Speaker 1: I'm gonna do U two truths in a lie, okay, which is something we've done in our live shows, but I have not done on uh this show.
Speaker 2: Uh and that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh we do this in our live shows, where I usually do true truths in a lie about something from when we were envoy Mets World that I'm assuming you guys don't remember. But for today, I'm gonna do something about my current life that I that I don't think you guys are going to be able to answer, which is Okay, writer, Writer's surprising fandom. Okay, what am I a fan of? Oh?
Speaker 3: I can't wait, I can't wait. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Number One, I am a post Malone fan. If you look at my Spotify right now, my most listened to artist is mister post Malone.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Number two, I am a Twilight fan. I have read all the books, some of them more than once. I do not like the movies besides the first one. Number three, I am a Survivor fan. I have watched every season and have even participated in a fantasy football like league for Survivor.
Speaker 2: I am pray ye that you're not a Twilight fan because the books are awful, so I'm god I'm going with that only because I will literally think less of you if that's not true.
Speaker 1: Hugely successful books hugely successful movies.
Speaker 3: Means I read them. I'm not going to say. I'm not going to say I love them and think they're dear quality, but you know I enjoyed them.
Speaker 2: Please be a post Malone and Survivor fan.
Speaker 3: I will say that I think post Malone. I have a friend who has a father who's maybe maybe only five to ten years older than writer, and he loves post Malone, so I could see I could see there being some like middle aged food love for post Malone.
Speaker 1: I love that you would need somebody's father. In order to rationalize that I might like that need too old.
Speaker 3: I needed to go do are there any other old is there? I know?
Speaker 1: Do I know an old man? What other sad dad? I need some? Does post Alone count as sad dad music?
Speaker 3: It sure does.
Speaker 2: I liked his early stuff. I liked prem Alone, and I do also Survivor.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't be that shocking to me for writer to like since writer thinks a great vacation is jumping his entire family in the middle of the country. And saying, you know, go for yourselves, like every man for themselves. I I think I'm gonna go with you completely that the Twilight books are the lie.
Speaker 1: You are correct.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank god, Oh thank god.
Speaker 1: I probably shouldn't have done books if I had done movies, if I had done but the fact that I went books and both of you have read them too, which I did not expect.
Speaker 2: Actually, no, I got halfway through the first one and I am a fantasy nerd, and I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I thought, because you knew I like horror stuff, I thought me, maybe the Twilight could slip in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, we know you're two pretentious to be into.
Speaker 1: That, but not too pretentious. Well, yeah, of course, I'm way too pretentious for most things.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 1: That's the point of this is that I can't stand reality TV, but I love Survivor.
Speaker 2: Have you watched them all? Oh?
Speaker 1: Watch them all? I am so into it. Right now, we're watching season forty five with Indy. We are loving it.
Speaker 2: But forty five seasons.
Speaker 1: I was on, Yeah, forty five seasons forty six.
Speaker 3: That is coming out two a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do two a year. And uh, And I was a part of a Survivor league for a couple of years. It was great. It was great. Uh yeah, no, I actually we got into it when Alex was pregnant. We got really into Survivor and Amazing Race, which I had never been, like, I was so not into reality, but for whatever reason, when she was pregnant, that became our thing. And I think, you know, Indy could hear the Survivor and Amazing Race theme through the womb, so he loves her now. It's a great man.
Speaker 2: Nate Bargatzi's got that great joker. He's like, my wife and I watch Amazing Race and she says we should go on this and he's like, if you want to get divorced, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Well that's That's the entire point of these shows, right, is to reflect on how you would be or how you would act. And with Amazing Race, it's actually quite helpful to be like, how would you? And with the Key too, it's fun to be like, do you see how this person is like turning on their partner in an awful way, or like they're being irrational or you can have those conversations. Uh, Survivor, you're just training how to be a sociopath. It's all correct. You're like, how do I lie to people better? So like, actually amazing Race I really think is helpful as a family. But Survivor we're like training into how to be psychopathic.
Speaker 2: Would you do if they did like Celebrity Survivor and they asked you to go on.
Speaker 3: Survivor should eats World?
Speaker 1: And I would Survivor? I mean it is miserable looking, it is miserable.
Speaker 2: But but you would go, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Would they have me?
Speaker 2: They probably have, I don't know. You'd be on Kiev, be on camera again, and you.
Speaker 1: Have to be I mean like, I mean, here's the thing. I would be awful at Survivor because I would just be so don't yes. I would just be too honest and be like, oh I trust you, Okay, We're going all the way to the end. And I would just stick with it and I would get blindsided within like the second night. I would be like what people told me. They looked to me in the eyes, they shook my hand like you have to be a sociopad. That's the whole, that's the game. I can't do it, couldn't do it. I can't even play like people play Where Wolf or Mafia. Have you ever played these games? Secret Hitler? I cannot play Secret Hitler. These are like fun what is what?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was a huge game, Like in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, this game came out. It's like it's it's actually it's pretty brilliant. It's fun, but I can't play it. It's you get you. You all have like roles in your part of a government, but one of you is secretly Hitler and you have to like convince other people to vote for you. It's you know, it's it's just a board game like Mafia or Where Wolf. These these games where you have to convince people to trust you, and then of course you're you're lying, you're faking it. I can't do it. I can't play any of those games. I'm always just like no, sorry, I'm Hitler. I'm I'm aware Wolf, I'm part of them Mafia. I just outright tell the truth. So I know I would be awful survivor Amazing Race would be great. It'd be great, Amazing Race.
Speaker 3: We should do Pod meets World, Amazing Grace. Let's so don't get three of us, three of us?
Speaker 2: Oh, Jesus, it doesn't sound like I would be good at that.
Speaker 1: You would be awful and amazing. Have you ever watched Amazing Race?
Speaker 3: No? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I don't know if you'd be all be pretty good?
Speaker 2: Could I sleep watching mash every night? Still?
Speaker 1: You have to travel and go into other cultures and other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: No, I try like traveling when I travel all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean right after, what's your favorite Post Malone song?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, I am obsessed with his album Austin. I don't know anything before that, but he put on an album last year called Austin. I have been listening to it none stop. I am it's just beautiful. I think he is.
Speaker 2: Think I've ever made a song in my life?
Speaker 1: Well, apparently it's mostly hip hop, which I do not listen to. But this, this album is like his rock album. I wouldn't really call it a rock album, but it's it's more, you know, singer songwriter, and I just think his voice is incredible and I'm like, oh, I genuinely love this album. Look, if we want to talk sad dad music, I am all about I have plenty of singer songwriter opinions and hot takes. But if we're going to talk about pop music or like what No, Okay, post Malone is as cool as I get, and I still he shows up on Super Bowl and I'm like, why does he have all that stuff on his face?
Speaker 2: Did he do the song from Spider Man Into the Universe?
Speaker 1: Yes, which is how I okay, that's how I know because Indy loved that song and was into it, and I was like, this great song which made me get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great song, should say I'm not through the movie? Yeah, great song.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Welcome to pod World.
Speaker 5: I'm Daniel Fishall, I'm rather strong, and I'm Wilford.
Speaker 3: So this week we are recapping season four, episode ten, Turkey Day. It originally aired November twenty second, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis is after learning about prejudice among tribes in Africa, Corey and Sean want their families to celebrate Thanksgiving together, but run into a class divide that appears impossible to overcome. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Susan Estelle Janssen. We can jump into the guest stars. Blake Clark is back as chedd Hunter, Ethan Sipple is Frankie Stacchino and Worth noting this is his last episode until that's season drive.
Speaker 2: Bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Scheren Mitchell returns as Verna Hunter, also her last but for good. We don't ever see her again after it really yes, and then e j De La Pagna is back as Herman Stachino in more episodes than I remembered, IM more Herman than I ever could have remembered, but this is also his last episode.
Speaker 1: I can't believe Sharen doesn't come back. I I does somebody else play Sean's mom?
Speaker 3: No, right, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Wow, I loved you take off again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought there was a whole nother Wow. Okay, I made up an entire storyline in my mind because she disappeared or yeah, well it.
Speaker 2: Might be alluded to maybe yeah, obviously because yeah, Blake comes back. I mean, yeah, there's yeah, but you also have Matt, your brother comes in. I know, a whole different thing with Matt.
Speaker 3: And Ned Bellamy as Luther. Most recognized as Waylan Forge in Twilight. Interesting. Interesting, But he's been in so many great things, from being John Malkovich to Seinfeld to Shawshank Redemption, and he was just seen in the Netflix movie Family Switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he works all time.
Speaker 3: And then we have kay E Cutter as Herbert. He's a character actor with parts in The Last star Fighter, Bonanza LASTI twenty six episodes a Fighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't recognize him from Starfighter.
Speaker 1: I didn't see Starfighters since I was probably six, But I love.
Speaker 2: Quote it right now, best movie ever.
Speaker 3: God. He was in twenty six episodes of Green Acres, seventeen episodes of petticoat Junction, and he's in Guys and Dolls. He passed away in two thousand and three at the age of seventy eight. And then we have Christian Jamioli as Carl. He's best known as portraying one of the soccer players stranded in the snow in the movie Alive, as where.
Speaker 2: I recognized him from.
Speaker 1: He was in Alive. Okay, yeah, go hold on which which which character is.
Speaker 2: The right hand the right hand man.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have.
Speaker 2: A line, He doesn't speak at all.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because he looks familiar to me too. I was like he was alive obviously from working with him, but I was like, yeah, but he never never has.
Speaker 2: A right alive.
Speaker 3: It was his first job. Alive was great movie. He's also appeared on Chicago Hope, n YPD, Blue Ray Donovan, and c n C I S Los Angeles. So overall thoughts on the episode, M hmm, it's.
Speaker 1: An interesting episode. There's a lot to like. There's a lot to like.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: There's some stuff not to like.
Speaker 3: I agree, some stuff not to like.
Speaker 2: The whole story didn't work for me, Like it seemed like this should have been a Fresh Prince episode.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Like, it's an interesting because they're so wealthy in Fresh Prints that there's a really huge.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: There, lower middle class of lower middle class family. I mean, it shouldn't be that huge, right it is.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I did not love was like a little bit of a similar to the way Amy was in that episode in the Wilderness Store where all of a sudden she was super naggy and we were like, has Amy ever been this character before? It made me feel bit like have the Matthews ever been this family before? They seem so down to earth, and you know, they're kind of they like cool music and they're a little hippieish here they're hippies.
Speaker 1: They were hippie.
Speaker 2: It does people that are connected to the Earth, and there was no there was no classes, and that's where they were, and he worked at a grocery storm and the idea that now they can't get along with people at a trailer park just that didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Also, the conceit that the trailer park community would come together after one really brief few moments of them being on the premises to get rid of.
Speaker 1: My big note was like, why didn't the Matthews should have done something in the opening? Rationalized if they parked their car in the wrong spot, or like, you know, they did something in that opening, But instead they just show up and knock on the wrong door with Hunters, And I know it would have been so easy to have them make a mistake, right like they just they insulted the trailer park in a way that totally unintentionally sets emotions.
Speaker 3: Try to do it with the underthing they did. Try to do it where the first thing he says is, so what you're saying is if a letter fell off my door, I wouldn't replace it. They tried, but.
Speaker 1: It was why would Herbert be upset? Like you know the whole I.
Speaker 3: Know I would was it Herbert?
Speaker 2: Why bring in it?
Speaker 1: Herbert because they think it's funny. They think it's funny that these I don't know. I yeah, I didn't love it. I think I think this episode is the result of the fact that the entire for first half of this season, they've really tried to develop the Hunters as like this other show. And so once you've done that right, it's like, oh, well, we should combine these two shows. We should show the difference between these shows. It just doesn't quite work.
Speaker 2: It's also if this was their plan the entire time, how is this her last episode? Yeah, it's like you're developing this whole family and then you show them together and then we never bring her back.
Speaker 1: It was very It just didn't pop. It just didn't pop. It ends up about.
Speaker 2: These stars were great. The acting. Some of the acting was really spot on. You know, I didn't hate it. I did not like Eric's character at all in this episode, as brief as it was. He was just kind of a dick.
Speaker 1: Mister Turtleneck.
Speaker 2: You didn't like.
Speaker 1: Swaye jackets hoodie. I will I will make a statement that may be surprising to you, guys. I think this is my best performance in the history of Boy Meets World so far.
Speaker 2: Really, it's very good, really great, You're great.
Speaker 1: I am can I'm very hard on myself throughout watching this show. I think this is right or strong as Sean Hunter at his best. I don't know why I feel like I am not self conscious. I feel like I am dramatic without being too much, like that end.
Speaker 3: Where I thank you for being my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah but all but from the class like where I give the thing like I just I just am like downplaying it. And the greatest moment in the history of Boy Meets World for me is my dance at the beginning with Ben and I jump up and it's funny. I don't know what is happening. I don't remember any of this, but I am so not self conscious. I am just having fun. And I think that this episode, and if I think historically, it makes sense that this follows the wrestling Ben and I have entered mind mold with this end. Yes, we are, I think after the trauma of going through the ww as together, we are so in sync with one another. I am clearly just enjoying working with Ben Savage, and the two of us are just bouncing off each other, and I am having so much fun. I could tell that I am as a teen actor, am having fun with Ben like and I think this just enters a new era for me as an actor that I could see like I don't remember this episode, but I could see like, oh, that's like me in a different mindset, Like I'm just relaxed and I'm having fun.
Speaker 2: And so I really that's what I was gonna say. I thought the strongest part of this episode was you and Ben together. Yeah, it's fun between the two of you. That worked and the cuts that they were doing with like between the Matthews family and the Hunter family, the optical flips, the stuff, the showing the difference with the where the two of you are on a team and then you're trying to make each other feel better where it's like, hey, everything's great. Then you do the turn. You guys were great at the eisode.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 3: The fun was palpable. Absolutely you could feel it. It was very it was jumping through the screen. It was like totally makes you understand, not that it has been confusing before, but it totally makes you understand why the Corey and Sean friendship is so beloved, Like why that relationship is looked up to and is like put on a pedestal as being, you know, true.
Speaker 2: Friendship behind Corey and Tepanga. I think it's Corey and t Panga and then there's Corey Sean.
Speaker 3: I think it's on the same level.
Speaker 2: I think that's possible too.
Speaker 3: I think it's on the same level that people go Corey and Sean and.
Speaker 1: The romance is a real thing. But it's funny because I felt it in the writing constantly, obviously from the beginning, but for some reason, this is the episode where I feel like it locked in in the performance, like Ben and I are just enjoying each other's acting, and my.
Speaker 2: Far the strongest part of this episode was the two of You's.
Speaker 3: So jumping into our recap, we start in Phoene's classroom, where I noticed for the first time a poster of just soup and it just says soup in big letters. Just wow, a clam soup and it says soup.
Speaker 1: But old on is it because of the cam drive.
Speaker 3: The who know? No, just like a piece of art soup?
Speaker 2: And it's also a Turkey Day. They've made sure you know it's Turkey Day. There's there's turkey, there's Thanksgiving everywhere. Gobble gobble.
Speaker 3: So Foene is teaching about the conflict in Burundi and explaining that it's leaking into Rwanda and Uganda. Cory stares blank, blankly. He's making these names up. Sean agrees, he's finally run out of stuff to teach. We're gonna have to put a bag over him and drag him out of the room. Foene focuses on class differences, saying they are a perennial source of misery on this planet, which is.
Speaker 1: A very interesting like take to make class. There's no reference to ethnic differences or like ethnic classes. It's just reduced to, oh, it's it's about class, which is a a very it like it. It's an it's it's a take, and then of course it plays into that. But you know, yeah, but they.
Speaker 2: Did this same conversation already with time Machine and the Eloy and the Morlock.
Speaker 3: We had this one, right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is they're teaching the same thing with a different book, But that.
Speaker 1: One makes a little more sense because that's.
Speaker 2: Because that's exactly what it was about. That's what the book was about.
Speaker 1: But yeah, reduce it like there's no national identity, there's no ethnic identity, there's no tribal identity, there's no it's just religious related. No religious it's just we're gonna make this huge, complicated world. We're going to just spoil it down to class difference and the haves and the have nazas written on the board, which is super I was like, oh, okay, which is why it worked with time machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was.
Speaker 1: Because that's literally what it is.
Speaker 2: That's exactly. So that's why I was like, Oh, they're doing this again, but different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to play Devil's advocate a tiny yes, I'm not even really playing Devil's advocate.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: But also, as we've mentioned in other times, where there have been mentions of literature or poetry or something and then it has a very loose thread connection to the storyline, I still think putting things out there that I still feel like you learn about it because, especially now rewatching, you can then go what was that about. I did a little bit of research because I wanted to know what we were talking about, and so I did then oh wow, didn't know about that? Interesting? And I think at the time, even though there wasn't a you know, world wide web to Google all your answers to even just speaking about a subject and starts conversations, brings things up, makes you maybe ask your teacher about it, makes you learn more about it.
Speaker 2: So you also have to earn the knowledge back in the day.
Speaker 1: And it is it is unusual for boy means world because we didn't we referenced literature, we referenced history, but current events is actually a pretty rare thing for us to hint on this heavy and and so it's it's yeah, in some ways, that's great, Like you lean into it, right, and like this is something that a lot of people, probably kids now, don't even really know about that. So carrying these names wanting yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I can never You never go wrong with Foeni in front of the classroom teaching. Mm hmm, like it just you can never. There's never a scene where you're like, oh man, they've got Phoenie at the chalkboard again. You're going, oh, okay, good, I feel comfortable. There's yeah, mister Phoene's teaching a class. That's always a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Phoene adds the class must do a paper on this topic during the Thanksgiving break, resulting in a loud groan from the class. Also, Phoene congratulates the class on another successful food drive this year and announces the winners are Corey Matthews and Sean Hunter, both telegraphing they knew the victory was coming. They spring up and start dancing to Penga complaints, this is so unfair. They just turn in the same cans year after year. And I hope you guys enjoyed my performance because I don't say another thing for the rest of your Yeah, Sean defends himself. The food bank gives them to my family. My family gives them back to the food bank. It's life in the food bank chain. Phoene reveals their winning prizes a turkey. They're not impressed, but then he pulls out a box of stuffing and they're impressed.
Speaker 2: Ooh so true.
Speaker 1: Turkey is the worst part of.
Speaker 3: An em great love turkey, Thanks for being.
Speaker 1: Turkey is the.
Speaker 3: Best no One.
Speaker 1: No one likes Thanksgiving because of the turkey. It is always a huge pain and we have to figure out how to make it work. It takes so much time the oven.
Speaker 2: You're bad at making turkey.
Speaker 1: No, she does bacon wrapped turkey with cornbread stuffing. It's delicious. As far as turkey goes, it still does not matter. Oh no Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I'm going to your Thanksgiving in May.
Speaker 2: So yeah, great, you're doing it right. We won't We're not a writer. Yeah, writer, just won't be there. We'll give you a cheeseburger. But that's made of a veget vegetable.
Speaker 3: Vegetables, grape Now great, great. Now we're in the school hallway. Everyone files out and Corey tells Sean he can have the turkey, he'll keep the stuffing. No, Sean wants the stuffing. They agree it is the best part. They go back and forth hoover who should get the stuffing. Finally ask each other how can they have it together. It's very quick dialogue, very Tarantina esque.
Speaker 1: You guys, this is like this and we're doing a thing. It's great.
Speaker 3: I know. All of this was so fun for me. Corey proposes a plan. They eat the stuffing together, but problem is they both have to be with their respective families. So Corey suggests that their families have Thanksgiving dinner together and their parents, who've never really met, can get acquainted. Then the boys are ecstatic at the idea of a Hunter's Matthew's big event. But then optical flip. We're in the Matthew's kitchen and Alan is shaking his head. He doesn't want to spend Thanksgiving with the Hunters. Amy groans it's a family holiday, and Corey says, Sean is family. He explains that over at the Hunters they are absolutely delighted to have Thanksgiving with us another and it worked, and it worked. Delighted and the Hunters trailer. Chet sarcastically asks, go for a rider.
Speaker 1: Look delighted.
Speaker 3: He's holding the world's tiniest coffee cup.
Speaker 2: Did you guys? It's very small? It's so cute. Well, they've got to show that they don't have any money so they can't afford a regular size.
Speaker 3: I love it. He explains that it's unnatural to mix the classes. You're tampering with the primal force of nature. Verna defends her son, saying she thinks it's a great idea. Chet is befuddled. Have you been drinking? She explains, there's nothing wrong with having contact with a better class of people. Chet accuses her of being a social climber, and Verner responds, say what you will, but they're coming.
Speaker 1: Better class. I know, yeah, and why would he be against It's it feels very artificial, this whole seal. I agree, and I think, yeah, this side of the equation is just not great.
Speaker 2: No, like that the.
Speaker 1: Issue should have been that they are insecure immediately, like they don't want to have people over. I don't know. It's just like there's a million in ways to show the conflict and the fact that they're self consciously aware of like oh, they're better than us, they're richer than us.
Speaker 2: But it also leads the Matthews to being like, well, we don't want to go there and have Thanksgiving with them because they don't have a lot of money. It's like, what they've never been like that, They've never been that family. As a matter of fact, we've gone out of our way to show that when the quote unquote richie rich people show up at the house, they're like, you know, they're yes, they don't get along with The problem.
Speaker 1: Should be one of culture, not of money, right, Like the conflict should be based on they, I don't know, watch crappy TV shows and don't read or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like they like to wear their boxers and you know, like for chet, I want to be in my boxers all day, right.
Speaker 1: Or they drink too much, you know whatever. They're real, right, they're like real cultural issues instead like to go to money, Like people don't think in terms of money. People don't actually talk in terms of money. They they they rational, Like I do believe that there are huge class differences between people, obviously, but I but the people don't experience class difference as class difference. They experience it as cultural difference. Right, So like you just think you're better than somebody because you're richer than them. You don't understand, you know what I'm saying. Like, so the fact that these characters are all consciously talking about their differences from each other in terms of money, it doesn't reflect reality. Like that's not the way people actually engage with one another. So it's it's completely.
Speaker 2: Facial to me. It yeah, it was very It was just strange for me.
Speaker 3: So Ched announces over my big dead body. Then we get what I can only call a modified optical flip, where we're back at the Matthew's kitchen. Sean excitedly tells Corey his folks are totally up for it. Corey says the same, It's going to be great. And then hilariously, you both turn away from each other and you look like you might vomit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had to positive orwind to watch both of you because both your faces were just so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good and it feels like ah hijinks and just in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Then we go to a commercial break and we're back in the Matthew's kitchen. Allan, while holding a normal sized coffee cup, hangs up the phone. It was verna hunter with a pre Thanksgiving Day tip for them. Apparently there are a lot of stray animals around the trailer park of Vicious Goat in particular, so don't wear red and don't make any jerky movements. Amy offers maybe we should wear camouflage, but Alan explains, no, that upsets the bear.
Speaker 1: And this rusty is incredible. I know.
Speaker 4: He is so funny in this episode, not only funny, but also like later, the delicacy with which he approaches like the conflict with them. He is just no, He's such the consummate actor and totally took it for granted.
Speaker 2: One I said, literally said the same thing to Sue. We were watching it last night, and I looked at her and I was like, I wish I knew how good this man was when we were there. Yeah, he crushes it on a daily basis, and he was so good at the efforts.
Speaker 1: It's just effortless. This is actually a very difficult role that he's playing in.
Speaker 3: This episode, and you never you.
Speaker 1: Never judge him as a character for judging them, And that's really tricky because the way it's written, Alan and are being pretty weird, like it's.
Speaker 3: Not great, and Amy has one later that just makes me.
Speaker 1: Go, what so good? Rust? He is so good?
Speaker 3: I would like to point out, because we just talked about it in the scene before this is actually exactly what we're talking about. The cultural differences, the fact that don't wear red. There's a wily goat loose on the property and the goat might attack us, and wearing camouflage, no, that will upset the bear. That kind of stuff of like I don't want to go there, there's.
Speaker 1: A goat totally.
Speaker 3: That kind of thing is is would would totally make you feel.
Speaker 1: Like uncomfortable without knowing why you're uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: But yeah, exactly so they did do it, because we did just criticize the fact that they the premise was set up.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's very tough. Like, I don't think it's easy. You know. I think as a writer, if you're trying to write this, you're trying to write class difference. That's a very tough thing to show, and especially to appeal to your audience, right, which is a mainstream American audience which has people that live in trailer parks, people that live in nice houses, and like, how do you how do you get your your audience on the side of all of these characters. It's tricky, man, Like, it's a tough episode. And I you know, we did it when we showed the trailer park before we did it by making Shawn's family criminals, right, that was the like out, that was the way to be like, isn't this family crazy because they're all criminals, not because they're poor, And then here it's just, yeah, it's tricky. I don't know. I don't have the answer. I don't I think maybe it's flawed from the outset, Like maybe you just don't do this kind of episode because it's too it's too hard.
Speaker 3: It's because they do again, they do the same thing talking about how do you show it? Even though it's not necessarily a great example, but the unters they show it there too, by like, oh, I just assumed that was broken. So you think I would have something broken in my house and I just wouldn't fix it. Why would I do that? So it is, it's hard, and I think they tried, and I think in the ways that they tried, they did a really good job of it. It's just it is. It's a tough it's a tough setup.
Speaker 2: It is, But that's why I think, like I said, I could see this as a Fresh Prince episode where it's like the uber wealthy family going to the trailer park family makes more sense than I mean, they've done episodes where the Matthews are struggling for money. Where what are you going to do about this? What are we going to do about that? So they're not different enough in class for this setup to work for me? Yeah? Right.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate the effort, though, I will say, yeah, I appreciate the effort, especially since so much of the show is bill around Seawan's character to actually really do an episode.
Speaker 1: And I love the naivete of children being friends and their parents friends like well, my favorite line is is I think it's at the end of this scene that Rusty says we'll get to it, but I feel like he says something to the effect of like just we'll get to it.
Speaker 3: We'll get to it, okay. So then Frankie appears at the door and announces, out of respect, I come to you the father of Morgan Matthews to discuss a dating situation. Alan turns to Amy and frantically whispers, call the cops.
Speaker 1: I love all the cops of a dated situation.
Speaker 3: It is so funny.
Speaker 1: And this is where I was like, Wow, Ethan really, it's so interesting that he is the sort of sole survivor of the second season, Like he's the only one of all the bullies, of all those characters that we've introduced, Adam Scott Blake, like we've had so many different versions of like and he keeps coming back. It's so fascinating, Like he really, he really was just such a great presence and such a good actor.
Speaker 2: You can also argue though, that other than the one episode with Harley, he was also the character that they gave the most depth to Yes, where it was like you got to see more of him, They gave him another color than just the funny bully in the in the hallway, so you could keep bringing him back because it was like, oh, there's so much more. And then there's, of course just the fact that Ethan was just such a good act.
Speaker 1: But think about what that started with. That started with a gay joke, Like that's literally what the character was written as. He was supposed to be the big, tough guy who then says, what are you saying? I'm gay? Right, But that was his first line, and the joke there was that this character has nuance and depth beyond being just a big guy, which is just a one off throwaway joke until it becomes this season's long character. It's pretty brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's pretty it's also because of how good he was. Yeah, I mean it truly is how good he was.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so it's not for frank eats for his little brother, Herman, who appears from behind him holding a bouquet of flowers. Frankie nudges Herman forward, just as we practiced. Herman begins deer Matthew's family, especially the father. I request the presence of Morgan Matthews for an after dinner piece of pumpkin pie. Frankie explains, word around the trailer park is you'll be on the premises Thanksgiving Day. Morgan excitedly asks for her parents' permission, and it is granted. Frankie excuses himself, if we are to have a female visitor, we must tidy up the trailer. But before they go, Frankie offers a word of caution. Alan cuts him off. We know about the goat. Herman emphasizes, do not underestimate him. He is wiley.
Speaker 2: He is Wiley.
Speaker 3: And it's a perfect little scene. I love it. Great scene.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: Then we're in the trailer park. Corey leads his family to the Hunters with excitement, which includes Will wearing a turtle neck and a sway.
Speaker 1: Switch, and then is Rusty also wearing jacket.
Speaker 2: I think his is brown brown?
Speaker 1: Pretty? You guys are you guys are the Swede family. Everybody's looking so like they've clearly lay.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just amazing. You're just like suddenly an eighties yuppie villain, Like you know, you're just.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, the show, Yeah, making sure that we win, we win the summer thing at the rich Kids camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it's. It's summertimes. Sometimes you just think you really should be carrying a racket. That would I mean it, that's what I racket.
Speaker 2: It's like, when did we ever see the Matthews like this? I mean this was never seen.
Speaker 1: Also, you guys own an outdoor store, like you think you'd be comfortable with like outdoorsiness.
Speaker 2: Door stuff.
Speaker 3: So they're finally going to see where his best friend lives. Amy realizes she forgot her person in the car. She doesn't want it, but she doesn't want to leave it in the car. Alan mitts, I don't want to leave the car in the car, but we're stuck with it. Eric times in, just give me the keys, I'll get the purse. Alan asks, and when would you be back? Eric answers not coming back, is disappointed he's never taking them anywhere ever again. Amy is also surprised by this family's negative attitude. Morgan then says she has to go to the bathroom, and Amy quickly retorts, not here, honey, hold it till we're home. Alan tells Corey to get the purse, leaving the Matthews to find the trailer on their own, and then we do a small little time lapse. The Matthews seem lost. Which one did Corey say it? Was. Alan points to a trailer that reads the Unters. That has to be the one, and the Age must have fallen off in the last twister flood or go to attack.
Speaker 2: There was also funny. There was a pretty funny line before where he says, Eric says to Corey, which one is it? And he goes, it's that one down there, and Eric says, O, you mean the one that looks like all the other ones. Okay, great, so it is. It's just it's so out of character for Eric, but it was a funny line.
Speaker 3: All the trailers look like all the other trailers. A man who is not Chet opens the door. Alan asks if the Hunters live there, and the man corrects him no, we are the unders like it says right there on the sign. Alan admits, so I thought the age had fallen off. The man is defensive. You think of a letter fell off my name? I wouldn't replace it. Alan stutters, they're nice people, nice lost people. The man guesses they aren't from around here, and Morgan tells them they live over in Cedar Heights and is this the first mention.
Speaker 2: Of Cedar n So and you add heights to something, it.
Speaker 3: Becomes very wealthy. The man responds, La di da, I hear that Cedar Heights is quite the lovely neighborhood. Amy explains they're having dinner with the Hunters and wonders if he can tell them where that is. The man points to the trailer next door, sarcastically, saying he won't keep them any longer because the Jet Hunters are probably looking forward to their visit, and then he rudely slams the door.
Speaker 2: Wait did you not see it? I broke Rusty? Did you really? I broke Rusty? So I obviously like I did that wave at the end after the door was shut, and Rusty looks right at me and starts laughing. He turns and then he's covering his mouth amazing as he's knocking them out. I pause, and it's like, I did I broke Crusty? So I full on broke Crusty at that season. I was so happy with that. I was proud. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: So they take a few steps over to the Hunter's trailer. It's now clean and festively decorated. Amy knocks on the door, and inside Sean prepares his parents. They're here. Big smiles. Everybody. The Matthews enter still minus Corey, and Alan pulls out a nice bottle of wine he brought. Chet politely thanks him, but explains, we had a very good wine plan for this evening's festivities, a whole box of it right in the refrigerator. Alan assures them they don't need to drink the wine he brought, he'll just save it for another time. Chet grabs the bottle back from Alan. They'll drink his wine since he went through the trouble of bringing it. Verna comes up with a solution, why don't we pour both our wines into a big bowl and add some bananas and oranges and have ourselves some friendships Sangria terrible idea. Anybody who drinks wine knows that's a bad idea. Chet whispers to her, nobody wants that, and she sternly emphasizes they do. She sends Chet to go get some tiny umbrellas from the kitchen while she serves the Matthews or Dervs. She presents a grow year and pecan log. Amy hands the dish she brought over to Verna, and Verna stares at it admiringly. She knows the pecan log is not as fancy as what they would have served at their home, And I like all of this. I like that Verna is in her mind thinking of, well, how would they serve it, what would they do? And in her mind they would have fancy little umbrellas in their drinks, and so she made sure she had those things. And even the dish that Amy brings over that then when she hands her that dish, she looks at it and she feels inferior because of her mismatched silverware that we learn about later. All of those things are things that people have felt in one time or another, especially now with like Instagram and all the ways we're able to show or influencers show their home lives and you open up you see the inside of their refrigerator and you go, wait a minute, am I supposed to have dozens of little plastic things inside my refriger to organize all my berries? Like I didn't know I was supposed to have that we have at one time or another. Everyone can relate to feeling as like, man, I'm not doing it. Well, I'm not doing this the way it's supposed to be done. So I actually think with the amount of limited stuff they were able, there are a few things that later make you go e. But overall, so far I'm right on board with all of this. Have you brought over a bottle of wine?
Speaker 1: I think Will's Will's criticism is exactly right. There's not there's they're not rich enough, right, We're not a stab and also they're not comfortable, like nobody's a snob. The Matthews are so nice. You have to make Eric a snob in order to make any of this work. But they're actually trying so hard to be accommodating because they have to be likable, cool people, which they are, right, So there isn't really a conflict here, So it's it feels generated like if the Matthews were rich people like in in Fresh Prince of bel Air, exactly right. They're used to money, they expect to have money, and it's okay for them. It's like part of their character that they're snobs. And that's the fun of it is seeing the snobs be taken down. In this case, you can't be snobs. They can't be snobs. They're actually very cool, so you have no conflict, so you're generating conflicts. So it feels to me it feels like Verna is being crazy and that ends up being what it becomes is that she's she's generating conflict where there isn't conflict, and so they just make her the crazy woman over the cheese. When an actuality, it could be a good conflict, but you have to then establish at the Matthews expect certain things like they shouldn't be but you can't. You can't have them be upset about the cheese.
Speaker 2: They have a question. I have a question, and I swear to God, I'm not saying this as a joke. I'm not making light. It's a truly honest question that I'm asking because I wrote it down. Do you think they were kind of trying to write verna like maybe she has a bit of a mental illness.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's the only thing they could do, because you can't it. You can't. The Matthews either have to be snobs treating her poorly and she has to be reacting to that, or she has to be so insecure that she acts like a crazy person. And that's the way they went, because you can't write this conflict without having real class issues. But the problem is there isn't a real class issue, so right, because everybody's being nice and everybody's happy and there isn't a problem. But then she has to be so insecure that it is like a mental illness. And I think it's not good. I don't think it's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think if they did that on if they were doing that on purposes, maybe like she keepsake, she took off. You heard stuff about my mom is this and you know, back in the day, And I wonder if now that we've met her, if maybe there was a conversation where it's like, maybe she's got a bit of a mental And that's not what they would call it in the writer's room. They would have been like she's kooky or whatever, but maybe she has a bit of an action, has a bit of a man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right. I think that's kind of they backed themselves into that corner, right, Like in order to generate conflicts, to generate the scenes, they have to make her ridiculous. You know, she's like eating the cheese.
Speaker 2: Even chets, like have you been drinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she's serving the In the next scene where she's like I wanted to it's like, yeah, she's like lost it. That's the only way that they can. Yeah, it's a bummer.
Speaker 3: Amy assures her it's exactly what she would have served. Verna disagrees, you would have served the port wine, cheddar and the ceramic croc. Eric perks up. Yeah, remember you gave it to the mailman that one Christmas. Alan stuffs cracker in his mouth to shut him up. And I actually still like all of this. I like, I still like all of this. The one thing I'll agree is too far is when in that next scene I'm not even sure what it is, where she's like staring flat affect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well she looks like break literally looks like she's had a mental break.
Speaker 3: But I actually really like that we see And I guess maybe you know, as somebody who has had a lot on her plate at different times all the time and wants to be a good hostess and also wants to be all of these different things. I have felt many times like, no matter how many times, no matter how much preparation I have put into hosting something, I forget something. And because I am so hard on myself and because I am such a perfectionist, it isn't a thing that I give myself any grace for it. Becomes failed again. Couldn't do it, couldn't somehow didn't And so I like that we see this thing in her where she goes she had overthought it. Do I do the croc? Do I do this? Do I do the croc? Do I do this? Then you pick something and you go I should have chosen the croc. I think the croc would have been what you chose. And I like that. I like that she has this insecurity and yet she wanted to take it on because she wants a happy family home life and she wants her son to have to have the kind of home where he invites his friend's family over her own. Insecurity about where she is lacking totally works for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if I wonder if it's worth thinking retroactively from the next scene that's.
Speaker 3: Just the next scene, because I do agree that that next scene is like Wow, what happened here? And I would have liked for it to have changed about something other than the gosh darn cheese, which I understand that cheese is supposed to be a runner. That's funny, But like, I love the moment later where we find out the mismatched silverware that she's embarrassed by that.
Speaker 1: The reason they're.
Speaker 3: Using plastic is because she would rather use plastic than let them see. They have purchased their silverware piece at a time from thrift stores. And I just loved that. Amy explains he's not just our maleman, he's my biological father. But he doesn't know that I know. Verna explains that Hickory Farms is still open, so she'll go buy the croc. Now Check quietly approaches her on her way out. You're acting as daffy as your aunt Lucy, who nobody speaks of. Verna just wanted tonight to go well.
Speaker 2: She really has a mental illness.
Speaker 1: It's just not a good joke.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible joke, but interesting character, but terrible joke.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, right, Chet reminds her it can't go well if she runs off into the night like some cheese crazed banshee.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's about who we are and who they are. We're different and no amount of cheese is going to change the fact that tonight is not going to go well. And I told you so right on time.
Speaker 2: Corey.
Speaker 3: Here's this conversation and enters And I also like that as a character Chet. It doesn't actually make sense for Chet, which is what's I think bumping us. But I like the idea that a character already has in his mind. These people don't like us because we're we're different than them, and so everything you, everything they say, you see through the lens of judgment. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: Che is the ultimate chameleon who fits in everywhere, charms everybody, and also exactly thinks of himself as rich and successful like Chet would think, I can be, I can I can drink tea with the president bread, I can do. Yeah, he's best friends with everybody, like so the idea that he would ever decide that he can't get along with these is ridiculous. If anything, it should be that he's over compensating. He's trying so hard to fit in with them, and she's like, what are you doing? Weird different? Like that should be the dynamic. Yeah, yeah, it's a bummer completely. I will say something about Blake's performance in this moment was wonderful to me. I was, like I wrote down, I.
Speaker 6: Was like, Blake is such a good actor because he's he's he's able to be this over the top ridiculous character and yet in this moment completely real and completely believable.
Speaker 1: And in the next scene with all the trailer park people, I was like, Blake is such a good actor. He's genuinely he's not just a funny character actor. He's a genuinely great actor. He's so president in these moments. I just I don't think I recognized that at the time, you know, Like I look at this now and I'm like, this is just a great actor nailing the scene.
Speaker 2: He should have had his own show.
Speaker 1: He should his own show. He could have carried an entire sitcom. He is so he's so three dimensional, he's so likable, and he doesn't even have to do much, like he could just be in the present and he's so engaging.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I think the problem comes and it's not her fault at all, but his character changed when they brought on Verna. It just everything changed with Verna, and there was something something. I think it wasn't better, it was just different when when it was just just Check.
Speaker 1: We should have had Chet and Sean in the trailer apart on their own. They could have been their own like dynamic, And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Blake does end up doing a ton on My name is Earl that's probably the closest he ever.
Speaker 2: Was doing movies all over with the Bill Holler Comedy Tour and everything that was so big, especially in the nineties, there's no reason for given.
Speaker 1: The opportunity to be a fully realized character like a really like a father, a sitcom like something that where he has this kind of you know, like, yeah, he could have done it.
Speaker 2: He could have carried absolutely, oh easily yea.
Speaker 3: So, now sporting his mom's purse, Corey walks up to Sean and quietly asks, how could you let this thing fall apart?
Speaker 1: Before you get very trendy for today by the way, Oh yes, guys are now all wearing fanny packs and like over the shoulder bags. I was like, oh, this is actually he could look.
Speaker 3: For me with yea with Sean argues it's bigger than me. It's bigger than both of us. Very well played, great line. Bigger than me, bigger than both of us. Corey says, they have to hold this thing together world history. Really good writer, I'll never get better.
Speaker 2: This is it. This is the writer speak, writer.
Speaker 1: Speak, acting writer. I think so because after this I take myself way too seriously. For whatever reason, I was like one great out of my head and just having fun this episode.
Speaker 2: So we've got peak writer in acting and peak Danielle looks wise, Wow, we're just down all downhill.
Speaker 3: Corey says, they have to hold this thing together. Sean looks at him. Lose the purse and I'll take you seriously. Corey responds, but it goes with my shoes. I like that in a moment where we have to do a typical hey man, get rid of that purse. Corey responds, very seriously, but it goes with my shoes. We balance it out a lot on the show, where sometimes we make the easy, obvious joke and then balance it out with the very you know sure. Amy walks over to Chet, is everything okay? Oh, Verna's just having one of her bouts, and then we see Verna nervously shifting cocktails, umbrella over foam cups. Chet whispers to Amy, you have any female calming pills in that purse? She admits, not that I and she admits not that I can spare. It's I just want to know what pills they are and if I could have some. Okay, thank you. Then there is a knock at the door and Eric quickly announces that's my lift, thanks for having me. Alan stops him before he can walk out. Nobody's getting off this island, Gilligan. Chet opens the door and it's mister under from next door. They're having an emergency meeting of the trailer park Homeowners Association, and he strongly suggests that try to Chet attends, Chet camped he's got company, but Luther emphasizes again it's an emergency. Chet tells everyone to party on before leaving with his neighbor, and now outside the trailer, a confused Chet turns the corner to see a large group of men in flannels angrily waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Such an old talk about how we felt like this.
Speaker 3: It felt like that farmhouse, yes over there, over there.
Speaker 1: It's just it would have been so easy to rationalize, like they parked the car in the wrong place, right, whatever. But the fact that the outsiders, it just becomes a caricature of trailer park people. And it's a bummer. I mean, it's it's the guy's great, the guy who comes up as Herbert Herbert, yeah no.
Speaker 2: And this is also the thing that you that you were talking about earlier. Writers there they're trying to show the cultural difference. So apparently there's this cabal of men that get together at the trail. I mean it doesn't. It's it's like you have to make a criters in Hollywood trying to write what they think life that a trailer park is.
Speaker 1: Like, or just make a cartoon of it in order to make it work, when the actual reality of two families not getting together and not understanding one another even though their kids are friends is such a great theme and it's so good, Like that's such a great thematic, and yeah, it's just you got to make a cartoon of it. It's a bummer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. So an old man with a walking stick slowly makes his way to the front, and Chet is startled to see him. Yes, it is I Herbert. Chet hopes this is just to wish him a happy Thanksgiving and that he hasn't done anything to emerge Herbert from his deep seclusion. Herbert gives a long speech about a land that was below the freeway overpass, and men who saw the land and knew it was good and trailer ready. They all had a common purpose, and there was peace upon this land until today, when Chet brought outsiders into their midst Chet assures them they're very nice people, but Herbert insists they're not from around here, and they look down upon them. The old man shouts enough, Jerry Springer's on. The crowd leaves and.
Speaker 1: That's pretty hysterical. The way he sets up the Jerry Springer thing is like, you think you're just trying to what does he say, Blake. Blake says something like you're just trying to rile up people's emotions, like you're just playing. And then he's like, well, we got to go watch Springer, which is exactly what Spring is so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Springer being on is is a good out.
Speaker 1: The outsiders things like I wanted I wanted them to be outsiders. If if you're gonna make.
Speaker 3: Wait, they're also inside the trailer. They're not even it's not sitting in the middle of the place and they're looking. They're giving scowling looks, and or somebody walks their goat and they're like, oh gosh, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: Would have been to have Eric do something right. Eric have been the clueless yuppie kid thinking he could write whatever, I don't know, do something that that is a faux Paul within the trailer park community that, yes, that's all this emotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it hits on a woman that turns out to be married to one of the guys at the trailer park or something like that. Yeah, something strange, but it's yeah.
Speaker 3: So Luther reiterates, get the Matthews out of the trailer park now. And then we go to a commercial break, and we're back in the Hunter's trailer, now surrounded by cheeses. Verna sadly holds out her spread to the Matthews and embarrassment. Corey and Shawn watch from the couch. I told you this was a great idea, Sean responds, it's an episode of cops waiting to happen. Verna apologizes to Alan and Amy about her previous erratic behavior. She'd like for them to just get back to their uneventful wiki wiki Hawaiian Luau.
Speaker 2: Was Did they ever set that up that there was a Luau themed Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: The idea is that she's delusional, but she is right hallucinating.
Speaker 3: And so then she doesn't.
Speaker 1: The idea is that she is a crazy woman like that she is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chet bursts into the trailer. I hope you all enjoyed your dinner. Thanks for coming. Let's do this again, next share it some neutral third party or for space. Sean says they haven't eaten yet, and Chet grabs Verna and Sean. It's a the small talk part of the evening, so the Matthews can talk amongst themselves and the Hunters will do the same, and they walk outside. Now the Matthews are alone with Corey trying to ease the tension. Eric points his finger at Corey. He did this to them. Eric could be at home in his nice, comfortable house which is built into the ground, but Corey had to drag them to the center of Looneyville. So again another reference to being ready being crazy.
Speaker 2: And also when when was Eric ever about like you're not we're our house is built into the ground, like we're this is all about our family thinking, at least Eric thinking we're better than these people.
Speaker 1: But this, I think, and that is that could have been a good way to go. Actually think. I think Eric being a clueless yuppie who thinks everybody has like widescreen TVs and like, you know, like it could have been a clueless pretentiousness or whatever.
Speaker 3: The football game on, but it's a TV the size of a.
Speaker 1: Hostage radio or whatever. Yeah, yeah, but instead it's yeah it's.
Speaker 3: Alan says he'll handle this in shouts that's a good game. I'm missing. Amy then jumps in assuring Corey meant, well, I know that Shawn's got your best friend, but we never really made friends with his parents. Cory asks why, just because dad makes more money than Sean's dad, that's why we can't sit down and have a nice meal together. Alan tells Corey he won't realize this until he grows up, but being right is not necessarily enough to change the way people feel.
Speaker 1: That's the line. That's the line that I love. It's like so loret intelligent line delivered by rusty fatherly advice that is actually brilliant and deliver exactly effortlessly. And man, what a what a line. I was like, still thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I know, I liked it too. I especially liked it because I liked that it was in my mind, making it clear that we're not trying to say that the Matthews are outright judging these people, that the Hunters actually feel bad about themselves and therefore everything everything the Mathew say comes off to them as a perceived slight because they are viewing it through the lens of insecurity, and that then eases the tension needed to come from the Mathew side, because you're already setting up. Even if we don't do anything that makes them that should make them feel insecure, they're going to feel insecure anyway, and it's going to be hard for them to accept us into their home. So yeah, it's that. I liked that part. We cut to the outside of the trailer, where the Hunters have congregated. Chet says, I told you what would happen if you invited those aristocrats down here. Sean asks if he's going to kick his friend's parents out, and Chet tells him no, but he is going to hurry them along. Just then, Corey, Eric and Morgan walk outside. Chet frantically asks, what are you doing here where you can be seen through a scope. Corey says they're just taking Morgan over to herman's trailer. Chet offers Sean to go with them so he can show them Matthews how the locals like to walk real load to the ground. Sean tells Corey he's sorry, and Corey says he's sorry too. Then Sean leads the way doing a military crouched walk and the others follow in the same manner, and then we're back in the Hunter's trailer. Alan, Amy, Verna, and Chett are all eating together and Chet hurriedly shouts ready for pye. Alan says he just got his turkey, and Amy asks, don't you think we ought to wait for the kids. It's a Hunter family tradition, Chet explains, the kids don't eat and it's time for pie. Allan tries cutting his turkey and he breaks his plastic fork. What's that make three, he jokingly asks. Verna hands him a giant bag of plastic forks, and Amy comments, I guess it's good to have a big old bag of forks around. Alan says this time he'll try and find a sturdier one. Chet huffs, Ory, you could go easy on the one you got. Alan agrees he'll just use the little forky part of the one he's got. Erna says, yeah, so cute. Verna says, if our dinner guest is not comfortable with our plastic wear, I think it's only right we accommodate him with a regular metal fork. Chet suggests everyone gets a metal fork then, but Verna is uncomfortable because her forks don't match. Amy tries to be relatable. She remembers when her and Allen's forks and spoons didn't match when they were first starting out first. That's the line that I was like, maybe, like, would she have ever said that? Would that be something?
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's a good Yeah, I just don't think it played all that great. Like I feel like this this moment could have used another tape because I think the point is that she says it not thinking, but the way Betsy delivers it almost sounds like she's considering it, and then it doesn't land like it should land awfully, like it should be like oh, and instead that's not how it's blade. So I could have used another take a little. Jeff McCracken note.
Speaker 3: This because was very awkward, and Amy realizes her mistake. Verna hangs her head in embarrassment. Alan addresses the elephant in the room. The four of them just aren't working. Amy appreciates that they went out of their way for them, and Verna gets it. Sometimes what's important to realize is some folks just don't blend well together, and Alan says, doesn't make it anybody's fault, and Amy assures them the kids will understand, And then we're at the trailer park outside Frankie and Herman's house. Corey and Sewn are helping set up this backup dinner outside of the Stacchino's trailer, and Corey admits, I know we're having dinner with that.
Speaker 5: This is Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand where the kids are supposed to be eating. I thought they were calling over for just for pie. Why Morgan wanted to go before they eat doesn't make.
Speaker 3: Anything, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And why now they thought they were going to be eating at the Hunter's trailer and before dinner to go have dinner? Yea?
Speaker 3: Is he not joining them for thanks saving?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I figured Va Vader was doing a Thanksgiving brawl somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, when we were doing the recap for last week, I was like, oh, you know, Vader will be right this episode, but not in this.
Speaker 3: Corey admits his parents have been acting like jerks. Sean says his parents didn't exactly go out of their way to make them feel welcome either. Why can't they just hang out together?
Speaker 2: Were they acting like jerks? I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's his parents go out of his way. I feel like that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They feel like their parents went out of their way to welcome them into the trail.
Speaker 1: Everybody's working.
Speaker 2: Yes, That's why none of that made sense to me. It's like, wait a minute, everybody was really trying here, get that, Like, sorry about my parents, what did they do? Sorry about my parents? What did they do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think in order for this episode to work, you have to make one set of parents or both sets of parents caricatures, and our show, to its credit, was not willing to do that, and so you end up having to offload the caricatures to help people were crazy people in order to make the Hunters crazy, or you may burna anxious and neurotic in or to make that okay. But yeah, the Matthews are so nice and the Hunters are so nice. It's everyone really really, it should have been that we've never met Sean's family before this episode, and then you just make Sean's parents ridiculous, right, yeah, and then it would have been a fun episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Frankie walks out holding a turkey in answers. Adults are not narrow minded by nature. They can, however, be set in their ways. He compares them to the Whotos and the Tutsis. They pass on hatred throughout generations, so it's what they've grown accustomed to. Corey wonders, are we the only people on this planet who don't know who the Hutoos and the Tutsis are?
Speaker 1: And this is where I move on Ben's laugh, never walking a laugh his laugh, So yeah, I start moving in front, like Ben has the joke about the Hutuos, and I am like completely I ruined his joke. So no, to writer.
Speaker 2: Several notes will hold.
Speaker 3: Sean should have holds, but he doesn't. He instead admits they're rants, maybe working for them though Corey asks, you mean if we knew better, we wouldn't be friends. Sean says he's happy they don't know better. Great natural raid. Frankie announces the table as in order, it's time for them to eat. Corey hesitantly asks if it's okay they join, and herman exclaims there is always room for more at our table. Luther is now watching from nearby, joined by a man I can only describe as having serial killer vibes.
Speaker 2: Frankie explains from life, Corey.
Speaker 3: Explains their family thanksgiving custom of going around the table and saying what you were thankful for. Eric, happy to be one step closer to eating, says he's thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with his family and all his friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Actually, the first thing he says is kind of dickish. Again, He's like, I'm happy. It's like you can't even just say something nice about It's just it wasn't very Eric this week. The Rue characters.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just a matter of I'm star I'm ready to get to the.
Speaker 1: Mill is kind of funny actually, and lean into it a little bit more, I guess not but but but but the the point is that in this context, he's a yuppie, right, Like the point should be that he expects a big TV and nice things and that they certainly doesn't have it. And it's suddenly like I'm out of my element. I don't know how to act. And that would have been really funny, and it would have.
Speaker 2: Been funny just but they didn't do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he's also thankful that they're taping the game. Frankie is thankful for their guests and the food they can provide Herman then lovingly looks at Morgan, I'm thankful to be sitting next to this delicate blossom who has won my heart.
Speaker 2: So cute.
Speaker 3: Morgan says she's thankful to be sitting at the kids table. Then Sean looks at Corey. I'm thankful you're my friend.
Speaker 1: Great, beautiful, wonderful Corey Sean moment. I mean, that's why this episode does ultimately work. Work is because the Corey Sean dynamic is amazing, but also just the storyline is great. I love this idea of like, yeah, because it's so true, Like we have already and my kid's only nine, we have friends that we're friends with mostly because our kids get along, you know, and you know that that olner continues as they get older. And that's so interesting. That's such a cool dynamic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Corey responds, I'm thankful that my parents taught me to like people for who they are, even if they weren't lucky enough to be raised that way themselves. And then it's revealed that Amy, Alan, Chet, and Verna are nearby and shocker, they've heard everything. Alan admits I feel about two inches tall. Chet says that's two inches taller than he feels. Amy asks if they can all try this again, and Verna says it would be a shame to waste all that cheese. Chet then walks over to Luther and his night stockersh Pal, offering them a spot at their emergency meeting of the human race. Alan clears his throat and asks the kids if they have room. Corey smiles, There's always room for more at our table. Alan pulls up a seat for Verna, and Chet accommodates Amy with a lawn chair. Luther and sketchy flannel man disgustingly watch on and slink away, presumably to hide some of that man's victims in a nearby freezer. Yes, and then everyone cheers their red drinks and celebration of their Thanksgiving dinner, and we freeze on a picture of unity. And then we're in the tag Phoene's classroom, back from break. Phoene is handing back the graded papers on the Hutus and the tutsis congratulating the class on above average performances. Phoene purposefully passes Sean and he asks, don't I get mine? Did you recycle it already? Phoene motions to Sean to come up to his desk. Can't just fail me privately, he gotta brave heart me up here. Phoene asks, I simply wondered if you would read your paper to the class starting here. Sean is confused, but he reads aloud. I spent this Thanksgiving with the Hutus and the Chutsis, which is surprising because he lives in Philadelphia and he thought that kind of prejudice based on class differences only happened in underdeveloped countries. Sean turns to Phoenie, asking if that's enough. He's getting vertigo from facing the opposite way in the classroom, and Feenie urges him to go on. People can be just as cruel in a developed country. And the thing that gives Sean hope is that if children are educated about the dangers of prejudice and intolerance, there will be a reason for Thanksgiving in the future.
Speaker 1: And this, you know what My problem as an actor, a major problem as an actor, is my my tendency towards sentimentality. And I will always play the sentimental moment, and this I play against it perfectly. It's really good, Sean, just being goofy Sean and saying something incredibly sentimental, and I play against it. I was so I was like, oh, look at that right. He did it right, dude, like just throw it away and I did it very away.
Speaker 3: But it's ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, very Williams.
Speaker 1: I should have been watching him as an actor and just taking my lessons instead. Maybe we got three more No, we got three seasons of mope, mope, mopiness hitting it on the head, mopiness. I mean, maybe not this season, but certainly from five, five, six, and seven.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to see Phoenix.
Speaker 3: I know you don't know.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the cold episode lately? I know I think I'm just screaming and crying. I believe I'm screaming and crying to the pop.
Speaker 2: Have to see.
Speaker 3: Phoene states, that's the best work you've ever done, mister Hunter. He pulls out a red sharpe C minus.
Speaker 2: Sean is thrilled.
Speaker 3: Phoene shakes his head, laughing, Sean got an A plus. Phoene assures him, I'm just as shocked as you are. Topanga and Corey are smiling proudly at Sewan as he walks back to his seat. Shawn teeses Corey, I'm better than you are now, and we cut to Phoenie, who's smiling happily at his desk, and that's our episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man could have used to rewrite because that that opening with the classroom opening and closing with the classroom is so great. The conflict of the issue of Sean and and Corey wanted to bring her families together is so great. I do think that the all of them ending up at the table to get at there's so much good about this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually think if we really for me, at least I can point to on one hand moments that didn't land well for me, and the rest of it I loved. Yeah, yeah, you know, Yeah, there are a couple of moments and a couple of beats that I go ooh, that needs some retooling, But overall great, I still really like this episode.
Speaker 2: Cool good.
Speaker 3: So anyway, thank you for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram podmeets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have.
Speaker 2: March Rider likes Twilight March.
Speaker 3: Podmeets Worldshow dot com. Join us for our next episode recap, which, as we have mentioned before, we are going in DVD order and that DVD order is out of Disney Plus's order, so the next episode we are recapping is season four, episode twelve on Disney Plus, which is called an Affair to for So wherever you are watching, make sure you watch an Affair to Forget It Originally aired November twenty ninth, nineteen ninety six. We Love You All pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com