Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 3: Who are ready for a mammoth episode of the podcast today.
Speaker 2: Welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 1: So, Jonah, I.
Speaker 3: Know you had kind of a unique experience taking guitar lessons growing up, and in honor of our guests today who were really excited for I thought you could talk a little bit about your guitar lesson experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was thirteen, I got a guitar. It was a cork guitar and it was white with Van Halen esque kind of stripes painted on it. I think someone didn't like lipstick or something. It was very, very kind of crude, but I thought it was like the coolest guitar. And I took lessons at the place in Cleveland. It was a musing store. But then the lessons were in the basement and it took lessons from this guy Andy, who chained smoked the whole time, and it was like an unfinished basement and he would just play like Metallica, Search and Destroy and show me how to play it, and I remember at one point I think Mom heard there was some like kind of sketchy stuff happening at this store, Like I got a guitar from them, and I think it might have been stolen. I was like, okay, they were like what color do you want? I was like this, and they're like, oh, we can't get that, but how's this one? We have this one right now. So I got my first less Peul studio there. But yeah, eventually I switched to his place, Academy Music. I started with this guy, Dave Baker, who was great. But I remember Mom being like, you can't keep going to this place as like a fourteen year old kid. It's not because it was maybe a front for drugs or something. Yeah, there was. Yeah, I think there was some weird stuff going on there. I think Mom's instinct were good. I was. I was mad, though I thought it was super fun. I was like, I get take hang out with this like old guy with long hair who's Gonnamoke cigarettes, show Metallica songs.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember you being mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was bummed, but yeah, it all it all worked out in the end. But yeah, I don't know what happened to that core guitar, but it was I had that in a small little gorilla amp and I yes, played on that thing a lot, absolutely rocking, totally rockin. But speaking of rockin, let's get into today's guests. Yes, you know him from playing bass in van Halen Tremonti and obviously fronting his own neck Mammoth WVH. They've toured with everyone from Guns n' Roses to def Leppard. Let's give a warm welcome to Wolfgang van Halen and Wolfgang. How's it going.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you ever have like a sketchy guitar lesson experience or probably not?
Speaker 5: It's not really I mean I never really took lessons at all. Okay, my dad taught me how to play one thing. I wanted to learn how to play guitar for a It was a graduation I guess they call it step up. It was a performance at school, and I wanted to learn how to play this song called three sixteen. It was a song my dad had written for me when I was born. He taught me how to play that, and then from there I would just kind of look at like guitar tabs online to figure out how to play like Chop Suey by system of a down and stuff in blank E two and.
Speaker 4: Uh and from there I just kind of taught myself.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was step up? How old were you for step up? What grade was that?
Speaker 4: Was it a like fifth grade?
Speaker 1: It was fifth so fifth grade so like a middle school graduation.
Speaker 5: Or like, uh it was the school I went to. It was as still elementary.
Speaker 1: It was kind of elementary, yes, yes, okay, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: There was like a for step up every grade, like they'd have like song performances and stuff and and uh I remember one time maybe it was that year. I think like all the popular girls sung the Friends theme song and stuff. But but yeah, yeah, I and then I got up there and I just played this like really somber finger picked acoustic guitar thing, like so not like what people put here. But it was my first thing of like learning how to play and it felt good.
Speaker 3: So I bet your song in retrospect was so much cooler. Not that we don't know disrespective friends, but it feels so deeply embarrassing to sing that theme song with your friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were kind of like unenthused about it, you know, like just the typical like popular girl just kind of standing there with like locked.
Speaker 4: Knees just kind of like sing it. And they weren't even singing the harmonies.
Speaker 5: They were just singing one vocal pattern of it.
Speaker 4: They were I.
Speaker 2: Can picture it.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. Yeah. So you so you you performed there? How did you? How do your performance go over at step up?
Speaker 5: I think it well, I tend to kind of blank up when I get so nervous. I still get nervous to this day, and I kind of just go somewhere else, and then I luckily have a bunch of people around me that I love and uh and that support me, that go like, yeah you did all right, that was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I kind of just like go away for a second sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that makes sense, you know, Me, me and Vanessa's our dad owns a packaging factory and so that was not something we were really interested in as adults. He ended up getting someone else bought the company. That's a long story, but not involving us. Yeah, but I was curious, like for you obviously, your dad being you know, such a legendary guitar player, was Was it something you were interested in initially or was it like how I feel about packaging more like, this is what my dad does and I'm not into it.
Speaker 5: I think it just had to do with maybe just the exposure of just being around it my whole life. Sure, it just felt like a natural thing. It was what I was interested in the most, other than video games. I just you know, I started playing drums when I was nine, so I was already just like into listening to music and figuring out how to play it. That by the time I picked up guitar as well, I was just kind of in it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, were you and you grew up in Santa Monica?
Speaker 5: Is that I was born in Santa Monica because that's where Saint John's the hospital is, But I was raised in Studio City.
Speaker 4: Just to start a rally, kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you play outside a lot? Did you skateboard?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What's kind of your childhood like as far as like.
Speaker 5: I wanted to skateboard so bad one year, but my dad wouldn't let me unless I was wearing risk guards.
Speaker 4: Because if I heard my wouldn't be able to play music.
Speaker 5: Smart Looking back on that, that was very smart, but you didn't want to be that loser with the helmet and risk guards and knee pads and shint guards and everybody would make fun of you. So I just kind of stopped and focused on on the But yeah, no, I did, I remember, God, what did I do? My mom put me in all the extra curricular I played basketball, I played soccer, and then I remember I did baseball.
Speaker 4: I like t ball. That was fun.
Speaker 5: Once kids started pitching, and this one kid hit me like three times pitching to me, I was.
Speaker 4: Like, Mom, I'm done, please can we stop? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What was interesting to me about that story was your dad is obviously legendary musician Eddie van Halen for anyone who just doesn't know that, right, And I'm not as a.
Speaker 4: Fan of the band, I didn't change interesting, Toty.
Speaker 1: Knew so much about your favorite band.
Speaker 3: So but it's interesting because you think of rock stars as being like so not caring about safety. But I love that he was like, you have to wear like cars. And then your mom, being Valerie Bertinelli, like, I like that. You know, she obviously encouraged you to play sports, But did you ever want to go into acting?
Speaker 1: At all. Was that interesting to you at all?
Speaker 5: I did take theater. I think that was one of the few classes I actually got an A in. Yeah, I have affinity an affinity for it. It's it's a lot of fun. I think I've just been so into music I've never really given it a shot. Yeah, I mean I have fun, like like for our dumb little music videos we have with my band. We have a lot of fun doing stuff like that. But yeah, I'd be into that at some point, but I'm just so focused on on the music right now.
Speaker 4: I feel like I don't have the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes me feeling about My wife will only let me skateboard in the driveway with a helmet on. And I'm an adult, so I think it's like it's tough. Like so it's like when you're a kid, it's dangerous, but it almost feels like an adult, like I'm forty four, it's actually more dangerous.
Speaker 4: Oh much more, much more.
Speaker 5: You can you just like I got up weird the other day and I had a pain in my shoulder for like a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you can injure yourself just sleeping now. It's like it's a bummer. Yeah, so you got into more like metal and stuff like I know you're a fan of a Suga and some of those kind of heavier bands. How did you kind of get exposed to that kind of stuff?
Speaker 5: Let's see, I mean I always grew up, I mean Van Halen being a a I guess technically hard rock band.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: I've always been interested in rock. You know, ACDC was the first band my dad and I really bonded over. And I mean from there, I really liked blinkin eighty two and then System of a Down and then I discovered Tool, who I actually just saw last night.
Speaker 4: It was it was.
Speaker 2: Amazing, really, how was that?
Speaker 4: It was really great?
Speaker 5: This show was insane, and I think discovering bands like Tool and then it kind of snowballed to bands like like Mushuka and stuff, that's where I really, I guess uh started loving heavier music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's I remember speaking of Tool. I remember years ago, like there was a situation where you were at a show and someone asked your dad to take a photo of them, of them, but he didn't know it was him or something just.
Speaker 5: Looked like a dude, you know, he didn't know he was were striped overalls, and had a guitar, you know, and uh yeah it was the end of so tool have a have a very specific which I think is really cool.
Speaker 4: No phone policy for the whole show amazing.
Speaker 5: Like literally last night, if anybody pulled the phone out, there were security guards who would flash a flashlight at you. You're living in the moment tonight, which is pretty cool and pop actually uh listened to that. But then at the end, Maynard the vocalist is like, okay, guys, you can you can take your crack pipes out and start just fill everything that you want. And then everybody filmed it and at the end you people can take pictures of the stage and stuff. And this random dude it was in twenty nineteen, walked up to my dad and was just.
Speaker 4: Like, hey, can you take a quick picture of me? It was like picture of me?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, yeah, And in that moment I just thought it was so hilarious that I took a picture of him taking the picture and posted it and not really one of the guy like, I thought it was really cute and hilarious and it just blew up.
Speaker 3: It was really really, that's so funny that happens to me kind of a lot too.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, And I go, well, I guess you don't give a crap about me.
Speaker 3: But I'm no Eddie Van anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I never saw a tool I saw. I could have seen him on the Undertow tour and I didn't. But I saw a sound Garden on the super Unknown tour instead that summer.
Speaker 5: That's pretty incredible. I think that's a trade. That's a worthy trade.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I've told Jonah that my claim to fame is that I met Chris Cornell at SNL and he and I told him that everyone told me I look like the girl in Black Hole son who's jumping rope. And he was sort of like huh. And I was like, and I used to have braces, And he was like, oh, I see it.
Speaker 4: As that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I was just going to ask, speaking of the nineties, were we talking about the nineties.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway.
Speaker 3: I remember that there was a Van Halen song that scored a clear pepsi commercial?
Speaker 1: Am I right that right now? Scored?
Speaker 4: I think right now? What's in the crystal pepsi campaign?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Were you getting crystal pepsi left and right in your house during that time?
Speaker 5: Maybe I feel like that was probably I was like two years old, so I when that album came out in what ninety my dad was recording it when I was born, Okay, okay ninety two, So I if there was I was not aware because it probably kay Water honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, two year old gang, you're probably gone, Yeah, you're not interested in that. It's been a few years, yeah, Jonah. And I just remember every kind of like free food that we've ever got.
Speaker 2: Like our dad got like free hero sand those like sandwiches because he almost was buying this business. And so we talk about that a lot still. But I imagine you probably you guys probably got send stuff all the time.
Speaker 5: I think the one free food thing that I ever was like stoked about as a kid is when my mom was Untouched by an Angel and they filmed that in Park City, Utah.
Speaker 4: Wow, and uh a wonderful place if you haven't been there. I love it up there.
Speaker 5: But I would go to the craft service truck and steal all the payday bars.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Was with me, like we would be like we're gonna grab like eight pay days.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty sophisticated candy bar for a kid.
Speaker 5: A lot of peanuts, and I was just I don't know why I was into it. That doesn't seem like a that's a good, very chocolate. Yeah, but a sophisticated palace.
Speaker 3: You had a sophisticate how and your mom it's quite a cook, so you know she probably raised you to get past the like basic stuff at a pretty young age and you're onto paydays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was advanced in my in my in my candy eating years.
Speaker 2: There's something really satisfying as a kid to get like a full sized candy bar, because I feel like Halloween, all the holidays are getting these like tiny ones, and then I feel like, yeah.
Speaker 4: The full sized candy bars. You knew where? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I always go to my my friend slash Manager's house Christy Halloween and I help her pass out candy and she has and we always with a few other people, we always pass out full sized candy bars. And the reaction from kids and adults is so wild, like everyone can't believe that the candy bars are full size, and they always try and sneak back and get like a second candy bars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm including the adults in this, by the way, and we have to say no to them.
Speaker 3: It's really humiliating, I think for the adults because it's like you shouldn't have even asked for one. This isn't your holidays, you know what I mean. But yeah, people love full sized candy bars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As a kid, it's just like this thing is enormous and I'm gonna have so much sugar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll never forget. And you know, like every set always has a big thing of red vines always, you know, So it's like, oh, it's just like I like my dad always just had a handful of red vines anytime we were visiting my mom on set.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so fun. That's so fun. And I'm a Twizzlers person. And still I'd eat through all of those.
Speaker 5: You'd eat all he was all about, Like I remember he always had a bag of Twizzlers with him too, Like he was always about Twizzlers.
Speaker 4: He loved me.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back with Wolfgang van Halen and we're back. Wo We're gonna get into our topic, but really quick. You know, something I always speaking of being a kid, I dreamed of was having my own signature guitar. It hasn't happened yet. It's looking more more unlikely.
Speaker 1: John, I don't say that.
Speaker 4: I don't say that's only dreams.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, it could have. It's about fifty to fifty. I know that's a little high, pretty.
Speaker 1: High percentage for somebody who's see down themselves.
Speaker 2: It's a probably like a probably like a point one.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, keep it. Fifty to fifty optimistic.
Speaker 2: Fifty to fifty. Yeah, right, Fender's probably trying to call me right now. But uh, you know, you have a lot of them and you have a new one. I mean, how fun is it to design your own guitar? I mean that must be incredible.
Speaker 4: It's a really special thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We just announced on my dad's birthday at this point, a couple of weeks ago. So for the unfamiliar, my dad's guitar company and am company EVH Gear in partnership with Fender. I guess it's a specialty brand under like the umbrella of it. And my dad has been there since two thousand and seven, where he introduced the wolf Gang line of guitars named after after me as a sort of tribute return to that. The guitar that I developed is called the Essay one twenty six Essay for Semi Acoustic because it's a semi hollow guitar and one twenty six because that's his birthday. So we announced that on his birthday and it'll be out in May. I've been playing it live for the last two years, crash testing it, as my dad would would say, because he would always I remember when he was developing the fifty one to fifty three line of guitar amps. He was up at the studio for a week. He turned all the knobs fully up and left a guitar in front of it, feeding back, and then just left it sitting there for an entire week. And if you were down at the house and listened, you could kind of hear A and C. You would go up to the studio and open, you know, the soundproof doors. It would just get louder and louder to find, you know, the loudest sound happening up at the studio.
Speaker 4: And the amp didn't blow up, so it was it was ready. I guess at that point, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Jonah, I'm gonna that's going to be your next president, I'm going to get you that guitar.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, I know somebody at the guitar I might be able to help you out. I could also talk to Fender about your your signature model.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, next maybe just mentioned it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so cool you it's such a cool dad. And you know our dad again owned a packaging company.
Speaker 1: Technically is.
Speaker 4: I love it? Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you have to hook you up with some like that stuff that you fill your tire with if you get a flat tire, I think.
Speaker 3: He's or if you buy something that's shrink wrapped, like a CD or something, I.
Speaker 4: Will see because I unfortunately have popped a lot of tires. There's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll hook you up'll hook you.
Speaker 3: Up, but we can get something shrink wrapped again if you want to return it. So it's like almost the opposite. Like if you if you need to get rid of something, he can rewrap it for you in a way that'll look like you never opened it.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. I will absolutely take you up on that.
Speaker 2: Good. Well yeah, well we've trade, we can trade. Yeah, we can trade. That's totally that's a fair trade.
Speaker 4: I'll give you a guitar. You guys can can the DVD of Liar Liar for me.
Speaker 3: That can give you this some like shit that fills your tire. Yeah that probably doesn't even work. Yeah, we're a good business. This is a good deal, absolutely good fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: So okay, we talked a lot about topic ideas, and so you came with a great one, Nintendo sixty four. What was your kind of relationship like with Nintendo sixty four. Was this like your first big console or how do you think back on it.
Speaker 4: I am a giant nerd.
Speaker 5: I'm playing playing guitar or you know, music, I'm playing video games, and I grew up. I think my mom maybe regrets it to a bit that I grew up in a house that had everything. I had the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo. But the really big thing was when that Christmas where the Nintendo sixty four came out. I mean there's that famous video that kid freaking out with the Nintendo sixty four. That was such a big thing for me because I don't think there's ever going to be a jump like that again from two D games to a third dimension, like moving Mario around Peach's castle, that first time was the most amazing and incredibly frustrating thing because you just didn't know how to do it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that always stuck in my mind as.
Speaker 5: One of the crazy video game memories growing up was getting the Nintendo sixty four.
Speaker 4: I love that thing.
Speaker 2: Were there any games like because I remember the thing I remember the most is going from Super Mario Kart from Super Nintendo and then it coming on n sixty four and yeah, and it being so three D. I mean, were you into that game? Like, what were some of the games that you were at?
Speaker 5: Mario Kart sixty four, Super Mario sixty four, the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've beaten that game.
Speaker 5: I beat it for fun two weeks ago, just because, like I still just play it all the time. But yeah, I was a big Mario guy growing up. Like being able to to play it in all a new dimension was was.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous to me at the time. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: What's the deal with Warrio? That's like the evil Mario.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's it's weird. I feel like I don't know if I've done enough research on this, but I feel like it's like he doesn't like Mario, and he's not related like he he's not like an evil brother, He's just like he.
Speaker 1: Just happens to have a really similar name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess he's I guess he uses that coincidence in a proper manner favor. Yeah, his name is is my w upside down.
Speaker 6: So I got to be his enemy, I guess. So like your enemy would be like Mulf gang. There's like a gang, Yeah, would be would be my Well, I guess I would be the warrior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you're if there's any Wulf gangs out there, you better watch out.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna put your girlfriend in the castle.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So what was your kind of like did you have a specific like place you would play or like certain snacks or like what was your setup?
Speaker 5: Like my setup was right in the living room on what at the time was the most insane, hugest TV ever.
Speaker 4: Which was probably just like a thirty two inch tube TV.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Now today we have like one hundred inch flat screams and stuff. But at the.
Speaker 5: Time, you know, you'd be sitting on the couch and it's just this tiny little box and you're like, man, the resolution is incredible. But yeah, I would just sit on the floor in the living room, and I remember playing the system before my mom could help me get through difficult parts, but once it upgraded to three D graphics, she gave up and just became the co pilot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because back.
Speaker 5: Then, without the you know, the prevalence of the Internet, you would get strategy guides.
Speaker 4: Doesn't know all the secrets, so my mom s didy guides and she.
Speaker 5: Would read them for me and be like, okay, so to you know, to get this star, you have to collect the seven coins and they're all over here, and she would she would be she would be my spock and help guide margin the save peach.
Speaker 3: That's really sweet that you would sort of be co pilots with that. That's really sweet. Now did you ever help her memorize lines or anything like that.
Speaker 4: No, it was a very one sided relationship. And I was.
Speaker 3: I guess, you're the kid, so you get all the help and stuff, but okay, so you're not.
Speaker 5: Okay, I would just steal the candy at work.
Speaker 4: So definitely one sided.
Speaker 2: Hey, right, did you get into you know, after n sixty four? Did you kind of continue on to like get into PlayStation or stuff after that, Okay.
Speaker 4: Everything, man, I still do. I am the biggest loser I went.
Speaker 5: I went from arguably the jump from Nintendo sixty four to the GameCube. The Nintendo GameCube was probably the most insane in terms of like graphical fidelity. Yeah, yeah, I got the PlayStation too, and I have all of it. It's a it's a I guess it's a hobby. My wife tries to convince me that, like, no, you have interests and that's and that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Did you ever get into like the guitar Hero type games or where you like, I play real guitar. This is like I'm above this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I loved Guitar Hero. There was you know, it's funny. We actually we did van Halen Guitar Hero. It was it was a really quick thing. Like it like it was a very weird thing how it happened and it ended up not becoming what it could have been.
Speaker 4: But it was a fun thing to help see what goes into making that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I I remember, h yeah, that was. That was a thing you would do back in the day, like have parties and people would just yeah, because it was like part karaoke.
Speaker 4: At the same time and people would just sing along.
Speaker 5: And then there was that south Park episode about it that was like really hilarious and yeah.
Speaker 2: But do you do you think like even the hardest song to play in guitar hero right, let's say the most technical? Do you think I mean, is it anything like like playing like eruption or something on like an actual guitar.
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 5: It's very much just like a it's similar I guess dexterity, but like in terms of like moving up and down a guitar neck, it's you're just kind of yeah, it's like dance dance revolution with your fingers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But what you say, because I can play pretty well at the very beginner level of guitar here that I'm sort of like.
Speaker 4: Grow or what an incredibly professional guitar player. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I I also remember we had a friend when I lived in Chicago and was like on an improv team. We had a friend who had like all the instruments, and we would go did you have all the instruments?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, there was a like there was a drum set and there was.
Speaker 4: A rock rock band where they.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm thinking of Okay, I'm thinking of rock.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about.
Speaker 4: Different where people could then it really was karaoke. You could say you.
Speaker 3: Could sing too, And I remember sometimes like the singing felt very like random, Like sometimes I'd get a really bad score and I'd be like, this is actually just the game being rude to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're just judging me for because you're tech it's terrible, not because I'm a bad singer.
Speaker 3: I might be doing something interesting with my voice that doesn't fit into your little game and that doesn't make me.
Speaker 1: That's probably get or whatever.
Speaker 4: It expoints me nothing when I'm giving you gold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true. Yeah yeah. Me and Vanessa also growing up, had a Sega Genesis and we had this Motley Cruise theen pinball game called yes Crewball Yeah, and it's if you can find it. Had it would have like MIDI versions of like Home Sweet Home and stuff, which is incredible. It was a.
Speaker 1: Cool It was a cool It was a pretty cool game.
Speaker 5: Only pinball machine I had was. I guess this is semi relevant after this new trailer came out. But my dad wrote a couple of songs for a Twister. You remember Twister the movie the film, of course, the old movie. And they made a twister pinball machine and that song Dad wrote Humans Being was like in a midy four, I'm playing throughout it.
Speaker 4: Whoa up in the attic? It was, it's a really cool machine. But I just remember playing that old time.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing, Oh my gosh. Well, yeah, I got a couple fun facts about the Nintendo sixty four. It went through a few name changes. It was almost it was almost called Nintendo Ultra sixty four. A lot of celebrities want it when it came out, such as Steven Spielberg, Matthew Perry, and a few of the Chicago Bulls. They raised it in a bunch of different colors.
Speaker 5: I guess, oh yeah, yeah. It was like clear, the clear plastic. They need to bring that back, will Yeah that was that'd be cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a clear phone when I was And the final and sixty four cartridge ever made was Tony Hawk pro Skater.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's ok. Yeah, what a Swan song. That's a good one to go out there.
Speaker 2: I know that is a good one. Yeah, but uh yeah, I guess there's a it was, Yeah, unlike its predecessors, it's not really collectible. You can get for about two hundred bucks. You can get one one hundred two hundred bucks. So yeah, some of these video game stuff, I know, it can be very collected.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the the the reused like video game collector market is ridiculous right now. Yeah, that's why people a lot of people turn to like emulation and stuff like that, although that's kind of been a legal gray area, but uh yeah, it's it's tough. Like physical media is starting to become a real big issue nowadays. Not to get serious, but like it's just like, yeah, with streaming and all that, it's like I want to have my stuff and I can't have it if it's right right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's yeah, and it's so collectible and the same with you know, it's funny because I read a lot about collecting guitars and I it's like so funny to me because someone will post a photo of a guitar and someone will be like that, like pick up is the wrong color.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like people are so I just want to like basically just say what's wrong with it? Like you'll see some of the most beautiful thing ever and someone will find something might be though, Yeah, that might it. Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Like you could you could, you could, you could watch a video of a of a like a national geographic video of a porcupine, you know, like pooping, and then there's like racial slurs in the comments.
Speaker 3: Right right, right right, Yeah, people are absolutely garbage. Now I'm curious now that we are in the Internet age and you're an adult, does your mom, I'm a huge fan of your mom's, does she ever play video games with you?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: She I mean, there's less of a need for somebody to be you know, using the physical guide, et cetera. But does she ever like, oh you should you should have done that, you know, while you're playing.
Speaker 5: Have like like a VR setup, you know where you can yeah, oh cool.
Speaker 4: And I like to be like, hey.
Speaker 5: I try this game out, and I put her in like a really terrifying horror game where like zombies and I remember, uh, I think we posted it was a couple of years ago, but she legitimately screamed it was it was pretty anything other than than trying to mess with her.
Speaker 3: Not really okay, okay, so not not in not in a super serious way. Now, when you were growing up, were you fans of any of her shows or were you just like sorry, I know we were talking about Inn ten to sixty four, but or were you just like more like, this is my mom, she's gonna help me with video games, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean kind of like I maybe I guess the I think more recently, Yeah, I've had a lot more fun. I think growing up, it was always just like I don't want to I want to go home.
Speaker 4: I don't I want to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to, you know, I don't want to sit here and have to have to be quiet seriously on set.
Speaker 4: I need to be right. I went as a child, I can't do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and H But nowadays, yeah, like going on her on her cooking shell and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: We're always always a really good time.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you had to be really quiet at one of your parents' jobs and you could be really loud at the end. H.
Speaker 5: Literally the polar opposite.
Speaker 2: Did you have any of like the handheld kind of console it's growing up, like game boy? Or yeah?
Speaker 3: Links or is links? Were you even links? Is pretty old story.
Speaker 4: That's that's an old one.
Speaker 5: I never had that, but I did have a game and then the game Boy Pocket and then the game Boy Color, and then the Game Boy Advance and then the Game Boy Advance.
Speaker 4: SP and then the DS like I had. Oh yeah, I still do. I I'm very proud of my collection.
Speaker 3: Do you prefer those ever to the full? I feel like those have gotten so advanced? Are they the newest? The Nintendo Switch is much like the culmination of like all of like home consoles and portable that, like Nintendo kind of merged their markets into one. And as a touring musician, it is a wonderful thing to have.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's so crazy because we're adults now and we can just buy Nintendo's for ourselves in a way that you couldn't when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: And I was noticing this the other day because I was at the.
Speaker 3: Dentist and absolutely stunk like they were polishing my teeth, and I was like, this is so uncomfortable. I hate this so much, And it's funny, like, as an adult, we just have so much freedom to make our own decisions, and we can choose to not go to the dentist if we don't want to, and to buy Nintendo's, and so I guess I like to live.
Speaker 1: I like to do a little bit of both, just to keep it balanced.
Speaker 3: But you don't. It's so cool to be an adult. You just go like, hey, I have to do my six month dentist appointment. How about no? How about no way, jose No?
Speaker 5: Like literally, I think I saw like a meme one time where it was just like, you know, as an adult and you can just do whatever you want. You can just give up. You can go to the store right now and just like get a giant cake for a party of twelve.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and give up. You can just do that if you wanted to.
Speaker 1: It's so fun, it's so cool.
Speaker 3: I always forget that I could go buy a huge sheet cake for myself.
Speaker 4: Nice to remember that every now and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, am I going to brush my teeth?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, no, well, you can still brush your teeth right like it does.
Speaker 3: Twice today, but maybe tonight I'll say, actually, no, you know, it is a nice feeling when you brush your teeth, so I guess I probably will.
Speaker 1: Do it, but and kind of known for my smile. I'm not a big deal.
Speaker 3: But although when I was at the dentist, sorry, I was gang I'm fake cocky a lot. When I was at the dentists, they were like, there's all these stains on your teeth and I was like what and they were like, yeah, when we polish them, we're going to use this like kind of abrasive thing to get them off. And I was like okay. And then they showed me the stains, like the before and after after they polished my teeth, and the stains were all on the inside of my teeth, like they were behind the front and behind like and I was like, I don't give a ship if there's stains on the back of my teeth, Like who cares? It's like, thanks for thanks for cleaning up the stains that no one will ever see.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could have been I could have been going to the store and buying a cake during this time, but instead of to sit there, they polished the.
Speaker 1: Back of my teeth.
Speaker 3: It's just in nobody cares about the back of people's teeth.
Speaker 1: Sorry. It really was like what.
Speaker 5: What, No, that's not something you think about idea, Yeah, yeah, it's really care about the front of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, anyway, yeah, like I can't even see the back of my teeth.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, it yeah. It is interesting how you're you are kind of known for your teeth because we have the same dentist, same orthanonty scrowing up. No one ever comments on my Maybe it's a mustache, but no one ever comments on my teeth.
Speaker 1: Oh well, Jonah, it's I think it is your mustache.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take a quick break, but we'll be right back with Wolfgang van Halen. All right, and we are back. So Wolfgang, we're gonna play a quick game with you right now. It is called nostalgia or nostalgia. In this game, we are going to discuss three nostalgic thing from the past that are making a comeback and pick which one we are most excited about. Okay, so the first one. And we picked this because of you. I thought you might be interested in this. There's going to be a reboot of the game Crazy Taxi. This is a Sega game. They're doing a bunch of reboots. I guess. The theme song was by the Offspring. Yeah all I want, I know, I want yeh whoa And so it first hit the arcades in ninety nine, then it was on Dreamcast, PlayStation two GameCube and PC. There's a few sequels and spin offs, and the last game was in twenty seventeen, Crazy Taxi Tycoon, where you run a taxi business. Don't know how that game's going. So well, Okay, what do you think about this Crazy Taxi reboot? Is this something you're interested in?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I give that a very very hearty yes.
Speaker 5: Okay, one because it's just a great game, but two because it's also my wife's favorite game. She okay of Crazy Taxi. So knowing that there's a possibility we'll get more, that will be very exciting. Hopefully they don't mess it up like a lot of video games nowadays do by like turning it into just like a micro transaction riddled hell of no game. So I hope they I hope they do a good job because because that we we all could use driving around to the offspring more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's nice. Yeah, because it's it's I said, like, it's going to be like an uber game, and you're like gonna have to like maximize the process.
Speaker 5: I don't know, yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vanessa, what do you think about the crazy test?
Speaker 3: I'm all in, I mean, just giving wolf Kings like description of it, it like, it sounds great.
Speaker 1: I also like that.
Speaker 3: Somebody suggested, like, let's name it Crazy Taxi, and everyone was like, yeah, it feels like it feels like a crazy name for a game, but like I, it's fun, Like I you know, well, you don't.
Speaker 5: Have the nties where everything was radical and crazy awesome. Yeah you totally rad, dude, you know, yes, Crazy tax the bits it's perfect.
Speaker 4: We gotta you probably gotta raise when he came up with.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, no, you're probably right. So okay. Basically, and the premise of the game is is it just like to pick people up and get them places as fair as possible.
Speaker 5: You pick one of four cool awesome people and you drive around as you can picking people up, and if you don't, they jump out of.
Speaker 4: Your car mid mid drive. WHOA.
Speaker 3: As an adult, it feels like a sort of a stressful game because it feels like work kind of. But I guess in the context of a game, it's fun. It feels like, especially for someone who loves getting stuff done, it feels like very satisfying it.
Speaker 4: But too Yeah, it's it's a it's it's a rush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I'm with you, both of you. I think this is a fun game. The game I usually play in a taxi is I just stare at the meter and watch how expensive it is. So that sounds way more fun. And that's to do you want to get into the next one? Yes?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the next one is there's going to be a Bewitched reboot. It's that in the works that it's so it's a dramatic reboot of the sixties hit Bewitched. The writer is also known for The Boys and Daisy Jones and The Six and it's described as an hour long reimagination of the classic series.
Speaker 1: So do you do, Wilfgang?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with Bewitch? Did you ever watch it?
Speaker 4: Not really? But didn't they already try to reboot it? I guess yeah, Will Ferrell.
Speaker 1: Movie with Will Ferrell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, yes, and that's too hot right like otherwise, I guess we would remember it better.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can't remember if it did well.
Speaker 3: We were I mean, we were pretty young when it came out, so you were probably really.
Speaker 4: It was I think it was wasn't really two thousands or something? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Was it that recent? I guess?
Speaker 5: I guess I think it was to I hate to say early two thousands was now twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: I hate to make us all feel old now.
Speaker 3: Right, two thousand and five, so it was like twenty it was like nineteen years ago.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe every twenty years they waited like sort of forty years, and then every twenty after that they.
Speaker 5: I can't I'm excited for the fifth remake in twenty seventy.
Speaker 4: I think that'll be really right.
Speaker 2: That's the one to wait for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also, very fast math in your head. I just threw that outa I mean, I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To think back.
Speaker 3: That's twenty four forty four. Yeah, give it. Yeah, that was really good math. Yeah, so you're so but you it sounds like you're.
Speaker 2: Ambivalent.
Speaker 4: I would have said no.
Speaker 5: I think I would have said no, not interesting, maybe just because it's just not my uh, here's more more nineties for it. Not my bag, baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't believe it. Just quoted Austin Powers. I'm so sorry, And no, that was cool. I don't know because maybe it's just not for me. But when I heard.
Speaker 4: The people, dude from the Boys was doing it. The Boys is really good, so maybe they'll they'll they'll mix it up and make it ironic or I don't know it for something really cool. Who knows?
Speaker 2: Wolfgang, how would you feel about an Austin Power's reboot that?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know how I feel about like things that are awesome, because if they were so awesome, why try to know, Let's do a new thing. Let's keep awesome, figure out something.
Speaker 2: New, you know, I know, I know. Did you see that last Bill and Ted's movie?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: I think it's actually the middle of the pandemic and stuff, wasn't it. Yeah, Preston didn't want to go and see anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty good. It's it's pretty good. But it's tough. It's tough to reboot that classic stuff. It's it's it can Yeah, it's a hit or miss.
Speaker 4: Be very careful with it and that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Joana, how do you feel about it Bewitched?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 2: Kind of similar to Wolfgang. I mean, I feel like we watched the show growing up, just because you know, we didn't have a lot of options. I haven't seen the film. Sounds like a great cast, so I would check that out. But for the show, yeah, I guess if they if they have good production and stuff, it could be an interesting idea.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's actually supposed to be more of a drama.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The original show is comedy, so it's kind of like what they do with The Fresh Prince of bel Air. They kind of made a kind of dramatization. Yeah, so I don't know, it could be could be really interesting. I would probably check out a couple episodes. Hey, I watched some of the new Quantum Leaf, I watched some of the new Fraser. I mean, I'll check it out.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I want to be positive for for anything obviously, sure, yeah, from preference alone, or and maybe just to balance these questions out, I'll throw a no. Yeah, but I hope all the best.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like you've.
Speaker 3: Both been very gentle and positive about it, and it's okay if it's not your thing, I will say, you know, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Groovy baby, that it's maybe.
Speaker 3: Going to come back because yours, your awesome powers, is better than it's groovy.
Speaker 1: It's groovy, baby, baby.
Speaker 4: That was at Australian mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always go Australian when I try and be British. These days, these days, these days of exciting. I bet I watched it more than both of you did because I liked it, and I also liked I dream of Genie a lot so and sometimes I get them confused, even though they have very different.
Speaker 4: Very clear I could see that. I can see that, but.
Speaker 3: They were always on around the same time. And I feel like, you know, let's see. But to your point, like it is hard with reboots because you just you just don't know what you don't know what's going to happen. And I feel like, this is a show that is loved by a lot of people, and you know, if you're going to do it, you got to do it right.
Speaker 5: So if you don't do it right, your career is over and your life isap.
Speaker 3: That's right, because yeah, once a reboot doesn't work in Hollywood, they never try it again.
Speaker 2: Well, our last one here, this one actually it's kind of related to our dad a little bits from Parade dot Com, Wendy's is bringing back one of their fan favorites. The Crispy panco Fish sandwich is coming back this week. In nursing blog posts, Wendy said that the sandwich has earned a strong dedicated fan base over the years, so they're bringing it back. It's a wild caught Alaska pollock filet. I can't believe they're using wildcough fish. It seems way too expensive. But coated and breading with lettuce, American cheese, pickles, and tartar sauce on a bun. Blah blah blah. There's some quotes from their global vice president of culinary Innovation says it's customizable in pairs with the Cott and Crispy garlic fries. And one more thing to add, Yeah, this is the thing our dad is going to freak out about.
Speaker 5: I have a great attachment to my dad with filet of sandwiches as well.
Speaker 4: I'll explain it.
Speaker 2: Okay, amazing our dad's connect there. So just just to give you some context, Wolfkame, we talked about this before. Our dad bought this pass to Wendy's where you get a free frosty every time you go, like a small frost like a minie, like a mini one, but they never have the regular ones. They just have vanilla and these flavors, and he like doesn't like the flavors. And I think this thing was like five dollars and he gets like unlimited frosty so it's a good year.
Speaker 3: It's really good year. I think it went up from two dollars to three dollars. But in this, in this fish Sandwich announcement, they also said that they'll be bringing back a new frosty flavor and in March called Orange Dreamsicle, which I know our dad is gonna hate.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be so mad.
Speaker 2: We only do the chocolate. That's that's only the chocolate. He's into the chocolate, doesn't like the flavors. But I feel like Orange Dreamsicle is like way too out there.
Speaker 3: Wait, Johanna, I was just talking to him about this. I think he he doesn't like the chocolate. I think he Wait, I think he only likes the vanilla. And they keep the chocolate because that's the classic, and then they change the other flavor. So he has his choices are chocolate, which he's not really a fan of, or whatever flavor. If you if you think he is going to be a fan of orange, you're wrong. Yeah, he's going to be so fucking pissed about this. He was so mad when it was strawberry. He was like this, like you could like we heard it, We've heard about it so much and Honestly, he's not going to be alone in thinking that an orange frosty is disgusting. I for one, will say, Okay, I'm gonna anyway. I'll let you get through this, and we should. We'll ask you first, Wolfgang, what you think that.
Speaker 4: Or the orange frosty.
Speaker 2: It's about the filet of fish. But if you have any this frosty is like almost like just on top of it. If we kind of can be both.
Speaker 3: They're releasing them sort of at the same time, like the same announcement to bring them both out. And honestly, if even if people are excited for this fish sandwich, they're.
Speaker 1: Going to be pissed. But go ahead, what do you think about the pigeons?
Speaker 4: Have to say?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think I want fish from a fast food restaurant just in general. That's so that's just going to be a no. But I know my dad was all about the filet of fish and McDonald's because his secret was nobody ever orders it, so when you get it, it's fresh.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting exactly.
Speaker 5: That's what my dad always say, is like I get the filet fish because nobody, nobody orders it, and so it's always fresh. Every time, So I guess for you filet of fish has Oh, you probably already know that already. That's probably secret everybody else, and I'm unveiling it.
Speaker 2: I guess, so you wouldn't You wouldn't order this. It says it's wild caught fish, which to me sounds pretty legit, but I don't know it alsos Wendy's.
Speaker 4: I don't trust you.
Speaker 2: I don't trust me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Your dad was also onto another thing, which is that if you order something that no one else is going to order, you don't have to share it. You can go, hey, does anyone want to bite of my awe a fish sandwich? And everyone will go no, I'm going to eat my burgert. That's why I like black licorice. I trained myself to like black licorice and Good and Plenty because I can go, oh, I have this whole pack of Good.
Speaker 1: And Plenty, Does anyone want some?
Speaker 3: And I look real generous, and then everyone's like no, that's disgusting, and I'm like, suit yourself, morons, And then I eat the whole box by myself and get very sick.
Speaker 4: But I can do it incredibly generous and wonderful at the same time. And that's it matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you're not but you're not a fan, and I understand that wanting to have.
Speaker 4: I would be more willing to try the orange Frosty Dreamsicle.
Speaker 1: Orange Dreamsicle Frosty.
Speaker 4: I'd be more willing to try that.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, yeah, you're in California. Maybe a hot day, right.
Speaker 4: Like you want to have some cold orange oranges?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Vanessa, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, but just to go back to the orange Dreamsicle. It kind of reminds me remember those Flintstones push ups that were orange. Surbert, Yes, you were really into those, Jonah, yeah you're Yeah. See how for people who like the it's just I think the problem isn't the Frosty itself. I think it's someone expecting a classic flavor and then being presented with orange, they probably go, you know, and in our dad's case, you should probably go, Yeah, I'll take it because I've paid three dollars to get free Frosty's for the entire year, so I'm gonna do it. And by the way, he signed up in January this year instead of February, so he gets them for the full year.
Speaker 4: Incredible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the point is the fish sandwich from Wendy's.
Speaker 3: I you know, I guess i'd try it because it's also breaded and tanko, which is kind of healthy, I think, So I guess i'd try it. But I hear you, you know, it's always a risk with this with the fish when you don't know exactly, you know, But I mean they say it's wild caught. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm curious. I'm curious about it.
Speaker 3: When Yeah, yeah, that's a good point. When was it caught? When was it caught? Well, according to your dad, probably it's probably fresh. Because guess what. I don't think people have like gotten more into fish sandwiches from fast food places over the years, right, Yeah, probably still kind of have the same attitude of not for.
Speaker 2: Me, I actually am a fan of fast food fish sandwiches. I don't eat them a lot. I don't eat a lot of fast food. But I remember in college I was hadn't had McDonald's in like years, and I stopped and got a fly of fish at a rest stop, ate in the car, then went back inside and bought another one because I was like, there's it was almost like this like addictive quality to it. So I don't really eat it because it like kind of scares me. You start craving it. Yes, maybe I need to try this then, I mean I would try it, but but I'm also with Wolfgang. It's like I don't believe. I cannot imagine that they're using wildcot fish, even though I know that they say it is. I feel like they have to be for like seven bucks or whatever it's got to be. I don't know. You don't want to mess around with fish.
Speaker 5: I guess there's a line between like a bread and fish cake. Yeah, maybe maybe that's okay. But like when you see like like a a fast food Mexican restaurant have like shrimp tacos, like right, yet the shrimp from from fast food? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I watched too many of these like Gordon Ramsey shows where he goes in the kitchen everything's like frozen and like yeah, it's it's yeah, So I would. I would try it if there was nothing else around.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm going on tour and sometimes the only thing you can have for a day is that there's one Wendy's you know that you're in, Like I.
Speaker 3: Might have to try it, Okay, if you do try it, know that it's wild caught and it's breaded in Panco. And also the global vice president of Culinary Innovation, John Lee noted that it's customizable and pairs nicely with an order of hot and crispy garlic fries along with a good old fashioned Coca Cola coke beverage.
Speaker 1: Why did they write Coca Coca Cola Coke?
Speaker 4: I love my Coca Cola Coke beverage and.
Speaker 3: You could get in an orange dreams of cold frosty with it. You got to try the whole thing and let us know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm now going to refer to any soda. I have a Coca Cola coke beverage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: So Wolfgang. If you had to pick one of these you would want to bring back for nostalgia, would it be? And I think I kind of have an idea what you're going to pick up? Crazy Taxi, the Bewitched reboot, or the fish sandwich from Wendy's.
Speaker 4: I've been given our topic for the day. I'm going to have to make it rain on Crazy Taxi for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, I'm going to go same. I think crazy Taxi seems like a fun game. You know, I like any game in New York when I'm driving and not stuck in traffic. If you know what I mean, Vanessa, what about you? What are you picking here?
Speaker 1: I didn't know it. I guess I'd pick I guess I'd pick Crazy Taxi too.
Speaker 3: I mean it sounds. I love the name Crazy Taxi. When I was really little, my friend Tracy and I made this. We tried to sell Nintendo on a game that we created called Cool Love Life, and Crazy Taxi is sort of a similar really kind of just throwing words out there, just kind of a bold name.
Speaker 1: The name alone. I'm like, I want I'm into Crazy Taxi.
Speaker 4: How do you play Cool love Life?
Speaker 2: Great question?
Speaker 1: Think there were different Well, we wrote it so crazy.
Speaker 5: Is it describing the experience of having a cool love life or is it like a like a hey, cool, like a compliment.
Speaker 3: So this is the late eighties and we play you play this character, this girl, and she goes through different levels. And this is based on stuff that we wrote that we drew with pencil on computer paper and then kind of sent in a bunch to Nintendo thinking.
Speaker 1: They'd go, oh okay.
Speaker 3: We were taking the bait and were biting because she had heard that one of her friends sent an idea to Nintendo and they made the game really.
Speaker 1: Which I'm sure, which I'm sure is true.
Speaker 3: So we we just kind of drew it out, and it was like you'd get to different levels and you'd get like a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: It feels very like, uh, I don't know, it doesn't feel like the most.
Speaker 3: It was having like a cool love life, okay, and cool love I know exactly what we meant by that, And I don't think we had like I don't think we knew exactly what we meant by that, but I do remember that we took one had I had like a collection of different like decorative boxes and stuff, and we took one of the boxes and we put a ton of change in it. We were going to try and send it to Nintendo with the game to kind of try and sweeten the deal, like, you know, we want you to make this game, but we're also going to give you probably like three dollars and fifty cents worth of change in case. Yeah, and then our mom pointed out that there, you know, she said, don't send this change with it. It's you can't send it. And also it would have made it so expensive because it would have been so heavy. So unfortunately Cool Love Left didn't work out. But Wolfgang, thank you so much for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Is there anything Yeah, I know you have a lot obviously going on with with Mammoth WVH.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can. You can follow me everywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm I guess I'm most active on Instagram at Wolf Vanhlen. You can go to Mammoth WVH dot com to check out all the tour dates. We always have tour dates up there and and stuff like that. And if you feel like checking out the essay on twenty six you can go to evhgear dot com to.
Speaker 4: Read more about it. But yet, thank you so much for having me. This was a great time.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here. This was so fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks so much for coming on, and thanks to everyone for listening. And please keep an eye next week's episode of How Do We Get Weird, where we will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like Nintendo sixty four. Thank you again so much, wolf Kaan. We really appreciate it.