Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make an a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Master Class. I'm your host, Rashan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your HM, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep winning. This is ru Sean McDonald hosts this weekly Money Making Conversation master Class show. Always the interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guess is a former Miss Michigan and the former Miss uncl She's a proud graduate the Cloke at Landing Versity, member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, and the UNCF director for the Empowerment Me Tour for the last ten years. Please work with the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, Stacey Spratt, How are you doing? Stacey?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Stacey? Did I miss any thing? Because you has a powerful credits thegger you there's some upper level credits there, upper level.
Speaker 3: I think you hit everything. I think you hit it all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell I'm trying to figure out how you didn't become you know, like Everan he had the you know, the homecoming queen and why they ain't in this resume? You got everything else? How you at Clarktland University? How you missed out on being miss Homecoming Queen?
Speaker 3: Listen, I was on the Royal Court of the homecome part of the homecoming activities, and I was first attended in Miss Clark at Land University.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I know you. I know you had to be closed. I know you have to be closed. You don't go for Miss Michigan. You got too many missmissus in your name, you know, before you get to your name.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love it how they quite win, but I was I was there.
Speaker 1: I know you were down there looking around at Delta two because you had Delta votes. You had everything, Yeah, you had everything working for you.
Speaker 3: Listen had the Delta vote and listen. Still was first runner up, So listen, it's all good, all good, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming where were you born and raised? I'm seeing miss Michigan. Are you? Are you from that area?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something. I was born in Toledo, Ohio, my way. Then I lived in Saginaw, Michigan. Then from Saginaw, I moved to Jackson, Mississippi. Then I lived in Cleveland, Ohio, where I graduated high school. And then I went to Clark Atlanta University in Georgia Tech, and I moved back to Michigan. And that's how I became Miss Michigan, USA.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you know we need a lot of compases. You know, back in the day, Triple A had that little map, that little that little trip tick. You just started flipping and flipping and flipping. I ran out of pages on you, girl, I ran out of pages on you.
Speaker 3: That was me lived everywhere.
Speaker 1: Now, now let me ask you this was it a military? It just it cause you to move all those different locations or what what made you move up? Make all those move My.
Speaker 3: My father he you know, a great man, and did some great things with General motors, and he moved all around, So we moved from place to place to place. Everyone always asked me, was the military, and no, it was it was my father.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good thing, you know, like you said, two things came out your father and you used the other word right after a great man, and the other word out there that he was working. So all the good things that that a lot of black men get, you know, Oh that that doesn't happen, you know, we don't. They don't do that. We get negative about and not taking care of being responsible. You were saying, hey, my father's right there. We moved because my dad and.
Speaker 3: Still right there. Actually my dad and my mother. That's right to get Okay.
Speaker 1: So now how did you get to Clark Atlanta University?
Speaker 3: Oh goodness? So both my parents went to Clark College. Okay. So I have been going to Clark College homecoming since I can remember, and I always wanted to go to Clark Atland University. So I played high school basketball and got a full scholarship to Clarke Attlanta to play basketball. So it was my dream school. And both my brothers, who are older, one went to Howard and the other one went to more House. So we're an HBCU family.
Speaker 1: Sure, both your parents, right, and then your two brothers, and you did did they did they say anything about a predominantly white institution house.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, listen, I went to Georgia Tech also program They told me I could go anywhere I wanted to go. You know, it's listen. But if it was free, that's really where you're going. The ball scholarship you get for the free free.
Speaker 1: Gratulations, yes, because lord knows, I didn't have a scholarship. I was just I was hustling, working part time. I was just trying to stay in school. And fortunately when I finished college, I didn't have a student loan. So life was.
Speaker 3: Blessed, bomb great because the cost of college right now is just astronomy astronomical.
Speaker 1: Then, when when you say about HBCUs, we're going to get to your where I got you on the show because I got you here from. But I was like the it's a personality interview. I do because I wanted let everybody to know that, you know, we all started different places. You know you My first caller came from a small city right outside of Birmingham, Alabama, and rose to be a chief information officer at FedEx. Okay, you your parents took you all over this country and then they were they were Clark Clark College gradually before it became Clark Atlanta University and when they merged the two schools. And that's what. What are the blessings of going to an ah you ooh, let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: The blessings of going to an HBCUs it's seeing people that look like you. It's being in a classroom setting, and this is my experience. It's being in a classroom setting where teachers pull your coattails and pull you to the side and say, hey, you know, I know you can do a little bit better. It's it's a place where you're able to see different cultures of blackness, you know what I mean. It's a place where you come together for homecoming, you know, with your brothers and your sisters. You know, Greek life is your brothers and your sisters. It doesn't matter what sorority or fraternity you're in. When you come together, it is just like you love on each other. So there's nothing like attending an HBCU. And these are your forever friends, These are for your ever partners in crime. These are your forever people that you could potentially do business with. I mean, it's great when you have business ideas that you can go go and think about, dang, who did I go to school with that could help me through this or help me do this. That's what an HBCU is for me and my experience at Clark Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Now you are tied to UNCF, which is a United Negro College Fund.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 1: What is the role of the UNCF.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you know the UNCF we're celebrating eighty years okay of providing educational support for students. You know, whether these students attend HBCUs or they attend majority institutions, it's about providing an educational support for those students and people that can't, you know, fund their educational process. So it's not just about getting students to college. We really strive to get students through college and providing educational support.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really important that we talk about this educational support. When you look at the academic excellence that comes out of HBCU's always rattle off the numbers. You know, forty percent members of Congress who are black or from HBCU, seventy five percent of the dennists and medical doctors from HBCUs. Fifty percent of the Black school teachers are from HBCUs, thirty percent of the STEM graduates are from HBCUs. You know, this is the bam bam bam, bam bam that when you get out of HBCUs, but yet instill today. You know, you have these little advocacy groups of negativity I call them. You know, they're they're striking down diversity, equity, inclusion, and they turning right around and turning their eyes right at HBCUs. Why is that happening? And do you have any comments on that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think what's important for us to truly know and understand is is, you know, historically black colleges and universities are historically black. We're not exclusively black, so you know, we were brought about during a time where black and brown people could not attend certain institutions. So we were created not in exclusivity, you know, So I think we just have to, you know, they have to remember that. You know, we don't exclude anyone, just like within our scholarships, you know, anyone can apply to UNCF scholarships. It doesn't say marqu here, you know, you know, it just depends on what type of scholarship it is. It depends on you know, what the need is. So I just think it's just important that our HBC, you graduates continue to support our HBCUs, not just you know, attending homecoming, but giving up your time and your finances to your HBC.
Speaker 1: And that's important. And that's why I, you know, I'll be honest with you. I graduated from a university Houston, our most powerful advocate of HBCUs because I feel, you know, God gave me a talent to market and brand and elevate and I felt that a gift like mine needs to be in this lane to be able to push and be able to talk. And it's been a blessing for me personally because of the fact that, you know, my whole company is tied to uplift motivation, you know, a creature of change, a creator of excellence. And when I look at HBCUs and I bring a guest like you on the show who attended one know you have an advocate and this whole show is built around black excellence. And because I cannot and I despise how people use false narrative, especially when you're talking about diversity, equity inclusion, which impacts white women because white women are minorities. Not people don't know that minority, that minority word ain't just black people no more. You know, they changed the people of color and everything, but they but they always insinuate it's only for black people. You know what I'm saying. That's the part that annoys me. It's like when George Floyd, unfortunately was murdered. You know, there was a huge positive groundswell for donations and hbcusers riding high. That am I correct and making that statement?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they were. I mean I think HBCUs have been, you know, riding high. I mean even during COVID. You know there there have been so many supporters, to be honest with you, that have given money and funding for scholarships, you know, to u NCF so to educate our black and brown people. I think right now, you know, you know, it's just I agree with you in a sense, but I also agree that we've been riding high like these pasts years, even you know, through COVID, to continue to stand and to continue to support our students.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Let me let me say that correctly, because I don't wanted to manage any level of excellent academic attendance doing that. George Floyd All, there was a tremendous amount of donations made to HBCUs, led by led by former uh the wife of former uh ex wife of Jeff Beis his wife.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, that's right, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: And and so and and and then all of a sudden, you know, we started seeing a shift of donations, people people wondering why we got idea of And then that's when the narrative of down in Florida with the Santos was talking about not funding any school who recognized like Florida just dropped their program, and it was looking at HBCUs like fam me you and uh uh but Dune Cookman and questioning their academic rationale and and like you were saying, making it seem like only black people attended these schools, like they were racist programs, when we know for a fact that's not true. And so that's what I'm saying is that I just try to state the facts. State. I try to state the facts very clearly. And that's why one of the reasons I wanted to bring it on the show. When we come back I'm going to break when we come back, when we'll talk about that tour. But this first half we just talking about life. We just talking about HPCU, talking about you. You get the basis of who you are. When we come back, we're gonna talk about this tour so we can get more students and and HBCUs and also get more donations to come your way. Don't go anywhere. You listen to Money Making Conversations master Class and we're talking to Stacy Spratt. Did I tell you she was missing Miss Mischigan. That tells she missed you. And see that's it. Okay, you find out when you get back she's truth. Bye Bye.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushun McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Stacey U and cl for director for the Empowerment Meet Tour for the last ten years. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, The Empoundment Tour is a traveling road show. We handle cod career readiness and also college readiness. So with our college readiness we like to go to places where there aren't HBCUs, Like this past year, we executed in Chicago and also in Wisconsin where we had thousands of graduating seniors who were able to talk to our HBCU counselors. Some of them were admitted into school right on the spot. Some of them recive reived free scholarship dollars four year scholarship on the spot. It's a time where they're able to learn about financial aids, how to apply for colleges and universities, what type of major they might want to major in. It's content that is all around preparing our students for college and university and preparing them for a potential career.
Speaker 1: Wow. Now when you talk about preparing, you know because of the fact that that's the key, knowing what to say, what to do, and given opportunity. Now, when I go to the UNCF website, they have intern opportunities, you have scholarships opportunity. Now there are one hundred and five to one hundred and seven depend on accreditation of these different HBCUs that are available out there are all of the HBCUs associated with UNCF.
Speaker 3: Well, there's thirty seven UNCF HBCUs.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool.
Speaker 3: But with our scholarships though, you can attend. You know, it just depends on you know, which scholarships you apply for, right, but you can utilize some of those scholarship dollars to attend any HBCU or any majority institution. You know, our scholarships can change every couple of weeks, So I tell people, please please please check back like every couple of weeks and go to Opportunities dot UNCF dot org in order to see what internships we have available for my young people that are in college looking for an internship. If you are a graduating senior and need scholarship dollars, make sure you check us out and see what scholarships were offering. But I also tell people, don't start your senior year, start you know, your freshman year, your sophomore year, just to see what types of scholarships are out there for you.
Speaker 1: It's really important that we do this, you know, when you talk about because again, you know, we are just trying to narrow the gap of opportunity. And those internship program I did them in college. They saved I worked off shore. I worked, you know, I worked at IBM as an intern and they were the networking. Because we're gonna go to the next we gonna talk about the power of networking and because of the fact that that's what they lead you into, because a lot of people don't want to. It's not playing the game, but play the system. And to play the system right, sometimes you can't get the job. You won't if you're trying to get it when you graduate. Sometimes you have to get the job. You won't when you're just showing up or four hours a day or a couple of hours a day a week. Sometimes you may not even get paid for that opportunity, but generally pay you a marginal or a small amount of money, but to allow you to come in and work within that relationship. And sometimes, like I was fortunate, I would tell you stage when I finished my internship at IBM, they hired me. It was no guarantee, but they hired me. So then you know what I'm saying. And so that's why it's important now ten years ago, because I'm looking at your resume. You got into an empower Meet tour. How was the tour when you first started with it ten years ago and how has it grown and what are the great values that you've seen over the years. They just make you smile and sometimes they ain't bring you to tears.
Speaker 3: Right. So with the Empowerment Tour, I mean the founding sponsor of the Empowerment Tour as well, Fargo, And at one point with the tour, we didn't have our counselors actually on site offering scholarships. So to see where our UNCFHBCUS are offering millions of dollars in scholarships to graduating seniors in Chicago, you know, in Milwaukee, you know, it is so empowering and just to see those faces. A lot of these students are like, I didn't even know so HBCUs existed. I didn't even know I could attend college. I didn't know I could get into college. That is what we're watching, and we're seeing these kids experience and it's something that sometimes I just can't even put into words. It's the joy. I feel so much joy for these students, and these kids feel so much joy for themselves, and they're clapping for each other and they're happy for each other. It's it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It is a it is a beautiful Let me let me help out, Stacy, because I can put it in words. I've been to it. You know, you go there if you're a parent, because the parents went there. That's the beauty because the parent and the child are there. Okay, and you have these long lines. You know, it's some colleges that they got the long life. How would I always got a long line? You know, they always got a long line. I always fail, but always got a long line.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That don't mean they the best, but they got the long line because they got the reputation and that they always on TV and everything. Half the dollar. You know, I'm telling the truth. H You come in there with your test scores, you come in there with your transcripts, and you can walk in there and walk out with a full ride. I've seen this. I've seen this.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, am I not telling the truth station. It's the truth. And that's not where we started. And look at us now.
Speaker 1: Just come in there and that's and to see what happens is that allows HBCUs to have Tier one students, because that's all colleges won't they won't the Tier one then they can lord they can raise up and they get more funding, and they can go to theay and go to the alumni and say, we got all these Tier one students on scholarships and all this, because that's the upper cross of students that you want Tier one. And the reason I'm talking to Stacy with such passion is that I'm tired of p w I's getting credit for what HBCUs are building.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're building. We are building greatness. As you stated, you know, I don't think people realize a lot of STEM you know, students come from HBCUs. I mean I was one dual degree engineering, you know, so it's you know, it is we create greatness. Like I said, we really really do cool as.
Speaker 1: As we as we you know, get on the inside of this interview. How does one find out about the Empowerment Meet Tour. Is it set in the spring, does it go out in the summer? Is it always in the fall? Do you have accoulendar events? Do you have the register? Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we start back up our college readiness in the fall of this year, and then we will wrap it up in the spring of twenty twenty five. You could go to empower me Tour dot org, where this summer, we will actually be putting our dates up in locations and you'll be able to see it.
Speaker 1: Then, now you say a readiness. It kind of helped me out because I want to make sure I'm understanding what's going on. You said it starts here and it ends here. Please explain to me what so college?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So we college readiness are for our high school student right, okay, and then we also do career readiness for our college students and they're able to get internshifts and bossing opportunities. Yeah. We work it from your high school to college and from your college to your career or your entrepreneurial career. Beauty, every one you choose. We try to prepare you for both.
Speaker 1: So I need to bring you back. When I got to bring you back on the show. What in late August or September?
Speaker 3: When yep, the beginning of September. Bring me back.
Speaker 1: See, here's the beauty of this relationship. When you come backstation, you know who you're talking to, that's right, you.
Speaker 3: Know you absolutely, And I'll have some dates for you.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm gonna get with your people because that's the whole process. Because if we don't stand straight like we're trying to do stacy, spread the word of HBCU, spread the brand of excellence, the sprand of black excellence, and an academic success. Then we won't win. And I am here to help you win, help all HBCU win alumni and everybody. That's why I broadcast every Tuesday. It's a reason I'm headquarters. I can do it at my house, I can do it at my business, but I come here every Tuesday because I'm so proud to walk on this campus that you my friend graduated and both your parents graduated from two.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: As we close out any closing words, you know, miss Pratt a haha.
Speaker 3: You know what young people get out there, Go to opportunities dot UNCF dot org, look for those scholarships, start applying, Start applying. Now, you know, the only person that can stop you is you. You, no one else.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, because I won't let them stop. And I won't. I will have you back when we're gonna get to day and either August or whatever date you have available, you need to come back and we're gonna spread the word and continue to support UNCL and what you guys are doing, and changing lives because lives can only be changed by effort, and effort can only help people create their dreams. And when you set a dream, you can start making plans with your goals. And you achieve your goals, you will have excellence. Thank you for coming on my show, Stacy.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: We'll talk soon. I appreciate it again. Money Main Conversation Master Class is every Tuesday. We will talk next week. Thank you, thank you, thank you for listening and thank you. Thank you for supporting my show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with through Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts