Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories, a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. This is a two parter, parter parter parter, part thank you too, Part two. It's two part part part part two. Thanks to our super producer mister Max Williams, also research associate on this. This became our entire week because Noel, you and I have a lot of opinions about the candies. And I'm bet by the way.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, and it's me no and I don't know what do you say? We dive right in to the chocolate river.
Speaker 1: Let's have a reading of the of a little piece of satire written for the Sundial coming out of Ohio State Credit to the authors, Sarah Palazzo and Emily Pratt.
Speaker 3: As the festivities of Halloween come to a close, we find our subject an almond joy candy left forgotten at the bottom of his child's candy bag. He is no stranger to this life. After going uneaten, he must endure the annual humiliation of being given away on the following Halloween, being passed on to child after child, for he has never wanted in anyone's home. The endless cycle of fleeting hope and crushing rejection never gets easier for our unfortunate Almond Joy.
Speaker 1: So it's the fruitcake argument.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: I do recognize I'm in the minority in liking Almond Joe. But hey, I clean up on Halloween, you know, because my kid gives me all the Almond Joy.
Speaker 1: Cleaning up on Halloween is pretty good. How many of those Almondjoys make it to next Halloween?
Speaker 3: Oh God, I don't know. There's no leftover candy. It's they had to be consumed. No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't end up with like that many because I guess to Max's point, it does feel like it is sort of the red headed step child of the you know, candy grab bag that is often purchased, so you know, you got to give it out to somebody. But then I guess they trickle down to it does seem like kind of like a dad candy.
Speaker 3: So I wear it with bride.
Speaker 1: Now, Max, can you break down for us a little bit of how Ohio State speaks to you nostalgically for all of them Joy?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's just like you know, my opinions on almond Joy are so strong that So I'm a diehard University of Michigan fan, so I hate Ohio State, but I will quote them if we're making fun of Almondjoy together. But also, University of Michigan's head coach, head coach doesn't dance with a whistle in.
Speaker 5: His mouth, So I'm all good.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. I don't know about you, but uh, yeah, that flew over.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, that's fine. There'll be some do we need to wait next?
Speaker 1: Are you saying we need to have whistles? Or so?
Speaker 4: Before last year's Ohio State Michigan game, Ohio State's head coach Ryan Day, who, if he loses for a fourth straight time, will certainly be fired. I know a number of Ohio State fans who wish.
Speaker 5: He was already fired. Uh.
Speaker 4: There is a video, very unfortunate video of him dancing the He's in the middle with all the players around, He's dancing around with a whistleless mouth, and it's like the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, if it's not too subversive, I suggest we put a max with the facts in on that one.
Speaker 3: Why not? Why not sports? These sports a dish.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it does appear that there are some very new England roots to almond Joy. According to an article from mash dot com, The Untold Truth of Almondjoy, it got its roots in Naugatuck, Connecticut with the candy seller Peter Paul Halajian, who founded the Peter Paul Candy Company in nineteen nineteen, and more than two decades later, the almond.
Speaker 3: Joy was born a you know, a little I.
Speaker 2: Guess elliptical, you know, nugget of a coconut covered in milk chocolate set with a crunchy almond.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And here's the thing you might be wondering, ridiculous historians, why did Peter Paul Hallijohn create the Peter Paul Candy Company. He changed his last name to Paul because it being mispronounced Halla John or halle John. Yeah, kept being mispronounced. And the roots of this company do date back to the early nineteen hundreds. But the almond Joy's real moment in the sun arrives in the nineteen forties. And it turns out we weren't just citing mounds for fun and games. Although I do love again this stand up comedian Shen Wang shen Wang. You gotta check him out. He's so good. He has a great bit on Almond Joy mounts. And it turns out that Mounds themselves are part of the reason for the success of the Almond Joy.
Speaker 2: I guess I never realized that Mounds came first. So in the earliest days of the Peter Paul Candy Company, now with name change, Peter Paul himself had quite a few different confections that he had designed, different candy bars too, including coconut one called the ConA Bar, which is chocolate, coconuts, nuts, and some fruits. And that was actually one of the first kind of I guess flag not flagship, but like you know, a unique creation of the Peter Paul Candy Company. This is according to Connecticut Explored. Mounds came around in nineteen twenty one as a combo of coconut filling, coated and dark chocolate, and I guess, based on the way things went, it kind of served as almost a prototype for the Almond Joy. But even before the Almond Joy came along, was quite popular in its own right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Mounds was quite successful and when Paul unfortunately passes away in nineteen twenty seven, Carl Kazigian decides to specialize in candy, and there is a beauty to specificity. So he says, look, we're going to get rid of most of the other stuff we're making and we're going to focus on the things that are doing the best in the market, which are mounds. And they said, you know, we also have a problem because mounds are our best seller. But we have to make every literally every single mound by hand. So here's what col does that's very smart. He automates it. He takes like a Henry Ford approach and builds an assembly line to create the mounds. And this means they can sell more mounds. People really love them. And so in the nineteen thirties, the Peter Paul Candy Company becomes this is a true story, folks, the world's largest single consumer of coconuts.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's something to be said about that.
Speaker 2: At this time, with even with the assembly line stuff and the kind of modernization of the process, still wouldn't have been fully automated. I guess I'm picturing sort of like that I Love Lucy bit where Lucy and Ethel are like trying to wrap candies or something on this assembly line and it goes out out of control and so fast, and like Lucy to keep up, just start shoving the candies in her mouth. I'm guessing it's sort of there's still a human element at this point, even with this insane scaling that you know, would just be operating on one of those like conveyed type assembly lines.
Speaker 1: And so just like Swanson with all those turkeys that led to the invention of the frozen dinner, Peter Paul Candy Company is looking around the boardroom and they're they're a wash with coconuts. They're riddled with coconuts. The boardroom probably asks crates of coconuts, and they're like, what are we gonna do with all.
Speaker 4: The guys proposing something in a coconut falls and knocks them out, Yes, yeah, and everything.
Speaker 1: And they're like, dang, Jeremy's out of the game. Almond Joy is developed as a result of this. They used to make a thing called dream Bars, which were coconut and diced almonds, but they invent almond Joy as an evolution of this in nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because you think it would assembly no maybe not maybe assembly line wise, plopping that almond on there on its own, is easier than dicing in and putting it in there. But it also allowed them to have two different candies that used the surplus of coconut, so they essentially were able to double their output. Both of the candies come in packages of two of these small bars and have the same exact filling. So there we go, two coconuts with one coconut, and then Almond Joy of course uses milk chocolate and adds that whole almond. The almond is actually, you know, as answers my previous question, the almond is actually coated in chocolate before being added to the bar, and then the whole deal is coated again, and this protects the almond from getting soggy and gives you know, folks, kind of a little extra hit of chocolate.
Speaker 1: And Max compares coconut to coca nut to poison, which I don't, you know, Max, I gotta tell you, man, have you ever had a good curry?
Speaker 4: I mean, I had forgotten that I wrote that line. And because this is this is my moment of truth right here. Yeah, I actually kind of like almond Joys, Like I never seek them out, but I don't I don't mind them.
Speaker 5: It's more than I just.
Speaker 4: Can't have them with the condition con That's where this entire thing came from, is I can't have any candy because of the condition ASID, I can't have chocolate, I can't have almonds.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah no, but then a good coconut curry is the jam huge fan.
Speaker 1: I gotta cook them for you sometimes, you guys, I'm getting pretty good at it. But all right, still, uh we have more satire from Palazzo and Pratt about the almond joy spoiler. I don't think we have to read the whole thing. It is again arguing a kind of fruitcake comparison. What we mean when we say fruitcake comparison is the old troop. I don't know if you guys have heard of this, the old trope that because fruitcakes are shelf stable, someone will give it to someone as a holiday thing, and the next holiday someone will just send it back. They'll regift fruitcakes. Sure, I don't know, Like, have you guys ever eaten fruitcake? Are you a fan?
Speaker 2: I don't think on purpose, No, now that I think about it, I just don't like those kind of weird preserved candied fruits. They're just a little sacriny something about it just doesn't It's the weird colors, the green cherries, you know, a little lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean one year Alex got a fruitcake for the family for Christmas and it's sat in the family fridge for weeks until somebody just threw it away because it was a joke.
Speaker 1: But right, that would be Alex Williams, biological brother of Max and our composer for Ridiculous History.
Speaker 4: I remember, well, y'all have an episode about fruitcakes for Antarctic explorers or something that, right, because the funny, funny story here. I was a fan of the show before I worked on it, so I remember listening to that one and be like, oh, that's my fruitcake?
Speaker 1: Are you serious? Yeah? I don't think I've told you guys that you have never Oh wow, and here we are learning on the hot streets of the internet. Thank you, Max. That's very kind. We have other directions to go, of course, for many people listening, you might be thinking of other candy that has yet to be named, and you might be thinking, what about those red hots, what about all the cinnamon flavored.
Speaker 3: Candy, lemon heads perhaps.
Speaker 1: Lemon heads perhaps, what about laughy taffy. What about you know, do you guys remember in days of childhood Halloween the orange and black wax paper wrapped taffies. Was that just in my neighbors.
Speaker 3: Saltwater taffy kind of situation?
Speaker 2: They had no label, they were greatly bought in bold. Yeah, yeah, I do know what you're talking about. Some of them would be various kind of pale colors, you know, pink, pinks and blues and things like that.
Speaker 1: Distressingly so somehow pallid and love crafting.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: There's also another one. We didn't talk. You mentioned bit of honey before earlier, right, so it did.
Speaker 5: Can I go a little bit round about this one? Yeah, because it's like, so I've been using the start.
Speaker 4: I used this article from Local Syracuse by Megan Hatches. Basically, this is a pole like these are the candies that people hate, and bet o'honey was on there. I'm like, I don't agree with that one. So like our equipment distributor Sweetwater, one of the big things they do is they send a bag of candy to people and we get better honey all the time on that and laffy.
Speaker 3: He always had lafi.
Speaker 4: He always Lafti tavy too, and uh, I remember being like a bit of honey and then I I'm like, oh, that's actually like pretty good. It's got a nostalgia, it's like, you know, it's so MATERITISI roll. But I think it's not a bad candy at all.
Speaker 1: It tastes like honey n cheerios.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like a very concentrated version of honey cheerios. So would you want to eat an entire tobleroam bar equivalent? Probably not in one sitting, right, but I put away two or three. You probably put it? Yeah, yeah, and that's I think. Also the genius of a lot of candy is the idea of individual packaging and wrapping.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Like, you know another thing we didn't have on the list here you guys, do you remember the wax lips? Yeah? Is that candy? Are you supposed to eat it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: It was you supposed to put it in your mouth and make a silly face as it makes you look goofy. Or there'd be different ones with like you know, you could get ones in a like vampire fangs. Do you remember a Looney Tunes episode? I can't remember who said it? But someone was like asking maybe bugs Bunny for a tip, like, you know, a monetary tip, and he says, never leave wax lips on the dresser by an open window on a hot day.
Speaker 1: That is technically true. That is technically a tip, A good tip. Uh yeah, So shout out to Waco Wax. They're one of the biggest manufacturer sheet stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still to this day they must be the only game in town.
Speaker 2: Can't be a big crowded marketplace for wax lips anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm sure TIMU makes some, right, because TIMU makes everything. Have you guys gotten the TMU ads?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're probably bizarre, right, But like I'm looking now at like the classic configuration, you'd have one that was like a you know, pretty lady lipstick type lips, and then there'd be vampire fangs, and then one was like it's like a mustache. There are probably some other variations. Those are the ones that I remember from from the classics.
Speaker 1: But wait for it. Do you know who owns Wacko wax Mmm, Twtsy roll Industries.
Speaker 2: It does say in some of the descriptions that they're chewable, but you're literally just chewing wax. It's like non flavored gum.
Speaker 1: It's like, I think it's called food grade paraffe in wax, which does not sound appetizing.
Speaker 2: Anytime you say food grade, you think it always is a little sus right.
Speaker 1: It's an implication. You know, it's up there with cheese food product.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. We mentioned laffy taffy quite a bit. Do I do appreciate their jokes. There's some good dad jokes contained within laffy taffy packaging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are laughy for sure. It's kind of like Bazooka bubblegum. They had a comic book in there, you know. Yeah, and laffy Taffy's really do there is good taffy.
Speaker 2: It's not my thing, but like you know, if you go to like a beachside community or something where they've got a little boardwalk, there's gonna be like people stretching the taffy. It's again, it's just classic Americana. But guys, moment of truth, how do you feel about licorice? Black licorice specifically, because that's even a stand in for a term for like something that's an acquired taste.
Speaker 3: You say that guy's black licorice, you.
Speaker 1: Know, good friend of the show, Lauren Vogelbaum, who may be returning soon, is a fan of licorice. One time she reached out to me and she told me that she had some licorice that was too far for her, some drops of licorice that were like cough drops, you know, like like a little robotussin or something kind of cough drop, but it was licorice flavored. It was sent to her for her show she does with any Reese called Savor, and they were like, this is a treat in Northern Europe, and she tried one and she said she couldn't get the taste out of her mouth for like an hour, So.
Speaker 3: It's it can be very intense.
Speaker 2: And yeah, in Europe they pride themselves on the intensity of their licorice candies.
Speaker 1: Great Western Europe is saying to themselves, if we would be known for one thing, Yes, it's the intensity of our licorice.
Speaker 2: Licorice it is in fact derived from a plant that actually has some I believe medicinal properties.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we're talking and it tastes like it does. Glycer is a glabra, right, which does sound like the name of a villain in Harry Potter or James Bond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it has anti inflammatory properties, can act as an antioxidant, and there's also antimicrobial it can it can help reduce acid reflux.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's generally recognized as safe. There are some problems with it. If you eat too much licorice, you might lower your potassium levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about that right exactly, so that it wants you to know about the Great potassium Conspiracy about like, you know, supplement We're going to do a whole episode on supplements. But that's interesting because apparently potassium, the way it is absorbed or something like it, it's harder to get from supplements than say vitamin C or what have you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Licorice is interesting because it's one of those love it or hate it things like I don't see a lot of people who are very middling about licorice. I see people who have an adverse reaction or they're big fans.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny because people will sometimes refer to twizzlers or red vines as red licorice, but it's not the same at all. There's none of that licorice flavor is in that it's just a similar medium, you know, for delivering kind of a sugary, strawberry adjacent chewy treat. I actually quite like Twizzlers for a treat at the movies. I like it you can bite off each end and use it as a straw for your soda.
Speaker 1: I like a lot of stuff at cinema that I wouldn't normally eat.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: I gotta say I love a Nestley crunch because I associate it with watch movies and you crutch it just like putting em and m's in the popcorn or something and shaking it up. You got a nice, sweet, salty treat. I do have one question for you guys. For everybody peeps, for them against.
Speaker 2: Them, it's a marshmallow like so, I mean, I'm okay with it in general, but I don't love it.
Speaker 3: They're a little too sugaring.
Speaker 4: Did you guys see the last week tonight? Like they had like a period where they decided to go after peeps, maybe like a number of videos.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't hate them, I don't love them.
Speaker 4: They're fine. I agree with Milsteate completely. They're just like a marshmallow that's a little too intense.
Speaker 1: Okay, They're a marshmallow that went on. It's interesting because they I think they originally came out in the early nineteen fifties, and they were always a seasonally base thing, so it's not like candy corn, where they sort of found where they fit in. They were always marketed originally at Easter, so I think that's why you don't see them happening as a you know, like a nostalgic piece of other celebrations. When did little duckies start being associated with Easter? I've always wondered baby ducklings. I guess maybe just because they're sort of spring springy associated, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because new birth perhaps the yeah, maybe rebirths because they're baby ducklings. But you know, I understand the rabbits, even though that doesn't make much sense either. The Easter bunny what that has to do with the resurrection.
Speaker 1: How many poor kids grew up like and I say poor, not financially, I'm just like, I feel bad for all of us. How many kids grew up thinking there's a species of giant rabbits that lays eggs, you know, and then hides them and then hides them, and it's your job to high this rabbit. It's very strange.
Speaker 3: It's a little lot.
Speaker 1: Maybe a history of Easter as a future episode. But what do we think, guys, any other candy that we find just awful?
Speaker 5: Or can I just give you all the flavors necho wafers?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, do they even realize they had? Like they thought the same.
Speaker 4: There's eight flavorsnna, you guys gonna encringe at some of them. We got winter green chocolate, which by far, by, by far, chocolate's the best one, lime, lemon, clove, cinnamon, orange.
Speaker 5: And here's the last one. Yeah, licorice.
Speaker 3: Ah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 5: They got licorice.
Speaker 2: Those things just feel like a pill, like, you know, like it's yeah, something about them.
Speaker 3: This feels so medicinal.
Speaker 4: My dad was so happy when I give him to him on Christmas and he said, oh, Max, to want someone, Oh sorry, I can't have them with the condition, dad, And I was so glad I could use that as an excuse, like, nope, can't have those Oh the condition the condition?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the ultimate the ultimate reason.
Speaker 3: Right. Uh, we got.
Speaker 1: Your back there, Max. We also want to shout out I think it was wasn't it? Stuff you should know? Did a necho Wafers episode. Am I recalling that correctly?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm not familiar with that one.
Speaker 2: I always also kind of associate necho wafers with not smarties. What are the ones that literally look like little pills that come rolled up.
Speaker 3: They're kind of smaller than necho wafers.
Speaker 1: But they're not smarties.
Speaker 3: They're not smarties. Smarties are around.
Speaker 1: Right right, and TikTok is got rolled up?
Speaker 3: What am I thinking of?
Speaker 1: Killdy Well, while you're looking that up, I want to shout out, shout out our Alma Matter, How Stuff Works a greater Smarties.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're definitely smarties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're their little pill like they look like an aspirin or something, but they're essentially, I think, following the lead of neco wafers. I'm not quite sure what the chronology is there. They don't purport to have differing flavors. I want to shout out this article from our Alma Matter House Stuff Works by John Donovan, which answers the question some people maybe having in the audience. Max in particular, how did the necho wafer.
Speaker 1: Last so long? Because it's kind of like other you know, if you go into a cracker barrel or a country store kind of thing. You see a lot of, you know, candy of yesteryear, like Penny Candy, Rock Crystal candy, Warhouse spelled hore Hound malamars.
Speaker 2: That's love marshmallowy chocolatey thing. Really quickly though, I was looking at the history of Smarties and they definitely are pretty pretty adjacent to Neco Wafers, founded in nineteen forty nine by Edward d. He actually repurposed a World War Two pellet making machine to make and that's where the shape of these things come to center.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I had no idea, And also shout out to Max who just slid us a note during class about pepsi peeps.
Speaker 2: About pepsi peeps, but that sounds like something you'd take for a upset stomach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I learned that one from last week tonight. I've never had one, but there was a there was a period where pepsi and peeps did a combination. Oh god, yeah, I don't know what it days, but it's like, you know, awful marshmallows and awful soda mixed together.
Speaker 1: And in February of twenty twenty three they got back together because they have worked with each other for some time. It appears this goes all the way to the top of soda and sugar and candy. And I can't believe it, but we made this a two parter.
Speaker 3: Huh what do you think?
Speaker 2: I think we did too. The last thing on Smarty Sorry, one of the top results that comes up when you google Smarties is are Smarties made of chalk? So there you go, But no, I think this is a delightful tuope parter.
Speaker 5: And I got one last thing to leave us with there.
Speaker 4: If you type in candy corn jokes into Google, you will find that's one of the top things. A candy corn looking in the mirror and says, well, I.
Speaker 2: Like me, you go good cute looking, they have a nice shape. I like the the aesthetics of candy corn. I just don't want to eat them.
Speaker 1: I also, you know, I also want to note there are things like seafood flavored candy out there by Japanese squid candy. It's not bad. There are pickles flavored candies. What we're going to see is that throughout the world of candy, you can properly find the texture and the taste that you're looking for.
Speaker 3: Agreed. It's out there.
Speaker 2: If you can imagine it, then chances are someone has created.
Speaker 1: It and thinks as always for joining us, folks. Big big thanks to our super producer and research associate, mister Max Williams. Big thanks to Alex Williams, composer of this slapping bop. You here at the end of every show. What candy do you think Jonathan Strickland aka the Quist and Joyce do you think he's a candy man?
Speaker 2: Well, he's in the sense that if you say his name a certain number of times that year or you will appear and murder you with his hook hand.
Speaker 4: I mean I think he might go like, you know, the dentist route and eat Apples's candy.
Speaker 2: Got to get you a toilet papering job instantly on Halloween.
Speaker 1: Oh, Pez, Pez is what I was thinking about.
Speaker 2: Related very adjacent, but at least they figured out that we'll sell the shy candy uh so that they can get the toy and then the dispenser, you know.
Speaker 3: And then the Pez dispensers was born.
Speaker 1: I think Pez is original, or at least the dispenser was meant to be an anti smoking aid or some fun story for another day.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, Yeah, thank you to Pez for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually think, if I'm not mistaken, we've talked a bit about the history of PEZ, and I think it's a story onto itself, Like I believe there are some twists and turns in that one, So maybe we'll revisit that for a future episode.
Speaker 3: But man, yeah, no, this is fun.
Speaker 1: Thanks also to Christopher Hasiotis, Eve's Jeff cot Gabe Luzier our pals at Ridiculous Crime, and we got an excellent opportunity to hang out with them recently. So check out that crossover wherein we as a group play a game called twenty Questions.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.