Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guilty and Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host. As always, coming to you on a Monday evening. You guys, we listened to this early in the week than usual on Tuesday, and happy to dive into free agency today with my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what I mean? How you doing today? Steven?
Speaker 3: I am ready to podcast with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Speaker 4: Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Nice, love to see it. We gotta we gotta get the acronyms down to eut B no eu TM. Excuse me u TM. We'll get it, We'll get it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was a great video that the Chargers did.
Speaker 2: The Ravens also added an interview of Jack Harbaugh as well on their channel, so it was a lot of fun. But we'll we're gonna dive into the start of free agency today, also talk about some future needs draft implications maybe if we have time about anything that's.
Speaker 1: Going on today before we dive in.
Speaker 2: As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. The opinions that we expressed on the show are not always reflective of the opinions of the Chargers organization. Instead, it is just that it is our opinions and we're very grateful to have this platform and be able to dive into things like this. So, like I said, we're recording this on Monday evening, the first day of the legal tamp brain period is about to come to an end. It's five PM as of recording this. The start of the new league year is on Wednesday. You guys will be listening to this on Tuesday. So apologies if it's not completely up to date of what we are going to talk about today. But Tyler, I think it's only fair that we discuss the latest news around mister Austin Eckler as it currently stands. He is slated to sign with the Washington Commanders. It is a reunion of sorts with Anthony Linn. And we'll get to some of the Chargers specific news here in a minute in terms of additions and things like that. But I felt that it's only right to start with Austin Eckler because he's given so much to the franchise, and I know it didn't end well. I know he battled through some injuries and things like that. But one of the best and coolest stories of Chargers football over the last twenty years that I can remember, going from an undrafted free agent who was not even projected to be like a practice squad of player to becoming a true core piece of the franchise over the last eight years. So I wanted to give a shout out to Austin Ekler for everything he's done for the Chargers, everything that he's battled through to overcome these you know, the circumstances that were given him, played through some injuries, everything like that, and was one of the most productive players in the NFL over the last seven eight years. So I'm gonna miss WA Washington and play. I'm gonna have to get a new jersey because he is one of my jerseys. But wish him nothing but the best in Washington, and I think it's pretty cool that he is, you know, reuniting with former head coach Anthony Lynn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything but the AFC definitely not the AFC West. So congratulations to Austin Eckler. I hope you have a great rest of your career, whether it's in Washington or if he goes somewhere else after that phenomenal player to watch over several years since he joined the league in twenty seventeen undrafted free agent. Every year a Chargers undrafted free agent makes it, but there's the difference between making it and then being one of the best at your position for several years. And that was Austin Eckler and the moment he stepped onto that field, not worring number thirty, I believe it was number three. He went out there and crushed it and we fell in love with his game, receiving, rushing, special teams, you name it. And from there on he just captivated Chargers fans and stole their heart. So he was awesome to watch. Wishing nothing at the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hunrember sent so well, we'll see how that goes monitor that situation. Like I mentioned, we'll dive into some of the Chargers specific reactions here. And secondly, I think on this list we do have to discuss the future return. All of these vis are not official. Yeah that they are still technically unofficial. They have not been announced and confirmed by the team yet. But mister Alohi Gillman is returning to the Chargers, according to the NFL Network Insiders, on a two year eleven million dollar contract. What are your thoughts here as we kind of talked about solving free agency, solving safety and free agency, excuse me, and the Chargers take a big step forward there by bringing Alohi Gillman back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, problem solved. Congratulations to him. There may not have been a more deserving player. I mean, this guy has fought from being one hundred and eighty sixth overall pick in that draft to now getting this contract and supposedly being with the team for the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: He was my breakout candidate.
Speaker 3: He's the player I thought would break out, and he was doing some good things in the spring, some great things in camp, and he just stole the show the entire rest of the way. I think he got a game ball from us maybe three times this past season. I think he had more game balls from us than anybody else. And he totally broke out. He was tenth the top ten enforcing completion rate, forced fumbles, passes, broken up, wins above replacement, and overall great in twenty twenty three. And I think he's just perfect for what the Chargers need moving forward and moving forward on defense with Derwin James. And here's a quote from Derwin James last year. Last spring, he said, I have a lot of confidence in him as my safety partner. He's a guy that's consistent. Everyone here counts on him. Everyone knows he's going to be where he needs to be. And at this point, I think you and I have watched somewhere between twenty to thirty hours of Michigan defense, the same three, four five games over and over and over again. And it's so apparent with Jesse Minter and this defense and in this scheme, you have to be the scheme.
Speaker 4: You played to the scheme.
Speaker 3: It's not an individual defense where you know, you try to make your plays and leave everybody else hanging out to dry. It's about each other and about playing for one another. And it's so important that you know. I've watched I think eight defensive guys that are draftable from Michigan on defense, and every single one of them, from the best projected player to the guy who might be an undrafted free agent, they all play for each other and their very scheme sound. They're very smart, they rarely make mistakes. They tackle and that's a Lowhi Gilman, so I think he's just a perfect player for the Chargers in general, but also for this defense. I think it's fantastic that he's going to return to the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's great as well.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Chargers hired his former safeties coach from Notre Dame too, so it kind of helps build that continuity, even though he'll be learning a new scheme. I think this is great news, and I think it's a contract that is well deserved in this kind of safety market that's become a little stagnant overall in the NFL. But you look at what Alohi has been able to bring to the Chargers, and it's just that spark club mentality, you know. I felt like any time the Chargers needed a turnover, needed a big hit on somebody, needed a big pass breakup, it was it almost always felt like it was a Lohi Gilman in terms of the coverage players, you know, working alongside Derwin James. So he just has that innate ability to always be around the football, and it's it's a trait that that translates and and it doesn't necessarily automatically equate to like being you know, the most athletic or the biggest player or you know, the first round pick, like although he just has that ability to find the football and make plays. And I think one more reason why I'm excited here is specifically because I think we will see him play a little bit more of his natural position, which is more of like the strong safety position. This year, he had to do a lot of free safety looks this this past couple of seasons because of you know, putting Drwin James around the box and things like that. But I think we've we've kind of learned that there might be some more slot packages in store for Derwin James, which would allow Alohi Gilman to play more around the box, play more, you know, closer to the football and use his instincts, use his ability to make plays on the ball, and get him more active. And I think that's a huge thing for him as well. So, you know, I know that this is a guy who was a six round draft pick, but he's continued to get better and better and better every single year of his career, and I think that can still happen. I think that's you know, this is a guy who can still continue to improve, be a leader in the back end of the defense, be a trend setter, a tone setter, if you will. And I'm excited to see how this pans out because I think this is a great fit for the scheme. I think it's a great contract, a deserved contract. You know, he posted a video on Instagram himself, you know, of him longboarding around his condo, apartment complex, whatever the case is. So he's very excited, as you know, for himself. And I think this overall was a great way to start free agency. And I'm excited to have Alohi Gilling back in Powder Blue.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just go look at the last couple of years. Joe Hartiz talked about he's looking for players. I think he mentioned more specifically the draft, but guys that are always locked in, whether the up thirty or down thirty in the fourth quarter, you name it. Like those guys that are always locked in. And that was a Lowhi Gilman. You know he watched the first few games, watched the Minnesota game. You know, he's covering the Titan Hawkinson. Yeah, and you know, breaks up a pass and he shuts down a run at the goal line, you know, the previous drive which prevents the Vikings from scoring. He gets a fourth down stop against the Packers. He creates interceptions against the Bears. Like, this guy is just a playmaker, and I'm so excited at the keeping him around. You know, last year, I think Khalil Mack, I think inarguably was the best defensive player overall, but Giblan was the spark. Giblin was the spark that generated one turnover, two turnovers or force a turnover on downs that gave the offense a chance.
Speaker 2: Again, yeah, one percent agree there. It was a true pleasure watching him play last year. Take that next step and I think we'll see another big step this year, working with Jesse Minters defense, reunited with his old position coach, continue to build with Derwin James.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's the thing.
Speaker 2: A lot a lot of like safety play is so it's so mental, right, Like it's a position where you really have to rely on in stings and you know high IQ ten and a lot of that is just kind of being in the same place, working with the same people. And this is you know, last year was his first year heading into the season where he was projected to be the starter. This here will be a year two, another year worth working with Derwin James and you know, getting back to some familiar roots. I think it's gonna be huge for him, so I'm really excited about this. Again, the Chargers have not made it official as of recording this. I would expect that to happen at some point soon. But great deal for for a low he great deal for the Chargers. Really excited that they got this done. The next deal that I think we should touch on is the addition of Gus Edwards. The running back market got off to a little bit of a hot start today with DeAndre Swift going to the Bears on on a pretty big deal, and I think that kind of set the tone for they about Josh Jacobs to the Packers. You had Saquon Barkley to the Eagles. We just talked about Austin Eckler, so a lot of moving parts. Tony Pollard to the Titans. So the Chargers end up not settling for but but finding a reunion of sorts with Gus Edwards. They the deal is, according to Tom Pelasero, a two year, six point five million dollar contract. This is a guy that is obviously familiar with Greg Roman as well as Joe Ortiz, the guy who drafted him. So I think this is a great value we kind of talked about this being like the area of running back that the Chargers should be kind of shopping for, if you will, So, Tyler, what are your thoughts about how Gus Edwards fits in the Charge offense going forward?
Speaker 4: Oh, perfectly.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect fit obviously because of the connection, specifically with the Ravens and with Greg Roman. With Greg Roman from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two when Roman was the offensive coordinator, Gus Edwards was tight with Derrick Henry for fourth most rushing yards overexpected per attempt over that span, so it's perfect. Reuniting him with Greg Roman is excellent. The Chargers are obviously going to want to run the ball more and even if not more more effectively, and Gus Edwards certainly helps with that.
Speaker 4: We had weighed different ways the Chargers could go.
Speaker 3: Could they go with one bigger name or several, you know, like mid tiers, smaller contracts like with Gus Edwards or Zach Moss, etc.
Speaker 4: And I think this contract is perfect. It's perfect for the Chargers. And we'll talk.
Speaker 3: About some other moves, but with Gilman with Gus Edwards, and we'll talk about Will Disley in just a bit. The Chargers have now specifically targeted positions that in the draft are very quote unquote week They're not perceived to be great positions in the draft. So the Chargers finding either familiarity or the right scheme fit or whatever in three positions of need they needed to address these in some way. Doing that before the draft is great because now they can go into the draft and say, okay, well, instead of having to reach for XYZ position because we really need one, let's just play the strengths of the draft and go receiver, detackle, off to tackle, whatever it is the Chargers. It's just an a plus start to free agency. Again, we'll get into the other moves and there'll be more for sure, but it's just such a great start. With safety, running back, and tight end reportedly addressed early. Now the Chargers are just set to sit in the perfect spots in the draft for the best position groups. I mean, it's great stuff, great starts so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree to how things have started off so far. And I think Edwards obviously it's a very natural fit. He's played in the Greg Roman offense for the bulk of his career to this point. And you mentioned a bunch of the key statistics there, but also he was fourth in short yardage goal to go success rate in the league amoung qualified backs, and previously the charges running backs were thirtieth. So it was a real weakness of the team was to convert those situations and a lot of it was it just like we talked about all year. It wasn't always the running back issue, right, Like there were just always seemed to be like some random issue that popped up, you know, on fourth downs. It felt like all season long. But Gus Edwards has that ability to just be that hammerhead.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He's a very large running back.
Speaker 2: I think weighs two hundred and forty pounds, Like he is that physical downhill presence and we kind of talked about, you know, some of the other potential running back fits, but Gus Edwards is the perfect fit for what Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh want to do in terms of the you know, early down, short yardage situations. He's obviously has experience there just in terms of wins above replacement because we've revererenced that before. He was twenty eighth out of fifty nine qualified running backs last year. So this is This is not like a you know, this obviously is not one of the top running backs in the league. But I think in terms of his specific role, he can execute it very well. He can elevate the floor of the charters running back room and be able to give them exactly the kind of tone setter that they want. And they want to be able to be physical, get downhill and Gus Edwards, Gus Edwards will do that for you. I don't necessarily think this deal precludes them from signing another running back if they want to go kind of get another cheap running back, and we can talk about that. But I want your thoughts here, Tyler about specifically, maybe like how does this affect the draft at all in terms of the type of running back or maybe some targets that you might have later on, because we talked about, like, you know, circumstances if you draft Derek or if you signed Derek Henry, Like what does that do if you sign Saquon Barkley, what does that do for a guy like Gus Edwards who is gonna be on a short term to your deal? He is not like that true, like RB one, Like what are you looking for now in terms of a draft target.
Speaker 4: For year one.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for someone who is a bit more of a pass catcher or maybe has some sort of home run speed, something that's a bit more explosive and not that Gus Edwards is. But like you mentioned, a two hundred and forty pounds back, bigger guy, short yardage contact, that sort of thing. So go find someone who's moybe stylistically a bit different. If you find someone who's similar, that's also fine too. I totally get it that is a bit more Greg Roman style and Jim Harbaugh's style isn't that physicality. But I think you're looking for someone at different points in the draft who fits that bill. If you're thinking really late in the draft, Like I really like Blake Watson out of Memphis as more of a pass catcher back. Every year there's someone out of Memphis I fall in love with, and they're always good. So Blake Watson is definitely a name to keep an eye on there if you're going that route. But I also would honestly consider the two running backs the Chargers currently have. We'll see, but we haven't seen much either with both of these guys, so I'm curious how HORTI is how Harbaugh roman evaluate these guys, because to me, Isaiah Spiller is best right now as a pass catcher, and I thought that was a parent at least coming out of college, and I thought that that was something that he could really provide to this team while they had other running backs who maybe started.
Speaker 4: He was a really good pass catcher, So I think that kind of could fit.
Speaker 3: And then Elijah Dotson, I just think his specific type is kind of what the Chargers might be looking for if they want a stylistically different player. So while I think that they could address it in the draft, I think it's I think it's someone later on. I think it's a more twitchy, a bit more receiving.
Speaker 4: Type of back.
Speaker 3: But I think that does also allow Spiller and Dotson to be a part of this offense because I think they do bring different things that Gus Edwards maybe doesn't. And if you look at the way the Ravens deployed things, did find other guys like a Justice Hill to try to be more of a receiver back, if you will, a third down back to what kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you if you look at the way that the Ravens had constructed the room. In the past, they almost always, I feel like, have a guy who they trusted to kind of do everything, and then a physical goal to go short yardage guy and then a speed, you know, pass catcher, special teams player. So obviously you know what the Chargers feel like with Isaiah Spiller and Elijah Doatson remains to be seen. But they have their short yardage guy. They obviously do not have a guy that they trust fully to be like a true rby one at.
Speaker 1: This point in time.
Speaker 2: Maybe that becomes something probably that they address next year.
Speaker 1: But I tend to agree.
Speaker 2: You look at the balance that the Ravens had this past season with Gus Edwards and Keaton Mitchell specifically in like the second half of the season, like Keaton Mitchell was the perfect compliment to Gus Edwards. You mentioned a couple of guys there. I know a lot of people in charge or just Twitter like Camani Vigall as well, you know Marshall Lloyd has the connection to you know, the coaching staff. Obviously, maybe Gus Edwards gives you the flexibility to take somebody who could be more in early down back as well, and maybe you get you know, Elijah Dotsons is to kind of handle your your pass catching duties going forward.
Speaker 1: So it is gonna be really interesting.
Speaker 2: I know Jordan Reid was on this channel a couple of weeks ago talking about Braylan Allen from Wisconsin being like.
Speaker 1: The perfect Jim Harbaugh guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would want to two hundred and forty pound backs, but maybe the Chargers do. Maybe they do want that kind of physicality and the running back room to really set the town going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree, And just looking through the list of running backs that I've watched, I don't know if that means that Blake Quorum is the best fit. And again, unless they want to double down at the specific type, although Blake Orham smaller, five seven, et cetera. But like Audric Estime from Notre Dame, I don't think like he is the fit if they want something different. I don't think Kendall Milton from Georgia later on guy is quite the fit there, so like I don't think Isaiah Davis is quite the fit if they want someone different. So, like you said, Marshawn Lloyd again, Blake Watson, who I really like, Dylan Law from New Hampshire. I think Benson could still work because, like you said, he do it all back. I think that totally fits, but probably too early. So I really do like the rounds like three to five, if not six and seven as well of this class. But I do like that the Chargers got Edwards to just kind of be their guy for sure. Should they miss out on a couple of guys because there aren't a ton in this class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't want to go into the draft with still needing a guy to like set your tone, like gusaid, We're just going to come in and be that guy.
Speaker 1: So again, pretty good.
Speaker 2: Value here for the Chargers in terms of total contract value. He's going to come in a million dollars less than what PFF had Hitim projected, So you know, the Chargers probably felt like they couldn't, you know, afford one of the expensive running backs because frankly, they were pretty expensive. So Gus Edwards, I'm a fan of this deal. The next one here obviously this is first day day one, but Will Disney Man, the Chargers have a blocking tight end. I'm so excited about this one. I've said this on our channel for years. The Seattle Seahawks tight end room has been my favorite room to watch because all three of their guys could block, could catch, do everything. So Will Disney specifically, he's going to be your inline blocking tight end. He's not going to offer you a ton of receiving upside, but in the run game, he's a guy that again is going to set the tone. This is a sixty five, two hundred and sixty pounds tight end and from argin men on our guy, he's he said that. Will Disley has been top eighteen among all tight ends in run blocking eight grade each of the last three seasons. In twenty twenty he was injured, but the last three seasons he was a fantastic blocker. Last season he was actually second in the league in run blocking grade. And this is a great fit for what the Chargers have needed. Again, similar to us Edwards, you just need somebody to come in stabilize the room, set the tone, be able to handle all the dirty work that you need of a true tight end to in this kind of offense. Will Desey is going to bring all that and more. Obviously has a connection to Sanday Law, the wide receivers coach of the Chargers, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 1: So just checks a lot of boxes.
Speaker 2: I've been asking for a blocking tight end ever since Virgil Green broke his ankle a.
Speaker 1: Few years ago.
Speaker 2: So this is this is a real great move from the Chargers, good value, and since he was cut by the Seattle Seahawks, he does not count against the compic formula.
Speaker 1: We know how much Joe Ortiz loves those compics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cycle of compicks.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Steven. I don't know if the Chargers are going to win a Super Bowl this year, but this is our Super Bowl up. Blocking tight end is our Super Bowl. We have been asking for one for years now because when you turn on the film, you're watching a game live, when you see protections breakdown or maybe the Chargers can't run the football, and the first thought is what, it's the play callers, it's the offensive line, it's the running backs. The tight ends don't always get brought up when you're watching the broadcast view. You turn on the film next few days and you just see, unfortunately over the past several years and several players they just could not hold up blocking wise, and that the call was great, the offensive.
Speaker 4: Line protected well.
Speaker 3: I think the running back went the right way, but just because the tight end could not hold that block and sustain that block, the run game suffered. It was unfortunate to watch just those the one play or player just not.
Speaker 4: Quite hold up with Disney. You get that.
Speaker 3: And if you're curious what the Seattle tight end blocking group looks like, go look at the two hundred and seventeen yards and two touchdowns they put up on the Chargers a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Like, I promise they can block.
Speaker 3: And that's when I really fell in love with how Seattle blocked because rewatching that game, it wasn't just like a good player, it was a really great system and they blocked well, and they blocked together and so distantly doing that for the Chargers.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good stuff.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm really really excited.
Speaker 3: The big question, I think, more so than any name we've brought up so far, is how does this impact the draft, and in particular one individual in brock Bowers. I think I personally believe it mostly rules out a tight end every other point in the draft, although I'm not opposed by any means, but this specifically related to brock Bowers. How do you feel now that Disley has reportedly signed of the Chargers.
Speaker 4: Odds are taking Bowers at five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like you mentioned in terms of a late tight end, like I don't think you need to do like the whole like a J. Barner thing or like Tip Ryman in terms of like the late day three blocking tight ends. If you're going to get a tight end in the draft, it's got to be somebody who can bring some dual upside in terms of being a blocker and a pass catcher.
Speaker 1: The stuff. With Howers, I just.
Speaker 2: I think at number five he's a value because I think he's a generational tight end prospect. But from a financial standpoint, I get it like he is. He is not a financial value at number five, maybe not even in the top ten. But you know, I think the Chargers would have to trade down quite a bit in order to take brock Powers, just based off of like the needs and the cap situation and everything like that. So I don't think it rules it out, Like I don't think I don't think signing Gus Edwards rules out trade Benson in the second round or whatever the case may be. Like I think the Chargers are going to just want to draft good football players.
Speaker 1: I've just been kind.
Speaker 2: Of feeling more and more that number five specifically is going to be one of the wide receivers or an offensive tackle, just based off of like positional value and how kind of the Ravens have operated in that regard. But I don't think if they trade down and they're dematium between brock Powers, one of the corners or one of the pass rushers, that hey, we have willed Dissy, we're not taking brock Bowers. I don't think that's going to be how they operate either.
Speaker 3: No, I agree there, And as you've pointed out before, the Ravens with Joe Ortiz, granted not as the general manager, they've gone double dipped at tight end four times, four separate times. Now, Bauers Disley is a heck of a double dip, if that's kind of how you're viewing things.
Speaker 4: But I don't think that rules out.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think that if you're worried about anything for brock Bowers, it's maybe as an inline blocker, as a blocking tight end, you could now take Bauers and just say go have fun, just go do your thing. We're paying Will Disley a lot of money to block you go have fun. All those SEC players you treated like children like, just go do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Go have fun.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it rules out brock Bowers by any means at five. But I do think it, like you talked about it with Barner and some of these other guys, it rules out a guy later on.
Speaker 4: But again I'm not opposed either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the way that brock Bowers blocks would complement the way that Will they see blocks very well, because uh, Brock Barwers does a lot of like the h back secondary blocking tight end duties that he was able to do with Darnold Washington. Not to say that Will this he's gonna be Darnald Washington at Georgia because that guy was a freak at Georgia, but I.
Speaker 1: Think it fits well.
Speaker 2: I think like a Ben so Not from Kansas State would fit very well in that regard as well. THEO Johnson we've talked about, he kind of is more like your traditional inline tight end. But I don't think that signing Will Disley would preclude would preclude them from drafting THEO Johnson either, although THEO Johnson's draft stock might preclude them from drafting him because he's apparently soaring on board, So I would be a fan of, you know, taking Benson in like the fourth round, if that's the move, because he can do kind of some fullback stuff as well. We know that the Chargers are gonna want to have a fullback en route too, and Snat can do a lot of receiving things as well, so he's kind of more of like an ISSAA likely type, but probably better a blocker. So that would be a fun projection and I think that would be a fan. The last thing I'll say about will Disley. One thing I loved watching him when I would ever whenever I would watch the Seahawks tape is they would max protect with him essentially as like a six blocker quite often. And he's a very capable one on one pass protector, so he is a guy that they would trust pretty frequently, like blocking opposing edge rushers. He had a couple of good reps against Kloemac last season and excuse me in twenty twenty two one on one reps where he can just I'm going to set this edge. You guys kind of go handle your own thing. Maybe you chip with me as well. But he is a guy who can pass protect as well. So I think that will open up a lot of like the play action shot game where you keep will this Lee in you six man protect and he's a guy who can handle that kind of role too, which gives the Chargers a lot of flexibility to be able to access the deep parts of the field as well.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. Love to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yep, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So, uh, those are the moves that have been made today in terms of the free agency market. I'm going to check Twitter very quickly to see if they're was anything else that we missed in that regard, but doesn't look like there is for the Chargers. But the Chargers did make two official moves over the weekend, tendering Cameron Dicker as well as Foster Surrell. The the ERFA tag, if you will, is a little less than a million dollars on the contract, so if you're looking at over the cap or spot rack, the cap space number for the Chargers has changed a little bit. But Tyler, your thoughts on bringing those two guys back, and maybe particular mister Cameron Dicker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's start with Foster Cerril first.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of Chargers fans went great, no offense to tackle at five. I don't think that's what that means. But I'm happy to have him back and hopefully he continues to develop. I don't know if he's still working with Duke Manyweather, but I believe this would be year two for him working with him, so I would assume.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so great, hope he continues to develop.
Speaker 3: As for Cameron Dicker, it's a no brainer in whatever capacity. If you said the veteran minimum or the er you RFA tag or forty two million dollars, I would have said, Okay, you know whatever. I think the guy absolutely deserves it regardless because he's he's awesome.
Speaker 4: And the Chargers have maybe had a kicker.
Speaker 3: Who in five games has been good for one year has been good, but about about two years now with Cameron Dicker and hitting over ninety percent, and he's projected to be if he continues this pace, one of the most accurate field goal kickers in NFL history, And yeah, I'm on board with that. So my reaction to that is, I don't know, like putting the eagle noise behind me and get him to the Pro Bowl next year.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody can get ready to vote for him this year. We I wasn't super familiar with this with this specific tagline from the NFL. We we had Alex Katzen from Charters Wire, who does draft stuff for us on our own channel, and he, you know, he kind of expanded upon this that the ERFA tag locks him in for this year and then Cameron Dicker would be a restricted free agent next year. So the going to have elite kicker play on a very cost controlled contract for the next two years for the Chargers. I mean, the kicker market's not like exploding, but like Will Lutts got like fourteen million dollars today on the market and he is significantly worse than Camera Dicker was last year. So this is this is great news for the Chargers. We've talked a lot about Ryan Ficken and the work that he's done. You know, Cameron Dicker was not necessarily like an elite kicking prospect by any means. He did some punting work at the Senior Bowl. A lot of people thought he could be a punter in the NFL too, And Ryan Ficken and Chris Gold have really done a fantastic job of just building up Cameron Dicker's confidence I know a lot of people after twenty twenty two were like, we don't know if Cameron Dicker can hit from fifty plus, Like what kind of leg does he have? Like how does he handle more clutch moments in year two? Like was this kind of put intendent lightning on a bottle situation from a kicker standpoint? And they just have continued to pour resources, poor great coaching into him and now nobody had any concerns about his leg and the distance that he can hit from. And you know, every single time he tried it out for for a field goal that was over forty eight yards, like I felt like I could walk away because I just trusted him to make it, you know, and I didn't have to stress and worry and have anxiety about whether or not this kicker was gonna make it. So it's just been a ton of fun to watch him play. He's got a great personality obviously as well. He was working out with some actor recently. I forget his name. He was in Top Gun, The Blonde Guy.
Speaker 4: My sister will kill me for not Glenn Powell.
Speaker 1: Glenn Palell. There we go. Yeah, I was working out with Glenn Powell in Texas.
Speaker 2: The other day like, so it's it's just it's it's a lot of fun to see his personality shine through. The Chargers obviously did a great job with the Pro Bowl media thing as well, and hopefully that happens again next year. We need a better call Saul sequel for next season. But overall, man like and also your sens I'm excited about Camera Dicker's future.
Speaker 1: The Chargers getting elite kicker play.
Speaker 2: And I probably less than two million dollars over the next two seasons is very very fun to see as.
Speaker 3: Well, so so nice, and I think only Chargers fans get this. I don't know if there's another team that gets it like Chargers fans get it. And what it means to have Cameron Dicker obviously with the personality and everything, is so great to have him on the team. But I mean, it used to be when the Chargers would go out to kick, I'd sit there and I wouldn't even look. My dad would have to tell me, or I would just like like shrink into my seat. You know, I couldn't even watch it. Now I just go get nachos. Dude, there's a there's a sixty five yard field goal on the way, I'll just go get.
Speaker 4: Some chips, dude, Cameron Dicker is gonna get that.
Speaker 3: It's awesome, awesome to have him returning, can be with the team for another year, in several more years. I hope this is not his temporary home, because it's certainly where he belongs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent agree there. Yeah, Foster Sourel excited to have him back as well. I think, you know, he's he's a developmental tackle, you know. I think he showed some good good signs last season and limited action, but you know, we'll kind of see what happens there. Yes, it does not mean anything about the draft as much as I want to see Foster Strell do well. If the charge want to tackle, they'll they'll still take one, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Tyler.
Speaker 2: Any other thoughts about anything that happened today or this weekend.
Speaker 4: For the Chargers.
Speaker 3: Nothing yet, but we do obviously have some There are still more positions to fill here. There are a lot more There's a lot more work that has to get done, but so far, I'm confident that they will get it done.
Speaker 4: A plus starts so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as it currently stands, Again, these moves that we talked about today have not become official official yet, so the Chargers, like I mentioned the camera dicker at Foster Strell moves are official. So the Chargers currently have negative twenty one million dollars in cap space. There's as of recording this, there have not been any resolution on the quote unquote Big four. Something has to be done before Wednesday. So by Wednesday at one pm, the Chargers do have to be cap compliant, so somebody is going to get moved. We'll see what happens there. The other thing, in terms of financially, Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa, who reportedly are available via trade according to alber Beard, Diana Rossini and several others, they both have roster bonuses due on Friday, So Friday maybe a potential kind of soft deadline for the Chargers if they don't want to pay those bonuses to move one of the edge rushers. And then by all accounts, it sounds like Keenan Allen is here to stay, which is the right decision as well. Again, nothing official there, but they still have time. I know people are starting to be a little antsy about things.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: Something will happen by Wednesday by one pm. Because they have to. They have to do that in order to be CAP compliant, and then we'll kind of see what happens after that.
Speaker 4: Well, Chargers fans a bit antsy, not us. We would never do that.
Speaker 1: I would never I have also ansy for what it's worth.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, well that's a you problem. Go to the gym, buddy, let.
Speaker 4: It out, buddy.
Speaker 3: The Chargers, in whatever shapewear form they do it, they will become CAP compliant. Joe Orgiesus said as much. He has no choice, and he's joked about that.
Speaker 4: No choice. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: What the moves are we don't know as of right now at five point forty one on Monday.
Speaker 4: I do not know, but the Charger won't figure it out.
Speaker 3: And I certainly don't think you go out and make these reported moves and bring back Aali Gillman without this plan already being in place. So I think that if it's two moves, if it's three whatever, in some way, shape or form, I think they've been decided. And I just think we're just waiting on the announcement. By the time you hear this episode, I'm sure something might come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, the Chargers have to be CAP compliant, and then now they have these three moves to make official on Wednesday, So it sounds like that's that's probably coming down to the home stretch there. I'm sure you know, things came out over the weekend that the Chargers are open for business. They're taking calls on most of the veteran players. I kind of doubt that they're taking calls on Keenan Allen personally, as much as people might think that. But if you're the Chargers, you have no reason to rush into this decision. You know, you're your incentive, as Johorties is to explore every possible avenue, see if you can, you know, collect some valuable draft resources for one of these guys. Maybe you're talking to them about taking a pay cut, restructuring extensions, all this stuff. So if you're Joe Ortiz, why rush into making this decision? As much as I and others would like to see a resolution happen, if you're him, like, export every single possible avenue, turn over every stone, make sure you know you're you're reaching out to all these teams. Hey, like, you never know who is going to trade for what I mean, the line traded for a corner. Everybody kind of expected them to trade for lagerious need and instead it's one of the Tampa Bay corners. So you just you never know, like what teams have strong impressions of these other players, and so work the phones, talk to the agents, see what kind of avenues.
Speaker 1: You have here.
Speaker 2: So if you're the Chargers, like you continue to be patient, you play this thing out. You know you have to get things done before Wednesday at one. But there's no real need to rush into that decision either.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. And they take these calls. Every team takes these calls no matter what. There's only one truly untradeable player on the Chargers, and that's a long snapper, Josh Harris. He's the only person you just never pick up the phone before. I'll respect Josh Harris. I've interviewed him.
Speaker 4: He's great.
Speaker 3: But every player not that these players aren't safe, but you always you always take you take the call. You never know, or you make the call. You know the other team you make that call. Tom Tolesco, Hey, Kilt Mac is available. Oh, Kalimax available. Let's go get Khalil Mack. You know, Tyreek Hill was basically untouchable, not available. Dolphins make that call and it turns out, oh, he might actually be available, and they go out and get at him. So you know, make these calls, take these calls. It's a part of it. But we'll see what happens in the next few days.
Speaker 4: No rush to get it done though, No rush except for the part where you have to get it done by Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except for the deadline that you know, we all have deadlines in life, so sometimes you're able to be patient and maybe this turns into a rushing situation, stressful situation on Tuesday night, but you know, they have to get things done by Wednesday in order to sign these players to their contracts. Which as on aside, the whole tampering thing is hilarious to me because like it used to just be like, oh, like they agreed to terms. Like now we have like official contract details before these players are even signing the contracts, like we already know how much the signing bonus is, how much of the year two count is, Like everything comes out now in the tampering period, but they can't sign until Wednesday, which is just goofy to me at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean by the time I can send like one tweet, they've already got all these contract details and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, look at that and every structure and this and that, and not only that, but they have a subsequent move. You know, there was a move for Josh Jacobs and there's a let go of Aaron Jones and they're like, wow, you had that all figured out within the last two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It takes me longer to make trades in fantasy.
Speaker 3: Football or pick up football than it is for these two supposedly happen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'll never forget the free agency two years ago where it's like, oh, the tampering period comes open, but it's like everybody's like, oh, it's gonna be a little bit and like literally, at like nine and like thirty seconds, Adam Schefter tweeted out that the Bengals had signed a guard from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, like right away, and it's like, oh, okay, So you know, it's just it's silly to me. All these deals happen at the combine, let's be real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not for the Chargers though, whatever.
Speaker 2: All alrighty then, so I think that's going to do it for us today, unless you had any other.
Speaker 1: Thoughts, Tyler, Nope, all right, sounds good. Hopefully guys enjoy that episode.
Speaker 2: Really excited to see what the Chargers have in store the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: We'll have you.
Speaker 2: Covered over on our channel, I the Guilty as Charge Podcast, so please go tune in, make sure like comment subscribe here on the Chargers channel. Chris and Matt will have you covered later on in the week to cover the other moves that happen on here, so be sure to stay tuned for that one. Appreciate the Charges for having us as always, thanks to Greg Kim for producing. And that's going to do it for us today. With you guys next week as always, bull Time