Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to Stefan never told you a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome and Happy Women's International Day, International Women's Day. That says it wrong, International Women's Day.
Speaker 1: Annie, Yes, Happy International Women's Day to you as well.
Speaker 2: And y'all, we are actually recording the day of just to give you a time frame. Yes, this is March eighth, four and yeah, this is very current affairs, so everything we speak of is going to be relatively current, so in the last couple of years for sure. But yeah, it's International Women's Day and what better day than to talk about the declining birth rate? No, yeah, yes, that's a hell of an introduction, right, yes, definitely, And we're gonna go ahead and put a content warning so we're not necessarily talking about anything to a graphic, but there's going to be a conversation about children and babies and birthy and reproductive health. So there you go, and limited rights of women and marginalized communities.
Speaker 1: All right, let's have ce Wenesday.
Speaker 2: That's how we do it. So I think we talked about this actually this week. We always have these ideas for our shows, and we oftentimes, especially me underestimate how deep some of these topics run. I will say I was able to do this one in one episode, I hope, unless we get to really deep conversations, so I want to edit all that. But yes, uh, this is a little larger than what I had, which we were going to do as a Monday mini because I've seen so many tiktoks about it and I was like, yes, we need to talk about this, and I really thought that this specific topic was going to be a quick rundown of the declining population and the people who have refused to have more children as a form of protests to the ill treatment and constant abuse that they've had to suffer at the hands of the patriarchy and misogynists in Asian countries specifically. But as per usual, while doing the research, we found some connections, some disturbing connections all around the world on how politicians and people in power i e. Men in power and racists are trying to find against people who can get pregnant and who are choosing not to have children. So we've had several episodes talking about different perspectives on choosing whether or not to have children. People who are not physically able to have children and for those who do have children, the good, the bad, the difficulties, and the rewards. We've talked about the sexism, racism, able ism, and so many other isms when it comes to the overturning of Roe v. Wade and all the other violations that are part of the aftermath. Go back to our recent episode on the Comstock Act. But today we're not just talking about those who have decided to go gett societal norms and not star families, which is causing a decline in birthsen and the population, but also talking about the link between the declining birth rate and current abortion bands that are happening today. And that's just a really minor part in this, but we thought it was important to talk about it because the link is there, the connections are there, and we need to have a broader conversation about that and where we're going with this and where it is getting frightening. It's been frightening. So with all of that, let's talk numbers. We love some numbers. According to recent reports and data, the number of people choosing not to have children has caused a significant decline of the birth rates, so much so that many governments are approaching panic. To try to adjust those numbers and to help us discuss this topic, we wanted to add this quote from visualcapitalist dot com titles charted the rapid decline of global birth rates, which differentiates birth rate and fertility rate so quote. Birth rates are commonly measured using a metric called the crude birth rate or CBR, which represents the number of live births per one thousand individuals in a given population during a specific period, usually one year. The measured decline in CBR is also a result of plummeting fertility rates across the globe. Not to be confused with birth rates, fertility rates measure how many children a woman will have over the course of her lifetime. While the country's birth rate is directly impacted by the fertility rate, it also takes into account other factors population size, a structure of the population, access to contraception, cultural norms, government policies, and socioeconomic.
Speaker 1: So with that, a research article that we found on the United Nations Population's fund Are UNFPA titled policy responses to low Fertility? How effective are they? Says quote. In the last three decades, sub replacement fertility has spread around the world one half of the global population today lives in countries where the period total fertility rate is below two point one burst per woman. East Asia, Southern Europe, and parts of Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe reached ultra low fertility rates, with the period total fertility at one to one point four and family size at one point four to one point six verths per woman born in the mid nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Right, and the information that was released in twenty twenty three seems to only confirm these ideas, so that was from twenty nineteen. According to the same Visualcapitalist dot com, every country on the list has seen a decline in birth rates in the last seventy years, with some declines more staggering than the others. For example, China recorded forty one births per one thousand people in nineteen fifty. By twenty twenty one, that number had fallen to just seven point six at an eighty one percent decrease. South Korea, the twenty ninth most populous country in the world in twenty twenty one, saw an even larger eighty six percent drop in its birth rates since nineteen fifty. In fact, almost every single country in this data set has seen a double digit fall in their birth rates over the past seventy years. Only the Democratic Republic of Congo has seen a single digit percentage decline between nineteen fifty and twenty twenty one. And you know what's happening with the DRC. So I feel like those numbers are askewed. And the list they show or talk about is quote a snapshot of the CBR for the forty nine most populous countries of the world at different years from nineteen fifty to twenty twenty one. Just to add some contexts, right.
Speaker 1: The Economists featured in an article in twenty two three addressing the possible consequences of the declining birth rate. The article says, quote, and they're roughly two hundred and fifty years since the Industrial Revolution. The world's population, like its wealth, has exploded. Before the end of the century, however, the number of people on the planet could shrink for the first time since the Black Death. The root cause is not a surge in deaths, but a slump and burse across much of the world. The fertility rate, the average number of burst per woman, is collapsing, and it continues quote in two thousand, the world's fertility rate was two point seven burst per woman, comfortably above the replacement rate of two point one at which a population is stable. Today it is two point three and falling. The largest fifteen countries by GDP all have a fertility rate below the replacement rate. That includes America and much of the rich world, but also China and India, neither of which is rich, but which together account for more than a third of global population. The result is that in much of the world, the patter of tiny feet is being drowned out by the clatter of walking sticks. The prime examples of Asian countries are no longer just Japan and Italy, but also include Brazil, Mexico, and Thailand. By twenty thirty, more than half the inhabitants of East and Southeast Asia will be over forty. As the old dye and are not fully replaced, populations are likely to shrink. Outside Africa, the world's population is forecast to peak in the twenty fifties and end the centuries smaller than it is today. Even in Africa, the fertility rate is falling fast.
Speaker 2: So of course, the reasons behind the lower birth rates may differ all over the world, as does the possible solutions, But according to the earlier article from UNFPA, quote, among the main drivers of low fertility is the incompatibility between professional career and family life. In times of women's massive post secondary education and labor force participation on the one hand, and rising individualistic aspirations on the other hand, the inability to combine paid work with child rearing often results in childlessness or having one child only. This is closely connected with persistent gender inequalities and housework divisions. For decades, societies with strong traditional gender role norms have been continuously witnessing very low fertility. More recent factors contributing to fertility decline include the trend towards intensive parenting, as well as labor market uncertainty and instability coupled with soaring house prices. And though some narratives may try to point at feminism and it's kind of true and the overall lack of desire for children in the first place as the reason for birth rates declining, there's a lot of research showing that desirability for children hasn't gone down at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually read an interesting article kind of relating to to this the other day about how a lot of parents can only afford to have one kid, like they want kids, but they can only have the run. So there's this like really big explosion of single only children. But that puts pressure on them because, at least in the US, a lot of times the children have to pay for your parents when they get older, when they get sicker, and so it's sort of causing this this really negative effect of these kids not being able to afford that and kind of getting really in bad financial situations because they're the only child, which is right, A lot of that situation is messed up anyway, Like we shouldn't write our medical system in the US is not good exactly but exactly. I thought that was interesting because I hadn't really considered that before.
Speaker 2: Well, I've definitely been told many times, who's going to take care of you when you were old?
Speaker 1: Yes, me too, exactly how are you going.
Speaker 2: To be all alone?
Speaker 1: I think? Mom? Thanks? Okay, Well, here's a quote from the Conversation dot com about the US birth rates and some data they had found during their research. Quote. We found remarkable consistency and childbearing goals across cohorts. For example, if we look at teenage girls in the nineteen eighties, the cohort born in nineteen sixty five to sixty nine, they planned to have two point two children on average. Among the same age group in the early twenty first century, the cohort born in nineteen ninety five to nineteen ninety nine girls intended to have two point one children on average. Slightly more young people planned to have no children now than thirty years ago, but still the vast majority of US young adults planned to have kids, around eighty eight percent of teenage girls and eighty nine percent of teenage boys. We also found that as they themselves get older, people plan to have fewer children, but not by much. This pattern was also pretty consistent across cohorts among those born in nighte teen seventy five to seventy nine. For instance, men and women when they were twenty to twenty four planned to have an average of two point three and two point five children, respectively. These averages fell slightly to two point one children for men and two point two children for women by the time respondents for thirty five to thirty nine. Still, overwhelmingly most Americans plan to have children, and the average intended number of children is right around.
Speaker 2: Two Right and I think you and I have talked about when we saw ourselves in early twenties, we really thought by twenty five we would have two children. I had two children in mind, it had to be an even number. And I just saw TikTok about that about how like because one of them will be alone of activities are like if they have to ride a plane and then you have to separate, like all these things about wanting to have either two or four to make sure that didn't happen, And I was like, yeah, and also like the middle child syndrome, the fact that you don't want to have one middle child of the three because that's too traumatic. At least have two so I.
Speaker 1: Can bond as a middle child.
Speaker 2: Of course I would not. I'd never plan to have a big family. I also had said that it would depend on my husband, like even being very much into the like the Jesus world, I knew that if I was doing this alone, Hellna.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean that's another factor to consider in this conversation.
Speaker 2: Right, But I really did think that I was going to have that many children. And then as I get older and older, and at this point it's almost almost too late, I say, not really but because like I have friends my age who just had children. I'm like, congratulations, and they're all happy and healthy, and I love that for them. But like, up until recently, like the last three four years, I could not have afforded. I was living with people, I was actually having roommates. So there's no way to me that I could have actually had a child to pay for all the things and had a full time job, and like the amount of responsibility to me was too much, and just the thought of it made me have a panic attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the things that frustrates me the most. And I'll see sort of the like millennials or whatever generation that's younger is rooting everything. They're not buying houses, they're not getting kids, Like we can't afford it, right, I mean, this is different. I'm sure plenty of people would like to, but actually it's kind of a responsible decision to be like, you know what, I can't afford it. It's sad if you want kids and you can't afford them, but it is thought is going into it of like Okay, I can't do this right now.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure many people will be like we turned out fine. We weren't rich all these things, But then you also have to be like, yeah, but there's also a lot of trauma, not a lot of people who are not okay, So I just don't forget that far, Like, yes, for sure, absolutely, And this is not even adding on to like health issues. So if you are a disabled individual trying to manage all of that on top of like, there's so many two points to this conversation that we even leave out because all of these studies and all of these incentives and I should have put this at the top, are very much based on a heteronormative CISC couple and an ablistic idea that they are perfectly able to have children without complications. So because yeah, one of the things that we are not going to mention, and here's the medical expenses, which should be one of the number one things because well, the US being the biggest problem with like sulbsized healthcare anyway, mumble mumble, because the healthcare sucks. But when we talk about that in general, that the cost of all of that is also a problem, but we don't mention that here. And again when we're talking about these who they are actually going after especially and these countries they're going after a heteronormative couples because we don't mention it. But like Japanese government is not focused at all on the queer community, as in fact, it's almost like doubling down saying that they don't need rights at one point. So just a reminder. Yeah, and along with all the facts found in the UNFPA article, it speaks to the fact that many couples are waiting much later to have children, which may limit the amount of because they intend to have they write compared with earlier eras people today start having their children later, these delays also contribute to declining birth rates. Because people start later, they have less time to meet their child bearing goals before they reach biological or social age limits for having kids. As people wait longer to start having children, they are also more likely to change their minds about parenting.
Speaker 1: And yes, that's where I am, y'all. But they also note that the reasons stated earlier were very much linked to the decline. The article continues, but why are people getting a later start on having kids? We hypothesize that Americans see parenthood is harder to manage than they might have in the past. Although the US economy overall recovered after the Great Recession. Many young people in particular feel uncertain about their ability to achieve some of the things they see as necessary for having children, including a good job, a staple relationship, and safe, affordable housing. At the same time, the cost of raising children, from childcare and housing to college education are rising, and parents may feel more pressure to live up to high intensive parenting standards and prepare their children for an uncertain world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of that is absolute reasons for me that I decided I did not want to have children. Now we've gotten the general numbers and facts, so we've got a good base. We're going to look more closely at some of the countries that have been making headlines when it comes to this conversation, and we will start with the original idea behind this episode of the Asian countries, and we're only focused on three majors. Don't come at me because there's so much more out there. But we were just trying to get examples, and we're talking about the way men who've made a not so subtle statement, you know, Like we've talked a little bit about the feminist movement in South Korea and the activists who've been fighting back against at an administration that has been using every misogynistic tactic to reverse a lot of the work that seemed to be happening once upon a time when it came to moving forward in feminism and that included the four BE Movement. Check out our Feminists around the World episode we talked about, but just as a quicker reminder, the four BE movement is the four Nos, which originated in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, according to Like being public and stands for no sex with men, no child rearing, no dating men, and no marriage to men. And although this is a simple version of what the overall movement means, the stance is to amplify the stark disadvantage is placed on women in the nation, as well as the overall abusive nature of the patriarchal state of the country. And this with the attributing factors we mentioned before, it's not surprising that South Korea is currently the number one country with the lowest current birth rate in the world, and it's been like that for about three four years.
Speaker 1: Well. According to a recent BBC article published this month, South Korea has the lowest birth rate in the world and it continues to plummet, beating its own staggeringly low record year after year. Figures released on Wednesdays show it fell by another eight percent and twenty twenty three to zero point seven to two. This refers to the number of children a woman is expected to have in her lifetime for a population to hold study, that number should be two point one. If this trend continues, Korea's population is estimated to have by the year twenty one hundred.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know where North Korea comes into the play with this. I'm guessing it doesn't because the statistics aren't from there. But that's that's that's drastic and honestly, yeah, like we said, this may be one of those situations where they could blame feminism for the declining population because the people they've had enough for many of the women in Korea, they have learned that having a child could not only be adding on more responsibility, but also cost them their job, their independence, and overall their freedom. According to the same BBC article, they say the Korean women know too much. Essentially, One twenty eight year old woman who worked in HR said she's seen people who were forced to leave their jobs or who were passed over for promotions after taking a maternity leave, which had been enough to convince her to never have a baby. Korean women are the most highly educated of those in the OECD countries, and yet the country has the worst gender pay gap in a higher than average proportion of women out of work compared to men. Researchers say this proves they're being presented with a trade off have a career or have a family. Increasingly they are choosing a career, and for those who would gladly choose family over career, they can't afford to do it. The article will continue. More than half the population live in or around the capital Soul, which is where the vast majority of opportunities are, creating huge pressure on apartments and resources. Soul's birth rate has sunk to zero point five point five, the lowest in the country. Then there's the cost of private education. While unaffordable housing is a problem the world over. This is what makes Korea truly unique.
Speaker 1: But housing isn't the only problem. The price for education for children also adds up. Here's another quote from the age of four. Children are sent to an array of expensive extracurricular classes, from mass and English to music. In taekwondo. The practice is so widespread that to opt out is seen as setting your child up to fail, an inconceivable notion in hyper competitive Korea, this has made it the most expensive country in the world to raise a child. A twenty twenty two study found that only two percent of parents did not pay for private too days well ninety four percent said it was a financial burden.
Speaker 2: And y'all, if you've watched any K dramas, you know this is true. Like people will get real really like people have died according to the K dramas.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Trying to get these kids into these classes, and like it's it is like, from what I understand, people private tutors who are acclaimed they're almost as famous as K pop people like wow, education is very valued and we've kind of always known this to the point that it became a joke. But it is costly, which I'm like, huh. I always think, I'm like, what, I've been one of those two percent that didn't make it. Probably oh sad me. And of course this all comes with the expectation that women will continue their level of housework and child rearing at the same time. Is helping with income. That BBC article continues, over the past fifty years, Korea's economy has developed a breaknext propelling women into higher education and the workforce and explaining their ambition, But the roles of wife and mother have not evolved at nearly the same price. And still I think there's a whole thing about in laws too, and who takes care of them, and it's the wife. Like it's this like over the top understanding that you are taking over not only your own household but his household. And in some respect that tradition is still pretty steeped. And the government I've seen it coming and instead of seeing that they need to actually talk to those that's affected by it. But the most they try to throw some money at their problems.
Speaker 1: Of course, here's the quote from a March twenty twenty four article published in Time dot com. President Moonjayan launched several policies to try and incentivize women to have more children, including cash incentives for families. Under the scheme, every child born from twenty twenty two onwards receives a cash bonus of two million, one eight hundred and fifty US dollars to help cover prenatal expenses. In addition to a monthly payout that increases every month until the baby turns one. Other incentives include free day care, subsidized pay during childcare leave, and even group blind dates for public servants to try and match make couples.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so they can help.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: In fact, the country has spent an estimated two hundred billion US dollars to try to fix this problem, but as of today hasn't resulted to any changes, and they've tried other solutions, including hiring nannies from Southeast Asian countries and paying them below minimum wage gross gross, trying to incentivize exempting men from military services if they have children when at the under the age of thirty, which sounds like a misdirect but apparently, according to another study, men are part of the big problem too as well, maybe because they can't find women. I don't know, but I said that and other texts like this. But it wasn't until just recently that the politicians, and I mean like twenty twenty three, that the politicians realize that maybe talking to the citizens, specifically women or those who can give birth, may be helpful. And yeah, in the past year they have been going around the country talking to the younger generations. But yeah, still no results as of yet that we have.
Speaker 1: Seen or talked about.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any published saying that that's helping and anybody's changing their minds, because most of them are not. And China has been going through a similar decline. Of course, the history of China and babies not good. Not good. In nineteen eighty, the Chinese government implemented the one child policy, which was so strict that women were into situations they did not choose for themselves. According to an article written for the Global Institute of Women's Leadership, a Chinese researcher wrote, for thirty five years from nineteen eighty to twenty fifteen, the Chinese government maintained a one child policy, subjecting millions of women to force contraception, for sterilization, and forced abortion, and there have been stories about the level of cruelty the government would use in order to maintain that one child policy, including killing, the killing of newborn infants, kidnapping of women if they had were on their second or more pregnancy, or even taking family members of the pregnant person as hostages if that expectant person was in hiding, so they went all out, and it was in twenty sixteen, a year after they dropped the one child policy, the government increased it to two and it now has risen to a three child policy, allowing people to have up to three children now right, But.
Speaker 1: There are many who are so ch traumatized by the past policies that they still live as if they are still under those policies. Here's a quote from an article from NPR. The policy permeates through Chinese society in other, sometimes unexpected ways, because many prioritized having a son over a daughter. Orphotages experienced a surge, and baby girls who are abandoned or put up for adoption. Singles Day, China's biggest online shopping holiday akin to Black Friday in the US, is a recognition of the many bachelors who are unable to find partners in a gender skewed society.
Speaker 2: So that could be part of the reason. It could be, But the understanding is also there's still kind of a preference to men two boys, which doesn't make sense. Yeah, and the greatest scream of things, But I digress. And though they have changed the policy since then and now seem to recognize that there may be a problem with the fact that the population has declined. They have been second largest. For the past few years, India has been number one for the most populous, which seems to be a blow to the nation's ego. That surprised me, how figured that's what they wanted. But okay, but their new policies hasn't changed the birthway.
Speaker 1: Yes, adding on to the imbalance of gender in the population, the cost of living in gender inequality has also affected the numbers, much like South Korea. According to CNBC, as more women attain higher qualifications and rise up the ranks in the workplace, they expect their husbands to earn more than them. In twenty twenty, female students accounted for almost forty two percent of doctorate degree enrollment and a significantly higher number of women enrolled for a master's degree than men. Satista data showed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course, so that means people have been twosier when it comes to finding their man, to the point that people have been throwing money people, governments and corporations haven't thrown money at men to make them look better for mating purposes. Like, I don't know how else to say that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're right, but it sounds so like documentary.
Speaker 2: Nafety cut is this is where we're going at and just as a reminder, but this still is the expectation that women will take on all the household work and that women have less rights and will be responsible for this entirety of growth of populations essentially, and of course add to that the rising costs of housing and supplies as we talked about earlier, along with the increase of children allowed per household, the government and even corporations have tried to add incentives for people to have more children. Trip dot Com has tried to help with the situation. Specifically, according to that same CNBC article, trip dot com is one Chinese company that takes pride in trying to encourage more women to have children. In an organization where more than half of its thirty thousand employees are women, the online travel agency came up with its own solution to encourage women in the company to have more children, and a part of that instead of is offering subsidies to help with the cost of freezing eggs, which actually kind of smart to me, Yeah, because they do talk about the fact that that time frame that women specifically use to get their career and all that stabilized is that, you know, I guess the critical time, but it's a short time, so they can actually help them pause that process. Maybe that will increase in the likelihood that they will have children later on. They were talking about this and they helped by giving this money, which ranges from fifteen thousand dollars to three hundred thousand dollars. Again, kind of a smart idea. I might have done that, to be honest, not now with the IVF stuff in the US. No, but you know, like this is like to me, it's one of the smart plans.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw a flyer once at my university. I was like, we'll pay you this much money to freeze your eggs. And I thought about it, but then I was like, why I.
Speaker 2: Had people who said they want my eggs.
Speaker 1: Oh, they would pay you for your eggs?
Speaker 2: Really, you know, you know you didn't get those the only.
Speaker 1: One I mean, I saw a flyer. I don't recall an.
Speaker 2: I got an email like okay, okay, Like I was like what and I thought about it for a split seconds, not gonna lie, like, but they wanted white babies, so didn't help.
Speaker 1: Well, the government has tried a few tactics as well. Going back to China. According to Time Quote, Chinese government also tried to introduce new policies to encourage couples to have more children, enhance childcare, and improve housing facilities for families with children. Recently, some academics have even proposed taxing couples for having too few children while making access to abortion and divorce harder. M and yeah pay attention to that last part, limiting access to divorce and abortions right.
Speaker 2: So. The Japanese birth rate has also been greatly declining, very similar to South Korea. Many have chosen not to have children due to the inequality and gender rights and opportunities, as well as the overall financial burden of having a family.
Speaker 1: According to financialpolicy dot com quote, today Japanese women on average have just one point twenty six children, far below the rate of two point one children per woman, considered by demographers as necessary to maintain a stable population. Up to forty percent of adult Japanese women and fifty percent of men will not have children in their lifetime according to government estimates.
Speaker 2: And again, much like South Korea, a lot of the reasons boiled down to the cost of living, cost of education for children, and according to the same foreign policy dot Com article, the cost for childcare alone in Japan for two children is about half the earnings of a couple who have full time incomes, and the wages have barely been raised in the past thirty years, so significant amount. And just the overall lack of interest in being married, although that could also have something to do with the affordability. So here's another quote from Foreign policy dot Com. It's not just the desire to have children that's diminished. Surveys point to waning interest in relationships and sex, especially among young people. For Haruku Sakamato, a researcher at the Department of Global Health Policies at the University of Tokyo, this too is an economic story. Young people, she explained, simply do not earn enough to plan for the long term, making stable relationships seem far fetched. She says, while in the past people have explained Japan's low sex and relationship culture as steaming from interest in anime and fictional characters that supplant interest in real life relationships, is actually an economic issue. I just really like that they blame the anime on this. So and the article continues. Michika uit A Balmer, a political scientist at Syracuse University in the US who studies social isolation among Japanese youth, said, many young Japanese women would like to get buried, but they simply cannot afford it. Survey data shows that young people don't have the financial stability necessarity build themselves as a viable partner. The result is that people don't get married. And because Japan has the lowest rate of children born outside of marriage among developed countries, this also means they are unlikely to have children. So in twenty thirteen, they had what was considered women nomics policies, which quote promised to integrate women into the workforce and propel them to hire paying jobs. But the policy hasn't solved women's economic problems. So, like many other nations, women were not only responsible for the house, home, and children, but they also took on the financial responsibility abortion as well.
Speaker 1: Here's another quote in the Age of Women Nomics, Japanese women are caught in a double bind. High living costs mean they are no longer expected to stop working once they have children, Yet because they still bear the brunt of domestic work. Even Japan's generous parental leap benefits, which few men choose to take, are not enough to insulate women from the pressure to drop out of the labor force after having children. Even highly educated women who leave the labor force after having children struggle to eventually reintegrate back into it. Some fear that in case of divorce they'll be unable to stay afloat financially, in part because of the stark gender pay gap.
Speaker 2: So the Japanese government has followed suit with many of the East Asian countries. Late twenty twenty three, the Prime Minister announced and estimated twenty two billion dollars to childcare spending in order to help the birth rate, and he plans to increase subsidized housing for families with children and flexible work hours. Of course, as we've seen, money may not be the answer to all the problems. But hey, I guess he's trying, I will say, and we're going to talk about this in the sec better than what the US is doing.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: And though we just used again these three countries for the examples, the steady decline of birthrate has been seen throughout the world. Taiwan has spent over three billion dollars trying to encourage people to have more children, including more parental leave and large increases in salary and in fact, one presidential candidate offered a free bet if they have a child. I'm not gonna lie. That could have worked on me too.
Speaker 1: Then you have to pay for the pet.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I don't know that he added money to that, but I was like, well, that's an interesting time.
Speaker 1: I've got to pay for the kid in the pet. And according to the Vox article titles, you can't even pay people to have more kids quote. Other countries have tried direct payments to parents. Russia began offering a one time some of about seven thousand dollars to families with more than two kids, while Italy and Greece have experimented with per child baby bonuses. In twenty nineteen, Hungary introduced a loan of about thirty thousand dollars to newlyweds if they have three children, the loan is forgiven.
Speaker 2: I actually saw something. I think it's Sweden. Y'all correct me if I'm wrong that literally are trying to bring people in with children, Oh wow, twoth and they'll they'll give you and then you have to live there for ten years and they'll give you money and incentives.
Speaker 1: I had a friend that moved to Sweden. I should to ask her, what's okay?
Speaker 2: I think Sweden. It's one of the s European countries. So y'all tell me Switzerland, Sweden?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And yes, again, declining birthrate includes the US, so we said this earlier. The US, the birth rate of the population is declining. Here's a quote from that same Fox article, which is mentioned in the US, the birthrate has been falling since the Great Recession, dropping almost twenty three percent between twenty seven and twenty twenty two. Today, the average American woman has about one point six children, down down from three in nineteen fifty and significantly below the replacement rate of two point one children needed to sustain a stable population.
Speaker 1: And as we mentioned previously, many people have decided to wait to have children. And though the birth rate has declined overall, the birth rate for people thirty five to thirty nine has actually increased. According to Census dot Gov. In the thirty year period, it has increased by sixty seven percent. Here's a bit from cnn dot Com from the article titled fertility rates dip People are having babies later the stage of birth rates in the US. Quote. Birth rates have declined in most states across the US in recent years, while women are having babies at an older age. According to new data released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and it continues, birth rates among women in their late thirties and early forties rose in the last decade, and the birth rate among women over forty five also exceeded one birth per one thousand population for the first time in more than a decade. Meanwhile, the teen birth rate dropped to a record blow. In twenty twenty two, there were thirteen point five burths for every one thy teens ages fifteen to nineteen, down from thirteen point nine in twenty twenty one. According to the new CDC data.
Speaker 2: Thirteen then, yeah, those numbers are so high, and I feel like they are purposeful, especially now. And though there was a small increase during the initial pandemic and lockdown, nothing shows any actual signs of the race on the on the incline. Here's a quote from the scene an article. Despite the short term plunge and comeback during the early years of the COVID pandemic, the race have been consistently trending down. Nearly three point seven million babies were born in twenty twenty two. According to the CDC analysis of birth certificates, the overall fertility rate was fifty six point one births per one thousand women ages fifteen to four twenty four, holding relatively steady from the rate of fifty six point three in twenty twenty one. After a sharp drop in twenty twenty, birth rates rose in twenty twenty one, the first increase since twenty fourteen, but the numbers still reflect the declines that began before the pandemic. Okay, of course, unlike the other countries, US hasn't been publicly talking about the population decline or even talking about policy changes directly related to having more children, such as giving money to parents directly helping childcare costs, or the such. Although they did alter some tax deductions for children, they made higher tax deductions and gave a little more incentive, but I definitely did not seem as it was about population control or population increase. But much like how we mentioned, China has been doing more restricted when it comes to abortion access and divorce. The US has implemented the same practices, but using alternative languages for it. So during campaign runs for the Republican Party, a couple of significant figures may have said the quiet part out loud. In twenty twenty three, Nebraska Republican state senator used an old racist theory to argue for the ban on abortion. According to New republic dot com quote, Senator Steve Erdman decided that the best argument in favor of the ban was quote the Great Replacement theory, which the Southern Poverty Law Center defines as quote racist conspiracy narrative that falsely asserts there's an active, ongoing and covert effort to replace white populations in current white majority countries. Our state populations have not grown except by those foreigners who've moved here or refugees who've been placed here, Erman told the chamber, and it continues. Erman also says that all of the aborted fetuses could be working and filling some of those positions that we have vacancies in response to jobs.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So before we continue, so here's a look about the Here's a quick look at the Great Replacement theory from a PREBIS article simply put the conspiracy theory says there's a plot to diminish the influence of white people. Believers say this goal is being achieved both through the immigration of non white people into societies that have largely been dominated by white people, as well as through simple demographics, with white people having lower birth rates than other populations.
Speaker 1: And how does all of that equal to combating of the declining birth rate. Here's some more from Senator Erdmann. According to Vice dot com, our state population has not grown except by those foreigners who have moved. Here are refugees who have been placed here. Why is that? It's because we've killed two hundred thousand people. These are people we've killed. Erdmann said during debate after lamenting that if abortion had been illegal, that would have resulted to more people who could be working and feeling some of those positions that we have vacancy.
Speaker 2: And he's not the only one to say these things out loud. Seapack Republican leader also made a point to use the same rhetoric. He said, if you say there's a population problem in the country, but you're killing millions of your own people through legalize the abortion every year, if that were to produce some of that problem is solved. A Schlap said, you have millions of people who can take many of these jobs. How come no one brings that up. If you're worried about this quote unquote replacement, why don't we start there, start with allowing our own people to live. And again he's not the only one. The Ohio representative says something similar as well. This narrative has been around for a very long time. As in fact, it's actually been around also targeting the Jewish community as well. But this has been a constant rhetoric. And if you want to talk about our episod so is when it comes to tradwives, our episodes, when it comes to the Red Pill, our episodes, when it comes to religious trauma. They're all linked in this same conversation with this white supremacist rhetoric that we have to bring more white people in to bring in power, that they've lost power, so therefore they need to have babies, and that abortion ban is the key. Unfortunately, these tactics have worked enough to sway what is happening within the US, but politics alone is not what is controlling this narrative. So are the corporations. The economic threat of a population's decline has become clear to many experts around the world, but not all corporations have come to this same understanding at this point. Like we said, Trip dot Com and Japan has kind of figured it out. They're like, Okay, we need to help with this. There's other companies that have been adding to that. We know some of the companies here in the US, and usually the smaller companies that'll been like, we'll give you a longer, maternitically better MATERI we have free childcare here. But not everybody Amazon Prime example, could care less.
Speaker 1: It was an accidental fun I.
Speaker 2: Didn't even know. A lot of the corporations are seeking to strip even more rights from their employees, many encouraging discrimination for those who become pregnant, and in fact, recently federal courts ruled that the Quote Pregnancy Workfairness Act was unenforceable against the state government and it's in its agency which This act protects accommodations for pregnant employees in the workplace and allows workers to sue employers for failing to do so. It prohibited employers from denying employment opportunities or forcing pregnant workers to go on leave if alternative accommodations were possible. And this is from the Texas Tribune dot org, which is where all of this was coming out from. So that is significant to know that that was on a federal appeal. And it's very scary because not only are we being told you have to be pregnant if you were to conceive, if you were to get pregnant, do you have to remain pregnant and go and give birth, but that you have no rights and they're not going to help you. We've talked there are several articles that we talked about within the great Replacement theory, and these senators who literally kept saying, oh, social Security will help, which we know is dwind linked very quickly and it is pretty much non existent for any of us who want to retire at this point. I believe the boomers are the last to be able to really get anything from the Social Security Administration. There's so much that we have to look at when we talk about this, because there it goes hand in hand when we talk about the declining of birth birth rates, and as we're again we're looking at other countries. We're looking at European countries who have a little better incentives and that kind of are willing to pay a lot more and it's costly, as men will say, to make it better. There's many who won't do that here in the US, and in fact, again they're doing the opposite by kind of leaning towards China's policies, which is really funny and ironic right now to me, with trying to force a population boom, and it's working, and it's working, and that's what's scary. But again this seems to be have your cake and eat it to situation for both the politicians and corporations. And I will say some activists in the US have talked about similar tactics to those in other countries. I know there's like the sex strike. During one point that was in talks talking about not having children, talking about not getting married, talking about remaining single, which you know, I get it. But with what is happening, and as rights continue to be stripped, it will be likely that the decline will only continue because people are fed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have at least two friends who have pretty much said the shop is closed, like they're just and it breaks my heart because like, if you want to have sex, if you want to have kids. It shouldn't be, but they've been like, as long as this what is this is the situation, I'm not gonna do it, which feels very upset. It's very upsetting, but it also feels kind of funny because I don't think that's what they wanted the outcome to right of these things, but that's what I've heard from multiple people. It's like, Okay, right, cool.
Speaker 2: I will be interested to see what happens in the next couple of years, because we know that practancy is due to rape has increased, which is horrifying. But at the same time, I don't know if it's just me, but I have getting more and more disturbing pieces about children's deaths, some of them like literal. I've just watched one, I guess the crime thing where a mom was so flustered because she could not financially provide, she did not trust her for the children's father to take care of them and so gave them the best day and then unfortunately murdered them. I guess this is a side say, and that's not the only case I've seen. As of recently, I've seen more and more. I feel like this may honestly be a thing that we see because women are not seen. Again, we've talked about the fact that the abortion band is only going to kill women, but I don't think people can estimate the route of desperation that many people will have from these situations. Again, same thing with forced labor, force birth for those who have been molested and raped. Similar similar to that conversation of the desperation that you're not going to understand. I'm horrified, aby what's happening. But I don't think any of these tactics are going to push to an increase in birth the way they think it will now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so either. There's so much, like really fundamental systemic things that have to change. I believe for people to write.
Speaker 2: Again, hello, having childcare, having money to feed yourself, having money to have a bedroom for your child, those are all things that are dictating whether or not we want to have children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, seems pretty obvious, you would.
Speaker 2: Think, But I feel like twenty twenty three South Korea really like, oh, I guess we should talk to those who can give birth what.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should ask them?
Speaker 2: Maybe we should maybe we should ask them? And then we have literally gone backwards in the US on how to handle it again again, the pretenses we're saving lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: Well, well we have a lot of episodes about this. As you said, Samantha, it is related to a lot of other issues. This is another very intersectional thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Happy International Women's Day.
Speaker 1: Happy International Women's Day, Samantha.
Speaker 2: Good luck everybody of Gosh.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to spend it with you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be with you too, and I'm glad.
Speaker 1: For anyone who joined us on this day or any other day. If you have any thoughts about this, please let us know. You can email us at Stuffania mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast or on TikTok and Instagram at stuff I Never Told You. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books things. As always to our super producer Christina, are executive Bruce and Maya, and our contributor Joey, thank you and thanks to you for listening. Steffan Never Told You his production by iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you listen to your favorite shows,