Speaker 1: Someone told me that I need to chill out on the God content, and I was supposed too much God content, and that really did bother me.
Speaker 2: I remember puking, thinking I just turned down something. I feel like I let down everybody in the industry.
Speaker 3: Y'all need to rescue me from having to do my mother's hair in her saying al twenty four to seven, the fourteen year old is hungry, and she slammed the door in the eight year old's face. And when we get over here, I'm gonna not be gentle parenting. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to another episode of the Woman Evolved Podcast. I am your host, Sarah Jax Roberts, and how are you doing. First of all, I want to welcome you to March. Okay, it is Women's History Month, and women who have made history are my kind of gals. And what I love the most about Women's History Month is that we learn a lot about unsung heroes, but we also have a moment to reflect on the women who have made history in our lives. You know, it's so funny. I actually posted a video on TikTok of me sitting down. Well, actually I wasn't sitting down. My mother was sitting down and I was doing her hair, and I was treating her the way she treated me when I used to get my hair done. I don't even know. I'm gonna see if we can play the clip from the video. I hope this sounds not terrible.
Speaker 4: Now, did I ask you to be still?
Speaker 3: I asked you whole you sat down, if you was comfortable doing all that moving. Come on now, I'm just leave it how it is. Turn around so you can be comfortable. Now, is it supposed to look? Keep your head still? Be still about that moving? Okay?
Speaker 4: Then I ask you if you're I'm at the saline. I don't have to.
Speaker 3: Tell you, all right, I'm gonna leave it like this, all right, I'm gonna leave it like this.
Speaker 4: This is how you used to do.
Speaker 3: This is how old.
Speaker 4: My head. That's how you used to put the song. Why are you because there's one thing about them fable?
Speaker 3: No, it don't hurt oh.
Speaker 4: Okay, you are? You was actually hurting me though. This don't hurt you? Okay, wonder why I'm so thick headed? Now? You don't put on my hair.
Speaker 3: I have probably watched that video about eighteen thousand times. Don't ask me why, But I think it has something to do with me reliving my childhood. But with the roles being reversed, what does this have to do with women's history of mine? There is something powerful about us living out what we have seen demonstrated for us, and when we have representation, it's powerful. And when we don't, we have to feel our way around, or you know, search our way around to find someone who was doing something historical for us. I bet that if you look throughout all of your life and you think about the women who you have encountered, the women who stand out in your mind didn't just stand out in your mind because of them being normal. They stood out in your mind because they did something that left an impact on your life. That impact made you into the person you are today. Whether it was a teacher, a parent, a friend, an aunt, a cousin, some lady from church, your grandmother, they are a part of the fabric of who you are. And so for Women's History Months, I am celebrating all of the women who go the extra mile to say, you know what, I am going to show up in the fullness of who I am, and any chance that I have to impact another person, I will We're going to spend this episode talking about what it means to be a woman in power, what it means to be a woman who is making history. I believe that this is going to be encouraging for you no matter where you are on your journey. When we start talking about women who have been historical and who've had great impact and influence and talking about power, it can honestly be pretty intimidating. Why because we often see our area for growth, we often compare ourselves, or we're so busy trying to live up to other people's expectations that we mess out on an opportunity to really understand what does power look like for me? What do I want to do with the time that gifts and talents that God has given me? And how do I really ladies at the feet of Jesus in such a way that he tells me what to do with this hand that I've been dealt? Isn't that what we're all trying to figure out is like, what do I do with this hand that has been dealt? And sometimes the best way to do that is to shuffle the deck. I've got to mind your business question, And that's exactly what she has done. She is shuffling the deck and she's got a different set of cards, and the only reason why she was able to do this is because she created some boundaries. Let's listen into her question.
Speaker 5: Hi, my name mister me some I'm a recovering people pleaser. My question is what kind of advice would you give for someone that's recovering from people pleasing, like growing up just really having a hard time with saying no to people and then standing your ground or my thing is I always get attacked with the after effect, like feeling bad for saying no, or you know, feeling bad for whatever the label they put me on, like I'm selfish or whatever.
Speaker 3: For saying no?
Speaker 5: Like how could I push past that and move on?
Speaker 3: Who cannot relate to the guilt of being a people pleaser. In twenty twenty one, we had the Woman Evolved conference. We had Nedric Lover to wop there and she took a cure from the audience and someone asked her a very similar question like, Okay, I'm a recovering people pleaser. I'm starting to set boundaries and now I am wondering what do I do with the guilt that I feel afterwards? And then the consequences of creating boundaries, and the person basically said, how do I not feel guilty and needric lover to why she's got one of those names where you got to say the whole name. I hope that my name is like that, Like I hope that you have to say Sara Jax Roberts, like say the whole thing. But anyways, she basically said that guilt is an emotion and it will pass. It is unrealistic, and I think we do ourselves a huge disservice when we think to ourselves, I want to set boundaries. I don't want to be a people pleaser. I still want people to be happy with the boundaries that I said, and to applaud when I make these changes, because that means that they'll still be pleased with me making the decision that ultimately made me not want to be a people pleaser in the first place. It makes sense in my head. It's girl math, you know what I mean. But at the end of the day, I think it is unrealistic to expect the very people who benefit from our people pleasing tendencies to also be the people who applaud us when we make boundaries. Only a few people have the maturity to be able to say, Hey, thank you so much for creating a boundary that preserved yourself. I'm so proud of you for doing that, and I will adjust accordingly. I will say, though, my friend Courtney and I kind of have that going, but it's because we both have spent so much time in therapy that we can see when the other person is set a boundary, and as much as it may mean that you know we're not getting something that we wanted or needed from the other person, we're like, I'm so proud of you for setting boundaries. Look at you out here. Not people pleasing. I struggle with the concept of people pleasing, though. I think it is because when I was a teenager, I felt like I had disappointed so many people. When I got pregnant, but I was like, I'm not going to live to please use anyone anymore because I've already disappointed so many people. But I do believe that I internalize a people pleasing mentality in me wanting to perform well to reclaim a sense of acceptance, and then also feeling like I had no more space to make any more mistakes, and so I felt like I needed to please anyone who I encounter, to make sure they wouldn't leave me, wouldn't reject me, wouldn't abandon me. And as a result, I suffered a lot until I got to a place where I was like, listen, I'm not going to be able to please anyone, and I need to make some tough decisions that are going to shake up my life again. And in the process of doing that, what I learned is I can withstand the shaking that comes with me rebuilding my life. Maybe that's something that someone needs to hear. Who's listening to this right now. I told you before this started that there was a woman who sent in a question who was trying to figure out what to do with the hand that she's been dealt because she has reshuffled the deck. When you reach the deck, only you get to choose whether or not you're going to shake things up in your life, and you need to know that you can handle the shaking that comes with reshuffling the deck. But it is your choice, and a lot of us don't make that choice because we do not want to deal with the shaking, deal with the rejection, deal with the guilt trips. We tell ourselves that it would be so much easier if I just continue to do what makes everyone else happy, even if it means that I suffer. There's I don't know how large of the population has this philosophy, because there are some people who are like, listen, I'm gonna look out for myself. I'm gonna take care of myself because if I don't know, one else will. And to you, I say, where's your podcast? Because we want to listen to it. The rest of us are out here on this awkward journey of choosing to take up space and doing it in a way that honors our truth and hopefully preserves the relationships that we value. Part of the reason why people pleasing is honestly so addicting is because we do get a sense of belonging. We have a sense of identity. We need that sense of belonging and that sense of identity and that approval. And it feels good when you've been rejected. It feels good when you're afraid to fail to say that they're for someone to be on the other end, saying you're doing a good job at this, even if it means you're betraying yourself, and so to choose to no longer people please is to choose to be faithful to yourself. Obviously, we're going to be talking about power all this month, and I cannot tell you how excited I am about my book, Power Moves. Ignite your confidence and become a force. This book is so important to me because I started realizing a few years ago that we are inundated with the concept of pursuing power, and so many people who we admire who have great influence, we say, hey, those people are powerful. We're looking at their outward works saying that they're powerful, not recognizing that Before you can make a power move that people can see, you have to allow power to move inside of you. And in order for power to move inside of you, you have to be willing to examine where am I experiencing a power laws and a lot of us lose our power in people pleasing. Many of us lose our power in expectations of our community, our culture. Where have you lost your power? Was it shame? Was it an experience you had? If you can begin to identify where you lost your power, then we can reclaim that power from that scenario. So Power Moves It's all about recognizing that hey, what happened to you had power. We do not do ourselves any favors by pretending that the divorce didn't have power, that the betrayal didn't have power. Like you can be out here gasing yourself like it don't matter, it don't matter, it don't matter. But if you changed what you believe, you changed what you thought is possible, you changed how you see yourself, that thing had power. I oh, gosh, I wish I had my Bible on me. I'm recording this in my car. There's it's a long story. We're at a rental house and it's all the kids are here, and there's a lot of noise in the house. So I got in a car with this microphone. If I had my Bible, I have my But there's the service is terrible. Okay, So I will tell you though. There's a scripture. Y'all look at it. Read your whole Bible. You'll find it. But there is a scripture that talks about when Jesus gave the disciples authority and power and he you know, you've probably seen that on a tread over serpents to heal the sick, cleanse the lepers. He lists all of these things, and then he goes to have and over all of the power of the enemy. If you grew up in church, maybe that's not unfamiliar for you. But what's so intriguing to me is power. That word power is a Greek word that means dounamus, and we see it and acts when he gives the disciples power, and that same dunamus is the power that is used when he talks about the power of the enemy. When you try to act like the enemy didn't have any power, like unless you put Jesus power on top of it, unless you've healed, unless you've been restored, unless you've been redeemed, like that thing took a bite out your tail, You know what I mean. Like, sorry to break it to you, but it's okay to admit that, Like, hey, I need the power of Jesus over this area of my life so that I can be healed, so that I can be restored. Because if I don't have that, then that means the power of the enemy is going to run rampant in my life and my decision making and my purpose and my destiny and my relationships, and so power moves. It's all about reclaiming the power that has been stripped away from us and using the power of God to really trump that power. So power moves, you get to tell that thing you don't have power anymore. Pack up your bags, we out of here. It's an eviction. Notice around here, you no longer have power. And then I walk you through. Literally, once power moves in you, then power can move through you. And when power moves through you, it that's when you're shuffling the deck. Because when you're saying, I'm going to show up differently, and because I'm going to show up differently, it's going to change my relationships. And I'm not like a burn every bridge kind of girl, although some of them bridges do need a gasoline can and a lighter, and yeah, a lighter to them. I also recognize the listen. I'm married, I got six kids, I have four siblings, I have two parents, I have an incredible mother in law. I have a lot of relationships. And if I'm no longer going to be a people pleaser, these people are going to be impacted by me changing who I am. And I still I rock with them, you know what I mean? Like I do rock with them, And so how do you introduce your power into these new relationships? I walk you through that, and then we talk about becoming a force. I know you all didn't ask for a summer of the book, but the point is this. I believe that women have a greater tendency to people please because we have been awarded, we have been celebrated for people pleasing when we live up to the body stereotypes, when we live up to you know, probably in the fifties it was like being a fifties housewife, being barefoot and pregnant, in the seventies, maybe being a free sex spirit. Like when we live up to these different tropes men, we are considered someone who can embody power. Some of the celebrities who we see as powerful today are you know, it's questionable are they powerful? Are they not? Like can they sleep at night? Are they having relationship issues? Like, just because you're powerful doesn't mean that your soul has power in it. And so if we're going to be powerful in the earth, if we are going to be women who are historical in the impact that we leave on others, we have to be willing to let power move in us evolve. Now, I ask two of my friends I believe work with some of the most incredible people on the planet to join me on this podcast because they take pictures of women and in those pictures myself included. You know, we look powerful. Look maybe we look like we fit the bill, and yet they know, because they're behind the scenes, you know, what does power really look like? What doesn't it look like? And so I wanted to talk a little bit about the illusion, the image of power versus having the real deal power, And so I invited them to have a conversation with me about what it means to be powerful, how it shows up in our world. And then they let me mind their business a little bit as well. So I can't wait to share this impactful conversation with you. I hope you love it as much as I do. By the way, I was supposed to record this podcast, well this interview with them, my husband had an unexpected trip. He was to join me for this podcast. He had an unexpected trip, and so I tagged them in last minute. The only problem is they only had evening slots available. You know, I'm somebody's mama. Evening time is bedtime. You will not believe the struggle I had trying to make this conversation flow seamlessly. Ella was definitely ready for bed. She'd had a long day at her play rehearsal. Mackenzie was hungry. So there's literally, like so much stuff happening in this podcast, but we edited down so that you didn't hear the fifteen minutes of me trying a gentle hard parent. So if you notice that it feels a little like about halfway through, it is, and just pray for your strong friend. Okay, guys, I have a question for you. Who is the most powerful woman you know who doesn't realize how powerful she actually is.
Speaker 6: I think my wife.
Speaker 2: I think my wife is very, very powerful, and I don't think that she knows how powerful that she is.
Speaker 6: I think that what I'm able.
Speaker 2: To put and push and help other women with across the world is because of what she pours into me at home, and so it allows me to really, you know, go out across the world and help other women out. And I don't think she knows it at home, because she's so meek with it, Like she's so kind and so meek with it at home that I just don't think that she knows it.
Speaker 6: But hopefully she hears.
Speaker 3: This to do, Queen Queen Nicole, it's so funny. Oh, go ahead, live your life.
Speaker 1: No, I said, I would say my mom too. Honestly, she really is that girl, and I don't think she realizes it. Tell us about her my mom, Oh my god, she's just that girl. She's great. I mean, what do you want to know? Like, well she like her job is well?
Speaker 3: No, like what like you've seen her? Like what makes her that girl in your eyes?
Speaker 1: Because she really be changing lives? Like I think seeing her from like as a kid to now and how she really went and got it for us, like to change our world because we grew up very much, you know Section eight food stamps, and she didn't want that for us no more. So, like she went and you know, got a degree after degree. Now she got her on nonprofit bro her nonprofit like millions of dollars. You know what I'm saying. Like, she's that girl, and I don't think she realized that she's that girl.
Speaker 3: I have an interesting question because you all both deal a lot with women and their images, and so I am curious to know what does it look like when a woman knows that she's powered.
Speaker 2: It can be very dangerous sometimes it can be dangerous sometimes because I think you can. I think with all things, you can either utilize it in its best way or you can abuse it. And I think that what I have noticed over the years, I think when I first got started in the fashion world and started working with ladies, what I would see is that what I was giving them was vanity, Like I was pouring vanity into women, and so it would make them feel so powerful, and then you would these ladies would turn into like fashion beasts, and not like beast the mold, not like when we talk about now, but I mean, like they would become mean girls. And it was at one point where I realized, I'm like, I think that I'm turning girls into mean girls because I'm giving them straight vanity.
Speaker 6: Like it's it has nothing, it's has no substance.
Speaker 2: Behind what I'm doing, and it's just, you know, it's just it's it's vain, Like we can't get around the word vain. And I think that it can be abused at times, but I've also seen women that have utilized their power, you know, and.
Speaker 6: Most of the times, like you just said earlier, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think a lot of women even I don't know a woman that knows her power and speaks of her power. I don't think I've ever heard one say that she has power. I think that a woman who has power never really.
Speaker 6: Speaks of it. She just knows.
Speaker 2: She just loves what she does and it's just a part of who she is, and she knows that she's called to something bigger than her. I think that's the true definition of power to me, not necessarily knowing that you have power.
Speaker 3: I'm taking notes because I want to ask questions and now forget. But like, I am curious about this because I think that most women want to feel confident, they want to feel powerful. But I think part of the reason that I don't even lean into this notion of like being that girl is because I feel like the moment you start drinking your own kool aid, like you lose sight on what really matters. And so, you know what I mean, like because then you're like you see who you are instead of like who you can become, you know what I mean. I think there's something to be said about there always being a little bit of distance between like where you are and who you could become. So I honestly I think It's the reason why I wrote the book power Moves, Ignite your confidence and become a force. Like as powerful as that title is, it really is about like harnessing power in a way that doesn't alienate your people or like build up pride, because I think there is this like fine balance.
Speaker 2: There is a fine balance. I think you and I can think of the young lady's name of was on your podcast, were talking about how when you get to a certain place of therapy, you weaponize it.
Speaker 6: And I think that certain women that end up.
Speaker 2: Knowing that they're that girl, are they getting these powerful positions? Are they just start to they start tapping in on what they're capable of, and they can sometimes weaponize it.
Speaker 6: And I think that the.
Speaker 2: Humility, like Cindy was right, like you are, like you are that girl to us, but you're that girl to us because we've as long as I've ever known you, I've never heard you or seen you try to pull a power move, you know what I mean, Like I've never seen you try to pull a power move, like even behind the scenes, even with coming from childhood or coming from where you come from, like I always I've always seen you in such a humble state like I feel like you embody this uh this internal power because you tap into who you know God has called you to be, like you ain't trying to be nobody else, Like I think Cindy always Cidy always says that she's never sees you in business mode, and she she's all she's often wondering what you're like in business mode. I'm like, she's the same, She's the same person that she is wh she's talking to, talking to you as a friend or talking to you anytime.
Speaker 6: And I feel like.
Speaker 1: He said he'd be like he like.
Speaker 7: Or whatever, You're not gonna You're not gonna You're not gonna come in a.
Speaker 2: Show and just take take take like you have to be able to give something and and receive something. You gotta be able to take criticism. You gotta be able to give her realness like there's a gift. Like I feel like you're an all around and all around girl. That's my take on it. So I do think that you're the eg girl. But I think you're it girl because we get a chance to see you in your own world and you look, you clean, your workout, you you know, you cry.
Speaker 1: I've never seen her cry I've never seen you cry. I mean on stay, I mean on church.
Speaker 2: She.
Speaker 6: Cries. She cries.
Speaker 3: Well, as much as I have enjoyed us talking about me, Cindy, I would love to know, like, what has your confidence journey been?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: What? Yeah? We want to know?
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 6: What has it been like for you though? Because you have we have watched you grow.
Speaker 2: Okay, not even just over the years, but over the months, we've seen you grow. Yeah, I mean since like honestly, like a few weeks ago, things things happening like you literally you challenge yourself to grow like that's that takes confidence to do that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 3: What made you change?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I was tired of being the same.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I was gonna say. How would you define who you were before?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, childish? I was a people pleaser. It was real bad, real real bad. I don't know. I think, I don't know. It was all bad, I think, And I don't even know how to. I don't even know how to articulate who she was. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 3: Well, how'd you know it was bad? Like what happened that made you feel like? This is something I gotta.
Speaker 2: Change friendships people telling her the truth. Yeah, yeah, And I think that's I think that's a That's another way to work on your confidence is to have people around you that will tell you the truth and you take it and you try to grow from it and you do something about.
Speaker 6: It, versus like just staying in the same in the same.
Speaker 2: Place, because somebody could have told you the truth a month ago and you could have, you know, retaliated against it, Like, No, that's not who I am.
Speaker 6: You gotta accept me for who I am. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But I think I've seen I think we've seen you grow in your in your confidence even when you're in crowds. How do you take crowds now, Like when you're in a crowd of people and you feel and fly.
Speaker 1: I still don't like crowds. I don't think I've changed with crowds. I still don't like crowds.
Speaker 6: I think that you and Sarah are just alike with that.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that Sarah is not good at crowds either, So.
Speaker 3: Is count fol Why would you tell woman evolved with forty thousand of them that I don't like crowd I'm gonna keep it. Hein't gonna edit it. But just know I am who I am because of you all because I was never out there trying to be in the crowd. We outside. I guess that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I think I think you got to push it into the crowd, you know, with your with your calling and and it just it requires you to be with the crowd even when you want to.
Speaker 6: You are a loner. If you could be at home and.
Speaker 2: Cook and clean and play them kids all day long and play with PT all day long, that's all you would do, man, that's all you would do.
Speaker 6: How does it work for you getting out? Like?
Speaker 2: What do you what do you think you've grown with people? Like internal relationships, external relationships and being in public? How do you feel like you've grown over the past, Like how's your confidence? Because I know sometimes it's hard, Like you can struggle in a room, not necessarily just because like oh I don't want to be here around people because I don't like people. But sometimes it's something that we deal with internally, and sometimes it's confidence. I walk in a room sometimes I get this big, which is why I don't like going into those rooms. How do you deal with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I definitely prefer to be behind the scenes. And I think that part of the reason why I have had to come out of my shell is because God's assignment all my life has put me in a position that requires I think more about what is required for His power to work through me versus what makes me comfortable. And by like not being around crowds, it's not necessarily like that, I don't. I just don't like small talk, you know, walking into spaces where it feels like status is important, or like people you know, whether no matter where you are on the total pole, because as a fourteen year old teen mom, I'd walk into some rooms and they're like, hey, you can send in a corner, nobody wants to hear from you. But now I walk in and I am whoever I am, And a lot of times people want to talk to who they think I am, but they don't really want to get to know me. And so I think I do the best when people like Part of the reason why I do well with like woman evolved Me in Greece is because most of the time they come up to me and they're like, girl, your wig and like girl, what you said, and like that best friend in my head. Energy is good for me because it doesn't make me feel like I have to break through small talk. And so I do think that it speaks to how God will position you and environments that are uncomfortable, but they're not a drastic difference from what it will take for you to be the best version of yourself. Because if what I had to do, man, I walked into rooms like cold all of the time and I had to like speak up and find myself and advocate for myself, I think that I would not be very successful at that. So I think God was like, I am gonna make you go into the some rooms. You are going to be around people. You're gonna be very exposed and very visible, but I'm going to make sure that you feel a sense of safety in the community that I orchestrate to be around you. And so I think, I mean, it just goes into the reality that God takes into account all of who you are and then still calls you out of who you are. But he doesn't do it in a way that so good. It like, he doesn't do it in a way that requires you to be someone you're not, Like I can only be me. So when I'm speaking when I'm in a room, I can only be myself, and sometimes that's nervous, sometimes it's shy and like you can hear me trembling in my when I first speak, but like I obey and then God's powers.
Speaker 2: Anyway, rooms are ones that God has called you too, and you're just gonna be exposed and uncomfortable, versus the rooms that you just flat out Annoyd in.
Speaker 3: M Well, I mean anything. I know for sure that like I am called to whatever woman evolved is, so hold on a chout is that we're recording this at seven pm at night.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 3: It's a long story. But my children are home and the fourteen year old is hungry and she slammed the door in the eight year old's face. And when we get off in here, I'm gonna not be gentle parenting.
Speaker 6: That is hilarious. Can you tell me what's the what's their mom's name? The kids? What's their mom's name? Have we not they belong to you like their mom?
Speaker 3: Oh, don't want to refight you in front of a live audience. Don't get fought, you know, Jay, I differentiate, differentiate between the rooms that I'm called to be in versus the ones that I think are just you know, another opportunity by really asking, like what purpose will be fulfilled by me walking into this space? And is it God's purpose or someone else's purpose? Because sometimes we be asking like what's my purpose? And depending on who you ask, they will have an answer, because some people will be like, your purpose is to be my yes, ma'am. Your purpose is to make sure that I get everything I want. And so I recognize that anytime I walk into a room, I am fulfilling someone's purpose, and I have to qualify whether or not that purpose is God's purpose. And so there are some things that like I want to do, but I am not willing to step outside of God's purpose and even sometimes my comfort zone. So you know, like I got invited to the Time one hundred next gallon and I really wanted to go. Okay, I really I really wanted to go because okay, let's talk, We're gonna tied it all in together. Okay. So it was right before Woman evolved, and Woman Evolve was obviously bigger than it had ever been in the past, and it was like breaking records for step and so I was having this like, oh my gosh, God, I can't believe that you would allow this fourteen year old girl to experience this, that you would use me in this way. So that's kind of like my mindset leading up to it. Then I get this like you're being honored as time one hundred next thing, and I'm like, oh my gosh, should get And there's like this another layer layer of it, like these are all the things that if you felt like your power is in what you did, like would add like this shiny sticker to my name. And so I was mostly blown away by it. I get invited to the gallup. I'm like, I want to go. I want, like my fourteen year old girl to fully live in this moment and I want her to experience it. But they told me that I couldn't bring a plus one, which means that I was gonna fly to New York and go to a gallon and be in a room by myself, and I have social anxiety. At least I'm used to my man being with me because he can kind of like navigate the room, and I just like did not want to go out of my way to be uncomfortable. They weren't you know what I mean, Like I'm gonna pay my own way. I don't invest in my discomfort. God, if you're gonna call me out here, I'll go if you send me. But I'm like, God, I'm not preaching a message. Like we literally talking about me getting dressed up to be somewhere in a room, maybe meeting some people who are absolutely amazing. But I'll never know because all I'm going to do is sit in the corner and be like I was one of the people. Know, you know, But if I were called to preach somewhere, like we've gone into women's prisons and they were like, hey, it can only be you, Like, I will overcome that in a heartbeat because that is more important to me. That is more important to me than just being in a room to rub shoulders. So I think I qualify it based off of like, who's gonna who's going to get the purpose in the you know, glory out there?
Speaker 6: Great?
Speaker 2: That was great, like literally just figuring out because that's that's I think that's something a lot of people battle with, is knowing what rooms that they're called to and uh, and they're meant to stay in and you're meant to be uncomfortable, you know what I mean? Like and God's doing something in that room. You just got to sit there and wait and not even know what that thing is.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Can we talk about turning down big opportunities though, because there are some people who think that they will become powerful by like, however many rooms I can get in, However many opportunities, I need to take advantage of them. I don't want to miss my moment. So I'm gonna go to everything. I'm gonna look the part, even if I don't have the money, because like, I am chasing power down and I think when we do that, obviously there are a lot of room for air. There's a lot of room for air. But like, how do you qualify when opportunities are in front of you that look powerful, that could change your financial situation, that could change your status, or maybe you're working with someone, how do you qualify whether or like, how have you maybe turned down opportunities that other people would like die for this? How do you do that?
Speaker 6: Why I have a story to tell my God?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't have a story, but I just be like no, I just say no, and I don't care at all because I'm not I'm not that girl. I don't chase. I don't chase a bag like that. You know what I'm saying, Like, I'm never pressed. It was never that serious to me, never gave take everything, you know.
Speaker 6: I do like that about you. I think that and I friendship.
Speaker 2: I have si that you always say you and I are completely different because I'm always on the go and I'm like, like, you're always working, and that's not what I want to do. I don't want to always I don't want to always work. But there are things that there are things that I that I liked that I work for, and I love that you were like, I want to be at a certain level when I'm there, I'm comfortable and I'm good. I haven't reached that level to know where I'm actually like comfortable at. So I had this one opportunity where I was like, I was working with this crazy, amazing superstar and everybody kept saying that it was so amazing, right like when you want to start, it's a stylish dream to work with this person. And so I had the opportunity to work with them. And when I was working with them, this was this was maybe three years ago, and I started doing some work and they wanted they wanted me to come in and do create direction for their brand, and it would require me to move everything that I had just kind of gotten started it on the ground here in Dallas, which is my own office, my own team, and I just started to kind of cultivate things. And then they were like, we're attracted to what you have, but we don't want it in Dallas. We want you to uproot it and bring it to Los Angeles. And I'm like, okay, that sounds pretty good, so let me try to get everybody involved I possibly can, from you know, CPA's to attorneys to everybody, to really figure out if I can really do it. So they say we want you. I say, okay, cool, I'm coming. I'm going to come, but I want to make sure that the numbers are right. The numbers were never right. And we went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, and to the point where I was just like, you know what, forget it. I don't want to do it because if they can't pay me my worth, I don't want to be there. I turned it into a worth thing more than it was, more than it was anything, because that would help me to turn it down easier, because a person devaluing my worth. So that was my way of making that excuse to myself. And so later they came back and said, we're going to meet your number. Well, now I got to put my big boy drawers on because it's like, okay, you're going to mean my number. So I mean, now I have to really show up.
Speaker 6: Yo.
Speaker 2: I called one of my friends and I said, I don't know what to do. And I said, I have this I have this opportunity coming up, and I don't know. I don't know if I should take it or not. Something that just didn't feel right about taking it. Well, I had a dream, and the dream was that I sat down. And I sat down, and I was sitting in a chair and there was a oven sitting in front of me. I was sitting on a lazy board couch and there was an oven across the room in front of me, and I was cooking chocolate chip cookies in the oven.
Speaker 6: Follow me, okay, don't judge, follow me, I mean big.
Speaker 2: So I'm literally I'm on this couch and this lady passes by and she says, oh my god, I want some of your cookies that you're baking, and can I have one, and I said, yes, but it's going to take a minute before they're done. I sit on the couch and as I'm waiting, there was an event above my head, and that then above my head, I could see a reflection behind me of a big snake that was forcing itself, shaking, trying to bite the top of my head.
Speaker 6: And I literally woke up from the dream.
Speaker 2: And when I woke up from the dream, the revelation that I had the next day is that, well, the next day.
Speaker 6: I ended up turning the job down.
Speaker 2: I felt sick as a dog, and I said, this had the dream had to have been about this. And one day, two days later, the entire world shut down.
Speaker 6: So the actual the actual facility.
Speaker 2: That they had that I was gonna do creative direction over shut down and fired everybody. So I would have uprooted everything to move to Los Angeles, thinking that this is gonna be and would have been stuffing and just would have been moving on my own, chasing the bag, chasing opportunity and chasing the chasing the fame, honestly, because it's just cool to be known to be working in that particular position. And so revelation was is that that snake was the opportunity that was trying to take my head off, and in the reality, the cookies that were baking was a product that I was able to build, and I had women that were patient enough that wanted what I had to offer that didn't require me to move it all. So that's the reason why I was sitting in a lazy boy and I was watching the cookies bake, and it took time for me to grow.
Speaker 6: They were willing to grow with me.
Speaker 2: So that's my story of how I literally turned down the opportunity and was.
Speaker 6: Sick as a dog.
Speaker 2: I literally I remember puking, thinking I just turned down something, and I felt like I let down everybody in the industry that was in my position that wanted my position to say, you're turning this down, Like, why would you turn something down like that when everybody wants to be there? And so that was my moment I turned it down. I felt my most free turning that position away, and now not having to chase a bag, I can say no to other things now comfortably.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Wow. You know I played dominoes and we have this like all money ain't good money, it's very much so given that like all power ain't good power.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's I think what's wild is the amount of people that tell me they want to be in my position, They want to do what I'm doing, they would love to have you know, one person that work with and I'm just like why, like not why? But I don't think. I don't think people realize they don't give what people are thinking good. You know what I'm saying. It's like you're chasing the wrong thing. It never give.
Speaker 2: I think that though, because it looks it looks like what it's not. It looks like something else. So when you're chasing a bad.
Speaker 1: I got into this on accident. I feel like God, just on accident. Yeah no, no, I'm so serious. And I think I don't know. I was never attached to it like that ever heard. I never wanted to be a celebrity. Nothing.
Speaker 3: I think my biggest thing right now is like trying to not lose that original like lack of intention now that I have to be intentional, if that makes sense. So like I didn't get into you know, I did not start Woman Evolve on purpose. I've never been the girl who was like one day I'm gonna have a women's ministry. I've always been this like off to myself kind of girl. So when it became clear that like something was happening, it's very easy to have your purpose hijacked by other people's purposes. And people underestimate that when God gives you a purpose, that you also have to do the work of that purpose because it is easily hijacked and it gets hijacked by other people's opportunities. It gets hijacked by other people's motives and what you will allow or won't allow. And so I think my hardest task is making sure that like things remain pure, that I don't start taking ownership of something that I didn't even start where I'm like I did this, I built this, I got this, or start like inviting people into an environment that is so potent when pure that it becomes you know, pretend or performance because I started losing my vision on what it was supposed to be. Well, I hope that that conversation was as enjoyable. We get a lot of kicking going on in our group message, so I hope we didn't annoy you too much, but I hope that you guys some really good nuggets from the conversation I am still mayoring this idea that the women who are the most powerful don't feel powerful at all, and the women who think they're powerful are not powerful at least not in the way that they think they are. What is that? And how do we get to a place where we can really own who we are? But with humility, I want to say that I am really living in that space. I feel more confident in who I am than I have ever felt, and it doesn't feel prideful at all, because I also feel so confident that I'm raggedy broken, that I need Jesus, and that when Jesus and our partner, that amazing things happen, and that I'm funny and I'm not the some results of my mistakes, and that my accolades don't define me either. Like I really feel like I'm finding this sweet spot of confidence that doesn't require me to stay locked into anyone's box. I believe that that is a direct result of just truly radically embracing authenticity. And when we radically embrace authenticity, we have no choice but to become powerful. You all have to pre order my book Power Moves. It's going to serve you so well and I can't believe I'm saying that I was nervous about it. I wrote the book and then you know how I'm preaching. I'm like, I don't know if this makes any sense about I'm gonna give it to you. Anyway. I got to read the book for the audio book just last week. I think it was it was last week because I recorded the interview after doing the audiobook and the kids were acting crazy. But anyway, reading through the book, it helped me to realize that there's some really good nuggets in here, and if just one or two of these resonate with women, it's going to really serve them in a season where they are becoming So you guys, download the book. I am going to continue to unpack what it means to be powerful, how do we tap into with how we embrace it. I'm going to continue to ask some people who I admire to join me as we dive into this discussion of becoming powerful. How do we do it? How do we shed the skin of our past? How do we embrace the possibilities of our present? How do we trust that our destiny is not going anywhere without us? What's that? Pastor Phil, Pastor Phil Monsey says that all the time. If you are at one, you probably have heard it a million times. That is what I'm looking forward to unpacking, and I cannot wait and rescue we haven't tried in a couple weeks. Y'all need to rescue my mother. No, y'all need to rescue me from having to do my mother's hair and her saying al twenty four to seven, y'all need to rest. Y'all need to rescue gentle parenting again, or hard parenting or something, because at the end of the day, I parented her like she parented me when she was coming my haarent and she didn't enjoy it. Maybe she wants the gentle parent after all. Maybe her ways are changing. I don't know, y'all. I'm gonna ask the podcast team. I'm gonna be honest as I am recording this at a rental in the car. We may actually have some rescue eves, but I'm sitting in the car with very limited access to Wi Fi just so that I can get you this podcast, so we will see all right, I love you guys. I will see you next week. It's gonna be so much more professional. It's gonna be amazing. You're gonna be blown away. It's gonna be fantastic, it's gonna be powerful, it's gonna beautiful, God, Holy Spirit, Jesus. When I say a Father, we need you, Jesus, please walk with us, and Holy Spirit fell us, I mean that from the bottom of my soul. Each and every day comes with a new set of circumstances and situations, and sometimes we feel powerful, and sometimes we feel so weak that it doesn't feel like power is available to us at all. But then at the very mention of your name, dem means tremble, So we say, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus over her mind, Jesus over her heart, Jesus over her finances, Jesus over her health, Jesus over her children, Jesus over her grief. Jesus, we need you, we love you. We're so grateful we don't have to do life on our own. Please, please, my friend, tight help her to fill your presence and to never fill alone. In your name, I pray Amen, I'll see you next week.