Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the Surprize Onion ring in your daily order of puzzle French fries. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the great Charlotte Wilder, sportswriter, host of the show Oddball about the NBA, and frequent guest on the Dan Levitard Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome Charlotte, Thank you so much. Aj. I'm thrilled to be here.
Speaker 1: We are delighted to have you. We know that you consider puzzling a sport and you love puzzling, So your perfect guest today. I actually I am going to turn things over to our Chief Puzzle Officer, Greg Pliska, who has written a puzzle just for you. Greg.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Thank you, Aj, and thank you for being here. Charlotte. This is so fun having you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't believe I'm talking to the CPO, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, they only let me out of the lab occasionally, most are I am. I was down here subscribing to your substack. Actually I was very.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I'm a fan of yours. It's great. This is good too. Kind well, and since one of your big topics of fandom is sports. We're going to play a favorite game of ours that we actually did with Jay Billis on a recent episode that we told a wide opposite world of sports. Okay, but actually I think maybe today we'll call it oddball sports. The idea is that we're familiar with the major North American sports leagues, right and their teams, and in this puzzle, we're imagining the opposite world version of these teams, where all the team names are replaced by their opposites.
Speaker 2: I love it. I did listen to that episode, so hopefully you didn't repeat.
Speaker 3: I will not repeat, No, of course not. You're warmed up, you're.
Speaker 2: Ready to get ready, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I think I use this example in the other episode, but I'll use it again, which is, if there's a California basketball team that's named for female monarchs, they would be.
Speaker 2: The Sacramento Queens.
Speaker 3: Sacramento Queens exactly the opposite of the Sacramento King. So that's the that's the basic way this works, all right, here we go. This is an East Coast football franchise that's named for the other gang in West Side Story.
Speaker 2: Then it would be the New York.
Speaker 3: Sharks exactly right, not the New York Jets, but the New York Sharks, which is a fun one because of course there's the San Jose Sharks.
Speaker 2: I know. I was like, I feel like there should be more sports teams named Sharks, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Like it's a pretty good the ultimate Predator exactly, although I prefer the sports teams not named after predators, the nice ones.
Speaker 2: So you don't like the Nashville Predators.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that goes right, Yeah, that is a little on the nose, exactly. I prefer Cardinals. I think Cardinals like they eat, they eat fruit and stuff.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, I feel like I could have done this puzzle with the Winnipeg Jets and it would have just automatically.
Speaker 2: Been harder, yes, because I would definitely have forgotten that the Winnipeg Jets exists. No offense to Winnipeg or the or the Jets, exactly.
Speaker 3: One of the great one of the great trivia questions all the teams that have the same names. But that's not what we're playing today. Back to opposite world of sports. This is a team that's the oldest continuously operating professional sports franchise in North America that was founded in Boston but moved south when they got too scared.
Speaker 2: Okay, founded, So it's the opposite of what on this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can you the questions?
Speaker 3: No, it's a team. It's the oldest continuously operating professional sports franchise in North America. They were founded in Boston, but they move south when they got too scared. It's a baseball team.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh oh, yes, okay, sorry the would this be the Atlanta scaredy Cats?
Speaker 3: Okay, I was going to say the Atlantanta the good cowardlyes. I was going to say they're not brave, they're cowardly the Atlantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that scaredy Cat is not the technical opposite of brave.
Speaker 1: But I like it though. I mean, that's a predator.
Speaker 3: You got.
Speaker 1: That's a better name for response.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Look. As a New York Mets fan, I'm happy to call them the Atlanta coward Lees or scaredy Cats or whatever you want to call them. All right, here's another one. This is the only publicly owned NFL team and they like to empty their luggage at every hotel.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay, so I know the team. So we're working with the Green Bay Packers here, I'm trying to think, what is the opposite of packer, the Green Bay empty outers.
Speaker 3: You know, I just defaulted to the Green Bay unpackers. It's not very interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh no, it's good though. It's accurate.
Speaker 3: I just like the image of you know, Jordan Love there just getting everything out of his suitcase.
Speaker 2: Before I had that image, I immediately saw Jordan Love in my head, like holding a suitcase up and shaking all this stuff up.
Speaker 3: Just get it out. Here's another one. This is Benedict Arnold is actually the mascot for this Northeast football team.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, Bennette, I'm gonna go Trader is what one of these words good?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Uh so I'm trying to think Loyals.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is a football team in the Northeast.
Speaker 1: The Trader's part, right, I know, that's what I can't think of.
Speaker 2: What what the the hold on Dolphins? No, that's Northeast. That's just because furthermo oh oh, Patriots. There you go, New England Traders, the.
Speaker 3: New England Traders. Exactly.
Speaker 2: You guys keep getting me on the things I love most. I got tripped up on the Taylor Swift time cover the other day. I'm sailing and now on the the NFL team that I actually root for.
Speaker 3: So all right, you were trying to go way outside the box.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, let me do two more. This NBA franchise got in trouble when all of its fans started pulling down their pants and waving their backsides at the opposing players.
Speaker 2: Okay, is this is this the Phoenix Moons.
Speaker 3: It's the Phoenix Moons. I like, I hope we get a video version of this one because the look on your face when the penny dropped is terrific.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, okay, it's not that.
Speaker 3: It's the Phoenix Moons exactly. Phoenix Moons, all right. And the last one for you today, Harry Potter. Fans have nothing but scorn for this NBA team, and it's Dursley family mass Scott's.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, you know, nobody can nobody can stand the Orlando Muggles, can they?
Speaker 3: Oh? Interesting, Muggles is the opposite of magic.
Speaker 2: Or uh Orlando Normals.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're you got the right You got Muggles is the right one. But I was thinking of a different team that it's the opposite of Oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, oh okay, hold on.
Speaker 3: Uh more, specifically the opposite of muggles, right, the people who.
Speaker 2: Have yes so so the Washington Muggles, the.
Speaker 3: Exact wizards, opposite of the Washington Wizards. Very good. I like you found like two answers.
Speaker 2: A lot of sorcery going on in the.
Speaker 3: NBA, neither of what your predators aj.
Speaker 1: That's true, Well a wizard could be that is for an evil wizard. I'm hoping that they're they're positive wizards. Uh, you did well, you did perfectly. You got and you got to right answers in one So that was exciting. Where can people find more of you talking about actual sports teams.
Speaker 2: All sports things, which a lot of the shows I'm on when I'm actually talking about sports do sound similar to this when I talk about sports. So you can find me on Oddball, on the Draftings Network and YouTube, Dan Levochart show, Gojo and Golic I'm on every Wednesday. Occasionally Pablo Tory finds out I forget what I do because there are a lot of different things which I feel very lucky. It's a luxurious problem to have in this industry.
Speaker 1: Excellent and Greg, often, if not always, you have an extra credit for the folks at home.
Speaker 3: I feel like you don't let me out of the puzzle lab. If I can't have an extra cress. Why you're not coming out? Yes, I do have one. This is a challenging one. This hockey team never uses a show.
Speaker 1: Never use as a shift. Okay, I don't know it, but I will think. I have a whole day to think about it. Yes, and you'll get that answer next episode. Before we go, one quick note, our intro phrase today about onion rings and French fries was written by Puzzler listener Mateo Paradise. Thank you Mateo and listeners. You can submit your own at the puzzler dot com and we need it because I'm running out of ideas. Just kidding, I actually I love writing those things. Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast. If you are enjoying it, tell your friends and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles. They will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, here with the extra credit answers from our last episode. We played Random Fandom with Charlotte Wilder. All about two word rhyming phrases. We gave you two extra credits. One was this is a little snack you have when you're playing an indoor racket sport that, of course is a squash gnash. Thanks for playing along with us, and remember the puzzler, like everything else, is a sport,