Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft Show. I'm your host, Derek Brown and with the happy Minnesota Man man himself, the man that we got to discuss. We're gonna look, We're gonna go through all the running backs today. Thorn and I are going to talk about our top ten running backs for this NFL Draft class. But we got to leave this off at the top of the news. Something that is going to impact not only the mood of Thorn Eistro on this show, but all Minnesota Vikings fans out there in the ether in general. Kirk Cousins is gone. He is going to the Atlanta Falcons. Thore your thoughts on JJ McCarthy and the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of the ten best days of my life. Kirk Cousins just gone. I feel like I've been chained down in purgatory and mediocrity the last six years of my life. And that cap Hit has gone, that Albatroz has gone, and the Vikings that you know we're we are now clear of that and now the roster can be remade and everything is clear and open now. And yeah, that a quarterback target, I think is what's gonna happen next in the draft. So in Minnesota now everything is wide open. The draft the next couple of months has gotten a lot more interesting. In my neck of the woods. We're gonna be talking about running backs on today's episode. The Vikings need a running back as well, so that you know that's that's interesting as well.
Speaker 1: For our purposes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's gotten really interesting as far as the draft goes for the Vikings.
Speaker 1: Dude, it's all the things and stuff are churning right now in free agency, so you got to be heading the fantasy pros. Look at all our free agency ride ups. All of these things are going to impact the NFL Draft. We're already seeing some parts and pieces move. Like in our last few moncks we've talked about maybe the Raiders go with the tackle, not anymore. They just signed Christian Wilkins to a big money contract. So as these dominoes continue to fall, it is going to change the complexion of the NFL Draft as well as teams that are wrestling their running back needs right now with signing free agents, So are they going to go that way in the draft. But Thor, let's kick this off, baby, Yeah, all right, Thoris.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: On today's show, we talked about we're going to go through our top ten rankings. But the way that we're going to do this, man, is we're going to discuss the consensus top ten big board, give our ranks, and then we're at the end of this, we're going to talk about some of the guys we might have in our top ten or versus consensus might be in there might not be. Let's kick this off, man, RB ten Permockdraft Database dot Com. Right now is Ray Davis? Where does he fall in your ranks? I'm a little bit lower on Ray Davis.
Speaker 2: Ray Davis a guy I've seen for years and years and years. He has been around the block. We've seen him at Temple, We've seen him at Vanderbilt, We've seen him at Kentucky most recently. And he's been productive for a long time. He ran for a thousand yards at three different schools, and there's things to like about his game. You know, he's one of those like bowling ball bill guys that I typically like. He went into the combine five eight and a half two hundred and eleven pounds, ran a four five two six one two RAS decent athlete.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The athletic profile was was only decent, but it was about what you were expecting him to come in at. UH. And it's sort of part and parcel of his game, like where he's decent sort of at a lot of things, but nothing really stands out about his game that that includes him as a runner and that includes him as a receiver. There there's no element of his game that sticks out and and and I think that's what's gonna go into the next level with Ray Davis. And that's why I'm lower on him, you know, like when when you're starting to stack him up against some of these other runners, that's why you start to put guys over him where they have the receiving utility, right like and and and then also the early down guys. Like when Ray Davis goes and you have him on an NFL roster, I think you're going to have I struggle to see when he's on an NFL roster that he's going to be the best early down guy on that NFL roster. And certainly he is never going to be the best receiving down back on that NFL roster. There's certain things to like about Ray Davis you know, I like some of the early down grinding stuff with Ray Davis's game, and and you know, just as far as the collegiate profile, I like how he fought through all the way.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, like early on his career.
Speaker 2: You know, when he was at Tempo, he's at Vanderbilt, he was in some really hard situations and he fought through. He was the belcow on those teams. Uh you know, and and he was the marked man and he fought through and whatnot, and he was the only source of offense on those teams. And then you know, and he broke through on a decent Kentucky team last year whatnot. But uh yeah, as far as the NFL utility, I just don't think you're getting a ton of value out of Ray Davis. That's why he's further down on my board down there at running back to Okay, I'm sorry, running back thirteen on my board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're not that far apart. Man, Like I am in line coming the consensus. I have Ray Davis as my RB ten. And this really comes down to this entire class. And I really think that this is a talking point basically outside of probably the top three to four guys in this class. That ranks are going to be all over the place and we're gonna see where draft capital goes. Like, Ray Davis is a guy I don't think that he goes any earlier than probably round five in the NFL draft because, like you talked about Thor like older prospect. Now we've seen that he can handle volume, we saw him mobile, that he showed out in the pass game drills, and because of Ray Davis, Like, I know what I'm getting out of Ray Davis is a guy that he can handle the volume. He can be a three down back if you need him to be. But is he going to walk into any NFL depth chart and be the clear cut best guy for early downs, the clear cut best guy for the pass game. No, But can he handle all those things?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And the thing that I really enjoyed about Ray Davis's film is that I felt like even though he was an older prospect, I felt like I So the reason I came in higher than maybe can well, I'm in line with consensus, but higher than you, is that in twenty twenty three, I felt like we saw a different version of Ray Davis. And you and I had discussed this off air. It's like when you go back and you watch his film at Temple at Vandy, he looked like a different guy. This finally season at Kentucky, I thought he looked trimmor. I thought he looked His burst was a lot better. I do think that when you're looking at Ray Davis's fit for the NFL, you're not gonna want him in an outside or stretch zone scheme. And a lot of that comes back to the testing, but also just his intangibles, like the burst is not there to where you want him running stretch zone for most of most of the game, most of every week, most of his carries. Get him in a gap in power scheme and get him downhill, and you're gonna see the best version of Ray Davis as you possibly can in the NFL. So I think he's a solid back. But this also goes back to speak about just this class in general and the big giant tier breaks after the top five, top seven guys, or maybe that's a little bit different. We'll get through that later on this show man, But coming in and this is a blasphemous ranking, I'm just gonna throw that out there. This is absolutely blasphemous mock draft database right now has Marshawn Lloyd as their RB nine and consensus and I, yes, sir, he is the RB nine in consensus. And I look that that that's that's some kind of crazy sauce to me. I and we'll well, I'm gonna let you lead this. Like all, I kind of quietly, well not so quietly, stew about this ranking the war. Where do you have Marshawn Lloyd in your ranks right now? What do you think about his game?
Speaker 2: Well, you say that my ranking of of Marshawn is blasphemous, like that is that ranking is blasphemous to me? I haven't seen these consensus rankings. That one is stunning to me. The industry clearly has not caught up to certainly the testing. That one indicates to me they haven't even caught up to the tape. That that is stunning to me that they still have him down at nine. That doesn't conform to reality to me at all. Marshawn Lloyd is a guy who is productive at two different schools, two different USC's, you know, going back to South Carolina and then at USC last year and then the I mean the thing is he went and proved the athleticism question as well. After he proved the receiving game thing. He is addressed both of the questions about his profile during the pre draft process. That's what we're looking for these prospects to do, you know. I mean, you have the tape. That's the most important thing for any prospect. And most prospects are going to come into their pre draft process with some sort of question, so, you know, some sort of doubt about their evaluation, and you're looking for them when they go to these All Star events and then the Combine or their pro day to address those in some way. With Marshawn, he had the self awareness at the All Star event, Debro. You were the one from our team that interviewed him. He directly addressed it right away in your interview when you asked him what do you want to prove during your pre draft process?
Speaker 1: He came right at it.
Speaker 2: He was like at the schools that I was at, in those offenses, they did not utilize me as a receiver as much as I would have liked. What they did do was use him as the running back. They used him quite a bit as that the slashing type guy. We got to see that aspect of his game quite a bit, both with the game Cocks then with the Trojans, but they didn't throw them the ball as much as he would have liked. In mobile, he was very very smooth with that, both running the routes consistently, was shaking the guys in the one on one drills, was very smooth catching the ball. The hands were very good. And then he would transition from the receiver into the runner, transitioning up field very very smooth. So he proved all that different stuff, and I loved his answer to your question with regards to that. Then in he goes to Indianapolis a month later, his rad score nine to nine. And by the way, here's my public apology. I know you wanted it. He brought it up last week with.
Speaker 1: Fitz has been coming for some time. Baby. I'm just gonna hang up and listen. Go ahead, Thorpe. Here here it is.
Speaker 2: So I thought I thought Marsham was gonna run mid four fives and perhaps even high four fives.
Speaker 1: That would be over for four or five three to just be clear.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, it was the one doubt I had about his evaluation. I loved his slashing. I loved his agility, and I love you and I both loved that power and anger that he runs. And I loved the answer he had to that question that you asked him about the anger and the power.
Speaker 1: That he ran with that, he said, well that's you.
Speaker 3: Know, I come from Delaware and we had to we assert ourselves. We come from Delaware, you know, and all that stuff. But he ran a four four six. The kid has a ninety third percentile athletic profile out of four four six. I mean, he blew my socks off with that, and in the thirty six vertical. I mean like he was over the ninety percentile in all that stuff. Of course, you know with the ninety third percentile overall composite that with the tape that is a top five back just objectively, you know, just the data.
Speaker 2: The tape backs that up. The industry will come around to this. Those consensus rankings are obviously behind debro. The last thing I want to say, and then I will kick it to you. I mean, and this kid is five nine two twenty. We are not talking about a small, unfortified guy. He put that athletic profile up at two twenty. Okay, he is over the side threshold. I have a comp de bro for Marshawn Lloyd that that I like, and and you're you're the the lead guy banging the drum for Marshaan, So I want to I want to try this on for size for you and see what you think. Okay, D'Angelo Williams, what do you think?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Oh, that's that's that's absolutely just that. That's pure gold. Dude.
Speaker 2: I love the load of the.
Speaker 4: Ground slasher and then you know, yeah he can he can still, he still has that power, but I love that slashing ability and you come in low and he can he can do the bowling ball thing with you.
Speaker 2: I love the dichotomy of of those two things. And I like that he showed us as well, both the juice with the receiving utility, the two sort of questions that that at least I had coming in Can he prove those things? He proved those things. He's number four for me. He might be in my.
Speaker 1: Top three by the end of this process. I'm just going to start this off with with respect on this man's name. He's my RB one in this process. I'm not backing off of a dude. I know that a lot of consensus, and we're going to talk about Jonathan Brooks and we're going to talk about Trey Benson. I am not saying that they are not talented players. I'm not saying that at all. But we need to put respect on Marshall Lloyd's name for a player that over the last two years has ranked top twenty four and putting this out there for the people in yards have to contact per attempt breakaway run rate PFF, elusive rating. You match all of that with what he showed on tape. And I think that his pass pro gets better with better technique and he gets a consistency. He has high end reps of pass pro on his film. Now as the consistency there right now, no can it come and he be a trusted pass protector in the NFL. Yes, I fully believe that. I think he has a three down skill set. He has the size and the intangibles to be a three down back in the NFL. And not only that, you talked about all the passing utility and him showing out a mobile. Anybody go look up the clips in mobile at Senior Bowl. This man closed two straight practices running wheel routes or whip routes and dusting fools in his wake. To me, this is a back that can lead this class. I love his game. I love what he brings to the table. He showed all of that out in his testing. There is no part of the process thor that Marshawn Lloyd has not crushed. Do I want him to be a twenty five carry guy every single week? No? Do I think he can hold up to fifteen to eighteen carries per week. And you get him the pass game utility and get him up into that twenty to twenty two touches per week, you surely believe. I do believe that man, Marshawn Lloyd is my RB one in this class. Not backing off of it. I think the dude is a stud. I've had a third round grade on him before the NFL Combine. That grade has not changed and people are going to be surprised how high he goes in the NFL draft. Man, So, I love the kid, But just to point out his stature and how he weighed in at the next guy up in consensus ranks, here is the RB eighth Aldrich Estimate who weighed in a two twenty one went out performed in the combine well in the jumps and the broad and things like that, But he bombed the forty thor where do you have him in your ranks right now? Because I'll I'll tell you right now, dude, he's not inside of my top ten with that forty He is my RB thirteen. But where does he fall for you?
Speaker 2: He's still hanging inside my top ten barely. He's at RB nine. I So, yeah, just hanging in there. Comes into the combine five eleven and a half to twenty one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that the good jumps, but yeah, five seven the ten yard split was not very good as well. He did have eight point five nine raz you know, salvage by the jumps whatever. I like. The power that he runs with that is the calling card with him. He is an early down power back. That's what he does. It's the vision. It is the tackle, breaking the patients behind the line. That's the stuff that you like. He's going to churn out those yards between the tackles.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's what he is going to do for you. The rest he's gonna the piston churning legs. That's the dude. He is the rest of it. He ain't gonna have for you. He categorically lacks the long speed, he lacks the burst. That's what you got. But the two things I'll say for him. In addition, he is still only twenty when he is picked, he will still only be twenty ninety four point.
Speaker 1: Two PFF grade last year.
Speaker 2: But like I said, that utility going over to the NFL, it is confined to that early down work between the tackles, the power stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and two big things that people need to understand. One the reason you brought up ten yard split because I want to illuminate this for people. Does the forty yard dash is that the end all be all of looking at running backs? So when the forty yard dash is maybe a little bit disappointing, or a guy runs in the four to six, we need to go back to the ten yard split because one of the highest correlations to tackle breaking goes back to what is your ten yard split? And that speaks a lot to players and when we're watching them on film as well as their numbers, they're burst because once you get the carry, you get the ball in your hands, what are you doing inside of that first ten yards? Are you shot out of a cannon or in the case of Addric estimatey are you more like slow molasses? Considering his ten yard split is only the fifty third percentile, So the ten yard split gives him a little bit of life, but it's not what you wanted to see in the disappointing forties, like, Okay, well, how can I talk not so much talk myself into it, but where is the sliver of hope in the straight line speed that I could still look at and say, Okay, the forty yard dash is not great, but what is his ten yard split? Estimate doesn't even offer for us hoping that And the other part that you brought up that I want to expand a little bit is he's going to have to make his money on the early downs because we didn't see any of the pass game utility coming out of Notre Dame for estimate, he wasn't used in that. So if you want to take the limited routes and reps and targets that he had in that and as far as that part of his profile, and you would expand that and say, Okay, I think he can. I really think you're just trying to paint a really rosier picture for a prospect that really is there. So I like, these are the drawbacks of the limitations. And this is a lot of these guys in this class, man, where it's like they're not stand out receivers. Some of these guys that are standout receivers, do we have questions? Like? There are very few And that's one of the reasons I'm so high on Lloyd. There are very few guys, if many at all, in this class where you could say, Okay, he has the three down skill set that we covet, he could be a sixty to sixty five percent snap back at everything works out perfectly, not only the testing, but the draft capital and all of that. Man. But moving over to RB seven per coinsensus, will Shipley coming out of Clemson. I'm gonna let you lean into this thor because Will Shipley is a guy that right now I'm mostly through his tape. I'm not enamored with him like I've got him at RB sixteen. So consensus thor, you're gonna have to tell me, like, what about his game stands out? Where do you have him ranked? Right now? Manh wow, he.
Speaker 2: Is way out of my top ten. This one's stunning for me. I have him RB sixteen. I will go as far as to say this, I don't think Will was there handholding.
Speaker 1: Then we're both at ARM sixteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Will Shipley was not the best running back on Clemson's roster. Oh last year that was fakes to start off here, baby, Yeah, you know Will Shipley, he's sort of forwarded as you know, this dual guy. You know, like he can he can catch, and he can run, and he can return kicks and all this. UF I don't think he's gonna be like the best dude at any of that stuff on his NFL roster. I think you can find a guy who's better at all that different stuff. Plus he's coming off in a catastrophic knee injury from his last game in the bowl game, which was on a kick return where he like flipped over and then he caught his knee by the sideline whatever.
Speaker 1: So everybody talking about fading Jonathan Brooks because of losing the rookie season, keep that same energy for Will Shipley, just for keeping it one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's again, it's a prospect that I wouldn't liked much anyway, right, Like, yeah, it's an uninspiring like Justin Jackson, remember him coming out of Northwest.
Speaker 1: Here, Like I actually really like Justin Jackson. He was he was a powder keg man.
Speaker 2: Like a guy like Dad that returns kicks would sort of be like that kind of phylum is sort of who I'm thinking about for Shipley. But it's just someone who's sort of decent at a merely different thing. But again, when I'm projecting these guys forward to the NFL, I want you to be the best at whether it's this thing or that thing, or preferably multiple different things. I don't see that out of Shipley. And he wasn't able to go, of course, an athletically test because of that injury. I don't think he would have tested as an elite athlete either. That's certainly not what I saw when I saw him on the field. I think he would have tested as a decent athlete, not a bum one, but definitely not the elite one that we needed to see for him to force his way onto the field and to be a difference maker. I'm surprised by that. I think that that is indicative where he is on that consensus ranking of the school he went to. His recruiting pedigree and the way he was forwarded there, but not his actual talent level.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with anything you just said. I mean, because Will Shipley, it's before I even get to the film on a lot of these guys, I always start with pulling up the metrics, and you're trying to marry the film and the metrics together and create you know, and I know you do this as well, So I'm kind of speaking for both of us here, but we try to marry both of these entities together and create the most complete picture of a prospect and a player's skill set that we can. So when I pull up the metrics, like they kind of tell the tail on some of the parts of a game of like, okay, is this guy a tackle breaker? Is he somebody that may be like ooh, I've really got to pull up the film because the numbers are screaming at me. That's not the case for Shipley. Man, He's got some rough numbers. It's not great, dude. Like you're looking at his entire collegiate career three point one yards of the contact per attempt. That's not good, man, And especially when you look at also his final season at Clemson two point nine yards of the contact per attempt as well as his breakaway run rates are not great either. I mean, it's just his entire prospect profile from an analytics standpoint, is flooded with some par numbers.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be your airback. His elusive rating last year fifty one point five.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not good. And you talk about like his pass game utility tour, his yards per route run never went above one point zero six and actually was below one point zero in his final two seasons. As well as his breakaway run rates, we're at thirty four percent or lower. And just for everybody context wise, that's not good. Like that is middle to bottom end of any class that you pull up.
Speaker 2: So and he's he's horrible in pass pro now, so it's like you're trying to figure out what is he how you.
Speaker 1: Get him onto the field, What is it? What is that that gives him on the field. I don't see it, man.
Speaker 2: You know, honestly, I might have him ranked too high, you know, at running back sixteen. I actually disagree with you, Like, I mean, consensus ranking is absurd.
Speaker 1: It's it's very hard to find a part er piece. Besides, again going back to the helmet scouting where you're like, Okay, he really deserves this type of ranking as well as I mean, really, what party are you you clinging to to even rank him there? It's like it's not in the analytics, it's not in the Royal counting stats. And you got injury stuff on top of this, and the pass per USUF like where where is it? Man?
Speaker 2: And and just like you know, when when you're thinking about Shipley as a prospect, it goes without saying that he's not going to be like the early down guy, So it's like you have to think about like he's going to have to make it as like the receiving back who maybe he returns kicks. So you're you're comparing him against the prospects like, uh, Dylan Lobby, Tyrone, Tracy, maybe Grendo.
Speaker 1: Uh you know different guys like that, Uh wait, Acond, even Michael Wiley, if you want to go, maybe Frank goreb you know different, maybe Schrader.
Speaker 2: You're putting him above those guys.
Speaker 1: What can't Yeah, him.
Speaker 2: Coming off an injury and and his profile on his tape, what what is is he done that is better than those guys? Like I don't know how you can do it. Some of those guys have tested like athletic freaks. They all have the Some of those guys have the statistical profile either that or they have tested like like freaks.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't you know. Some people are I think a lot of people. Certainly, the consensus feels like he is a lot to get drafted. I don't know about that. I would be more concerned about that.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, and I'm looking at so like when you're on mock draft database, you can kind of go into a guy's profile and see the range of where he's at. Even more recent mocks and things like that have him anywhere from like round four to round five. I still think that's incredibly generous. Like I think you're looking at a round six guy and probably more likely a UDFA. I mean, do you disagree for her?
Speaker 2: The only way he's getting in that those late rounds I think is on the name value or a personal relationship with double Sweeney Clemson alum in a.
Speaker 1: Department Like yeah, and I don't want to bag on the kid, like we want to see all these guys get drafted have successful careers. But again, when we're talking about their skills and stuff. It's like, where what's the part or piece that any NFL team is going to look at and say, you know what, that's the role that you could fill for our team. That is the special special sauce that you bring to the table and how you're going to win in the NFL. Man, and I just I really don't see it. But speaking of special sauce and a guy that is basically like the energizer bunny, he has crushed the entire process and this consensus ranking. Again, I'm not gonna be alone in saying this is blasphemous. The RB six right now, per consensus, is mister Jalen Wright running back out of Tennessee. Or I think I've effectively wound you up enough about Jalen Wright. Go ahead, I'm just gonna unleash you upon the people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This this one is the opposite. This one is too low, too too low. Yeah, Jalen Wright is my RB two. The Yeah, the athletic profile demands that he's in the top three. He's a guy who does not have any tread on the tires. He's early on that developmental curve and he just tested like an absolute freak at five ten and a half two hundred ten pounds, nine point eight raz four point three eight forty thirty eight inch verts over eleven foot broad and last year ninety one PFF grade overall, ninety one point two PFF run grade. The pass pro grade was solid. The kid can catch, he can do all sorts of different things. Now you have to put in the you have to put in a couple standard caveats with someone coming out of the Tennessee offense. It's a Mickey mouse offense where they spread with anyone coming out of the Tennessee offense with you know, we've talked about the quarterbacks coming out of it, we talked about the receivers coming up out of it.
Speaker 1: People did not like our Jalen Wright, our Jalen Higatt takes last year. But you know I digress anyway, go ahead back to Jaalen.
Speaker 2: Right, but we were right, right, yeah, But like with the running backs, they are facing consistently thin boxes, right, and so you know, right, you know, when he was going in there, he was facing the thin boxes, and so you know he got to face those when and the lanes, you know, he got to face those, right, and so then he would get to the creases and whatnot like, and that's what he's looking for. He's a straight line burner who is looking to hit the dingers. He's he's sitting back in the batter's box. He's sitting back there on his heels. He wants to hit grand slams. You know, as a runner, you can probably think of him. It's not wrong to think of him as as a Tevin Coleman type.
Speaker 1: As a runner.
Speaker 2: He's sitting back there in the batter's box. He's looking for that crease, and like I said, he wants to run in that straight line, hit a thinger. He'll try to make one guy miss if he has to. But then he wants that straight line. He wants to start a race in angles one by one, and boy can he do it because he has world class wheels, as he showed in Indianapolis. But he also he's gotten some comps which are apocryphal. But he has drawn some comps and also they're apocryphal. But also because of the Jersey uh and also because of sort of the late breakout and the lack of tread and the rotation he was in to Elvin Kamara. But he don't see it at all. I don't see it either at all. But he also has some of that receiving utility he was in that three headed monster thing.
Speaker 1: But I don't see that either.
Speaker 2: But you do have to say he does have some of that receiving utility he was in the three Headed Monster. The he you know again, he has less tread on the tires whatnot, And the receiving utility he has more of it than he was able to show. Because of that. He is not Elvin Kamar. We have to say, you know that straight away, But he's Tevin Coleman, I think, with a bit more receiving utility than you got out of Tevin Coleman, but not Elvin Kamara. But this is a very very talented kid with not much tread on the tires. Where the developmental arrow on this kid is pointing way up.
Speaker 1: I love Jalen Right, like if if Marshawn Lloyd was not in this class, he would be my RB one in this class. We're hand holding man. The Jalen Right is my RB two of this class. I freaking love his game. He's eviscerated this entire process. We're looking at a running back that was fifth and yards of the contact per attempt, eleventh, breakaway rate thirteenth in PFF elucid rating. And we are we already talked about he can pass protect and he's an asset in the passing game. I've heard heard some really good comps on him, the one that kind of stood out to me, So I'm not going to take credit on this one. Now, I will say, as the caveat to this, I don't think that he is as well refined as a route runner to truly earn this comp because so what all we've seen so far from him at Tennessee in the passing game was utilized as a checkdown option. He wasn't in the slot, he wasn't running wheel routes, he wasn't running angle routes. If he did some of that stuff, it wasn't a ton It wasn't a staple of his game. Is he still a weapon? And can he evolve into possibly being this type of player maybe the really interesting one that I've heard thor recently because of his size and now his testing, because you and I both knew beforehand he was going to run in the four threes, and now people are coming around with this The most recent comp I've heard from him or heard about him was Jamiir Gibbs, and I don't hate it, but I will say he doesn't have the pass game chops at this point in his career that Gibbs did when he was coming out, So on it. And I'm gonna throw out my comp for him, which I know you're probably gonna hate this, because I know you were not a fan of this prospect, But stay with me here. The juice that he has, the tackle break ability and the four three speed. My com for him right now is some hybrid of maybe Jamiir Gibbs, but the guy that I think he's most closely related to is JK. Dobbins. Go ahead, I'm prepared for you to hate that. Well, you love JK.
Speaker 2: Dobbins, so I know that that's.
Speaker 1: The healthy He's talented, dude. I like talent.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, So just so people know that that's not derisive coming from Debra. That is a big compliment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big compliment. Not so much from Thorpe, but it's a big compliment for me. Man Like I like Dobbins. Unfortunately hasn't been able to stay healthy. But we cannot sit here and say that he's not explosive, he can't break tackles, and he's not an incredible early down runner. And I think, Jalen Wright, again, what kind of grade do you have on him? Because for the entirety of this process, I've had a third round grade on Jalen Wright. Are you with me on that?
Speaker 2: I would say either.
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 2: No, I would say, la, you're higher, Well, yeah, I would say late second.
Speaker 1: Or early third. Yeah, yeah, all right, let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you look at the boards of people out there, you know, with Benson and right, you know, way up there, and the athletic profiles of those two guys, I think we're getting the first running back off the board in the second round, and I think, you know, the odds on favorite for that is clearly Trey Benson. So you know, I think he's going to go in the second round, and I think the second, you know, running back is I would bet that he's going to go in the second round. I think that there's a decent chance that that's right. So yeah, I mean there's a decent shot. I think that he goes late second or early third. So that's that's what I think. Two other contextual things that I'd say about right that I heard that I can put out there.
Speaker 1: He had the risk injury.
Speaker 2: At the end of the season at Tennessee, which is the reason that he couldn't go to Mobile. I heard that that was cleared at the combine. He got a total clean bale health and he was able to go through all the the you know, obviously he had a very good testing and everything like that, but he the doctors totally cleared him. I also heard that his interviews were really good. Teams. I thought he was a dog and everything like that. So the interview process went very well for him as well. So he was a big winner during the process.
Speaker 1: He's a stud man. He's him and Marshawn Lloyd, I think are two of the great and we'll get to other running backs. I know you're a trade Benson lover, like there are a small handful of running backs in this class to where I feel like if you were an INNFL franchising, you don't want to go out and you know, open up the pocket book and sign one of the guys that already has like a lot of work on his ledger and maybe not as much tread on the tire. There are guys in this class. Now, I know everybody is not loving this RB class. I'm not telling you that. You know, I'm head over heels for it. But the top end of this class still has a lot of really exciting talent and guys that can make a difference. Man.
Speaker 2: But I have a I have a jailing right calm free you that I would like to try right now. It's it's not perfect. I'm still you know, workshopping a little bit, but you gonna make no, it's not gonna make you mad. It's a blast from the past with with some local flavor here in Minnesota. It's not perfect because it only works for one aspect of his game. But I think as far as running in the athletic profile, it works. He reminds me as a runner, and again the athleticism of Michael Bennett.
Speaker 1: You remember, Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 2: He's a better receiver than Michael Bennett, which is why that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: But like just as a runner and.
Speaker 2: And the body type and an athlete and the straight line thing.
Speaker 1: The burner, that's where it works.
Speaker 2: But if you think about Michael Bennett coming out of Wisconsin, if if that guy was a better receiver, and he had to stay health right and could say healthy that would be jailing right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't hate that at all. Man. And for everybody, go go to YouTube, pull up the highlight clips of Michael Bennett. Dude could play, just couldn't stay healthy, you know, didn't have the type of career that probably his talent profile should have allowed him to have. But getting off of Bennett and look, man, I gotta tell people again about Reality Sports Online. Man, if you are not playing on this, I don't know what you're doing. This is the most powerful fantasy sports platform in the known universe where owners can get to build and manage their fantasy team like an NFL general manager. Have you tried it yet? I'm guessing you probably haven't. But you need two people. It's time to see what all the buzz in the dynasty community is about. Free agency, multi year contracts, rookie draft, multi team trades, franchise tags, contracts, extensions, first round rookie options, automated contract and salary cap functionality. Baby, you think this sounds complicated, it's really not. The best thing about Reality Sports Online front office is that it doesn't take any more time than a standard league. It just requires more strategy. You think you're among the fantasy elite, Well, this is the platform to test your metal. You're still not sure, test out the general your general manager skills for free and a mock free agency auction right now, use the promo code Fantasy Pros receive a ten percent discount on your team or league today. That is the promo code Fantasy Pros for a ten percent discount on your team or league today. Fantasy just got real at Reality Sports online dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, Thor Debro, we might have to we might have to do a league. I've been getting d ms about Reality Sports.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna have to leave. We're gonna have to it out. Now, here's the thing. Should we have to co manage the league? I feel like you and I should have to co manage.
Speaker 2: I want to beat you.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, well, okay, you're gonna be sad. That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No, I want to be I want to be in the league.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well you know when I'm actually in the league, you can't call the team the Fighting Debros. We know we know how this goes. Okay, you're not going undefeated. You are going to have to sign some players. This is not gonna go how you think it's gonna go, or okay, okay, just so we're keeping it one hundred here. Okay, let's see, let's getting off of thors L's and moving over to the top running backs of this class man, the top five. And I'm gonna say this right now, this consensus is lagging. The RB five per consensus right now remains to be Bucky Irving running back at the organ. And I'm surprised by this only because like, look, dude, I'm gonna toss this to you and let you wax poetic about Bucky Irving and the unfortunate letdown of what he did at the Combine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need we need price check on Aisle consensus. Bucky Irving rank.
Speaker 1: Where do you have him rank before you get into his game? Because I've got him at RB eleven and I still feel like that's too high, Like I'm probably gonna bump him down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have him at RB fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about right.
Speaker 2: I think I'm the people the people that are trying to salvage him after the Combine performance are are tossing out Kyron Williams, and I appreciate it. I appreciate the effort. Kyraen Williams would be the one guy. You know, we talked about that.
Speaker 1: You remember that, right, we talked about that when we were talking about we previewed the combine and we said that that was coming. Yeah, if he was if he ran slow, people were going to toss out the name of Kyrien Williams. Go back and check the receipts, people, but anyway, go ahead them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's because that's the one guy of the last eight nine years at that size that tested that way, that had success.
Speaker 1: So it's literally the only guy that you.
Speaker 2: Can point back to that had fantasy success that that tested that way. Here's the problem though, Kyrien Williams. I want you know, it's like Kyen Williams was a friend of mine. I served with Kyrien Williams and and Bucky you're you know Kyron Williams. Kyen Williams at Notre Dame was a hell of a pass blocker for for one, Uh, he did different things that that ky or that Bucky did not do. Bucky is not that fortified. Uh, you know, as far as his entire skill set right, Like, yes, they're similar size and the similar athletic profile. Kyrone was in my opinion. First of all, the skill set was, like I said, more fortified, but also just like the past pro thing was the one thing where you could project with Kyron and it's like, okay, he's going to be able to stay on an NFL field because of that, along with the receiving skills. So I didn't think that Kyrone was going to be able to be an early down runner in the NFL because of the lack of athleticism and lack of size. That was the thing he was able to overcome, at least in my mind with my evil, But because of his ability to pass, block and receive, I did think he was gonna be able to hang in the NFL. Bucky. The only thing he's got, it's the receiving thing in the feet. He is a terrible pass blocker and that is going to continue to be the case. He doesn't have any functional strength. He's small, He was a terrible pass blocker at Oregon. He obviously lacks the athleticism speak to that. He measured in five nine two in Indianapolis three point seven to two. Raz ran a four five to five at that size.
Speaker 1: Pretty bad.
Speaker 2: One five to four ten yard split, twenty nine point five vertical.
Speaker 1: Boy, I think you could match that. Possibly, maybe I might be able to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nine to seven broad jump. He didn't do the three con. I'm sure we'll see that at his pro day. He's gonna have to do good in the agility drills to drum up some inner as just a really really bad workout. Now, the things that you like about his game, he is a good receiver. He is he runs good routes, he has good hands, and he's an efficient player. And I'll give this to him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: As far as a runner, he was even an efficient runner between the tackles at Oregon and outside the tackles. He was a good runner in college. I just don't know how that translates. I don't think that that translates to the NFL level.
Speaker 1: The way he was.
Speaker 2: Able to do it at Oregon was by making people miss. He has good feet, he has really good feet. Without the athleticism, how is that going to translate, Well, we'll have to see it's it's probably gonna have to be as a receiver in the NFL level. But you know, again without the pass pro element to go with it, the kyn had with him. But like I said, at Oregon, he he can make people miss what whatnot. But yeah, that's gonna have to be in space at the NFL level. But that's what you like he brings with it a bit of contact balance. Is that going to be a quadruple a thing where you know, you know in college he could do it, but you know at the NFL level some of those arm tackles that he was able to sort of get by. At the NFL level, everyone is going to be able to take him down.
Speaker 1: We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: I like the feet, but yeah, that the lack of athleticism could be negating at that size going to the next level.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree man, And just high bo on Bucky Irving going back to his ten yard split, I think he gives you a little bit of hope or at least Bucky Irving stands because it was sixty eighth percentile. But again, when you marry this with his forty yard dash, you marry this with the inability to have the burst and the explosion, Like his vertical jump with four was fourth percentile broad jump is twenty six percentile. Like his profile when you look at it from an analytics standpoint, kind of lays out exactly who he is as especially as a runner, like did he put up good numbers in the last two years but ninth and seventeenth in yards out to contact per attempt? Yes, Now he can run on the interior. He he does have the ability to. He gets up to top speed fast. He's more quick than fast obviously, as we're talking about here. And once you get him into the second level of the defense, can he shed arm tackles?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can he run with not power? But can he be elusive? Sure? But if you get him within the first like two to three yards of the line of scrimmage, before he gets headed steam built up, he follows like a house of cards man, And looking at the athletic testing and his analytical profile, it all comes back to this, I think personally, and I'm not one to seene here and you know, kind of toap my own comps here, but he really reminded me of this player who had a very short window of NFL legitimacy. I love the guy and I love what he was able to do in a very short extint. But the guy that Bucky Irving reminded me of was justin Forcet. So I mean, you know, we're gonna we're gonna see where he goes in the NFL draft. I don't think that he's gonna sniff round three, round four. I think he needs the short area stuff to even salvage like getting into round five. I would not be shocked, considering this entire process, if he falls out of the draft, but we'll we'll we'll see how that plays out. Moving over to the RB four per consensus, thoer a man that we've talked about on previous episodes and he really just unfortunately was has come into the NFL and the wrong era, and that is Braylan Allen. What are your thoughts on Braylon Allen and where do you have him ranked right now? I've got him as my RB seven because I think there are parts to his game that that you know, we can like. But curious, where do you sit on Braylan Allen?
Speaker 2: Braylon he is in my top ten, but barely he is my RB ten. All right, big hammer back, yeah, six sixty uh one?
Speaker 1: Thing you like?
Speaker 2: He played in two vastly different schemes in college. You know, he started out in Wisconsin's Classic I formation power run scheme. Then Wisconsin brings in Luke Fickel, and then Fickle brings in Philongo who had the shotgun spread throw it down field thing which thins out the boxes. Uh so Braylan Allen was able to run against some of those lighter boxes out of the shotgun. I like that that Braylan has lighter feet for his size, and he has some long speed. He has good speed for his size. My question with him is the vision. Uh some who is the guy years ago? Do you remember Kaylin bolage.
Speaker 1: Cale when carry he ran like he had like he was out of what was that movie bird box? Like he had the blindfold one to save his life. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember when Kylen Bolige came out. I I comped him to uh mister Magoo because he had all the physical attributes, but likeeez, yeah he he he looked like Adonis. But every time he would run like a million miles per hour right into the back of his guard offensive guard when there was a hole like right next to it. You know, that was like, you know the size of whatever the Grand Canyon. Braylon Allen's not that bad, but the frustration you feel sometime watching him, it's it's a kin to that because he he's so talented and he makes strading decisions behind the line like that. And you got to see a little bit more last year in the Longo system because it's more spread out in the when with the system before a couple of years before that, everything was so condensed, so uh, you know, you didn't get to see it quite as much, although you got to see the manifestations of it sometimes, but the the vision and the decision making not quite as good with that, and then the the versatility isn't there with him not great in past pro. And as a receiver, he's merely just the dump off guy, right Like you know when when the quarterback is under duress, Braylan Allen's the guy who's like standing there and then he just dumps it off because the quarterback is gonna get sacked, and then Brayleen Allen will.
Speaker 1: Get tackled right away.
Speaker 2: That's who he is like as a receiver corral and then he'll get tackled right away. That's about it. I've seen him get camped to AJ Dillon. I disagree with that. AJ Dillon, yeah, coming out of Boston College was way better than Braylan Allen coming out of Wisconsin. He was a better athlete, he ran harder. Uh. AJ Dillon had better vision, and AJ Dillon was also way more physical, which is another nitpick I have about Braylon Allen. I feel like Braylan Allen he has the size and he has the power, and he has that size speed thing where he should be able to just run people over. But in the open field sometimes I see him trying to like outmaneuver people and it's like, bro, just run him over. You know, it's the shortest path, just you know, in AJ Dillon had no errors about that.
Speaker 1: He would just.
Speaker 2: Lower the shoulder and run him over. I see Dylan as more of like a ninety version of like a James Connor coming out of Pitt is more what I see him, and that that's why I have.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Braylan Allen.
Speaker 2: I see him as like a you know, a ninety percent discount ract version of like James Connor coming out of pet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I could see that man, and I think that, like, yeah, we've talked about it off air, like the spots where he tries to get a little bit too cute with his footwork and instead of dropping your shoulder and the size that he is running over somebody. And just to put some respect on AJ Dillon's name, I know his NFL career has not turned out how a lot of people wanted it to, but still coming out ninety eighth percentile speed score and burst scores. If Brylan Allen had anything close in his back at the ranks, yes, thanks you. He ducked that run, he would have tested.
Speaker 2: I feel like that alls us money for the old we had on that those forty props he.
Speaker 1: Opened it, what four four nine four seven like or no, it's four four nine in the four fours and I'm like, there's no way he's gonna run this man like it. Just I think he's probably got four to six speed. I think that he does. I think he's a bit better than yours.
Speaker 2: But he is not a four fours guy.
Speaker 1: No, he that's ludicrous. Yeah. Where his props open were? Yeah, I do disagree on that. And then I think Braman Allen does like fall into like as the early down component of a committee in the NFL. I think that with a guy his size. I think you wanted to gate some of the happy feat and the dancing that he does, which really just get him downhill, put him in a gap, power him, get him downhill like that. Yeah, and and really could he take his game to another level if he were to make some of these changes possibly? Is that still going to help him in today's NFL where the pass game utility is not going to be there. He's not going to be a weapon in the past game. So can he actualize a three down skill set or at least a three down roll? No, I don't see that happening. So, Braman Allen, I'm sorry. Like, if you would have come into the NFL in the nineties, yeah, some team would have fallen in love with you. You probably have gone round two around one of the NFL draft. Everybody be talking about how you can handle three hundred and fifty carries a year and all this kind of stuff. But it's just the wrong iteration of the NFL. We're not in that era. Yeah, he missed the era, like and it is what it is. Man. So I think the kid has skills, but to type cast him into fitting into today's NFL, I think it's a little bit tougher man. But moving over to the RB three per consensus, Blake Koram. He had the testing, which I mean, well, I'm not gonna say his testing was great, but I don't think he totally bombed the NFL combine testing. He has the box score measureables, all the counting sets that you want, and he's coming out of the big school. Or where does he follow in your ranks? Because I want to say we're handholding here, like I've got him at RB six, Where do you have him at same?
Speaker 2: I also have him RB six. Blake Coreham measured in five foot seven and six eight, so just under five foot eight, two hundred and five pounds with the raz of eight five ran a four to five to three, but with very good agility scores, which is not surprising when you watch him. He's one of those guys who hides behind the line of scrimmage, and then he's the bowling ball guy with the darting agility, so that's sort of his game. And then he runs with decent power as well, so he's gonna run through the arm tackles and he makes it difficult for you to square him up, so you know, he can force the off angle attempts and the arm angle attempts and you know, and again he hides behind that the offensive linem until the last second. Stuff like that. That's the stuff he does good. As a receiver, he's just the guy. You know, he's the outlet guy. He's not gonna run you know, dynamic routes anything like that. He does have reliable hands, but he's just you know, sort of the the tertiary dump off guy when you need that whatever. Last season, he was coming off the injury late twenty twenty two, had the slow start to the season. He had a We talked about this deebre offline very wonky statistical profile last year.
Speaker 1: Bybe because I'm gonna say it was bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm gonna call it wonky. He had, he had the slow start coming off the injury, and then he had the dominant run blocking offensive one of the more dominant run blocking offensive lines you'll see Michigan had. I think I'm citing this off of memory, it was either seven or eight offensive lineman that Jim Nagy had on the preseason so over the summer the senior ball watch list, so not the five guys in the starting lineup. They had either two or three backups. They were also on the Senior Bowl watch list whatever. And that Michigan offensive line was built to be a run blocking, mauling unit and they were so, you know, and when people talk about that that offense, the way it was constituted, it was run on first down, run on second down, and then when they threw they put McCarthy. It was usually on third and long, you know, And that's what what McCarthy was really good at.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: But Blake Korum's stats, if you look at it, he would get like four yards before contact, which is not his fault. It's just Michigan's offensive line reset the line of scrimmage four yards forward every single time. And then you know that then that's where the sort of the play started.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Blake krm.
Speaker 2: You love the agility, like I said, you you like that that he can do that hide bind the line of scrimmage, and then you like that he can make a guy miss. I like his vision. I like his feel a little bit limited in terms of the versatility. Uh you know, I I don't know how much you're gonna get of him as a receiver. I think you're always gonna have someone on the roster who's better than him.
Speaker 1: As far as the.
Speaker 2: Passing down stuff, I do think he is going to be his team's early down type guy. I've seen a lot of the connections between him and Harbaugh with the Chargers.
Speaker 1: I think that would be cool.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, I do think that, you know, he's going to be the starter for his team as the early down guy. But yeah, for me, he's RB six. There are some limitations there. I comp them that Devin Motor Singletary, a running back who I very much like coming out of FAU. I got him RB six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we're we're kind of now. I went a little bit higher him with the comp. I like the Devin Singletary comp. I think the the Rolls Royce version of that player is Frank Orr and that's who have my com for Blake Korum and looking at his skill set. The big thing that scares me about Korum, and I know that everybody's gonna talk about, Okay, he was dinged up in all A twenty twenty three, So toss that out the window. You could toss it out of all the window all you want to, but it still happened and saying that he was dinged up and saying that he was coming back from the knee injury. Here's the other side of that optimistic coin. What if he doesn't get that burst back. What if he doesn't get that second gearback? Because if you watch Blake Koram tape from twenty twenty one versus twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, he's a different back he didn't have. Now, are is the footwork still there? Yes? Is the vision still there? Yes? Is the creativity at the second level still there? All things yes? In twenty twenty three, the problem is is that he is not a top shelf athlete. He is not a guy that could run a four to three, four to four. So you lop off the top part of that juice and what comes or what was something that? Okay, it's above average Now he's matt average to mediocre. In looking at what his burst looks like and his tackle breaking ability, he legitimately in twenty twenty three four was just a guy that got what was blocked and that was it. And that's not me being unkind to what happened to him. But in the fifteen games he played in twenty twenty three, dude, in nine of those games he failed to force two or more mistackles two not a ton two on fifteen twenty carries, all these types of workloads, and he didn't even surpass even on a per touch basis in nine of those fifteen games two point four yards of to contact per attempt, which is in a terrible rate, an abysmal rate if you look at twenty twenty three, and this trend started even before twenty twenty three. So if you want to even toss out the knee injury and say, okay, well we'll give him a mulligan for twenty twenty three twenty twenty two, out of all running backs with at least one hundred carries, fiftieth in yards of the contact per attempt, breakaway run rate again fiftieth, pff elucidrating fortieth. His tackle breaking metrics have dropped in each of the last three seasons at Michigan. You cannot just ignore that, explain it away and pretend like it doesn't happen. I'm not saying the kid is a bum. He has skills and he has talent. But comparing this version of Blake Koram to the version of twenty twenty one Blake Korum. Who if if that was the version we were getting, and I knew it one hundred and fifty percent knew that we were getting in the NFL, the twenty twenty one version of Blake Korum, he'd be a top four back in this classroom me like top three, Like I would love Blake Korm. I would have him ranked aggressively. I would love him. But that's not the case, man. So just talking about him being real about where he's at in his career, how his career in college transpired, and what those numbers look like. I'm gonna be blow consent. I mean, you and me are handholding, but I think versus consensus, we are obviously lower than consensus on Blake koram Man. But enough talk about Michigan Wolverines on this We spend too much time every week on Michigan Wolverines. JJ and Korum. Love to the RB two of this class. A man who comes in here still recovering from a massive knee injury, Jonathan Brooks out of Texas, and he's in the top three, top four running backs of this class. Some people have him as their RB one in this class. I'm not pushing back against that. What are your thoughts about mister Brooks.
Speaker 2: I have him RB three, okay, Yeah, it's too bad that he's say them RB three as well. Yeah, it's too bad. He had the ACL tear in November. We'll see when he comes back from that. But it, you know, not only do you have the injury which which could delay you know, him coming, it deprives him the pre draft process could delay you know him coming into camp as well. He was stuck behind Bijon and Roshan obviously at Texas. That also delayed you know, our ability to see him period. He really only had you know, nine or ten games to break out this past season, and break out he did. He was very impressive in those games, but then he tears the ACL. He's a very interesting prospect in that there's not a ton of standout traits except for things that that are hard to measure. He's six foot tall, two hundred and sixteen pounds, so he's right around the size threshold average athlete. We're not gonna get confirmation of that, but that would be my supposition. You know, I think he'd probably be around average speed. The one thing that I think he'd probably be above average in is the agility. Yeah, where I think we would also agree. The thing he's very, very very good at is contact balance. That's not something that we could measure for in the in the testing. Love his feet, which is another thing that they don't they don't test for. He's a patient and slippery back.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, speed his average, like the burst through the hole that he runs with, and that plays up because of his vision. You know, it's like he makes the decision and and he's always making the right one. Then he gets through really quick, so he's able to capitalize on that immediately. Not a dynamic receiver in terms of the route running, but he's very reliable. He knows what he's doing and the hands are very good. He doesn't drop the ball, so it's like he's above average and a lot of different things. But the feel, the feat, the contact balance, the different.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that are are are good.
Speaker 2: So it plays up those different things, the burst, the vision, different stuff like that. It's too bad about the injury. Different stuff like that gets him down to three on my board with the stud athletes being one and two.
Speaker 1: It might make him a a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: Value we'll end up seeing where he goes once we get to April. But yeah, he's he comes into the process number three on my board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got him at RB three as well. And just looking at his film again, we're not gonna get because of the injury and stuff. We're not getting any confirmation of you know, any athletic testing and things like that. You'd like to see that. You know, he was a workhorse back last year at Texas, handed at least twenty carries in six of his ten full games. And he's got the size to hold up under that volume. Now I know, you know, we can talk about, Okay, well he got hurt under that volume, but it's it's football. Injuries happen, so I'm not going to ding him on that. So he showed that he can hold up under the volume in terms of the efficiency because he was twenty first and yards oft contact for attempt ninth and elusive rating. And I really like Brooks in the sense that it all comes back to the contact balance man, And does he have any one standout trait where you're like, home, man, look at this guy. Go No, I think that he's smooth. I think that looking at his footwork. Again, going back to what you were talking about, I think the footwork and he doesn't jump out when you're watching his film as having these explosive plays, or he looks like he's shot out of a can, and he's just he's smooth throughout the entirety of his runs, and that comes down as a reflection of his footwork, which I think is very, very good, because you'll see him sometimes where he's navigating the hole and whether it's it's a stretch zone run or he's trying to bounce something outside because the the interior was clogged, he could teleport two feet to the left like that. That's nothing like did you see that in his film throughout the entirety of it, where all of a sudden he's he's scanning, he's scanning, and then poof, he's all of a sudden towards the boundary and he's up in his upfield and speaking to the contact balance. I saw numerous runs on his film where the first guy gets him, he's still not going down, like the leg dry for him really stands out. There were two or three runs all the top of my head where I was like, first guy hits him and off balance, he's still churning forward and he kicks up another five to ten yards or after the first contact and the first guy could hit him pretty well, and he's still motoring ahead. And you always hear the term for these running backs a guy that falls forward consistently, and that's what Brooks does. But giving context to that, that goes back to contact balance for guys and finishing runs and leg drive. So can he hold up? Can he be a volume runner if he comes back fully healthy and some of those traits still cross over to the NFL? I do believe that that happens, man, But it really comes down to, like where a team comes down on his medicals and if he were to test and said the testing went extremely well for him, could he have been a second round running back? Possibly? I think he probably settles into the third round unless there's a team that really loves him, like maybe the Cowboys, who have been extremely close to that entire situation with one of their own personal surgeons doing his surgery. So maybe that happens, and maybe that's dal Dallas, you know, answers the running back position in a committee to start out the year for twenty twenty four. But Brooks is a guy that does like considering what he did as a starter at Texas does deserve some of the hype that he still will garner. But onto the RB one of this class per consensus, and I know, I believe he's your RB one of this class, or Trey Benson. I know you love him. How much do you love him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I like him quite a bit. Being RB one, Trey Benson goes to the combine and that's where he locked it in. For me, he went there as my RB one, but that's where he solidified it with the nine to seven seven Ras ran the four to three to nine at six foot, two hundred and sixteen pounds. Last year a little bit of a down season after the true breakout in twenty twenty two. Twenty twenty two is when he broke the PFF charting record for force missed tackles. That's when he really proved it and the dual threat game. He can catch the ball too. Last year there was some wonkey offensive usage, both with the rotating the running backs Jordan Travis also cutting into the running as well. They were trying to pass the ball more as well. You know, Kean Coleman had gone there. They also had Johnny Wilson, whatnot. I'm gonna forgive Trey Benson a little bit for that. Certainly is a freak athlete. He's proven that he came back from the devastating knee injury that he had a couple of years ago at Oregon. He had done that in twenty twenty two. But obviously he is the premiere size speed running back in this class. You love that when he gets into the when he breaches the second level, watch out that that's when he becomes truly dangerous and he can break the tackles like we saw in twenty twenty two. So you love that he has the one cut ability, the ability to evade runs through those arm tackles. Love that different stuff. I love the ability to catch the ball. He's a smooth receiver. He has improved in that era that facet since coming over from Oregon. Different stuff like that. You can line him up outside as well for a screen. Florida State likes to do that, sustable of what Norveld does. You know recall for instance, going back to Memphis Antonio Gibson. You know they like to do that with the running backs. Different the age back, different stuff like that, motion them out and then you throw the ball and then you have the blockers out there. He saw different stuff like that with Benson. Then you get him out in space and then all of a sudden he's trucking up field. Different stuff like that. So I think we're gonna see Tray Benson. You're gonna see that he is a better pro than he was in college. I think you've only seen, forgive the metaphor, but the tip of the spear with Tray Benson. I think he will be the first running back that has taken in April, and I think he's going to have a very promising pro career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we both came down on the same player comp and I'm going to give you the hat tip of this because you came to me with this and I was like, oh, that fits man. But Ryan Matthews, looking at testing, looking at his game, you're higher on Benson than I am. And it's not by a ton I like Benson, but he is my RB four of this class. But the things about his game that I like, you like the speed, you like the home run ability, the knocks on his game, at least turning on the film for me was like, he can get himself into trouble behind the line of scrimmage when he's forced to string multiple moves together and avoid defenders. That's the questions where I had about like his ten yard split. Now he answered some of that with the testing, but again, when you have defenders coming at you, one of them dings, you can you get back to top speed. I look at Benson as more of a really big runway back in the sense that he has the speed to hit home runs. But the areas that I worry a little bit is what kind of offensive line does he get put behind? And with how I see his game. The other part about it is I don't think he's a very creative runner. Now, when you get him into the second level and you have the cutback opportunities, there's a lot of times where he'll barrel forward pick up a few extra yards instead of trying to either bounce something outside cut back against the grain. And some of that just might he might know the limitations of his game, who knows, But I don't see those were you're expecting. Okay, he's got four to three speed and he can flip the field and you're gonna see him just absolutely, just like the creative stuff, like when Kenneth Walker came out, Breese Hall came out, and we're looking at these guys that had that type of speed and they're creating a ton of yards for themselves against the grain and making these big explosive plays. Can Benson hit the home runs? Yes, but I do question some of those things with him. But I know you're kind of chomping the big go ahead, go ahead, and I could see your face. I know you're gonna push back on this. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I have a new comp for all.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see your reaction to this one. Oh, dear, my Ray Benson comp is DeMarco Murray. Oh.
Speaker 1: I like that. I do like that both are upright runners. I like I see it, man, I see it. Well, you're looking at the size, you're looking at the intangibles. I see it, man. And that also kind of comes down to like you're talking about, I don't think he's a he's a special player in the passing game. Murray wasn't either. But how they could translate to the NFL being volume backs and stuff like that, I could see it, man, But that is the top ten consensus running backs. Now, there are a few guys on our board that Thorn and I are gonna run through real quick that did not make the top ten. The one offs here. I'm gonna start this off with my RBA to the class Isaac Grendo, and Grendo's a guy that did not get a ton of volume, did not get a ton of playing time in college. Now, if you look at hit the testing, he's automatically on everybody's board because of the testing and what he did at the combine running the four to three. But and you're gonna hear Isaiah Isaiah pa Checko, You're gonna you hear that in the same sentence with Grindo, I'm gonna throw this out right now. He is not Pachecko. He doesn't run like Pachecko. He's not Pachecko. But the good parts of Grindo's game he's an upright runner. He's a linear runner, tighter hips than maybe you won or you'd expect. But I think the good parts of his game is for a player that did not get a lot of volume, did not get a lot of playing time. I'm gonna specifically point to the last few games of his final season at Louisville, he started to play with more confidence. So when the gap is plugged and he's gonna say, Okay, I'm gonna barrel for try to get the extra yard or too. You saw towards the end and people go pull up the film from the USC game. He ran with more confidence down the stretch and you saw a player that maybe we could see a second level to his game in the NFL that we didn't see in college because he didn't get to play a lot. And the numbers on paper in his final season are pretty impressive thor like fourteenth yards of contact for attempt eighteenth and breakaway rate tenth in yards per route run. I don't think that he's a wondrous, you know, weapon in the passing game, but can he be a checkdown option? Does he have soft hands? Yes, absolutely, but I think his hips being a little bit tight is gonna limit what you could do with him in the passing game. So probably just a checkdown option. But looking at his game, man like, I like him, and I think that the testing that he put up at the combine, I believe that that speed is real, and I think that what we saw out of him in the final few games of his collegiate career. If he was a guy that got had had the starters run in multiple years, maybe we'd be talking about a different player. But your thoughts on Grendo before, I know, you want to bring up Dylan Lobby here next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I had Grenda twelve and obviously opened eyes with the testing, so yeah, he's got to be up there after that, Dylan Lobby. I had eight. The pass game utility I think demands it being up there, the fabulous receiver that opened our eyes and mobile opened our eyes with the tape and then a nine to two rats. So he proved the concept and one of the few guys that did the agility drills. A lot of people were ducking the agility drills at the combine because in Indianapolis they put those at the very end, so a lot of guys were gas and they didn't do it, but Lobby did, so he did the full gamut of it and still put up that the really good testing profile. So I had him eight. Was one guy we didn't hit on, Ija Davis. I had seven. I think he was my my Oh no, actually he wasn't. There's one other guy I gotta get to, but Ija Davis one of my small school guys that I really really like. I come Ija Davis to Tyler l Jeer. I think someone's going to get a big value on Ija Davis. Is Ja Davis six foot, two hundred and eighteen pounds. He's a big, humvy back. Yeah, there's there's not a ton of nuance to him, Like you know, you're not gonna get the receiving who cares pair him with Hell Parham, with Dylan Lobby or you know I can pare him with any sort of receiving back you got. I. J Davis is gonna be your meat and potatoes guy. Uh. He is the power Like he's an upright Tyler Algier. He's an upright running power back. He does some slalom type stuff. Put him in his zone type thing whatever whatever you like.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The thing I love about his tape is like the FCS defenders when they touch him, it was like touching an electric fence, like someone was just like you know, they just peel off them right, like you just get zapped. So I really and he was just fabulous for this undefeated colossus of a South Dakota State team. Uh so he he is super undervalue just because he's coming from the FCS and a super nice kid. We talked to him down a mobile. The other guy that I had on my top ten that was not in the consensus criminal is comani Vidal.
Speaker 1: And we're handholding. We're handholding. He's he's he's both of our RB fives in this class.
Speaker 2: He keeps getting slept on. This kid dominated and he was in the FBS. Yeah, down at Troy, five foot five foot eight, just an eyelash, under five seven and seven eights, two hundred and thirteen pounds, but dominated at Troy, and he handled the workload over the past four years, enormous workload. But then he was awesome in mobile. But the surprising thing is now he went to Indianapolis and he tested awesome as well. Was eighty eight percentile athleticism four four six. He also did the full gamut of testing, and people are still sleeping on him.
Speaker 1: I don't really get it.
Speaker 2: I have him as RB five. I loved kamani Vidal. I comp them to Jalen Warren. I might like, that's what I see when I watch his tape, you know. And I brought this up to him when I was I was talking to him and one of the similarities there you have that both the body type and then they both finished number two in the FBS in force miss tackles there last season in the FBS that Warren when he was coming out of Oklahoma State and then Vidal coming out of Troy. They're testing though, might force me to change that because Warren, the reason he went undrafted was he tested poorly coming out. Vdal has now tested very well, which is the reason that now Vidal is probably going to get drafted. But yeah, I really like Vandal. Vidala is my RB five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we're handholding. He's my RB five as well. The testing really of mys for a guy that I'm gonna have to amend my comp on him. I comped him to Devin Singletary. I didn't give him enough respect as far as the straight line speed because of you know, we kind of we eyeball this based off of what we see on film and stuff, and some of these guys like Vidal, we didn't have access to, you know, miles per hour and things like that, so you're really going off of what your eyes tell you. And for Vidal, I was like maybe high four fives. Now going out there and run a four to four. I've got to change, you know, the flavor of the coffee and stuff for him. But again putting respect on his name, twenty first and pff elucid rating last year three point five two yards of the contact per attempt in the entirety of his kally your career. Very good number. And you know to your point, he's got the jews to run it outside when needed. But I think that his his stuff is he needs to get downhill. He pinballs off guys in the second level, and he's a volume rusher. He proved that he can be a volume rusher. He had at least twenty three carries and fifty seven percent of his final collision season games. So can he hold up considering the size and did he put up the numbers where we wanted to see it? Absolutely? Man, So I like Vadal coming out of the process again, thorn I's RB five of this class. If you're looking at all these running backs listening to this episode and you're running mock drafts on the mock Draft simulator for rookie drafts right now on fantasypros dot Com Slash Simulator. Get those reps in, baby, you're gonna need them for rookie draft season. It is quickly approaching, Thorn and I gonna be back next week to dive further into this NFL draft class. So tune in, then we'll see it. Then we're out here. Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Fantasy Pros