Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm John Tucker.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: We begin with last night's State of the Union. President Biden delivered a spirited in political speech ling out his pitch for a second term. With many Americans concerned about Biden's fitness, the president's oant to portray his age as an asset.
Speaker 3: You can lead America with ancient ideas, only take us back. You lead America the land of possibilities. You need a vision for the future and what can and should be done.
Speaker 2: President Biden also touting his accomplishments throughout the night, pointing to job creation. His bind part is an infrastructure bill lowering prescription drug prices.
Speaker 1: Well, John, The President also repeatedly targeted Donald Trump, without ever mentioning him by name. He framed their matchup as a choice over several galvanizing issues like abortion rights and preserving American democracy, which he says are under assault at home and abroad.
Speaker 3: My predecessor on some of you here seek to bury the truth about January sixth, I will not do that. This is a moment to speak the truth and to bury the lies. Here's the simple truth. You can't love your country only when you win.
Speaker 1: In the more than hour long speech, President Biden also addressed issues where he's faced criticism from both parties. He looked to reassure Democrats skeptical about the war in Israel, announcing that the US is building a temporary peer to get aid into Gaza, and he schoolded Republicans for failing to take up a recent bipartisan border bill.
Speaker 2: Well munch of the attention was paid to the performance at President Biden during his hour plus address. We got reaction after the State of Union from Bloomberg political contributors Genie Zeno and Rick Davis.
Speaker 4: I think it was raucous. He was interacting with members of Congress, and I think performance wise, he may have been able to do what he did last year, which was quell some of the doubts about his age and his ability. So I think from a performance perspective, I'm not sure that the White House or the campaign could have expected anything more from this president.
Speaker 5: He used this opportunity to contrast over a dozen times with his predecessor, the unnamed man in this speech, Donald Trump, and I think it was very aggressive in that case, So I would say this speech was an offensive speech. It was him taking it to Donald Trump, defending the turf he's created for himself and his presidency, and talking to voters tonight, much more so than Congress, and much more so, frankly, than the foreign policy aspects of.
Speaker 2: This Bloomberg political contributors Rick Davis and Genie Zeoso. Biden's speech laid out the makings of a re election platform, including raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations, push to pass a law and acting Roll versus Wade, and expanding background checks on gun purchases.
Speaker 1: Well John and the Republican rebuttal Alabama Senator Katie Britt called President Biden a dithering and diminished a leader and warned of a blank American future under his presidency. Britt blasted Biden's work on the border.
Speaker 6: President Biden's border policies are a disgrace. This crisis is despicable, and the truth is it is almost entirely preventable.
Speaker 1: Katie Bridd, a first term Alabama Republican, is the youngest woman in the Senate at age forty two. It's a third year in a row that Republicans have picked a woman to speak to the nation after Biden's State of the Union.
Speaker 2: And Karen Sting and Washington Congress has started the process of having Bike Dance divest TikTok, Bloomberg's and Baxter has more in the story.
Speaker 7: The House Energy and Commerce Committee has unanimously passed legislation to compel the separation or face having a banned on app stores or web hosting services. Congressman Mike Gallagher is advancing the legislator says, it's not a ban, it is a sale.
Speaker 8: That's the lie that they can tell and disrupt activity on the Hill. Can imagine what they could do with the app in terms of election year misinformation, in terms of misinformation about a war. That proves the point that we can't put this app in the hands of our foremost adversary.
Speaker 2: The Chinese Communist.
Speaker 7: Party China, of course, is not happy. It even pushed out notifications urging users to contact members of Congress to protest. Ed Baxter Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio right ed, thanks well.
Speaker 1: He turned to the economy now, and attention is focused on the jobs report as we close out the week. Economists are forecasting a gain of two hundred thousand jobs, and we get a preview from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 9: January's jobs report was a surprise to say the least three hundred and fifty three thousand jobs created, a multiple of prior months, and a reminder the labor market hasn't succumbed to higher interest rates yet. This month's consensus forecast sees somewhat weaker but still strong job creation For February, Unemployment is expected to be unchanged, still below four percent. Michael McKee, Blueberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Mike, and more signs that interest rates are coming around the world cuts, that is the Senate Banking Committee yesterday, the Fed chair Jay Palin said he's well aware of the risk of cutting too late.
Speaker 10: If what we expect and what we're seeing is continued strong growth, a strong labor market, and continuing progress and bringing inflation down. If that happens, if the economy evolves over that path, then we do think that the process of carefully removing the restrictive stance of policy will canon will begin over the course of this year.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Powell's European counterpart, Christine Laguard, offered more specific guidance indicating the European Central Bank may be in a position to lower rates in June.
Speaker 11: We clearly need more evidence, more data, and we know that this data will come in the next few months. We will know a little more in April, but we will know a lot more in June.
Speaker 1: ECB President Christine Lagard and her fellow policymakers left a deposit rate unchanged at four percent for a fourth straight meeting, and.
Speaker 2: Turning to the markets ahead of the jobs report this morning, futures are mixed after another record clothes on Wall Street and tender year treasury yields are at a one month low. Gold is up for an eighth straight day. We SMB five hundred is on pace for gains of the past seventeen out of nineteen weeks. That's a winning streak last scene in the nineteen sixties at Tracy mcmillion, head of Global Asset Allocation at Wells Fargo Investment Institute, is cautious on the markets.
Speaker 4: At ten percent pullback is not at all uncommon.
Speaker 1: We typically do see about ten percent pullback every year.
Speaker 2: Well Tracy mcmillion, head of Global Aset Allocation at Wells Fargo Investment Institute, is looking to move money into small cap stocks and emerging markets during any pullback.
Speaker 1: Well stocks sit at a record john it appears investors are beginning to pull money out of big tech. Bank of America says about four point four billion dollars was pulled from tank funds this week. That's the largest weekly outflow on record, and strategist Michael Hartnetz says equity markets are showing abnormal gains in abnormal times.
Speaker 2: Our shares of General Electric Karen trading at their highest levels in more than six years. The stock gain more than four percent yesterday after the company's aerospace division set plans to return more of its profit to shareholders, and that includes restoration of a significant dividend. We spoke yesterday with CEO Larry Kulp.
Speaker 12: Both here in the US and around the world. Our business supports the warfighter, both in both configurations, and we know that there are advanced technologies that governments want to deploy or be ready to deploy over time, and that's where we're investing from an R and D perspective.
Speaker 2: That's GE CEO Larry Culp. He says operating earnings a GE Aerospace at forecast reached ten billion dollars by twenty twenty eight, and.
Speaker 1: It's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that were joined by Bloomberg's Michael bar Good Morning, Michael.
Speaker 13: Good Morning, Karen. New York Republican George Santos announced last night that he would make another run for a New York House seat after being expelled by his colleagues in December. The indicted former congressman, who attended Thursday State of the Union address, plans to run against Nick Lolota for New York's first district. He had previously represented the third district. Santos posted the news during President Joe Biden's address. For the second day, about seven hundred and fifty members of the National Guard were dispersed into several of New York City's busy subway stations. Some of the stations include Manhattan's Grand Central, that have been plagued by reports of gun violence and other crimes. MTA had General Lee insist the Guard will not replace the presidents of uniformed NYPD officers inside the subway.
Speaker 14: I love uniformed officers of all kinds in my stations. Why because fifth when surveyed, fifty five percent of MTA customers say the one thing that they want that makes them feel safer in the subway is to see a uniformed officer.
Speaker 13: MTA Chief General Leber says that the guard will likely move day to day to different stations as they're needed. An Army soldier at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, has been charged with selling military secrets to China. The Justice Department says Sergeant Corbin Schultz, who worked as an intelligence analyst, sold the information for a total of forty two thousand dollars. US attorney Henry Lavendez and Nashville says Schultz was indicted on six counts.
Speaker 15: This included documents and information related to advanced fighter aircraft, advanced military helicopters, intercontinental ballistic missiles, high mobility artillery rocket systems, defensive missile systems in Chinese military tactics.
Speaker 13: Schulz is accused of selling information about the high Mars long range rocket system, which the US has given Ukraine to fight off the Russian invasion. After applying to join nearly two years ago, Sweden officially became the thirty second member of the NATO Military Alliance yesterday. It marks an end to the country's decades of post World War II neutrality. Attorney General Merrick Garland addressed the growing threat of anti Semitism in the US and brought in a speech to the Anti Defamation League. Garland grew up facing the anti semitism other American Jewish families faced. He says his Justice Department has seen those threats triple in just the last year.
Speaker 5: They do not capture the fear of Jewish Americans that any sign of our identity could make us the target of an attack.
Speaker 13: Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. Michael Barr, this is Bloomberg Karent.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Michael, thank you. What we do bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But now, as Michael said, you can get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you want it. Just subscribe to Bloomberg News Now and you can get the latest headlines right at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot Com plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. It is time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. And here's John stash Houer.
Speaker 16: John carrying a big injury in the NBA, where the Minnesota Timberwolves have been a big surprise leading the Western Conference, but now they're all star Karl Anthony Towns has a torn meniscus headed for surgery. We'll certainly miss the rest of the regular season. Could be back in the late playoff rounds without them. T Wolves went to Indiana. Their other all star, Anthony Edwards, poured in forty four points and he saved the game at the end.
Speaker 2: So reap out of the Pacers.
Speaker 9: They don't call the time out.
Speaker 2: Haliburton the head of head Smith with it triples.
Speaker 16: If chick watch, Oh my goodness, what a rejection from by Anthony Edwards to save the game.
Speaker 9: What thirteen?
Speaker 2: What eleven Wolves? When Walls win?
Speaker 16: He fan with the call. Bad loss for the Nets one eighteen one twelve in Detroit, where the Pistons had one since January. Pistons had two players, Jordan Ivy and Kate Cunningham combined for sixty six points and Denver and Nikolioakis triple doubly scored thirty two. The Nuggets beat the Celtics won fifteen one o nine. So that's two losses for Boston since an eleven game win streak.
Speaker 2: First two game.
Speaker 16: Losing street for the Celtics since November. Warriors lost at home to Chicago, won twenty five, won twenty two to two Bowls. DeMar DeRozan and Nicolo Vutevich both scored thirty three. Steph Curry shod only five of eighteen and late in the game Curry limped off with an injured ankle. At the Garden tonight, Nickson the Magic at the season ending. Now those two would meet in the first round of the playoffs. Orlando has beaten the Knicks in each of the first three meetings. On the ice in Newark, Devil's got a hat trick from Timo Meyer beat Saint Louis four to one. The Islanders, with seven different goal scorers, won seven to two at San Jose. The Bruins by Toronto four to one. College Jibs Rutgers lost at Wisconsin. Shane Lowry leads the Palmer Golf at Bay Hill by a shot after an opening.
Speaker 2: Around sixty six.
Speaker 16: Russell Wilson, now a free agent, quarterback expected to meet with the Pittsburgh's dealer johns.
Speaker 17: Dash I.
Speaker 2: We're Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 16: John.
Speaker 2: All right, John, thanks very much. President Biden sought to breathe new life in his re election rematch against Donald Trump, delivering a spirited and sharply political State of the Union speech last night. Let's bring in our first guest to discuss. Laura Davison is Bloomberg News Politics reporter. Laura. Thanks for being with us this morning, appreciate it. How is the speech being received this morning?
Speaker 17: So first, really, Biden did the first role of the State Union, which is do no harm, do not make a major verbal gaff, do not know show signs of his age. That was something that has been you know, much talked about in this and something that voters are very worried about. And who was able to clear that hurdle. What Biden did here was really sort of kick off his twenty twenty four campaign. Earlier in the week, Trump had the spotlight, you know, after Nikki Hayley dropped out, after he did very well on Super Tuesday, and this was Biden's turn to make his case on the the types of policies he would pursue. If he were president, you know, things like higher taxes, things like pursuing more ways to cut cost for you know, middle class Americans.
Speaker 2: And this was clearly aimed not at the Congress, but more at the voting public.
Speaker 6: Was it not?
Speaker 2: Yes, this really?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 17: You know, at times you saw Biden speak directly to you know, the the lawmakers in the room with specific points. He called on Republicans to get together with Democrats and pass this emigration deal that had in stalled in the chamber earlier this year. However, you know, really the message here was to to you know, to voters, to say, look, here's the contrast that I will have with my opponent. You know, one of the things that that the Democrats and the Biden campaign have been very concerned about is just how strongly Trump is performing in the polls and swing states. So they're trying to craft this message to say, hey, remember you know what you know, Trump's reign was like, we want to you know, paint a different picture of what the next four years under Biden could look like.
Speaker 2: Did he appear resilient? I mean, of course, there are questions about the eighty one year old president's age and concerns about that. Did he seemed to allay any of those concerns with the performance last night? It was what over an hour speech, over an hour.
Speaker 17: Speech, and he also, you know, at several times opted to go off script. You know, at one point, you know, he was being heckled by Marjorie Taylor Green and he actually you know, addressed her directly addressed the issue she wanted it, and really was able to sort of prove that that vibrancy this is, you know, been an issue that that that Biden has been you know, trying to figure out how to you know, sort of tackle the age issue head on, make jokes about it or you know, in the case, which he did very effectively last year, is sort of you know, getting to these back and forth you know, shouting matches at points with Republicans, and you know, he's really able to command that stage and and and sort of get the last word.
Speaker 2: Go into a little more detail about the issues that were brought up and the issues that are likely to be first and foremost among voters as we approach the November elanctionin how did he address those issues?
Speaker 17: So he really opened up his remarks talking specifically about some of the threats to democracy that that Trump posed in his words. You know, so things like you know, standing with NATO allies, you know specifically, you know, looking making sure that Ukraine has continued support so that Putin is not able to sort of advance and take more control over Ukraine. He also this was really a domestic policy speech at its core, so he ticked through his accomplishments, you know, citing things like more money for chips, infrastructure, the Inflation Reduction Act would had a lot of investments and renewed technology, and then kind of made this pivot to, you know, here are the things that we do next, you know, paid for by higher taxes on corporations and the wealthy. He you know, really renewed his commitment to things like tax breaks for middle classes, you know, so uh, you know, the child tax credit. He talked about a new tax credit for first time home buyers. You know, also looking at other ways to reduce things like drug prices, grocery prices, and you know, go after corporate inflation in various ways.
Speaker 2: Laura always a pleasure appreciated. Lori Davidson, Bloomberg News Politics reporter recapping last night the State of the Union, addressed by President Biden, and our other top story this morning was stocks they hit an old time high the run up to the jobs report out this morning, and for more than that. We are now joined by Lori Calvacina, head of US Anquity Strategy at RBC Capital Markets. Ri Or it's always a pleasure talking to you, another record, So what next for stocks?
Speaker 12: Well, thanks for.
Speaker 18: Having me as always, and look, I think the stock market has been very interesting over the last couple of weeks because as I've been out on the road talking to investors, I've heard a lot of worrying and a lot of angst that the US economy is so hot the FED can't possibly cut rates. I think Chairman Towel through a bit of cold water on that earlier this week. But I do think even before that, the market was really queuing and climbing off of this idea that the economy is much much hotter than people anticipated. And so it seems like good news is good news for now.
Speaker 2: Well, Pal said, the FED is what were his words, not far from the level of confidence needed to ease policy. I also have to wonder, Lorie, the extent to which FED policy is even in the driver's seat for equities. Maybe it's just something like momentum or earnings.
Speaker 18: I think that's fair, you know. I think as we went through this last reporting season, it felt to me to the audits like companies we're trying to talk down expectations a little bit. There were no absolutely, in my mind, no eminent signs of any kind of cracks in the economy. Obviously some companies are having issues here and there, but generally looks like a pretty solid economy underneath the surface. Lots and lots of complaints about costs, which if may have been driving some of the you know, I wouldn't even call it cautious commentary. It just it felt like people were trying to keep expectations in check. But I do think that we're editing, you know, kind of.
Speaker 19: This period in twenty two twenty three that was similar to twenty ten, twenty eleven, or two oh three, kind of these periods of messy post crisis normalization that we tend to experience after major shocks to the world order, to the global economy, you know, things like the tech bubble, the GFC, COVID, these are all major major mile markers for the economy and the stock market, and.
Speaker 18: It takes time for the investment community to get back on its feet after that happens. It takes time for the economy as well. And I think we're sort of coming out of you know, kind of the fog speak and investors are really able to recognize the underlying strength. And I think there's still you know, just a lot of healing that's going on psychologically that's powering this economy.
Speaker 2: We have the equal weight version of the S and P five hundred that set record for the first time in a couple of years. Does that put to bed concerns about a market bredth?
Speaker 18: I think I wouldn't say entirely. You know, it's funny in the market breadth conversation, it was the Mag seven, you know, we joke it down to the terrific three. Some people have started play was only one stock now, But there's been this Darwinistic attack on that Mag seven bucket. And if your earnings growth isn't holding up, they kick you out.
Speaker 17: Of the bucket.
Speaker 18: And so what we've seen is that investors are sniffing out the idea that the earnings growth advantage of these major stocks that have dominated the market is shrinking relative to the rest of the market, and I think that gap is going to continue to strength shrink as economic expectations improve. Generally, I think that should boose cyclical companies, value companies, small cap companies, and their earnings prosite, which will encourage investors to rotate into other things. And I've been telling you know, I have someone I speak with it's just convinced that the market has to go down if we see a rotation out of these biggest names. And I say, just remember, if you take a little bit of market cap out of those biggest names and put them into the rest of the market, just proportionally, it's very, very different. What's a drop in the bucket, for one, is a bit of a flood in the rest of the market, especially if you look at things like small caps, and so I do think the market has the ability to weather that rotation and you know, and not really suffer any extreme damage because of it.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's the house view this morning? The consensus as far as Bloomberg, the economists surveyed by Bloomberg is a two hundred thousand on the Payrolls report. What are you guys looking for?
Speaker 18: So our economists are looking for something a bit higher than that, and they are also paying attention to the unemployment rate, and so I think, you know, they're not overly worried about this in terms of our FED call and our specific number, and we're looking for two sixty. And you know, I think that our team has been very, very fortunate to work with them for the past year because they've been telling me to look for June cuts. We were never in the March camp, and we've also never really been in, you know, sort of this camp that was looking for any kind of nasty downturn early this year. We've generally been into soft landing camp for quite some time. Even though our team worked, everyone else has had to adjust their numbers up a little bit. So we never thought we were going to see this massive damage to the labor market that was going to cause the panic the FED to induce these panic cuts. So you know, we're looking for good news to be good news again.
Speaker 2: Today, you're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast beat at six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one O six one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious Xmbeiheartradio app, and on Bloomberg dot com. I'm John Tucker and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak