Speaker 1: Women. It's Women's Month. I love powerful women that are unafraid to say, Hey, get off my neck, get out my space, move over here, you know I want my money. I love all those women that aren't afraid to speak about something that everyone's scared to step on. You know what I mean. I just I wish I had the boldness that they have. So I do what I can to support them. Retweet. When I see them, I say thank you and they say thank you for the music. So I'm doing something. It may not be what they're doing or.
Speaker 2: That's all doing something.
Speaker 1: We're doing something.
Speaker 2: Sit back, relax and welcome. Let us ee to Naked.
Speaker 3: It's the greatest suspose and entertainment can make you win.
Speaker 4: Cary Champion, the Cary Chappy is going.
Speaker 3: To be a champion. A champion. They care a chapion, the champion. They care with Champion and care with chat.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to a new edition of Naked. It is Women's History Month, and I just want to do a couple of things. I want to shout out a couple of women. Hey, you know what I want to shout out myself. I want to thank myself. Thank you, Nissie, Nash for reminding us that we should just thank ourselves. Life is is is one of these things that make you laugh, and it also can be, obviously for many people, really difficult. And I think oftentimes a conversation that me and my girlfriends have often is as a black woman, we don't feel seen or heard, and and depending on who you're talking to, if you're talking to someone who's not a black woman, they may roll their eyes. They're like, what does that mean? What does that mean? And it means that we could be doing the same job that our male counterpart is doing, or we could be doing the same exact work that our our white female counterpart is doing. But we we often don't feel acknowledged, and we often feel like our words fall on ears that are not listening right, They're just like death, No one wants to hear it. And I see all these wonderful women in certain spaces that have these these titles with their jobs. But I also know, as we celebrate Women's History Month, that these jobs and these big, these big titles that some people have like I'm the CEO of this or the CEO of that, Rarely do black women have those titles with the power. And what I mean is you give it to me because it looks good, but when I try to assert my power, I am not allowed to assert my power. There's an asterisk. Okay, you may be the cm O, the chief marketing officer for a company, but now you're doing something that is really out of your range and we can't trust you. So we're gonna let your other counterpart, your your white male counterpart, or your white female counterpart, have a little more power than you do. And it's unfortunate. So I just want to give a shout out to all women as we celebrate Women's History Month. But I want to give a special love, some special love to my sister's in a struggle. I see you, I know you, I feel you, even if I don't know you. But what I do know, if I'm being honest with you, the underlying feeling of I want more, I deserve more, I need to be acknowledged is real. And I encourage you not to give up. I encourage you to stay focused. I encourage you to get through it all, to focus on the good in life, if you will to focus on what's good. Because if I'm complaining, there's someone looking at me. Saying, you're complaining about the stuff you dreamed about. This was all a dream at one point, Carrie, So how the heck you complaining? And I understand, Like I said, it's tiring, but I encourage you all to focus on the good this month. The good that you've been able to do, the good that you've been able to accomplish, the good that is still yet to come. And that is real. And with that being said, I'm leading into our next guest because she is doing that with her latest album. She is focusing on the good. Can you imagine? Y'all know lettusy And if you don't, I don't know where you've been. And when I tell you to download her latest album, to listen to her past albums and play it in your house, play it in your car. Her music is healing. It makes you feel good about yourself. It makes you, even if it is a sad topic, you're still like I can get through. It's calming and we need calm in this day and age. Trust me, we really really do. And because it is Women's History Month, we are going to talk about what I believe is one of our great singers. She is not only a singer she's an actress. She's played the likes of a Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Mahelia Jackson in Selma. If you saw Selma. It takes someone with a crazy amount of fortitude to say I'm going to use my voice to recreate those grades glad as Night, Mahelia Jackson, Petty Label. Are you kidding me? You're not intimidating. That has to be for a singer to say I can do what they do well. She does it, and she does it well. She's also a professor at the Berkeley School of Music, and I'd like to call her an activist. She doesn't necessarily live necessarily in the political atmosphere, but she's an activist at her core, a musical activist, an activist for the culture, and activist for the people. She is a renaissance woman in every single way, and she is here today on Naked to talk about her journey and her latest album, Good Life. Everybody, sit back, relax, turn up the valume, and I know I already know what you're about to say. There's so many commercials. You can fast forward to those commercials so you can get right to this juice, this education, this Ted talk She's about to give us. Sit back, relax and welcome. Let usy to Naked.
Speaker 4: Champion and care with Chatpion and carried Chat.
Speaker 2: I normally just start with an origin story because what I'm really interested in When I meet people that are really talented, I'm always curious about how that talent was fostered. When did they know they have had that certain talent? And I'm reading your story and you come from a musical family, and I'm curious because you talked about this as a kid. You remember your mother singing and performing, And I want to know when you're seven or eight years old, because I usually think that's when we know we want to do something. Maybe take me back to when you were seven or eight years old as a child, growing up in a musical household, How did you know you had a talent? My mom was.
Speaker 1: Michael Jackson, right. She was the person that I cared about. Her opinion mattered to me most because I saw her do what I wanted to do. So when she approved it, then it felt good. And the other reason is I got more friends when I started to sing. I was like, oh, I can make friends. I can use this to make friends. So I knew my voice had a ring to it that would just ring out and make people change or do something nicer, it calm things. So that's when I knew I had something. What it was, I don't know. You don't know at seven or eight. You just know when you use whatever that bell is to make people calmer or nicer, or react or feel. Then I did. I knew I want to use this gift.
Speaker 2: So did your mother say to you when you were little, seeing what I singing? Hum? When do you just when do you start singing? When do you just say, uh oh, that sounds good? Because I thought, I, you know, that's a gift that everyone wants. Everyone wants to learn how to sing. You sing in the shower, I would love, And then I learnedquickly I was. There was no singing for me ever in my life. So when did you go that you, at such a young age had something special. Did you just start singing because you heard your mom sing? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the reason. My mom said, I just one day in the kitchen, because we sang a lot in the kitchen. Well, my mom did, I just in New Orleans, I just started singing reasons out the Blue. I knew the song. I didn't tell them I could sing. My mom is not the stage mom. She didn't force anything. She didn't say sing this sing back to me. We didn't do any of that. She just let it happen. And so naturally, one day I just started singing, and everybody looked and they didn't know that I could say what. I was like, you just sang Reasons by Earth when a Fire like Fillip Bailey and hitting all the notes on pitch because she is very particular. She's a quick cap record, so she's like, yeah, born on the first of January. Uh, she's real particular about every little thing. She said. You were on pitch, you real tiny, sitting in your seat and just wailing, and I was like, wow, those notes are I reason.
Speaker 2: To say the least, And you just started seeing it. She didn't even know you knew the song. And everyone stops in their tracks and they look at you, like, wow, this is special. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I became that family member where the baby get up and sing, get up and dance.
Speaker 2: For me, it was read the church program because you can read well, get on and do that. Big words I could even pronounce, So I understand that I think that is really special. I also I also know that you just said something. Your voice calms people. So when I play your music in my house, like on the speakers, my house feels warm, it filmed, it feels welcoming. It feels like I could leave it all day. I could clean, I could walk, I could talk, I could be on the phone, I could be I can do errands. Do you believe that's a God given gift?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there's no no afterthought about that is definitely not of my doing.
Speaker 2: Entirely.
Speaker 1: I am doing the work, but it comes from a special place because there are days I don't know how how I'm doing what I do. I had a friend come to my rehearsal, our final tour rehearsal. We've been best friends a long time, and he still goes, I don't know how you do. He studies music, he knows the voice, but he says, you're not You're an alien. They can do the things you do. And I say, well, I said, I don't feel like it. I'm working hard, and he like doing the same amount of work as everybody else. But he's like, no, but it looks so you look so relaxed when you do it. You look so calm. I said, no, there there's a fire alarm under my armpits.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like like I'm I'm nervous all the time, like interesting. I want to be like anybody else. I want to do a great job and kick but at what I do, it's like a workout. I give a lot. That's why at the end, I'm like, I don't know what else to give, But I just gave a whole bunch, you know what I mean. And I don't get the opportunity to do it small. Everything I do is with great intention, and I feel like I'm connected to another source. I call it God that comes and I honor all the spaces and people that came before me as well as myself and my parents, you know, legacy. So I have a point to prove, which is I belong here and I'm here to help with with using my craft. That's what the greats did. You know. Mahelia, when she spoke, she helped Martin. When she's sang, she helped the movement. When Marian Anderson, same thing. She was the first to do, make a create a moment for a movement. We all my kind of singers. That's what we do. We have the get. God only gives it to certain people to do that. So I know what I have. It took me a while to just go ahead and accept it because it comes with enormous amount of pressure to be a certain way. You know, you don't get off.
Speaker 2: Day When you say it took you a while to accept it, that is a radical acceptance of what you have. Why did it take you a while to accept it? Was there too much pressure associated with it? Or maybe you felt like you wanted you felt pressure to do something different, to have a different type of music, do you know music?
Speaker 1: None of that. It was more so people's perception of the box they want to keep you in. It was external. It's like when we love something, if only they would just stay here and do this because I love what they do here. A voice like mine belongs everywhere that I could possibly go. It doesn't belong in one space. But I do honor where I started. I honored the root and all that stuff. But I think I get nervous about titles. You know that those things bother me with my voice? What are the titles that make Oh you're only an RB singer. That's why I did let us see sings. Nina, You're not really a jazzing because you do R and B. But I do do jazz. I can scatch just like every instrument that I love, You know love. I started there. That's how I got made a living to pay bills, you know what I mean. Nobody wanted to hear me sing R and B and I'm a horrible background singer, so that didn't work for me. I try. But anyway that I don't know what else I'm talking about. I haven't eaten yet, but I'm here.
Speaker 2: That's okay me too. I'm starving, but I work better that way. Otherwise I get exactly, I get the itis advice, and I'm like girl that I'll be sleep during this. I think that what you said was really powerful. They want to put you as an R and B singer, but a voice that yours belongs in so many places because it's necessary, because it does have this healing, this calming, this happiness. And oftentimes I say this about comedians. Those who make us happy always usually are the ones that may suffer because it's torture. Do you do you ever deal with that? Like you can? Your music makes people so happy, but sometimes you're not happy like you could put You could put out album after album. I think you've been nominated. I think twelve times. I think twelve times for a grand.
Speaker 1: I think it's more, but I can't remember a time.
Speaker 2: I think it's fourteen. Yes, okay, I want to make sure I get that right.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. It's been a lot.
Speaker 2: It's been a lot, and that means you resonate with people. Do you find it hard to be the one that makes everyone smile in the room or feel good in the room.
Speaker 1: I don't feel I feel like I have songs that are chaotic. There's some dysfunctional tunes. If you what happens is it feels so good? Yeah, you're missing the message.
Speaker 2: On one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I feel I'm telling all the human experience. I'm not avoiding it. I don't have see what's funny is this album good life? I gotta talk about it because I didn't have I have the least amount of connection to it in a personal way. I actually felt like I had the fight was trying to be personal in it instead of just releasing that and writing as a songwriter, write about human experience, create a story like how I do when you're acting, get to create a story or a character that's going through something. And I had to do that in order to be involved in this project. Normally I put myself more in it. This time I couldn't.
Speaker 2: It was the only album that you've done that that particular approach is it's the only album you've done that with with Good.
Speaker 1: Life, majority of the biggest amount the wild Card. I did it a little bit. I started understanding what it means to be a songwriter interesting. I carried it over into this because it was hard to be We don't have anything interesting going on here. It's like our life is our life, and like regular people, you know, we're interesting about us moving.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to hear about that. It's kind of day to day. What you're gonna eat, what you're gonna cook. I'm with you. I was like, these are real problems. I don't know if you you know in California my leaks started leaking, my roof was leaking, Yeah, the rain. I was like, can someone give me a song about this?
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 2: That people want to hear about. What are we doing?
Speaker 1: You didn't have anything, so I was let me think about human experience and dysfunctional chaos. And you know, good life is to me about getting through. It's not it's the messy parts, it's the beautiful part, but it's how you got through it. How did you get through things? You know, we don't talk about that at.
Speaker 2: All and we're not transparent. But for me, music is has been revolutionary. It is an act of resistance. It is my advocacy. It gives me the words that I don't have when I I'm like, I feel that I feel what you said, but I didn't have the words for what you said.
Speaker 1: It's sad.
Speaker 4: It's sad.
Speaker 3: Every champion and carry champion is to be a champion, a champion and carry Chappion and carried chap beata champion and carried Chappion and carrie Chaps and entertainment can nack you weirder Kerry Champion and carry Chappion is to be a champion of champion and carry Chappion. Thet a champion and carry Chapion and carried Shepy. Entertainment can nacke word.
Speaker 2: I wonder is it difficult to make that transition to acting. You've made it seem seamless. Although lake Gladys Knight Mahelia Jackson, I understand that, pet Labell. I believe I was that difficult for you because it seems to me when you sing from your soul and then someone gives you words to say that they don't go together. Those two things just don't go together. To me, one seems more authentic and one seems more formed. But you are a performer, are you know? So is it difficult to transition?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 1: And when I was learning it on my own, but having an acting coach understands and then working with Billy Porter in theater that was an experienced life changing. He said, you're a singer and they don't teach you how to transfer that over into theater. He taught me some things. Chester Gregory and my acting coach taught me a lot of things. He said, what would you do do? What would let us see do? Would let us say it like that? He always says, good, can we have some realness? And that I want the let us see to do it? Now be the character? You know what I mean? How would let usy do it? That we want authenticity as natural and like you would do it? And that's how I think. I just add the extra components on top of it, and Billy was the same way, but they weren't taught that. They had to learn it because they're and also classes help understanding. It's like a song. The same way I sing it is the same way I would say it. Yeah, but as like a conversation like you and I. Do you like working with other actors? Ie?
Speaker 2: You do? Is there an actor that you work with that you're like this person I'm in awe of? Or is there an actor that you want to work with? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, I would love to. It's more of writers for me. I want to work with writers actors definitely. I still I'm still learning that world. But it's really writing that I love the most. The writing I get. I'm becoming a fan of even more how things are written. I would love to get lessons from Divine. She's incredible because I seeing her in different roles and has been amazing how she approaches her characters, meaning the little nuances she does, It's just beautiful. I love this lady named Kimberly Gregory. She's one of my favorites. She's not as popular as everybody, but she's she's just incredible.
Speaker 2: She's a writer and an actor.
Speaker 1: She can write, But she's a great actress.
Speaker 2: What is she on?
Speaker 1: Some stuff on the shy oh okay, she also did. I can't remember all her stuff right now, but she's incredible. She's like divine to me, one of the It takes a while for the greats to get seen, and it's Divine's time now. But she's been great long before everybody caught up.
Speaker 2: Did you read Viola Davis's book? No, not yet, And by read, I mean download an audio because I don't be reading like that. So I don't want you to. Like my really good friend who I think you know, Jamel Hill, she loves to tell me she's so easy. She's like my grandma. About to download this book and we can talk about it later. But Viola talks about the craft of acting in such a special way, and and and the Biker was arguably one of the best. That's why I was a New York Times bestseller. Just the poverty she came from and how she uses a lot of that trauma in what she does. How would you describe your your your your life? Has there been pain like personally that really you were able to create some great music because everyone got mad when Mary, when Mary J. Blige started to heal, we didn't get what we needed. We were like, Mary, how you gonna heal and not give us the music we need because we out here in the streets dealing with these trifling negroes. Money and we and we need it. Now you you all healed and rich and healthy. I guess we need that.
Speaker 1: You know what I don't. We don't need that. We want to you know, edge, You want the edge? I get it. My friends used to say back in the day, ooh you mad tonight. Oh it's gonna be a good show.
Speaker 2: Oh good, you got something to say. Oh I'm mad at him? Wait till I get out there.
Speaker 1: You know, I write it in such songs. My earlier work, I was more raw with it, but now I just I'm more poetic as I've gotten older, because I hold information for myself now and work out my trauma in different ways, you know.
Speaker 2: For yourself. You don't give it to us, No, don't give it to you, guys. I just do.
Speaker 1: I just try to. I don't think people want to hear all that. I mean, maybe they do podcasts now, but that's you know, certain things. I just work it out on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you and that was a season, as that was a season for Mary. Right, it's a season and it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it does make great music. I can't lie because all righte trauma, Okay, how I'm I pay these dang on bills? What am I gonna do? So it's like survival mode, you know what I mean, back in the day. So I get it and it does help because someone else is going through it, and I think that's why people relate to my music. But good Life on the song good Light, actual song, I was exhausted and you hear it. I say it. I throw out my hands, thank you for this life, blessings over me. I try to think positive about it. I don't know. I cry till there's no more tears. Like I'm saying, I'm done. I'm depleted. I don't know what else to do but surrender, so help make this work. I'm still grateful. I'm exhausted, you know. So I put those little things in the music and say the truth. And then on another song, I say about like we're not we always gaslight each other, and what way like we when we talk about relationships, I'm talking about in if you're going to be here, be here. If you're not, then move out the way. So I don't waste my time, you know, because you can't get time back all we have, so we want to use our time preciously and choose who we want there to enjoy our time with whomever. But there are people that come in and make it in the way. So be honest about it. And that's why I love getting older, because you could just say whatever you want to say, that's right, worry about the consequences, Like I just need to know so I can.
Speaker 2: Go and waste my time. I don't have it. I got life to live.
Speaker 1: So maybe I'm working it out that way.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I said. That's another way of it. It's the same, but it's just a much more mature, curated way of saying what you feel. But it also reflects where you're at. I think in your life too, Like what you've been through, You're like, I don't have to I don't have the time to cry, and who want to cry and fight? But you won't do that all the time. But it does give you, you know, that great music, but it can be it can manifest in different ways. Is there an artist that you would never work with again. But you wouldn't say their names? Have you ever?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, you see I didn't said it very casually like no big deal. There's a story behind this too, because.
Speaker 1: If I was as brave as you, I just cannot.
Speaker 2: You were like, you don't have to say a name, but you're like, yeah, no, I was working with I was working on this project. I'm like, I ain't fooling with him no more or her. I have that about people in my field, like as a journalist, I'm like, I don't feel like I respect what they do. They're the greatest.
Speaker 1: I've never I can say I have had a person's number and I've called over and over.
Speaker 2: Oh I hate that able to work with.
Speaker 1: Them and they and they are incredible in their own right, and I'll just keep calling to try to, you know, make it happen, and then they don't respond. But when you see them in person, oh, here's the same number, and hey call me here and you do the same cycle. That kind of stuff. Yeah, I've totally let go of all that kind of stuff. That's gaslighting.
Speaker 2: But that's also a compliment because to your talent and who you are, and they think, oh for sure, oh for sure, I don't know whether it is. It's almost like we should get together and then, or we should do this and we should do that. That's a compliment. I take it as a compliment when someone tells me you love that, that's a compliment. She's like, or he's like, or whomever is like. I don't know the person. They know what you are, and maybe perhaps they're shine could bring more shine to you, or perhaps you're shine would out shine them. But whatever it is, that is, you're not thinking that way. You just want to do. You want to do art, you want to but for that to like you, it's a calculated thing, you know what I mean. Like you can't keep coming to me saying let's work together and then or I keep coming you say on this work together, or call you and ignore me. Then when every time you see me and stop it don't be that way.
Speaker 1: So well, now I just avoid the dialogue.
Speaker 2: And like it's not even time. Okay. I appreciate that. I love you for that because there's just no need. I ain't fooling with you.
Speaker 1: I don't have time.
Speaker 2: Forday, Yeah, last night you talked about writers last night. When this podcast there on Monday, it will be Thursday night. Thursday night, Lisa Ray had a party call Where the Black People At? This is why you love her because the party is called where are the Black People At? And it was just a it was a casual thing, right, tons of people show up. I see this man that I've had a crush on forever. He's a writer. I have a crush on him forever. To your point, like we all we DM we exchange, we'd be dming be exchanging. He'd be hardened, I'd be heartened. See this full in person. And he's like what, I what? And I was like, see now, I don't like you. He's trying to pretend like he doesn't remember any of our exchanges. And I was like, I was about to upgrade your life. It is over. You are a real Hollywood. I don't respect that. I want you to be who you are, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every time, every time.
Speaker 2: Because we're too old for that. You're too old for that. What're too old for that? To your point, and I just just like I get it, so I know what you're feeling in this. In case it was he's just whatever. But I don't know why I told you that story.
Speaker 1: No, but I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: You were like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: I was like, it was agreeing that I forgot I downgrade. I'll come back to that. Oh, it was the writing of it all. But he's still an amazing writer. And you say you're interested in working with amazing writers. Is there some movie that you've seen this Award season where you felt like the writing was phenomenal? I want to work with this.
Speaker 1: American Fiction was incredible written. I love that.
Speaker 2: Why did you like American fiction? What did he give you? I saw it too. I love it.
Speaker 1: But I like the comedy. I like the comedy. I like the honesty of it. I like the ending a lot, and I love the actors, the delivery of it. You can tell where it's some of it is just more natural. You can tell the writer made space for them to play. And the Erica is everything. I love seeing Erica in this. It was different because she did she had moments that weren't funny that I liked. I hadn't seen that part of her in a long time, so I had I agree. I love that they made her a girlfriend. I love that she was sexy and all the things. I was like, I want.
Speaker 2: More of that. For us. Do you think that you will? And of course you will, but I know that a lot of the roles where people I've seen you, you've played other actresses. You you've played other singers. Would you want to do something that's a crazy departure? What is a what would be a crazy departure for you?
Speaker 1: I would love to play someone completely dysfunctional and mean and uh and comedy. I would love like someone whose loud mouth, that auntie that come in the room and cut up. I would love to play that that you're like, say that, like that. I would love to be that. Anything that has to do with being boisterous love I love that and unexpected.
Speaker 2: Are you the opposite of that in your life?
Speaker 1: Am I the opposite? And I'm that way with my band? I cut up with my band, Yeah, but not in front of a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm from nos We classy, yeah.
Speaker 2: I Do you consider yourself an introvert around other people? Are you shy when you're in a different room.
Speaker 1: Sometime until you get to know me. But I'm a little bit of both. I've had I had to become a little bit of both because you can't just sit in the corner and watch people. He had to get out there and talk to folks. So I do that a lot a lot more better. I think the twenty twenty taught me how to be more sociable, okay, out like wow to my audience, and because you couldn't reach them any other way, so I had to be on the internet. That The Internet is what scares me the most, like this zooming stuff. That's just not my thing. But I do it anyway and try to personality in the box, you know what I mean. But I'm a laugher. I love laughing loud. I love hanging out. I'm that that part of the Everybody loves seeing that. And I cussed a little bit, you know what I mean. People love seeing that. I posted this little clip of me cussing in the studio. Everybody's like, oh, I'm grown, I cuss, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like it happened loud. I still love the Lord.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, I'm I'm still one. But I cut up a little bit, and that's my thing. And people are shocked when I say yeah, I can sing, They're like really, yeah, it's not being arrogant, it's just saying that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I'm a who call me to do. I'm singing with an a I can sing, you can, you don't sing, you can do all of that stuffs.
Speaker 1: And then teaching is fun too. I love when teaching. I'm direct with teaching too. I don't mess around.
Speaker 2: With that stuff. What do you mean when you teach other people to sing?
Speaker 1: When I teach, I teach at Berkeley College of Music, right, I teach it with the the Jazz and Gender Justice, which is a program out of Berkeley College of Music that Terry Lane Carrington founded. A Grammy Award winning professor. She's incredible to musician. She likes to make sure there's diversity with women in musicianship and uh in music spaces, behind the scenes, in front and whatever. But she's the one that helped me become a professor there. And we teach Africana studies, We teach masterclasses with singing. We teach about legends you know that came before me, and all the things. I feel that singers need to learn how to perform and own their space in the world and not feel timid about it. Just be unapologetic and stand in your space and go. You know what I mean? This is who I am. Eric comes and because everybody thinks per they're imperfections, they're all That's the first thing they focus on this era because the because of social media, like you can't be you got to be perfect. It's like, no, your imperfections make you who you are, so just be that. Well, my other teacher said I shouldn't sing here. I said, why not this part of your voice? Use it for something else, Move it out the way it maybe it doesn't work for this style of music, but save it for something else. I use every part of my voice and they're shocked, you know, but that's those are the kind I'm the rebellious one. I'm very rebel like I just I don't follow the rules that great. But people don't know that about me because you're not hanging out with me. You don't see how I teach or move. You just see this record, you know what I mean. And I'm not always online to show that part and whether it's intentional or not intentional, because I don't think you have to put everything on social media. I don't think everything that you have is met for social media, although society today will tell you that, but I've always thought that music was the biggest for our culture, for black folks, especially one of the biggest ways in which we advocate for ourselves and tell people how to fight the justice. And I'm black and I'm proud, you know what I mean? Do you consider yourself an advocate? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: In what way?
Speaker 1: In wellness? In balance? That chaos is real, messy is real. I advocate. You don't know that I advocate. My closest friends know, men, musician friends know. They see me behind the scenes advocating. I don't show that part of me. I'm like, I guess how they said Prince was where he does stuff and they just now finding out about it. I'm one of those kind of people like I don't have to brag about my advocacy. I was shocked. I did an interview if someone found out about it, you know what I mean, and they're like, I was like, oh, we're talking about that. I didn't know. You know, I have a care for musicians' rights, and I advocate for you know, with recording academy for the youth and making sure there's balance between the old school and new school, making sure everybody is seen and heard, not just being relevant all the time. Sometimes it's not about that. It's about the quality of the work. Well, for me, it's always about that and preserving history. I love history and people and I don't know. I just think I'm an advocate in my own way, kind of like how Mahela was her money where she needed to. She sang the songs to unite people. Same thing. Bob Marley did, same thing, Marion did, same thing. So many others have done to unite people, or to ignite people, or to make people think about how they feel about things, or say the things they can't say. And I have to remind some of the elders, look, they is wild out here. We need to talk about those things. Nothing's wrong with it is here. So let's let them talk about it. Or I'll say it, but I'll say it in a different way than the other person will, but it needs to be said, you know. And they're like, well that's too this. I said. I love it. We need all of us, all of the things out there, to find out what it is and see, you know, is it hurting us or is it not. That's why I love. I just love what I do. I add a space of safety. I'm not judging you be who you are. Do what you do, but don't but remember there's a root to you too. What's your history, what's your legacy? What are you leaving behind? What will that say about your line of family members? I still trust and love that part of us, So I'm holding on to it, and so and a lot of other people are. But I don't judge. That's not my theme.
Speaker 4: Every champion and carry champions. To be a champion, a champion and.
Speaker 3: Carry champion and carry chap y'ata champion and carry chapion and carry champion entertainment?
Speaker 4: Can naked weird look very champion and carry champions?
Speaker 3: To be a champion, A champion and carry champion niggery yt a champion.
Speaker 4: And carry champion and carry chappi entertainment?
Speaker 2: Can I get work as an activist? Do you would you if you had a title? People love titles. You don't have to have one. But would you call yourself a musical activist, a political activist, an activist in general? Do you live in all of these spaces? I did a quick and this is quick when I tell you, it wasn't deep, but it's a quick, little deep dive. I and I noticed that you follow so many of my really good girlfriends, and they are about fight the power to the p O W E R and I, And I thought to myself, what this is of interest? This is? This is? This is she cares, she sees you know, the distance from where we were and where we need to go. Women.
Speaker 1: Its Women's Month. I love powerful women that are unafraid to say, hey, get off my neck, get out my space, move over here, you know I want my money. I love I love all those women that aren't afraid to speak about out something that everyone's scared to step on.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I just I wish I had the boldness that they have. So I do what I can to support them retweet. When I see them, I say thank you and they say thank you for the music. So I'm doing something. It may not be what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Or that's all doing something.
Speaker 1: We're doing something. So when they're there, I support and I say it out loud so they see my face in my eyes. I love you, thank you. And there are days I've needed them. I mean on the other side of the screen. Yes, girls say it please, because it's like, is anybody else gonna say that this woman is hurt? This woman has been wronged. Is anyone to stand up for this woman like we do when it's the black man? Are we gonna help black? I black women. I love black women. I love our are just we don't know beings.
Speaker 2: We are the moral conscience of this whole damn country. We have their children, we have raised them, we have stood by our man, and still no one is speaking for us if we don't speak for ourselves. And it is so frustrating. So when you say that, and yes, it is Women's History Month, but when I talk about the special sauce that we bring to everything that we do, your music, which is here, you know, I'm just like we do it like none other. And with that, I just think to myself, Okay, I see what she's saying. I feel what you feel, and you are necessary and you're important. And I will say this just as a fan. If you don't feel that, know that there are so many of us who are thinking that, who have said that, and who are sending you that energy.
Speaker 1: I've promised you. I feel it all the time, even when I just a phone call, but little texts means everything to me. There I don't feel the heavy anymore. I just remind people the heavy was there, keep going like a little post here and there. But my black circle of women, the black women around me, they don't play.
Speaker 2: They cut girl.
Speaker 1: They tell you the truth. Hey, true blah blah blah. You know, I just got off the phone before we talked with Queen Anita Baker. She's so proud of me. She had to call. I said, you don't have to call. She's like, no, No, I need you to know. Listen, I need you to know. I'm so proud of you. You're doing your work. You're doing the real work. People are healing people. You're healing, and you're saying the things that need to be said. You know, somebody needs this today. Is everything coming from her because her music.
Speaker 2: Man, you know, I ain't even got this step cleaning up the house on a Saturday. Mama, sweep this carpet because you can't. You might vacuum a penny, so you can't use the vacuum. So I had to say, oh, you had to sweep and tell me Anita got me through. And then you didn't do it right, you didn't get the corners. I I feel it that, I feel it. No, And there's just something special about the black woman who understands that it's so great your your latest album. Congratulations, you deserve, you deserve, you deserve. And that has been my mantra for all my favorite for all my black women, period, not all.
Speaker 1: My I'm gonna say that to you now, now rap out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah you deserve. What do you want when people go out and buy this album or listen to this album? What do you want them to to take away? If you had, If you had a message.
Speaker 1: It's about getting through it, just through, feel good and find the good in every moment of it. Good life even when it's chaotic. What what is good about this though? What if I learned? What can I do better and get through it? The message parts, the beautiful parts and yourself? Love yourself, love yourself better than I have a husband. I love him, he loves me great. But I gotta love me, you know. I gotta like or are you soul? You know what I mean? I gotta be constantly loving on myself and giving myself time so that I want for anybody, male, female, whatever, love yourself as you let us.
Speaker 2: See, we love you as you are. We're letting you go. Thank you for being so patient and being so kind with us today. We will obviously meet again. I feel like I manifest this. I'm gonna bump into you somewhere and just roll up on you and don't be absolutely surprised. I'd be loved.
Speaker 1: How comfortable I am done, did better.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like that. It's gonna be a reunion. I think there's gonna be a family.
Speaker 1: Glad I got to meet you.
Speaker 2: I am too. I appreciate you. You are so fun. You are a blessing. Thank you so much for coming on naked. You were beautiful and naked, So thank.
Speaker 1: You, Thank you so much much.
Speaker 2: You guys, She's a key key. I may have edited some of that stuff out, but she is a key key. Like, we had a really good time and I enjoyed her. She is a real, real, real woman. What a refreshing thought to have, right, Like, have you ever met someone and you walk away feeling, Oh, they're authentic, They're genuine. And in this world, it's so rare because we often feel like we need to perform, and we do right. We do need to perform a little in our jobs. We do need to perform a little bit in our lifestyles. We do need to perform a little bit on social media. That is the name of the game. You don't have to play it to a certain extent, but there is some part of that that comes with the job. Nowadays, you can't just sit at home and mind your business. Does dagg Internet made it difficult. But it is her eleventh album. It is out today and I need as in listen to it right now, go buy it today as you hear this podcast today and support what she's doing. She's an independent artist. She has freedom, but with that freedom comes more responsibilities. You heard her talk about being an activist for other artists. She's talking about legacy and what it means when people talk about legacy. It's important to know where you've come from and what you're leaving behind, and she does. She does know that she has given credit to Nina Simone has a huge influence on her life. If you're not familiar with Nina Simone, get your education again. Legacy because everything that's happening in our world today with art, with music, with people that you might know and love, there was someone who influenced them, who was doing it exactly the way that they are doing it. Just with the new bound Twist of Today. Legacy is important and I appreciate. Let us see for being here on Naked Today again. Go out and support this system. We're wrapping it up. I'll be back next week again. Tell some woman you love her. Is Women's History Monk. Give somebody a shout out. Cash at somebody, cash at me, celebrate us, cash out the Naked crew. I'll defend it. I'll send it out to the women that are on is Women's History Month, but we do it. Give us a dollar, a Starbucks card. You know what I mean. You get what I'm saying. Have a great day. Talk to y'all soon.