much movement for wide receivers overall.
Speaker 3: Pierceall's a the guy out that'll duck have to go watch. I think.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the two Xavier Xavier Worthy and Xavier Loguete as well the receivers. One from Texas, one from South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I'm Worthy. I think you're a winner.
Speaker 4: If you're the fastest forty in NFL history at the Combine, I think that makes you a winner and potentially helps you into the first round.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 4: You know, people might like add An I Mitchell his teammate better. I mean, then Xavier to get someone that I do really like. He's currently my wide receiver six and is flirting with wide receiver five. I just love everything about him statistically he checks out too, and then he goes he six runs of four to three nine, Like just all the good things there. So those two guys and Pierce All's well guys that I think I don't know if they're Round one guys just yet, but they've now pushed themselves to the front of the line in the second round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's totally fair, and I think it's kind of an argument for the Chargers potentially not taking a wide receiver again if Marvin Ersen Junior is not on the board. You know, there's twenty guys in this class that are like, man, I could really love this fit here.
Speaker 1: So it's it's really hard for me.
Speaker 2: Like the combine, I think if you're moving players up and down the board after the combine, I think you're making a mistake unless it was like a disaster or like amazing testing and you didn't do you didn't expect that. But even after the combine, I'm like struggling to break some of these ties at wide receiver in particular because there's a lot of stylistical differences, and then like the testing guys like did so well, and then there's like film guys that I really like. So wide receiver is a tough position to really like pick your poison here because there's just so many different kinds of flavors.
Speaker 4: This year, Yeah, I feel like maybe his last year the year before. Once you get to round two or three, a lot of really good guys, but they're basically smaller, kind of undersized, maybe slot specific guys.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 4: You want a guy who's six ' eight, he's there. You want a smaller guy who's twitchy, he's there.
Speaker 3: You want a guy who.
Speaker 4: Just you can throw it down the field to and he runs a four to three or four to two. There's eighteen of those guys. I mean, whatever you need in this draft, they're all there. It's it's an incredible class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hundred percent.
Speaker 2: A class that I think has become perpetually underrated at this point in time is the cornerback class. And that's where I'm going to go next. With Rutgers cornerback Max Melton, I saw a good athlete. I saw somebody who was able to go toe to toe with Marvin Harrison junior, with Roman Wilson in terms of athleticism, in terms of speed, in terms of tracking, the football in terms of positioning somebody. I like his mentality a lot, and then he went and ran a four to three nine this week at the combine.
Speaker 1: I think his I.
Speaker 2: Was maybe a little concerned about his frame, you know, moving him into the slot, but he has above average arm length over thirty two inches there, and then he's five eleven, so he's not necessarily a giant corner. You know, there's a bunch of those in this class. There's Cam Hart sixty three and Kybrie Jackson sixty three who we like.
Speaker 1: But I was a little concern that Max Melton was maybe like a five ten or below type of corner.
Speaker 2: But he's got good size. He tested very very well in terms of the forty. He jumped over forty inches in the vert he jumped over eleven feet in the broad, so he's very explosive athlete as well. The tackling is a bit of a concern, but I think he's a willing tackler, so I think it's it's some correction that needs to happen there, but it is a correctable issue. So in this class where you have some of these kind of subpar testing testers at corner, you know, Max Melton testing great, again, somebody who did well at the Senior Bowl, just somebody who's checking boxes and this was the next step for him. So if you are the Chargers in this case, I think thirty seven would maybe be a little bit too rich for Max Melton. But again, if you have a late second rounder from a trade down, I think that's kind of where you're targeting him in like the fifty sixty seventy range.
Speaker 4: What did I tell you, guys, if you tested well, I didn't watch you, and I've watched seventy five players at this point, and yes I've watched them. Players that have tested well have not watched Melton either. I know for sure Alex has watched Melton and Milton shouted him out, so that.
Speaker 3: That was really cool for him.
Speaker 4: But yeah, definitely have to go watch him. There were corners in round one who tested very well, Mitchell and Wiggins obviously running at minimum very very fast and testing well and matching what was on tape. How much stock do you put into Terry on Arnold's four or five forty, because there's a lot of discussion about that specific number and how some people fans I should say, went okay, well, four or five. I'd rather go with Mitchell. I'd rather go with Wiggins over someone like tyry On Arnold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're you're trying to look for a player who checks as many boxes as possible. And I think there is some legitimate concern about Terry On Arnold's lack of long speed in comparison to the other guys. But you know, Nate Wiggins is extremely light, Like I'm concerned about his frame holding up in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He got hurt at the combine, obviously, Hope everything's okay. Quinnon Mitchell is somebody who like tested great. His film is fun, but he's a subpart tackler. Like, there's no cornerback is perfect unless you're you're talking about, you know, like the best cornerback prospect ever, maybe a Derald Reeves type or Deon Sanders or whatever. But I think he's fast enough. I think he over compensates with his speed with his or maybe lack of speed, I should say, with his instincts, with his ball skills, with his physicality, with his mentality.
Speaker 1: I think there's enough there where I'm not concerned about the four or five.
Speaker 2: And there are other cornerbacks in the league who are great cornerbacks and also ran at four or five because they have all of those other things that they bring to the table as well. So I still have Arnold as the CV one. I didn't see anything this weekend that made me question otherwise. And then he crushed the interview circuit as well in terms of the media. You know, obviously we don't know about how he did for the team interviews, you know, behind closed doors. Based off of what I saw on TV, on on cameras, I would imagine he did very, very well in those interviews. So I think he just checks the most boxes. Maybe he's not a perfect prospect, and I can understand why some people disagree with me who call him a blue chip player, but he's CB one unquestioned. For me, I think there's a pretty significant gap between him and the rest of the corner class.
Speaker 3: I think I would agree.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna watch these guys one more time, that particular trio at the top, I'll watch them one more time just to make sure. Even if he is slower than the other two corners, Hey, when you're throwing the football, when the opposing team is throwing the football, maybe.
Speaker 3: You want to be faster. You do want to be faster.
Speaker 4: The other opposing team can also run the football or throw a screen or a shallow crosser and make you go tackle. And that's where Arnold is significantly better. So you know, maybe he doesn't run a four to three or he doesn't run a four to three. I don't think it hindered him as much. And it's not like the Chargers are unfamiliar or charges fan should be unfamiliar with a corner who doesn't run a four to three. I mean, Casey Hayward is the best corner the Chargers I've had in a while. I think he ran like a four to six. So different zone corner, so very different, I guess. But you don't necessarily need to be running that fast to be great. It helps with the tiebreaker, I think. But Arnold just has a little bit more ahead of those guys because he can play the run much better than those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that. Was he your other winner.
Speaker 3: He was one of them.
Speaker 4: I could have mentioned him, but mostly for the interview stuff, because if you're going to just look at the testing and that's all you're taking away from there, you're not really doing the combine. Right to me, the interview is the meeting in person, the temperament, the character of those individuals that matters a lot. So guys like him, guys like Jack Powers Johnson apparently crushing the interviews that meant a lot.
Speaker 3: So in a different kind of way, those are winners as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree there that those were the main ones that I wanted to highlight. Did you want to highlight anybody else?
Speaker 4: I could go for a while. I mean Florida State, it's Bradon Fisk. I liked him, second round grade on him. Not the biggest guy, but a great tester. Jalen Wright, I think one of the most underrated running backs in the class from Tennessee. First and yards per attempt, first st yards after contact per attempt, third and break breakaway rate, and he's like in the hundreds of a lot of consensus boards. And yet he goes out and runs a four to three eight. So I just think you pay attention to those guys.
Speaker 3: Who else?
Speaker 4: I think Joe Alt kind of because he tested very well. He finished testing and I think he solidified himself as maybe OT one in this class. So a lot of winners could go on. Forevery on this one, but I'll leave.
Speaker 2: It sounds good. Grenda from Louisvio the running back as well. I have not watched him, but him and Jalen Wright man like athleticism.
Speaker 1: Is very real there.
Speaker 2: In terms of the opposite direction here. In terms of the followers, unfortunately, you do have to start with Bucky Irving, who entered the week as my RB one. Just from a film standpoint, I love Bucky Irving. The analytical profile is fantastic as well, in terms of miss tackles, force, in terms of yards after contact per attempt.
Speaker 1: There's so much to like there.
Speaker 2: But he's like twenty second percentile in a lot of categories in terms of athletic traits, and that's just it's a tough I don't think you should fall off of a player.
Speaker 1: That drastically based off of what film tells you.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, like this is becoming a position that is really reliant on explosive traits as a way to raise a player's floor. Film can do that as well. But you know, you're looking at these guys who we just mentioned two of them, and then Trey Benson goes out and runs a four to three nine, and Jonathan Brooks to me also has great films, So I'm not a huge Blake Korm guy. But Blake Korm tested very well, and so it's like there were a lot of running backs who did extremely well at the combine and then Bucky Bucky Ieren unfortunately did the opposite. So he is no longer the RB one on my sheet. Unfortunately it was that bad of a testing weekend for him. So it's it's unfortunate because I love the film, I love the prospect, but you know, this is a position where you're trying to bet on those athletic traits weighing out, and you're trying to match athletic traits and film as well, and so you match a guy like Trey Benson. Film testing was great, Jalen Wright. Film testing is great. So unfortunately I think I do think Bucky Aering has to drop a few spots for me.
Speaker 4: Couldn't believe it when I saw that that was the testing. I could not believe that it was his testing. And frankly, watching the film, you know, games, b GPS, all those things do matter more. But boy, I didn't expect twenty second percent stile out of Bucky Irving, Like, you rarely get to be that good in college and that good in per play stats and then also be I'm not that bad. We don't really know. Maybe there's an injury, who knows, but usually you're like, what happened that? That was such a surprise. I didn't expect that. That was the biggest surprise by far. I think if we had talked about one single player today, I think we both would have said Bucky Irving in terms of stock down, that was unfortunate. Another organ player, Troy Franklin, is another player I'll bring up. It didn't test poorly by any means. I did not watch the combine live and I watched on TV, but based on reports, he fell four separate times during positional drills and had problem pulling in the football and catching the football during various drills. And that's just it's not great obviously when that happens, but it's really not great when we just talked about how many good receivers there.
Speaker 3: Are in this class.
Speaker 4: If someone like the gat moves up, and Worthy moves out, and Mitchell moves up and all these guys, Piresol moves up. If you're out there and you are struggling to do these drills, you're going to move down. And unfortunately this is you know Franklin. He's bottom third in this class in contested catch rate, in drop rate. So if you go out there and you're struggling to move, keep your footing and catch the football, that is a very, very tough sell. So that's going to move him down.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, it's like the same kind of story as Bucky Iring, Like it's you know, it's a guy who the film it looks really good. You know, he's running past people and it's not just like I know people out there will say he's like, oh, he played in the Pact. Well, the Pact was really good this year, But Troy Franklin was running past everybody, and I think he does have that top speed, but I think you see kind of the athletic difference between him and a guy like Keon Coleman. Keon Coleman was hitting like over twenty miles per hour on the gauntlet drills, and Troy Franklin was consistently around like the seventeen eighteen mark, which is still very fast, but he doesn't have like that instant short area quickness and speed and explosiveness that I think people are again trying to break ties here. That's something that really matters.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, anybody else for you stock down in particular, Yeah, stock down.
Speaker 2: I think Braylan Trice, unfortunately, you know, this edge Rusher group does kind of lack in that second tier, and I was hoping that Braylan Trice, who reportedly tested very well at the Washington Pro Day in the spring, just did not have that same kind of explosiveness that I was hoping for.
Speaker 1: Again, the film is really really good.
Speaker 2: I think there is a lot to work with there in terms of his motor his character. He also was another one who kind of stumbled a couple of times. He was slow, he like missed, he did the drills wrong a couple of times as well, had to restart. So it was just an unfortunate weekend for him. And I think these athletic traits in the second round, third round, guys you're looking for guys who can you can really bet on that upside, and unfortunately Brandon Trice just tested very poorly. Maybe that changes out the Pro Day, but right now I think stockdown for Brandon Trice is fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll go through another defender that's kool Aid McKinstry at the corner from Alabama. There has to be a whole study on his fall from grace from the last year to this one, and this heat they discovered a Jones fracture and that's not going to impact his twenty twenty four season. It sounds like he's going to go through his pro day and he's going to you know, work through it, play through it, whatever, and then have the procedure this summer and then it shouldn't impact his rookie season. But it's just another thing. And for a guy who's been struggling to hold on to even CB two or CEB three for that to happen, that's just going to move him further and further down. So he wasn't able to test at all. That's very unfortunate.
Speaker 3: So nothing major.
Speaker 4: He's never missed a game at Alabama. This is not an injury prone player, so I think he's still going in the first round. But it's just another thing for a guy who keeps falling down draft boards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's totally fair characterization for him. Again, hopefully the prote goes really well, but there are athletic concerns there too, and so I think even more so than a Tarryan Arnold type. So you're trying to check all these boxes I keep saying, and unfortunately Cooling Makonstry just has not had the off season I think everybody was hoping for there.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: Right, Like I mentioned earlier, we are going to do a quick five round mock draft.
Speaker 1: Five rounds kind of our sweet spot.
Speaker 2: Appreciate and respect anybody who feels like they can do seven rounds. Respectfully, we like to talk about players that we actually have watched and studied, and so we get to seven rounds and we're kind of like, that's the name I recognized, let's take that guy. We're not gonna do that today. We're gonna do five rounds. We are going to consider and weigh the trade down options. That doesn't exclusively.
Speaker 1: Mean first round.
Speaker 2: Maybe we do a stick and pick at five scenario trade down in the second n Like I've talked about before, I do expect Joe Ortiz to play the board on draft weekend and we'll kind of see what happens there. So again, five round mock draft on Pro Football Focus, and we'll jump through some scenarios here.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully don't trade down too many times because I'm not doing that much math man.
Speaker 2: No, we'll do if we do a trade down, it will be one time. We're not gonna get crazy with that.
Speaker 1: I think. Again, you can run.
Speaker 2: You can go crazy on the PFF simulary to trade down seventeen times if you really wanted to. I think that's a little unrealistic. So what we'll do if we do a trade down will be either at five or.
Speaker 1: At thirty seven. What kind of waste scenarios there?
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Start the draft, all right, So this is this is definitely a trade doown scenario for me. You have Kayla Williams, Drake Maga one and two. Marvin Harrison goes three league neighbors at four. This is a scenario that I do think is possible because I just think these wide receivers are that good. So on the Pro Football Focus is simulation. We have twenty three teams interested in trading for this pick right now. This to me, if this scenarion folds, is a no brainer trade down. So let's look at some of these teams that might be interested.
Speaker 4: Here basically, everyone, but I am certainly more looking into the Atlanta Falcons the Minnesota Vikings here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Falcons very potentially interested in Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield. So I think in a quarterback scenario, I think you're I would trend towards the Minnesota Vikings because I think the if you trade down to the Vikings you can get a future first round pick due to the quarterback tacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the quarterback tacks helps so much here. And frankly Daniel's being available here. I don't think he'll be available, but if he is, that helps so much. That makes that pick way more valuable for the Chargers. That's a whole bidding war.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 4: He seems to be the consensus QB three. So yeah, in terms of what the Chargers would get, so they give up the fifth overall pick. Obviously, Unfortunately, the Vikings don't have a third round pick this year or another second round pick, so you're definitely getting their first and second this year. I think you're aiming for something next year. Now in terms of the value of the selections, technically five for eleven and forty two is about even. I actually think the Chargers have to send a pick if we're just looking at pure draft pick value, but because of the quarterback tax and the luxury of having to trade up for a quarterback, the Vikings will have to give up more. When the Bills traded up with the Bucks for Josh Allen, they swapped first round picks, obviously, and then the Bucks got two first round picks in that draft as well as obviously the pick they traded back for. So I think for the Vikings here it doesn't matter for our simulations, just a twenty twenty four simulation, but the Chargers should either get around one pick next year, two pick next year either way. But I'm with you. I'm on board for trading down at this point. I think if neighbors were there, we'd have a bit more of an argument here. I love brock Bowers, of course, but the team is not one pick away. I'm all for trading down and seeing what happens here at eleven. So is this okay with I feel like eleven and forty two for five there will be a future first or second. It doesn't matter. I'll say future first. It doesn't matter for this year, but hey, I'll take it if that. If that, that's then the equivalent of Jackson powers Johnson next year or whatever, some mid round pick.
Speaker 3: I'm all for it. So this work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's totally fine.
Speaker 3: I will force the trade. I got it right.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some things you could like throw in there to make things work different than if the Vikings are playing hardball.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that to me is kind of like the starting point. Second this year, first round next year, and then we can get rolling.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. Let's resume this draft.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, so Fuago, Wiggins, Bowers, Odoonsay.
Speaker 3: I'll go Makiza Kuberater Cooper. Hey man, you guys do whatever you'd want. Not my business.
Speaker 4: So at this point, I think a lot of charges fans are on the same page.
Speaker 3: It's corner or tackle.
Speaker 4: To me, I think Trey Pipkins will be better in this system, with this coaching with Ben Herbert, Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh, you name it.
Speaker 3: They literally do not have.
Speaker 4: Enough corners to field a true defense out here. And yeah, of course offense would be great, But to me, this is corner, and I think we've made our intentions clear on which one so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a really hard time picturing Oulu for Shanu or Fashion new excuse me is what I learned. It's pronounced this week, but I have a hard time believing him he's on the board here. If he is, I think you can have a legitimate debate between Fashion and Tarry Arnold. But for me, I just think Tarryon Arnold is the better prospect. Like you, I also agree that Trey Pipkins is slated for an improvement in twenty twenty four. So I'm on board obviously with Terry Arnold being the pick here at eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no problem for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, Terry on Arnold, that's pretty easy for me. We'll see what happens in round two.
Speaker 2: So now, obviously the Chargers have thirty seven and forty four forty two, all right, so this should be fun. Zach Fraser just went at thirty five. That's that's an unfortunate one. Obviously Charges need a center court Lindsay likely to retire. There's JJ McCarthy at thirty four, so maybe PFF needs to update their simulator rankings here a bit.
Speaker 4: Well, he was he was the first quarterback taking just in the second round, so I think gym specified.
Speaker 2: See this is this is kind of the reason why I'm potentially on board with waiting at receiver or offensive tackle, because I really believe in the depth of this class. You like Jordan Morgan a lot at tackle, I believe if I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: No, but I appreciate you ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought we talked about him. I like him a lot at guard. For what it's worth, I think he'll be a fantastic guard prospect. So you could maybe kind of just take a versatile offensive lineman there. The wide receiver board here is completely stacked still with Keon Coleman, Roman Wilson's. They were worthy. Ricky Piersall, who I just talked about. Where are you leaning here at thirty seven after taking a corner around eleven?
Speaker 4: Yes, if you go defense first, you got to take an offensive playmaker here, and for me, with Titan not being my favorite, here, you go wide receiver. I have not watched Roman Wilson, so you'd have to tell me how you feel about him. There were some rumblings about him being one of the fastest guys at the combine. Wasn't a slow forty by any means, but I believe it was like a four to four, So not the four to three to one somewhere projecting Pierce all, I'll have to take your word for it there, but poke Worthy obviously Xavier to get I really like great options there. It just really depends on what kind of receiver you want. Keon Coleman is the highest ranked on the board. Not a particular favorite of mine in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I would debate here.
Speaker 1: Let me pull my grades just to be sure. I have.
Speaker 2: Actually the highest graded receiver on the board for me right now is Jalen Polk from Washington.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 2: I believe he would be a perfect fit for what the receiver room would look would look like, but I also understand I'm maybe a little higher on him than some other people. So I would be debating between Jayen and Polk or Roman Wilson here personally.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I could also understand Zavi Worthy, the current fastest man in Combin history. That headgeresher room also could be mighty enticing there. But we're going offense, so I'm okay with with Wilson. I'm okay with Jayen Polk or is ever Worthy.
Speaker 3: Let's go with Polk.
Speaker 4: We both like the next highest graded wide receiver and we both actually watched him.
Speaker 3: So there we go. The ven diagram aligns. Where's Polk that I lose him? There? He is? Yeah, Polk for me wonderful.
Speaker 4: I really like Kyrie Jackson the corner and Polk just to be able to get on top of a six four corner with a lot of speed and score touchdown like you did in that game.
Speaker 3: I think Polk is is awesome.
Speaker 4: I think it's unfair that the that Washington had him and o'duonsay, So Polk school with me here. Frankly, we could take Worthy in five picks too if we wanted to. Polk is my favorite receiver remaining, So I'll go with Polk here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, for those who might be questioning this, Steve Smith actually has jam Polk greated higher than Romo Dunsay. If you really need a different opinion there, you can go Steve Smith with that, I think because I think I think Steve Smith likes guys who remind him of him, and so Jayden Polk has that kind of toughness that Steve Smith played with, and so I think that's that's probably why. But I think there's a lot of natural transition again from Odunsea or from Mike Williams to Oduonzay, And same thing with Jenalleen Pole. Jayleen Polk's an outstanding contested catch player. He's an outstanding, you know, intermediate kind of player. You can play the AXCI, you can play the why Z. So there's there's a lot to like there where Jalen Polk. And you know, if you're a little lower on him than us, I think I understand why. Again, this wide receiver is so stacked. It's just kind of personal preference there. And obviously, yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 4: I think if the Charger didn't take Quentin Johnson last year, I'd be more convinced to take.
Speaker 3: Someone like Worthy in the second round.
Speaker 4: But I think with two potential down the field guys Quentin Johnson coming out, obviously the question mark was hands Worthy. That is the question mark for Xavior Worthy is the hands contested catch drop right, et cetera. So I don't know if you want to go to there so Worthy in a in just a vacuum, it's like, okay, justin Herbert throwing to the fastest guy at the combine sounds fantastic, But I don't know if you want to invest in hands that are as questionable. But again, if you trade back, do whatever you want. You could take him just for fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so right now, obviously we have the corner, we have the wide receiver. In this instance, I would prefer a front seven defender. I'm not super picky about edge dt. I probably wouldn't take a linebacker, but I could hear you out there, so I would prefer a defensive line pick here.
Speaker 4: That's what I So, if Fraser we're here, we take him as the center. I think now we're gonna have to wait till the third round to find the next center, or maybe the Chargers to sign one. So I think an edge rusher or the interior guys here would be great. I would be very tempted for Saint ras still as well, but we did take our corners.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we want to do it twice all we could in the third round.
Speaker 4: So to me, I'm looking at defensive tackle, I'm looking at edge, and I'm feeling good about either. You really like Darius Robinson and he is. I've watched him just briefly. He told me to watch him, so I got all of like one and a half games in the dude's got power for days. And in a world where we've watched more of Khalil Mack than I anticipated doing as a non Raiders fan, of course, and then suddenly backs on the Chargers. That power stuff. Man, when you have that extra thing that you can do is wonderful. I think the same goes for Tully too. Honestly, when they drafted him, I thought the one thing that he would have walking into the NFL was power and playing the run, and so.
Speaker 3: Look, he turned out pretty good.
Speaker 4: So the only hold up here is this is pre free agency and we don't know what's happening at edge. So would you invest a second round pick in what is currently your fourth edge rusher or would you go more defensive tackle with, say like a Chris Jenkins. I don't know if briden Fisk fits their type. Jenkins obviously does, or maybe someone like Rouke. So post free agency, I believe edge would maybe be more likely. But it's tough right now because we're projecting quite a bit. Whereas a defensive tackle they don't have enough guys, And then linebacker I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I'm not investing in linebacker just yet.
Speaker 2: No linebacker I think I saw Eddrian Cooper. I know Junior Carlston on the board. Forty two is too early for me for a linebacker, even with the Chargers need there. Darius Robinson would be my edge choice. I would be okay with it right now. The Chargers don't really have into your defensive line death that they need. They could certainly invest in that. I I think, for sake of where the Chargers are at right now, I wouldn't be opposed to Chris Jenkins here either.
Speaker 3: Yeah hmm.
Speaker 2: I although he did not test like the mutant of all mutants, he tested very very like.
Speaker 3: One of the be tier mutants. No, I'm kidding, he did. He's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think, look, we'll do another mock draft. I think post free agency we can go edge. I think right now, because the Chargers have the roster of the way they have it, I kind of think we have to go defensive tackle in Chris Jenkins here. Yeah, I attend, So let's take free free agency. I think you have to go with the tackle here. I do like other ones later on.
Speaker 2: All right, So, as of this current moment, we have Terry Arnold, Jalen Polk, and Chris Jenkins on the chargers roster. What's your Is this a linebacker territory? Is this running back territory?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Running back I think can wait on this particular board, and on the consensus board you can still wait for the guys like right, like Benson. I still don't know why, but hey, if you're going to play the board that way, that's why I'll play the board.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: This wide receiver broader is still really good, as are some of the centers. So obviously this is the point where you have to start considering center. I think if you don't have or if you take someone and you've drafted someone or you signed someone, I think you just start considering a center here, whether it's Van Prant or Mason McCormick, who tested very well calls protections from guard at South Dakota State, which I did not realize, And yeah, Alex cats and discussed that within the chat with us, and that was pretty cool. Practice center practice center at the Shrine Bowl, so good stuff there. So you could go center here. Otherwise I think you kind of just b p a at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that would probably be Rouke, but we just took Chris Jenkins. Although you really like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like Brandon Dorless too, but again, we just took Chris right.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so I'm not entirely opposed. I don't think we can take two d tackles and survive the comment.
Speaker 3: Section, but I do.
Speaker 4: I do understand the allure of maybe more of a run specific guy and then more of a past rusher in Doorless, so I wouldn't mind him. Can we look at I prefer Michael Hall, the doorless Bucky Irving.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I would as well. I would as well. I didn't realize he was so far down.
Speaker 3: I would be okay, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: This is maybe THEO Johnson territory too.
Speaker 4: He's at one fifty five, believe it or not, so we could wait quite a bit for him if he wanted to play this particular board.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on board with McCormick to be the center future here. The dude tested like an athletic freak. The film is is I haven't watched it, but I watched the shrine Ball clips and the dude was amazing on the trible So I'd be on board there, or maybe one of the running backs because you could get I think RB one at this point in time. I know Trey Benson is much further down here, but I think you could entertain trade.
Speaker 4: Benson realistically, you're probably looking at Trey Benson here. If not, then definitely the next pick. But let's go let's go Center of the Future here. If we believe in McCormick to be that guy, let's go with Miason McCormick. And then I think I feel like I know what the next two picks.
Speaker 3: Are going to be.
Speaker 4: So let's go with our Center of the Future here at minimum, interior offensive woman guy of the future.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, hen a guard for you, like you mentioned, does calls as a guard, which is pretty pretty crazy. Brett Coleman swears by for what it's worth. Uh, this is definitely running back to.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm Trey Benson. You had a nine to seventy five r s. Your film matches numbers are great, runs well, catches the ball. I do not know why he's here, but I'm happy to take him here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would go Trey Benson.
Speaker 2: A lot of people love the fit of Brainlan Allen for the Chargers as well, but Trey Benson as it currently stands is neck and neck with Jonathan Jonathan Brooks for Harvey one for me. I haven't broken that tie yet. They both have medical concerns.
Speaker 4: But I go Tred Benson here, got a running back, heck of a running back. And now we have one pick left, pick one thirty nine. Oh look who's right at the top one. Well, you don't need me anymore?
Speaker 1: What's a respect of my guy's name?
Speaker 4: You know, the Chargers technically, right as it currently stands, could use a safety. So at this point, this is where I'm feeling linebacker territory with someone like a Michael Barrett. I'm also considering edge rusher if we didn't take one, so you could look at Jalen Harrell, you could look at Brandon McGregor, the two Michigan guys. Maybe a little early here, I am very much so because we don't have one thinking tight end here. I'm THEO Johnson right here. If we didn't take a center than Drake Nugent, but I'm I'm team THEO Johnson. And if you have anybody else you want to look at, I'm all for it. But that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously I would be on board with Cole Bishop. I think he goes much earlier than the fifth round. I also think THEO Johnson is earlier than the fifth round as well. Given the Chargers needs, I think you take the tight end. Like I think you can find safety depth in free agency and a much easier rate than through the draft. I think you want to take a shot on a long term tight end.
Speaker 4: I think the I would agree it'd be a fun pairing with Donald Parham or anybody else they bring in.
Speaker 3: So there we go.
Speaker 4: Now they're going to grade our mock, and because we believe in these players more than the mock that's not updated, we'll get a good like B minus for this, but it's an A plus in my hearts.
Speaker 2: We got a D for Jayalen Polk A and C minus or J Benson.
Speaker 3: What's the overall grade is A C plus? Sees get degrees?
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah for sure. Now, I mean I understand why they they had Polk at like the sixties, but it is what it is. They never get good grades for taking into your offensive lineman. I need them to put some respect on that. Like you know, it's every time you take it into your offensive line. Mean, you get a bad grade for whatever reason. On the simulator, so it.
Speaker 1: Is what is.
Speaker 2: I would be thrilled with this draft. I think you check a lot of needs here. You get some instant impact guys with Arnold, Polk, Jenkins, and Benson, as well as potentially McCormick depending on what they do in free agency. Tight end of the future. So I would be thrilled with this draft. I know a lot of people in the comments are probably gonna be upset that we passed on Romo Donday.
Speaker 1: I totally get it.
Speaker 4: Oh well, send us your Marx. I'm happy to discuss them with you in the comment section. I love a lot of mock drafts as long as they're mildly realistic. So yeah, let us know you could go we could have stuck and taken Bowers, but yeah, no, I like this group for sure. Benson is the easiest Round four pick every single time I do a mock draft, So I really like this group. I think we got the requisite one Michigan guy. At least you play corny, you play receiver, you play detackle. That's addressing three of the four best position groups in this class didn't go offensive tackle. We definitely could have. That's a great position group, but this class is all corner, wide, receiver, D tackle and I think going one, two, three in that order.
Speaker 3: I feel pretty good about that.
Speaker 1: All right, Hopefully you guys enjoyed that one.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you're running through some different scenarios as we are currently doing right now and trying to weigh all options because I think everything is kind of on the table this year with the new regime, so we'll see what happens there. Like I mentioned, we are just under a week away from free agency. We'll have a lot of coverage on that regard on this channel as well as our own, so make sure and subscribe to both channels. Like the videos, comment all that good stuff. Tyler Any I'm excited, man.
Speaker 3: I'll boom. We're here in March.
Speaker 4: What happened, But it's March. Free agency is next and I'm excited. It's a winning time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Draft is next month, so it's rapidly approaching here. So appreciate you guys for tuning in. Thanks to Greg Kim for producing and the rest of the Charters team. You guys are the best in the business, sincerely mean it, and that's going to do it for us. We'll see you guys next week. As always bull up