Speaker 1: The late fifteen to ten touched up Sucker. Welcome to Chargers Weekly.
Speaker 2: A new man at the wheel for this week as oarman, Chris Harry tied up, so we figured we would lean on one of the experts.
Speaker 1: He is expert in field.
Speaker 2: Was with us while we were out of the combine in Indianapolis and as we do a combine wrapped today, Lancerline, super super cool of you to spend some time with us to kind of talk about all these prospects as we get ready for the twenty twenty four draft post combine, If anything changed, how much it changed For those of you that subscribe and listened to Chargers Weekly, you heard about a twenty minute conversation we had with Lance. It was one of our favorites while we were there, so we figured we would invite him back and he was kind enough to accept. So Lance, thanks so much. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I enjoyed it last time. So looking forward to kind of recapping the combine.
Speaker 2: What did anything change like if you could just in generalities as we as we kind of you know, pull out and take the wide angle view, did you feel like anything changed coming out of the combine? That maybe you had originally thought about it going in.
Speaker 3: You know, there's some there's some slotting. Yeah. For me, how I slot players is a little bit. It's a little bit fluid headed into the combine and and I start to tighten it up a little bit. After that, I moved JJ McCarthy. I had a Bonnix and I like Bonnix's season. I thought he had a good season, but you know, honestly, money being on the being on the field of the combine, I didn't. I didn't love the arm of Bonnix. I thought I was going to I thought I was going to get more quite frankly, and it was just kind of an average arm. And when I start piecing everything together, I think, Okay, he's going to need to be more of a system quarterback where he has to stay inside the system, even though he's got some mobility and throws well on the move. And so now that kind of and combined with JJ McCarthy just kind of as you could really feel that there's an energy between him and some of the wide receivers that you could feel. And that's not a small thing because when it comes to NFL receivers and players, they need to have a trust in a young quarterback, they need to, you know, they need to believe in the personality, believe in the guy's confidence, and I think JJ McCarthy just has some of that. And so you know, it's a small thing. I moved McCarthy from five to four, from Nicks from four to five. But also I think Michael Pennix has really created some conversation there at the back end of the first Typically, I think you'd look at Penis as a second round player, but getting that fifth year is maybe even more important for a player who's going to be twenty five years old as a rookie.
Speaker 2: So let me let me jump in there real quick glance, because yeah, just your evaluation of those two players leads me to ask this. The Chargers have pick five in the first round, pick thirty seven in the second round, so the fifth pick in each of those spots. Thoughts on the likelihood that someone would would be willing to trade up to number five for McCarthy, And then you know how it goes on Day two when those quarterbacks maybe don't go at the back end of number one. Now you've got a bit of a frenzy to try to get up there for knicks for Pennix. Could you see each of those picks being in play for that trio of quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think I've felt this from the first time I did a mock draft. I could really figure out here, like, Okay, the Chargers are going to be the most valued spot from a trade up standpoint, I think I think hardball and that's that entire front office is looking at really a very favorable situation because if you lock in on offensive line, there's several offensive tackles that you may like. I think that Fuaga, Faltuana, I would say, Joe alt and Jacam should all be in consideration for the Chargers if they want to look at offensive tackle and listen based on how wide receivers could go, based on the way that the quarterbacks could go and should go, I think it's a great trade back spot. As a matter of fact, I'm doing everything I can to move back if in fact you want an offensive tackle, because I think that the value you get from moving back and still picking a player that may potentially be first on your board at the offensive line spot is just too great not to trade back. So yeah, I think I think because the Giants are going to be a team that they'll try to stay quiet about the quarterback position, but the fact is, if they're not able to move up, that spot right in front of them is a is going to be a coveted spot. And that's why I think that the Chargers are sitting in a tremendous position at number five. So yeah, I think that one money more than anything. Now. The second round is trickier just because, as you mentioned, people regroup after the first round and so typically pick number thirty three and thirty four and maybe even thirty f are gonna be the ones that I think could be the quarterback spots.
Speaker 2: The you know, we've been focused so much on these two positions, lance really three if you put brock Bowers in it, right, it's sort of been is it a doonsay or Neighbors or is it alt or Latham or Fashanu, whichever one, you know, whatever your your preference may be.
Speaker 1: But it seemed like a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Came out of the combine and said, you know what, we kind of forgot about defense. We maybe forgot about defense a little bit because these prospects are so impressive and Dallas Turner puts on a show and even though Terry and Earl didn't run fast, he looked really fluid and all the drills Quinion, Mitchell throws up two twenty five twenty times and runs a blazing fast forty time. What about let's just say edge and particularly I think Turner and corner, knowing that those are also positions of need, like in terms of your grading, how close are let's just get let's go with those three names, Mitchell, Arnold.
Speaker 1: At corner and Turner at edge?
Speaker 2: How close would they beat one of those offensive tackles if they trade back to eight or eleven?
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I think if you trade back to eleven, you may there's a chance you could miss out on on Turner. Now, Dallas Turner, his workout was phenomenal. As you know, Money did some I don't know if it's considered historical stuff, but we're talking about a seven foot wingspan and a guy who jumped over forty inches ran a sub four or five forty like. He did some truly freaky things. And I've got a six to seven oh grade on him. To give you an idea, running it backwards, I've got I've got Chop Robinson, who I project as a really good NFL pro but he's not ready yet. But I'm still giving them a projection grade. But then it goes Turner, then Latham, then Brock Bowers, then Jayden Daniels, Jared verst Roma, Denze, Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Junior, and Malik Neighbors. For me, so you.
Speaker 1: Got Turner ahead of those guys.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 1: You got Turner ahead of those guys.
Speaker 3: I've got turned Turner, Turner. I was working in reverse orders.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got you, We're yeah.
Speaker 3: So Dallas Turner I've got right now is a ninth grade to prospect, tied tied for ninth. But basically, I think that if you're going to move back, the positions you're probably going to be looking at are going to be offensive tackle, Terry and Arnold. That might be the first spot that a cornerback goes, either Arnold or Quinnyon. Mitchell I talked to one team who thought that there was a chance that the cornerbacks could fall a little bit beyond pick number twelve or thirteen, and he thought the pass rushers, the quarterbacks, the wide receivers, and the tackles that that was going to be, you know, ay a heavy peppering of those positions. He also thought in mentioning Brock Bowers have a hard time placing Brock Buoers in a mock draft because you know, he's not a classic why tight end. He's a he's a very good run after catch tight end. He doesn't have great size. He's going to test Waalders pro day. When he tests, he'll run fast, he'll jump by. But it's hard to place brock powers because tight ends have become very very difficult based on what they make, what they're you know, what they're, what they make, what our second contract is, how you're gonna use them. But the team I talked to who I think could look at a tight end said, look, we think he's going inside the top ten picks because he's just kind of a special talent. But when I go through the list money, it's hard for me to find I think the Chargers would be a great fit, but not at five. If you trade back, you open the door to Bowers to wide receiver, to a corner to defensive end. Like I've tried everything I can. If I'm the Chargers to trade back, I really.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting because I think about tight end and this is sort of something that we're dealing with in a lot of the comments and a lot of the pushback because people want they want the wide receiver.
Speaker 1: You know, I get it.
Speaker 2: It's fireworks. It's justin Herbert. You think about all the magic that they could make. It could be Jamar Chase, Joe Burrow esque or two a Tyreek Hill esque. But I just look at the history of Jim Harbaugh and I look at how much success he's had. He's won everywhere he's been. And if I just go through, like if I just go through his history, right, the wide receivers aren't putting up giant numbers like Michigan He's got Nico Collins and this year I'll have Roman Wilson. You compare that to Mazzi Smith, Aiden Hutchinson, Daxton Hill, David Ajabo, Quitty, Paie Caesar Ouiz, Ben Brettison, Like he's putting O Lineman, He's putting D Lineman. He's putting you know at Stanford. Think about all the tight ends that he put into the league and Kobe Fleener and Zach Ertz, all these guys, Like it's like Hey man, this is what Harbaugh does, right, Am I missing something there? Because at the forty nine ers, his his number one receiver was Michael Crabtree. He might have been a top twenty five receiver in the league when he was with the forty nine ers, and then Gay went the back to back NFC championship games in a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: No, and you're not wrong. And since I've been doing this for the NFL, at least since twenty fifteen, he's had three tight ends drafted. Luke Scoonmaker, who I liked a lot last year as the second rounder. He had Zach Gentry drafted in the fifth round in twenty nineteen, and then in twenty seventeen he had Jake but you remember, but was coming off with injury, so he was never the same player he was pre injury. But No, I think in Stanford you mentioned ones from Stanford who are even i'd say better than the ones I just mentioned. The tight end is a big part. Now. The one thing that's interesting, you know is his tight ends typically are going to be blockers as well, right, And I think brock Bowers will give you effort, but he's not going to be as good as blockers most of the ones you mentioned, so he would have to step out a little bit on that one. But I don't think the offense that I think Jim Harball is going to have to do a little bit more offensively. He's going to have to open up how he utilizes pass catcher and how he diverse bies his offense. But listen, the Chargers are a great team to talk about, you know, from a historical standpoint with Antonio Gates, Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates and an amalgamation of different wide receivers over the years, what Tony Gonzalez did for two different teams as a big time wide receiver, Rob Gronkowski there was not a great outside receiver for most of the time that Tom Brady was there, but Grounk was a huge factor. Like Travis Kelcey. Same thing right now in Kansas City. You look at tight ends and you have to think about them as a pass catcher. You can't label them tight end. They're pass catchers. And you make a really good point that you don't have to. You can get excited about wide receivers all you want, but the fact is they're going to be guarded by cornerbacks. You get a good tight end and they can mismatch players. They can mismatch say safety, they can mismatch linebackers. If you go too small on them, then they have a size advantage. If you go too slow, they have a speed advantage. So brock Bowers is a mismatch talent. Where you know, the third wide receiver Roma Dunze, for example, if he's the one on the board, neighbors is a speed mismatch. But I just I think it's a unique opportunity when you have a tight end who is the best clearly in the class. He just does things that other guys can't do, and he makes it harder to match up with you if you're the Chargers.
Speaker 2: What about it, Let's just say that they think it's too rich because you hear about the finances, and look, if you stick at five, it's yeah, it's hard to pick a tight end. You're talking about a four year commitment for thirty four million bucks. You know, brock Bauers immediately becomes one of the five highest paid tight ends in the league on his rookie contract, and you're trying to extract value from that. You pay an offensive tackle an average of you know, eight point seventy five million bucks for the first four years, then you're feel pretty good about that. Same with the wide receiver. Tight end is where they start to talk about. But a trade back situation with Bowers makes sense. But what about Lance the gap because we talk about Travis Kelce and George Kittle and Sam Laporta in the second round. If you were to wait, it seemed like the one name, well two names that kind of came out of the combine beyond brought Bauers were Jatavian Sanders and Theo Johnson. Just kind of thoughts on the tight end class. It felt like people felt a little bit better about the tight end class coming out of India than going in because last year's class was just so historic when it came to pace catchers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wanted tight end, you should have got one last year. I think this year. You know, for me, Theo Johnson is right now a little bit better tester than he is a player. You see flashes when he plays. But honestly, Warren, the tight end who went back to to Penn State, was the guy that I thought would be an early second rounder and probably the second tight end in his class, Jadeveon Sanders, I gotta be honest, money, I don't care what he ran. He plays fast, He assaults defenses down the seam. He has a big time three level weapon. I think when you looked at the speed of Xavier Worthy and ad Mitchell in Texas and you kind of get lost in the fact that Quinn yours, Frankly should have found j Tavion Sanders even more because this guy really was a matchup issue. He makes contested catches. He's not much of a blocker now, it's I think it's more of an effort thing. He has the size and you see, he has the strength, He has the physical capability to be a better blocker, but the effort level needs to improve. But as a pass catcher, I think he is a tremendous weapon. As a pass catcher, I think I think he would be a guy who could really, to me, unlock the potential of the passing game and might be something and Frankly, might be something that the Chargers could absolutely use in the second round because you have guys. Now, granted, you need to get younger on the outside, but if you can, if you can create an offense that that really forces the defense to play the entire width of the field. Then Tavi on Sanders is a guy that can outrun eventually his play speed, He outruns most coverage, and he gets contested catches against smaller targets. So I think Sanders is a highly underrated weapon of the tight end group. And to me, it goes Bowers is the clear one, but I think Sanders is the really clear two as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See it's you know, I think people get so fixated. It keeps saying people Charger fans, you know, they get fixated on on you know, number five and trading down and getting all these extra picks, and we know they have eight this year, and I'm guessing jeo Orty's like to get out of here with more like ten, eleven, even twelve. Maybe if you can figure that out, you can trade down another rounds. You can trade down from thirty seven. If there's players sitting there that somebody wants, you can go from thirty seven to forty eight and pick up an extra third rounder. Okay, so now you've got that. Now you got two third rounders, and now you can pick up an extra fourth rounder if you trade down from one of those so there are ways to do it that don't involve number five. But let's just say that that they're stuck, and they're stuck, and now we've got to figure out you know, you just can't quite extract the value.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I do think there's monetary value out of this as well, and I think that may be what people are forgetting. I mentioned you stick at number five and that four year contract is about thirty five million bucks. You trade back to eight and it goes from thirty five to twenty six million. You trade down to eleven and it goes from thirty five to twenty one million. That's going to help you out a lot. It's just it's more than just oh, I wish we would have got an extra first next year or a second, but and I think they'll be able to there's enough heat on these receivers. So here's what I'm getting at lance. How big of a jump from what they have right now to what they would be bringing in the way you've graded the talent right, So the offensive lineman they have Trey Pipkins, he's got two more years on his deal. He had a rough go last year, but he played pretty well the year before New offensive line coaches, Nick Hardwick coming in, Devlin coming in to lead that group. Obviously you have Greg Roman who's going to be coaching up the old line when it comes to run blocking and trying to figure something out that they have not been able to for the last ten plus years on the Chargers. How big of an upgrade would you see if it is one of those guys, if it's Lake them, if it's Fuaga, if it's alt from what they have right now in Trey Pipkins, and knowing that you have Slater locked over there on the left side, well.
Speaker 3: I mean, look the division you're in. I mean you gotta face Max Crosby and he usually comes from that side. So I think you've got to get better at right tackle. I think it's a big I think it's a big upgrade if you depending on certain guys. I think Fuaga is more of a pass protection upgrade. I think Joe Walt can do all of it is And I think for me, Latham is the top guy, because Latham for me is good, not great in pass pro, but I think he's good. He's very powerful, He's an elite run blocker. I mean, he will carve you in so you have to remember, now the running game is going to take on added significance. I know what Brandon Staley said in the past about running, but this is going to be an execution of the running game with Harball, and it's and it's going to be something that he makes a focus. And so when you have a right tackle who can absolutely cave people in. Harball got to see Latham play up close and personal in that playoff game. I think, you know, I would love him at the number five spot for Jim Harball. I think Harball would like him, would like alt Fuaga is a guy who is wired right. I think most of these offensive linemen who could be considered are wired right. The problem is money. I don't think there's I don't know. I mean, for me, I have Latham. I don't know if the Chargers would think there's a big enough difference between those top three, top four guys that they wouldn't really prioritize moving back. And I know that's going to be a comment a lot, but I'm not sure there's a significant break now. I do think there's a significant break in the wide receivers. I think when you look at neighbors and Harrison For me, they're the top two. Then comes Adonda, who's just under that. I like all three of them for the Chargers. Once you get past that, though, it's it's now you've got a few more question marks about Brian Thomas Junior. Love the speed, but I don't know if he's in the same category as those other guys. So when I think of it this way, would I like to put Neighbors or Harrison Junior? Would I like to try to put some pressure on Quentin Johnston? And maybe you know, the next guy up, whoever you draft, is going to be the replacement for Keenan or Mike Williams, you know, in terms of short term and then a certainly long term. I think I think wide receiver gives you more bang at the number five spot than tap does, just based on quick impact relative to the Chargers offense. But to your point, you do have to factor in, well, wait a minute, now, are you going to get the same bang from them in a Jim Harbaugh offense? I would say, I would say, you know, you could make the argument no historically, but Jim Harbaugh's never had you know, he's never had justin Herbert throwing to people either, So I think he has to. I think what we have to figure out is how much is he going to allow Herbert to do what he does best, and how much is he going to be centered on run established to run take more pressure off of Herbert. I think that's the unknown right now.
Speaker 2: You know, the one thing that we've watched year in and year out, specifically recently, so you have justin Herbert, this incredibly talented quarterback with you know, possibly the strongest arm in the league, and and defenses didn't care. We saw I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers saw the fewest amount of heavy boxes the league because they couldn't run the ball like they just did not you know, they they did not care. So I guess I understand, like, you know, you have a lighter box because you want to protect from the deep pass. But this was different. They were pressing. They would creep a safety up because they just did not honor that there was going to be a enough time to get the ball downfield. And b they just knew that they could stop the run with the lighter box. I guess that's what I'm getting at. I kind of explained it in the reverse they they did not need to get a heavy box to stop the run. So justin Herbert's deep throws were prevented, you know, from being as successful because there were there was constantly safety help. They never had to creep up in the box because these guys just could not run blocks. So for me, if you really want to unlock the offense, you have got to start forcing teams to get heavier in the box so Herbert can take advantage of it instead of having these guys you know, playing off and a safety too. Safeties deep and just there was very, very limited opportunities for him to push the ball downfield. I did a poor job of explaining it, but that's I hope you can understand what I'm getting at.
Speaker 3: No, I absolutely understand. I mean, it's you have to make them respect a run game and coaches. I know it feels like an antiquated notion with fans, but really, if you love a passing game, then you have to love your running game because once you have safeties that start to creep up near the line, once one team is imposing their will, linebackers have to play different. They start running more, you know, they start running more. Linebacker blitzes to slow down the run, you start dropping a safety in the box. All of this has an impact on the ability to take a safety out of the mix from a coverage standpoint and attack the field. And so the really good thing that Jim Harbaugh does in that regard is it's a run play action, run play action. It's almost like the old school Shanahan type stuff, although it's more power centric from the way he run blocks. It's not the outside zone, but he is. He's committed to You play the run, you play off of the run in your passing game. Now, is that best for Justin Herbert? Maybe not statistically, maybe not in fantasy football. Is it going to be best for maybe winning more games and the Chargers have won and controlling the tempo and being able to have better fourth quarters where you close out more games and turn them into wins as opposed to close losses. Yeah, it could be, because once you established the run and you impose your will, you start to convert some of those first downs and you don't punt at the end of games, giving teams a chance to break your heart again. I've listened to you on broadcasts on the radio many at times, and Chargers have had their hearts broken late in games, and I think that, you know, the philosophy needs to change over there. But at the same time, well, and that's why I'm excited about the fifth pick because I just truly believe that the top twelve, to have the top twelve players, top fourteen players in this draft are really good and can have a big impact. And man, if you can move back, and you talked about it, money, it's not going to be impossible to move back twice, not in this draft, not coming from five.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean, that's know Brett Coleman was talking about that the Holy Grail. Can you move from five to eight and then eight to fourteen something? You know, there's there's ways to do it because of the wide receivers and you know what Dallas Turner was able to do and what Mitchell was able to you know, there's there's going to be different positions if you're not too greedy, and.
Speaker 3: You know, and money something that you have to factor in. Okay, so what do people trade up for? It has to be one of the three or four most important positions quarterback, rush, wide receiver, and sometimes corner. So it just so happens that or or I'm sorry, offensive tackle. So you got tackle, you've got rush, you've got quarterback, and you've got wide receiver. Right, these just happen to be four of the most important positions at the time. Not only are they important, they're loaded in the top sixteen picks. So now it really gives you a great opportunity to move back because teams are going to want to trade up, They're going to want to deal.
Speaker 2: And I think one of the one of the things to remember, and we had this last week while we were out of the combine about this new staff is, you know, I'm not trying to disparage their recruiting, but they weren't Ohio State, they weren't Alabama, they weren't Georgia. They're Michigan and they're bringing in top twenty, top fifteen classes. But these are dudes they developed into NFL players. These are good coaches that develop talent. So it's all right if you don't if you decide to take that blue chip at five, or if you decide to trade back twice to eleven and then to sixteen, whatever it may be. I feel like this particular staff is able to do is able to accomplish what you're looking to accomplish because they have a track record of doing that. If that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, it's going to be interesting to come from college to the pros. Like, is that an advantage for Jim Harball. I can tell you this feels like it. It wouldn't surprise me if Harball is digging around on guys like Blake Korum. It wouldn't surprise me if he said we're going offensive tackle on the first round and we'll look at Wrong Wilson in the second. And that's not always great. I'd rather you just get the best players and you don't want to be too far in the bubble. And unfortunately, I think coaches when they when they come from college into the pros, they tend to go with what they know. And so I do think there's going to be players who he recruited. That's something else that's not really talked about a lot. But the other thing that you have to watch for is players coaches who recruited a player that went to another team or they they keep that in mind too. Like that that plays big into the draft as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that could be Marvin Harrison if it goes one, two, three, four quarterback. Sure, you know he had to face them every year, and Jim Harbaugh could say to Joe Harti's hey man, this guy's a nightmare. This guy is an absolute nightmare. He tortured me. I stayed up late wondering how we were going to slow him down. Just stick and pick and let's not even think about it. So that's that's the other thing, right It sounds like.
Speaker 3: You're on Are you on the stick and Pick team?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not, just because I have seen this team unravel because of depth issues year in and year outlands you know where Joey Bosa has really struggled to stay healthy. You know, we saw Rashaan Slater two years ago go down. Now, Jamari Sawyer stepped in and did an admirable job, but it was not a Rashawn Slater job, and we saw Like That's the thing about the Jacksonville game is we all sort of marveled at how well Justin played, how solid Jamari Sawyer was at left tackle. But one of the things that I think people failed to see was no, they still couldn't run the ball and when they needed to win games, when they needed to have a four minute drill. That Jacksonville game was a product and it was it was magnified, it was amplified. Their inability to run the ball showed up in a big way that day, as did their lack of depth at corner because once Mikey Davis went down and got hurt, they were done. And now Trevor Lawrence has taken advantage of them on the outside and they can't run the ball. It's three and out. They're trying to milk as much clock as they can, you know, up twenty seven to seven in the second half, and they couldn't do anything about it. So I think that's people have to you know, I think it's important to acknowledge. Maybe it's not just the starter, but how high of a level is, you know, is your replacement, because that game, to me, really amplified what has been a serious issue for this team the last few years with Justin Herbert at quarterback, and that's it's been very hard for them to overcome injuries because of the lack of depth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the only way you build depth is by adding picks, Yeah, making your picks, not leaning on short term free agency. And then I think most importantly the evaluation processes. For any team that wants to build a sustainable winner, you've got to be able to draft well in rounds two through five. I mean, it's just it's really not up for debate. You don't have to let every pick, but in a year that you don't hit a fifth, next year you need to hit a fifth. And when I say hit, it can just be somebody who's quality depth on the roster and good on special teams.
Speaker 2: That's good enough, no doubt, no doubt, And that's that's something look to. Tom did a great job of pretty much nailing every one of his first round picks, and after that there were some really solid players in the second and third round, and there were also some misses in the second and third round. Like you said, so you had two lead that hit, you had chennon Uusu that hit, but then you also had some misses, particularly on the offensive line. Dan Feeney, Forrest Lamp Like those are guys that are in their late twenties right now. That you hit on those, in my gosh, you're feeling really good about what you have up front. Instead of asking, okay, do we need a center guard, right tackle? Is that what we're talking about. I have faith that Zion's going to be okay. I think this coaching staff he's just too big, he's too strong. I've seen it in bursts for me not to believe that Zion Johnson's not going to be okay. I think he's gonna be fine. You know, Sawyer just did not make an adjustment to guard. It didn't quite work for him. It just it wasn't quick enough and just repeatedly would get beat off the jump. So I'm not sure what the solution is there. They obviously need a center because Corey Linsley's retiring, and right tackle it's been a big peaks and valleys with Trey Lance. I'll get you out of here on this. You mentioned running back. There's gonna be a There's a lot of free agents available. The Chargers are still after letting go of Eric Kendricks. At the time we record this, that's all that's been done, and there's going to be more done to get this number lower. I don't know how realistic spending a bunch of money on Derrick Henry or Swift or Saquon Barkley, you know how that is? What about the group of running backs?
Speaker 1: That you saw.
Speaker 2: We heard they met with Ray Davis. Seemed like he had a really good combine. How does this group of running backs look to you?
Speaker 3: It's a little light. I think the top running back is Jonathan Brooks, who's coming off an ACL tear. But I think he's a legitimate high second round pick in most drafts, will probably slide into the latter part of the second depending on how the medicals go. Jalen Right, I thought, really helped himself from Tennessee. Now I like Jalen Right, I already liked him, but just running fast. When you have size and speed like that, it matters. Trey Benson had a terrific combine. I think he clearly has has has put himself in the top three and depending on how teams take a look at that. So that's that's more of a big guy. What's that?
Speaker 1: Trey Benson's a big guy.
Speaker 3: He big guy, about two hundred and twenty pounds, ran fast, jumps high. He just sometimes plays a little more finesse than he needs to.
Speaker 4: You wanted to.
Speaker 3: Remember that he's big sometime and play big and not try to get to clever, especially in the NFL when it's much greater speed. He's gonna have to learn to finish better. But once you get past Marshaun Lloyd could be from UFC, could be a third into the fourth round pick, and then it becomes kind of the Ray Davis territory, which I think is maybe late three into the mid four. He's gouy named Tyrone Tracey, who I'm a big fan of, who can run and catch. But there's a lot of it's just okay. From a depth standpoint, I mentioned Blake Korum I think is a good backup, a good second back. Braylan Allen's got a chance to be that Will Shipley I like, is the James Cook type, kind of a poor man's James Cook. So but it's not really loaded up. Unless you go top three or four running backs, you may not have the guy that's uh, you know. I say that, But then again, Jim Harball is like, no, we'll get two guys and we're gonna start hammering people. So it just it takes a guy like Ray Davis. I'm looking right now. The guys who fit that mold would be uh marshawn Oh. I think Ray Davis would really fit that. Blake Krum brayln Allen, Cody Schrader, like, these are all guys who are going to be at the earliest late third and into the fifth round.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 3: So it wouldn't shock me if they drafted running backs. But they did not put a top, you know, a top Day one, Day two, great on any of them.
Speaker 2: Right, just you know, like kind of what what Green Day does every year They take a receiver in the second or third round or fourth round or what. Just take receivers. So for Jim Harbo, take running backs, take take two whatever.
Speaker 3: Take running backs. I'm looking at Jason McClelland from Alabama. I mean, there's guys on Day three you could find that could come in just like Karen Williams did with the Rams and become a major factor.
Speaker 2: Lance, you know you're busy, freaking awesome. Really really appreciate you doing this. You can follow him on Twitter at Lancer line z I E R L e I N. He does it for NFL dot Com. All those scouting reports that you click on as you prepare for the draft, we're written by Lance. He is one of the best in the business and we love having him. Certainly appreciate you hopping on here. For a post Combine wrap Lance, thank you, you got it.
Speaker 3: Thanks buddy.
Speaker 2: All Right, folks bonus content in addition to Lance post Combine for the rap on what we saw there in Indianapolis, also had a chance to catch up with Chargers Assistant general manager Chad Alexander.
Speaker 5: All Right, So one of the best parts of the off season is just getting to know the new faces around the Chargers organization. Very please be joined by one of them. Assistant general Manager Chad Alexander joins us now on Chargers Weekly. Chad, first and foremost, Welcome to LA even though we're in Indy. How's the adjustment been so far?
Speaker 4: It's been great, you know what I mean. It's just we've been there a couple of weeks and we were able to kind of hit the ground running and uh met a lot of great people within the organization and and started a round of draft meetings. It was really productive, and it's it's it's been awesome, you know what I mean. It's been been a really good experience.
Speaker 2: So you spend a lot of time in Baltimore the last I think half decade with with the New York Jets. Is everything the same, just pick up and take what you've done thus far on all these players, and you go from the Jets to here, and it's just kind of the same work that you've already done pretty much.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a little different obviously for for for several different reasons, but the philosophy is pretty much the same because you know, we were we were all kind of taught by Ozzie and and and and came up under Ozzy and and uh, you know Joe d you know, shares that same philosophy and obviously, uh Hortiz does as well. So uh, there are some differences obviously within each organization, but but the chemistry and the feel of it, the feel of it is the same. It really is, and it's it's really the same process. So it's it's been it's been really good.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, how seamless is it to just you know Joe, you know, how he operates to come into the building and you said he's a connector Yeah, how has that adjustment been probably just like riding a bike.
Speaker 4: A little bit. Yeah, there's been a little bit of an adjustment just in terms of uh, just with new people and and and new organization and stuff like that. But Joe is an awesome personnel guy, like he first of all, he's a great guy, you know what I mean. And then he he does he does a great job of connecting the building. He brings the energy every day. Uh, he's uh, you know, he's really smart. He's really passionate about what he does. So it's really easy to to to to kind of to to to pick up and and and to move and and and under Joe. He he does a great job of connecting the building and and as a leader, he does a great job. So it's been I wouldn't say seamless because you know, there's obviously you know, you gotta grind, you gotta you gotta you gotta work at it, and you got you gotta be there for a long time. You got to figure things out and figure figure out the processes and how people do things within the organization. But at the same time, it's been it's been awesome. It's been a lot of fun, you know what I mean. It's been like I said, great, great people within the Chargers organization, really talented people, uh that want to win. So that that that that's what's made it. That's what's made a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Mention oz Ozzie knew some arguably, you know, in the conversation, is the best front office executive in the history of the league. Without I guess, I don't think you'll be giving up any state secrets here, but he said, it's all kind of similar. Yeah, what made Baltimore so good and consistent for so many years team building?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was it's just you know, the culture that you know, the culture matters most anywhere you go. It's it's the people. It's the quality of the people within the organization. And like I said, everybody wants to feel like like they're invested, and you know, it's really just it's the trust that that that everyone has for each other and the accountability. Everyone holds each other accountable. And I would say that Ozzie is just he's he's really really good in terms of consistency, in terms of you know, trusting the process, believing in the process. I've never really seen him, you know, rattled in any situation, some high pressure situations. Man, he is, he is, He's the best. And I really think that, you know, he was obviously a Hall of Fame player, but really like he's a Hall of Fame executive definitely as well. So you couldn't ask for a better situation or a better guy to learn under.
Speaker 5: Chad, Your your thoughts on this roster has currently constructed obviously the charge route in New York this year from a winner night football game, and uh, a lot of moving parts, a lot of decisions that need to be made, but just you know, first glance, your thoughts on this roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, you know, first glance, you know, you take a look at the quarterback. You know, it's just he's a great player and a great competitor, and and you know, we're lucky to to to land it. I'm lucky to land at a place that that's got a great player at that position like that, you know what I mean, A young guy who is big guy, he's you know, six six, he's got a rocket arm, he's really tough, and he's really really smart as well. So I mean you know that that, you know, it all starts with that, and then and then there's there's some other great pieces on the roster as well, obviously, you know what I mean. So so yeah, it's it's it's it's a it's a good situation.
Speaker 2: Definitely, we uh, We kind of heard from everyone that that had their press conferences, starting with you know, coach Harball, then with with Georgie's and now with Greg Roman running game, physical, Yeah, attacked at the at the line of scrimmage. That's something that you obviously did in in Baltimore for a number of years.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, is that premium picks?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like, what what's the best way to make sure that that those fronts are as good as they can be? How do you how do you build it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean you build it. You want to make sure obviously that that that you that you build it, you know, through the trenches, you know what I mean, the old line and D line, strong, strong run game, ability to stop the run, and and and you know we have we have a great coach who's done that everywhere he's been in Jim Harbaugh. So you know the same philosophy that that his brother John has with with the Ravens. And you know, it's uh, you know, I really feel like you know, all all all of the all used to be just the left tackle position was was considered a premium position or for you know, for for for the old line. But I really feel like all the offensive line positions or premium positions, and so that that's really important to be to be able to build that up and and to to create the type of identity that you want to create with the physicality and the run game and and and that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know, I think about the jet and obviously you're there for the last half decade, and you know, I remember when when we were going through it and Elijah Vera Tucker was a very real possibility Slater ends up sliding, you end up getting one of the best left tackles. But maybe if you can build on that, because we know there's some really good centers in this draft, there's some really good guards. So yeah, how has that changed in the last let and when did it change where you were willing to invest those premium picks in those interior alignments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that, that's a good question. I think it kind of just evolved with uh, you know, everything starts with the quarterback, you know what I mean. It's it's it's about protecting the quarterback. And some a lot of quarterbacks, you know, obviously when they're blindside protected and the edges protected. But there's a lot of quarterbacks that they prefer like that middle, that the interior line to be the most firm part of the of the old line. And so you know, it's you got you got to make sure that all five are are really really really good, really smart. You know, versatility in there, you know, adds to their value being able to play you know, multiple different positions. But yeah, I think I think it's it's it's definitely become you know, all the positions on the on line have become premium positions.
Speaker 5: Chad, how important was it to work with John now working with Jim knowing that they do have the same philosophy because of course the front office has got to be a lockstep with the head coach. And you know, solom maybe different from Jim, and Jim is you know, similar to John but maybe a little bit different. But having that experience with John, how how beneficial is that for you guys moving forward?
Speaker 4: I think I think it's great. I mean, you know, i'd never really i'd met Jim and passing and stuff like that, but it didn't didn't really know him and obviously worked with John for years and and they're very similar, you know what I mean, They're all about ball, which is you know, you can't ask for anything more as a as a personnel guy, you know what I mean to come in and you know, Jim, he's I think he does a great job of connecting the building. He does a great job of you know, building relationships and having those discussions. He asked really good questions, and he's really smart. He's got a great sense of humor. And so it's you know, so far, it's it's been awesome, you know, just working with him and being around him and and and starting to understand that the stuff that he appreciates and he likes. But but yeah, it's it's really about toughness, about you know, it's about the culture. It's about you know, running the ball, building a strong offensive line, and and and both of those brothers definitely definitely share that that philosophy.
Speaker 2: When it comes to kind of getting ready for you know, the campaign that that'll start, you know with training camp and then obviously when games get going, first thing that comes up is cap compliance. Second thing that comes up, free agency, and then the draft. Just kind of I don't know if it's general philosophy or what you've sort of subscribed to your whole career. Is there a right way, especially when you come in and you're trying to change your culture and you're trying to establish something. Is it free agency? Is it making sure the rosters right? Is it the draft? Like what's the best what's the right way to build this thing.
Speaker 4: We've always kind of believed that the draft is like the bloodline of your organization and it's the most cost effective form to build your team. And and so it's, uh, you know, it probably starts with the draft, I would say, you know what I mean. But but it's like you say, there's a lot of moving parts. You know, there's free agency, there's you know, undrafted free agency, there's there's trade possibilities, there's you know, guy getting guys that are cap cuts and stuff like that. It's it's it's, uh, you have to you know, kind of cast a wide net. But but it's, uh, it's pretty much all encompassing. Like it's all the parts you know that that are moving at one time, but just being able to try to build the roster to the best of your ability and and uh and and and bring the right people in you know, the right players, definitely, But but you want to you want to make sure you bring the right people in, you know, in terms of in terms of the players.
Speaker 5: Is it a bit of an advantage the fact that Jim is coming from the Big Ten and there's eighteen Michigan guys here. There's a ton of Big Ten top prospects that he probably has thoughts on intel on that you guys can collaborate and talk about.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, that that that's a huge advantage. I mean, he has intimate knowledge of all those Michigan guys as well as everybody from the staff that they came from Michigan. So that's a huge advantage for us. And you know, they're a great team. And then you know, obviously they won it all and they got a lot of representation here in India and they've all learned it. So it's uh, yeah, that that's that's a that's an advantage, definitely.
Speaker 2: I would assume, you know, we see it. There's certain teams that draft guys from certain schools. You know, for whatever reason, there's there's just connection there. As someone that has been evaluating these Michigan players, what can you say about just sort of what you saw happen there and the development and what they were putting into the draft year after year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just I mean just you know, extremely consistent in terms of the type of individuals that they that they you know, put out every year from on a year. To your basis, you know, they're gonna be tough. You know, they're going to be extremely competitive. You know they're going to be you know, great teammates, and you know they're going to be really smart. You know. So it's uh it you know that as a basis because if they if they weren't that, they wouldn't be playing at Michigan, you know, So that that's that's an advantage you know, definitely coming out of coming out of that those you know that that type of program and and coming coming to our level, you know what I mean, it makes it almost a little bit of a seamless transition for them, you know. So and they've had a lot of success. So so yeah, that's uh that that they're they're a great program, great program.
Speaker 5: Chaz is a tough business man. It's a it's a small tight knit fraternity, uh coaches, GMS, scouts. Just the fact that you hear, now, how would you describe this process for you knowing that you're not gonna be teamed up with Joe in l A and and a brand new role.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's it's really exciting. Man. I'm just you know, really pumped about the opportunity. You know, I'm psyched about it, you know. And uh, like I said, we've tried to hit the ground running. And you know, there's a lot of great people, a lot of talented individuals in the Chargers organizations. So just working collaboratively with them, and you know, Joe's like I said, Joe's greatly or he understands that the best decisions mostly come through discussion, you know what I mean, and being collaborative and everyone you know, kind of coming to a cumulative a decision. And it's not about you know, who makes the decision. It's not about who's right. It's about being right as an organization. So that's that's the cool part about it, you know. And and and that was the same way with Joe Deeve, It's the same way with Ozzy and those guys. They's and Eric the cost it's really it's, uh, they don't ask anything from people that work under them that they don't bring to the table every day themselves. You know what I mean, they're extremely passionate, they're versatile, they're humble, they're loyal, they're smart, and uh, you know, and and and they're they're able to uh to build trust. You know what I mean. Trust is it's a tough thing that it's a hard thing to develop, but it's easy to lose, you know what I mean? And and and those guys are proven through their leadership that they're able to able to navigate it. Well.
Speaker 2: Going back to what you were talking about with the Michigan players, have you figured out I assume you know your patent it and sell it if you if you could figure it out.
Speaker 1: Football's tough. You've got to be tough to play football.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you don't put on a plastic outfit and run into guys that are twice your size. But have you figured out how to find toughness? How to find those guys that love football? Is like, how do you figure that out?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I think I think here at the Combine is a great opportunity to just get to know players, you know what I mean, to get to know their story, to know their their background, their history. There is a lot of talented guys here from a lot of different backgrounds a lot of different situations, and uh, you get to really figure out that their love of the game, you know, and and it's also you know, when you go into the school during the fall and make the school calls and and get the background you know from from the sources, and you know, a lot of times you can find out that way as well. But but yeah, it's tough, you know what I mean, It's it's not it's not an exact science, but uh, but but if you're able to kind of read people and understand, uh, you know, what makes him tick, it makes it a little easier. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of ask. It's changed now because we have access to everything. We can see everything, Every game is televised, you can get film on everything. But I remember doing a doing an Oregon State game and was talking to Mike Riley and we were talking about Quiz Rogers and he told the story of He's like, you know, I had no idea who Quiz was. I went to get James. And when I went to get James, they were like, oh, you got to see his brothers.
Speaker 4: Brothers.
Speaker 2: In that moment, I offered both of them because I knew nobody else knew who Quiz was. Do you have any can you think of like some of those when you showed up at a maybe it's a small school and you're scouting someone and then you end up kind of stumbling into somebody else.
Speaker 4: Uh well, no, I mean Jacobe Jones is a story that I remember definitely, because you know, he was at Lane and uh, you know, you go there and they practice at night and and shoot, you know, no lights or anything like that, and he's out there grabbing everything and and and so you know, he was a guy that kind of stands out from that standpoint. Uh. But yeah, I mean it. You know every year there are guys that that pop up, you know, kind of out of nowhere. But but you know, we'll we'll, we'll, we'll find them. They'll get on they'll definitely get on our radar, radar one way or another.
Speaker 5: You know. I know, it's full speed ahead with work. But hey, you're out Los Angeles. Now, what are you most looking forward to with the family and getting into La?
Speaker 4: Uh? You know, yeah, I haven't really had an opportunity to, uh to spend much time, you know, hanging out or anything like that. But just you know, the weather, you know you can't be you know what I mean, just being being in the Northeast for the most part throughout most of my career and now you know, coming out to coming out to sunny California. It's it's beautiful. And it's been raining for the past couple of weeks, you know, but that'll change. Yeah, it'll change. I heard, I heard this just a rainy season. So but uh, but yeah, definitely definitely looking forward to that and just just hanging out and you know, looking forward to the kids coming out and and and enjoying that as well. And got it right here.
Speaker 1: I see the beach.
Speaker 4: It's ready, exactly, no doubt. Yeah, try to bring the powder Blues. There we go.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. I appreciate I appreciate your time. Man, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: So I'll do it our post combine edition of Chargers Weekly. Remember next week, this team is going to probably look drastically different when we do this on Thursday. The beginning of the league year is Wednesday, March thirteenth. Already saw Eric Kendricks let go. And you're going to have some redone contracts, some trades movement, maybe outright release. But there are going to be a number of things that are done between now and when we start this pod a week from today, because Wednesday, March thirteenth, four pm Eastern, beginning of the league year. So keep your eyes on all the Chargers social media spots to keep up the speed with everything that's going on in this constantly changing landscape of a Chargers roster with all these new folks in the front office,