Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations. It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Rashan McDonald host this weekly money Making Conversation Masterclass show. The interviewers, interviews and information that this show provides offer everyone. Basically, it's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My next guess is Underfiltered. He's a journalist who's always maintained a clear sense of his calling in this world. Many of bestowed upon him, the moniker, the voice of Black America. Please welcome to I wanted to make a conversation masterclass. I call them the one and only Roland Martin.
Speaker 4: How I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: What's happening, Doc, Well.
Speaker 3: They get out the way. Both of us are Houstonians. Ye, get that out the way.
Speaker 4: Man. You know your third Ward Texas on field Ward Texas.
Speaker 2: Well, I went to high school in third Ward, but I actually actually born and raised in Clinton Park. Oh exactly what. I was born and raised in Clinton Park, right next to the ship Channel two fifty defend the street grandparents so Clinton people don't realize is that Clinton Park in Pleasantville were two master planning communities for forfical Americans. My grandparents migrated from Opoulusu's Louisiana to Houston there and so they little eight blocks from us. So that's why I was born and raised. So I was zoned the fir High school, but I actually went to Yates for their School of Communications. That's why I went there.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Beautiful because of the fact that in Houston you can clearly see where you know, segregation starts by naming of the streets.
Speaker 4: You drive and all of a sudden they immediately change names. So you know, that's the black street and this is the white street. Exact clear it was when it was in Houston, Texas. We can verify that.
Speaker 3: But in watching our careers grow and I watched you a lot brother unfiltered.
Speaker 4: What exactly does that mean when I see the word unfiltered.
Speaker 2: Well, what happens is is that when we speak to issues, Look, a lot of people are afraid. A lot of people don't want to say what we say privately. A lot of people don't want to call it like it is. A lot of people don't want to call out prominent African Americans because, oh no, we don't want to air our dirty laundry. And the position that I take is one that is very simple. That is, we have to speak truth to power. We have to be unfiltered.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: We we we cannot shirk that responsibility. And and I've I've had a very basic premise.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: That is my motto. It was my entire career. Uh. And it's very simple. If you do good, I'll talk about you. If you do bad, I'll talk about you. At the end of the day, I'll talk about you. Uh. And so a lot of people that that that scares a lot of people, And I'll never forget. It was the fifth anniversary of the March in Washington for Jobs and Freedom, and I had made some comments about the King children regarding the MK Memorial, and so Man Martin Luther Kingan third and and Bernice, but they were not happy with me. So m ok the third you know, you know, you know y'all, y y'all don't understand. I'm like, yeah, yeah, we do. And then Bernie said, you know, you know, brother, I love you, but you know y'all can walk a day in our shoes. I said, Bernice, I want you to look at it. Everybody, I said, everybody here I'm talking about. It was Reverend Joseph Liverry, Reverend Sharpton. This was at the event on Saturday, Sharpton's March the official Things that Monday. I said, I said, everybody here knows that at any given time I'll hit that. I said, that's gonna come a day when you gonna want me to hit somebody for you. No. Lie. Three days later, while we are in d C. This is the this is the official celebration. President Obama was there, Oprah was there. All these people were there. Three days later, unbeknowns to us, unbeknownst to her, her brothers had filed a lawsuit against her in Atlanta, trying to get her ousted from the King Center. The story came out that Tuesday, and you know me, I sent her a message. I said, you didn't realize that day was gonna come this fast time. So that's just how so for me, unfiltered means. And I tell people my maternal grandparents had eight kids. Those eight kids had thirty nine kids. Those thirty nine kids have something like seventy kids, and those seventy kids got something like one hundred teen hundred and twenty Bruh. I never spent the night in the non family member's house. I didn't have room for friends. I had enough cousins, so I don't need friends today. So I'm gonna say what has to be said from the chips fall what they may.
Speaker 3: Because family got your back. Because family got your back, family got your back.
Speaker 2: Listen, it ain't even even in fact. See when I did an interview with Blad TV and I talked about how I am absolutely, adamantly opposed to Hazen, and I talked about my pledge process and how our chapter pledged I'm an alpha. And so I got a call from some bruhs you know in the chapter. And I was like, let me tell y'all something I got called from some alb's. I said, Hey, I don't need none of y'all to defend me. None of y'all. If any brothers in the chapter or any brothers outside of the chapter got a problem with something, I had to say, tell it has to call me. I said, I've been I said, I've been dealing with folks straight since I was seventeen years old. I've been writing columns, I've been on radio. I said, Man, I ain't afraid to deal with nobody. I said, I said, I would indemnify y'all from having to defend me. I said, I told about LB's, I don't need none of y'all to defend me. If anybody got a problem, tell them to call me and we can have a discussion straight. So that's just how I roll, man, and I think people.
Speaker 4: That's what makes you unfiltered.
Speaker 3: That's what makes you just the journey, you know, because a little history by rolling in that we back in Houston young, we rolle in the Houston Defender, prominent black newspaper in Houston, Texas, and back then Roland knew what he wanted to do. I was still searching for myself. So when he talks about having a clear understanding of who he is. I can vouch for that.
Speaker 2: I can fourteenth at fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I didn't know him at fourteenth, but I knew him at the Houston Defender, and he was a young whipper snapper, as they say, and he was very opinionated and he would challenge not only my relationship in a good way. His challenges are never offensive because he just wants the truth and he wants a response from you that's legitimate and not saying it down a water down.
Speaker 4: That is something that I really appreciate about you.
Speaker 3: What I also appreciate it she appreciated about you is that I've seen you featured on BT I've seen you featured on Seeing It, I've seen you featured.
Speaker 4: On TV one.
Speaker 3: What is the difference between those episodes of your life and what you're doing now in the podcast world slash TV world?
Speaker 4: Because really streaming is the new TV.
Speaker 2: So I'll start from this point. First, the beauty my first paid job for The Houston Defender is that I never developed the perspective that white media was more important. Yes, I had an internship with CBS News in Dallas, a hit Hunter with Don Fitzpatrick and associates set it up. And they set it up and half the internship, but it was a non paid internship. I would have to live with some family members. It was just look, I couldn't afford that, and so I saw I turned it down. I stayed at home. I got job of the Houston Defender, and I worked at Wendy's as well. Now, his was interesting that March. This is nineteen ninety. That March was I was. I was on the born of NABJ National Association of Black Journalists, and I was in LA and a friend went to the house of this brother and Tommy Wright. Tommy Wright at the time was married to his sister, worked at LA Times. So we were in Tommy's. We were in Tommy's kitchen, uh, and I was Tommy was asking about the things that I had already done by the time in my career. I I was in college, and he said, you've done all this. He said, bro, you should never work another day in your life for free. And so when I went to the Defender un aside jobs, was like, well, our intern is free. I said, no, y'all gotta pay me. He said, now, y'all gotta pay me, and she was sort of like and I was like, no, y'all gotta pay me, like this is what I've done. And so I can't remember if it was two hundred and fifty dollars, I don't know what it was. But I got paid and I knew I did. I didn't. I like, I understood my worth then and so so you get that. And then so again, just think about that. I turned down an interns of free internshi with CBS News to work at a black paper where then they paid me a lot of money. But it was some money see for a lot of black people, what CBS. But I did more at the Defender in that summer that I would have done at CBS. And that was the first thing what that said to me early on. This is nineteen ninety. What that said to me was, what's more? That was thirty four years ago. What's more important is the opportunity and not the size of the company.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about DEI. Why ISDI under attack.
Speaker 2: First of all, most Dei's bush and when I say bullish is not real. The individuals who the individuals who have these jobs. Seventy five percent of all DEI jobs held a bout white folks that they don't have P and their responsibility, so they don't have any real budgets. Okay, DEI jobs no different from the you know, global diversity whatever. Now, No, you gotta have P and responsibility. The only real DEI jobs that are significant is when the CEO has made it clear this is the mandates. That's the only thing. The reason DEI is under attack is no different than the firmative action down the line. You got white folks in this country who do not want us to succeed. The reason I wrote this book White Fear, how the browning of Americas making white folks lose their minds is because they see what is going on. They know that by twenty forty three, we're gonna be a nation majority people of color. And what you have was is this these white folks who cannot handle they now have to compete. So in their minds, like the polls show, they believe that racism against white people is as equal or more is gainst black people. Come on, bruh, But that's the deal. Because they now have to compete, They now are in a situation. Uh, they now are in a situation that uh, they that they can't handle they can't control, and so so the Supreme Court decision or gives it from innive action. The attack against the Fearless Fund. Uh, now you got that racist Stephen Miller his group, they are filing challenges against the NFL's Rooney Rule. They have written to the EEOC to investigate the NFL or the Rooney Rule requiring that they interview minority candidates for top positions. And so they want to attack everything that we have seen that how black people have been able to at least get a foothold in this society. And so they'll go, oh, yeah, you get a job because you're black. But Johnson about these but you say nothing about these mediocre white folks over here who got jobs. And so bruh. Every I'm telling you, I wrote this book, uh September two years ago. I've been talking about this, this concept since two thousand and nine. Same thing I saw it coming. That was a poll taking two thousand and nine around Obamas Obama's inauguration. The question was asked, are you optimistic about the future of America for your children? Black people, latinos Asian Americans, Native Americans majority said yes. One group was less than the majority. White America. And so I was talking about this on shows. I was putting it into my stuff on a TV doc. They weren't listening, they weren't paying attention. And I've been telling I said, y'all, this thing is coming, this thing is coming, that resentment against Obama. I said, y'all, this thing is coming, is bubbling is coming. Trump comes in, and you know what he did. He said, you know what, we can peel back this seaing. Y'all can now say whatever y'all want, but no repercussions. And guess what. It's been a flood since two thousand and sixteen, and so that's why it's under attack. They are going. Let me be perfectly cliffed, everybody who's listened to me, let me clear. If there is any program or initiative at schools, in corporations, anywhere that is designed to level the playing field for black people and people of color, all of it is going to be under attack. And the people who are also the most silent are the greatest beneficiaries of these programs, white women.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations, Master Class. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Master Class. Hosted by Rashaan MacDonald.
Speaker 2: This cannot be a situation where black people are the ones out here fighting this. White women, y'all have benefited from these programs more than anybody else, and then the ones who are quiet. That's why DEI is under attack. That's why it was critical race theory. Now they put everything under DEI. Now it's tacking woke, anything that is all anti black. That is what these attacks are.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, because multiple streams of income.
Speaker 3: Accepting your truth, I'm hearing that out of you.
Speaker 2: First of all, you got to stop at the bolder streams of income because that was the most important thing. Never let one person control your money. So by by having the multiple they could not they could not control they had. They had a debate in Austin and they said, hey, we're not gonna bring any contributors. I said, okay, I said, so I registered the debate. He said, what are you doing? I said, oh, I'm sorry. I don't need y'all to pay for me to go to the debate. I got this show over here, and so so I go to Austin. Then they go, hey you. They go, hey, well, we realized that you know what we could use you on TV. I said, well, my whole time out. Now you want to put me on TV. I said, y'all don't have to pay for my hotel room. Since y'all now want to use me on CNN and you ain't paid for nothing, you ain't getting me free now, mind you. I was still be paid as a contributor. I didn't get paid for her appearans. I got paid a monthly fee. I said, but since y'all want to use being offered, y'all gotta pay for the hotel room. So I never allowed because when they told me no, I will go no problem over here Trayvon Market when he got killed. I go to Sandford. They were like, you're here. I'm like, yeah, I don't need y'all to pay for my stuff. The mistake that we make is we would let one company control our destiny. I had Tom Joiner money, I had TV one money, I had CNN money, I had speech money, I had book money, and I had I straight up brother. I had executive the e P. Scott Matthews was talking. The tone was quite paternalistic, brother, and I said, Scott, ma me help you out. I got five lines of revenue. Y'all number three, he sort of. I said, and if this ends, I do this here, brother man, the look and that's what look. I'm straight up. Many other white executives, as seeing In could not handle that I had five lines of revenue because they couldn't control my money. When you control the money, you control the output. I said, yeah, I can't talk about this here. I'm a discussing on Joanna. I'm discussing on TV one. See, that's the whole deal. I know. The day I signed with ceeing In, I told my agent, Mark Watts, We're not going to go get another deal that meets or exceeds the financial the CNN deal. When we got that deal, I said, we're gonna get another deal that meets or exceeds that one. So if any one of them ends, we just pivot.
Speaker 4: Black voices. If I had to say, five black prominent.
Speaker 3: Voices that have something to say, because consider your person has something to say, they can rally the truths, so to speak. What five voices would you say are compelling and can rally the troops in today's twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four Now, remember when we say black voices, Yes, you've got black voices that are with mainstream, and then you got black voices that are independent, so and that distinction is important. The reason it's hard for me to answer the question is because your question is extremely specific. When you say rally the troops. The problem is there are many folk who are in media who are not trying to rally the troops. They're just talking.
Speaker 4: Do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: They're just talking? Meaning your agenda has to be I'm trying I can just talk to people versus I'm trying to organize and mobilize people. There are people who call for a protest and they have a protest, but they do no data collection and so so for them, the protest is the event as opposed to the work after the protest. So when Reverend William Barbara and I are talking, the reason we vibe besides the fact that both of us are Alpha Alpha's, is beca because Reverend Barber is all about strategizing, mobilizing, organizing, So they don't just sit here and do a protest, and they get a whole bunch of prominent people talking. They have what they call affected people. So when they're talking about poor people, they gonna have a big name. But five poor people talking, so they want the voices of the of the poor folk are just as important, actually more important than this prominent black civil rights activist or a lawyer or whatever they had. And so that's why we vibe because the goal is different. And so part of the problem is what you're talking about is and look, we've just lost one of those people, Joe Madison. Joe Madison was one of those people who was like, I'm not just talking about stuff. I'm trying to move people. I'm trying to take this thing called mass media and reach the masses to move them to do something. And I think that that's what's so different. So Tom Jonas retired, Frank, you know, when I look at black radio, we're hurting because we got folks who just want to tell jokes all day, folks who just want to play with things all day. I think I think Ricky Smiley could really fill that void if he's given the freedom to do so. But the problem is he's constricted by bosses who control the show. Right dll is doing a very good job with his radio show and again moving talking about news and politics and trying to connect the dots. A person who I really I think I would say, a year from now. I really believe, and I think I think he's one of the smartest, most brilliant voices out there who has it. He hasn't been put in the right position, and now that he has his own thing, I think you're gonna see the develops. Uh Babonni Jones, m h. I think I think you're gonna see that. But again it goes to uh intent. Again, there are there are people with shows who do great content, who speak to issues, but your question is a totally different question. It really is a person who is by design trying to not just inform, but educate, inform, mobilized and organized, and that's what you do. Yes, yes, no, no, no, no, no, that's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. That's a that's a whole different thing. And I think that's the difference. And so somebody watching might go, I can't believe he mentioned this person that person, because that's not what they're trying to do.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Some folks are just talking about stuff and that's fine, But the question is are they trying to take that audience and move them here. We want you to show up here, we want you to sign up. We want you to get involved, want you to see that's so that's a whole different agenda, and I'm fine with that. Everybody has their lane. I say this all the time to people. Stephen A has a lane, Shennon Sharp has a lane, Robin Roberts has a lane. Again, BUTMANI has a lane. I mean, I know all these different people on Joey Reid has a lane. All people have different lanes. But what comes to is, what is your mission? What is your mission? Are you what is your mission? Why are you actually doing it? And for me, I don't want to do the mainstream type shows because I know what the mission is and that mission is not what their mission is. And we will be colliding the entire time.
Speaker 3: Cool Roland Martin. Wow, thank you brother. I pause because can I say you're special? Can I say you're making the difference out in this world?
Speaker 4: Man? And all joke aside.
Speaker 3: When I saw you at the at the honors man and and our you know you we both have seen each other's journey, you know, me being with Steve and I remember in twenty eighteen was trying to find that direction and you was talking about the digital games. I'm gonna do my own thing, and you said digital in twenty eighteen for your lunch, I said, go do your thing, and guess what You're controlling your thing, and you are now hashtag Roland Martin unfiltered digital daily shows streaming on the Blackstar Network is on podcast.
Speaker 4: They need it all because they may not see it all. Rod. Thank you again, brother for supporting HBCU. But I graded from PWI. You graduate in PWI. But we don'understand the value of HBCUs and what they bring the community. Absolutely might have been a compensations master class wek brother.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Brother, thanks a lot, Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts