Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success.
Speaker 2: For you and maybe decide to.
Speaker 1: Your HM, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Master Class. So it's raining today, and so I didn't have an umbrella. Of course, you know I got wet. And then the first thing people say when I walk in wet, they go, where's your umbrella? Well, you know, if I had an umbrella, I would be using it. So if you ever see anybody walking around they totally wet, please don't ask them where they unbrother at, because they had damn brother they would use it. But Welcome to the Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I am your host, Rashaw McDonald. We do this every week. The interviews and information this show provides off for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and really start living your own. My guess She's on the line. Has authored a book entitled The Courage to Continue Navigating Your Corporate Journey. She's a retired Chief Information officer for FedEx custom Critical. Please welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass, Cheryl Bevel Orange.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Cheryl, Hi, Rashan, thank you so much for having me today. I'm excited to be here and to have this conversation.
Speaker 1: You got that little Southern twain working there, Cheryl? Were you born and raised? Come on now where.
Speaker 2: I'm originally from Bessemer, Alabama. Most people don't know where that is, but it's right outside from me here.
Speaker 1: Well, I know what best is all that good barbecue country down there. Plus we always drive through, you know. Well, as I twenty area up there, I always go down it, and I had twenty up there. I was up there because good friend of mine, Ricky Smiley, I always go down to Birmingham to visit them, and he lives in Birmingham, Alabama. Let's talk about you, Cheryl your book, The Courage to Continue Navigating your Corporate Journey. Why did you write the book?
Speaker 2: Well, I am a first generation corporate American. My dad was a coal miner, my mother was a teacher. They're both retired, and I went into corporate America blind and so I started jotting down things that I began to build my family with my husband, and I was like, my children is going to need to know how to navigate in this space because most people are going into corporate America or into the workforce at that time they were Now we're all entrepreneurs, but I wanted them to have a blueprint. But as I began to mentor and coach others, I was like, everybody needs this information, not just my children. So I started to officially write my book and it has it has just grown from there. Over the pandemic, I added a new layer to it to speak to the leaders who are managing or supervising or leading first generation corporate Americans, and that has just it took the book to another level. So, you know, I started out for personal reasons and then it just went from there. Figured everybody could use some good information.
Speaker 1: Was some great information I have the copy of the book you autographed it. Thank you very much, sure for autographing the book the courage to continue to navigating your corporate journey. Sure you are there, you're retired, I should say Chief Information Officer of FedEx Critical Custom Critical. First of all, what is FedEx Custom Critical And then I'm gonna ask you about the job title.
Speaker 2: So, FedEx Custom Critical is a subsidiary of FedEx Logistics Company. But it is the company that when we needed Codd vaccine, it had to go from one place to the next in a refrigerated container, and so FedEx Custom Critical trumps the vaccine from one place to the next until it got on the refrigerated plane to go somewhere else. So it is a specialized When we talk about the pandas going from one side of the country to another side of the country to exhibit those types of things are the things that FedEx Custom Critical moves on behalf ofs companies.
Speaker 1: Well, I can understand that that's kind of like you said, it's a specialized division that takes on critical areas that just couldn't be handled our everyday.
Speaker 2: Employees, correct, correct and logistical, you know, unit a refrigerated container, a refrigerated truck, a refrigerated you know, it's something, it's specialty, specialty item. We know.
Speaker 1: And so then I lead to the next Chief Information Officer. That's your job title that you had before you retired at FedEx. How long did you he hold that position?
Speaker 2: I was in that position not a long time at FedEx. I had been at Sedex twenty six years and I'd held a lot of different positions Managing director and CIO was where I ended with my FedEx career. I was there for about a year in that space, but I had been in it and business going back and forth throughout my entire career, and so it was just a culmination of everything that I have learned and experienced I could bring to that space and it was a really fulfilling position.
Speaker 1: Well, you know when I bring individuals because you know, we hear CEO, we here a CFO, we hear COO. But you know, c iOS that's a title you rally here in the corporate space. Is that one that's unique to FedEx or is something that's in all Fortune five hundred companies. It's just not heavily promoted.
Speaker 2: It's an all Fortune five hundred company. As you said, it's not heavily promoted, and having an African American in that space is even less. But it's the chief information officer and it is in the IT space handling all of the information and the data and the infrastructure and all of that that makes companies work.
Speaker 1: Now, the reason I'm just getting all the backstory because you know, you achieve something that's like you said, an African American in that space, that position, that's a rarity. You know, let's say there are only two CEOs or black that are running corporate fortune five hundred companies in America right now. So just to just to hold these positions around. Now, you come from right outside of Birmingham, you know Birmingham. How many people in that city that you came from.
Speaker 2: Well, I would I would say I actually checked some months ago. It's about fifty five thousand people in Basketball, Alabama.
Speaker 1: But I'm talking about back when you were there. You know, when you when you decided to venture out. You know, it's grown, it's grown, it's become a suburb. You know, people people have found best ever now, but back when you were you know, nineteen ninety ish, what was it? What was the population.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, I would say. Back then it was I can't even amassin, what is that tall? Tall? It's fall small.
Speaker 1: I understand that because I always say that because a lot of people, you know, it's not it's not where you start all the time, because a lot of people hold themselves back at that starting position.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You know, I grew up in the in the in the hood, you know, a two bedroom shotgun house. I tell that story all the time to remind people don't let your starting positions stop your your winning opportunity. Now I was driving you to get out of Bessemer to seek higher education and also the end of the corporate world.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just tell you it's an interesting story. When I was a little girl, I used to spend a lot of time with my grandparents. And one day I was out of school and I went with my grandparents to the bank and my granddad we went in and started was normal. You know, you get your sucker when you come out of the kind of the bank, you know, going in investment Alabama, and I was excited to go in there to get my candy. And I saw I was learning to write at this time, and my granddad was doing his business. He signed an X on the line, and I said, you know, you know, Granddaddy, why are you signing an AX? Because at this time I'm thinking I'm learning to write. Everybody knows how to write. And my grandmother signed her name next to his, and so my grandmother was like, hush, girls, get your can, then let's go. So when I got home, my mother is a teacher, I said, Mom, granddad is signing to X. What is dad? And so she began to tell me. Of course, I think I was in second grade, so I was learning curses, so I didn't really understand. But as I grew up, I learned, you know, that was his mark. My granddad, my idol. At the time, he couldn't He couldn't even write, and I thought he could read because I would see him reading the Bible. But he might have just been memorizing things. I really don't know. But that started me to say, you know what, I've got to get my education. That's what I know I can have. I can have the knowledge to help me to go further. And then as I began to see the world unfold growing up, I decided, did you know I used to My parents used to take us to Detroit. That was our vacation to visit a relative.
Speaker 1: Detroit, and everybody going to Orlando Disney, You're going to Detroit.
Speaker 2: Huh, I'm going to Detroit. So and we would drive too. Now we wasn't getting on a bus or plane. So from Bestma, Alabama to Detroit that's twelve hours. Okay, so we're in the family driving. But I began to see that there was something else out there than best My Alabama. And at that point I could combine education with some experiences and I had I had to have it, so I had to get out and see all I could see outside of beth My, Alabama. Now I go back because my parents are there and my family is still there, so I go back frequently. But I want to see what's out in the world. I want to visit and get all the knowledge and experience that I can get so that I can help somebody else to leave best My Alabama if they want to.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know, I really appreciate you telling me that honest story, because I know some friends who cannot read, and they do they do or learn to acclimate themselves to the real world based on how you wouldn't even know if you met them, you wouldn't know they couldn't read or write because they've learned over the years how to hide that deficiency. But that's something that you shouldn't be hiding. Education is available to you and once you get it. I would tell people my degree is in mathematics and minor and sociology. I always tell people they can't repot my degree. They can't repote my education once I get it. They can't come and say, hey, you know some of you owe some money. Hey, hey, hey, it's right there. You can't take it back, can't repot, okaymail on, remall on and so. But your book was it covered three areas that I really wanted to discuss, and this is why I brought you on the show. Mentorship, advocacy, and sponsorship because those are three things and I'm doing a series. I had an individual on the show two weeks ago talking about mentorship and a lot of people are not understanding the value of mentorship when I was growing up, because we didn't use that word. You know, it was just somebody who came along and it advised you, or we now know they were mentoring me. I now know. I I looking back at my life. Sure, I know I was being mentored. I didn't get to this radio show by myself. Mentorship, advocacy and sponsorship drove me through the these paths where I didn't know or didn't see the value of myself, didn't understand how to get a promotion, and it helped me. Before we go to break how important was the mentorship in your life?
Speaker 2: Mentorship? You know, as you can see in my book as you read, mentorship is keen. Sponsorship is powerful. So mentorship is keen. Sponsorship is powerful, and so we'll we can break those down so everybody can understand the difference. Because some people use those words interchangeably. They are not the same. For me, I was being mentored. In my book, I talk about, you know, my first mentor. I learned to play the piano by ear when I was a young child, and I had a mentor that helped me through that process. And I talk about that. As you said, I didn't name her my mentor. I didn't even know that what she was until you know, you look back at things and how things happen, and you just like they helped me, They mentored me, they guided me through the process. So people have mentors throughout their lives. They just have to see them and take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the key is seeing them and understanding them. Now the young people get it. I'm going to go to break. We're gonna come back and continue this conversation about mentorship, advocacy and sponsorship, doing extra work and not being paid for it. I've talked about that a lot on my show. I'm telling you when I got this book, I went like, this is my book because this is all I've been preaching.
Speaker 2: Cheryl.
Speaker 1: So you came to the right door. You're knocked on the right door on Money Making Conversations master Class because we're gonna tell your story. Let everybody know how important this book is for them to read. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversation Masterclass. This is Rasean MC, your host. I am speaking to Cheryl Orange. She wrote the book The Courage to Continue Navigating Your Corporate Journey and three pillows. I call them pillows because they stood out for me when I read the book Mentorship, Advocacy and Sponsorship. Those three pillows gave her the career and the navigation ability to go and rise through the corporate world. Am I correcting an assessment, Cheryl that that is correct.
Speaker 2: That is correct. And I want to make sure that everybody understands, especially my college student, that mentorship and sponsorship and advocacy are different. You know, mentorship, you can I put it in the analogy of a choir. My mentors. I am the lead singer. You know, you are the lead singer of your choir. Your mentors are the people that are the background. They're helping you, you know, rehearse. They're helping you to get your voice right, get your tone correct. They're helping you to get all the skills so that when you are so lowing at you're the best that you can beat. Your sponsors are kind of like your pr people. They're out there knocking down doors to get you gigs and to get you in a position where you can show off your tools, your pipes, you can sing. They're out there on your behalf getting you the job. They're in rooms that you're not in. They're speaking about you. They're saying you can do it. You've just got to win. It's your time. You just got to get up and lead and do and be the best singer that you can beat. So your mentors are helping you be your skills. You have to perform, but your sponsors are people that are helping you to get out in front, get the new jobs, get the position, get the gig, if you will, they're out there promoting you. Your advocates are the people when you are not in the room and your sponsor is Your advocates are the people that are sitting around the table that's saying you know what. Yeah, I heard her. I heard her at her last gig and she was Bob. You know. They are the people that are supporting you as well, but they are in the room when you're not there. So I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But it makes a lot of sense because that's why I'm letting you talk because I've used all those examples because when I was in doubt, you know, it was my sponsor who pushed me out front when I didn't know what I have to say. It was my advocate who encouraged other people understand and listen to what he can do, believe in him. It was the mentor that was the person that I didn't really understand that. That was the silent that was the silent parent, the you know, the teacher, you know, I always tell people I got in college because my teacher signed me, had me sign an application that I didn't know what I was signing, And it turned out that's the application that got me into the University of Houston. That was a mentorship. She didn't have to do that, and so and I could think of back many people in my life who stepped to the plate because they saw me when I wanted to go. I always tell people they put bumps in your life. They bump you. You know, when I wanted to go left and take the easy route, they bumped you and kept you right. And I always share this story because you shared a lot of great stories in your book. When I went from the eighth grade to the ninth grade, I was tired of being you know, the drum, you know, the drum major as doctor Martin Luther King, being out front. You know, I was tired of that. So I dropped all my core classes and signed up for baking and auto mechanic and so on. Seriously, I signed up for all those classes. And my teacher, who I didn't even know, didn't even know this lady. She went and called my mom and said and had my mom come up to school and said he cannot do that. This one right here cannot do that. He has a very special place in this world and we have to keep him on track. She said that to me, I was just crying. I was just crying. That was my mentor. That was my mentor. I didn't know. That was the same lady who four years later had me sign an application to get me in the University of Houston. And I didn't even know. And all I wanted to do when I graduated from high school was to be a forklift driver. That's all I wanted to be sure, was a forklift driver. And that's what the sponsorship came in and said. No, that's when the advocate comes in and say you can be better, and I'm gonna show you how. So when I read those three pillows, I went, this is a book that a lot of young people need to understand. Now, my question to you, Cheryl, mentorship, sponsorship advocacy. Can that help one overcome racism in the corporate world?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if it will overcome, but it will definitely help in my opinion, because I will I will share that not all of my mentors have looked like me and quite frankly, My very first mentor was a white male and he saw, as you said, something in me and says, you know what, I'm going to spend time with you to help you learn what you need to learn, because you you fresh off the boat. I help you. And he took me in and showed me all the different ways you can do things and how you can get things done within the organization. And so but with his co signing, and at that age, you know, you think you need to be co signed at an early age. You know, with his co signing, that helped me to maneuver throughout the company. You know, as I've gotten older, you know co signing is not as important from that perspective, but you do need some part of that. Somebody is to vouch for you, as you said, advocate for you. You need people to do that. And so that may help you from a racism perspective when others say just look at you and count you off. If you have someone co signing you that doesn't necessarily look like you, that may help you get over the hunts just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know, you being a female and you're in that tech industry, you know, because if you believe your degree was with m I s right.
Speaker 2: Computer computer science.
Speaker 1: Yes, ma'am uh, navigating that dominated industry and technology. How did it?
Speaker 2: Did it?
Speaker 1: Did did you get frustrated by? And how did you overcome those moments of male and I'm sure's the white male world that you were in that allowed you to still have this conversation with me and still be positive.
Speaker 2: Well, of course I was frustrated, and to be quite frank with you, still can be frustrating today being the only black, the only female in the room. It's quite frustrating sometimes, but you know you have to go back. For me. I go back and I think about, you know, my granddad was frustrated, probably marking that X. So what you're talking about. You know, you need to get over that and keep pressing. And that's what I think we have to do. In my book, I talk about a concept of three teams. When you're getting frustrated, take a deep breath. Sometimes you have to raise your finger like you in church and tip out the meaning go and get yourself together, because you know it will be frustrating. But we've got to see the bigger picture, the bigger vision, and say, you know what, don't come out the bag on this one. You need to get it together and come back in and sit in your space because you're here for a reason. Everybody is in a space for a reason. But make the best out of your space and where you are. And that's what I think the beauty is when we can understand we're here for a reason, we're here for a time, and so we have to do the best we can with what we have, and don't just be frustrated. Turn that frustration into action. I talked about take those limits. You got that frustration and make some lemonade.
Speaker 1: Figure out how now you're gonna cut your on me now? Cheryl, you living at the lemonade, Come on now. But as I'm talking to the author of the courage to continue to navigating your corporate journey. As we wrap up this interview, I got a couple of minutes left here, Cheryl, as a founding member of the FedEx African American Committee, what initiative initiatives did you champion to promote diversity and inclusion within the company.
Speaker 2: So, as I shared with you earlier, I was at FedEx about twenty six years and you know, my first couple of years, we created This African American Committee was what now is today a BRG, a business resource group in comp in Corporate America, that's what they call them. And so what we started to do was bring the forefront issues of African Americans in the company and we created forums where people could get interview help so that they can progress on into you know, management positions. We did resume building, you know, we were starting now. Mind you, this is twenty years twenty six years ago or so, we were starting to build that network and even today they are still doing those things at FedEx. For the resource group, we actually every Black History we have a Black History Month celebration where we have people like Donna Brazil and Ben Hooks came before he passed away. We have major people coming in and motivating us to keep moving because we've got to keep moving. We can this then still and so we created forums and places for us to just be and feel safe, feel a part of something not just work work work. We have a community now where we can come together and do all kinds of things together. And I feel really good about, you know, being a founding member of making that happen across the company that now has five hundred thousand employees.
Speaker 1: She's special. Her name is from Bessemer, Alabama, right outside of Birmingham, and got fifty five thousand people in there. When she was raising it about just twenty of them. She threw some extra numbers. She throw extra five thousand. I looked it up. It wasn't nothing but twenty thousand running around there. But she's little. She thought big, big numbers her book. They're courage to continue navigating your corporate journey.
Speaker 2: Cheryl.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Wow. It's always appreciate. You know, the life I led had relevancy and your book allowed me to see that. And I want to continue to help you promote this as we exit. Where can we get this book?
Speaker 2: You can get this book on Cherylborrange dot com. That is if you'd like an autographed copy, but if you would like to just have the book, it's Barnesondoble dot com, Amazon dot com, anywhere you can buy books, you can probably get my book.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. I really want to appreciate you coming on the show. And we go talk soon because this is a book, mentorship, sponsorship, advocacy. You can't go wrong and you have a great day, And again, thank you for Calling Money Making Conversation Master Class.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for having me. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: You're amazing again. Don't go Nowhere. We have a clock Atlanta University alumni about to come on the call, you know, former Miss Michigan, former Miss uncl I just all the clues I'm gonna give you. She's on the line right now, but she is to talk about the Empowerment Me tour that we need to all hear about. Don't go Nowhere, coming right back. Rushan McDonald and my guests.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.