Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha stuff.
Speaker 2: I never told you production of iHeartRadio, and today we are doing an episode that was originally a Monday Mini but it just got too big about everything that's going on. Are some specific things that are going on, excuse me, with abortion in the United States recently in reproductive rights in the United States, and a lot of it is changing very rapidly. So today, as we record this, the day is March fifth, twenty twenty four. I did write a lot of this about a week ago because again I thought this was going to be a Monday Mini, but I updated it today.
Speaker 3: So is today sleeper Tuesday? Does that mean things?
Speaker 1: Does mean things? Oh?
Speaker 3: Dear? Apparently get donuts. But I think it's really important that I remember this voting season, y'all, and this this should impass. I think most of our listeners already are on point, but just a reminder.
Speaker 2: This shows why it's so important because a lot of this happened because Trump appointed judges that did what he said.
Speaker 1: They were going to do.
Speaker 2: He's pretty much out ban abortion. So YEAP voting does matter. As frustrating as it can be to hear that quick content warning, there's going to be nothing to in depth but mentions of rape and suicide. Also, this is a very US focused episode, but we would love to hear what is going on in the US and around the world, because you know, we're focusing kind of on something pretty specific here, but there's a there's a lot of ground that we have been meaning to talk about and haven't. Yeah, it's because of just scheduling and stuff. So just let us know what's going on for you where you are. And also, this is a primer since it was originally going to be a mini There's a lot more we could go into with all of this, because originally I wanted to talk about the Comstock Act, but it just became difficult to separate that from everything else that's going on and why we need to talk about the Comstock Act. Okay, So, as many of you probably heard, in February twenty twenty four, the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos count as children essentially, Therefore, if they are destroyed for whatever reason, people can be tried for wrongful death of this embryo. This decision obviously has huge ramifications, and it is part of a larger push for so called fetal personhood.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that title just oh my god. Yeah, it's so ridiculous that you can't help, but like just scoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's been a lot of like you know, in the darkest this dark time, there's been a lot of like those that mean I can ride the carpool like a lot.
Speaker 3: Videos have been pretty priceless of like treating little little embryo slash peachtree dishes as as children.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, but states are going forward with this. Fourteen states have introduced fetal personhood pushes or laws, and at least two have been enacted. After this decision, Alabama's fertility clinics were sent into absolute chaos. Like legally, no one was sure what was going on here. The decision did use a lot of Western Christian religious language, which is no surprise. Companies have already stopped shipping frozen embryos and multiple places have stopped all IVF services after this. And just a reminder, all kinds of things might cause someone to seek out IVF, including infertility caused by cancer or a bunch of other stuff, which I think is getting left out a lot of some conversations, but really it shouldn't matter that should just be available to people. The case was brought after some frozen embryos were dropped and the potential parents in question alleged that it constituted wrongful death. Essentially, the parents in question had stopped pursuing IVF, but they wanted their embryos to stay frozen. The patients somehow got into the freezer, touched something and got like freezer burned and knocked over some embryos.
Speaker 1: And so the.
Speaker 2: Parents' parents in this question were suing for wrongful death because of that.
Speaker 3: Oh, so they themselves over because they're not going to be able to get the service at all. Yeah, Oh, they didn't.
Speaker 1: They get through a lot of people didn't think things through.
Speaker 3: Which I feel like should be the tagline for any of these flaws, just saying they didn't think this through. No, even people haven't warned them, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, yes, Well, and then it was so unpopular after this happened, and people were freaking out rightfully so about what it meant that even Trump denounced it. A bunch of other Republicans did too, but these were like Trump appointed judges that made the decision. Amy Cony Barrett is on record supporting an organization that agreed that embryo's constituted his people, so again appointed by Trump. And the sad fact is almost every Republican supports IVF for certain reasons. But they allowed for this to happen and voted for this, like they created the situation with their extremist anti abortionarytoric, like they the environment they've been cultivating allowed for this. And one of the big issues, other than stripping people's rights is just again, legally, how does this look? Because yeah, that means there's a whole freezer of children, I guess, And this means that people have to pay to store them forever.
Speaker 3: Like, so what happens if I are not viable?
Speaker 1: We have to you have to keep them so even.
Speaker 3: Though they can never actually successfully be Yes, true fetuses like just women are all going to be like we're all about to be arrested.
Speaker 2: I mean yes, because you and I were when we were discussing this. We were talking about which we'll talk about a bit more in a second. There's already this push about using contraceptives is killing children. This could be applied to so many other things. And yes, from what I understand, at least, how the law is now, which they are trying to change because they're all panicking again. Didn't think it through that even if you can't, you just can't throw away a frozen embryo, it doesn't matter whatever the case. So that means that, yes, you have to pay for the storage forever like it will pass on to the kids like actual living kids around their kids, And they don't have an answer for what happens if the entire family line dies out. If like that means the government has to pay for them. Yes, there have been a lot of viral clips of conservatives who championed this ruling realizing in real time when they are saying that they want more kids that A, I guess you have them already a frozen embryos count and that be This directly negatively impacts IVF for people who are actively trying for and desperately want kids. So that's awful, But that is only one piece of the damage here. There are genetic tests that could be affected to some providers will probably stop engaging in IVF altogether because there is a risk of damaging embryos in the process. And we are now talking about a level of control and extremism that reveals that, yeah, they don't know what they're talking about, Like we've already known this, but this is very clear. But apparently they're still realizing it, and they they are with the ones enabling this, and they'll never change their tune because that's just the problem with American politics, Like especially for conservatives who have like held hands with so many dangerous sex to get power, even if their stances are largely unpopular, right like, even if this is largely unpopular.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm wondering because we've talked about it in our Surrogacy episode a little bit, but a lot of these clinics are money makers, Like this is, yeah, this is gonna hit some businesses pretty hard. I can't imagine as pro capitalists, pro money, pro corporation, that most of these are publics are that they're not going to get some real big like pushback. Yeah the money they're taking away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we definitely are going to talk about another example of that that is happening. So I mean, don't get me wrong, they are scrambling right now, but they're trying to like they're they're trying to walk this fine line of like, oh well IVF for you know, heterosexual couples only for them, because then that's good.
Speaker 1: But otherwise no, But then.
Speaker 2: What about the embryo though, because now you said they're all people, they're all children. Yeah, all right, So one thing is IVF, yes, is very expensive for people who are seeking it out and really shouldn't paused unless that is what the patients want, like, but if you want it to succeed, then it should be paused, which is what is happening right for people in Alabama.
Speaker 3: Right as from MSNBC, they say as a result of IVF, there are as many as one point five million frozen embryos in the country. The Alabama decision might mean that some of these embryos need to remain frozen forever, at least until someone uses them. Otherwise, anyone who destroys the embryos or even uses them for research could face claims for wrongful death and be liable for millions of dollars in damage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and infertility impacts about fifteen percent of US couples, So that's that's pretty big. As I said, infertility is not the only reason people use IVF, but that's still a pretty big number. And yes, I have as I said, I did see a bunch of quote like lighter questions of this ruling, like if embryos count as dependence now, like it just so many impacts that clearly we're not considered.
Speaker 3: So I mean, at what point can they be charged? Can people be charged with abandonment? And it's never going to be men? So right then? Also it kind of says men are useless because we can't even have children.
Speaker 1: That's true, so men for I'm sure that was not what they wanted.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm going to take away from it. That's the that's the highlight.
Speaker 2: Well, as we've been mentioning, there has been a really big pushback to this, including measures proposed to protect IVF and Alabama like this is ongoing right now, including one that would quote provides civil and criminal immunity to persons providing goods and services related to in vitro fertilization except acts or emission that are intentional and not arising from or related to IVF services, But it does not correct the fundamental underlying problem of fetal personhood. I guess there's states are following suit with this, including Florida, but Florida's Paul's theirs. After what happened in Alabama, and it's really showcased just how tenuous access to reproductive rights have been after the overturning of Roe v. Wade, which is what we were scared of, which is what we were saying. This is part of that, and now we are seeing something else, and it is the return of the Comstock Acts. Yes, which I just remember today. A villain in one of my favorite video games is named Comstock and he's kind of like this, and now I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, probablyless purposeful, probably was, probably was.
Speaker 1: The world he created was very bad. I should tell you something. He should be right up there together. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: So, Yes, one of the chilling implications of this and of this conversation and conservative push that has been going on for a while around productive rights concerns the abortion pill and the Comstock Acts, which some ultra conservatives believe bans abortion on a federal level already. So what is the Comstock Act. It is a nineteenth century anti vice law that has now become the center of an anti abortion push to ban the mailing of abortion pills like mifipristone, which is currently used in about half of all abortions in the US. It was passed in eighteen seventy three and was named after a deeply religious anti vice crusader, Anthony Comstock, who was reportedly a serial masturbador and definitely a racist, homophobic, misogynist, And it was designed to prevent the mailing of contraceptives quote obscene, lewde, lascivious, indecent, filthy or vile article, matter, thing, device, or substance, and any quote instrument, substance, drug, medicine, or thing that could aid in an abortion, which was expounded on in nineteen oh nine.
Speaker 3: Right, I feel like this is one of those the calls coming from inside the house, Joyce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, okay.
Speaker 3: So Comstock believed that the mere existence of these things, and even nudity and art was behind all of society's ills. Again, he seems to be flaming victims because he yes, never mind and his own perceived shortcomings. Yes, so they made me sin. He had been quote horrified by the amount of porn and alcohol he saw his fellow soldiers consume. As a Union soldier, so he wanted it all band to sanitize America. But even at that time he was seen as extreme. This was the Victorian era. Just as a reminder, they even had a word to make fun of his intense views, Comstockery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just to reiterate even at that time they thought he was much.
Speaker 3: Serial masturbator, which they probably witnessed. Let's just be real clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this term consackery was first popularized by George Bernard Shaw, and it was sort of used by a lot of Europeans to mock what they saw is American backwardness and puritanical nature. So it was at first it was like, what are those Americans doing with their comstockery? But then people start to use it in the US too.
Speaker 3: So that's I wonder if he has family. I hope they are ashamed. Oh no, I'm sorry. I don't want but I don't know them. They're sure, they're nice people, but I'm wondering they're like, why the did he have to do this? And now our names? Yeah, like caught up in this anyway. So Comstock wrote in his book Traps for the Young quote, the most infamous scoundrel may send the violens matter to the purest boy or girl. And this is being done systematically, Oh dear.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was allegedly largely influenced by the death of his mother and childbirth, but he had no knowledge of women's bodies, reproductive health, medicine, etc. Uh So yeah. Also of note, given some of his previous quotes, not that I think we should be putting too much stock in Comstock, but he actually wouldn't have been opposed to legal abortion. It was the quote back alley heavy quotes abortions he wanted to stop.
Speaker 3: When he won abortions because if childbirth was the reason she died, right, not having a child.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure he did write about it, So I like, again, he was not against abortion person at large, just what he viewed as.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, heavy quotes back after abortion.
Speaker 3: But however, he was against the women's suffrage movement, surprise, surprise. And this was a time when a lot of things around gender rolls in the US were in flux. Women pressing for the fight to vote, fighting marital rape and drunkenness with temperance, seeking financial rights, all things that scared people like Comstock when it came to the stability of the family right.
Speaker 2: Another big factor in this was that generally speaking, abortion was legal in the US until quote quickening are when the pregnant person could feel a fetus move, which was around four or five months. Prior to that, it was generally accepted that pregnant folks could make their own decision, usually involving a midwife who was a woman. This didn't sit well with typically male physicians who wanted that money, so they wanted to drive women out of their profession and consolidate their business make more money. Another was another fact is that Anglo Saxon women white women weren't having as many babies, so you get Comstock coming out of the woods, like, whoa, that's my impression of Comstock, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, that didn't stop Comstock from convincing Congress with a collection of quote obscene items and materials that he called his Chamber of Horrors to pass the COMPS Acts, and he was granted the role of special Agent at the US Post Office so that he could monitor the mail legally. Thousands were prosecuted, subject to fines, jail time, or labor. It could be for something like a letter that you sent to your spouse. Some died by suicide and one hundred and sixty tons of literature was confiscated and destroyed. This was something he bragged about before he died. In nineteen fifteen of notes towards like obscenity were not defined and left to people like Comstock to determine. Which is great, That's just great.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is a similar story to what's happening with the Florida governor. Like he's having to backtrack a little bit, and this is his legend because he's the one that's doing the same nonsense today. You know what I'm saying, Like Desantas is doing like we got to make sure we were protecting our children. There's so many obscenities, and now he's having to back up. We're like, well, wha what It didn't mean this much. I'm just kidding because he knows he's about to be placed in history at this level.
Speaker 2: Right, right, I mean I hope so. But Comstart seemed real proud of it.
Speaker 3: Right. Maybe he's learning, but but h.
Speaker 2: In eighteen seventy eight, Comstock had Madame Restell, a well known abortion provider, arrested. She died by suicide, and to do all this he worked with the police and the YMCA, which formed the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice in part in order to enforce this act and their logo literally features some man burning books.
Speaker 3: Again, I feel like that could be also representation. So in nineteen fifteen, reproductive rights activist Mary where Dennett was charged with violating the Comstock Act after distributing pamphlets about sex education, even though she included this quote. At present, unfortunately, it is against the law to give people information as to how to manage their sex relations so that no baby will be created. This was overturned in a historic landmark free speech case. Kind of good.
Speaker 2: I want to come back to that because I was surprised. I thought it was going to be a worse outcome. But yeah, I want to come back to that. But just a note, famous artworks and books like Ulysses were subject to this act, and so Ulysses Americans would like get it contraband from Europe because it was like a hugely popular book and you couldn't get it in the US because of this Comstock Act. So it had a far reaching impact, but it hasn't really been enforced since the nineteen thirties when judges argued that the language was way too broad and could literally ban things like surgical gloves. And then in nineteen thirty six it was further specified that the Comstock Act referred only to illegal items used for an abortion. In the seventies, contraceptives was removed from the language of the Acts.
Speaker 1: And the passing of Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade basically rendered it inert. The nineteen sixty five case Griswold versus Connecticut had previously weakened it, ruling that contraception was legal for married couples because before they could technically get prison time forgetting it. So now Roe v. Wade has been overturned and a lot of these protections went away again. Dobbs versus Jackson Women's Health Organization, which led to rose overturning, was mentioned in the Alabama court ruling about IVF fifteen times. Now, anti abortion crusaders are looking to use Roe v. Wade not being there to bring the Comstock Acts back. In fact, after Rose overturned, the Biden administration officially released a memo saying the Comstock Act does not apply to abortion bills, which it doesn't like even as it is now because they've updated it, but they're still looking to change it and use it. In April twenty twenty three, a federal judge appointed by Trump and Texas ruled that when the FDA approved mifipristone two decades ago, they did so illegally, pointing to what they called serious safety concerns, which he has is bull The Biden administration and the judge. Manufacturer appealed, we've talked about this before. At the same time, a judge in Washington ruled that the government must allow for access to this drug. Attorney generals and over twenty states have warned companies like Walgreens and CBS they could get in legal trouble if they mailed the drug. The same judge from the Texas ruling Casmeric claimed that fathers have the constitutional right to control their daughter's access to birth controls.
Speaker 3: Which were the mother, even though the matriarch is supposed to be raising the children.
Speaker 2: Hey, it is very strange from Fox who's a quote? Because Marek has claimed that being transgender is a quote mental disorder and that gay people are disordered. In a twenty fifteen article, he denounced a so called sexual revolution, which sought public affirmation of the lie that the human person is an autonomous blob of silly putty, unconstrained by nature our biology, and that marriage, sexuality, gender identity, and even the unborn child must yield to the erotic desires of liberated adults. So this is what we're talking about. The people who are making these rulings here what they think.
Speaker 3: And for him to name children as like being erotic for adults again, I'm like, I'm really thinking you might be telling on yourself, which is what we see too often.
Speaker 1: We do, indeed, we do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, So that whole this whole thing started after a drag fundraising event to prevent LGBTQ plus suicide was shut down and the students running the event sued, saying it infringed on their First Amendment free speech rights. But this judge argued there was a historical legal president against sexualized speech, citing the Comstock Act. YEP, a different guy in Texas again this I was like, this is a story for another episode. But briefly, he led this charge to make his city a quote sanctuary for the unborn and twenty nineteen, which was unanimously agreed upon amongst the all male votees. As part of the effort, he contacted attorney Jonathan Mitchell and, according to Miss Magazine quote, Mitchell submitted an amachust cure. A friend of the court brief in Dabbs on behalf of Texas Right to Life, which he denied that women need access to abortion in order to have control over their reproductive lives, arguing instead that they can simply refrain from having sex. This was also a part of the whole bounty hunter thing in Texas that rewards people for reporting anyone even remotely potentially involved in an abortion.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: The quote continues as Mitchell expounded to a town commission meeting in Edgewood, New Mexico. Such a victory quote would be a defeat far more catastrophic than dabs for the supporters of abortion access. A ruling of that sort would effectively ban abortion nationwide, making it possible for abortions to be performed even in blue states, because even though the Comstock law does not ban abortion literally, it bans the shipment or receipt of any abortion related equipment. This ruling was limited to mifipristone, but providers did say that they would pivot to another drug, misaprostol, if necessary, which is typically prescribed for things like stomach ulcers but can be used for abortions. Also safe. However, it's also under a threat.
Speaker 3: Right so from the Guardian, But in practice, a ban on sending abortion tools through the mail or commercial transit is a ban on having those abortion tools altogether, both for medical and surgical abortions. After all, the pharmacists who dispense abortion pills at a CVS or a community clinic, even in illegal state, does not manufacture the medicines herself. She receives them in a shipment from a pharmaceutical distributor, usually in the mail or in the delivery shipment. Similarly, the doctor, nurse or midwife who performs a dilation and a cure tach surgical abortion does not weld her own speculums or forge her own cures. She does not manufacture her own syringes to administer antibiotics or painkillers, and she does not mold her own plastic hot water bottles to give to her patients for aftercare. She buys these as she buys all other medical supplies, through the system of commerce through which Americans fulfill most of their knees and conduct most of their lives. It is the anti choice movements aimed to remove abortion from that system of normal commerce, requiring providers to create alternative supply chairs the same way the anti choice movement has removed abortion from the broader system of normal medicine, requiring providers to create alternative clinics. The anti choice movement wouldn't need an Act of Congress or even a judicial ruling. All it would need is to say it was enforcing a law already on the books.
Speaker 2: Right, which is why we've heard Republicans start to bring up the Comstock Act more and more because this is what they're talking about doing. Just a reminder, all of this is hugely unpopular. A majority of American support access to safe abortions. The Comstock Act was hugely unpopular even then, but he got it through using the same tactics that we're seeing now. Also, I know we say this every time, but those drugs we've been discussing are safe. They've been proven safe.
Speaker 3: They're safe, They're completely completely safe. Literally the level of side effugs is along with Thailand all.
Speaker 2: Yes, completely safe, and you can still get them.
Speaker 1: So don't don't think that that's what we're saying.
Speaker 2: That's just something we need to be vigilant about because this is what they're they're looking at doing. There is a push to repeal the Comstock Acts, but given our current political climate, it's an uphill battle. And another note, it wouldn't ban abortion drugs outright, it would just pretty much again they're not thinking this through because you use surgical gloves for other things like but it would make it very, very very difficult to get them. And this is all connected. This is all linked, like what we've been talking about, banning books, banning abortion, the role of police, the role of surveillance, like this is what we're saying when we talk about intersectional feminism and why it is all connected. And on top of that, it is really distressing that we've gotten these numbers about burst from rapes because people were not able to access abortion, which is frightening in terms of lack of access, but also in what it suggests about rape numbers. And you know, to be clear, if you want an abortion, a safe abortion, you should be able to get one. This is very troubling data. But there have been some wins for reproductive rights in the US, including in conservative states and elsewhere, because of people doing the work and fighting back. So that's something else like it can be very disheartening to hear something like this, and it is it is, but there are also so many people fighting and who aren't giving up and who are doing these things, and it does matter, so keep that in mind. And also outside of the US, for instance, France just enshrined abortion rights into their constitution in March of twenty twenty four. As we record this, and a lot of people said that we're interviewed about it that in part.
Speaker 1: After seeing what happened in the US.
Speaker 3: So exactly, Yep, we're a cautionary tell wonderful.
Speaker 2: Wonderful Yes. As we said at the top, I'm sure we'll be revisiting this a lot. There's a lot of that we need to go back to that's happened around abortion in the US. But also, listeners, if you have any resources, if you live anywhere in the US or outside of the US, where you've been involved in something around abortion, or there's something going on you think we should know about, please please please let us know.
Speaker 1: That is so.
Speaker 2: Valuable to us. You can email U at Stephania mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok that stuff. I never told you. We have a tea public store and we have a book that has a whole chapter on abortion productive rights that you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super ducer Christina, executive ducer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Stefan ever told you the prodection of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you listen to your favorite show