Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the TSA pre Check in your Airport Puzzle Routine. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and joining me today is our very own chief puzzle Officer, Greg Pliska. Greg, what do you have for me today? And are puzzlers at home?
Speaker 2: Well, a, Jay, you know you and I both love cryptic crosswords, and every now and then we like to bring out some of the techniques that are used in those puzzles.
Speaker 1: I love and I hate them, So let's not yeah, just want to fair, just want to clarify.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love them, you hate them? No, but we like to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes love I sometimes say so yes.
Speaker 2: So you've got to You've got a great chapter about cryptics in the in the book The Puzzler.
Speaker 1: Thank you with an original cryptic by you.
Speaker 2: In The Puzzler we go actually actually the cryptic by Sarah Goodchild. We brought Sarah into help with the crypto point. So we're not going to get into cryptic clues today, but this is one of the techniques that are used in cryptic clues. It's called a charade, where you split a word into two or more parts. So in this puzzle, I'll give you a clue to the original word and to the split up components. So, for example, I might say, hey, that hair on your upper lip has to really feel sore. That's my way of cluing three words.
Speaker 1: First the well age mustache, mustache.
Speaker 2: Mustache, and then the two parts of that, which are.
Speaker 1: Ache and what was the other part of the clue. I'm guessing it was mouse.
Speaker 2: Us to really feel sore, must.
Speaker 1: Ache mustache, must ache. Just there.
Speaker 2: You just take the big word and you cut it into two parts, and you get the next you know, the next two answers must ache, you mustache, must.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this was the original meaning of the word charade. This was a word game that they played in the seventeen hundreds that eventually became the parlor game that you do with your hands in your face. So they are related.
Speaker 2: And you know, you and I have been around since the seventeen hundreds, so we know it likely all right, So you get how this works. I'll give you a clue to both the big word and the component parts, and you try to come up with those answers. Excellent, here's your first one. I'm going to smear this petroleum jelly on those flower holders that you've put in a row.
Speaker 1: Okay, so petroleum jelly when I think of that there is the most famous one is vasolene, right, that's yeah. And then if you break that down, you've got vase and line is a row. So I'm saying that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to put vasoline on the vaseline exactly excellent. So the or the vase line, as you might say, that's.
Speaker 1: The British probably say fancy. And by the way, these British cryptics are super tricky and I mean they are delightful sometimes, but they drive me crazy. So that's where the love hate comes in.
Speaker 2: You got to really be willing to commit to some hours of cruel, cruel pleasure.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, here's here's your next clue. See those guys filming the movie over there. They arrived with Japanese noodle soup.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Okay, Well Japanese noodle soup. I thought was uhudan but maybe no, that's the uh is a noodle, right, that's the noodle Japanese wait I should know, and wanton is the Chinese soup. Well, this isn't you know what? I don't like soup? I don't. I like I like my food solid.
Speaker 2: So I forget about the super a minute. Think about the guys filming the movie. What do you see a group of people filming a movie. I think of that as a crew, yes, but the specific people that are operating the filming device.
Speaker 1: Oh, the cameraman, the direct cameraman, cameraman.
Speaker 2: Okay, and they arrived with Japan.
Speaker 1: Oh I see with rah Man? Okay, I do all right, now I feel like an idiot.
Speaker 2: All right, So cameraman splits, it splits into Cayman Ramen, which is tricky again like some of the other puzzles we've done, where phonetically it changes completely. There you go, similar to mustache and must ache.
Speaker 1: All right, give me a non soup one.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not a non d rebit. All day of non soup puzzles for you next time. The first female prime Minister of England is next to one particular singer of I Got You Babe.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one I do know, because I do remember. The first female prime minister was the was he the Iron Ladies? Is that what they call her? Margaret Thatcher? So Thatcher? If you break it up, you've got that share that's right. The one and only one and only.
Speaker 2: That share love it thatcher and that share. If you've ever seen them photographed together, they might be the same person. We don't know.
Speaker 1: Possible, very possible theory.
Speaker 2: All right, I got another one for you. You turned red. That means you have to go out back to the little storage building where we put people with a contagious illness.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, okay, well that's interesting because I immediately thought, when you turn red, you blush. You blushed, And I know that the shed part is the is the back of the building, storage building, But wait, where is the blue bill? I think it's like blu ray. So give me the clue again.
Speaker 2: You turned red is the key. You're on the right track. It's a slightly different word. That means, also turning red, you have to go out back to the little storage building where we put people with a contagious illness.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got yes. So it's not blushed, it is flushed. You flushed in the flu and the shed flush flu shed.
Speaker 2: You know, and since since COVID, we all have a flu shed in our backyard. Now I'll send people, all right, one more to finish us off, and now watch as a pink waiting bird leaps through a circle of fire.
Speaker 1: Uh huh okay, pink waiting and waiting I think is w a d.
Speaker 2: I yes, yes, good clarification' not.
Speaker 1: A bird that waits, so pink bird. The only bird that I know that's pink is a flamingo. Uh and then uh, the fire is flaming and the O is the oh so flame flamingo flaming, flaming.
Speaker 2: Oh, it leaps through the circle of fire. Very good. Once again, you got them all correct, AJ?
Speaker 1: Well sort of? Yeah, maybe for a third NA, you got them all all. You're nice, Thank you well, thank you Greg. They were fantastic, more fun than doing the actual cryptic in my opinion.
Speaker 2: And you know, AJ, before we sign off, how about I give them a little extra credit buzzle.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea that Okay, I've got one today. Okay, I love it. What do you got.
Speaker 2: Here's the clue. Even though he was convicted of killing someone, we still heard that guy's expression of merriment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it, and I like the fact that I don't know it, which is good because then I won't look like a fool.
Speaker 2: I'll be back next episode to give the answer to you and all of our listeners, So stay.
Speaker 1: Tuned one more time just before we go.
Speaker 2: Sure, even though he was convicted of killing someone, we still heard that guy's expression of merriment.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, thank you again and I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello puzzlers. Greg Pliska here with the answer from last show's extra credit puzzle. On that show, we did a bunch of riddles with Jessica Shaw, and the last extra credit one was this, tear off one and scratch my head. What once was red is black instead. That's an old riddle for a match. You tear one off, scratch it and what was red The matchhead turns black after it burns out. Good luck with your puzzling, See you next time. Thanks for playing along with the team here at the Puzzler. I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhouse of News and Lindsey Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Abergan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with AJ Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by Tape Ears Cathodes. No rearrange that iHeart podcasts. This has nothing to do with electrifying jungle beasts. If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com. See you there,