Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Morning, everybody in Steve j n V Jess hilarious, Charlamagne the guy.
Speaker 4: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: We got a special guest in the building, indeed, boxing legend and icon, Andre Ward. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome, Yes, sir, happy to be here. Now you're feeling I'm good man, happy to be here.
Speaker 2: How are you, sir?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm good man. I'm juggling, you know, but it's all good. I'm working it out well.
Speaker 5: I hope you all read Andrea Ward's book Already Killing the Image of Champions, Journey of Faith, Fighting and Forgiveness. You've always been like notoriously, you know, private with your personal life to a certain extent. How did you know now was the time to reveal it all in the book?
Speaker 1: Man, It's been it's been a it's been a few years coming, you know. You know, I've said it many times, you know, promoting this book, like I'm an eighties baby, you know, and I was raised to not share my business, my family's business, you know. And it's it's not about this day and age because people overshare that. People think that like being private is some weird. You know, some some sneaky about you with you hi, and it's like, nah, that's a superpower to like keep my business to myself and I and I share it. So but as I'm getting in the game and I'm mentoring a lot of guys, you know, I'm trying to tell I'm like, bro, I understand what you're going through. I've been there, done that. And they're like, nah, you've always been like this. And it's like, nah, bro, like I'm telling you, I did more than you. So I started getting discontent and start feeling like, man, they don't have the full story. And I was talking to my pastor man and he was like, Dray, you got to kill the image. And I'm like, what you mean. He was like, Nah, who you are is real, but it's not who you've always been. You can tell that story now for people.
Speaker 3: That don't know who andre Ward is and how you got in the box, and break that down a little bit.
Speaker 4: What got you into boxing? What made you love boxing?
Speaker 1: My daddy, My daddy, I was My first love was baseball. You know, I was a picture on the short stop, but I was always competitive, always, you know, just competitive, like I'm a sore winner and a sore loser. And my daddy started telling me about his amateur careers. You know, he was at fifteen of ois a heavyweight. And I'm like, what you mean you box? And my dad, you know, like I said, he raised me as a single parents. I'm like, I want to do it. I didn't even think about it. And that was like, that was the first seed. That was song and my dad being my dad, you know, and I talk about this in the book. You're like, and we're gonna do it. We're gonna do it right, You're not gonna quit. But the first day I walked in that gym, man, it was love at first sight. And I didn't even really understand what that was. I just knew the sights and the sounds, the speedbag, the heavy bag, you know, the smells of the gym, you know, hearing people ha ha ha, hitting the bag and sparring. I knew I loved it. I knew I loved it. I wasn't very good when we first started. Was hard on you, very but that's why my dad couldn't train me. You know. My dad was you know, he was all or nothing. You know, I told you to get your ble bleep, hands up, man, just what you're doing? Move your head and me I would shut down. I don't respond to that. And shortly after I started, we met Virgil, my godfather, lifelong trainer, and Versese had a different finessa body. You know. He would he would, hey, baby, try this, dude, get your hands up now. I responded to that. So my dad was wise enough to pass me on the verse.
Speaker 5: We don't hear those stories enough about single fathers. Yes, how did that impact you? Not have a mother in house? You always hear about having a father now.
Speaker 1: Man, The good part of it was I got to see a man get up every day and go to work. My father would always say, you know, I got my struggles. And my father he struggled with heroin addiction, but he was a functional at it, and my mother was a full blown at it. You know, she was in San Francisco, I'm in the East Bay and she's completely in her addiction. And my dad will say, I don't care what I'm going through. I'm not leaving, you know. So just seeing him get up every day, he owned his own business, get up every day and go to work. He struggled a night he had that monkey on his back when he came home. But that showed me what manhood was about. That gave me a strength about me and a confidence about me. Not having a mother there that I didn't have that nurture. I was raised by a bachelor. I didn't have that that that that gentleness, that balanced thattive that a young man needs. So now when I get into a relationship, I wonder why I got mistrust and distrust for this young lady, my wife Tiffany that I'm that I say I love. I can't see the trust because the most important woman in my life at the time, she wasn't there. So it took me time, Charlotte Mane to start realizing the mother woman. We talk about father woman, but the mother woman that I had going into adulthood and how that followed me. And I didn't realize this until later in life, and I had to do a lot of work, and you know, I'm in a much better place now, but not having my mother there, it definitely impacted me for sure.
Speaker 2: How did you get over that?
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, how did you get over there? I mean, not having a mom in your life?
Speaker 3: Like you said, that sensitive side, that nurturing inside because you know Dad, especially in that.
Speaker 4: Era, is you full get your ass back. You better not cry.
Speaker 3: That was Dad's back then, but you didn't have that other side of Mom said, well, let me let me hug you, let me hold up, so let me make you feel better.
Speaker 4: So how did you get over it?
Speaker 1: I mean, the first thing is just identifying what it was. Took a lot of une to get there, you know what I'm saying, because I'm you know, I'm not trusting and I'm blaming her. I'm not you know, loving her the way I should, and I'm blaming her. And it just took me. You know, really, when I crossed over and got out the streets and really settled down and gave my life to God, I started really being able to hear my thoughts and really put the patterns together, and then remember the struggles that my dad had, Like man, my dad struggled with this too. And then getting around you know, they say a few good me and my pastor and a couple of good core brothers that I have, and just them helping me identify certain things and talking through that stuff. And for me, when I talk through things with the right person, it's cathartic. It's it's therapeutic, like even writing a book, Like it's a lot of pain, you pulling off old scabs and old wounds, but the end is it is good. So really just identifying what it was, understanding what it was, acknowledging it, and then allowing the help to help me.
Speaker 5: I wonder how did that how you talking about your wife, but I'm talking about this relationship with women period? Yeah, how did that affect you? Not having a mom? How did you look at women like throughout your whole life?
Speaker 1: Man? Like I said, it was just distrust and mistrust.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Did it ever come to a point like where your wife where y'all want a verge of divorce or separation or what?
Speaker 7: She just always very patient and understood from the jump.
Speaker 1: Oh no, we went at it for sure. Yeah yeah, but you know you got to realize too. We started super young, like first first child we met in high school. First child sixteen years old, second child eighteen years old. And I'm living with Verge. Like I said, my godfather, Trainer and his wife and she mad were going at it and vergis sit us down, this is how you want to carry yourself as a wife, and as a woman dre and he I felt like he was always taking her side, Like, why you're always taking her side? Nah, you said, listen, I'm trying to I'm trying to help you. Man, sit down and stop talking. And he would just sit us down and break it down. He would open the wordness. I mean, that's how you're supposed to carry yourself. Now, look when he go to the gym, and this is again we're seventeen, eighteen years old, nineteen years old. He go to the gym all day. Don't as soon as he come through the door, start yelling at him and telling him what he didn't do. You got to give him a chance to unwind, take a shower, eat, and then go talk to him. So I see her listening. Then he get on me, man, you need to stop reacting like that. Bro, you tripping. It was that type of counseling that we had that wasn't even like formal counseling, but it was him sitting down and this is in the middle of him going through his own personal marital stuff. He would sit us down to educate us about what he believed a wife was supposed to look like bek and what a husband was supposed to be like and it was a lie.
Speaker 7: And this is as growing up as teenagers, y'all grew up together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she is from Seattle and I'm from the Bay. And my half brother, I don't call him my habits my brother. But you know, we got different different moms, different different same father, different mothers. We went to high school together for you know, to I think his junior year and my sophomore year. He went back to Seattle. I went to go visit him. I met her. That's how we locked in, and you know, I talk about it in the book. For me, it was love at first sight. I'm like, man, who is that? You know? What's her name? And we locked in, you know, that weekend and we've been together ever since. But it got to a point where I'm ripping and running. I'm going up there to see you. I'm getting on Greyhound twenty hour bus ride from from North Oakland to Seattle because I'm with you know what I'm saying, And I know I don't know what love is completely, but but I feel like I love her. And VERSE said, look, man, what is it gonna take for you to stop running into this wall? And because we got three years bro before the Olympics. What is it gonna take you? I said, I want her with me, and he brought her down and that's where we live with them, and I'm trying to chase my dream and clean my life up and get myself together and get ready for these Olympics. But she was also there with me.
Speaker 3: How did they know you were the one when it came to boxing, you know, because everybody, I mean, you go to these gym everybody like that. Everybody thinks they one. You go to Gleasings and everybody's like that the next How did they know that you were the one out of all at what was the That's something that somebody seen.
Speaker 1: I think it didn't start out like that, you know, Like I said, I think it just started out something I wanted to do and I went in there and I had to really pay my dues the first couple of years, like I was getting beat all over the ring because.
Speaker 4: You said the Olympics, like you were ready for it.
Speaker 1: But it got to a certain point where once I overcame in that gym after that first year, we call it being battle tested. Once I got battle tested in that gym, then it was like all right, let's go to the nationals. Once I won my first national title at ten years old in nineteen ninety six, I actually beat Curtis Stevens, who from Brooklyn, Brownsville, and he was my rival. Once I did that, I think everybody starts saying, to man, he could be the one. And it sounds crazy, right I'm ten years old. But I kept winning, and I kept winning, and then we start, you know, vergis the counters in. But we got nine years to the Olympics. We got seven years, and I just I turned into this prodigy and I gave up my whole childhood to do it. So it went for me looking like I might not have it to all of a sudden, He's gonna be the one. So at a certain point it became a fourgone conclusion. I'm gonna through the limps, want to go medal turn pro, win championships and make a lot of money. Like that just was the conversation in my home. It sounds crazy, but that's what it was.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to your parents just for a couple more questions.
Speaker 5: Were you ever afraid that the disease of addiction would would get you?
Speaker 1: It did get me. Oh man, it did get me. And it wasn't a long time, but it was long enough. I had a two three year stint where you know, some people say generational curses, some people say generational patterns. They had me and I was already you know, dibbling with weed and starting to drink, probably sixteen years old. I mean it really stemmed from this. I believe, like I said, my mother was a full blown attict. My daddy was a functional attic. Once I started realizing that my dad was struggling and I no longer was buying the lines, and I'm just you know, he would my dad would go to work all day and he would come home and you know, talk to me and my brother, and he would go up in that room and he would always had a water run and it'd be like an hour or two hours. When my daddy came out, his face was flushed and he just acting funny, slurring, and I didn't I didn't understand what was going on. Then I started putting it together. I found a needle. I'm questioning him about that. Then I got to the age where I'm like, man, you're getting high. Then that bitterness and that resentment and all that anger started to rise up. So what I do is I go to what's familiar to my family, alcohol and drugs. But I'm hiding at this point. When my father dies at at eighteen years old, that was my excuse just to go buck wow. And I did.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 3: Jess and I were talking about this a couple of weeks ago, and this is a new judgment zone. But I always wanted to know, like when you see something affect your family in a negative way, right, think we were talking about bow Wow bow. I was talking about he see mac millerdo lean and passed away from it, but then he tried it. And I always wanted to know the mind frame of somebody seeing it destroyed somebody but saying I'm gonna try it, I can overcome, right, Like, what's that mind frame? Because you see what it's, what it's doing, and you see what it does, but you still say, fuck it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 1: It depends, Bro. You gotta realize it's forces behind them, generational curses. It ain't just natural. It's forces behind and them forces follow you generationally, and you don't have to give into it. But once you open that door and you say, yeah, I'm gonna try this now it's home. And I wasn't emotionally mentally mature enough to be able to make those decisions. All I knew was I was hurting. I'm dealing with depression. I'm dealing with anxiety, and I don't know that that's what it is. All I know is when I drink something or when I smoke something, I don't feel that way no more. That edge is taken on temporarily. But once I got myself together and you know, I got clean and I got I kicked all of that stuff. Then I started thinking the way you said, I'm never gonna touch that again. I gotta do something different from my kids. But I wasn't at that stage. I didn't have that kind of strength and power. And it's interesting too, because my dad, my grandfather Herold. He was an a functional alcoholic great man, but he had a drinking problem. My dad vowed I never touched a drink because because my dad only told me he loved me when he was when he was drunk, and he never did. But then he turned the hair. So it's a slippery slope.
Speaker 5: Would you say you replaced one addiction with another. When you took up boxing.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say I replaced it. I would say, man, I got free, And I would say that I just channeled who I am as a person that drive, that focused towards the right thing. You know. I don't look at boxing like an addiction, and I always have tried to. And it's not easy. Man. I don't want to sit here and act like it's an easy thing. But I've always tried to keep that sport in its proper place because I knew it was end one day. And I'm fortunate that God always put me around people who would walk that walk. My pastor Napoleon Coffee and form a raider. He played All American in college, six years as a as a professional runner back, and then he did. He went in the ministry and never looked back. I had him to talk to me, Dray, listen, man, this is what you do. It's not who you are. Guy's got other stuff for you. Bro Hey, enjoy it, give it all you got, but it's not gonna always be there. So I had people like that in my ear. So when the time came, the impact wasn't It's hard.
Speaker 5: What effected losing your father have on you, and what was your relationship.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, my dad was my mother and my father. For many many years, that was my everything, and it is had a profound effect and I still feel it to this day. Now the thing isn't as as strong, but I had times when I'm with my kids and I just drift off and I'm thinking, like, man, my dad can see this right now. He lived long enough to see my first child, dre Jr. And Tiffany was pregnant with our second child, Malachi, and then he passed in two thousand and two. I have moments like that. I think about how my career would have been different if my dad was here. I think about me helping my dad and giving back to him and buying in my house or just you know, just just doing life for him. I wish I had my father there to talk about life. I got questions, man, even at forty years I just turned forty. Men, I'm still trying to figure it out. I think about that stuff all the time. Charlote Mane. It was a devastating loss, man, devastating loss. But I don't want to ever say I got over it. But I've been able to cope with it, deal with it, and you know, uh, hopefully make him proud with the life that I.
Speaker 7: Lived because you were retired at thirty three. Yeah young? Yeah all that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so if your dad was here, you would have would have gone longer, you believe.
Speaker 1: So, I don't know what, Like my dad loved boxing, but he wouldn't like my dad was always focused on the man, you know, Like he was always focused on me and my character and type of person that he was always big on that. So I don't my dad. I don't think my dad would have been trying to push me to stay in the sport. I think it probably would have been the opposite. He might have wanted me to end it a little bit earlier than when I did it.
Speaker 2: How did you know it was time then?
Speaker 5: Because he was undefeated, Like yeah, relatively young in the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like what made you? How did you know it's time to hang the gloves up?
Speaker 1: Man? I started feeling it two three years before I did it, And I would always ask the other athletes, man, how did you know? And they would all say the same thing. You just gonna know. You're gonna wake up one day and you don't want to do it. So I started here and myself Charlotte Mayne say that our word retired three four years before. I would just say stuff and I'd be like, bro, what you just said and I and I would I would be aware of that. I'm self aware, like yo and you talking like that. But I still had to drive. I'm still looking good, I'm still sharp, and went through the laws suit Perior with my promoter, going through that where you know, money going out and no money coming in, and I'm like, look, man, I'm gonna end this on my terms. They trying to start me out. If I'm gonna go out, I'm gonna go out of my own term. My pastor like, nah, I don't do it. My wife like it's too is premature, don't do it. Don't don't send that that letter out you just wrote and got through that. Had my run with rock Nation for three years, and uh, it got to the point after the first COVID Left fight, I thought I was done. After that, my body was starting to break down. You know, I've had multiple knee surgeries and stuff and it wasn't boxing related. It's just all the preparation, all the training, and man, you just want your freedom back, Like I'm the type of person that when I do something, I really do it like I'm locked in, Like it's just the way I am. I didn't want to be that guy all the time. My body's starting to break down. My kids were in high school. It was like all these mitigating circumstances Charlotte, Maine that start adding up, and you know, I'm I'm a numbers cruncher, so I'm crunching the numbers like, man, okay, if I get this just this much on my money every year, And it wasn't it Just like my pastor was like, Bro, you're not gonna be able to figure that out. You're gonna have to step out on face. So if you if you want to walk, you gotta walk in fake. If you're gonna stay, you gotta stay in faith. So I went and talked to him after COVID aed one and I was like, man, I think I'm done. I haven't been in the gym in three months, and that's not like me. I'm like, man, I have no desire to be in no gym. I just fought the dude that they said I wasn't gonna fight and want a close decision everybody say, all you lost you listen, I said, but what am I doing this for? And he sat there. I just I just knew he was gonna co sign what I was saying. He sat there, he was like, I think I can see you doing one more and I'm like, yeah, but I ain't got to this. They said, once you go death fire, come back. And I remember leaving his office disappointed because every time I talk about retirement, every time I talk about getting my freedom back, somebody always giving me a reason to stay. So it's weird, right, Like I knew I was gonna miss it, but I'm also fighting to get out of it. And this is after I did this since I was nine. So people don't do the math. You're just thirty three, But you got to date that back to nine years old and the toad that that takes mentally, physically, emotionally, the things that I missed, the things that I couldn't be a part of, and do the pressure that I have on me. I hadn't lost a fight since I was fourteen years old. That's pressure. So you get to a point that even though I can do this, I don't know if I want to do this. Win fal covilet the second time, and I knew it was time.
Speaker 5: When you say freedom, like, what do you mean like the simple things like wanting to eat what you want to eat, or not having to be on the training regimen.
Speaker 2: Like what do you mean when you say freedom?
Speaker 1: Boxing consumes you? I feel like it has to if you're gonna be elite. Like if I was on this trip right now, I would have to be doing the math. When was the last time I ran? Like I eat now, I try to eat good for my health, but I would have to eat good for performance. Right where you weigh at? Well, hey man, you when you're coming back all of that kind of stuff. I was always on the clock, always an obligation, always on the clock, and nobody put more pressure on me than me. So I was tired of myself. I need a break for me, because I know how I get with competition. I need a break for me. And it's been a blessing, though I miss it to not have to be on the clock in the builder to enjoy my life and say I don't have nowhere to be. Sometimes I go to the gym, the gym, I go to uh the lab in Sarahmont, my boy, my boy, Bobby owns it and uh, they won't see me for a week. Where you at brother, I said, Bro, I got time in. I deserve to miss a week or two. If I want to miss a week or two. That feels good to be able to do that. I wouldn't be able to do that if I was active.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question. You said you were undefeated since fourteen. Do you feel like and I asked every boxing when they going pare do you feel like? That undefeated category messes up boxing now where people instead of fighting fights, they just they're looking for the perfect fight to keep it undefeated, to keep the money coming in, to keep the sponsorships, to keep the pay per views big.
Speaker 4: Because you and Floyd kind of after the game.
Speaker 1: With that, it is messing up the game a little bit, but it's also the game. The game is messing up the game in some respects, and the fighters are messing up the game in some respects, right. And what I mean is we put a lot of stock into a loss in box and MM, don't do that. You got cats that are still revered, respected all that they got six to seven loss. But he's that name, he's that guy we respect him. It's not like that. In boxing. If if a young guy coming up, if Javonte davisor Stevenson Debnhady take a loss, oh my goodness, they take a loss. Now used to be.
Speaker 4: Like that though, it used to be all these amazing like nobody cared. You come back and get a rematch. But now you lose, it's like, oh, it's finished.
Speaker 1: So so that's part of it is the game, the way the game responds to us. And then it is the fighters, right Like some guys have to fight competition to make good money. But if you crack the code and you able to have a fan base without fighting top competition, where's the motivation to fight top competition. So you had pretty Boy Floyd the first ten years of his career where he had to get it out the money, improve and show and scratch for every dollar. Then he crossed over to money. May now can fight who I want to fight. So the youngsters, they don't want the pretty Boy Floyd era, they want the money May wear the air. That's what the game is doing right now. So it's pros and cons because for so many years fighters took huge risk and got no money. So if I'm an air on the side, I'm gonna say, may get your money, say you the best, even though you ain't fought the best. I'll respect your hustle. You able to get it that way. But for so many years it was the opposite. So now it's shifted. So I think it's it's a fine line, right because everybody want you to go fight that person right now, do this. We'll hold on to make sure the money right, make sure that the business hander will do that. So it's pros and cons to the era that we're in right now in boxing.
Speaker 5: I think about stuff like that, right, And I just used somebody like Canelo as an example. He's an all time great, but then there's certain fights we wanted to see, like maybe you you you and Canelo. Even now they say him and Benavidez, and I'm like, well, if he doesn't fight Bena Videz, do you really put that as a strike against him?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Really, And the Canelo fans they call me a hater because I'm telling the truth. Like me and this guy Canell, we never had we never looked each other's way, different way, class, and we we shouldn't have like we he didn't, And people say Canelo duck me. He didn't duck me. The only reason why we brought up in the same categories because we had a common opponent, Sergeykvilet When I retire, so people start connecting the docs. Now you fought him, fight dre now called Dre out, So I don't I'll never say Canelo ducked me, because he didn't. We wasn't even on his radar, wasn't on my radar. But in terms of his resume, it's a little website called boxreck dot com. And if you know what you're looking at, you can look at them, the opponents that he fought right and people say he fought this name and fought the name. Where did he fight that name? When he fought him? He thirty two, he coming off two losses. He thirty five. Cole when he fought Colder coche Leve was cooked. He wasn't a crusher, He wasn't the undefeated guy. He had lost that And I'm not knocking the hustle. But you lose me when you start seeing I'm the best fighter in the world, or you lose me when you feel like you don't have to fight the best. But then everybody else gotta fight the best. Canelo is a is a really good fighter, man, But you don't really know how good you are until you fight the other best. Now, you shouldn't fight other top guys every fight out. That's not wise and that's not safe. You need tune up fights, you need you know, you need them kind of fight. But when most of your fights are like that, come on, man.
Speaker 5: But if Benevidez was to beat him, now, wh and people say the same thing, Oh, Canelo is older, he been in the ring a long time, maybe he lost.
Speaker 1: That's the risk you take. That's the risk you take.
Speaker 4: Who's the best, the best boxer of all time?
Speaker 1: To you? Man? Why that's come on?
Speaker 2: And that's asking the man who's ranking number twelve.
Speaker 1: All time. Yes, sir, it's tough that we can go back and forth about that forever. I look at it like who are my greats? Right? Like who are my goats? And Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather. That's my era. I'm a hybrid of all three of those guys. And of course you got the sugar Ray Robinson's if you're talking all time, you got Muhammad Ali if you're talking all time.
Speaker 4: But why those three individuals? Why Banard, Why Floyd?
Speaker 1: That's who I gazed at, That's who I took for Roy. I'm a hybrid of all three of them. I can shift and be Bernard Hopkins one round, I can be Floyd Mayweather in the next round. I can be a young Roy Jones the next round. That's who I looked up to. That's who I stole from the most. So those those are my three goats. But I'm also, like I said, Robinson, Alex, you can't leave them dudes and other people. Salvador Sanchez, you know Mexican fighter that you know he died in a car accident, lost his life very very early, great fighter. He would have continued to win. So we can go back and forth about that all all day long. But I look at it like, who are yo Grace? Who are yo goats? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want to go back to just Canelo real quick, but who.
Speaker 1: So a lot of guys he in fun three times, like maybe I just know too much? Maybe I just know too much?
Speaker 2: Like what's missing from his run?
Speaker 1: He didn't even want to fight HBO. Preston made Glufkin getting the ring after one of his fights and call him out, so he had to respond and do that, and most of their fights were controversial. So it's like Canelo is a good fighter, man, But like, and that's why even when people talk about Floyd, I don't I never say Floyd duck this, when the duck that. When Floyd had ten years of giving you all them kind of fights and he still took some tough fights even when he was getting older. But he earned the right to pick and choose at a certain point. I'm the show. Hasn't you gotta fight good and then you gotta pick. Then you gotta fight a guy that's not it's too much ducking. It is too much, man, bro. I can go down the list like it's but it keeps happening though, Like this guy could rise up and then he ducked that dude. He just wants to pay day, Like, yeah, they want to pay day. That's the that's the position what you think to see it. So I just feel like, man, when it's a guy that's a threat, like even even dmitriy bev all the due you lost to you got to give him credit for going up and wait, but I feel like he miscalculated though. That was a miscalculation and if you the all time great, don't you want to get that back?
Speaker 5: And he says he wants three masses, But you know it's so interesting, that's that's the keto.
Speaker 1: He says he wants to remas. It's not gonna happen. So you got you got ben a v there's right now, or you got Terres Crawford. Right, Oh, there's no credit if I fight Tarres Crawford. Well, you fought a mere kan that was way smaller than you and you knocked him out cold in Las Vegas at the tem Mobleson. I was there. You didn't feel no type of way about that. But now Terres Crawford, it's too small and you won't get credit. We gotta we gotta be consistent. So I'm qualified to speak about this stuff and speak out against it because it's all kind of double standards in the game. So I try to mind my business and then when I'm asked about it, I'm gonna be honest. I'm gonna be honest. Good fighter. Box Office got his country behind. You got to give him credit for all the marketing and the money man, get that. But when you start talking about breaking down these resumes and start talking about who's the greatest and you and you mentioned yourself with other all time Mexican greats. You gotta have a kind of conversation about that.
Speaker 2: You don't think two fights are having Crawford and uh uh.
Speaker 1: It's not looking like it, but like, but like the Golufkin situation, if they if they press him enough, he may give in. But listen, bro, get your money. But at some point, every now and again, you got a total line and so you you the next one come on, and he's just not doing that. There's no there's no appetite to do that. Is there any boxer that you looked at.
Speaker 4: And like, I would have loved to fight him.
Speaker 1: Ah. Man, it's hard for me to talk about the greats because I got a lot of respect for him. But I would have loved to a fall Floyd. Just the styles really my three Bernard and Floyd at what wait though, huh at what It don't matter, just just a just a fantasy matchup. Yeah, Bernard, Floyd and Roy. I would have loved to have seen my style against their style. It would have been a mirror of themselves. So yeah, that's that's probably the three that that I would have I would have loved to get and really, you know, the fight that should have happened was me and Gelufky Hm that that's a fight that should have happened.
Speaker 2: Why didn't happen?
Speaker 1: He didn't want it?
Speaker 2: Scared, you would say, scared, but you you were a boogeyman.
Speaker 1: I just think, man, guys know they've been around the game long enough where you don't have to be an analyst to be an analyst. They know this guy's a problem for me. And I'm not a bully in the game. You know, he was a He was a smaller weight class than me. He was one sixty. I was one sixty eight. But I take stuff personal. When you start saying that I'm the boogeyman, everybody scared of me. Okay, then you say I'll fight anybody. I'm one sixty, I'll fight you at one sixty eight, which was my weight class, or one seventy five. Now you're gonna get my attention, and I'm gonna speak out. And then when we my team sends you an offer, right and you and you maybe two years from that. Man, come on, bro, I just don't like or respect that kind of stuff. We're fighters, bro, this is what we do. Right. You get lied to me, but you line to the fans. You know, your promoter he to this day when I speak about this stuff, they get mad. All you're lying. They go crazy on soci mean, why you saw emotional of them lying?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What's wrong? I got emails right now that has them turning down the fight. My lawyer said, they turn the fight down less than fifteen minutes. Wow. So it just sometimes a lot of talking, man, and then when it's time to walk, it don't the song and the dance don't line up.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if Oakland make Andrea Ward the man he is today. I'm be honest with you. I've heard you talk a lot.
Speaker 5: I ain't never heard you sign this Oakland.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah, I don't hear it obviously, but yeah, y'all y'all off in the east cause you're from Baltimore.
Speaker 4: I can hear that from Carolina.
Speaker 1: He was talking about it in back. My boy tell you was like, yeall, can hear that at Baltimore? In it? Man, it's just man a city, the city as a whole, just blue collar. And you know, my other brothers from you know, like Marshawn Lynch and many others that come from from Oakland. Man, we just we just like, it's really about action, bro, It's really not about a lot of talking. That's how I carry myself in the game. You know. Uh. Just blue collar and you got that grit and that determination about you. That's what Oakland represents to me. And I love it because they say we're a small market, but but I feel like we got some of the best talent in the world. And I love people saying that step boy from Oakland. And that's what they used to say in the amateur you know here from Oakland because you know, I'm around kids the national You got kids from everywhere, Midwest, East Coast, and they would always, man, you talk weird. I'm like, y'all talk weird to me, Like, and they think California is l A. I'm like, it's not la. I'm I'm in the Bay. And I had to educate them on what the Bay was. I love representing my city. Man, it's just blue collar Farler man, just get it out the mud.
Speaker 5: Other than the accent, you know, in the getting it out the mud, what from Oakland stage with you at all?
Speaker 2: Times.
Speaker 1: I just think. I just think the mentality, like I said, it just blue collar, just willing to roll up your sleeves and work. You know, you got some places where it's a lot of show, right. I think it's where the type of people that when the lights come on and it's time to go to work, we're ready.
Speaker 5: When did you realize you were turning generational curses in the generational blessings.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, man. I think when when I start allowing God to get me together. When I start, my eyes started to get clear, and I started to see things right. When I started to learn what it meant to to mour in my father's death, didn't know what that meant. When I started being honest about where I was and being honest about my emotions and feelings. When I started acknowledging the mother wound and how it was affecting my relationship with Tiffany. Like, when I started like that, I believe that's being a real man. When I was able to humble myself and really start acknowledging these things, I started sensing that I was I was shifting the pair of down the paradine was shifting, and generationally the curse has to stop with somebody, And I believe that God was using me and my wife to stop a lot of the things that have been in our family, generational even even poverty, certain poverty mentalities, And I just believe I was helping me and my wife to break that. So self has started with me. I got to get me right. I can't lead a family. I can't leave my wife, I can't leave my kids. I can't do it unless I'm getting myself together perfect by no means. But I'm saying them blatant things and blatant sins and things that generational things that we're talking about. I can't do those things and be the proper leader.
Speaker 5: But when it comes to God, do you remember the moment, our event that caused you to like really strengthen your faith and your belief.
Speaker 1: My father always gave me a foundation word. And it's interesting because I didn't grow up in the church like that, but my father had an understanding and he would open up the Bible and say, man, you got you know, I probably gave my life to God probably like twenty times when I was a kid, just making sure that didn't worked. You know what I'm saying and just young and not knowing no better. But I always had a respect and a reverence for God. And you know, when I started getting notoriety, like you know, I'm aging myself right now. But the newspapers would come to the school and they would want to do an article on me and my brother. My dad would be like, man, you make sure you give God glory and stuff. And I didn't really fully understand it, and I was scared to do it at that time. My brother, he was outspoken, this dude, we're Christian. I'm like, bro, shut up, bro, like you always like I wasn't there. He was there, but that's where it started. And but that was my father's faith. And then when I start going through life and then I lost him, I was angry at God. I don't want them to do a church. God, nothing like you allowed this to happen. I didn't acknowledge that I was already slipping and tripping before my dad died. It was his fault. And every time I would smoke something, every time I would drink something, every time i'd be in a situation, I felt like my conscience was still there. I wasn't completely gone, but I would think, man, You're not supposed to be doing this, bro, And vergus to tell me. And I talk about this in the book. Verge was not only a boxing trainer, but he worked in a probation department of juvenile all for twenty five years. And Verge had and has a gift for young men. He can look at you and say something, make you laugh, but also get at you at the same time. And he used to sit there in the kitchen man in East Ookland, Man where we lived, and he would say, he say, brother, you ain't gonna get God a gonna let you get away with nothing. And this is when I'm in the thick of it. And I would get mad and be like, man, why you hainte knowing me? Man, I'm just trying to do my thing and live my life. He say, look, man, I hear you, but I'm telling you God ain't gonna let you get away with nothing. And sure enough, I'd be in a car full of dudes. You come here. I couldn't get away with nothing. Could do a little bit, but every time I try to step it up. So those things were starting to chip away at me. And I knew even though I'm still doing I knew, like, man, this ain't gonna last long. I'm not gonna have a long career in the streets. I'm just not. So it was that kind of stuff, Charlemagne. When I'm in a thick of my situation and I'm rejecting him, He's still running after me, right, And it wasn't to the point to where life was really happening. I had another child and stuff just start piling up. I had to look up and have a conversation with God. Man, I had I was off some ecstasy, and I talk about this in the in the in the in the in the beginning of the book, and my heart racing, and I knew I was gonna die. I just knew it. And it took that Charlemagne for me to get through my anger, get through my frustration. When the pressure hit, I knew where to go. And I looked up and had a conversation with God and he sense he made a deal with him. Man, you let me live. I'm done. I'm sorry forgetting I had to And I made it through that, obviously, And that was the start of my journey. Did it happen overnight, No, But I started softening my heart. I started being open to God again. I started being I started listening to Verge a little bit more. You know, the window was closing for the Olympics. I'm probably two years out at this point, and it was little by little man, but slowly but surely. Man, when I saw God supernaturally take the desire and the taste for alcohol, drugs and everything else from me. Some people may have to go to a program, and I don't knock that everybody got that different stuff. But when I saw that happen, I was like, man, this stuff is real. When I started to develop my own faith, in my own relationship, and I started to sense and feel God speaking to me and helping me, and it wasn't just my father's faith no more. That was that was that was a memorial. I never forget that. I never forget that. And then giving me the power to sustain me all these years and a sport like boxing, being a young father and a young husband like man, I'm I'm not that good like without a relationship with God and having that power working in my life. Oh, y'all gonna be reading about me on the bottom of the tacker for sure. In my mind, one part of my mind says, all, you would have held it together, you would have been fine. But the other part of me saying, you're not the good.
Speaker 2: So that's the impost syndrome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it's all the process that got me to his feet and then everything that ensued after. I've seen too much, Charla Mane, and I've experienced too much to go back. I just have personal experience where it's like do and I'm not the kind of person that can just read a rule book and then try to follow it, Like I need to feel something tangible, something that's real. I felt that, and I feel that to this day.
Speaker 5: What made you start going into like seek therapy and things of that nature. Cause a lot of people that's very spiritual, they say, all, God is enough.
Speaker 2: What made you realize I needed something else?
Speaker 1: Well, I got great counselors at my church. I chose to go that right because I wanted a godly perspective with it. You know, I don't knock anybody else. You got to know what's good for you, right. But then it just kind of naturally happened. I wasn't like, all right, I don't gonna make a conscious decision. I just started talking to my pastor and him being who he is a wise man, they like, well, tell me about that, and I'm I'm all of a sudden in the counseling session and didn't even realize that I was in the counseling session. But I knew I felt better after talking about it, and in him tell me, well, man, you may want to think about that. Man, Man, I see, I know you're going through that right now, but God's gonna see you through. And he had vision beyond what I was going through. That kind of stuff stimulating me gave me hope. It gave me the ability to believe the man, I can I can do this, this husband thing, I could be a father, man, I could be in this career still represent God, and I'd be weird of noxious about it, but just live the life in front of it. I can do this. So it just kind of happened, Charlamagne. It wasn't really a conscious decision, but I knew I felt better when I did it. I knew I felt lighter. I knew it gave me hope, and I do it to this day when I feel that pressure hit. Yeah, I have my relationship with God, but I got a core group of brothers that I call. I got a few people at my church I could passed. I need to holl let you, I need to come, what's what's going on? Comes to the house. I need that. So I just begin to see the value of it over time.
Speaker 2: You think every.
Speaker 3: Boxer should have a therapy corner where people they can talk to because they're going through so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Yeah, I think probably probably most probably everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then like everybody that you said, God sends you people sometimes, you know what I mean, Like for that, like you said you received counseling the church didn't even know that that is where you know that that you were in counseling.
Speaker 7: God will send you people, you know, just like that.
Speaker 6: But speaking of what ANDB just asked you, I just reported a story about Ryan Garcia and everything he's going through now, And we were having a conversation earlier about.
Speaker 7: Should they call his fight because he seems to be.
Speaker 6: You know, just going through so many things and just you know, and and publicly we're seeing it, you know what I mean, Like, how what would you what do you have to say to speak to that?
Speaker 1: Or he's in a tough spot right now because you got this fight coming up, and and you do not have time for self care or you got to prepare for war. So it's this stuff is coming at a bad time. And it didn't just come this stuff. It's probably been going on and it's just showing itself. Now. I don't know about the social media stuff and if that stuff is him, because he did put out a video saying that he didn't have access to his stuff. But the things that I've heard him say, it seems I it seems off. And I'm not trying to minimize a marginalize what he seems to be going through. But you know, his father was like, oh, he's just trolling the wrong way. I've heard him say things about trolling, so I don't believe it's just trolling. But you you know, he's got a lot of follower He's got a big following. You wonder, like, man, is this some of this stuff? But I think my gut is saying that it's real and he's no longer able to hide it or keep it behind the scenes. He's in a real tough spot right now because of this fight. But I think and I don't know if he should cancel the fight or if he's gonna even be able to get through a training training camp. It's a lot. It's pressure. Man, every day you are great and physically mentally you taking punch and you dishing punches. You got some type of training session and it's not just all I'm just going to work out just to sweat, like you pushing your body past the limit two three times a day. That's a lot. When do you have time to focus on yourself? You don't and he's not. So it's really sad to see. And it's really concerning to see because young kid with a lot, a lot of money, big following, but it's clearly something going on.
Speaker 6: And then also with that image, a big image that they these young boys have to live up to now because we have the internet, we have the social media, We have fan bases that are built off of you know, their money, their social media, how they look. So speaking to your book, killing the images that which you're more so talking about, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think with that is just you know, by me essentially telling on myself and sharing this side of my story, it may kill some images that people have. Man I thought he never man, I couldn't see him doing that. That may do that but that doesn't mean that who I am is not real. I'm just giving you the other side of the coin. And when you talk about the social media stuff, that's why for me, like like, it's not hard to create a viral moment for me, like the way my brain works, Like I know I can come in here right now and say certain names and get a reaction and get more close and views. Right, that's not how I'm wired, and I don't. I don't get down like.
Speaker 2: That feel free for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 4: Want to slap a co host right now.
Speaker 1: It's all kind of stuff you can do. It's all kind of stuff you can say. I was telling to tape my boy tell him. I said, well, it's not hard. It's not. I try to let any viral moment I have be authentic, be real. But what you win the people with, you got to keep them with. And Ryan won the people over with sharing everything overly sharing, right, So now he's going through it, he doesn't even feel like he can go through it in produe. He feels the need to like, bro, why are you sharing that? Why you do that video? Who told you to do that video?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I gotta let the people know. So He's in a tough spot because what you win the people with you gotta keep him with that. And that's the the tough spot you see him in right now. He can't even he doesn't even know how to deal with life and deal with himself offline. Too young, and you can tell he's not he's not been told because I can listen to you and hear you share certain things and say you shouldn't. You shouldn't have that. You shouldn't have shared that now, you shouldn't have said that. Why you doing this at the press conference. He's young, he don't understand, so he feels like it's all fair game and he don't realize that's hurting him even more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so interesting because when I think about Ryan, I started liking Ryan because he was a good boxer, yep, right, And so the trolling and stuff that's kind of new to me. And I feel like that came after he lost the tank, and it's like, you can't distract people from that loss.
Speaker 2: You just gotta move on.
Speaker 5: And I think all of this talk of good point, Devin gonna beat you up, beat you, I think it's messing with him.
Speaker 2: He don't want to experience that again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. I think it is a distraction, dude, Like like when you lose and he was all, you ain't, but I remember my last loss, said you ain't lost in a long time. I remember it, which is why I ain't lost. Since it's like, bro, it's like a it's like a it's like a death. You you mourning that thing, especially when it's a high profile loss and you get stopped away that he did you think it's over. We going home?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You still living with that? You waking up Sunday morning. You gotta get on your flight now that that that last night, what you did or didn't do. It's it's starting to sink in the next coming months and year. All you hear and see is the loss you gotta knocked out. Man, Shut up. We don't want to hear that you got man, you said you was gonna win you It's so he's he's in a form of like mourning right now. Good point about him trying to distract people from it. But he ain't doing it the right way. And I don't know who he has around him to pull his coat tail and say, bro, lil bro, we're not doing that that we're not doing that well. I gotta tell the people, no, you don't. You need to win. That's how you're gonna get over that loss. Focus on this. But and I say the other thing too. I think that you were asking about you always asking about should fighters get counseling and different things like that. I think like most people should, probably all people, like I said, it, should have somebody that they can talk to. You got to be able to like life is gonna happen right then. Just because you're not talking about it, don't mean you're not going through it. But the alcohol and the drugs that I'm even seeing and hearing fight like it was a thing, but it's even more a thing, right And some of that is trying to escape. Some of that is trying to deal with the pressure. Some of that is not having a counselor not having a relationship with God and trying to deal with this pressure. But the only way I know how to deal with it is to go to the bottle, or go to the weed, or go to the drug, or go to the women. And I just you just again, I'm sounding like the old head. You live long enough and you just start to see like Man, you just don't want to have a good time. You running from something, and I try to do the best I can. I don't you know, I'm not in these guys business or nothing like that. But when my phone rings or they reach out, man, I try to give them what I what I had, And that's the power of And you talk about this a lot, Charla Mane of telling my story, like, I've had so much feedback about dude, I had no idea, like can I talk to you about this? Like I've had youngsters that I've been talking to for years and we normally only keep it boxing because they want to look a certain way in front of me. But now that I revealed that, can I talk to you about this? Bro? I'm struggling with this. We need somebody to talk to manly, Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: The final question because I want people to go watch the documentary that you the Book of Water and pick up the book killing the image. But on the back of the book you have what if I die? Why did you have that question?
Speaker 1: That was the moment that I was telling you all about where I felt like I was gonna overdose. Yeah, that was the moment and for me being hard head, at that time of my life. That's what it took, unfortunately, but it's a it's a moment I'll never forget. And you know, I hope that that. You know, I just like it's it's a lot of inspiration out there. Uh, And I think we should have people who are inspiring. We gotta we gotta be inspired. But I tried in this book, Charlotte main And to give a role.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I want you to get inspired, but I also want you to have some practical things that you can take from my life, hopefully to help you through your situation. That maybe by reading my story you can see beyond your situation. And I hope that the book, the book did that, because this book would make you laugh it and'll make you cry. It inspire you, but it also give you, like I said, some tools and some weapons to be able to fight your fight. People think that fighting is just for barbaric people or people who got that mentality. We're all fighting something and we're all going to have to fight at some point. All of us gonna have to toe that line and say, man, I'm resisting this. I'm not gonna give into this. It could be an addiction, it could be a lifestyle. It could be family members, they could be anxiety, whatever it is. So this is not a boxing book, just like I would tell people when I was pushing the doc, it's not a boxing doc. People always want to make it that this is a human interest story. Man, this is about a young man who had a dream, who almost lost it all and gave his life to God, and it's just been trying to walk this thing out and do life. Just do it better than my family members did it, and hopefully my kids will do it better than I did it.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: There, you have it, andre Ward later, thank you for coming brother man man.
Speaker 2: Killing the image.
Speaker 5: Bookstores everywhere right now, everywhere you buy books, go get it.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: And it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.