Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club Morning, everybody is j n V Jess hilarious, Schela mean the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the buildings. Indeed TI tribute. Welcome brother, Thanks having me.
Speaker 1: What's up y'all? Y'all?
Speaker 2: Congratulations They just won a Grammy twenty twenty four Grammy for this gospel album.
Speaker 1: So congratulations. Yeah, three in total. Man, I'm so hype about that and excited. You know, Uh, it wasn't needed, but it's it's appreciated.
Speaker 3: Do you pray for stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Noah? I used to. Okay, Okay, I used to, but I had to get my you know, uh, the reason why I do what I do. I had to get that in order. I had to you know, yeah, intention exactly. Last year I was nominated for two Grammys, and I just knew I was gonna walk away with at least one. And when I walked away with none, it was like a soul check for me, Like, all right, well, why do you do what you do? Bro? You gotta just just kind of re evaluate all of that stuff. So I kind of like stopped needing it or stop wanting it. So bad and stopped so ambitiously going for it just to the reason why I do what I do, have fun doing it. Bless the people, show love, give him Christ and uh this year when I walked away with it, Yo, we literally sat like in the back. Because the Gospels, they don't present the gospel on the on the grammy, we got the pre warn they could do. It was like nine o'clock in the morning, you know what I'm saying. I had to wake up on early. And we went to the pre show and it's open seating there, so you can see anywhere you want. So my manager like, YO, come on, let's let's go to the front. Bro. I'm like, nah, man, I'm just gonna sit back here. We're gonna take an l I don't like that long walk of shame. It's too far, so let's just stay close to the exit. So we was in the back chill, and I got it all on video and they called on everybody's name. Of course when they call my name, I was like what because I was really content. I had to learn really just to be content, because you know, being overly ambitious is rob your gratitude. Then you just get on and feel like going down that rabbit hole, so you have to take that long walk up to the stage. I had to take that. I was running like, oh my goodness, trying to figure out what I'm gonna say on the way because I literally didn't respect to win, but you know I was gonna beat. Had to show them how to be a good, sore loser in christ.
Speaker 4: But I'm just proud of you every time you nominated. Thirteen nomination is that crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So even without winning the awards, I'm like, you're recognized like by so many to be nominated thirteen times.
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 1: True, I love that. After a while, you just get used to I should start celebrating the nominations, you know what I.
Speaker 5: Mean, because it's a lot of people that don't make it there either exactly or.
Speaker 1: You just pile up the l Yeah thirteen but I lost them.
Speaker 4: No, yeah albums. Your work touched a lot of souls.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, you know.
Speaker 4: To me, I love that.
Speaker 1: I love doing what I do and why I do it. You know what I'm saying. People leave my shows, they're not just turned up, but they got hope, you know what I mean. They got inspiration, you know what I mean? And they're healing and all of that's taking place. So I love what I do and why I do it. Man, it's a blessing.
Speaker 3: And you're from Camden, Camden, New Jersey, bro and you lived there your whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Florida, then Houston for a year in Florida. Okay, yeah, so growing up in Can then you know, well, if you don't know, y'all should know here. You know New York, y'all know about Can.
Speaker 3: Now to ask God why?
Speaker 1: So many days I have got why? But I had to. I had to get it in the trenches. I had to learn in the gun how to. I had to learn how to be in the valley before you be in the mountain. You know what I'm saying. So so I can know what it is to struggle, so I can know what it is to be impoverished. So I can know what it is you know what I mean to be underprivileged. So when it happened for me, I could reach back and say, hey, this is how you do it, This is how you come up and help others.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I think it takes people like you, because when I see somebody like you have the success that they have from Camden, you really don't hear a lot of good things about Cam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real, this murder capital of the world sometime, or the most violent city. I remember those stats growing up, like, hey, Cam's on the map. We in the newspaper for what, oh most violent city? You know what I mean. That's not in Baltimore. Probably not too different. No shade to Baltimore. Love, I love, yeah, everybody you know coming up coming out of that, you know, I'm glad I had like the little family church. We had, little fifty member family church that we had just kept us ground and kept us focused. And I was just like tunnel vision the whole time, and slowly but surely I just saw myself not like my surroundings. Now, that was a challenge in itself, because you don't know you're different until you know you different, And then you know you got family to deal with and friends to deal with who are like, oh, don't change on us, d da da da. But bro, if I don't change, I can't help you, you know what I'm saying. So that was a challenge for me at a very young age, knowing I can now when I was talented, knowing I could play, knowing I could do music and knowing it was what's the word extraordinary, It wasn't just normal. So that change was a challenge, but you know, I'm glad that all things work together were good.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: With being a gospel singer, do you feel like it's a lot of pressure on you where it's almost like people look at your life differently right, Like it's almost like they want you to be perfect. Did you have a hard time dealing with that?
Speaker 1: Dealt with that before I became a gospel artist. So speaking of growing up in this small church, my grandmother was the pastor. First, my dad was on the organ. I'm watching him every Sunday, like, oh my god, this guy is amazing. I start playing. Then he became the pastor. So I got that pressure as a PK the perfection, all of that, all of that. I got all of that pressures as a young kid, like twelve nine when I was. Since I was, since I've been born, spotlight has been on me to be the poster child for what Christ is. I'm like, yo, the worst why pressure though?
Speaker 3: Because of the damn too much hand comes leads the rebellion.
Speaker 1: Man, you know, what I mean that legalism and that religious structure. It leads to like, yo, I'm not cut out for this. I didn't sign up for this. Y'all sign up for this, and the expectation is too much for me. Yo, So I just rebel. People go completely opposite of the ways that their parents bring them up when you bring them up too strict. I came up the same way. I had the pressure of perfection and I tried to live up to it until my parents got a divorce and I'm like, WHOA. In my day that was like, you know, it's normal now every day, it happens every day. Back then, it was like a culture shock for me. It shattered my whole world. I was like, bump the church. Then, what I'm doing there? Why am I being fable to God in it? Man? My dad? I'm out, you know what I'm saying. That's when I went to all the clubs, did all that stuff. I didn't dance though, I just played at all the clubs. I didn't, you know, I still didn random smoked. I just went and played the keyboard at all the club for like music soul Child Jill Scott. Everybody in the Philadelphia area of the roots and all that stuff. So I'm in there playing hymns to the beasts. They don't even know what I'm doing. But I kind of had my little rebellious moment during that time, just to find out who I am outside of y'all expectations. Man, I said, of who y'all saying God is to me, let me find them for myself. Let me figure out who you're for myself. And it's been the most liberating thing. And I've been walking in that since.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a journey, and that's a formal liberation every human has to experience in their life. You and you should like strive to feel that.
Speaker 1: No literally, whether you're religious or a church or not. Just the family, just family bond, you know what I mean. Bloods all of that family can bind you. Bro Family can keep you stuck in a level that you never supposed to be in for the rest of your life. People who love you can bind you through their care, through their love, through their expectations, through manipulation, through emotional manipulation. It's a whole lot of things that keep us from being who we're supposed to be in this earth because of other people's expectations and demand. So I'm all about freedom, man. My My whole life is freedom. My whole mantra is about freedom. So when you when you you know, contact me or hear my music, people think it's energy. I like to call it the spirit of freedom, man, liberating everybody, and you need that. When you don't know you bound, that's the worst. When you don't know you're bound, that is the worst. When you become used to being manipulated, used to being controlled, used to being used. You can either be used or loved. You can't be both. You could either be used or love. And a lot of people are being used and not realizing they're not experiencing true love man. So they just just get used to being used, like all right, I'll do this for you, I'll come through for you, I'll do it whenever you call me, I'm there. And they think that's that's love. But a lot of them are being used.
Speaker 3: Did a lot of those triggers resurface in your marriage when you separated?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah. Well me and my wife separated. It was it was it was bad, yo, it was. It was very very bad for me because I didn't think my whole thing when my father messed up with my dad, I'm like, I ain't never gonna be like him. I'm never gonna do that. No, no, no, So I went the pride way. So my heart just really was like, you know what I mean, I got more exposure than he ever got. I got more notiot than he ever got. And I'm still ain't gonna do what he did. I'm still letting that pride comes before a fall. And I fell hard and I moved to La. My wife was in Jersey. We just separated. I ain't think we will ever, you know, get back together again. I was just out there working on me. She was out there. She was out there working on her, not really trying to get the marriage back together. And I think when you try to do that too soon, sometimes you damage you know, you damage it because you just your point is just to try to get them get back together, but not work on you, because you still got stuff you got to work I still have stuff I had to work on. I still had weaknesses I had to work on. And so I'm out there working on me. She's working on her. I'm praying, she's praying, and God kind of just brought our hearts back together. But through that whole time, I realized my mortality, I realized my humanism, I realized my weaknesses. I realized who I was for real, Like this religious perspective. I became that like like now I'm a pastor, right, But I don't say I'm a pastor. I'm just I'm just a child of God with the asignment. You understand what I'm saying. I'm a child of God who got something to say to a certain group of people. I don't become my assignment. You understand what I'm saying. But that's the world today. If I were to meet you in the street, the first thing I'll say is what do you do? Not who are you? You understand what I'm saying. And I think we lose who we are and what we do. And that's what I did. I got lost in all of that and I forgot who I was.
Speaker 3: Now. I read that you you you battled with deep depression during that time. Yeah, contmpleted suicide. What got you out of that?
Speaker 1: Literally, what got me out of suicide initially was just people. It was just people around me too much. I couldn't get by myself. It was just always Literally it wasn't my prayer life. It wasn't the Holy Goos, it was Pep, it was physical people around me. Ty you good time you want to eat TI. I'm like, cause y'all just leaves like a pop these pillscause, y'all just leaves like to try to do all this stuff. But depression is a deep, deep, deep dark spirit, man, And I'm glad that I had people around me to help me get through that season. Man. Just all those thoughts and all those suggestions that come to us, man, and we feel like it's us. I love that I call them. I call them well. I had a little series that I called Ghostbusters, right, so, because there's other ghosts besides the Holy ghosts. And if you don't differentiate what ghosts is speaking to you, bro, you could be lost in that whole rabbit hole of depression, suicide, stress, all of these things. My issue is we let all these ghosts talk to us, and we do what they say, and we take on the moves and the and the and the attitudes of all these voices that are speaking to us. Therapy helps, counseling helps, but ultimately the spirit of God is the only one that could really you know, deliver us and rescue us from that man. And I had I had that. I had that, but I was there, and I couldn't believe I was there. I love my life, I love my wife. I love I thought I was I thought I was good. But then when tragedy hits you and you just can't take it and you just feel like you have no other option. It was really the embarrassment. It was really the pride of everybody know who I am. It really wasn't life was so hard. It was how I saw myself and how I thought I was. So when you just drop who you are, like yo, when you just just just kill who you think you are, man, just be nothing. The Bible says, uh uh, he who seeks to save his life will lose it. But if you lose your life, you'll gain it. So I lost the celebrity side of me. I lost the God's artists. I lost I like, forget being the father, forget being a husband, forget all these things I think I am. I'm just I'm just tired right now. And then that's when salvation begin to come, because.
Speaker 5: You really are bigger than your image, and it was all in the image that you were living in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's not that's not social media today. You are your image today. You understand what I'm saying. You are, you are who you post today.
Speaker 5: So that's why it's also a lot of suicide out of a lot of depression, a lot more than we see it.
Speaker 1: You know how challenging it is it to be to be on social media? You understand what I'm saying. I know some people who will never be beyond the camera without they lashes on, or who will never get on there without certain things. So how challenging is it to be your authentic self on social media? I don't think or onto the world. I don't think people are ready to bear that nakedness, you know what I'm saying. But it's gonna take somebody who's understaning to be like, hey, this is me and love me or leave me and just run the risk of that. But I don't think people are ready for that.
Speaker 4: I did that early.
Speaker 5: I got a little it's a little ponytail.
Speaker 1: It's still going around you trying to get it off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm trying get it off now, but I'm like, yo, that's that's when I first started, and it was out there they put T shirt put it on T shirts and everything.
Speaker 4: Like, Jess, it was a lot of I sold out, but I was like, you know what this know you down.
Speaker 1: But that's what I loved about you, Jess. That's what I love you.
Speaker 3: Understand what I'm saying, Jeff, don't give them right right?
Speaker 1: Would you do it? Though? You you admire that, but would you do it? Would you do it.
Speaker 3: If I had the ponty that you would?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: There's a picture's a picture of Charlamagne with here and look kind of like it starts back here.
Speaker 1: But you never posted that. I got to see that.
Speaker 3: I think you and your whole situation is just a testament to the glory of God. You, you and your wife together.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, she's right here, right behind me. Man. She survived the car.
Speaker 3: Y'all been through a.
Speaker 1: Lot, a whole a whole, a whole lot. It seemed like a series of unfortunate events, you know what I'm saying. And her life, I mean, it's just it just it just starts from I'm gonna say it starts from birth. Everybody's life starts from but with the with growing up with parents like I had, and she was basically fatherless, for a long period of time. You grow up with a whole lot of unmet needs. You know what I mean. You have needs as a child that you should have met that you don't have met. Security, protection, encouragement, validation, all of these things. We we affection. We have to grow up without that, right, So now we got to make the choice of either like living without it or killing the desire period. So now we commit what we call, my man Tim Fletcher calls sole suicide. So you commit sole suicide because as a child of three year old, I need affection. I don't know I need it, but naturally I need it. And if I don't get it, I just killed the desire for it. So now I'm in a relationship and I don't know how to be affection you understand what I'm saying. Or I got kids and I don't know how to show that because I've been killed that. So now we're trying to like restore those things and trying to do it in the context of marriage. I married her at eighteen. I was twenty one, So that's a that's a kid. Those are kids when I look at them ages now I'm like, man, it was a kid, that little really little kid.
Speaker 3: We huh, how long y'all been together?
Speaker 1: Twenty eight? Now? Yeah, that twenty eight years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife twenty six over being his wife thirty on?
Speaker 1: Congrass bro. So y'all know what I'm talking about. Listen.
Speaker 3: I relate to your story so much, even when you talk about how you know what you saw in your father and not wanting to be like that, yeah, and then finding out that you became just like that later. Do you understand?
Speaker 1: Do you understand? Man? That's like a that's like a that's like a it's like a shock to your whole to your whole system.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You got to do a whole lot of rewiring man. And my thing is, I think a lot of people know they need help. Where they go to get help is just as important as knowing you need help. So you know what I mean. So therapists and all that stuff, I think that I think that's all is great. But I like to go to the source. I like to go to the creator, and I believe God is the creative of all of us. If you don't turn to God, man, you'll get a bandon, you'll get medicated. But the real healing is in Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: I believe in God and therapy me too too, and plant based medicine and healing and meditation.
Speaker 1: And I can't with you, but I feel I am mad at you. Bro. I ain't hear the judge at all. But you know, I just feel like when something else becomes your source, something else is your source, you know what I mean. And that's the scary part to me. I don't want another thing besides God to be my source. Everything could be a resource. And if God leads me to that, fine, But if I just choose it, I could damage myself and my life and what I want and desire to do or be in life.
Speaker 2: But what do you think about some of the It seems like for a while, maybe the last ten years, it seems like being a pastor was cool, right, So it was like.
Speaker 1: Like everybody wanted to be a rapper, everybody wanted to be a podcast host. At least, like a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people wanted to be a pastor for the wrong reasons. Yeah, how do you feel about.
Speaker 1: That you missed that pastor? Or remember the past you know, man, it was building them huge churches, everybody was. I think the pastor phenomenon came from oh Man, getting money, there's a bunch of different things.
Speaker 3: You can speak to them more.
Speaker 5: But I think getting money in the church and how you look and how you're praised is and you forget that he's supposed to be praised, but he praise you and all that type of stuff.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I see a lot of Instagram paces out there, but you know it is you.
Speaker 1: You killed that whole thing. I think a lot of pastors were not called the pastor. They just you know, study, you go to school and then you just become a pastor, like you become a manager at you know, publics or something like that. And that's that's unfortunate for a lot of people who invest their you know, money, time, attention, and their soul into people who they believe are literally called from God. I don't believe a lot of pastors are. I think I think it's a system. Now on God, It's a system. Everything is a system, and systems work with or without God. So I think the institution of church is whack. I think how church is ran is whack. I think the religious system and structure is whack. I don't subscribe to it, even though I grew up in it, I benefited from it. But I learned that God is not the church. And once I realized whoa God? Ain't church for me? You know what I mean? I ain't from the streets. I'm from the church. So that was a huge thing as well.
Speaker 3: It's in the Bibles say you can't even find God in the man made.
Speaker 1: Why don't we read that?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: How often do you hear that sermon?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You hear people pastors make the people about the church. We got the church name we Church and the church and the bumper stick of the church.
Speaker 6: The church should be about the people. The church should be about the people. But the church makes the people about the church. So all churches now are a movement, but they're not about the people. They're not about serving and loving the people.
Speaker 1: So I just kind of pulled that. We online right now. We're not even in the building, a physical building or nothing like that. So Live Church, shout out to Live Church. I love y'all so much, Live Church, Orlando. We're online right now. And because we had an issue with a building, and now I'm like, hold up, what's going on here? Like do we need a bit like you understand what I'm saying, Like in order to do what we need to do affect people, serve and love and minister. I'm just looking at everything differently at this point because the church structure has really I mean, there's a lot of people who won't even go to church. Honestly, when the last time y'all been to church?
Speaker 3: I go every Sunday on TV and go bedside Baptist. Oh yeah, I like watching Potter's House online.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, wait to.
Speaker 4: Jump down here through and be like, no, you don't.
Speaker 1: Every Sunday. But why not?
Speaker 3: Honestly, is because it's not too many churches that speak to my spirit. I really do like what they do in the Potter's House. I think there's a lot of annoying in that church from Bishop td Jake's Jake Roberts the Truth to tore. So even when I'm in Dallas, if I'm now on like you go today, I'll stay just to go on like.
Speaker 1: This you physically go, oh absolutely, what about you?
Speaker 2: For me, it's I used to hate going to church as a kid, right because Baptist Church is staying there for or five hours, especially if somebody's getting baptized, you got to dress up.
Speaker 4: So it made me.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily love it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And I noticed that with my kids when I took him to church, it became mature.
Speaker 1: I gotta get dressed. I got this.
Speaker 2: But now on Sunday morning, we can cook breakfast together, sit down on the couch and watch it and it's comfortable. They gotta get dressed. They ain't got mammy an gotta do the kids here. Yeah, they ain't got to make sure things are right because they got to sit there. Now, it's not that at all. It's all about the church, which I prefer. So yeah, we go online, you know what I mean. And I don't have to just stick to one church. You know, as a kid growing up in New York, we always had to go to Brooklyn, the Grandma's church.
Speaker 1: There was no option. It was let me try something else.
Speaker 2: Now on TV one day, I can turn dollar next day, I can next day, and I can get different feelings and my kids can as well.
Speaker 1: So I prefer that as well too.
Speaker 3: Why I was, he was going to ask me.
Speaker 5: I was, so yeah, So I still have I still belong to my home church in Baltimore City, Restoration Christian Coclegia Church. And I'm not in Baltimore on Sundays anymore.
Speaker 4: You know, just I have to be here. I gotta wake up three forty five in the morning.
Speaker 5: But even before that, I was doing shows Thursday through Sunday, so I wasn't able to go. And if I just try more, I can definitely get on the road to come up here after a church because church is from ten to twelve, ten to one sometimes.
Speaker 4: But I still pay my times, you know what I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Still give all.
Speaker 4: Friend, my mom's a deacon. I grew up in that church.
Speaker 5: It was called Holy Church of Christ when I was younger, and my son has been Christian in that church. And my my baby that I'm having now will go and get Christian. I'm never I don't want to go to another church now. I will listen to a sermon from someone else like I listen to Sarah Jakes, you know I will, and different podcasts as well. But I just my my reason is simply just an excuse. I just don't go to church because I travel.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get that. What do y'all look for when you go to a church? What do y'all? What do y'all look for? Like you said, everyone, don't don't touch your soul, don't minister to your spirit.
Speaker 3: It's not about what I look for, It's about what I feel got it. It's a feeling, you know what I mean, Like you just I know what you mean, would just speak to your soul.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think, sorry, Jake's right now, Man's used to me all the time, you know what. I just want to listen to her podcast. So I just think some people have an annoying on them for the moment that we are in, and just like her father had it and still has it, you know, of course for the current moment that we're in.
Speaker 5: And then another thing. So growing up in a church where you know, I'm so used to that back in the day like Manson's, I don't want to go to a big, big, big church because the pastor don't know me. I'm used to going to talk to the past pastor after church, going to get that individual preyer, going to show him what I'm struggling with and all that. As a teenager, I was going through a lot of things, you know what I mean. So I would be able to go and talk to my uncle he is the bishop, like go and talk to him and stuff like that. But I've gone to churches where, you know, the pastor don't even know you, and he's not even.
Speaker 4: Tripping off getting to know nobody.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just come and he do his thing. They sing a whole album before he started dis sermon. Yeah, yes, right, you shout. I see people shouting. I see you know all of that, And that's what I'm used to be.
Speaker 4: He's not cut. I started coming from that and then absolutely no wood.
Speaker 3: I started going to church till later got you growing for that whole going around knocking on the doors.
Speaker 1: How you doing? How you know? That's what I'm talking about. That's what I'm talking time of that.
Speaker 5: But you got time to walk down every block and going hand in the hamplets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and too early y'all come to he came around noon'll be so yeah, this is the personal.
Speaker 5: Personal has been lost, you know what I mean. And then it becomes to the point where the the like I said, the pastor feel like he's got Yeah, that's churches.
Speaker 1: And and that's what I met by churches is whacking, because I know I went on realig whack whack wacking church probably like you just at my church last week. I don't mean that, I mean I mean that stuff right there and what has become I have found it. I have found it. I think I said the right challenging to know everyone in my church though, I found it. I found it challenging. I try to be personal. I try to I stay after church and just I stand at whoever want to come to me, they can talk to me. I don't got the eighty security guards and all that, right I standing, They can talk to me. But it's a challenge to know everybody in the church.
Speaker 4: And that's a big that's because a bigger it's a bigger, bigger.
Speaker 2: But your new families though, like like my church, they knew the Casey family and parents, they knew the Johnson's and it is one of that one new family.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah overall, and that means something that that that means a lot to people. But what if you didn't get that, does that mean that's not the church for you? Because Moses led millions of people. I doubt he knew you know what I mean, John Qubbos, whatever his name was, I doubt I doubt he knew everyone, but he was still their leader. So I try to look at it from a lot of perspectives. You know what I mean, and make sure people are coming for the right reason and make sure or the pastor is there for.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. Right, So, growing up in Queen's I went to Catholic school. Right, my zone school is the worst. So my parents was making me go to Catholic school. I wasn't going to Andrew Jackson. But I noticed in Catholic school as a kid, Catholic schools.
Speaker 1: Thirty thirty minutes, maybe thirty five. You are out of there.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, didn't gone, I'm back home. Baptist church is three hours, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So we want to say but it's the point.
Speaker 2: As a kid, you know, you you feel like I get everything I needed in this thirty minutes. I don't need this in three and a half hours. I always wonder like why is the church so long? Because you know, you got announcements, then you get passed it. You're gonna pass it around twice, and then since then so and so got to talk about.
Speaker 4: And if you don't give up on the first off, we almost.
Speaker 1: Almost they double back, you know what I mean. And I think that's part of it why it's so long. Yeah, I think churches have changed since then. I don't think churches is three hours like that anymore. I mean not she I think it's like nothing I've seen she going in. I've seen church tructures like ninety minutes. You know what I'm saying. They try to be more mindful of that. And the more you know, current churches and stuff like that, they try to do, they try to cut that down a little bit. But I think the reason is people just have a lot of expression. Man, they got a lot of They got a lot to say, they got a lot to get out. You understand I'm saying. I hated the law churches. I grew up Pentecostal Pentecostal church. What three hours? That's it. We're just getting right, yo. Three When you said three hours, like what, man, we just getting started. We had nothing else to do. Why you had no social media? Sundays was for God. So we was gonna stay all Sunday. So after the five hours center back, after the five hour service service, come on, you better stay for that second we got people coming. I hated that, but I'm so glad it was like that for me as a remember young you understand what I'm saying. I'm so glad. It was like that for me because it just kept me from a whole lot. You like Michael Willis, Yeah, Chris rock a lot and uh, I don't know who Michael k Willi soon.
Speaker 3: You got a similar energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never met him, very energetic. I never met him. Maybe we need to hook up with something like that. Oh yeah, he dad, he done. Oh I don't know. Okay, I guess I can. I guess I can. I guess I can't. Don't give, don't get, don't give me the dog the other day, I'm sorry, I didn't know. I don't know. I'm trying to cut him on. He's met brom y'all will connect one day if you believe you again.
Speaker 3: Done is true that you worked on justin Timberlakes Crime.
Speaker 1: River, Yeah, I worked on I was. We was in the Root Studio again, growing up in the Philly Camden, Philly area. We did our first album at the at the Root Studio. Crazy how we got signed to. Vivian Green is like an R and B soul artist, And she was doing the showcase for Tommy Mottola and Donnie Ironer and the Matt Sony and she said, tie, you know I was like her cousin at the time. We were real close. Tie. I want you to m D my show case. I know, even asked me this. I'm just taking on you know, you know, I want you to MD my showcase. I said, all right, Bet, I got a little couple of people from the choir, a couple of people from the band. We just put together a little show for viv So, speaking of energy and all that, we in there with Tommy Mattola and Donnie Iron and all these people at Columbia, and I'm just a young you know, I'm just playing. I'm I'm like this all the time. If I'm playing, I'm like this, you know what I mean. Everything is energetic. So they like, we love Vivian Green, we're gonna sign her to Columbia, and we're gonna sign this guy right here. Who's that? And it was like, oh, no, no, no, no, that's that's a that's a gospel guy. You know, he does choir and stuff like that. We're signing Vivian and we're signing the gospel guy.
Speaker 3: I was like, what.
Speaker 1: Within ninety days we had a contract at our crib from Columbia Records. No demo, black and white, no, no profile picture, no nothing, and we got signed to Columbia. Uh nah, she got her deal. I got my deal. So my first album came out under Columbia Records called Life because because of that that moment right there, I'm like, well, God is really real, you know what I mean. I mean, you could say being in the right place at the right time, but I believe in the favor of God. And so we're doing our album in the Root studio. James Poyser shout out. James Poyser was a producer on that. He's with the Roots. Now you're seing on Jimmy Fallon every night and uh in the Root studio they had the plant based you know stuff going on every single day. Ge he was in there. We was in there getting contact, you'll try to sing the praises of the Lord and just being in that environment. Then the Roots is like, oh, you know, why don't you do this such as us coming to the studio, such as us coming to the studio, such and such. We just became the choir for like everybody who came. So we're on Jessica Simpsons Christmas album and we're on uh so many albums as background singers. So Timberland came through and we just caught a vibe Timberland. We were just in there, just vibing. Tim just put a beat on it. We were just in there playing. I love working with Tim. Tim. We could ever do that again, bro, Yeah, please, let's look that up. So we was in there vibing the crimea River. He said, I got this Humble Justice. So I'm in there like, okay, dude and dud dude. So that's me playing that literally on the world it sir, that's literally literally me. And then the backgrounds on there and me and my girl Marshall from Flower Tree did the background. Yeah, ain't she amazing? Yo, shout out Marsha, I love you girl.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: We did the backgrounds to that. And so just when it came out and we listened to it and it's everywhere since seventy eleven and said why were like, oh my, that's us, that's us. Shut up boy, now to be twenty dollars you know what I mean. I'm like, wait, yes, that's give me at did you get pay for it the right way? Oh damn, I got two thousand dollars for the past o. Man, you don't do the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you cried you a river, that's all you got that Murphy dollars for river.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got two thousand dollars for that, But you played I played it with this song.
Speaker 3: That's what everybody knows.
Speaker 4: That's when what you hear.
Speaker 1: That's what you look for before anybody else. They don't take care of the past him. It was, it was, it was, it was. Yeah, But you know, I didn't know the business at the time, and I was so hyped to get two thousand dollars. I didn't know what to do. Y'all think got treated everybody to a fry at McDonald's. Everybody, you understand what I'm saying. So I was just so hyped, but I didn't know the business then, So I don't got no hard feelings about Yeah. Yeah, you can go check it out. Go check out the credit. Check the credits, Go check the credit.
Speaker 5: You know what you give it Chris Rock, Yes, go check the credit. Show Yeah, it's definitely I see it now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that now did a whole lot, the whole What is that? What did you do with usher? I'ven know what, I don't think, I mean, says toured with us, I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you work, you gotta be specific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what you do? What I should hold up in the church for a second, we might have been on the same program. I didn't do anything. We didn't do you know. I love to be usher man. That's that's the homie. Yes, come on, don't be with the right don't don't right now?
Speaker 5: Every day with the niggas yo every day, So I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: It's a lot. That's a lot to go because you don't never know what they go.
Speaker 3: You got to tell you congratulations. Let me get you out of here. You're get in some trouble.
Speaker 1: Last year Reunion tour was was last year. It was amazing. I did All Things New tour and in the spring and then I did the Reunion Tour in the fall winter. It was it was an amazing, dude that with Kirk and h Clark, sisters, Israel, David and Tambla man, that was incredible my first arena tour. Never did that before, so I'm like to hear the songs with all them people. It was just it was it was surreal. So we're doing it again this year. I'm going out May June on the only one night though tour, only one night though. That's my new single that's out only one night though, and the tour is going May June. I'm telling y'all, I have uh a second win of some sort. I don't have a second, third, or fourth whatever, but I have this, this momentum behind me right now, and I am so excited to get out there and do this music. I got new music coming, book, coming podcasts, all this stuff is coming, you know, off the hinges of the Grammy. And it's just a good season for me right now. Yes, I want everybody to come what he's great man record on quick.
Speaker 4: Let me just say this, So what you did for me growing up is to your music. You you didn't make it.
Speaker 1: You like you.
Speaker 5: You and Kirk Franklin was the first two men that did not make listening in the gospel boring, yo, because like me, growing up with a deaconess as a mom, and you know, my daddy was a little bit more lenient, you know, but we had to go to church and a little bit playing to what he was saying, like we had to. I had to get the stiff ponytail with the bullyball, you know. He wasn't really long, so when I moved it didn't you know.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I don't want.
Speaker 5: To go here, you know. And I had the little church socks and all that, the ones that Jermaine the Free had on at the You know, I will always do that, you know, like you when when my mom would put you on, she would put she will put you on just so we can get excited to go to church. Wow, So that is really something crazy. You and Kirk Franklin, y'all the only two my mom be like, all right, all right, and then she knew how to play some other people when we were going too much. So I was like, I don't want to listen to much then, but but to get us in the mood to go to church, Tripp and Kirk Franklin, that's what.
Speaker 3: That's what I love about you or the song you remember the.
Speaker 1: No way I can't even then You're going to the animal, I know, you know, not what you say strike them down heart.
Speaker 4: That strike him down a lord.
Speaker 1: Do you think people have my times?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 1: But do you think people have a problem with God?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, I mean.
Speaker 1: Most people I know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My whole life has been God fearing but see, I think that I think that you have to show improve that through actions, you know what I'm saying. I think it's one thing to say, oh, I believe in God, I love God. But do you really try to at least scribe to move the way God would want you to move.
Speaker 1: I think that's the difficult Okay. So it's not the it's not the it's not the it's not the belief. It's the behavior.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think, yeah, sometimes it's the behavior of the messenger.
Speaker 1: What you mean.
Speaker 2: Somebody will say I have an assignment, right like you said, I have an assignment. And maybe your assignment is to help Jess in her situation and her problems, and maybe you do, but then you as a person, it's not coming from the perspective of somebody giving assignment, you see what I'm saying. So let's say, if you're here to help Jess in her life and whatever it may be, but you know you cheating on your wife with Charlamagne.
Speaker 1: It's it's I look at it as that's example, but.
Speaker 5: I just look at it as it's not gonna be the thing.
Speaker 2: But I look at it as you're giving assignment. But the person giving assignment is not living the life that But that's what a little bit that's what makes me hard to see because you're giving the excitement, but you're not living, right.
Speaker 1: It's like, are you really giving it? Nobody around Jesus living that's all about to say, like your's your teacher living algebra? Like you know what I'm saying, Can somebody get can somebody give you information that will help you? That's still flawed? Right? But sometimes it's like it is that information true?
Speaker 2: If you're out there selling crack every night, giving crack TI you, you might be felty and saving me, but then you're killing a hundred others. It's like, is this coming from God? Or is that coming from a negative evil?
Speaker 1: The devil? You know what I'm saying. So it's kind of I got you hard to trust it, operate and trust it.
Speaker 3: But that's a decernment coming in exactly.
Speaker 1: So you need the spirit as well, you know what I'm saying. That's what I think. So when I say how you feel about God? I was going to ask how you feel about all of that? You said you're too growing for the holy cost? But playing I know what you're saying.
Speaker 4: In some people, some people do they.
Speaker 1: Get most, do most most most and seeing.
Speaker 3: Them harlem shake, I'm like making you harlem shaking.
Speaker 1: I cut it out. Man embrace. I think most embrace the culture of church, but not the Christ of them, you know, not Christ. So I think that's that's the issue as well. I think when you when you try to move without the spirit of God, not just the word of God, but the spirit of God. This is this is where personal relationship comes in. When you try to move or live your life without the spirit of God. That is your God, that is your direction. Holy goes to the Bible said, the Holy Spirit comes to lead and to guide us into all truth. So there's a lot of wisdom and truth that we forfeit by not being led by the Spirit of God, by being led by Google, by being led by other things like that. Even a therapist, I will add, the Bible says, add to your faith, knowledge, but add to your faith. I think we let knowledge replace our faith, we let counsel replace our faith. Every new information you get as a believer should add to your faith, and that comes through the discernment and knowing the Spirit of God. So take the time to develop that relationship with God like this sounds crazy, but Lord, all right, let me pray. You know what I mean, whatever it is, take that time to develop. It's your protection, you know what I mean, from the wolves in sheep's clothing. It's your protection from wrong relationships and dating the wrong person. God knows all, He knows the person you're dealing with. He knows the thoughts and the intents of and the motives of the people you're dealing with. So the Holy Spirit is a cheat cold to help us deal with life, to right to make the right business decisions, to make the right decisions for our children, because this child is different from this one. I can't do that on my own. So when you allow the Holy Spirit to be elite and your God, I mean, your way will be prosperous. The Bible says so, and you'll be protected because everybody is for themselves in this world. And there as much evil in darkness as you know, as you said, even in clergy collars. Yo, And I'm tired of it. My wife and I are going to work on I think a podcast or something called Flipping Tables, just to kind of like not to expose nobody, nothing like that, but like, hey, y'all, you know what I'm saying. This is choreography. Praise is not it. You know what I'm saying. We want people to get relationship and not religion. Man, So if anything I'll leave y'all, it will be that, please please please take a prayer. Oh prayer? Okay, but you want to prayer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm you ain't worrying about what we did twenty four hours ago.
Speaker 5: Wow, because a cigarette outside.
Speaker 1: You want to ask that, you want to ask where I was last night before you received my prayer?
Speaker 4: You can pray for me in the corner.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I guess that is important because we never saw presidents or we never saw Obama or his family partying. Yeah, because he had to be the president, you know what I'm saying. I'm saying so it's very important as the leaders what your image is to the people. But part of it to me, I don't know. Maybe because I'm.
Speaker 3: Always found God in the most unlikely places.
Speaker 1: What you mean by that?
Speaker 3: Because he's a in the most I'm just saying I understand what n be saying. But I think sometimes you will miss a message from God because you appearance or not the messenger, you know. Yeah, And sometimes that's who God is working through.
Speaker 1: That's what they did with Jesus. They was like, who this guy that ain't the Savior, That's not him. They missed the Savior of the world still to this day because of how he was presented. So, but I think you have to know him to see him and things. You can see him in the most unlikely places because you know him. Well.
Speaker 3: If you know God and you, you'll recognize them and everybody else exactly.
Speaker 1: I can see him in movies, comic but I can see him on his wall. I can see anywhere because I know him. So nothing from without can defile you. Always was taking. You can't go to clubs or when we grew up, you couldn't go to nothing. We couldn't go to movies, we couldn't go bowling, we couldn't play basketball because there was this drinks, there is that and that. Whatever. I can say, what's wrong with bowling? Jesus shut out? I got it. I didn't know. I just saw but he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: But I had to learn nothing from without can defile you. If it's in you, it's in you. If you ratchet, you don't need music to that. You know what I'm saying, It only exposes what's allready in you. So we got to change and challenge what's in us. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I got one last question because you made me think, let's do this conversation me and just had when they had the New Year's Eve thing and they did the swag surf in the church.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for having me. Man appreciate it very much.
Speaker 5: Clowned out, tell them what you're thought, tell them passed what you're throwing up here.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was anything wrong with it because my whole thing was they doing it outside the church anyway, you know what I mean. So if you're having a and it wasn't like it was a regular church service, it was new partying, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you think?
Speaker 4: Lot of plans were very much sorry about that.
Speaker 1: But you said all of them were clown everybody.
Speaker 5: Was clowns because that was the explicit version being played, just like I said Charlamagne, and I'm like, no, I didn't grow up like that in church. Like it's just certain things you don't play with. You can swag and surf one day. Even if he disagreed, I don't get Yeah, I still think that it was clowned dollar.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, and that the lyrics was like, yeah, I couldn't believe.
Speaker 5: I was hearing that all day, but yeah, I got patron on my yah, girl got a bad behind me and a friend by right.
Speaker 1: But they didn't explicit I think that was a mistake in production or something like that. I don't think that was intentional.
Speaker 4: I think it was very much intentional because you think it was.
Speaker 3: It was the youth, a little youth, you faster.
Speaker 4: And yes, and was like, you know what, I'm gonna just play this by mistake on purpose.
Speaker 2: But if it was the clean version, was a clean version, you'd have been okay with it. You can swag surfing church, but why does that have to be to the song. We can swag surf to It's harums. So we can swag surf to the Kirk Franklin and the little baby you on that. We can swag surf to something. We can swag surf the silence. We made it into another year. Go to the club after you get out. God bless you here, all right.
Speaker 1: Do what you do so how you feel about just the instrumental that's cool. You can put whatever words on top of it you want, but you like the lyrics and everything and there. I didn't have a problem with it, man, because you know they're gonna listen to it anyway outside and it's just a dirty version.
Speaker 3: In my mind, I'm like, whoever was in that church that night is coming back, and to me that's more important.
Speaker 1: If she was in that church, she wouldn't come back. I definitely wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Even I don't write in the middle.
Speaker 1: I think the church I'm the wildest, craziest I'm with every day, I swaged whatever. I still think that the church should have something a sacred.
Speaker 5: Like what they met people will they don't take that and they run with that though I'm not with that.
Speaker 1: Nobody, no nobody met. If Jesus met somebody where they were, he literally went to them, like when they come to church, they meeting you where you are.
Speaker 3: For the club, that is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: You say that, I'm saying that they should be across the street from the trip club so that when they come out, not inside club. I have been to a strip club, I am yeah, yeah, you have. I have been to club.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a birth what birthday was? And I'm forty eight. Now I just wanted. It was one of them New Years when I was like, forget the church, I'm going, I'm going there. I did not enjoy. I went one time in my entire lit to pray over the girls. I didn't pray over them, No, I didn't. I didn't pray. I prayed over myself more than anything. Yeah, like I did.
Speaker 3: Huh why did you like it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, for real?
Speaker 3: Your wife?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, how I didn't enjoy. I didn't enjoy. I have never talked about this in my life, I said, people who know before I have. I didn't enjoy the performers. What state was it? Florida? Should have went to Atlanta. No Florida, you mean Florida crazy would do especially in Miami. Yeah. So I didn't enjoy. I didn't enjoy the performers, and I was like, this is why I don't belonger. Yeah, booby trap wasn't went back then. It's okay. Professionally, I think I think God was like, you got it out of your good little private moment and you strang. So this is what you wanted, did you? I'm like, man, this is not four and five that night all God knew what he was doing. I never I never ever desired to go back. Ever. It was horrible, bro, it was horrible. Man. Can you pray for the stupid show? First of all, thank y'all for being like cultural leaders.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate what y'all do for for for the culture. It's amazing what y'all do here. Thank you for keeping it positive and you crazy. Y'all all crazy, but that's who we are, and we're not a shame to who we are. Let's pray for a minute. Thank you, Okay, Father God, I thank you for this opportunity to just to pray over these blessed people in this show. I pray now, God that you just continue to be our guide and our lead. There are so many needs just in this room, and so many needs of people that are listening. We can't solve every need. We don't know every need, but you promise to supply every need. So I pray from emotions to finances, to mental health, to physical health to relational security, I pray that you just supply every need. Once we're in scarcity and we need, we get desperate and we do things that's not even in our character. So may we never be insecure, and may we never lack anything. And when we never fear, perfect love, cast out all fear. Fill us with your perfect love today, and we won't fear anything. We won't fear the enemy, we won't feel the way of the world. We won't fear anything because we are loved by you. Let everybody know for a masurrety that they are loved, crazy and all baselating in all not. Whatever whatever state we're in, it does not disqualify us from your everlasting love. So embrace us with that today. In the name of Jesus. Bless everyone, Blessed Charlamagne, bless Envy, blessed Jess. Bless this show. God. Let it be a beacon of light and a beacon of hope to everyone who listens. Let me put a smile on people's face, put joy in their heart and happiness in their day. I thank you for the opportunity to pray over this, and I pray in Jesus' name that it prospers in Jesus' name. Amen, Hey, I love y'all so much. Man, wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club