Speaker 1: Hi, Hello, welcome. This is Let's talk about mis Baby and I am your host live as always, there's never anyone else here to start the podcast, and I am here today with a very fun episode once again for Women's History Months. I mean, I like it. It feels a little performative, you know, the whole thing. I'll be honest, and it is pretty white. But from an entirely personal perspective when it comes to Women's History Month, I just appreciate that it really does give me a theme to work off of, because honestly, sometimes the hardest thing about this show is just picking a topic. You know, seven years in, it's tough, which is why I then get to like hord episodes and ideas for months like this, so you know, if anything, I can be grateful for that, and that is what leads me to today's conversation. Today's conversation is with returning guest and generally lovely human and fellow podcaster and homeric specialist. I'm really bad at academia terms anyway, it's Julia Pirni, who is just so lovely. Julia is the host of the podcast Classically Trained, which you know because its hosts are like doing PhDs and shit. It's you know, not necessarily as prolific as mine, but it is a wonderful podcast about reception of things featuring the classical world. So much fun. But a while back, a while back, I'll be honest, Julia and I sat down to record this episode. It had you have been in the fall, but you know, Women's month, and it was such a thrill of an episode. I still remember that I basically was on Twitter in the olden days and Julia tweeted about writing a dissertation on a queer theory reading of Circe, and I literally just replied like, okay, so you're coming on my show to talk about this, and then here we are. So the preface is this was recorded a while back. It's obvious and things like talking about Twitter only recently becoming x. It's a whole deal a little timely, but it was just like a true joy to talk with Julia about this and to listen to all these incredible queer theory readings when it comes to Circe in Homer's Odyssey. And so that is what today's episode is all about. It is all about Circe as another just as an alternate someone beyond the binary, the dichotomy that you know typically existed in reading these types of things from the ancient world. So I just want to clarify that is what the topic is about today. This, this sort of Circe beyond the confines of the old school binary, utterly, utterly fascinating. Really, I mean, I'm just gonna let you all listen to it, because I just did, and I really, I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun having Julia back. I could talk about I mean, either Circe or the Odyssey literally forever and be perfectly happy. So this was a joy, and it was a particular joy listening back to it after so long since I recorded. Those are just those are just fun when you're like, oh right, oh my god, this was great. I'm so glad I get to finally share it with people. So on that note, enjoy conversations on Circe's Island, Anything is possible queer theory with Julia Paroni. So I was thinking about this. I was thinking about the like, how I would open this conversation earlier, because I've done with you what I've done a couple times with other guests, where like I will hear a topic and be like, I want to learn. I want you to come on and talk about it, and then I'll like jot it down and then I'll promptly like not forget the topic, but like forget all the details that made me want to talk to you about it. So like in your case, I wrote down like queer Circe and then that's all I remember. I mean, it's pretty self explained where I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be fair, I think that's basically all I said in the tweet that caused you to like go I emoji at me. So there wasn't much substance to the pitch.
Speaker 1: As it were, Well, it doesn't take much for you said ords, yes.
Speaker 2: I mean listen that is you know, it's all you need.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, we're seriously here for it. So yeah, I'm just excited tell me everything.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally, I mean, and I can just kind of I So I I read through the thesis this morning and sort of made some notes for myself of like the highlights of stuff that I felt like I could explain in a reasonable way and some stuff I I can go into, like at great length and probably not make any sense because it's like dense queer theory stuff, but other things are like here's a fun highlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I mean I we can kind of go into anything. Like I've definitely like, this won't be the first episode touching on queer theory, not that I have done that, but other people have come on and taught me about it, which is great. So yeah, like whatever you want, honestly, but like, why don't you tell me, like how you got the idea to study this concept of queer sercey and then like the basics and then we can kind of go from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So I've been working on queer like Homer stuff for a while. Actually, when I did my first master's degree at King's College, London, I wrote my my master's dissertation, which is what they call it in England. They go the other way master's dissertation doctoral thesis than we do here.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know because I have a BA and we didn't even have to do like whatever one in the BA is for mine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I yeah, so I but I while I was in the UK, I wrote a dissertation quote unquote master's dissertation and that was on Achilles and I was dealing with a sort of queer approach to Achilles, and I have remained interested in thinking about queer approaches to Homer. So not the spring that just passed, but the spring of twenty twenty two. I took a seminar on queer and feminist theory, and you know, when I was fishing around for a topic, I knew that I wanted to work on something Homeric. I'd kind of already had that in my head. I did a book review on a book that was about like women in Homer, and then I was kind of thinking about seriously jumped out to me, and I think it was kind of it was one of those like gut instinct things that I then had to go hunt for an academic justification for, which is like pretty common. I was like, okay, like there's something here that is that is like ringing a little queer bell in the back of my mind, and I need to dig it up. So I went thinking about how to go about that, and I wrote a version. I wrote a paper for that class that turned into essentially the first draft of what became my second master's thesis, which I can tell you the title of, Actually Please So Desire the title of which somewhat a somewhat boring title Crossing Path, Crossing Lines reading sirci as Queer in the Odyssey, which I wrote and submitted this spring, and the sort of the crossing Lines part of that is a reference to what I ended up choosing as the kind of the main theoretical framework of the project, which is Sarah Ahmad's Queer Phenomena, which is a great book. I highly recommend it. But it is also phenomenology, which is like very very philosophical and kind of complicated and hard to explain, but essentially comes down to a system of ideas about how objects in the world acquire meaning through interaction, like that a table isn't a table until it's used as a table in a repeated way.
Speaker 3: That makes sense, If that makes sense, Yeah, I like that, And.
Speaker 2: Yes, phenomenology nomenology a study of phenomenon in the world and how we and how we, yeah, how we experience things, and how by experiencing them and by interacting with them they come to take on these meanings and we change like action creates the meaning of in the world. So that sort of school of philosophy is where the early groundwork of Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity came from, for example, that gender is something that you do, not something that just is. So in some ways it's quite foundational to some of some very foundational queer theoretical stuff. But phenomenology itself is like very it's like very theory. But Ahmed's Queer Phenomenology is I think, a mercifully lucid book and like written in a way that makes sense of the whole thing. And of course I cannot possibly explain it very well because it is an extremely dense idea. But some of the stuff she touches on in that book, particularly the concepts the sort of central concepts of orientation and disorientation and relatedly ideas about comfort and feeling at home versus feeling disorientated or being disorientated due to the way that we interact with each other and the way that we encounter social expectations which are in themselves which sort of create objects that we interact with, and what objects, in both the physical and abstract sense, we are able to like connect with in the world. So and how as a queer person those interactions, the things that are in the objects or bodies that are in reach are different from the sort of standard what she calls sedimented line or pattern of experience and behavior, and a lot of this is very interesting and useful for thinking about and she does a bunch of stuff not only with sexuality but also with rape and thinking about migration in later chapters in the book, which is very useful for dealing with the Odyssey, which is a book about a story about traveling, you know, and about encountering the strange and then finding like working your way back towards something normal. And so my thesis really focuses on Seius and what is what seriously is embedded in which is the what are sometimes called like the journey books or the story books or whatever, like where Odysseus, when Odysseus is narrating the tales of his many adventures to the feats books eight through twelve, I think wine through twelve, Yes, the ones that everybody knows all the stories from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best parst people, honest, totally.
Speaker 2: When when most people think about what happens in the Odyssey, they're thinking about these particular like four and a half ish books, because all of the actual adventures happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all in flashbacks. It's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's it's a Disseus telling what happened to him, which introduces this like aspect of the unreliable narrator, you know, mister nobody king, King of unreliable narrators, but also provides an opportunity to think about orientation to narrative, orientation through narrative, like how Odysseus interacts, but also how his interactions are shaping the audience's expectations, because in many ways people have made compelling arguments about how the stories that Odysseus tells are meant to kind of model correct behavior to the theations so that they will do the right thing and let him go because he's aware when he's telling these stories that, uh, I A guess I think is the name of the king embarrassing that I can never remember. I always want to call the King of the Theations Aolis. But that's the that's.
Speaker 1: The But I feel like it's not because I was just reading someone somebody else. I know, there's like lots of double up names.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm Alkinois Alcinois is the is the King of the Theations. I always have that there's too many a'sus is someone else here, right, But yeah, so that he wants al kins because well, Kennowas has kind of there's sort of a sense I think that al Kinos wants Odysseus to marry his daughter in Nowsa Keia and like stay and be absorbed into their people, and Odysseus doesn't want that to happen, so he's telling stories about his great escapes, you know, to sort of say I'm not I don't want to stay here, which is kind of interesting in itself, and it means that as a scholar of this, of the Odyssey in general, but of the section of the Odyssey, there's some interest in looking at the different ways that Odysseus deals with all the different encounters that he has and which ones sort of disarm him the most. And Susi is by far the most weird and dangerous in certain ways because of all of the others. I of the opinion that she is the one who comes the closest to actually taking Odysseus himself off track. He's like committed to getting home and all of the other negative encounters he has and dangerous encounters places where he loses his men places where you know, he's detained by a host various things. He himself has never fully taken in by that, except with Sirs, where he actually does forget about his nostas, his homecoming and his desire for that for a full year, and he has to be reminded by his men. It's the only time that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: So I ended up digging in a little bit and thinking about what it is about Sirs that is so disorientating. What is it about her that drags him away from that, you know, wrenches him out of that pattern and that thing that he has been doing all along, this desire to return home to his you know, his lawfully married wife and his legitimate son. You know, like it's this very like heteronormative cis heteropatriarchal like mold that he's trying to get back into, and seriously almost manages to get him out of that. And in fact, like at both ends, he's only spared in the initial sort of volley with her because Hermes intervenes. Hermes comes down and says, hey, I'll help you. You're going to be in trouble. He knows there's a problem, but he has no way to fight her without help from the gods. And then at the end when after their exchange and he seems to come out on top, then he forgets for a full year. So what is it about her that is so out there? You know? And I mean, I love seriously, I think she's really interesting. I wish we got more. You know, obviously it's you know, it's Homers, so we don't really get what's going on in her head.
Speaker 1: No, and she doesn't really like appear anywhere outside of Homer until you get later where they're just playing on her in Homer, but like, yeah, you don't really like the sense of her she's most interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and she gets so the next like, I think, the next thing I can think of is her appearance in Apollonius, where she is quite defanged. She shows up in the Argonautica and she she performs this ritual to to clear the miasma from Jason and Media for their murder of Media's brother, but then she she sort of turns them away. She agrees to do it, but then she turns them away because you know, that's also her nephew that they killed. So she's like, you know, I'll do this because it's within my power and you're my niece. But but then you have to go essentially, so it's it's a much more defanged Serius than what we get in the Odyssey, where she is extremely scary. She's she's like very threatening because she just can't be stopped. And yeah, so and one of the things that I kind of laid out in my thesis is that one of the reasons I think she's so scary is that that there are these two So when as a disseuse travels through the story, there are these two kind of patterns that immerge, which a lot of scholars have picked up on and talked about. There's a lot of scholarship on the Odyssey and sort of Homer in general is very like structuralists. You know, here are these dichotomies that emerge, and we're gonna talk about things in contrast to each other, but they tend to be very binary, which is why I'm like want to stick my little queer theory fingers in there and be like, nice dichotomy, you got there, what's outside of it? You know?
Speaker 3: Like I just.
Speaker 1: Say, you've given me now two possible titles for this episode, and because like earlier I wrote down that ringing a little queer bell, but now you just said like sticking your little queer fingers. It's like, I'm like, maybe that one's weirder, But I just want to say I really appreciate both options.
Speaker 2: H both are good. Well, I'm sure I will continue to say such unhinged things.
Speaker 1: You're gonna keep I'm just gonna have to pick from so many.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish your luck. Yeah. The nice thing about classically trained is we just get to use the title of the media. It's very easy.
Speaker 1: See anyway, I like to have some fun. But sometimes there's just too many wild things to you. But you know, it's a good it's a good problem to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like I love Yeah, that's That's what's compelling to me about queer theory is like picking apart dichotomies and binaries that other people have identified and saying, Okay, well, what's working about this?
Speaker 2: Was not working about this and the thing that, And so I kind of built my own. I sort of built my own binary, which I'm like four months out from this thesis and I'm already like I didn't need to do that, or like I could have done it in a more sort of this is a spectrum, and Cerc is still weird or like at the far end of it, or even defies it entirely, but like, there is a spectrum here than this sort of dichotomy that I set up in the argument of the original. But like, I did that in part to point out the way in which Searsly tends to get identified either as like scary witch who's going to hurt you or kill you or whatever, or like exotic seductress who's gonna like make Odysseus stay forever with her sexy wiles, you know, which is are kind of to be fair in some ways the two types that we get in the Journey books, But in other ways I was like, well, I think really what we're seeing is like the encounters that he has where he's dealing with people who are to a lesser or greater extent like host types that they welcome Odysseus and his men. They feed them, they offer them conveyance on to their next place, they give them gifts. They sort of are at least semi obedient to uh what's called Xenia, the like guest friendship sort of tropes. Yeah, and then people and then the encounters that are like the exact opposite of that where they try to eat Odysseus and his men and we have a bunch of kind of cannibals that are floating around and Seriously manages to be both of those things.
Speaker 1: And good for her, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's very interesting because like it means that she's not really she doesn't fit in, and also she very actively manipulates the expectations of a host in order to entrap and kill and in my opinion, eat the people who come to her island. This is the like conspiracy theory section of the paper, but I strongly, I am like fully on board, even though I can't one hundred percent defend this academically with seriously also being a cannibal or kind of a cannibal because she's not really a human, but none of these guys are. They're all.
Speaker 1: You know, because the idea would be that she eats them after she's turned them into pigs, right yeah. Yeah, So then that's really interesting too because it's like what counts as cannibal, Like does she decide that she's not one because she's like, well, no, no, I've made them pigs, so it's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And and like does she does she eat them? So there's there's kind of two things to that particular argument, and one of them is that pigs in the Homeric world are meat animals. They are raised basically just for eating and for sacrificing. And when you sacrifice an animal, you then eat the meat. Some of it's offered as food to the gods and some of it's consumed by humans. But like that's what pigs are for, is for eating. So I think pigs is kind of an interesting choice in a certain way, like they have no other livestock purpose. And then the second thing is this this sort of creeping horror of Cirses Island where it seems like it's it's plausible that all of the animals that they encounter on the island are transformed humans. There's like two reasons. One of them is that the same so there's similar language used of the like the like lions and stuff, and that she has these like enchanted lions, it fun like dogs and are you know, sort of under her sway that that scare the men when they're approaching her house and they're described in similar terms to the men themselves. Once they've been transformed, there's like language that's the same and then the other thing, and they're also there's a particular word that's that's used. The Greek word is pelaron or paluron, and it's it means like monster in a very specifically like this is some kind of magical creature kind of sense of monster. And that word, interestingly, and here's the like galaxy brain moment. That word also gets you. I don't claim credit for this someone. There's like a paper that I cite in the thesis, which I can I can look up so you can put it in the show notes by a guy named Russell. But that that word paleron.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I'm just gonna joke about it. I don't even have show notes I have just because I'm a lazy. I mean some of it. I put out too many episodes. But if people are interested, we can get it for them.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I'm happy to tweet about it when the episode comes out. But that that word palron also gets used. Of the stag. There's a giant stag that Odysseus encounters in the forest when he's scouting the island, and he hunts that stag and kills it in language basically exactly the same as it's very like iliatic language, like describing two warriors meeting in combat, and he kills the stag and he and his men eat it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like I've heard the argument of the stag being possibly a person before, and I'm fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you've got so much more going on in it. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so there's this like the thing with the stag, and then there's the thing with the pigs, which, for the record, and edgart Baker's Eggbrit Bocker's book The Meaning of Meat, which is all about the Odyssey and food and feasting and eating in the Odyssey, great really interesting book. He talks about this very briefly. There's like a half page where one of the things he brings up is that in sort of journals of like the like journals of explorers talking about cannibalism in the sort of exploration age, sometimes human flesh gets referred to as long pig quote unquote, because apparently human flesh is very similar in texture and even flavor to pork.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, there's okay, and this is like deeply not scientific. It's just like existing in the world. But like, I mean, pigs are used as the closest to humans in like countless ways, right, like in terms of intelligence and like everything about them, or maybe it is intelligence, probably not at human level, but like I know that, Yeah, pigs are weirdly, weirdly similar to humans. So yeah, the choice of them in the Odyssey, like I'd never thought of that sense.
Speaker 2: It jumps out in a certain way, and like maybe that's us putting sort of modern ideas about pigs back on the ancient text. Like I don't have very much to like corroborate this like pig flesh cannibalism thing in the ancient Greek context. Unfortunately, I wish there was more, but I still think it's like a compelling reading. And the thing that I'll add the last thing is that Odysseus refuses to eat until he's seen his men restored. So after he and Seriously have their confrontation, you know, they go to bed and like seal their pact with the you know, embrace of love TM or whatever. There's some euphemism that's not what it is, but I'm just making it up. In any case, they have sex, and then you know, Susy lays out a bath for him and some of the sort of nymphs that live on the island. He gets brought a meal, and it's not specific what he's been brought. Some people just translated as food, some people translated as meat. It's an unspecific food word I think often taken to mean meat, but like hard to say. But he very specifically turns down the meal and says to sirusly, before I accept any more of your hospitality, I need to see that my men are okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is such a red flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think it's kind of funny because it's like, I mean, dude, if that was one of your men, like it's too late anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, too late anyway. But there's like the there's like the anxiety about eating another person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if they really did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the history of Greek mythology, like it's not the first, you know.
Speaker 2: For sure, And there's such an interesting thing with how cannibalism is such a like strong taboo going all the way back in time, all the way back to the Odyssey, and in fact the sort of cultural discourse around cannibals as the quintessential savage can be traced back to the in the Western world, can be traced back to the Odyssey in certain ways that when you meet a truly savage foreigner once you've sailed across the sea. And I'm like using savage with big air quotes here, of course, because like, obviously these are perfectly normal indigenous people, some of who may have practiced some form of anthroprophigy, which is to say, the eating of humans, and some of whom probably didn't and just got this slapped on them, but because it was like the ultimate form of uncivilization and therefore being ripe for like the civilizing force of colonialism. Yeah, it's so embedded and it really comes back like you see it. You can see it in the Odyssey in a very similar way. It's a bit of an archetypical text for that exact discourse. The Odyssey is a great like text for post colonial studies.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet okay, before I forget to ask this because it's just occurring to me, but also like now I want to learn everything about honesty in that context. But do you know offhand, like I'm trying to think of the sourcing on. You know, before we started recording, I told you about how excited I am to talk to study or read Senecus Thiestes for similar reasons because I think ancient mythological cannibalism is fascinating. But I'm wondering whether that curse on you know, Agamemnon and menialisis family is Homerican origin or whether it comes later. Do you know offhand?
Speaker 2: I I'm not one hundred percent sure. I don't know if it's Homerican origin specifically, I could check, but I don't know offhand. That said, I do think that the sort of of mythos of like like Tantalus Pelops, that whole Atrius, that whole family line is cursed as fuck, and the like the cannibalism recurs because you get you get Tantalus, and then you get a Trayas. And I think that those stories do go back, like we have evidence of them existing in the tradition before, like the sort of references that we get, like I think I think that Cassandra makes a reference to the kind of curse and the house of Atreus in her dialogue in Esclosis Agamemnon.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, yeah, I know it's definitely at the very oldest or at the youngest, it's it's Eschylus. But I was curious whether it does appear in homer because that would kind of make that connection to the Odyssey and that idea of totally cannibalism. But yeah, no, I mean it's very specific. Now I'm just gonna look at myself after because it's fascinating totally.
Speaker 2: Well, and we do have so one of the things I brought up, and so one of the things that is kind of interesting, especially if you do accept the argument that SEUSI is kind of at the very least arguably a cannibalistic figure, is that in the Homeric Hymn to Hermes, we have the injunction against divine like gods eating food of any kind, like regular food, that that's not a divine thing to do. So we don't yeah, yeah, so we don't see ceusly eat because she is divine, and so this is another this is another one of these contradictions where she's kind of both things that she is a goddess and like witches in this period of Greek literature are divine or semi divine figures Circe, Helen Medea. They're descended from God quite closely, if not actually divine themselves, like seriously, kind of seems to be because she's the daughter of a Titan, but she's also vulnerable, like Odysseus nearly kills her, and it's not like she almost gets the better of him, but as soon as he turns, you know, he turns back her trick and resists her her sort of volley of secrecy. She's not able to resist him by physical force and seems to genuinely believe that he could kill her, which so she's not immortal. And she's also given the epithet speaking with human voice several times, so which that comes up in matdal Miller's Seriously, much is made of it. But she's got this kind of semi mortal aspect to her, this mortal vulnerab ability to her, while also being divine. That is very complicated, And it's all these aspects of liminality and being sort of in both categories or between categories mortal and divine that she is, that she has all this power over animals and the sort of defiance of the firm boundary between human and animal, between you know, civilized and wild. That she has this very civilized house that's like out in the middle of the woods. Basically, it's in the middle of nowhere. It's on the very edge of the map. That she is. You know, she's a consummate host and she protects and preserves Odysseus and his men once she's been convinced not to turn them into pigs, but then she sends them to the underworld. So she has this connection to death and this knowledge of the dead also that is very like spooky. Yeah, she just like she exists across categories, and I mentioned this earlier that she's also able to sort of manipulate the expectations of those categories in order to get the better of Odysseus that like, and of his men. That they arrive and they're treated like, you know, with sort of quote unquote civilized hospitality, and then the food that they're offered is what transforms them or gives her the power to transform them. So there's that kind of duality there as well, that she's a host, but her hostship is what allows her to do harm. And then on the other hand, it's at the moment that she's the most threatening, that she becomes kind of this objective desire that at the peak of their confrontation, Odysseus says, she says to Adssey, like, Okay, let's like go to bed together. And you know, so it's it's the moment of terror turns into a moment of desire, and that those things kind of go hand in hand, and that it's her, her her like erotic sway over Odysseus that then causes him to forget about his like beautiful sis, hetero marriage and and all this stuff. That there's just like so much caught up in that, and and that I mean that goes back to a sort of idea in Ahmed that I brought up in the in the thesis that an object of desire doesn't create the desire, but desiring a particular object object can, or a particular body can drag other things with it, other encoded meanings, and that in this case, by desiring such a kind of queer object, Odysseus is dragged off of the normative path. And so regardless of cirruses identity, like we don't have access to her personal identity really, but she is in many ways defiant of norms and associated with things that are kind of scary and out there transformation death, you know. But even without that aspect of identity, she has a queering force on the narrative because of what she's able to do to Odysseus due to her sort of you know, the disorientating effect that she has, because she brings into his world things that he shouldn't be able to sort of be in contact with in this normal way, and brings out of reach things that he should have and desire, you know, like his his return home. Yeah, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: There's so much, and I mean it's just all like I could listen to this stuff forever. Hen It's just like I just I like to say mm hm a lot because it's also interesting. Also I just have to say what the listeners can't see, and also you probably can't either. But behind me there I have this little replica well it's not even replica, but like a little Cantharo's from Athens that has Circe turning men into pigs on it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's a great me.
Speaker 2: That's actually it's probably the same. I actually think I made a reference to maybe even that same cantaros. There's there's a particular one very like.
Speaker 1: Doesn't look ancient at all, but it's cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. But that image because there's a paper that I read for this as part of my research that sort of talks about that and other images of her, which of course that art is much later, like it's quite significantly post Homeric, but there's an interesting emphasis in the imagination of serous and what she does that positions, that depicts the men between states and that that's the horror, right, It's not just ceirs and pigs, and it's not SEUs and men threatening them. It's seriously and this amalgamation that defies anything normal or acceptable, because like, animals are one thing and humans are another thing, and you can't be both. But she creates she's the steward of the transformation, you know, and it's it's this this really like intense thing, and it's it's a very violent thing too. There's a particular there's a particular formula that gets used for her transforming them. It's uh robdo pepliguia striking with her wand and that gets used twice of her and the verb which I think is plago or something like that. I could check. The verb that is used is used about fifty times in the Homeric lexicon, and it's pretty much always violence or force. So it's a very distinctly like she is like hitting these guys, and that's that's also that's another thing that removes her from the kind of host mold, because she's the hosts never offer violence, even if they're kind of trying to detain Odysseus and his ment. They're never violent towards him or his people. But seriously, is she hits them? She strikes them physically, and like, there's a very distinctive thing. The only other time, and in fact, the only there's I like wrote a long footnote about this, and then I had to take it out of the final thesis because one of my advisors on the project was like, this is long enough and sort of important enough that you either need to work it into the text or you need to take it out. I was like, okay, fine, so I took it out, but I it's it's like in my brain, I'm here for totally, and that the only other time somebody like rabdop peplaguia, somebody's striking with her wand is actually Athena in book I think twenty two or something like that, where she so Athena has transformed Odysseus into this guise of an old man to disguise his identity from everybody on Ithaca. And uh she the first time she transforms him, she comes down and she says to him, hey, I'm going to do this, like just so you know, I'm going to transform you. You will look different whatever, and she she like taps him or like she like touches him with the wand but it's a different verb, and it's it's definitely just a like pap it's not a blow. The second time, you may ask thee this swineherd is like coming back suddenly, and Athena doesn't have time or she doesn't take the time to come down and say to a Disseus, hey, just so you know, I'm going to do this now, and that time she strikes him. So I am I have again like a conspiracy theory thought that the thing that divides those two instances is the question of consent. The first time, she's very clear to Odysseus, this is what's going to happen, informed consent to yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like the second time opportunity to say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly the second time. No such thing. It's a forcible transformation without knowledge or consent, and that is what Sears is inflicting because that's the BacT same language. It draws the mind back to oh right, like what sirrs did, where she's forcibly transforming them. So I think there's there's like a real aspect of of hitting to uh to what the what what Cirrus does and which is is quite interesting and that, you know, I mean, also there's all the there's of course also all the like I don't know, Lakhanian or Freudian or both stuff about the fact that she wheels a want which is very phallic.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't know, but okay.
Speaker 2: I also don't know. But I on the like, on the one hand, I'm kind of like, does everything have to be about dick's especially when we're talking about women. On the other hand, there's something very funny about thinking about CEUs and Odysseus's confrontation before they go to bed together as a dick measuring content and a Disseus comes out on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will agree with you that if I if I hear it that way, it's not so bad. But every time I hear Freudian ship like that, I'm just like, oh my god, dude, like we get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like yeah, it's like I've had enough of you, Frida. And also like god, fellow, centrism is out.
Speaker 1: I'm finished with it, and I just say, like, I'm really thrilled. I brought up the silly little cantharos I've had for like five years because that was so interesting to think about it in that context of like like I have this thing sitting behind me. It's literally there all the time I'm in this office all the time recording, and it's never occurred to me how much like to describe it for the listeners, And like, even though this is like a silly little replica about a tour shop, it is like the guy's head is a pig and the body is still very human. But I also think he's got a tail. Yeah, very tale. It's like it's it's very in the vein of min which is quite interesting because like I like to think a lot about how the minatar is like singular in in mythology, in like I think in mythology itself. He's pretty singular in the way that like, not only is there only one of him, you know, on like say the centaurs or satyrs or all these other like half human half animal hybrids, but he also is the only one that's like top half animal, and that makes him behave like an animal in a way that like, yes, you can argue that the centaurs are violent as shit, but they still have like the cognitive ability of humans.
Speaker 3: They just like.
Speaker 1: Choose to wield violence, whereas the minotaur has the cognitive ability of a bull and the body of the human. And that like the connection to yeah, that Circe's transformation with that, I don't know, just interests me, Like, yeah, the sort of ramifications of like that mid transformation or what you said of like the actual force of b being transformed and how that's what the art depicts and stuff.
Speaker 2: Totally, and and I think that like there's also that that aspect of hybridity remains with cearcs pigs that when we get the description of them once they've been put out into the art, that they they're like weeping and crying because they still have their human minds, but they have no ability to express themselves or act on their sorrow. So there's there's still that element of very and again like very troubling in the Greek mindset hybridity, that they really don't go for boundary crossing except in these exceptional cases where it's either a source of heroism or horror and sometimes both. And that that is also a very like that's like a very classic that the sort of two things can go together can can also be a very classic sort of queerotrope of like the com nation of the desired thing and the terrifying thing, and I think seriously exhibits that all its It's really common in the Gothic sort of Gothic tropes of like the queer is a figure of both desire and terror, because then you can have a sort of you can you can look at them and desire and like work through these taboos in a way that is still scary and so therefore it's fine. It's like quite quite common in gothic and horror tropes. It's quite it's quite interesting. So yeah, no, it's it's good stuff. And like, I don't know, Serius is just so rich, like there is so much going on. I didn't even get that much into in the paper. Like I think there's like a sort of whole other thing going on with how with her her sending them to the underworld and them coming back to her, that she's like the last way station between death and the real world and they have to stop at with her both ways. And that also like she is the one who gives Odysseus this advice about how to handle Skilla and Charybdis that like he's just gonna have to run the gap and some of his men are going to die, and that's just the advice that she has is like sorry, you got to kill your men if you ever want to get home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is.
Speaker 2: Itself like kind of a terrible like all of her advice is like time to die, I guess, yeah, But the fact that Odysseus like lives is yeah, almost beside the point.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that's but it's like I like that because you're I mean, you're so right. And then it also all like comes back around to like Odysseus just doesn't really care, you know, like he's just so willing to sacrifice his men like at any possible opportunity, and like he gives us this idea that that he is affected by it, but it doesn't ever, it's like affecting in a very like impersonal way because he's like, I'm affected because I'm a I'm a human. But like he would never let the tragedy of how many of his men die actually affect anything that he does or like any decisions, which is like, to be clear, exactly all of them. Yeah, but like you know, like as it's going, you know, he's like, oh, I lost so many men, but he never wants is like, so maybe I should behave differently going forward to avoid losing more. Like it's just sort of like it happens because they're just there and the only point is to get him home. Like the other people are just kind of like you know it actually, you know what, even just talking about this, The one time that he does make a real effort is with Circe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he that they have a full funeral for the guy who falls off her roof and breaks his neck.
Speaker 1: But even also in Pigs, like yeah, that him getting them turned back, Like I feel like there's very other, very few other times, if any where he actually makes an effort to save anyone going forward, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that he's very like prepared for them to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's it's interesting because like one of those sort of arguments that I've heard and that I kind of agree with about the arc of the Odyssey is that it's a lot about Odysseus sort of clawing his way back to society and like participation in society. That when he first is setting out, he's still very much in like the iliatic mindset that's extremely like some of you may die and you know, which is like great, thanks, like you jerk, and he still wants to like demand hospitality from all of these strangers and ideally received like get gifts from them, and you know, if he has to steal them, okay, But that as he goes along, he's kind of more and more like, oh uh, maybe this is bad and and I think that. But but also that his men keep pissing him off, Like on the island with the cattle of the Sun, he's like you idiots, like you fucked.
Speaker 3: I gave you one job, yeah, one job.
Speaker 2: And same with the bag of winds. So there's there's definitely like this tension I think where Odysseus kind of needs to get rid of all of his men, or he seems to like not care in order to accomplish his I'm coming but and as you said, and doesn't seem to care. But at the same time, it's like as he loses them, he seems to kind of come more and more to thinking about like, oh, maybe maybe I should be like a little more careful that like these guys are in fact helping me, and that like and I mean it's also to come back to, like circle back to something I said earlier, that he's the one telling the story about how this all went down, so he's free to frame what happened in a way that puts him in the most heroic light, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and like it's Odysseus, so he's going to and he's going to do it well of course, where it's like that's his entire personality in both epics. It's that he is a man who can talk himself out of anything. And so it's it's especially interesting to think about it. Yeah, what how much he could be lying about with that in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, And it's yeah, it's just it's great stuff. And and yeah that he that he then sort of tries all this out on al Kinois and the other faces, and yeah, and that and that it does work too, that al Kinowis is like, great, what a great story here, have like all this treasure and a boat and you can you can sail home, you know. So there's yeah, there's just like layers and layers with Odysseus and the Journey books are so interesting because of that like narrative thing, and and they are also very interesting to think about through that sort of queer theoretical lens, and I thinking about like whose story are we hearing and how coherent is it? Because with Odysseus as like the focal like he's giving as the focal point. It's yeah, it's just very possible to like connect what he's going through with what is actually directly being said to us in the narrative, and how we can interpret those things, which is kind of fun. And I mean, obviously it's all like you could decide any scholar, any reader is going to decide how seriously they take like, oh, is this happening because Odysseus is Odysseus in the story is doing something on purpose or is it just sort of convention? Is it just what had to happen. Like characterization in the Greek literary sphere not so consistent usually, so you can like kind of take it with a grain of salt, but it's it's still I don't know. I like to do the like deep dive and really take it seriously because I think it's more fun that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree entirely. I Okay, there's one thing that you mentioned a couple of times, but like I would love to know more of your thoughts on it because it really stood out to me and it's never really occurred to me. But like the Circe and Xenia aspect, it never really occurred to me. And like Sennia is something I feel like I haven't mentioned it in a while on the show, but it's something that I've tried to like emphasize, you know, in the past, like this guest host relationship, that's.
Speaker 2: A big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a really big deal. And and like you know, I mean, I think just that we brought up, you know, Tantalus and Atreus, like they are so well I guess maybe not Atrius quite as much, but like Tantalus is such a good example of the problem with breaking Senia, where you know, you like you're not supposed to feed your child to your guests, Like that's a big no no. And of course, like the idea is not just the feeding your children. It is like breaking anything when it comes to this like sacred guest host relationship. And it had never really occurred to me how much Circe does not give a flying fuck. It seems like about Senna, but at the same time, like like she she purports to care. You know, the whole reason why she can change the men into pigs is because she feeds them or gives them something to drink. Yeah, and that's really interesting because that is inherently Senia, which is why they trust her. And then she's like, wait, no, I don't care, Like it's that that's really interesting, and I would. I mean, I don't even know if I'm asking a question, but like I want to hear more about that.
Speaker 2: If there's no there totally is. So I'll say a couple of things. Xennia as a concept has been like a lot of ink has been spelled. The idea of Senia in Homeric literature reflecting something historical that was going on, is very distinctly an idea that was championed by Moses Finley, who in like the seventies, sixties and seventies, who's a very influential scholar. And I think that's like a divisive opinion these days because we don't have a ton of other like evidence from the Homeric period to know whether the Homeric literature is reflecting a real social custom or if in some ways it's a function of the the formulaic nature of the story, because there is a very distinct there is a distinctive senia pattern, like that this is how hospitality scenes type scenes go down. There is there's quite an interesting book by a guy named Reese who breaks it down into like elements and compares different versions. And one of them that he talks about is Serruc and it's very clear that she follows a lot of the aspects, but also you can see where the certain divergences are give color to the scene. So like one of the earliest aspects of a xenia scene in the Odyssey is the dog at the door motif that happens at the beginning of a number of these scenes, and like one of them is the golden dog statues that are in Uh but that the theationans have set up that are at the door of Alkinous's court, and they give this like sense of majesty and wealth and power. And one of them is Argos, you know, the loyal guard dog who sees Odysseus and then immediately dies. That's sort of idea of like the passing of the watch maybe like that kind of thing, or like that the weight is over. There's that kind of intense thematic thing. And then seriously that the dog at the door is these enchanted beasts and there's this like spooky like wild thing that is going on that's reflected in this particular version of this element of a type scene. And that she then also you know, she feeds her guests, she provides a seat, she provides a meal, she provides a bath in a bed, She does all of these things. There are a couple other divergences, like Odysseus is brought into the house to her bed rather than being given a bed sort of in the ante room, which is the typical version. I believe, she bathes him herself, which is also a bit of a divergence. So there's these kind of particular like where Odysseus is being drawn into her household, into her like web of I'm making a hand gesture that it is not kind of translate, but she like she's she's reeling him in using these tools of hospitality in this very real way. So it's like it's she knows it, she knows social behavior, and he's not shy about using it to get what she wants and like very actively perverting what hospitality should be. That you know, okay, Like another aspect is the giving of Pompeii conveyance onto the next place, and the conveyance that she provides is go to this like go to the underworld. Like that's the gift that she gives them is death in a very real way, which is also a derec It's this kind of subversive thing.
Speaker 3: That she does.
Speaker 2: And it's not the only time that we see the kind of tools of hospitality used to make something work. And this is like a thing that so Helen does something that is comparable. I think when she uses her pharmica, her magical drugs in the wine when Telemachus is at Sparta to make the men stop crying about all of their grief from the war and go to sleep, and she like manipulates their emotions using this sort of tool of hospitality. But it's essentially an intensification of what wine already does, and she's not changing them, whereas ceuses Pharmica physically alters the men who consume her food and drink her wine. Also that somebody, I can't remember what who pointed to this out something that I read points out that she what she feeds them is food that is typically given as like grave offerings, like particular types of grain, is what she like gives to the to the pigs.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: So there's this this thing where like everything that she does is like technically correct according to Sennia, but for like from bad intentions or done wrong in this just slightly off way that is so enticing.
Speaker 1: And there's no you know, there's she doesn't get any kind of of punishment for it in a way that like anyone else who breaks Sennia Wood mythologically like no, no, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like fine. And then at the end she turns around and she does send it Assius off like for better or for worse. Yeah, she tells him, okay, you have to go, and like here's you know, these are the hazards that are ahead of you, but she gives him this incredibly useful advice, like yeah, okay, that a bunch of his men die when they go past Scilla. But if not for her advice, either they wouldn't have even known about it and would have died anyways, or they might have sailed into the whirlpool. And then also the whole thing with the sirens. She tells him how not to get caught by the sirens. So she gives him some of the most useful advice that anybody gives him, and she does send him off when he expresses her hey, I want to go, like he's been under her spell for a year, but she doesn't stop him once he gets his mind back enough to say I'm ready to leave, which is again like it's another reversal. She doesn't stay in any role is the way that you know, would people would maybe want. And I think that's one of the reasons that scholarship is kind of divided on her or why she, because she gets brought up in any argument, structural analysis, anything about like the structure of the odyssey, how these episodes work. She always is a center point to some extent, which makes sense she kind of comes in the middle of it all, but she also, like her behavior can be framed in such a way as to support basically any argument because she's doing it all, which I think, in and of itself, is like, okay, so maybe instead of fitting her into this category or that category, we should be talking more about how uncategorizable she really is as a figure, because she is so out there and it's really awesome stuff. Like I love she's so great.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always loved her because she is fascinating. I mean, I also just think like she's one of very few women characters in Greek myth that are seemingly totally empowered, Like she is agency in a way that is incredibly rare, and so it's just so easy to fucking love her. But I also like, so I've always been really interested in her as like a contrast to Calypso too, which everything you're saying is just like emphasizing that so completely, because like, like I think it's so fascinating, cause like Calypso, I mean, we don't get a lot about her, but she presents this idea like she's a hot nymph who presumably like based on Odysseus's character. He was probably really into it at the beginning, and then she locks him down and like doesn't let him leave, and it's like it's like a full nine years or something that he's with her, right, Like.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's it's it's like a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absurd, And like, you know, so she she has like all of everything about her suggest that she should be the one that he enjoys kind of spending time with, I guess, like comparatively to to Circe, who's like, you know, she's changing his men into pigs, she's threatening him, like all these different things that seem to make her a figure who should be like more dangerous or more like like he should be more wary of her, I guess. But then yeah, like you're saying, she lets him leave, she just lets him go because she you know, I don't know, she just serves this totally different role to Calypso, but at the same time, like seems to be the one who would be more likely to do what Calypso did, you know, right, yeah, vices Calypso would be chill. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, and it's it's also like we there's there's this complicated thing where like we don't know, like I slotted Calypso in when in this sort of argument that I was making kind of more with the host types to be like yeah, like she detains Odysseus with excessive hospitality, like she just keeps she keeps keeping him and you know, keeps him in her house and so on. But we don't see his arrival on Ogigia, her island, so we don't know what kind of reception she gave him and he returned. Like we we really have no idea. All we know is we we don't see Odysseus and Calypso until after he's miserable become miserable. So there's it's like so hard to gauge because yeah, like it's so interesting because it seems like the two of them are almost mirrors of each other. That with Susie he starts aggressive, hostile and becomes comfortable and feels safe, and with Calypso, probably the other way around. But we don't know. I mean, maybe she he washed up on her beach and she was like great mind now and he was never into it. Like it's very hard to gauge and that like I mean, I have like a whole Actually, Odysseus is a pretty good husband thesis living in my head rent free from when I was in undergrad about how he's like shockingly faithful to his wife and you know, treats her like a human being, and you know that the two of them, like he sleeps of other women, but not willing. We never see him willingly climb into bed with like Susi is kind of the exception of that, but even that is transactional. It's like they're making a piece agreement. They're going to go to bed together to seal that agreement. But we don't know what the situation is with clips. So he's clearly miserable while he's there, and Susie has a spell on him by the end, like he has been twisted out of his mind by being on her island by the end. So there's this like complicated thing there that you know he comes across as an ADULTERO.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is he see thank you?
Speaker 1: I support. This is what all of the facial expressions I was doing earlier was it was like I feel like I have gotten a lot of shit for loving Odysseus because he is my fai.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't get me wrong, I still think he's a snake.
Speaker 1: But oh for sure, he's a shit, but like I think he's a lovable piece of shit. And I do think I have always also appreciated the Penelope relationship. Like I think that in terms of what we have visibly seen in relationships in mythology, they are arguably healthier than I mean, I won't say everyone, but like there's not a lot of healthy relationships and myth for us to basically getting off of.
Speaker 2: I mean, say what you want. The man loves his wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very hard.
Speaker 2: That's like the one thing about Odysseus's character that's very hard to argue with. He very clearly loves his wife and wants to be with her. That is the whole thing. That's the whole thing all the way along is he wants to be with her.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I think a lot of people make a lot of arguments about that when it comes to like being faithful, because I don't know if there's evidence or it's just presumably like you know, during the ten years of the Iliad, because they have a lot of enslaved women, like probably he was doing things there and like and then you have jersey and clips or whatever. But like, I mean, I also think a lot of even just like our our thought processes on that kind of thing are entirely Christianized at this point, where it's like, you know, like, oh, yeah, we don't know that that was necessary, like that we don't know that Penelope was home being like Odysseus is one hundred percent faithful to me, and that's why he's a good husband. Like, we don't know that that was the mentality or whether the mentality was at one hundred way for a time year war, he's he's doing shit, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean that's like I don't think that any woman really expected that her husband was going to be one hundred percent faithful to her. It was a huge double standard in Greek society. But like all of these guys were having sex with women that weren't their wives and also men like that's just that, yeah, yeah, for sure. And so to say that he's a bad husband because he has sex with other women is like a little bit of a it's a very modern perspective on the issue. I will say this I saw. This is like a complete sidetrack, but I saw a screenshot of like an old Tumblr post that was like, the first one reads straight character of the day nobody, and the second one reads, hey, I disagree, Odysseus is plainly bisexual, and I was like, I think Odysseus is like the least bisexual Greek. Here, the ven diagram of Greek heroes who both don't have a weird situationship with another man and also actively demonstrate interest in women is very small in the middle. He is the straightest Greek hero.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm just like literally, my brain's just flying through different people. And also yes, on.
Speaker 2: Right, Like basically all of them either have no demonstrated interest in women, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but like because you know, loving being into women is cringe in misocupist Greek society.
Speaker 1: Me reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or have some kind of weird situationship going on with another guy. Uh, like Achilles and Patrick Liss being the obvious ones, but like Arrestes has some shit going on, Telemachus has some shit going on, Aga like Greater Ajax and Tucer. Clearly there's some like stuff there, like a lot of them have like a male.
Speaker 1: Buddy beyond Homeric too, it still lies, like yeah, totally, and even theseus has pitheus like, yeah.
Speaker 2: The is yeah, I guess, I guess Jason also is fairly straight.
Speaker 3: But yeah that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Straits can have Jason for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one just is like yeah, yeah, but it's because like to me, my immediate thought on that being Jason is like, it's because Jason is the most boring, useless person in the world, so like, of course he's a straight man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he's like a shitty straight man. Odysseus is at least an interesting straight man. Yeah, exactly, Like there are straight men who are just seemed to be straight by default, and then there are straight men who are straight because they love women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is interesting. He's got nu once and and yeah to his straightness, whereas Jason is like straight in the most I am boring and I have nothing going on at all in my head type.
Speaker 5: Of yeah, which is why, to circle back to the original point, it is so interesting that Odysseus gets dragged away from that.
Speaker 2: Desire for his wife and towards like wanting ceriously and wanting to be part of cirses like weird like genderfucked, like human animal fucked society on her island that he ends up kind of integrating there in a way that he doesn't anywhere else. He never forgets about Penelope except for while he's there, and he yeah, he just like ends up soaked into cirss like big queer bubble where everything is topsy turvy. She's and you know, she's like she's a female, Like she's a woman, and she's this female head of household. Also weird. For the record, women don't usually women single women do not act as primary hosts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's no men for her island, no.
Speaker 2: As far as I know, And I mean her nymphs are like there's some nymphs around, but they're very anonymous. And so even that she's like very outside of society of any kind, uh physically as well as like conventionally removed from normative society. And yeah, like she just creates this kind of queer society on her island that the people who arrive there can't help but become involved in it. And it happens to Odysseus and his men immediately as soon as they kill that stag like they're kind of in and she lets them go. But only like yeah, like only once Odysseus realizes what's happened, you know, he he gets dragged out of his regular again orientation to use on its word and onto this other line or into contact with these things that regular patterns of belief, these these sedimented ways of being would have you never come into real contact with, always be sort of existing only in the imaginary. But on Circe's island, anything's possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh maybe that's your God, damn it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm making your life really hard.
Speaker 1: There's too many good options. I'm writing that one down. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love her. She's so great.
Speaker 1: She really is, Like she's just fascinating. I actually just spoke with an author who who's written a novel and it's about Circe after Odysseus and like very fictionalized past that point, but introducing like a humanized version of Scilla and Glaucus and like some things within that kind of like realm. And it was just interesting, you know. I was speaking to her about Circe and she comes from she's like Greek, but moved to the States when she was really young, and just like the really an interesting kind of like mindset as well. Of course I'm going to forget her last name, but it was Sophia and it will come out soon and the book is called an Unexpected Ally for my listeners. But yeah, it was interesting having that was just like last week, and so I'm like, Okay, I'm thinking about Sarcy in all these different kind of ways, having you on and then having spoken to her, and it's just like, yeah, I don't know I could talk with Rcie honestly for like ever, because she's just she is so interesting and she's so unique in the mythology in so many totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think in a certain way, like it's almost demonstrated how interesting and scary she is in the Homeric version that her later versions are so flattened and so defanged. I heard a really great paper about this at a conference, talking about how you can really see the like development of the way that male later male authors are processing their discomfort with her by making her not threatening or turning her into you know, a caricature of the seductress or whatever, because they don't know how to deal with her her Homeric incarnation is too complicated and we never see her like this again really because there's just so much And yeah, I mean if that's not queer, I don't know what I say that can deal with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh well, this is absolutely fucking fascinating and I love it so much. Thank you so much for doing this. This has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for yeah, thank you for having me on. I mean, I'm happy to talk about Susie at great length. And also like queer approaches to homer because I mean, it's just like I mentioned this earlier, so much Homeric scholarship is is very structuralist in certain ways, like thinking about like things men do versus things women do and comparing the two and this and that and and that makes it so fruitful for queer analysis because like yeah, like like that's that's where queer theory is the strongest, is where a dichotomy has been constructed, because queer theory is all about pointing out how unnatural those things are. And like that's seriously is in that way very quintessentially queer because she she points she by paying attention to her role in the text, it really points out how unnatural or how sort of constructed through repetition. The patterns that we detect in the text are because she violates them, and so they just jump out all the more when we're looking at her, which is is so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean every time I hear anyone who's got something to do with queer theory in the age world, I'm like, okay, please, yeah, come tell me about it, because like, yeah, just yeah, it's different, Like I want to hear I want to hear these like these ways of looking at this stuff that is just vastly different than what we've been used to or what has been you know, constructed, like you're saying, you know, through these things where it's just like you're just putting this onto the text, it's not not there, just like dichotomy, Like we can just break it all apart and look at what's actually going on and all the weirdness around her.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and like even where the dichotomies are present in the text, like what does that tell us about how this culture that we study is constructing things and how are we reading them? You know, Like I think it's a very fruitful. I mean, obviously I'm biased because this is what I'm like hanging my scholarly hat on, but I genuinely do think there's a lot of work to be done and that like queer theory has a lot to offer to classics, but also that classics has a lot to offer back to queer theory in terms of thinking about how we study cultures and constructed constructions within cultures, and how we process other cultures because they've been gone for so long that like all we have in a way is our own perspective, and that that can be really really fruitful as well, which I mean is why I make a reception podcast, but.
Speaker 1: Which leads me to what I was just going to say next, is do you want to tell the listeners about your podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For sure, Well it was at.
Speaker 1: This point, but let's remind everybody but classically trained.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, not that I have put out an episode in a while, because I was in fact in Europe all summer. But for you, yeah, first I was yeah, first, I was dying writing the thesis that I just spent an hour and a half telling you about, and then I was in Europe, so that we haven't had an episode in a while, but we do have some coming out. Myself and Alison Marlin are the co hosts of a podcast called Classically Trained, where we talk about modern media that depicts the Mediterranean, world history, myth and we talk about books, movies, games hopefully eventually, and music, comics, all kinds of stuff. We range pretty widely. Our next couple of episodes, the ones that are recorded but not yet released, are The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, which is like a great it's a great book I recommend, and also I think we did our I think our Prince of Egypt episode is also coming up soon because I know we recorded it, but I don't think it's out yet. It's not out yet, so I'm like forgetting. It's been a long time since we recorded, so I'm forgetting what we recorded. Yeah, but we have a lot of fun. So if you're interested in listening to me, a homer scholar, and my partner, a late antique archaeologist, talk about various media and the way that it deals with these stories that live so kindly shares with you, then yeah, come check us out. Classically Trained. We are everywhere podcasts are found.
Speaker 1: You guys do a lot that I explicitly don't, which I so I think it's such a great like accompanying podcast too, because like people often want me to talk about media and stuff, and like unless I have a guest, because that's the thing about doing two person podcasts, like you can talk about that kind of stuff, but like, yeah, it's just me, and like can't. That'd be weird because it's just like me listing things if it's not a discussion. So I'm like other podcast for that, go find them. So, yes, classically Trained is a perfect option.
Speaker 2: Yes, we do. We do do media. We've done a few of the like big hits of classical media, like we did Troy two thousand and four, but we haven't done three hundred.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I have you don't know, I mean have fun. But yeah, but you've done Percy Jackson, right, because my listeners are always asking about Percy Jackson.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did. In fact, we did a full like five parter. We did each book of the first series individually, and for anybody who I will, I will say we are not afraid to be critical, but we do both love person Jackson. So you know, even though I like to believe that we're critical readers and watchers and listeners of all of the things even the ones we really like. Those episodes were really a joy to do, so hopefully they are also enjoyable to listen to.
Speaker 1: I bet, I'm sure. I yeah, I was like just slightly, I was slightly before the Percy Jackson generation and it perpetually frustrates my listeners. And I don't blame them, but I was like eighteen when the first one came out, so just like, yeah, it didn't happen for me, but.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't read them until I was a bit older, but yeah, I was still they were in the air when I was growing up. So yeah, and like the I mean, I'm really looking forward to the live action series dropping so that we can talk about that and think about particularly so that we can kind of have a conversation about like racial race, blind casting and race and antiquity and stuff like that in light of that, because also there's some like one of the conversations that we had about Percy Jackson was like, we're required and please stop saying Western civilization challenge.
Speaker 1: Oh oh interesting.
Speaker 2: It's definitely it's like very mid two thousands, like Layman's parlance, and it really makes sense. But it's also like, oh, this is a problem. We need to talk about it. So I look forward to revisiting that when the show comes out, and also just in general getting to put out some new episodes and hopefully you don't get some stuff going. But yeah, so the podcast is on Twitter. I am on Twitter at Julia m Paroni Underscore M Underscore Parni, and I'm also on Blue Sky Now.
Speaker 1: Me too, I guess say that on the podcast I haven't once.
Speaker 2: Oh well, there you go, me and live on Blue Guy.
Speaker 1: What's your handle on Blue Guy's all right? Interrupted by real life.
Speaker 2: I'm at Julia m Peroni without the underscores on Blue Skuy. So yeah, I can be found pretty easily there, and I'm attempting to migrate because yeah, me too, not least because every time I see the phrase X formerly known as Twitter, I take two D eight of psychic damage.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like at this point, it's just like you've just made it the most annoying app like because it's just like a constant reminder of how stupid that man is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, an killer.
Speaker 1: Billionaires are inherently immoral and they should not exist.
Speaker 2: You are so right preach right.
Speaker 1: In any case, thank you again so much for doing this, Yes so much, thank.
Speaker 2: You for having me live. This was so fun. I'm you know, always enjoyed to talk with you about this stuff and also about everything.
Speaker 1: I mean a great I was just glad I saw the tweet and was like, Hi, you're coming on my show. We're going to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean happy too, Ugh Nerds.
Speaker 1: As always, thank you so much for listening, for joining along on these fun, weird little journeys into the depths of the ancient sources. Like I am just, I am perpetually thrilled by the type of niche topics that I get presented for the show, for guests on the show, like it is just It is always so interesting and specific and opens up all of these new and fascinating avenues to think about these characters or the text or god everything. So oh my god, it's just what a joy. As I said, though it is a bit of a uh was recorded a while back. You can also tell by the reference to the Percy Jackson Show Still to come. Obviously it exists. Now I won't pretend that I know exactly how much of it exists, but it does, and I know that Classically Trained is back with at least one episode since we recorded this. You can go listen to that, and I mean, just god, it just bask in the queer theory reading of Circe and how she just doesn't fit into anything, and oh my gods, doesn't that just make her so much more interesting than she already was. I could listen to this stuff forever. Thank you all so much for listening. As always, let's talk about mis Baby is written and produced by me Live Albert. MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians. My assistant producer, Laura Smith is the production assistant and audio engineer. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. Find me on Patreon. That's what I say at the end here Right on Patreon, you can get access to bonus episodes and more and just support the show because I give you two free episodes a week. So let's be honest. My Patreon does not have much bonus content because the free stuff is enough. So if you want to help me with the free stuff, show your love and support, consider that for that, consider that to be what Patreon is. This is me explaining how incapable I've been of providing bonus content, but honestly, I've also had that Patreon for seven years, so like there's a lot of stuff that's on there, So take a listen. Patreon dot com slash myths. Baby, I will stop trying to remember my script without it in front of me. I am live, and oh my god, I love this shit. I also just recorded an episode that to be coming out next month about Homeric shit, and now I just want to live in the Homeric world, like forever and always and